PDA

View Full Version : Why worry about 2006, when you can plan for 2007?

yankees76
02-23-06, 01:45 AM
After years of bloated, unproductive contracts (Kevin Brown, anyone?), I was stunned to look at the Yankees' salary commitments for 2007. Basically, the team has $113.4 million committed, and while that is a lot for most organizations, it is only 56% of recent average payroll ($200MM) for the Yankees, which leaves them a ton of flexibility going forward.

Aside from assorted odds 'n' ends (like owing Clemens money through 2014), the Yankees are only committed to eight of 25 roster spots. Now, Cashman has indicated that he plans to play Jorge enough to trigger his option, and barring precipitous physical decline, plans to pick up Sheffield's option as well, but that still leaves the team with a lot of flexibility.

http://www.hardballdollars.com/team.php?team=yankees&name=Yankees

yankees26mariners0
02-23-06, 02:21 AM
This is especially good because if I recall correctly the 2006-07 offseason class is supposed to be really deep. I'd love to watch the Yankees get a better group of players than the Sox after all the talk about how much money they are saving with Coco Crisp and AGonzalez.

ryanthe13th
02-23-06, 02:33 AM
This is especially good because if I recall correctly the 2006-07 offseason class is supposed to be really deep. I'd love to watch the Yankees get a better group of players than the Sox after all the talk about how much money they are saving with Coco Crisp and AGonzalez.

Yeah well, no amount of money saved can make up for the amount of talent Alex Gonzalez does not have.

Krall
02-23-06, 03:07 AM
Do I want to know why the NYYs owe Clemens money till 2014?! Wasn't the damn Hummer enough ? :P

SoCal Pinstriper
02-23-06, 03:16 AM
This is especially good because if I recall correctly the 2006-07 offseason class is supposed to be really deep. . Here is the list of FAs after 2006.
http://www.mlb4u.com/0607FA.html

Aside from Pettitte, Mulder, and Zito, it doesn't look that deep to me.

Unless Drew has a completely healthy, extreemly productive year (unlikely IMO), he'd be a fool to void the last three years of his Dodger deal at 11M/year (it is his option to do so if he thinks he can do better on the market).

I like Guillen (he played last year with a shoulder that was as bad as Sheff's in 04), but others here would differ.

Lee mashes and would be a huge fielding upgrade over Giambi, but that would block Duncan, and mean that we would need to play Sheff in RF everyday if we pick up his option. If we sign another RF, then adding Lee would represent little more than a wash with the numbers we would lose by canning Sheff. I have also read that the Cubs might do the smart thing (for a change), and lock up lee before he hits the market.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-lee21.html

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060220cubslee,1,1839852.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

On first blush, I really don't see alot of big name help. Hopefully, we can make sure that our bench is stronger than this year's.

The FA class of the post 2007 offseason is here:
http://www.mlb4u.com/0708FA.html

Why worry about 2007 when you can plan for 2008?:P

DaSwing
02-23-06, 03:58 AM
This is especially good because if I recall correctly the 2006-07 offseason class is supposed to be really deep.

If Lee is available, the Yankees should sign him and trade Duncan. Or, could Duncan learn to play RF? Lee will be 31... durable... known product... assuming another good/great year - you gotta make that play.

What is looks like the NYY will really need is a stud SP or 2, (who doesn't?) and nothing on the list (now) gets you particularly giddy.

Prolly means they could end up with someone or a couple of someones like Mulder/Zito at 4yr/60... 5yr/70 deal. Yay! (I guess)

Could also use the money to snag someone on a big contract. Maybe the Mets will crash in flames and they could ship some prospects to snag Pedro.

If only the commish would just let them buy Santana or Felix, huh? With the money you say they'll have, I bet they could come up with enough $$$ that those organizations would actually make the deal :P

-tz
02-23-06, 08:28 AM
Do I want to know why the NYYs owe Clemens money till 2014?! Wasn't the damn Hummer enough ? :PIf he comes back this year, we can owe him money till 2020! :lol:

Dr. Gonzo
02-23-06, 08:51 AM
I think this 113 number is misleading

it is not counting posada's option which will probably kick in, or sheffs (I see them giving him a new contract for less money, rather then pick up his 13 million option).

Mo's contract is up as well.

NewEraYanks2527
02-23-06, 08:53 AM
Why worry about 2007 when you can plan for 2008?:P
Too bad Halladay and Zambrano will most likely be locked up long before 2008.

Crow216
02-23-06, 09:00 AM
I think this 113 number is misleading

it is not counting posada's option which will probably kick in, or sheffs (I see them giving him a new contract for less money, rather then pick up his 13 million option).

Mo's contract is up as well.

Mo's contract is up after 2007. The numbers are pretty misleading only because half the people who see $113mil imagine we'd have a payroll around $130mil.....Our payroll is going to decrease to about $160 possibly but when you think about the holes we will need to fix....

