PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Busts in Yankee history

ppa79
03-22-06, 09:37 PM
Who do you think the Biggest Busts were in Yankee history? Players that the Yankees either acquired through a trade or free agency. Players who you thought that were going to be major assets to the team when they were first traded for or signed, but became major detriments.

A couple off the top of my head.

Danny Tartabull
Ruben Sierra (the 1st time)
Kenny Rogers
Kevin Brown
Hideki Irabu
Jaret Wright
Tony Womack
Javier Vasquez
Rondell White
Tony Fernandez
Steve Karsay

Rich
03-22-06, 09:40 PM
Steve Kemp
Dave Collins
Roy Smalley
Dave LaPoint
Andy Hawkins

Dog Named Fred
03-22-06, 09:50 PM
One name stands alone at the top of this list: Brien Taylor

NYYBombshell
03-22-06, 09:54 PM
Kevin Brown and Tony Womack are the first two that come to mind. Did Kenny Lofton do anything for us?

dabomb2045
03-22-06, 09:56 PM
I would have to say....

Tartabull
Irabu
Vazquez
Brown

those are the biggest for me

I cant consider people who I always knew were horrible (Womack, Wright, Karsay) to be busts

apolansk
03-22-06, 10:01 PM
Jeff Weaver
Aaron Boone (not including ALCS G7)

DiMaggio5CF
03-22-06, 10:02 PM
Jose Contreras
Jeff Weaver
Chuck Knoblauch
Jason Giambi

Roger Clemens never became a detriment, but he definitely wasn't as good as I thought he was going to be.

ericns1
03-22-06, 10:14 PM
Ed Whitson and this is from the Horace Clarke era - Rick McKinney

Clive
03-22-06, 10:14 PM
"Well, Buhner was a good prospect, no question about it. But my baseball people loved Ken Phelps' bat. They kept saying 'Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps!'"

jpm114
03-22-06, 10:21 PM
By a wide margin Ed Whitson...a close second (although he came in a trade) Steve Trout...Steve Kemp third.

Rich
03-22-06, 10:31 PM
Jose Contreras
Jeff Weaver
Chuck Knoblauch
Jason Giambi

Roger Clemens never became a detriment, but he definitely wasn't as good as I thought he was going to be.

Contreras should have been given more time. The bust was the Yankees' patience.

obsessedyankeefan
03-22-06, 11:25 PM
Brown
Contreras
Weaver
Karsay
Wright
Irabu

and probably several more I've forgotten, but then again they're probably better off staying forgotten. :D

noneckwilliams
03-22-06, 11:37 PM
Pavano is vying for a spot on this list.

yanksphan
03-22-06, 11:47 PM
Drew Henson and John Elway

jimmyclark
03-23-06, 12:43 AM
If you really want to go back in history in the 1950s the Yankees signed a first baseman named Frank Leja. Legendary Yankee scout Paul Krichell (who signed Gehrig, Rizzuto and Ford) siad Leja was the next Lou Gehrig. Leja went 1 for 23 in his major league career.

jimmyclark
03-23-06, 12:46 AM
On a more contemporary note I would say Kevin Brown because of the "broke hand punching clubhouse wall" incident. Sheer stupidity.
I can understand being scared like Whitson and Rogers had. Sometimes a man can't control his guts. But he can control throwing a punch.

Winfield31
03-23-06, 01:26 AM
Kevin Maas, Hensley Mulens, Pat Kelly, Dan Pasqua

MrsNovember
03-23-06, 01:49 AM
Jeff Weaver
Aaron Boone (not including ALCS G7)
but that's what everyone is going to remember him for! I wouldn't call that a bust at all!

yankeefan24
03-23-06, 06:01 AM
A-Rod he was supposed to be the 3 or 4 hitter but the manger believes he ain't good enough.

Nome
03-23-06, 07:15 AM
Anyone remember Morgana?

Andy ;) ;)

BillBuckner
03-23-06, 07:20 AM
"Well, Buhner was a good prospect, no question about it. But my baseball people loved Ken Phelps' bat. They kept saying 'Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps!'"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BeantownYankee
03-23-06, 09:30 AM
Drew Henson for sure, not only did we sign him to big $$$, then we traded him to cincy and then traded willy mo to cincy to get him back

brosiusbuddy
03-23-06, 09:46 AM
David Wells

Oh wait. Bust as in disappointment, not bra size.... sorry

DontHateOnNumber2
03-23-06, 10:06 AM
I must say that I wish Kevin was never on the team. Brown that is...he sucked, and I'm afraid that Pavano (if not healthy) may become a younger version of him with a more toned-down temper.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-23-06, 10:07 AM
Kevin Brown and Tony Womack are the first two that come to mind. Did Kenny Lofton do anything for us?
He stole a few bases, kept Bernie on the bench briefly, complained, and parked a few cars at Yankee Stadium I believe.

Sam18
03-23-06, 10:08 AM
A-Rod he was supposed to be the 3 or 4 hitter but the manger believes he ain't good enough.

Posters like you give us Torre bashers a bad name.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-23-06, 10:08 AM
I don't know...it seems to me like Jaret Wright is about to cut in front of Carl for his place in this line.

KevinBaseball
03-23-06, 10:18 AM
Jose Contreras
Jeff Weaver
Chuck Knoblauch
Jason Giambi

What on earth did you think Roger would do? Were you expecting him to go over to your house and watch the games with you? I hope I'm missing some sort of joke.

Mabe these guys aren't headed to the Hall anytime soon, but what do you think makes them busts, none of them were paid all that much, none were supposed to deliver a ring on their shoulders, they were mediocre to good (in Mass' and Kelly's case) players who played for mediocre to bad teams, that doesnt make someone a bust. I really think you just thought of the first four players that came to mind.

Astorian
03-23-06, 10:32 AM
On a more contemporary note I would say Kevin Brown because of the "broke hand punching clubhouse wall" incident. Sheer stupidity.

I'm going to have to go with the original wall-punching pitcher, Doyle Alexander and also Ed Whitson.

yanksphan
03-23-06, 10:42 AM
Drew Henson for sure, not only did we sign him to big $$$, then we traded him to cincy and then traded willy mo to cincy to get him back

ouch!

BRNXBMRS
03-23-06, 10:43 AM
Some that werent mentioned

Clay Parker
Mike Blowers
Stan Jefferson
Hal Morris
John Habyan
Mark Hutton
Sam Militello
Wade taylor
Andy Stankiewicz
Domingo Jean
Bobby Munoz
Russ Davis

KevinBaseball
03-23-06, 11:01 AM
Some that werent mentioned

Clay Parker
Mike Blowers
Stan Jefferson
Hal Morris
John Habyan
Mark Hutton
Sam Militello
Wade taylor
Andy Stankiewicz
Domingo Jean
Bobby Munoz
Russ Davis

OK, wait, I think this thread is out of control. You are just naming people. Why was Andy Snkiewicz a bust, how was Sam Militello a bust. Just because a player doesn't make an all-star team, or a WS MVP doesn't mean they were a bust. These guys weren't over paid or over hyped. Stop simply thinking of people and naming them as busts for the sake of making a longer list.

slickknick
03-23-06, 11:04 AM

I agree. He was highly touted, highly paid. He never amounted to anything leaving egg on the Yankees' faces. By definition, that is a bigtime bust.

Brien Taylor (born 1971-12-26) was a baseball pitcher who is most well-known for becoming only the second player in Major League Baseball history to be chosen first overall in the MLB Draft and then never make the major leagues.

Steinbrenner said that if the Yankees let Taylor get away, they should be "shot." Taylor was signed for $1.55 million the day before his classes were set to begin.

While working up the minor league ranks in 1993, Taylor suffered a torn labrum while defending his brother in a bar fight. He was never the same pitcher again. He was at AA before the incident but spent the bulk of the remainder of his minor league career struggling at Single A. He was released by the Yankees at the end of the 1998 season and pitched for minor league affiliates of the Seattle Mariners and Cleveland Indians until retiring in 2000. He became the second baseball player to be drafted first overall and retire without ever reaching the majors.

What a bust! To the Yankees but moreso to himself. I hope he finds better fortune outside of baseball.

gdn
03-23-06, 11:11 AM
Wasn't Karsay pretty decent in his first season here?

Sam18
03-23-06, 11:25 AM
Quantril.

BRNXBMRS
03-23-06, 11:54 AM
OK, wait, I think this thread is out of control. You are just naming people. Why was Andy Snkiewicz a bust, how was Sam Militello a bust. Just because a player doesn't make an all-star team, or a WS MVP doesn't mean they were a bust. These guys weren't over paid or over hyped. Stop simply thinking of people and naming them as busts for the sake of making a longer list.

