PDA

View Full Version : Yankees finally offerering secondary ticket market

gold23
03-16-06, 01:04 PM
After almost every other professional team (at least most of the successful ones that sell a large amount of tickets) beat them to the punch, the Yanks are finally offering their own version of a secondary ticketing market.

For the first time, season ticket holders will be able to post their tickets for sale- up to a 40% premium above face value. Pretty much helps everyone involved- season holders (like myself) who do not sell to brokers or ebay but have premium tickets will be able to do so easily. Fans who in the past were unable to secure these types of tickets will now have a forum to do so- at a reasonable price compared to any other form for comparable tix.

My sense is that the Yanks will charge a healthy processing fee on the purchase, possibly the sale as well. Additionally, they ensure a used seat that results in per cap revenue for the game. I know that out of 81 home games, I typically allow 7-10 games go unused. Simply last minute plans changing, people returning tickets too late to do anything about it, etc.

Pretty much a win-win for everyone. I like the fact that I can re-sell my tickets for a profit in a way that the Yanks approve (part of the reason I don't re-sell to others is the fear of Yankee repercussions and part is that I don't like to help brokers or rip people off). Fans who put in the effort online can likely score good tickets to many games, and it might hurt the brokers a bit. All good things.

Dr. Gonzo
03-16-06, 01:24 PM
After almost every other professional team (at least most of the successful ones that sell a large amount of tickets) beat them to the punch, the Yanks are finally offering their own version of a secondary ticketing market.

For the first time, season ticket holders will be able to post their tickets for sale- up to a 40% premium above face value. Pretty much helps everyone involved- season holders (like myself) who do not sell to brokers or ebay but have premium tickets will be able to do so easily. Fans who in the past were unable to secure these types of tickets will now have a forum to do so- at a reasonable price compared to any other form for comparable tix.

My sense is that the Yanks will charge a healthy processing fee on the purchase, possibly the sale as well. Additionally, they ensure a used seat that results in per cap revenue for the game. I know that out of 81 home games, I typically allow 7-10 games go unused. Simply last minute plans changing, people returning tickets too late to do anything about it, etc.

Pretty much a win-win for everyone. I like the fact that I can re-sell my tickets for a profit in a way that the Yanks approve (part of the reason I don't re-sell to others is the fear of Yankee repercussions and part is that I don't like to help brokers or rip people off). Fans who put in the effort online can likely score good tickets to many games, and it might hurt the brokers a bit. All good things.

how about I just buy them all of you

RhodyYanksFan
03-16-06, 01:52 PM
40% markup seems a bit high. Unless it's a playoff game, I'm not gonna want to pay 30 bucks for a $18 seat (after fees).

gold23
03-16-06, 01:58 PM
40% markup seems a bit high. Unless it's a playoff game, I'm not gonna want to pay 30 bucks for a $18 seat (after fees).

True in some instances, but my tickets this year are $110 each. There are tens of thousands of people who will pay $154 per ticket to sit in these seats- and it would be hundreds cheaper than getting them from any other source.

It may not work for some of the tickets, but for field level box seats, I can't imagine the tickets remaining on the network more than a few minutes.

Yankee-1
03-16-06, 02:05 PM
I have a Plan B season tickets Tier Box MVP 626 row c 2 seats. Above the vistor dugout and a great view into the Yankee dugout

I can not go to all games. I sell them at face value plus mailing cost.

email me at ultsportcltr@utech.net if interested.

Yankee-1

tdel23
03-16-06, 02:09 PM
hmmm I don't remember getting an email from the Yankees about this...I have tickets in RF bleachers if anyone is ever interested.

gold23
03-16-06, 02:15 PM
hmmm I don't remember getting an email from the Yankees about this...I have tickets in RF bleachers if anyone is ever interested.

It actually came in a letter from them dated December, 2005. It refers to the "Yankee Pinstripe Marketplace", detailing the terms of use. Upon review, it's actually allowing a 45% increase above face.

tdel23
03-16-06, 03:23 PM
It actually came in a letter from them dated December, 2005. It refers to the "Yankee Pinstripe Marketplace", detailing the terms of use. Upon review, it's actually allowing a 45% increase above face.

sweet thanks for the heads up.

