PDA

View Full Version : Kaat Leaving YES After 2006 Season?

SoCal Pinstriper
03-26-06, 03:15 AM
I really hope that they can convince him to stick around.

Jim Kaat's 12th consecutive season (13th overall) as the Yankees' lead TV analyst could be his last. That's what well-embedded Yankee moles are saying. These spies contend Kaat has already decided to say adios to the Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network following the 2006 season.

When asked, Kaat did not rule out the possibility of this being his final season behind the YES microphone. He said he has not yet made up his mind. Kaat said YES brass has worked hard to accommodate him, in terms of his broadcast schedule and the number of games he works.

"So far it has been a comfortable arrangement," Kaat said. "As long as they want me, I'll evaluate it year to year. I have to continue to guage what my enjoyment level (in the booth) is."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/402951p-341293c.html

SoCal Pinstriper
03-26-06, 03:21 AM
Damn it. Wrong Forum. Sorry mods. Please move this to OTL.

Thanks in advance and sorry again.

Nome
03-26-06, 06:59 AM
That's a shame. I really like him.

Andy

ieddyi
03-26-06, 06:59 AM
I really enjoy what Kaat brings to the broadcasts- paritcularly his honesty.

The one thing I don't get is his thing for Arod. He has repeatedly said " Arod has a slider speed bat" as if Arod can't get around on a ML fastball. THe numbers would indicate otherwise- like he's go a slow bat, but just manages to be one of the best offensive players w/o being able to hit a FB???

Boogiedown Bomber
03-26-06, 07:06 AM
I also really like him, especially when he talks about pitching. IMO, he's the only consistent foil to Mick Kay in the booth. Why can't Michael Kay leave instead?????

NYJets37
03-26-06, 12:27 PM
I also really like him, especially when he talks about pitching. IMO, he's the only consistent foil to Mick Kay in the booth. Why can't Michael Kay leave instead?????

My thoughts exactly.

Mr. Mxylsplk
03-26-06, 12:48 PM
This would be disappointing. It's not a great broadcast team to begin with, and he's one of the better ones.

Chacon
03-26-06, 01:01 PM
He is my favorite guy in the YES booth and it would be very lame if he were to leave

Anyone else find his infatutation with Vernon Wells very strange?

Boogiedown Bomber
03-26-06, 01:49 PM
Anyone else find his infatutation with Vernon Wells very strange?

Funny you say that b/c the moment I read your line, in my mind, I heard him talk about Vernon Wells. It is a bit odd, I must say.

Rich
03-26-06, 01:57 PM
From the article:

Kaat said his reluctance to discuss those steroids revelations concerning Gary Sheffield in the book "Game of Shadows," was a matter of not knowing the whole story.

"All I knew about the book was it was about (Barry) Bonds. I heard Michael (Kay) make that comment (Wednesday in the first inning of Red Sox-Yankees on YES) that Sheffield was mentioned in the book," Kaat said. "I wasn't going to make a comment on something I didn't actually read."

He does that with Moneyball on a regular basis.

Kaat knows pitching, but most of his other comments are useless.

DandyAndy46
03-26-06, 02:22 PM
From the article:

Kaat said his reluctance to discuss those steroids revelations concerning Gary Sheffield in the book "Game of Shadows," was a matter of not knowing the whole story.

"All I knew about the book was it was about (Barry) Bonds. I heard Michael (Kay) make that comment (Wednesday in the first inning of Red Sox-Yankees on YES) that Sheffield was mentioned in the book," Kaat said. "I wasn't going to make a comment on something I didn't actually read."

Or maybe he feels that he should do some homework before he opens his mouth, too bad all of the other talking heads around baseball don't feel the same way...

I would also disagree that most of his other comments are useless...it seems to me he knows quite a bit about baseball in general and more importantly he really isn't terribly concerned with kissing Big Stein's fanny...

Rich
03-26-06, 02:36 PM
Or maybe he feels that he should do some homework before he opens his mouth, too bad all of the other talking heads around baseball don't feel the same way...

I would also disagree that most of his other comments are useless...it seems to me he knows quite a bit about baseball in general and more importantly he really isn't terribly concerned with kissing Big Stein's fanny...

My point is that he doesn't do his homework about Moneyball, because the way he talks about it, it's clear that he hasn't read it, and he opens his mouth anyway.

You're entitled to your opinion.

dabomb2045
03-26-06, 02:51 PM
I really enjoy what Kaat brings to the broadcasts- paritcularly his honesty.

The one thing I don't get is his thing for Arod. He has repeatedly said " Arod has a slider speed bat" as if Arod can't get around on a ML fastball. THe numbers would indicate otherwise- like he's go a slow bat, but just manages to be one of the best offensive players w/o being able to hit a FB???