I am not just padding the list, but from what I can remember watching and reading about these guys they were being hyped up. Didnt Militello have a good fist few games that fade away. Mark Hutton pitched his first game in 1993 and won during a pennant race and was annointed a savior. Bobby Munoz was a big guy who threw the ball hard and faded away. Andy S. was being compared to Rizutto, Russ Davis was the next Mickey Mantle, should I go on?

Winfield31
03-23-06, 12:07 PM
What on earth did you think Roger would do? Were you expecting him to go over to your house and watch the games with you? I hope I'm missing some sort of joke.

Mabe these guys aren't headed to the Hall anytime soon, but what do you think makes them busts, none of them were paid all that much, none were supposed to deliver a ring on their shoulders, they were mediocre to good (in Mass' and Kelly's case) players who played for mediocre to bad teams, that doesnt make someone a bust. I really think you just thought of the first four players that came to mind.

I wont tell you what I "really think" of your opinion...because its just that your OPINION. You obviously have different criteria for whats considered a bust. You are judging on salary or ability to deliver a championship alone. I am taking the approach of measuring their output vs what many considered their potential to be and in that area these guys fell short...do you honestly think that a guy named Hensley "Bam Bam" Meulens is NOT a bust when he plays 182 career games in 7 seasons and hits 15 HRs...

How about Kevin Maas hitting a bunch of HRs right off the bat when he was brought up, first 2 seasons with 20+ HRs and then the next THREE seasons combined he hits a total of 21 and can hardly keep a .200 BA?

Dan Pasqua:
http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/P/Pasqua_Dan.stm
Despite being an outstanding minor league player, the lefthanded-hitting Pasqua never lived up to New York's high expectations and was traded to the White Sox, with Mark Salas and Steve Rosenberg, after 1987 for pitchers Rich Dotson and Scott Nielsen. Pasqua was the International League 1985 Rookie of the Year and MVP even though he played in just 78 games (.321, 18 HR, 69 RBI) before being called up. He homered in his second major league at-bat. Though he hit 20 homers as a starter in 1988, his first year in Chicago, they came with a lowly .227 batting average. He would play in over 100 games only twice more in his career.

Pat Kelly
Ill give you...I probably had higher expectations for him after some of his flash in the pan type heroics.

But please...I can do without you telling me that I pulled a Peter Gammons and just threw $h!t against the wall to see what would stick.

DiMaggio5CF
03-23-06, 12:09 PM

With the Toronto Blue Jays
1997: 21-7, 2.05, 292 K, 264 IP
1998: 20-6, 2.65, 271 K, 235.2 IP

With the New York Yankees
1999: 14-10, 4.60, 163 K, 188.2 IP
2000: 13-8 3.70, 188 K, 204. 1 IP
2001: 20-3, 3.51, 213 K, 220.1 IP
2002: 13-6, 4.35, 192 K, 180 IP
2003: 17-9, 3.91, 190 K, 212.2 IP

For three seasons, the Yankees had Roger Clemens and Mike Mussina at the front of the rotation -- and still didn't have that shut-down bona fide ace.

WTrain44
03-23-06, 12:11 PM
Russ Davis was the next Mickey Mantle, should I go on?

Shane Spencer was also suppsoed to be the next Mickey Mantle too :)

jimmyclark
03-23-06, 12:30 PM
Shane Spencer was also suppsoed to be the next Mickey Mantle too :)

I don't know if Spencer was that highly regarded? He was not on the 40 man roster and was played as a "scab/replacement" player in spring of 1995. This resulted in his not being allowed to join the Player's Union or get money from the endorsement fund for several years. His .373/.411/.910 year in 67 AB in 1998 was at the age of 26 so if he was really highly regarded he would have been up younger.

yankeesAZ
03-23-06, 12:34 PM

That's the first name that popped in my head when I saw the title.

His mother was one tough negotiator, but she must have known something. I can't blame her for helping him get the most money possible.

penfold
03-23-06, 12:56 PM
Pascual Perez.... (SNIFFFFFFFFFF!)

IronCaballo4
03-23-06, 01:09 PM
I must say that I wish Kevin was never on the team. Brown that is...he sucked, and I'm afraid that Pavano (if not healthy) may become a younger version of him with a more toned-down temper.

but sometimes I wish Pavano would throw some kinda fit just so I know he's still alive

BobbyWeird
03-23-06, 01:49 PM
Most have been covered, but I didn't see in my quick scan:

Jaret Wright
Alan Embree

Jake_Gibbs
03-23-06, 03:15 PM
From 1970, did anyone mention Curt Blefary? He was going to terrorize fans in the short porch seats. I think he hit 9 homeruns all year.

yankeezombie
03-23-06, 04:12 PM
Andy Messersmith

BroadwayBomber55
03-23-06, 04:16 PM
Denny Neagle is one of them.

Snatch Catch
03-23-06, 04:17 PM
No one mentioned Blomberg yet?

Mr. Mxylsplk
03-23-06, 04:17 PM
Trading Bob Tewksbury for Steve Trout worked out about as poorly as one could imagine.

Signing Steve Kemp and Dave Collins to then-blockbuster contracts was remarkably poor. In my mind those two guys exemplify Steinbrenner at his worst.

Rich
03-23-06, 04:45 PM
No one mentioned Blomberg yet?

Although he was definitely a bust considering he that was, iirc, the #1 pick in his draft class, because he was never more than a platoon player who was signficantly below average defensively, his OPS+ (http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/blombro01.shtml) from 1971-75 was, to my surprise, decent.

RhodeyYankee2638
03-23-06, 04:58 PM
"Felix Heredia has ELECTRIC STUFF"

-Joe Torre

YankClipper5
03-23-06, 05:12 PM
Brien Taylor tops and close behind probably Weaver, he was supposed to be the anchor of the rotation for years.

hellonewman
03-23-06, 05:19 PM
Old school:

- Ken Holtzman. Centerpiece of the 10-player trade with the Orioles in 1976, one of the worst trades in Yankee franchise history, we lost Rick Dempsey, Scott McGregor and Tippy Martinez in that one.

- Sudden Sam McDowell. By the time we got him, he was drunk and had lost his fastball.

- Tom Underwood. One of those "world of potential" lefty pitchers who never really panned out.

- Rawly Eastwick. Hard to imagine now but his signing for the 1978 season created almost as much buzz at the time as the signing of Goose Gossage. He lasted about 10 minutes here.

- Joel Skinner. Highly touted catching prospect, he hit a grand slam for the White Sox in Yankee Stadium and George Steinbrenner just had to have him. As a Yankee, I don't think he ever hit the ball past the pitcher's mound.

Prospect division:
- Tony Solaita
- Frank "The Staten Island Strong Boy" Fernandez
- Joe Verbanic
- Bill Burbach
- Dave Pagan
- Bobby Meacham. Steinbrenner was convinced he was going to be a star and forced him down Billy Martin's throat for the 1985 season, costing the Yankees a pennant.

Panamaniac42
03-23-06, 05:20 PM
Drew Henson ... you trade him and then desperately trade to get him back? If Wily Mo Pena succeeds in Boston, of course, many people will be ready to "bridge-jump" over this.

Anyway yeah he was a bust in both of his sports I guess you could say, though I'm sure he's happy with the way he cashed in.

Brien Taylor pops out obviously ... then most recently you have Dream Weaver, Contreras, and Vazquez. Brown I can't say was a bust because you just didn't know what you were getting. I thought acquiring Vazquez was perfect and that he was going to be brilliant for years.

hellonewman
03-23-06, 05:24 PM
Damn I left out Lance McCullers

JeffWeaverFan
03-23-06, 05:39 PM
Andy Hawkins
At least Andy Hawkins threw a no hitter - kind of...

Here's a few: Jeff Weaver, Brian Taylor, Drew Henson, Ken Phelps, Kenny Rogers, and Denny Neagle come to mind.

I don't think this guy could be considered a bust because he never pitched for the Yankees, but Britt Burns deserves a place on some sort of list like this. That's one of my favorite Steinbrenner stories I've ever heard.

hellonewman
03-23-06, 05:43 PM
I don't think this guy could be considered a bust because he never pitched for the Yankees, but Britt Burns deserves a place on some sort of list like this. That's one of my favorite Steinbrenner stories I've ever heard.No, that's a good one, I should have thought of him. The guy who was supposed to deliver us a pennant in 1986. Too bad he had the hips of an arthritic grandmother.

Kulish29
03-23-06, 05:49 PM
Brien Tayolr.

JeffWeaverFan
03-23-06, 06:10 PM
No, that's a good one, I should have thought of him. The guy who was supposed to deliver us a pennant in 1986. Too bad he had the hips of an arthritic grandmother.
And too bad George Steinbrenner was the only one not to realize that and forced the trade. Someone on the forum told that story on one thread a while ago and I loved it. Was that you?

hellonewman
03-23-06, 06:20 PM
And too bad George Steinbrenner was the only one not to realize that and forced the trade. Someone on the forum told that story on one thread a while ago and I loved it. Was that you?I don't recall I've mentioned that fiasco a few times here, though.

