PDA

View Full Version : Sports journalist Ed Lucas to be married at Yankee Stadium (3/10/2006)

Jersey Yankee
03-07-06, 05:47 PM
BASEBALL, HIS BRIDE
Journalist first to wed at Yankee Stadium field (http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/living-0/1141726270174380.xml?jjournal?liv&coll=3)

Ticking off the days until Opening Day, baseball journalist Ed Lucas has contrived a way to gain access to Yankee Stadium a month early: by getting married there.

A longtime Jersey City resident, Lucas, 67, will wed his fiancee, Allison Pheifle, at the first on-the-field wedding ceremony to be performed at the site he calls "the mecca of baseball."

According to Yankee spokesman, Ben Tuliebitz, weddings have been held in the Yankee Clubhouse and Monument Park before. A request for a ceremony on the hallowed field had never been made on an available date.

Sam18
03-07-06, 05:48 PM
Who?

Jersey Yankee
03-07-06, 05:51 PM
Who?

A. sports. journalist. That's. who.

Got. it?

Sam18
03-07-06, 05:52 PM
A. sports. journalist. That's. who.

Got. it?

Yes but I've never heard of him.

Jersey Yankee
03-07-06, 05:59 PM
Yes but I've never heard of him.
Neither have I. He's still getting wed at YS-II. Got it? :D

Sam18
03-07-06, 06:07 PM
Neither have I. He's still getting wed at YS-II. Got it? :D

Not totally. Why is he getting married at YSII?

wexy
03-07-06, 07:00 PM
???????????????????
Brad, before you know it will be Opening Day.

Jersey Yankee
03-07-06, 07:02 PM
Not totally. Why is he getting married at YSII?
Becuz ... it was there!!! :p

???????????????????
Brad, before you know it will be Opening Day.
Rich, before you know it, we'll be celebrating down Broadway.

KevinBaseball
03-08-06, 09:37 AM
BASEBALL, HIS BRIDE
Journalist first to wed at Yankee Stadium field (http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/living-0/1141726270174380.xml?jjournal?liv&coll=3)

This might be the most useless piece of information I have ever heard, and thanls to this guy, I have now forgotten my social security number.

WashingtonYankee
03-08-06, 10:18 AM
You know what? Congrats to the guy. Yay, for him. :)

Sam18
03-08-06, 11:11 AM
Becuz ... it was there!!! :p

Rich, before you know it, we'll be celebrating down Broadway.

But why isn't he getting married somewhere else? Like a church or something.

Jersey Yankee
03-08-06, 11:14 AM
But why isn't he getting married somewhere else? Like a church or something.
Instead of a Church, he chose Yankee Stadium, which is a Cathedral. :p

This might be the most useless piece of information I have ever heard, and thanls to this guy, I have now forgotten my social security number.
It's the 9-digit number starting with "5-2-4". Got it? :P

-JY
Purveyor Extraordinaire of Useless Info

Sam18
03-08-06, 11:24 AM
Instead of a Church, he chose Yankee Stadium, which is a Cathedral. :p

It's the 9-digit number starting with "5-2-4". Got it? :P

-JY
Purveyor Extraordinaire of Useless Info

He's Catholic?

Casey37
03-08-06, 11:53 AM
I wonder if Mike Lupica will ever get married at Yankee Stadium.:dunno:

WTrain44
03-08-06, 12:54 PM
That is awesome. I have always wanted to get married at Yankee stadium.

hardrain
03-08-06, 02:01 PM
I've always wanted to get married at Stan's

DaPip1998
03-08-06, 02:16 PM

'Those' type of marriages aren't legal in NY yet....

Casey37
03-08-06, 02:31 PM
'Those' type of marriages aren't legal in NY yet....

Perfect answer.....:lol:

Jersey Yankee
03-08-06, 07:11 PM
He's Catholic?
Cathedral, Synagogue, Mosque. Who cares? It's a Mecca for all Baseball!

... that should not be torn down! :P

Jersey Yankee
03-08-06, 07:12 PM
To who? CHB? If so, they'd do this at Fenway. I hear they like that stuff down there. :gulp::O

Wheat
03-10-06, 04:10 PM
This makes more sense now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2362880

wexy
03-11-06, 11:23 AM
Thats true Wheat. I've seen that gentleman on the news before and saw him call a game.
J.Y. didn't give us the info that he was the blind baseball announcer.
Best of luck to him and his bride.

thecaptain
03-11-06, 12:53 PM
The Scooter introduced them .. :clap:

Jersey Yankee
03-11-06, 05:50 PM
Thats true Wheat. I've seen that gentleman on the news before and saw him call a game.
J.Y. didn't give us the info that he was the blind baseball announcer.
Best of luck to him and his bride.
From the article accompanying original post here:

Baseball first imprinted itself on Lucas's life on Oct. 3, 1951 - the day New York Giants outfielder Bobby Thomson hit the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" to win the pennant. As his father rejoiced by smashing dishes around the house, 12-year-old Lucas went to pitch a game of baseball. During that same game, a line drive struck him between the eyes, detaching both retinas and blinding him.

Lucas attended Jersey City's St. Joseph's School for the Blind - where he credits the nuns with teaching him to be self-sufficient - and Seton Hall University, where he majored in Communications.

Determined to be involved in baseball, Lucas picked up work with New Jersey radio stations and newspapers - including The Jersey Journal - and became a fixture at Yankee and Shea stadiums, conducting interviews with players.

When asked about Yankee luminaries, he calls Reggie Jackson "a gentleman" and notes that the famously temperamental owner George Steinbrenner "goes out of his way when he sees me just to say hello."

He saves the highest praise for Rizzuto - who outranks Derek Jeter as the best Yankee to have played shortstop, according to Lucas, who met the icon shortly after he was blinded.

Rizzuto, 88, still participates in the annual fundraiser golf tournament Lucas organizes in his capacity as director of Development and Public Education at St. Joseph's School for the Blind.
Hey, when I post useless info, I at least make it useful!!! :gulp::D

flymick24
03-13-06, 03:32 AM
congrats to him.

theresa
03-13-06, 06:33 AM
Dear Jersey Yankee: Thanks for posting this great article. This man could have been angry at baseball because of the tragic accident that occurred, but he chose to embrace it. My hat is off to him. I sent this article to friends and family because it was inspiring. Hope all members of this website are enjoying the spring, and hope to see you all at Yankee stadium in the future.