I think his point (I agree with it btw) is that compared to some of the other better hitters in the league...his swing is much longer, and alot slower.

SI Baseballman
03-26-06, 11:41 PM
Kaat is the one Yankee announcer I love. It'll be a shame to see him go.

JamieMadrox
03-27-06, 12:59 AM
This is horrible, Jim Kaat is the one Yankee announcer worth listening to, the rest of the broadcast team is just atrocious.

Michael Kay, I can't even listen to him...

David Justice is the biggest tool in the universe, and it seems like he wants it to be that way...

Paul O'Neill is a moron whose only redeeming quality is the way he says "Kiiiiiitty" when referring to Jim Kaat, effectively being taken away if Kaat retires...

Seriously, Kaat is a very knowledgeable, humble, smart announcer and it would be a shame to see him go, as I'd have to go ahead and mute all the games after 2006.

Chacon
03-27-06, 06:07 AM
There is a severe lack of Ken Singleton love in this thread

ryanthe13th
03-27-06, 06:12 AM
Why am I the only person who doesn't mind David Justice in the broadcast booth?

Sixty one
03-27-06, 09:17 AM
I hope this isn't true. Jim Kaat is a true professional who is very honest and is not intimidated by the General dictating what he can and not say in the booth. Even though I don't always agree with his opinions, I still enjoy his knowledge of the game. Let's hope they find a way of keeping him in the YES booth next year. :)

effdamets
03-27-06, 09:29 AM
No... I like David Justice in the booth.... I'd prefer he stick with post game analysis though.

I like when formerly players/managers go to the booth because they can give insight as to what a player feels in a certain situation, or how guys prepare for games at a particular time of year... More like close up and personal information instead of dopey, unnecessary long words and retarded jokes by MK.

I think that Kaat is great in the booth. He is the connection between the old school baseball and the current day baseball. He has all the old rememdies for players troubles that I love hearing about... And he doesn't seem to be afraid to say something negative about a player.

I really want to read his book, "Still Pitching". Anyone read it? Reviews?

Yankees1962
03-27-06, 09:32 AM
There is a lack of love for anybody outside of Kaat in this thread. The only Yankee announcer that bothers me is Murcer, who I feel doesn't give me anything during his broadcasts.

gdn
03-27-06, 09:36 AM
I like Kaat. Hope he sticks around. As far as love and hatred towards the announcers, I just don't care. I watch the game. I can't get too caught up in hatred for the announcers.

RhodyYanksFan
03-27-06, 09:46 AM

I liked David Justice when he was on ESPN. I haven't seen a game on YES in over 2 years so I don't know how he does nowadays. If YES gets Al Leiter, I wouldn't be upset to see Kaat leave. Leiter was great on Fox during the playoffs.

SoCal Pinstriper
03-27-06, 10:12 AM
This would be disappointing. It's not a great broadcast team to begin with, and he's one of the better ones.I guess that really sums it up for me. The Yankees broadcast team falls short of what I would expect for an organization of their stature. I don't really consider either Kaat or Singleton great at what they do, but they are the two Yankee broadcasters that I find most enjoyable.

I wouldn't be at all disappointed if they took Kaats departure as an opportunity to clean house, and start 2007 with an entirely new team.

iodon
03-27-06, 10:16 AM
I like Kaat too and I don't want to see him go. But I don't necessarily think that this move is indicative of larger changes at YES or a statement about his relationship with the network. He's an old guy. Anyone closing in on 70 re-evaluates his career on a yearly basis. Maybe he just doesn't want to lock himself into a longer commitment incase he decides on full retirement.

avln
03-27-06, 10:37 AM
hopefully kitty will be back.it seems like everybody has the same opinon of kay.i don't like him either.he should go back to radio with sterling and dump waldman.i truly can't take her.to me kay calls a game through the eyes of phil rizzuto.if you know what i mean.

yanksrule69
03-27-06, 11:03 AM
I liked David Justice when he was on ESPN. I haven't seen a game on YES in over 2 years so I don't know how he does nowadays.

He likes the sound of his own voice waaaaay too much. He never shuts up. Sometimes he has good insight but much of what he says is superfluous.

I'm not particularly fond of anyone in the YES booth. I don't know why they can't find two good people and stick with them.

SoCal Pinstriper
03-27-06, 11:10 AM
I don't know why they can't find two good people and stick with them.That would be my preference.

Mr. Mxylsplk
03-27-06, 11:12 AM
it seems like everybody has the same opinon of kay.i don't like him either.he should go back to radio with sterling
The only place Kay should go back to is somewhere I don't ever have to listen to him.

JamieMadrox
03-27-06, 02:01 PM

He is a pompous, arrogant, ass. He loves the sound of his own voice entirely too much and never shuts up.