The funny thing was, Britt was something like 18-8, 3.10 ERA going into September 1985, then went 0-3 with something like an 11 ERA in September as his hip started to go. The whole baseball world could see he was a wreck but that didn't stop The Boss.

Oh, what a time it was to be a Yankee fan. :o

NelsonMuntz
03-23-06, 07:06 PM
Brien Taylor
Eddie Whitson
Jose Contreras
Hideki Irabu
Deion Sanders :P

Dr. Gonzo
03-23-06, 07:23 PM
Contreras should have been given more time. The bust was the Yankees' patience.
I agree

my bust is vasquez, although I also think he was rushed out of here (same with weaver), I expected both of these guys to be pitching for the yanks for a long time.

ryanthe13th
03-23-06, 07:26 PM
Leave Pat Kelly out of this.

Winfield31
03-23-06, 07:51 PM
Leave Pat Kelly out of this.

Haha. :) I told you thats the only one Im willing to give in on...I liked the guy, I think I just expected too much...the rest of my list still stands though:

Kevin Maas
Hensley Meulens
Dan Pasqua

And on the topic of bad trades how about Doug Drabek for Rick Rhoden?

Casey37
03-23-06, 08:07 PM
Anyone remember Morgana?

Andy ;) ;)

I do. I can also remember that she was...shall we say very "well endowed".

mickey mantle
03-23-06, 08:10 PM

classic

fredgmuggs
03-23-06, 08:14 PM
- Tony Solaita
- Frank "The Staten Island Strong Boy" Fernandez
- Joe Verbanic
- Bill Burbach
- Dave Pagan
- Bobby Meacham. Steinbrenner was convinced he was going to be a star and forced him down Billy Martin's throat for the 1985 season, costing the Yankees a pennant.

:lol: Man, I had forgotten some of those names. You might as well throw Otto Velez, Charlie Spikes, Steve Whitacker, Tom Shopay and Jim Lytle in on that list, too (It wasn't easy being a Yankees fan back in the late 60's). There was also a minor league second baseman back in the late 60's that was touted as the next greatest whatever, and I don't think he ever had a big league at bat. I forgot what his name was... Freddy Frazier comes to mind but that's probably wrong, though. Does anybody remember who it was, that I'm talking about?

hellonewman
03-23-06, 08:24 PM
:lol: Man, I had forgotten some of those names. You might as well throw Otto Velez, Charlie Spikes, Steve Whitacker, Tom Shopay and Jim Lytle in on that list, tooI give Spikes a partial pass as he helped us land Graig Nettles.

There was also a minor league second baseman back in the late 60's that was touted as the next greatest whatever, and I don't think he ever had a big league at bat. I forgot what his name was... Freddy Frazier comes to mind but that's probably wrong, though. Does anybody remember who it was, that I'm talking about?You are correct:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/teams/draft/new-york-yankees-1969.shtml

fredgmuggs
03-23-06, 08:26 PM
I give Spikes a partial pass as he helped us land Graig Nettles.

You are correct:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/teams/draft/new-york-yankees-1969.shtml

Yeah, I just did google search on him myself.
I came up with two more gems from my youth... Ken Clay and Mickey Klutts.

edit: after looking over the names on the Yankees 1969 draft, that might have been the worst draft in the history of MLB.

26 and counting
03-23-06, 08:48 PM
Alan Embree

I don't think Embree was a bust. We all knew he was going to be terrible anyway.

How about Jack McDowell?

fredgmuggs
03-23-06, 08:55 PM
I just thought of another one. How about Charlie Smith... the guy we got back from the Cardinals when we traded Roger Maris.

That's enough, this is depressing...

Rich
03-23-06, 09:11 PM
At least Andy Hawkins threw a no hitter - kind of...

When Hawkins and LaPointe were signed, Dallas Green said they would "anchor" the rotation. He was right, sort of, They anchored it to 5th place in the AL East.

Bluesexy's daddy
03-23-06, 10:06 PM
Given how the question was posed Tartabull comes right to mind because I DID think that he would do big things for the YANKEES. I am not sure what other fans expected but I was genuinely dissapointed in Tartabull.

Javier Vasquez did NOT meet my expectations. I did think that he might have improved with time but "time" is a comodity more generously spent in AA or AAA. In MLB "give him time" often equates to something far less than a season. The YANKEES can't afford to let pitchers "develop" for very long beyond AAA. If they are not "developed" by the time they get off the plane they better do some fast developing in the cab their way to 161st ST.

Spencer outperformed expectations albeit briefly. He added to the magic of a great year, I don't think too many folks were expecting much from him so his surge was appreciated.

Ed Whitson WAS hailed by some to be a "great pitcher" but most fans that looked at his numbers pretty well expected him to NOT be an ace. George had apparently NOT looked past his W-L for the previous year and signed him up for "Ace Bucks". Whitson did what i expected.

Kevin Brown was hideously overpaid and he underperformed but many posts on this site indicated that a good number of fans (not sure what percent) feared that he was indeed washed up. They were right. His piss poor performance was NOT that big a surprise to most fans.

Womack performed with the mediocrity that most fans on this site predicted.

PeteRFNY
03-24-06, 01:23 AM
I don't know if I can fully call Ruben Sierra I a complete bust. When he came over towards the end of the '95 season, he carried the team offensively. It seemed like every day he was hitting huge home runs and doubles, getting BIG RBIs - all during a stretch where the Yankees HAD to win nearly EVERY game just to make the Wild Card. He carried the clutch hitting over to the Division Series...too bad we had a pitching staff made of balsa wood and paper mache that year.

Ruben BECAME a bust in '96 because his head swelled so big from the strong '95 finish that they had to butter his cranium just to get him through the press gate. He UNDER-performed, then blamed Torre for not playing him. Being in Detroit while the Yankees were winning the Pennant sobered him back to reality.

If using the measurement of a hyped player that came over and pretty much did nothing (or less!) to fully achieve "bust" status, then you have to put Steve Trout, Doyle Alexander and Ed Whitson right up there. Honorable mentions to Jack Clark, Steve Sax, Jack McDowell, Hideki Irabu...I could go on and on...

I tend to float guys that had at least ONE moment that can be recalled with fondness a bit of a break. Steve Kemp made a great catch during Dave Righetti's No-Hitter that shaved an out off the game. And in fairness to Kemp, he also suffered a horrendous injury (he took a line drive to the side of the head during batting practice that caved in his cheekbone) and was never the same after he came back.

Rick Rhoden was a workmanlike pitcher who never embarrassed himself (and even DH'd in a game) - but giving up Doug Drabek for him turned out to be a pretty bad deal (for us).

Xavier Hernandez came over from Houston to be our closer and couldn't close a door with the wind behind him during a hurricane. Terry Mullhullond was supposed to be our number two starter, and was basically just number two.

SO many names, so many bad deals. this thread could go on forever.

Now, if we're looking for the biggest "bust" in Yankee history, an honorable mention goes to Cecil Fielder's copious man-boobs.

BroadwayBomber55
03-24-06, 02:15 AM
How about Jack McDowell?

Jack@$$ is the nickname of Jack McDowell, flipping "the bird" in a game in Yankee Stadium one time and givin' a hanging breaking ball to Edgar Martinez that let the wounded Seattle Mariners win Game 5 of the 1995 ALDS.

Nome
03-24-06, 06:56 AM
I do. I can also remember that she was...shall we say very "well endowed".

I vote for her for the biggest bust. ;)

Andy

Arod for President
03-24-06, 10:33 AM
Please let us not forget about Jeff "Dream" Weaver

Jim Roche
03-24-06, 12:15 PM
OK... Here Goes...

Roger Repoz, Bill Robinson, Tony Solaita, John Cumberland, Curt Blefary, Rich McKinney, Rusty Torres, Otto Velez, Charlie Spikes and Mickey Klutts...

OMG... must rest... getting flashbacks... :(

Sam McDowell, Bill Burbach, Jeff Weaver, Gene Nelson, Andy Hawkins, Dave Pagan, Jim Mason, Kerry Dineen, Fran Healy, Juan Bernhardt, Ken Clay, Dell Alston, Jimmy Wynn, Rawly Eastwick, Andy Messersmith, Jim Beattie, Marshall Brant and........Bobby Brown.