SoCal Pinstriper
03-16-06, 06:02 PM
There are systems used by teams that void the barcode on the original paper ticket, and allow the secondary pruchaser to pick up a new ducat at willcall, avoidng shipping hassles. Will the Yankees system allow this? It is very convenient, and somwhat justifies the service charge taken by the team.

RhodyYanksFan
03-16-06, 06:08 PM
True in some instances, but my tickets this year are $110 each. There are tens of thousands of people who will pay $154 per ticket to sit in these seats- and it would be hundreds cheaper than getting them from any other source.

Do you own a business or something? I'm so jealous that you can afford 81 games at $110 per. :eek:

Mr. Mxylsplk
03-17-06, 11:36 AM
There are systems used by teams that void the barcode on the original paper ticket, and allow the secondary pruchaser to pick up a new ducat at willcall, avoidng shipping hassles. Will the Yankees system allow this? It is very convenient, and somwhat justifies the service charge taken by the team.
Usually you don't even need to go to will call, you can just print out the new barcode. Some teams, like the ny giants, even let you email your season tickets to someone, so you can sell them yourself and transfer the tickets electronically. As you say, it's extremely convenient.

WTrain44
03-17-06, 12:10 PM
Usually you don't even need to go to will call, you can just print out the new barcode. Some teams, like the ny giants, even let you email your season tickets to someone, so you can sell them yourself and transfer the tickets electronically. As you say, it's extremely convenient.

I think some Yankee plans let you do that too.

Mr. Mxylsplk
03-17-06, 03:31 PM
I think some Yankee plans let you do that too.
Cool. It's good to see teams making things easier for fans.

rothsteg
03-17-06, 03:50 PM
Here's the text of the release. Note, it doesn't say when it will be available. The San Francisco Giants had a similar system available at least 5 years ago and the NY Giants, Jets, Rangers and Knicks (yes even MSG did something ahead of the Yankees) have had fixed price over face systems for a few years.

Yankees Pinstripe Marketplace:

The Yankees are working hard to introduce the Yankees Pinstripe Marketplace - a new and exciting website feature which will create a forum through which Full Season Ticket Licensees will be permitted to resell their Tickets for games they are unable to attend. As a Full Season Ticket Licensee, you will be permitted to resell your Tickets, on an individual game basis, for a price above the established Ticket price. Payment for Tickets that are purchased through the Yankees Pinstripe Marketplace are settled electronically and the Tickets will be delivered to the buyer via e-mail using TicketFast technology. With TicketFast electronic delivery, the buyer will be able to print the Tickets instantly on any standard printer. With the Yankees Pinstripe Marketplace, your Tickets can be resold without violating the Yankees' Ticket License and none of your Tickets will go to waste.*

gold23
03-17-06, 05:25 PM
The Yanks already have a system where you can forward your seasons to someone else. They simply print out the ticket, with barcode attached. I assume this system will be identical to the one that the Rangers use, which is simply printing out a paper ticket on your computer.

gold23
03-17-06, 05:27 PM
Do you own a business or something? I'm so jealous that you can afford 81 games at $110 per. :eek:

Well......split with my brother we have 4 seats. Back in the early 90's these seats were less than $20 per- unbelievable increase.

Anyway, it isn't the softest hit to the pocketbook. I generally get the $ back for the games I don't attend, as we simply take face from friends, family, etc. So while it seems like an enormous sum, in the end it is a little more palatable.

ctan
03-20-06, 08:30 PM
Ah, but it looks like you have to have the 81 game plan to use the service. I have the ^%&$# "Flex" plan now... ah well.

SteveMahwah
03-20-06, 10:38 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I have three seats for the A plan this year and there are numreous games that I can't attend. They are in Tier reserved section 13, Row J (9th row), aisle seats. This is an alcohol-free section even with the first base bag and the Tier MVP section. I am selling them for what I paid to forum members, $17 each, $51 for the three seats. If you're interested in a list of what dates are available you can email me at stevesguard-nyyfans@yahoo.com and I'll email you the current list. Sorry, but Opening Day, Mets and Red Sox are already gone. You can pay for shipping, or meet me at the seats for a future game.

First come first served! :D