PDA

View Full Version : Fan Favorite

yanksconstantino24
03-28-06, 02:34 PM
I really hope I don't get in any kinda trouble for posting this, but I found this article about Tino from Tampa Bay Online.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/MGBPRV1RBLE.html

TAMPA - Tino Martinez isn't quite ready to suit up for this year's old-timers' game at Yankee Stadium.

"Maybe when I reach my 40s," he said.

He figures it's much too soon into his retirement, which the Tampa native made formal last month at age 38 after a decade-and-a-half in the majors.

Still, were Martinez to stand along the foul line this summer beside the likes of Reggie Jackson, Yogi Berra and so many other Yankees greats, Don Zimmer has a pretty good idea what kind of reception they'd give the guy who radio voice John Sterling dubbed Bam-Tino.

"You could take all the big guys that are left [alive]," Zimmer said, "and have an old-timers' game and have them announce Tino Martinez, and he'll get an ovation like the top dogs. He's loved there."

Posting complete articles is NOT permitted - mod

DontHateOnNumber2
03-28-06, 02:54 PM
Nice to see all these milestones Tino achieved that I never knew about, but the link is there so there was no reason to take up all of this space! ;)

RhodyYanksFan
03-28-06, 03:01 PM
Good stuff. Tino will always be remembered and loved by Yankee fans.

Sixty one
03-28-06, 03:43 PM
I believe Zimmer said it best. When Tino is introduced at an old timers game in the Stadium, he'll get a bigger ovation than some of the hall of famers. He is just a class act, and what the Yankees have always tried to maintain with their players. :) :)

KevinBaseball
03-28-06, 04:14 PM
I believe Zimmer said it best. When Tino is introduced at an old timers game in the Stadium, he'll get a bigger ovation than some of the hall of famers. He is just a class act, and what the Yankees have always tried to maintain with their players. :) :)

Not Bigger than Mattingly.

apolansk
03-28-06, 05:46 PM
Not Bigger than Mattingly.

Tino has 4 of something that Donnie doesn't have. Not necessarily a knock on Donnie or his popularity, just something to consider on why Tino might get a bigger ovation if he goes to OTD

KLJ
03-28-06, 06:40 PM
Tino has 4 of something that Donnie doesn't have. Not necessarily a knock on Donnie or his popularity, just something to consider on why Tino might get a bigger ovation if he goes to OTD
i don't believe for a second that anyone would get more applause than mattingly.. not that it matters...

JDPNYY
03-28-06, 06:42 PM
Tino wouldn't start at 1B on the Yankees Old Timer's Team.

KLJ
03-28-06, 07:04 PM
Tino wouldn't start at 1B on the Yankees Old Timer's Team.

:D can't even make the argument about him being a good fielder.. nobody was better than 23...

hellonewman
03-28-06, 07:09 PM
Tino wouldn't start at 1B on the Yankees Old Timer's Team.He'd start on one of them. Mattingly would start on the other. Though I hear Kevin Maas may be poised for a breakout season.

JDPNYY
03-28-06, 07:10 PM
He'd start on one of them. Mattingly would start on the other. Though I hear Kevin Maas may be poised for a breakout season.

Tino's not getting the starting nod over Joe Pepitone. No way.

NYYBombshell
03-28-06, 07:11 PM
Are you allowed to post whole articles here?

As for what KLJ said, I agree. Mattingly would get way more applause than Tino.

hellonewman
03-28-06, 07:14 PM
Tino's not getting the starting nod over Joe Pepitone. No way.Unfortunately, since I read "Ball Four," I cannot think of Joe Pepitone withouth thinking of popcorn. :eek:

stephsamps
03-28-06, 07:46 PM
TINO is the only player I have ever heard cheered when he got a hit against the Yankees (it was Mo actually). There's a lot of love for him. Nice article.

yanksconstantino24
03-28-06, 09:10 PM
TINO is the only player I have ever heard cheered when he got a hit against the Yankees (it was Mo actually). There's a lot of love for him. Nice article.

He also got cheered as a member of the Cardinals, when he homered off Andy Pettitte. Later in the game, Tino got a standing ovation after hitting a second homerun off Jason Anderson. (The Yankees had a huge lead at that time).

bagger015
03-28-06, 09:40 PM
:D Tino will always be welcome by me..............again thanks for the memories.........:)