Dr. Gonzo
03-24-06, 02:53 PM
sam miletto, wasn't a bust per say, but his first few starts got people very excited.

bostonyankeefan
03-24-06, 03:29 PM
Dolly Parton? (the thread title invites this sort of response)

from SI: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/news/2003/05/22/taylor/

"Ray Taylor, the father of the Yankees' No. 1 draft choice, Brien Taylor, is a mason. Brien's mother, Bettie, is a crab processor. The family lives in a mobile home in Beaufort, N.C. They say they're not "dirt poor," but $850,000, the offer the Yankees had on the table two weeks ago, would undoubtedly have come in handy. They deserve credit for not being intimidated by baseball's negotiating process and for holding out until Brien, a lefthanded pitching prospect, got $1.55 million to sign a standard $850-a- month minor league contract with the Yankees. The deal was struck at the eleventh hour, on Aug. 26, the night before Brien, 19, was to begin classes at Louisburg (N.C.) College. Had he started school, the Yankees would not have been allowed to sign him until next May.

The Taylors' adviser, agent Scott Boras, almost certainly orchestrated the family's hard-nosed bargaining, but it was the Taylors who held firm. Bettie told The New York Times that a scout named Don Koonce, of the Major League Scouting Bureau, made an unsolicited visit to her home on Aug. 13 and tried to pressure her into accepting a Yankee offer of $650,000. She says that Koonce told her he reported directly to commissioner Fay Vincent. "He refused to leave," she told the Times. "I told him, 'If you don't leave, I don't want to close the door in your face.' He said, 'That's what you'll have to do.'" Koonce denies that he misrepresented himself."

Should we be surprised that Boras represented Taylor?

Snatch Catch
03-24-06, 03:41 PM
sam miletto, wasn't a bust per say, but his first few starts got people very excited.

Yep, both he and Oscar Azocar.

Snatch Catch
03-24-06, 03:42 PM
Although he was definitely a bust considering he that was, iirc, the #1 pick in his draft class, because he was never more than a platoon player who was signficantly below average defensively, his OPS+ (http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/blombro01.shtml) from 1971-75 was, to my surprise, decent.

Yeah, I saw that (the OPS+ numbers). I think he just couldn't stay healthy.

krystl
03-24-06, 03:43 PM
I know we are talking biggest bust in the history of the Yankees, but Hideki Irabu was the first name that came to my mind. George thought he was going to be some phemon and he was built up with so much hype and then totally bombed.

Some of the names listed could be considered disappointments but not all were total busts, IMO.

noneckwilliams
03-24-06, 03:52 PM
I agree. He was highly touted, highly paid. He never amounted to anything leaving egg on the Yankees' faces. By definition, that is a bigtime bust.

Brien Taylor (born 1971-12-26) was a baseball pitcher who is most well-known for becoming only the second player in Major League Baseball history to be chosen first overall in the MLB Draft and then never make the major leagues.

Steinbrenner said that if the Yankees let Taylor get away, they should be "shot." Taylor was signed for $1.55 million the day before his classes were set to begin.

While working up the minor league ranks in 1993, Taylor suffered a torn labrum while defending his brother in a bar fight. He was never the same pitcher again. He was at AA before the incident but spent the bulk of the remainder of his minor league career struggling at Single A. He was released by the Yankees at the end of the 1998 season and pitched for minor league affiliates of the Seattle Mariners and Cleveland Indians until retiring in 2000. He became the second baseball player to be drafted first overall and retire without ever reaching the majors.

What a bust! To the Yankees but moreso to himself. I hope he finds better fortune outside of baseball.

I don't think Taylor really qualifies as a bust. If he had stayed healthy and flamed out then yeah he'd be right up there.

The kid's career ended the night of that bar fight.

jessiedog
03-24-06, 04:04 PM
Don Gullett

NelsonMuntz
03-24-06, 04:15 PM
I don't know if I can fully call Ruben Sierra I a complete bust. When he came over towards the end of the '95 season, he carried the team offensively. It seemed like every day he was hitting huge home runs and doubles, getting BIG RBIs - all during a stretch where the Yankees HAD to win nearly EVERY game just to make the Wild Card. He carried the clutch hitting over to the Division Series...too bad we had a pitching staff made of balsa wood and paper mache that year.

Ruben BECAME a bust in '96 because his head swelled so big from the strong '95 finish that they had to butter his cranium just to get him through the press gate. He UNDER-performed, then blamed Torre for not playing him. Being in Detroit while the Yankees were winning the Pennant sobered him back to reality.

If using the measurement of a hyped player that came over and pretty much did nothing (or less!) to fully achieve "bust" status, then you have to put Steve Trout, Doyle Alexander and Ed Whitson right up there. Honorable mentions to Jack Clark, Steve Sax, Jack McDowell, Hideki Irabu...I could go on and on...

I tend to float guys that had at least ONE moment that can be recalled with fondness a bit of a break. Steve Kemp made a great catch during Dave Righetti's No-Hitter that shaved an out off the game. And in fairness to Kemp, he also suffered a horrendous injury (he took a line drive to the side of the head during batting practice that caved in his cheekbone) and was never the same after he came back.

Rick Rhoden was a workmanlike pitcher who never embarrassed himself (and even DH'd in a game) - but giving up Doug Drabek for him turned out to be a pretty bad deal (for us).

Xavier Hernandez came over from Houston to be our closer and couldn't close a door with the wind behind him during a hurricane. Terry Mullhullond was supposed to be our number two starter, and was basically just number two.

SO many names, so many bad deals. this thread could go on forever.

Now, if we're looking for the biggest "bust" in Yankee history, an honorable mention goes to Cecil Fielder's copious man-boobs.
Good call on Xavier Hernandez and Jack Clark.

Snatch Catch
03-24-06, 04:26 PM
I know we are talking biggest bust in the history of the Yankees, but Hideki Irabu was the first name that came to my mind. George thought he was going to be some phemon and he was built up with so much hype and then totally bombed.

He had a great debut against the Tigers, though. That only made everyone salivate more. :lol:

YankClipper5
03-24-06, 04:29 PM
He had a great debut against the Tigers, though. That only made everyone salivate more. :lol:

I believe Letterman said it best of his top ten list when he included pronunciations such as Hiccuping Caribou and..... #1 Ten Million Dollar BooBoo

hellonewman
03-24-06, 05:05 PM
Don GullettNo, no, no. Sure, he wasn't worth the 5 years we paid for him. But his guts-up performance, with his shoulder hanging by a thread, in Game 1 of the 1977 World Series, when the Yankee pitching staff was burnt to a crisp from the ALCS, had more to do with us winning that WS than any other performance in that series. Yes, INCLUDING Reggie's 3-homer game. No Don Gullett, no world championship in 1977.

JfromJersey
03-24-06, 05:39 PM
I don't think Taylor really qualifies as a bust. If he had stayed healthy and flamed out then yeah he'd be right up there.

The kid's career ended the night of that bar fight.

I agree. If after he signed he got hit by a car crossing the street thus ending his career, would you call him a bust? Taylor was a tragedy, more than a bust.

hobokenfish
03-24-06, 06:28 PM

That's the first name that came to my mind. Others that immediately come to mind are Eddie Lee Whitson, Steve Trout, Richard Dotson, Steve Kemp, Jack Clark, and Britt Burns (who, as I recall, never even played after being acquired). And most recently, Kevin Brown.

I saw that someone mentioned Tartabull, who actually had a semi-decent career with the Yanks. Not a world-beater, but I wouldn't consider him a bust.

noneckwilliams
03-24-06, 06:29 PM
I agree. If after he signed he got hit by a car crossing the street thus ending his career, would you call him a bust? Taylor was a tragedy, more than a bust.

How many people have come back from an injury like that? Tragedy is a good way to describe it. I hope BT was able to move on with his life. That would be a hard thing to deal with psychologically.

Rich
03-24-06, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I saw that (the OPS+ numbers). I think he just couldn't stay healthy.

It seems that the bust has a new book out:

http://www.sportspublishingllc.com/book.cfm?id=798

Designated Hebrew
The Ron Blomberg Story
Ron Blomberg with Dan Schlossberg<O:p</O:p

OlgMvp
03-25-06, 06:21 AM
He may not be a HUGE bust, but a big never-was...

anyone remember Donzell McDonald? They talked about that guy SO much on Yankees Magazine, when the Yanks were back on MSG....heir to bernie, crap like that...great stuff.

ace
04-30-07, 04:27 PM
Carl Pavano, Kevin Brown, Javy Vazquez, Tony Womack, Mark Bellhorn, Alan Embree, Paul Quantrill, Steve Karsay, Kenny Rogers, Jack McDowell, Brian Taylor, Drew Henson, DOUG MIENTKIEWICZ. To name a few.

flymick24
04-30-07, 04:31 PM
relative to the amount of money invested in them, i'd have to say carl pavano and kevin brown are up there

danny tartabul also comes to mind

ace
04-30-07, 04:39 PM
I'll add Jeff Weaver. He may have been the absolute worst pitcher ever.

