PDA

View Full Version : Henson plays in extended spring game



Jim F.
06-05-01, 03:20 PM
Henson plays in extended spring game

June 5, 2001


CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) -- New York Yankees third base prospect Drew Henson went 2-for-4 with three RBIs in an extended spring training game Tuesday, his first game since breaking his left hand seven weeks ago.

Against the Philadelphia Phillies extended team, Henson had an RBI triple in the first inning and a two-run double in the sixth.

Henson was sidelined after being hit by a pitch while playing for Class-A Tampa in a Florida State League game April 14. He could join Triple-A Columbus by mid-June.

Henson signed a $17 million, six-year contract with the Yankees in March. As part of the deal, he agreed to give up football. The starting quarterback at Michigan last season, Henson was considered a potential first-round draft pick in next year's NFL draft.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news/ap/20010605/ap-yankees-henson.html

Chris
06-05-01, 03:22 PM
Good game.

Who do they play in these extended spring games?

Gator
06-05-01, 03:28 PM
This guy amazes me - he hardly plays baseball for much of last year, he goes and quarterbacks the University of Michigan team all winter, he then comes back to baseball, he misses seven weeks with a broken hand, then he comes back and goes 2-4 with a triple and a double.

Bub
06-05-01, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by chriscary
Good game.

Who do they play in these extended spring games? Darned if I can find out. Maybe it's just a bunch of players coming off various sorts of injuries? I doubt very much that the level of competition is very great, so I wouldn't read much into the double and triple. Good to know that he can at least swing the bat hard, even if the pitches are meatballs.

Elfdood
06-05-01, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by ElDuque110
This guy amazes me - he hardly plays baseball for much of last year, he goes and quarterbacks the University of Michigan team all winter, he then comes back to baseball, he misses seven weeks with a broken hand, then he comes back and goes 2-4 with a triple and a double. Don't get too excited - don't forget Freon Deion's first game back. :)

Ct.Fan
06-05-01, 05:04 PM
Hope he has his Helmut on...Rick Ankiel checked in down there a few days ago! Glad to hear he is back on the field.

Gator
06-05-01, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Elfdood
Don't get too excited - don't forget Freon Deion's first game back. :)

Yikes. Thanks for reminding me. Well, like they say, now Deion can't hit in TWO sports.

DandyRandy48
06-06-01, 05:49 PM
Who gives a ................... it's Drew Henson.