PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated Predictions

EnterNight42
03-28-06, 04:36 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2006/previews/yankees.html

They picked the Yankees to win the division and the White Sox to repeat

Oh, but they couldn't get the New York batting order right... unless Miguel Cairo became our starting 2B and no one told me. Morons.

KevinBaseball
03-28-06, 04:43 PM
I don't see how they could make that mistake, unless they are making a prediction for down the road.

Jeter Kid
03-28-06, 04:44 PM
LOL, Miguel starting over Robby....

Sam18
03-28-06, 04:48 PM
Who cares about their predictions. Their guesses are as good as any of ours.

btw didn't they pick the Rangers(hockey) to finish last this year?

RhodyYanksFan
03-28-06, 04:57 PM
Wow...what risk takers they are. Did they pick the Braves to win the NL East and then lose the NLDS again too?

Didn't every magazine pick the Red Sox to repeat in 2005 too?

UncleSam
03-28-06, 05:10 PM

I don't really recall many doing that.

Sam18
03-28-06, 05:11 PM
Wow...what risk takers they are. Did they pick the Braves to win the NL East and then lose the NLDS again too?

I'd rather have a magazine/sports writer make a normal prediction like the whitesox repeating than some jerk off lunatic predicting the Yankees winning 80 games.

UncleSam
03-28-06, 05:17 PM
I'd rather have a magazine/sports writer make a normal prediction like the whitesox repeating than some jerk off lunatic predicting the Yankees winning 80 games.

Given all the starting pitching the White Sox have coming back, it seems like a pretty solid selection.

hellonewman
03-28-06, 05:19 PM
Oh, but they couldn't get the New York batting order right... unless Miguel Cairo became our starting 2B and no one told me. Morons.At least it's not like Dayn Perry who wants Cano to platoon with Andy Phillips. :wtf:

Seriously ... is the fact that Robinson Cano is the Yankees starting second baseman some sort of mysterious secret that the national media just can't get their hands around? :confused: :confused: :confused:

SheffRocks11
03-28-06, 05:25 PM
At least it's not like Dayn Perry who wants Cano to platoon with Andy Phillips. :wtf:

Seriously ... is the fact that Robinson Cano is the Yankees starting second baseman some sort of mysterious secret that the national media just can't get their hands around? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Apparently...

JeffWeaverFan
03-28-06, 05:26 PM
They did indeed.

TheMick@ND
03-28-06, 05:59 PM
Magazine predictions are almost as bad as magazines' fantasy baseball issues. Some the player rankings in ESPN the magazine's fantasy baseball issue are just comical especially the pitchers and outfielders.

Sam18
03-28-06, 06:00 PM
Given all the starting pitching the White Sox have coming back, it seems like a pretty solid selection.

Yes, I agree.

27IsNext
03-28-06, 06:03 PM
My pick is the White Sox too, although I want badly a Yankees-Braves series again.

Sam18
03-28-06, 06:08 PM
My pick is the White Sox too, although I want badly a Yankees-Braves series again.

Honestly though, I don't think the sox pitchers are gonna be as lucky as last year. And their hitting just sucks. I see the Indians winning the division. Again, not saying that the whitesox don't have a chance but I just see the Indians doing better. And of course the Yankees are winning the WS. :)

Pocketaces1232
03-28-06, 06:52 PM
Honestly though, I don't think the sox pitchers are gonna be as lucky as last year. And their hitting just sucks. I see the Indians winning the division. Again, not saying that the whitesox don't have a chance but I just see the Indians doing better. And of course the Yankees are winning the WS. :)

I don't know, there hitting isn't that bad. Thome has been having a great Spring and looks to be on the rebuond after a horrible 05. Everyone said they lacked the long ball threat last year outside of Konerko, and they still won. Not to mention they added another homerun guy in Thome. CF is the only position I see them weak at with Brian Anderson and Rob Mackowiak platooning. Podsednik will still be a leadoff and base stealing threat. Their pitching only got better with he addition of Vasquez. I could definetly see them repeating, especially over the Indians. Outside of Sabathia and Westbrook their pitching staff doesn't scare me at all.