BillBuckner
04-30-07, 05:38 PM
Carl Pavano, Kevin Brown, Javy Vazquez, Tony Womack, Mark Bellhorn, Alan Embree, Paul Quantrill, Steve Karsay, Kenny Rogers, Jack McDowell, Brian Taylor, Drew Henson, DOUG MIENTKIEWICZ. To name a few.
How were Bellhorn and Mientkiewicz busts? Bellhorn was a mid season pickup for the bench and Mienkiewicz was a mediocore low budget signing whose main priority was everyone knew at the time was just defense. And he has only played one month.

RhodeyYankee2638
04-30-07, 06:09 PM
woof this is a bumped thread. I saw NYYBombshell's name and thought some cruel bastard let her back

gdn
04-30-07, 07:01 PM
A-Rod.

Yankeeah
04-30-07, 07:05 PM

How was Tony, Bellhorn, Embree, Quantrill and Doug busts?
No one expected anything from Tony, Bellhorn and Embree were DFA pick ups (costing us less than 400K), Quantrill wasn't used properly and no one expects anything but a glove and a .225 average from Doug.

NVAYANKEEFAN
04-30-07, 07:15 PM
IMO Steve Trout wins the prize. Never seen a meltdown like that before or since.

Pinstripedbass
04-30-07, 08:22 PM
John Mayberry.

edwardthomas34
04-30-07, 08:46 PM
Carl Pavano could probably win first place.

fredgmuggs
04-30-07, 08:54 PM
I'm sure someone has already said this (I'm too lazy read back).... "Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps."

Sam18
04-30-07, 08:56 PM
woof this is a bumped thread. I saw NYYBombshell's name and thought some cruel bastard let her back

If that ever happens my guess would be on Lou.

JL25and3
04-30-07, 08:59 PM
Morganna.

Pinstripedbass
04-30-07, 09:51 PM
Morganna.

:lol: :-rofl-: :roflmao: :rockin:

apolansk
05-01-07, 12:32 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAGB036~David-Wells-2003-World-Series-Game-1-Pitching-Photofile-Posters.jpg
http://www.survivinggrady.com/uploaded_images/david_wells01-749538.jpg

Look at that bust size.

BRNXBMRS
05-01-07, 01:07 PM

Quantrill wasnt a bust, Torre used him everyday. McDowell pitched ok, but blew himself up when he gave everyone at the stadium the finger. He was 15-10 3.93 era in 95

ymike673
05-01-07, 02:02 PM
I'd put Ken Holtzman on the list. And how about Steve "Bye Bye" Balboni. Back in 1982 he was supposed the be the next "Great" Yankee first baseman.

johnnyyankee
05-01-07, 02:49 PM
Has everyone already forgotten Randy Johnson?

TinoFan84
05-01-07, 03:16 PM

If the criteria is aquired via trade or free agency ... then he doesn't qualify since the Yankees drafted him (if memory serves).

Don Mattingly
05-01-07, 03:17 PM
Quantrill wasnt a bust, Torre used him everyday. McDowell pitched ok, but blew himself up when he gave everyone at the stadium the finger. He was 15-10 3.93 era in 95

Yeah but wasn't he the guy that blew the lead in Seattle in Game 5 that year?

Brent
05-01-07, 03:29 PM
How was Tony Womack a bust when he was NEVER a good ballplayer to begin with?

ymike673
05-01-07, 03:37 PM
If the criteria is aquired via trade or free agency ... then he doesn't qualify since the Yankees drafted him (if memory serves).

Since Taylor was the #1 pick in that entire draft I think he qualifies as a bust.

Don Mattingly
05-01-07, 03:39 PM
Ed Whitson, Dallas Green, Steve Sax (debatable), Weaver, Contreras, Farnsworth, Pavano

Nome
05-01-07, 03:46 PM
Who do you think the Biggest Busts were in Yankee history? Players that the Yankees either acquired through a trade or free agency. Players who you thought that were going to be major assets to the team when they were first traded for or signed, but became major detriments.

A couple off the top of my head.

Danny Tartabull
Ruben Sierra (the 1st time)
Kenny Rogers
Kevin Brown
Hideki Irabu
Jaret Wright
Tony Womack
Javier Vasquez
Rondell White
Tony Fernandez
Steve Karsay

In my opinion the biggest bust in Yankee history was Morgana when she ran onto the field and over to third base and kissed Wade Boggs.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Andy

Yankeeah
05-01-07, 03:47 PM

While I didn't expect him to be as bad as he was, I think most people had unreal expectations about him. As a, what, 42 year old, he made 67 starts in two seasons. And looking back at the numbers, his 2005 wasn't really that bad.

johnnyyankee
05-01-07, 03:52 PM

Paul Quantrill...meet Tanyon Sturtze....Scott Proctor, take note....you're arm will be toast very soon.

powerpinstripes
05-01-07, 04:20 PM
The Steve Trout trade was supposed to take us to the playoffs, back in the barren '80's.

JL25and3
05-01-07, 04:20 PM
Quantrill wasnt a bust, Torre used him everyday. McDowell pitched ok, but blew himself up when he gave everyone at the stadium the finger. He was 15-10 3.93 era in 95Oh, no, you have it exactly backwards with Black Jack. He hadn't been that great the first half of the season, but the game where he flipped the bird seemed to energize him - after that he was excellent.

Before flip-off: 7-6, 4.87
After flip-off: 8-4, 2.81

And he did lose the final game of the playoffs that year - but thta was a tremendously gritty performance in a tremendous ballgame. He came in in the 10th inning, on one day's rest, and he was obviously completely gassed. He gave it everything he had, he was just runnung on fumes. Meanwhile, Randy Johnson was doing the same thing on the other side - pitching the extra innings on one day's rest - and he still had some stuff.

So fault McDowell for losing it if you like, but I can't call that a bust. He pitched his heart out.

TinoFan84
05-01-07, 04:28 PM
Since Taylor was the #1 pick in that entire draft I think he qualifies as a bust.

Oh I agree that he was a bust ... I was simply commenting that based on the criteria the original poster used, he didn't qualify.

BrooklynBotz
05-01-07, 04:33 PM
Rich Dotson.

Game4Tino
05-01-07, 04:56 PM
Anyone seeing a pattern here. A lot of the players being named in this thread are Cashman aquisitions. He's had more than his fair share of busts and they seem to be pretty expensive at that. Hmmm...

flymick24
05-01-07, 05:44 PM
Oh I agree that he was a bust ... I was simply commenting that based on the criteria the original poster used, he didn't qualify.

taylor wasn't really a bust... he just got hurt

Dr. Gonzo
05-01-07, 07:37 PM
i expected a lot from vasquez and weaver.

mrmike98
05-01-07, 07:52 PM
Then again there was Ken Phelps.

JL25and3
05-01-07, 08:54 PM
Anyone seeing a pattern here. A lot of the players being named in this thread are Cashman aquisitions. He's had more than his fair share of busts and they seem to be pretty expensive at that. Hmmm...People are talking about Cashman acquisitions because they're fresh in our memories. But Steve Trout, Ed Whitson, Andy Hawkins, Tim Leary, Pascual Perez, Gary Ward, Ron Kittle, Dale Berra (god, he was awful), Omar the Outmaker, and so on, and so on...miserable pickups, every one of them a complete bust, and not one of them due to Cashman.

And quite a few of the ones that look so awful now won't matter much in a few years. Miguel Cairo is bad, but he's no worse than Tom Brookens or Wayne Tolleson or Clay Bellinger or a dozen other guys going back (in my memory) to Jerry Kenney, Bobby Cox and Gene Michael. (Anyone else remember the immortal trade of Roger Maris for Charley Smith?)

BillBuckner
05-01-07, 09:05 PM
Who??

JL25and3
05-01-07, 09:10 PM
Then again there was Ken Phelps.Oh, yeah. And Ken Phelps.

DerekJeter4MVP!!!
05-02-07, 02:11 AM
Mariano Rivera .. :lol: Just kidding But I agree with the people that most have named. I dont see Giambi as a bust though. Carl Pavano and Kevin Brown are huge busts that come to mind.

houstonnewyawka
05-02-07, 02:13 AM
People are talking about Cashman acquisitions because they're fresh in our memories. But Steve Trout, Ed Whitson, Andy Hawkins, Tim Leary, Pascual Perez, Gary Ward, Ron Kittle, Dale Berra (god, he was awful), Omar the Outmaker, and so on, and so on...miserable pickups, every one of them a complete bust, and not one of them due to Cashman.

Wow! What a trip down memory lane! Those were the good ole' lean years :) Tim Leary was absolutely the worst starting pitcher and I think he might've been the ace one year! I also remember such Yankee immortals like Steve Balboni, Hensley "Bam Bam" Meulens (if there ever was a more unfitting nickname - he should've been called "Whoosh Whoosh" for all the fanning he did with his bat), Roy Smalley, Butch Wynegar, Bobby Meacham, Mike Pagliarullo, Jesse Barfield, Mel Hall, Jack Clark... not necessarily all busts but made me reminesce about the dark ages.

