PDA

View Full Version : First Day of Spring Sock Burning Ritual

fredgmuggs
03-22-06, 07:42 AM
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/03/20/burning_of_socks_planned_in_annapolis/

I know I'm a little late with this...
Did anybody else read/hear about the yacht club in Maryland that has a traditional sock burning on the first day of spring? I think they are on to something and next year I'm going to have to go to Annapolis with a pair of socks.... you have to have fun in life. This line from the article made me chuckle - "It's a good idea to stand upwind".

LilChief
03-22-06, 09:14 AM
How about we burn RED Socks? ;) I'll meet you somewhere along Rt 8 and we can burn them on the banks of the Naugatuck River!

Arod for President
03-22-06, 09:22 AM
Weirdos. They arnt just living in NYC

fredgmuggs
03-22-06, 11:26 AM
How about we burn RED Socks? ;) I'll meet you somewhere along Rt 8 and we can burn them on the banks of the Naugatuck River!

How about meeting at Maggie McFly's over in Southbury? I don't own a pair of red socks, but if you bring a pair with you, it will be my pleasure to incinerate them for you. We probably should leave the Naugatuck River out of it... it has enough problems already, without adding red sock ashes to it. :D

LilChief
03-22-06, 11:54 AM
How about meeting at Maggie McFly's over in Southbury? I don't own a pair of red socks, but if you bring a pair with you, it will be my pleasure to incinerate them for you. We probably should leave the Naugatuck River out of it... it has enough problems already, without adding red sock ashes to it. :D

You're probably right, the Naugy River doesn't need any more junk! I'll have to see if my boys have any old red baseball socks left from previous years uniforms...I'm sure they would be willing to donate them for a good cause!
Do you mean the Maggie McFly's at exit 17, up the road from Hop Brook? My son goes to Holy Cross so I'm withing a minute or two of there almost every day!;) We could start our own tradition! Anyone else want to join us?:D

DontHateOnNumber2
03-22-06, 01:45 PM
I would love to join, but unfortunately I can't take just a few hours out of my day to torch the symbol of a team that I cannot stand because I live thousands of miles away. If you end up going through with it though be sure to take pictures! :)

mdoats
03-22-06, 02:33 PM
Hmm... I lived in Annapolis for years and that article was the first time I ever heard mention of a sock burning party.