ConnYanksFan
03-28-06, 09:33 PM
The Angels brought back most of their '02 championship team in 2003 and didn't even finish above .500. Now I'm not saying that the White Sox will have the same fate but I think they will see a little bit of a drop off. Jon Garland had an unbelieveable season last year and I question whether he can repeat those numbers. Was it a career turning season or just a flash in the pan? Anyone else remember when Kent Bottenfield came out of nowhere and won 18 games for the Cardinals in '99?

The White Sox will win the Central but they aren't going to cruise through the play offs like they did last season.

Dog Named Fred
03-28-06, 09:59 PM
Jon Garland had an unbelieveable season last year and I question whether he can repeat those numbers. Was it a career turning season or just a flash in the pan?
The White Sox will win the Central but they aren't going to cruise through the play offs like they did last season.

Garland has been a highly touted prospect for years and he had a great first half last year, an okay second half and a great playoffs. The fact is, other than Buehrle, none of the White Sox starters were great last year. They were consistently good for most of the season with an extended hiccup towards the end before they all picked it up in the postseason.

Where their luck was last year was in none of them getting hurt. The five starters combined for something like 152 starts. But they do have Brandon McCarthy ready to join the rotation if they have an injury this year.

All that said, with the Indians worse this year than last and the Twins not looking like a real threat (barring an incredible rookie season by Liriano and an insane comeback by the likes of Tony Batista and Rondell White, the AL Central should belong to the White Sox this year.

Whether they can all peak in the postseason like last year and have the luck of facing the Angels without Colon and the Astros effectively without Clemens remains to be seen, not to mention a few key calls that fell their way. I certainly hope not and I think I won't be disapppointed.

flymick24
03-28-06, 10:00 PM
mark my words: losing el duque will hurt the sox, maybe not so much during the regular season, but come playoff time, they will have lost a huge october asset

donnybball23
03-28-06, 11:33 PM
They have Posada as the CF as well. Obviously this was just thrown together.

NYDCYankee
03-28-06, 11:46 PM

He would probably be better out there than Bernie.

hellonewman
03-29-06, 12:14 AM
:lol: :lol:

Two CFs and no catcher ... to paraphrase Casey Stengel, they're going to have a lot of passed balls.

yankeesAZ
03-29-06, 12:31 AM
I don't even think the Sox will make the playoffs. Call it a lack of respect on my part, but I smell a letdown from last year.

jbauer2485
03-29-06, 01:23 AM
I'm still stuck on the Cairo\Cano mixup...

Arod for President
03-29-06, 09:07 AM
The SI GUYS have really been working hard guys! Why dont we give them a break :lol:

Yeah and there is NO way that the Chi Sox are gonna repeat. Do you know the chances of repeating?? you gotta be the NY Yankees or something!

mycroft
03-29-06, 10:40 AM
Cairo starting over Cano? Pretty funny.

White Sox were a 1 year wonder. Easy to jump on the bandwagon.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-29-06, 10:52 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2006/previews/yankees.html

They picked the Yankees to win the division and the White Sox to repeat

Oh, but they couldn't get the New York batting order right... unless Miguel Cairo became our starting 2B and no one told me. Morons.
Predictable. I suppose they just can't fathom the Yankees utilizing good, young players.

UncleSam
03-29-06, 11:04 AM
I don't even think the Sox will make the playoffs. Call it a lack of respect on my part, but I smell a letdown from last year.

While I understand the letdown part, let's realise that the Twins and Indians are arguably worse than last year. Couple that with the fact that the White Sox still have the dominant starting staff in the the AL and most of them are in their prime and they should be able to win the division again. At that point, they would have the best staff heading into the playoffs, and we all know what that usually means.

jimmyclark
03-29-06, 11:25 AM
They look like decent predictions. At least they are past the stage where they would make picks just to surprise people, like the Indians winning the World Series in 1987.

two-thou-zennn
03-29-06, 11:47 AM
That is weird with the Yankees. The Red Sox one is rather up to date with the Arroyo/Pena trade. The Sox line up is pretty close too. To mess up the Yankees is just a plain lack of professionalism by SI. Cairo a career back-up starting over a 15 hr 300 hitting young solid player. He is not great with the glove but to think Cairo would get nod is just plain dumb. Plus the typo of two CF. It is web site just log on and change it. SI really drop the ball.
Who really cares what SI think. It is interesting but gurrantted to be wrong.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-29-06, 11:50 AM
I've had the same feeling, but something tells me that most writers will assume this once any starting pitcher gets hurt for them. Beckett's pesky blisters may flare up again you know.