Cap10Miracle
05-02-07, 02:19 AM
Brien Taylor was the first name to pop into my mind when I read this one. Other names I can think of are Kenny Rogers, Jeff Weaver, Kevin Maas, Andy Hawkins (well, pretty much most of the 1990 Yankees).

BRNXBMRS
05-02-07, 08:30 AM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Yeah but wasn't he the guy that blew the lead in Seattle in Game 5 that year?

Yes, Cone was at 140 pitches and McDowell came in, and Mo was on the bench.

BRNXBMRS
05-02-07, 08:34 AM
Oh, no, you have it exactly backwards with Black Jack. He hadn't been that great the first half of the season, but the game where he flipped the bird seemed to energize him - after that he was excellent.

Before flip-off: 7-6, 4.87
After flip-off: 8-4, 2.81

And he did lose the final game of the playoffs that year - but thta was a tremendously gritty performance in a tremendous ballgame. He came in in the 10th inning, on one day's rest, and he was obviously completely gassed. He gave it everything he had, he was just runnung on fumes. Meanwhile, Randy Johnson was doing the same thing on the other side - pitching the extra innings on one day's rest - and he still had some stuff.

So fault McDowell for losing it if you like, but I can't call that a bust. He pitched his heart out.

I didnt call McDowell a bust, nor was it his fault for losing that heartbreaker.

DannyCaterFan
05-02-07, 09:16 AM
Maybe not the biggest busts ...

1. Stan Williams. He was the pitcher from the Dodgers in the Bill "Moose" Skowron trade.

2. Bill Robinson. He was the 3B man from Atlanta in the Clete Boyer trade.

krystl
05-02-07, 10:14 AM
It's probably already been said, but every time I see this thread, I keep reading it as Biggest Butts in Yankee History. :lol:

JL25and3
05-02-07, 10:18 AM
I didnt call McDowell a bust, nor was it his fault for losing that heartbreaker.No, you didn't, and I should have been clearer. You did say that McDowell had a pretty good year; I was responding only to the impression that he blew up after he flipped off the Stadium crowd. I remember it clearly - both the day and the aftermath - and it was remarkable how that seemed to turn his whole season around.

And the part about the postseason was in response to a different post, which I should also have made clear.

JL25and3
05-02-07, 10:18 AM
It's probably already been said, but every time I see this thread, I keep reading it as Biggest Butts in Yankee History. :lol:Cecil Fielder.

krystl
05-02-07, 10:20 AM
Cecil Fielder.
:lol:

NYYFAN5388
05-02-07, 10:20 AM
Brown, Vazquez, Wright, Raul, White, Karsay

ace
05-02-07, 11:11 AM
The Armando Benitez Experiment

BonusCantos
05-02-07, 11:59 AM
Has everyone already forgotten Randy Johnson? Playoff bust? Yes. Two years, two huge ALDS Game 3's, two awful pitching performances.

Regular season? Not really. He won 34 games in 2 seasons, not bad at all.

PinstripePride
05-02-07, 12:04 PM
Playoff bust? Yes. Two years, two huge ALDS Game 3's, two awful pitching performances.

Regular season? Not really. He won 34 games in 2 seasons, not bad at all.

Thanks to a ton of run support. The man's ERA ballooned from 2.60 the year before we got him to 3.80, and then 5+. We got him to be a lights out missing piece. The first year he was solid in the regular season, but still not what we paid for, and sucked in the playoffs. The second year he was downright atrocious in the regular season and sh!t the bed in the playoffs again.

That's a bust in my book.

BonusCantos
05-02-07, 12:29 PM
Thanks to a ton of run support. The man's ERA ballooned from 2.60 the year before we got him to 3.80, and then 5+. We got him to be a lights out missing piece. The first year he was solid in the regular season, but still not what we paid for, and sucked in the playoffs. The second year he was downright atrocious in the regular season and sh!t the bed in the playoffs again.

That's a bust in my book.
He definitely wasn't what we thought he would be, but I don't think I can put him in the same category as Javy Vazquez, Jeff Weaver, etc. The Unit occasionally contributed.

Don Mattingly
05-02-07, 12:33 PM
No, you didn't, and I should have been clearer. You did say that McDowell had a pretty good year; I was responding only to the impression that he blew up after he flipped off the Stadium crowd. I remember it clearly - both the day and the aftermath - and it was remarkable how that seemed to turn his whole season around.

And the part about the postseason was in response to a different post, which I should also have made clear.

Guess you are right about Jack McD - withdrawn.

Shaun4013
05-02-07, 12:37 PM
Brian Taylor.

Murcer1
05-02-07, 12:39 PM
He definitely wasn't what we thought he would be, but I don't think I can put him in the same category as Javy Vazquez, Jeff Weaver, etc. The Unit occasionally contributed.

I agree. A disappointment for sure, but not what I would call a bust.

ynkefan23
05-02-07, 01:39 PM

Pat Kelly...he hit one of the biggest homeruns I remember!! Last weekend of the '95 season...i don't remember score etc... i DO remember saying to my buddy "How the hell is Showalter not pinch hitting for Kelly here?!"

next pitch...Home run...Yankees win and win the Wild Card 2 days later.

ynkefan23
05-02-07, 01:45 PM
Wow! What a trip down memory lane! Those were the good ole' lean years :) Tim Leary was absolutely the worst starting pitcher and I think he might've been the ace one year! I also remember such Yankee immortals like Steve Balboni, Hensley "Bam Bam" Meulens (if there ever was a more unfitting nickname - he should've been called "Whoosh Whoosh" for all the fanning he did with his bat), Roy Smalley, Butch Wynegar, Bobby Meacham, Mike Pagliarullo, Jesse Barfield, Mel Hall, Jack Clark... not necessarily all busts but made me reminesce about the dark ages.

i used to call Meulens "Whiff Whiff"

OlgMvp
05-02-07, 06:11 PM
I guess we could add Marty Miller to this thread :lol:

azzurribaggio
05-02-07, 08:51 PM

Vying for a spot??? At least those other busts played and showed they were a bust. This guy is a piece of crap....no way to defend this guy at all and those of you who try well...may the force be with you....

Tifoso
05-02-07, 08:52 PM
Vying for a spot??? At least those other busts played and showed they were a bust. This guy is a piece of crap....no way to defend this guy at all and those of you who try well...may the force be with you....

Careful.

azzurribaggio
05-02-07, 09:03 PM
Careful.

Well I know there are Pavano supports here, there is a thread.
But man this guy needs to get in there and pitch even if he's gonna get shelled.....The Yankees could've payed me 10% of that salary and I could've produced the same stats as him over the past 3 years....

Tifoso
05-02-07, 09:05 PM
Well I know there are Pavano supports here, there is a thread.
But man this guy needs to get in there and pitch even if he's gonna get shelled.....The Yankees could've payed me 10% of that salary and I could've produced the same stats as him over the past 3 years....

I agree with you, TBH. It's calling him a piece of **** that'll get you into trouble.;)

azzurribaggio
05-02-07, 09:22 PM
I agree with you, TBH. It's calling him a piece of **** that'll get you into trouble.;)

Pisan??

drjeckyl
05-02-07, 09:29 PM
Carl Pavano >> Ken Phelps >> Don Gullett

JL25and3
05-02-07, 09:53 PM
Carl Pavano >> Ken Phelps >> Don GullettAre you serious? Gullett was exactly the guy they signed, a very good pitcher with elbow problems that put him on the DL every year. His first year with NY he was 14-4, which was a classic Gullett sort of year. The next year his arm finally went south to stay.

But he was way better than Phelps or Pavano.

I have a vivid memory of a game in 1977 where Gullett went up against Mark Fidrych - two terrific pitchers struggling with injuries. It turned out to be a first-rate pitcher's duel, both pitching complete games; Gullett gave up 2 runs on 5 hits, but Fidrych threw a 3-hitter and won, 2-1. Great game.

ymike673
05-03-07, 12:49 AM
taylor wasn't really a bust... he just got hurt

I saw Taylor pitch in the minors several times before his injury. He never impressed me. Never put up numbers like Hughes did last season.

ymike673
05-03-07, 12:58 AM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

It was closer Wettleland who was on the bench. Mo pitched the night before but no one in 1995 knew how great he would be. He was a rookie.

Bob Saccomano
05-03-07, 04:55 AM
A lot of the players mentioned here did actually play for some time, even if it wasn't up to snuff or what was expected of them. Carl Pavano's numbers for the Yankees:

2005 100 IP, 129 H, 53 ER, 17 HR, 56 K, 1.47 WHIP, 4.77 ERA
2007 11.1 IP, 12 H, 6 ER, 1 HR, 4 K, 1.24 WHIP, 4.76 ERA

If he doesn't pitch again for the Yankees this year, he will have been paid approximately $269,461 per inning and roughly $500,000 per strikeout.

