PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most undervalued Yankee?

dander
05-06-00, 11:01 PM
Over the long haul,I think the most undervalued Yankee is Bernie Williams.He is turning out to be an excellent player and keeps on improving.He chases down balls in center field with the very best and his avg.is always .300 or better;look at his RBI's and homerun totals.What do you think?

JimF
05-07-00, 04:27 PM
Nah, Bernie makes his money. I'd say probably ElDuque. What does he make $700,000 per year? That is chicken feed compared to what most players make. He is probably the second best pitcher in the AL, but makes substantially less than anyone else in the top 5. El Duque is the man, but he needs a better agent! :)

#1PaFan
05-07-00, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I agree with ya Jimbo.

The topic was "Undervalued." It HAS to be El Duque.

26 in '00

"Odd Fart to a Mean Moron."

Yankee Fan Sedere in equo
05-07-00, 06:19 PM
I'll agree with El Duque. Jason Grimsley is also another guy; he does his job just as well as other relievers in the bullpen, but makes far less than they do. He may not be as big of a bargain as Hernandez, but he is a bargain at that.

Hernandez is making 1.8 million this year (well, 1.35, but 1.8 if he wins 15 games, and pardon me for being presumptuous, but I believe he'll win at least 15)

MAFIA
05-10-00, 07:42 AM
HOW about MENDOZA, clutch, what's he makeing 1.4 million?

Jaycee593
05-10-00, 05:17 PM
El Duque, yes.
I'm not sure how much money the other players are making, but he is undervalued. Very much so.

Nome
05-12-00, 08:30 AM
This question is much like the controversy of the MVP. Does it mean the player most valuable to his team, or the Player of the year?

In this case the term undervalued has certain connotations. Do you want to know who the most undervalued player is? Or the most underrated, or the most underappreciated, or some other concept?

Bernie might be underrated but he is not undervalued. Posada might be undervalued and Knoblauch might be the most underappreciated.

Comments?

yanxfan
05-12-00, 04:54 PM
I thought El Duque was making $2 mil. a year. Wasn't that the controversy at the time of his signing...paying someone so much money when he didn't even throw one pitch in the major leagues? :confused:

I'd have to go with Mendoza . . . money-wise and glory-wise. It seems like the only people who truly appreciate him are we fans. The man has done everything asked of him time after time with nary a complaint. You always hear how valuable he is to the team, but he hasn't, as yet, been rewarded. Hopefully his time will come soon because he really deserves it.

- Maureen

JimF
05-12-00, 04:58 PM
ElDuque is making $1,950,000 this year. That is WAY undervalued.

Yankee Fan Sedere in equo
05-12-00, 09:35 PM
Are you sure about that Jim? They had a segment on CNNSI about underrated ball players and they mention Orlando Hernandez's contract having him at 1.35 million going up to 1.8 if he wins 15 in the 2000 season.

allybear
05-12-00, 09:45 PM
I'd have to go with Posada - he has surprised everyone this year, and at the beginning of the season, he was definitely the most undervalued and underappreciated.

And I was one of the "under-appreciators", what can I say?

JimF
05-13-00, 03:29 AM
Emm, that figure was from ESPN.com. That's all I can say; if it's wrong, then it's wrong. If it's right, then it's right. I'm certainly no "insider", I get all my info from a third party as do all of you.

It said 1.95 as of Opening Day. It is possible that they have modified the contract since then, but I don't remember hearing anything.

Just one more mystery to add to the "El Duque"... ;)

Meggie- Posada is unappreciated, yes; but he makes his money, too. After this year I don't think he'll be "un" anything. Maybe just un-poor. ;)