He's like all those political science majors in college who thought they were just so smart and would never shut up (then got out of college and found no job paying more than $25k/year would hire them).

PeteRFNY
03-27-06, 02:47 PM
I dream that one day Gary Thorne will end up doing YES telecasts, but I donít hold my breath.

KevinBaseball
03-27-06, 03:30 PM
He is a pompous, arrogant, ass. He loves the sound of his own voice entirely too much and never shuts up.

He's like all those political science majors in college who thought they were just so smart and would never shut up (then got out of college and found no job paying more than $25k/year would hire them).

Uhhh.....yeah, thats exactly what David Justice is like. You do know that commentators are supposed to comment right?

Its sad how people can get so ticked off and use such harsh words about a baseball announcer that they have never met.

JeffWeaverFan
03-27-06, 05:31 PM
I like his insight with pitchers. My favorite YES guy is Ken Singleton though. The guy that I really want to never announce another game is David Justice - he's just horrible.

JeffWeaverFan
03-27-06, 05:35 PM
From the article:

Exactly how I feel. I like when he talks about pitching, but that's it. Saying things along the lines of "Now the Yankees finally have a great leadoff hitter" are just absurd when we've had Jeter. (I think that was him that said that, might have actually been Ken Singleton).

gold23
03-27-06, 09:30 PM
There is a lack of love for anybody outside of Kaat in this thread. The only Yankee announcer that bothers me is Murcer, who I feel doesn't give me anything during his broadcasts.

Here's the thing......I really like Murcer. Does he "add" anything to a broadcast? No. He's not a very good broadcaster. But......he brings an energy, a sense of humor, and the sense that he is really enjoying his job and not taking things too seriously. Quite frankly, when I watch a baseball game every single night I don't need the seriousness and drama in a game against Tampa in June. It's a break for me, and someone like Murcer playing around on the air is nice.

Singleton is an excellent announcer, and I have always liked Kaat. I happened to really like Kay and Sterling- I thought that even though they weren't very good broadcasters, they were excellent storytellers and gave you quite an enjoyable listen. On TV, Kay is exposed a bit. His ego has also made him a worse announcer than he used to be.

O'neill? I like him. Some of his insights are excellent and his knowledge of many of the current players is unrivaled. Justice actually has some interesting input, but he never shuts his mouth. I think he will improve over the years, as he learns to announce with more of a cadence.

Eldee5
03-27-06, 10:02 PM
David Justice is the biggest tool in the universe,
The universe? Nah, not even in broadcasting. How could he be in an industry where we have to put up with Joe Buck?

Paul O'Neill is a moron :uhh:

Here's the thing......I really like Murcer. Does he "add" anything to a broadcast? No. He's not a very good broadcaster. But......he brings an energy, a sense of humor, and the sense that he is really enjoying his job and not taking things too seriously. Quite frankly, when I watch a baseball game every single night I don't need the seriousness and drama in a game against Tampa in June. It's a break for me, and someone like Murcer playing around on the air is nice.
I enjoy Bobby Murcer very much also. Granted, Bobby was my favorite Yankee as a kid, but I do like his folksy charm in the booth. He's just such a good guy, it's impossible for me not to like him. I like hearing his stories and as you mentioned who needs the drama in a midseason game anyway?

Kaat is very good, analytical and would be missed, IMO. I hope he chooses to stick around a few more years, even if on a reduced time basis.

gold23
03-27-06, 10:06 PM
The universe? Nah, not even in broadcasting. How could he be in an industry where we have to put up with Joe Buck?
:uhh:

I enjoy Bobby Murcer very much also. Granted, Bobby was my favorite Yankee as a kid, but I do like his folksy charm in the booth. He's just such a good guy, it's impossible for me not to like him. I like hearing his stories and as you mentioned who needs the drama in a midseason game anyway?

Kaat is very good, analytical and would be missed, IMO. I hope he chooses to stick around a few more years, even if on a reduced time basis.

I also happen to have met Bobby several times through business. He and his wife Kay are purely nice people.

BillBuckner
03-27-06, 10:16 PM
I'm a political science major.

AMYanks
03-27-06, 10:37 PM
I really like Kaat, I hope he sticks around. However, I like the other YES guys more than some people do. The only two guys I can't stand are Kay and Justice. Singleton, O'Neill, Murcer, and the little I heard of Leiter on FOX, I enjoy all of them.

Clemens831
03-28-06, 12:32 AM

Seriously. Singleton is all-around the most knowledgeable and articulate of the YES announcers. We ought to show him some more love.

urwathrtz
03-28-06, 07:09 AM
Love listening to his nuggets of baseball wisdom. Smart, well spoken. He will be missed.

avln
03-28-06, 01:10 PM
did someone mention joe buck??they should have him and mccarver do high school girls field hockey.they'll stink in that also.