I Heart Jeter
05-03-07, 09:39 AM
Laura Posada

RhodeyYankee2638
05-03-07, 09:40 AM
Laura Posada

post of the day

Maynerd
05-03-07, 09:45 AM
Laura Posada
For the win....

OldYankeeFan
05-03-07, 09:59 AM
I guess we could add Marty Miller to this thread :lol:

Shortest lasting bust for sure.

OldYankeeFan
05-03-07, 10:00 AM
Laura Posada

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Reggie Smith
05-03-07, 11:30 AM
Laura Posada

OMG, just had to go look that up :eek::eek:

ynkefan23
05-03-07, 01:56 PM
Laura is hot...we sit near the family section at the stadium so i see her alot.

Here's one people...go back in time and trace the #45 in Yankee recent history...and tell me how many of those people were busts...I won't name names until you can get some...

Maynerd
05-03-07, 02:32 PM
Here's one people...go back in time and trace the #45 in Yankee recent history...and tell me how many of those people were busts...I won't name names until you can get some...
Witasick?
Heredia?
Tartabull?

And how has the Hall of Fame overlooked Kevin Mmahat?

ynkefan23
05-04-07, 04:09 PM
Witasick?
Heredia?
Tartabull?

Keep going...PAVANO?
and get this Girardi WAS 45 and after his horrible start switched to 25. You can look it up.
45 is cursed.

In Mo I Trust
05-04-07, 04:55 PM
Laura Posada

:roflmao:

OlgMvp
05-04-07, 04:58 PM
Well with Phil Hughes love for numbers that end with 5...let's start a petition that prevents him from eventually taking the number 45, since by the time he comes back, Pavano will most likely be on the chopping block.

yankees135
05-04-07, 05:39 PM
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;">Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Actually, Mo pitched in that game (i think the 9th?) Wetteland was the one left on the bench, much to my annoyance. Wetteland was awful in game 4, but it still seemed like his job to protect a one run lead. They left cone in for 140 pitches because at the time, they had no idea how good Rivera was, and didn't bring him in until after cone blew the lead.

Edit: Sorry, looks like someone already pointed this out!

yankees135
05-04-07, 05:39 PM
How about ruben rivera? The guy was hailed as "the best yankees prospect since mickey mantle" and he never made any impact

North Bronx Fan
05-04-07, 10:57 PM
Keep going...PAVANO?
and get this Girardi WAS 45 and after his horrible start switched to 25. You can look it up.
45 is cursed.

Didn't Girardi swap numbers when Cecil Fielder came to the team?

drjeckyl
05-05-07, 06:42 AM
Are you serious? Gullett was exactly the guy they signed, a very good pitcher with elbow problems that put him on the DL every year. His first year with NY he was 14-4, which was a classic Gullett sort of year. The next year his arm finally went south to stay.

True.... If I think about some more, I could come up with others...

Pinstripedbass
05-05-07, 07:36 AM
Witasick?
Heredia?
Tartabull?

I go as far back as Rudy May and Terry Whitfield having worn #45. Ugh.

Yankeeah
05-06-07, 12:13 PM
I would so far as to say that Carl Pavano is the biggest free-agent bust of all-time now that he is done in pinstripes. He pitched in what, 15 games over a 4 year contract?

BonusCantos
05-06-07, 06:59 PM
Carl Pavano: 4 years, 5 wins, 40 million clams

ymike673
05-06-07, 10:16 PM
I guess you can add Igawa to the list. 46 Million to sign him and now with the addition of Clemens there will be no place for him in the rotation.

In Mo I Trust
05-06-07, 10:18 PM
I'd wait a bit on Igawa before calling him a bust.

Bob Saccomano
05-06-07, 10:50 PM
I guess you can add Igawa to the list. 46 Million to sign him and now with the addition of Clemens there will be no place for him in the rotation.

That 46 million wasn't for 1 year. Clemens will probably only stay here for the duration of this year, at which time there will, perhaps, be a place for him in the rotation. I still think that he has shown signs that he can be a decent part of the team.

Don't know if it's fair to call a guy a bust in 6 starts.

ChinMusic
05-07-07, 01:56 PM
Are you serious? Gullett was exactly the guy they signed, a very good pitcher with elbow problems that put him on the DL every year. His first year with NY he was 14-4, which was a classic Gullett sort of year. The next year his arm finally went south to stay.

But he was way better than Phelps or Pavano.

I have a vivid memory of a game in 1977 where Gullett went up against Mark Fidrych - two terrific pitchers struggling with injuries. It turned out to be a first-rate pitcher's duel, both pitching complete games; Gullett gave up 2 runs on 5 hits, but Fidrych threw a 3-hitter and won, 2-1. Great game.

Gullett was a pretty big bust. Didnt he get caught with several tons of Marijuana on his farm?

ymike673
05-07-07, 02:02 PM
That 46 million wasn't for 1 year. Clemens will probably only stay here for the duration of this year, at which time there will, perhaps, be a place for him in the rotation. I still think that he has shown signs that he can be a decent part of the team.

Don't know if it's fair to call a guy a bust in 6 starts.

I was only joking but if you figure Hughes will be in the rotation when his hamstring heals that leaves one open spot next season. If DeSalvo pitches as well as Rasner did on Sunday there still mightl not be any room for Igawa in the rotation in 2008. Really think Cash should not have signed this guy..

bobbymagee
05-07-07, 02:48 PM
Denny Nagle

bobbymagee
05-07-07, 02:49 PM
Gullett was a pretty big bust. Didnt he get caught with several tons of Marijuana on his farm?

Bob Denver

MattManNWO
05-07-07, 04:54 PM
Jeff Weaver and Felix Heredia. End of story.

And how dare, how dareeee anyone call Boone a bust. I expected nothing from him, and that home run was more than i can ask for.

emma8827
04-13-11, 11:35 AM
Post removed by moderator.

Ninja0980
04-13-11, 11:37 AM
Carl Pavano and Jeff Weaver. It still sickens me that they won World Series rings with other teams, yet people like Mercer and Mussina never did.

BRNXBMRS
04-13-11, 12:36 PM
i got a ball from the 1977 world series.
It has 27 names on it. i have only been able to make out 24 of them { ron guidry, reggie jackson, george zeber, mickey rivers, dave kingman, fred stanley, chris chambliss, graig nettles, lou piniella, billy martin, jim (james) "catfish" hunter, eddie figueroa, kenny holtzman, don gullett, sparky lyle, bucky dent, cliff johnson, fran healy, paul blair, willie randolph, dick tidrow, roy white, elston howard and mike torrez}. its not in the best of shape and some names are worn. but for the most part its pretty good. its never been seriously cared for. it was my fathers but he was a mets fan so he never cared for it. its been tossed around. lost and found again. 7 moves 3 diffrent states and even over seas. not that its history matters but i think for what its been threw its in damn good shape. i want to know roughly how much it would go for if it were to be sold.

I'll give you $10.00 for it

iiMax
04-13-11, 12:45 PM
I would put Carl Pavano on this list because he was signed to be a #1 and became a #0.

StingrayJG
04-13-11, 01:17 PM
Kevin Brown, Javy Vazquez (both times) and Carl Pavano

Bub
04-13-11, 01:19 PM
I'd wait a bit on Igawa before calling him a bust.Calling Igawa a bust would be kind. Even if he shows up and wins 10 games this year, the final year of his contract, I'd still call him a bust.....and him winning 10 games this year is probably a longer shot than the Royals winning the world series. Yeah, I'm very comfortable with "bust" here.

NYYDragoon
04-13-11, 01:20 PM
Calling Igawa a bust would be kind. Even if he shows up and wins 10 games this year, the final year of his contract, I'd still call him a bust.....and him winning 10 games this year is probably a longer shot than the Royals winning the world series. Yeah, I'm very comfortable with "bust" here.
I hope you realize the post you quoted is from 2007.

Thread was bumped by that emma person who has spammed the same message in multiple threads.

Bub
04-13-11, 01:29 PM
I hope you realize the post you quoted is from 2007.

Thread was bumped by that emma person who has spammed the same message in multiple threads.
Thanks. I'm on it.

BronxYanks45
04-13-11, 01:39 PM
I'm shocked no mention of Nick Johnson atleast the 2010 version

Hitman23
04-13-11, 01:46 PM
I'm shocked no mention of Nick Johnson atleast the 2010 versionThe good thing about Nick Johnson is that we learned after years of watching him break like a piece of glass year after year not to sign him again.

oh wait... :lol:

I don't think NJ was a bust. He was more of a well needed lesson in paying attention.

JOBA RULES
04-13-11, 01:56 PM
Jason Giambi was kind of a bust if you ask me.....

