PDA

View Full Version : Please welcome to the YES Network...Al Leiter!!

knickfan23
03-24-06, 03:09 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/63565.htm

The just-retired Al Leiter said he will call around 50 Yankee games for YES. Though Leiter spoke with Fox Sports President Ed Goren on Tuesday, Leiter is not prepared to make a national commitment for the regular season yet.

"Right now, my best opportunity to do game analysis is with YES,'' the former Met and Yankee left-hander said.

Leiter said he would "absolutely be interested'' in working the postseason for Fox.

Before pitching in the postseason last year with the Yanks, Leiter had called games the previous two Octobers for Fox.

-----

Looks like we'll be seeing alot of Kay-Leiter tandems. Talk about guys who love to talk. Now, add-in David Justice to that mix and you'll really have something.

jimmyclark
03-24-06, 04:30 AM
His "On the Leiter side" interviews with Kay on ESPN 1050 were pretty dreadful but he is pretty good as a game broadcaster. Now if they could only add a daily "Scooter flashback" to each broadcast..every game have a classic Rizzuto moment of giving recipes for canolis or birthdays and get well wishes to the various paisans out there.

Sam18
03-24-06, 07:18 AM
Please let this mean less Kay. Please.

silverdsl
03-24-06, 09:48 AM
Yay! I'm really happy that Leiter is going to calling games on YES! I'm kind of thinking that it won't mean less Kay though - I believe he and Kay are very good friends so I can see them wanting to work together.

Yankees1962
03-24-06, 09:50 AM
Please let this mean less Kay. Please.
I don't understand all the hate for Kay?

gdn
03-24-06, 10:23 AM
Leiter is pretty darn funny. He should be a good addition.

KevinBaseball
03-24-06, 10:25 AM

I agree with you, I like Kay. But if tell's anything you are about to get 1,000 responses from people who know that they could do a better job.

Panamaniac42
03-24-06, 10:45 AM
I agree with you, I like Kay. But if tell's anything you are about to get 1,000 responses from people who know that they could do a better job.

I've actually grown to enjoy his 1050 show a lot (beats listening to people call up and get belittled on Mike and the Mad Dog), but my main gripe with Kay is sometimes he seems to try TOO hard to be objective when calling a game. This is just my perception, don't know if anyone else feels this way. When I'm watching the YES Network, you'll have to forgive me but I actually would like a little bit of home-cooking. I'd rather not have a YES guy climaxing when the Red Sox are rallying. A 2004 game at Fenway comes to mind when he want ga-ga over a Trot Nixon homerun and then almost seemed indifferent when Matsui laced a big homerun into the bullpen later on.

I feel a little silly because what I'm knocking him on is kind of intangible. Also, when I truly think about it, I guess I'd rather have that than a douchebag like Hawk Harrelson.:lol:

But anyway, that and also his seemingly fake cackle :P. I'm sure others could provide a critique of his analyses of games but I'm not going to go there.

EDIT: One more thing...I do listen to the radio show but don't like how he has a hand in both pots, so to speak. As an example, this from Raissman today:

"At least Kay covered YES' butt by reporting the story....Unfortunately, that's all viewers got.

Instead, in the fifth, Kay brought up how Sheffield has griped about whether the Yankees will pick up the option on his contract. With "Game of Shadows" basically calling Sheffield a liar and a steroid abuser, the contract story was old news.

...Kay not jumping into the fray mouth-first was equally mind-boggling. A few hours before Wednesday's game, on his ESPN-1050 radio show, Kay had no problem giving his take on this new Sheffield steroids report. And yesterday, pumping up the volume, Kay - at the top of his radio show - said if what was reported about Sheffield in the book was not true, Sheffield should sue the authors.

"If you sit back and don't respond, your silence is a tacit admission of guilt," Kay said yesterday on ESPN-1050. "... Now that Barry Bonds has done it (announced his intention to sue the authors), Gary Sheffield must do it as well."

Strong stuff. Still, if Kay elects to voice this opinion on the radio, why, as TV voice of the Yankees, did he go into mummy mode?"

Another example would be the numerous times he's used his radio show as a platform for ripping Joe Torre and then having to play nice with him on YES.

Rich
03-24-06, 04:24 PM
I hope he doesn't become a homer, like most of YES's employees.

JDPNYY
03-24-06, 05:22 PM
Bobby Murcer & David Justice could use A LOT more time off.

27IsNext
03-24-06, 05:35 PM
Awesome news. He definately has the personality for it. :)

hellonewman
03-24-06, 05:44 PM
Who didn't see this coming?

Welcome Al.

MFern09
03-24-06, 06:04 PM
If Al can shut Kay up during the games, than this is a brilliant move...

NelsonMuntz
03-24-06, 06:07 PM
I don't either. Kay says some stupid things and he can't judge a deep fly ball to save his life but he is fairly entertaining. Hopefully Leiter is replacing Justice who is just awful in the booth.

knickfan23
03-24-06, 08:38 PM
I don't either. Kay says some stupid things and he can't judge a deep fly ball to save his life but he is fairly entertaining. Hopefully Leiter is replacing Justice who is just awful in the booth.

June 2004 (Kay and O'Neill)

Kay: There's a high fly ball to left field. Matsui is there...makes the catch, and there's 2 out.
O'Neill : Michael, you need to better job on your flyball calls. That was a routine fly to left field.
Kay: C'mon, it cant be that bad
O'Neill : To you. everything is a deep fly ball. Deep, deep, deep, to the shortstop.

Still the most classic line from that season.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-24-06, 11:04 PM
June 2004 (Kay and O'Neill)

Kay: There's a high fly ball to left field. Matsui is there...makes the catch, and there's 2 out.
O'Neill : Michael, you need to better job on your flyball calls. That was a routine fly to left field.
Kay: C'mon, it cant be that bad
O'Neill : To you. everything is a deep fly ball. Deep, deep, deep, to the shortstop.

Still the most classic line from that season.

:roflmao: Nice to see Al still able to put his abilities into baseball again. With YES? Even better, though I'm sure he'll end up doing FOX broadcasts full-time soon.