UncleSam
03-29-06, 11:55 AM
I've had the same feeling, but something tells me that most writers will assume this once any starting pitcher gets hurt for them. Beckett's pesky blisters may flare up again you know.

Wrong Sox.

YanksForLife
03-29-06, 12:56 PM
Who cares about their predictions. Their guesses are as good as any of ours.

Yeah, *%&@ SI.

BillBuckner
03-29-06, 01:03 PM
I stopped reading as soon as I saw the batting order.

defo550
03-29-06, 02:06 PM
That is weird with the Yankees. The Red Sox one is rather up to date with the Arroyo/Pena trade. The Sox line up is pretty close too. To mess up the Yankees is just a plain lack of professionalism by SI. Cairo a career back-up starting over a 15 hr 300 hitting young solid player. He is not great with the glove but to think Cairo would get nod is just plain dumb. Plus the typo of two CF. It is web site just log on and change it. SI really drop the ball.
Who really cares what SI think. It is interesting but gurrantted to be wrong.

The funny part is that in the body of the text they talk about Cano putting on 5 pounds of muscle and predicting an increase in his previous power numbers. But this is what I pretty much expect out of writers these days when talking about the Yankees.

Lucen
03-29-06, 03:19 PM
The SI GUYS have really been working hard guys! Why dont we give them a break :lol:

Yeah and there is NO way that the Chi Sox are gonna repeat. Do you know the chances of repeating?? you gotta be the NY Yankees or something!

The White Sox have a much better chance of repeating in 2006 than the Yankees. :D

JavyVazquezIsSick
03-29-06, 03:20 PM
The White Sox are deep throughout, although their bullpen will most likely be suspect this year...

UncleSam
03-29-06, 03:44 PM
The White Sox are deep throughout, although their bullpen will most likely be suspect this year...

I think their bullpen will be weaker, but I don't think it will be suspect. Also, given the number of innings the starters throw, their bullpen is not asked to get as many outs as some others are.

lem
03-29-06, 04:17 PM
"Cano" and "Cairo" do look pretty similar on a bad fax machine.

Heathnyy5
03-29-06, 06:32 PM
Why is anyone UPSET about this? Don't you all know of the dreaded SI jinx? Weren't the Yanks picked to win the WS either last year or the year before, and not during a SINGLE one of their 4 titles in 5 years from 1996-2000? Everytime during one of those years, SI decided the Yanks would lose. Then, in 2001, they annointed the Yanks ready for four in a row, and it didn't happen.

I'm not normally a superstitious person, but the fact is that the SI jinx (especially the SI cover jinx) and the Madden football jinx are welll known in their respective sports. The fact that the mag picked the NY Rangers to finish last, and DIDN'T have the Yanks as winning it all was just music to my ears.

And them getting the lineup wrong only makes things better, because just maybe, had they got it right, they'd have the Yankees winning it all instead of not. The fact is that, usually coming into a new season the Yanks are the front-runner and people almost forget who WON the title. But this year, the White Sox are coming back VERY strong, and it'll be interesting to see how this season plays out.

Of course though, I don't understand alltogether why any Yanks fans get upset when our team isn't picked to win it all. Surely it only matters in October whether or not the Yanks are on top of the game, not whether SI (and their great baseball writer, Tom Verducci) think the Yanks will win it in March or April.

yankeesAZ
03-29-06, 07:57 PM
Wrong Sox.

I'll up the ante and say neither Sox teams goes.

Casey37
03-29-06, 08:26 PM
I like it. No pressure on the Yankees to win the WS even though they have the talent to get there.

yankees76
03-30-06, 02:48 AM
I like the Jeter prediction for the batting title, but I don't think it will happen. Tony Gwynn is picking the Yankees over the Cubs in the WS on Yahoo Sports.

b_joseph
03-30-06, 04:44 AM
Predictions dont mean jack....

Last year they thought Giambi was going to fall on his face and for most of the year they said we'd miss the playoffs.

How did that work out?