I am very grateful for the 2 hrs in game 7 of the 03 ALCS though.

Mr. Mxylsplk
04-13-11, 02:10 PM
Every signing should be that kind of bust.

False1
04-13-11, 02:24 PM
Jason Giambi was kind of a bust if you ask me.....

I am very grateful for the 2 hrs in game 7 of the 03 ALCS though.I can't understand why people keep saying this. Overpaid, maybe. A bust? Heck no. He was highly productive over the life of that deal.

Not big dollars, but I thought Womack was one of the dumbest signings we ever made. Dude was terrible.

Ninja0980
04-13-11, 02:26 PM
I can't understand why people keep saying this. Overpaid, maybe. A bust? Heck no. He was highly productive over the life of that deal.

Not big dollars, but I thought Womack was one of the dumbest signings we ever made. Dude was terrible.
He got signed because of what he did in 01, in the series against the Cardinals...and well, you all know the other game...
He sucked here but has a stupid 01 ring...bleh

Hitman23
04-13-11, 02:48 PM
He got signed because of what he did in 01, in the series against the Cardinals...and well, you all know the other game...
He sucked here but has a stupid 01 ring...blehI always chalked him up to being one of those guys that was in the "Yankee killer" group and got signed because of it. Could be wrong but I could really see no other reason for it.

BRNXBMRS
04-13-11, 03:25 PM
I can't understand why people keep saying this. Overpaid, maybe. A bust? Heck no. He was highly productive over the life of that deal.

Giambi wasnt worth the $$, he was horrible at defense and was a station to staion runner outside of his obp, his #'s went down hill every year.

Hitman23
04-13-11, 03:27 PM
I don't think Giambi earned the money he was paid but he did cause damage. I don't really consider him a bust. Just overpaid.

False1
04-13-11, 03:31 PM
Giambi wasnt worth the $$, he was horrible at defense and was a station to staion runner outside of his obp, his #'s went down hill every year.Woth the money and "bust" are two different evaluations.

He had a 143 OPS+ when with us. That's incredible.

Would you consider Miguel Cabrera a bust, since his defense is horrible and he's also station to station on the bases?

hellonewman
04-13-11, 10:29 PM
Duffy Lewis

JOBA RULES
04-13-11, 10:34 PM

For the money we paid him he didn't live up to it....hence somewhat of a bust.

TheInfallibleOne
04-13-11, 10:40 PM
For the money we paid him he didn't live up to it....hence somewhat of a bust.

I never liked Giambi. But I can't call him a bust. He was amazing here. Managed to clog up the basepaths, but the only place I feel he hurt us was with the glove and maybe the year he had the tumor.

The Q Bomb
04-13-11, 10:42 PM
Kei Igawa
Carl Pavano
Drew Henson
Steve Karsay
Rondell White
Nick Johnson II

are a few that come to mind.

A few others that were not exactly busts but certainly did not do what was expected are:

Giambi
Knoblauch (but by no means was he a bust; he was very important to several championships)
A few players mentioned in this post, like Lofton, Womack, Kevin Brown, I don't consider disappointments because I didn't expect much from them anyway. Those three, in particular, were poor fits and I blame The Yankees for trading for them more than I blame them for poor performances. As someone pointed out, Randy Johnson had two very good seasons for The Yankees and two poor playoff series - what do you expect when you trade for a guy at the END of his career? I also don't consider Cecil Fielder a bust - he contributed big-time to the '96 championship.

hellonewman
04-13-11, 11:01 PM
Just went back and read the whole thread ... one thing that sticks out is a lot of people can't seem to grasp the concept of what a "bust" is.

Oh by the way ... Walter Beall.

philleotardo
04-13-11, 11:51 PM
: Randy Johnson had two very good seasons for The Yankees and two poor playoff series He did not have a good '06 season

tjbrady
04-13-11, 11:55 PM
pedro feliciano

Ram Man
04-14-11, 12:18 AM
Brien Taylor

BRNXBMRS
04-14-11, 08:56 AM
Just went back and read the whole thread ... one thing that sticks out is a lot of people can't seem to grasp the concept of what a "bust" is.

bust<SUP> 1</SUP><SCRIPT>play_w2("B0575500")</SCRIPT> (bhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ubreve.gifst)

1. A sculpture representing a person's head, shoulders, and upper chest
a. A woman's bosom

:P

Kentucky Bomber
04-14-11, 09:03 AM
Rich McKinney, Bill Robinson, Kei Igawa, Steve Kemp

35Knucklecurve
04-14-11, 11:36 AM
Pavano
Igawa
Pavano
Karsay
Pavano
Brown
Pavano

ymike673
04-14-11, 11:40 AM
Steve Trout!

hbk81
04-14-11, 11:53 AM
Felix Heredia...

BRNXBMRS
04-14-11, 11:58 AM
Felix Heredia...

Torre loved him some reason.

False1
04-14-11, 12:01 PM
Kei Igawa
Carl Pavano
Drew Henson
Steve Karsay
Rondell White
Nick Johnson II
are a few that come to mind.

A few others that were not exactly busts but certainly did not do what was expected are:

Giambi
Knoblauch (but by no means was he a bust; he was very important to several championships)
A few players mentioned in this post, like Lofton, Womack, Kevin Brown, I don't consider disappointments because I didn't expect much from them anyway. Those three, in particular, were poor fits and I blame The Yankees for trading for them more than I blame them for poor performances. As someone pointed out, Randy Johnson had two very good seasons for The Yankees and two poor playoff series - what do you expect when you trade for a guy at the END of his career? I also don't consider Cecil Fielder a bust - he contributed big-time to the '96 championship.I agree with your initial list, and some good adds there that no one else has thrown out (e.g. Henson), and I understand you caveat... but Giambi and Knoblauch really shouldn't be mentioned at all in this thread.

BronxYanks45
04-14-11, 12:10 PM
pedro feliciano

sad but true.

I forgot Kei Igawa as well

Mr. Mxylsplk
04-14-11, 01:01 PM
Steve Trout!
I remember Art Rust Jr. (anyone remember him) pronouncing the Yanks as pennant winners when they made that trade. So much for that.

philleotardo
04-14-11, 01:07 PM
I remember Art Rust Jr. (anyone remember him) pronouncing the Yanks as pennant winners when they made that trade. So much for that.
Wasn't Trout the subject of Steinbrenner's "just won you the pennant" comment, or was that Phelps?

False1
04-14-11, 02:13 PM
Wasn't Trout the subject of Steinbrenner's "just won you the pennant" comment, or was that Phelps?It was trout. I remember being at summer camp as a kid and my folks would clip Yankee news/box scores out of the Bergen Record and send them to me. I remember the box score for his first start. The Yankees lost 20-3, with Rick Cerone being the only "pitcher" that could get anyone out apparently. It went downhill from there.

number23forever
04-14-11, 02:48 PM
I didn't go back through this entire thread. But one name that must appear here somewhere is Britt Burns. For those who don't remember (or were not born yet :eek:): He was signed from being a productive pitcher for the ChiSox at a time when we needed pitching badly. It was discovered in spring training that he had a degenarative hip condition and he never pitched in a regular season game for the Yankees.

False1
04-14-11, 02:51 PM
I didn't go back through this entire thread. But one name that must appear here somewhere is Britt Burns. For those who don't remember (or were not born yet :eek:): He was signed from being a productive pitcher for the ChiSox at a time when we needed pitching badly. It was discovered in spring training that he had a degenarative hip condition and he never pitched in a regular season game for the Yankees.Good call, don't think I've seen him mentioned yet. And making it worse, he wasn't signed... we gave up Cowley (who at the time was a decent SP) and Hassey in that deal I think. Yeah, big time bust.

BRNXBMRS
04-14-11, 03:03 PM
Rick Rhoden

Big_E
04-14-11, 03:55 PM
I didn't go back through this entire thread. But one name that must appear here somewhere is Britt Burns. For those who don't remember (or were not born yet :eek:): He was signed from being a productive pitcher for the ChiSox at a time when we needed pitching badly. It was discovered in spring training that he had a degenarative hip condition and he never pitched in a regular season game for the Yankees.

he was mentioned in post #56

ace
04-14-11, 05:45 PM
pedro feliciano

Seconded

Cuban Connection
04-14-11, 06:46 PM
Here I thought the thread was bumped with the recent news that Damaso Marte would be out for the year (I know, I know. The 2009 WS.)

Jason Giambi was the AL's highest paid player in 2007 when he posted a 107 OPS+.

In his peak with the A's (1998-2001) he had a slash line of .330/.458/.617 with a 179 OPS+
making $9.6 million.

In his last three years with the Yankees he had a slash line of .247/.386/.485 with a 120 OPS+ making $67.3 million.

Tino's Girl
04-15-11, 08:45 AM
Irabu