We all now expect Sheff and Posada will be back.
Moose? We are dropping $19mil and will probably resign him for about $4mil/1year..
13+11+4=$28mil so $113 is already $141mil.....and I believe Giambi's contract kicks in even higher next year to like $20mil.

enterthesandman
02-23-06, 09:00 AM
The old mentality is still strong... forget the 06-07 FAs, by then a ton of our lower prospects will be ready for the majors! Duncan, Hughes, Jackson and Tabata to say the least!

Jasbro
02-23-06, 09:08 AM
What I like about this is that we will be able to slash our payroll commitments without having to take a competitive step back in '06 or send away any top prospects, unlike the Red Sox' this offseason.

gdn
02-23-06, 09:16 AM
Yeah well, no amount of money saved can make up for the amount of talent Alex Gonzalez does not have.:roflmao:

:lol:

Kulish29
02-23-06, 09:46 AM
If Lee is available, the Yankees should sign him and trade Duncan. Or, could Duncan learn to play RF? Lee will be 31... durable... known product... assuming another good/great year - you gotta make that play.

I thought we wanted to trim payroll and get younger? Trading Duncan and signing Lee does neither of those things.

DontHateOnNumber2
02-23-06, 09:57 AM
Yeah well, no amount of money saved can make up for the amount of talent Alex Gonzalez does not have.

:lol: That'd be so not funny if it wasn't true!

Chacon
02-23-06, 10:23 AM
Cashman has said again and again that he is going to trim the payroll and make this team younger and more athletic. So expect to see the farm sytem being put to the test in the next 2-3 years

SoCal Pinstriper
02-23-06, 12:25 PM
Cashman has said again and again that he is going to trim the payroll and make this team younger and more athletic. So expect to see the farm sytem being put to the test in the next 2-3 yearsI think that Cashman has had his eye on the not so great FA classes cited above as he makes these statements. By doing so, he's preparing us for the new way of doing business that includes giving worthy prospects a shot at to success in the Bronx before shipping them elsewhere.

I'm all for it, but I'd be surprised if we didn't make a run at a lefty next year.

keithf1
02-23-06, 04:49 PM
I think Cashman's plan is to MIX youth with veterans. Not live off the farm system OR free agency/trade. There will always be at least 1 big signing a year by the Yanks and I'm happy about that :)

Cashman, are you a Knicks fan?

Johnny O
02-23-06, 08:26 PM

What is looks like the NYY will really need is a stud SP or 2, (who doesn't?) and nothing on the list (now) gets you particularly giddy.

Prolly means they could end up with someone or a couple of someones like Mulder/Zito at 4yr/60... 5yr/70 deal. Yay! (I guess)

Could also use the money to snag someone on a big contract. Maybe the Mets will crash in flames and they could ship some prospects to snag Pedro.

If only the commish would just let them buy Santana or Felix, huh? With the money you say they'll have, I bet they could come up with enough $$$ that those organizations would actually make the deal :P

Definitely would prefer Lee to Duncan, Lee's decline should still be far better than Duncan's peak, financial considerations aside. You don't want Mulder or Zito at those prices - Mulder is just an average pitcher at this point and fading rapidly. I don't trust the more talented Zito, his peripherials have been inconsistent and generally moving south.

flymick24
02-23-06, 09:32 PM
the only names that pique any interest in me are carlos lee and maybe kelvim escobar. i'd sign doug davis if he comes on the cheap... durable lefty innings eater.

27IsNext
02-23-06, 10:37 PM
After 2006, Mussina and Wright are off the books.
After 2007, Sheffield, Posada, and Randy Johnson are off the books. Sadly, so is Mariano Rivera, and Torre retires that year. :(
After 2008, Pavano and Giambi are off the books.
After 2009, Damon and Matsui are off the books.

And after 2010, heavens help us, Jeter and A-Rod are off the books.

JamieMadrox
02-23-06, 11:24 PM
After 2006, Mussina and Wright are off the books.
After 2007, Sheffield, Posada, and Randy Johnson are off the books. Sadly, so is Mariano Rivera, and Torre retires that year. :(
After 2008, Pavano and Giambi are off the books.
After 2009, Damon and Matsui are off the books.

And after 2010, heavens help us, Jeter and A-Rod are off the books.

Jeter and ARod if they keep up performance will probably have extended contracts, same with Mariano. Everybody else, too old and ineffective, good riddens at that point (unless Johnson tears it up the next two years and goes on a year to year basis and Mussina tears it up next year and goes on a year to year basis).

SI Baseballman
02-24-06, 12:17 AM
Cashman has said again and again that he is going to trim the payroll and make this team younger and more athletic. So expect to see the farm sytem being put to the test in the next 2-3 years

Hey, do you think we can get him to be the Knicks GM?

I guess seeing the Mets left side of the infield across town is what will make the Yanks take a second look at prospects.

27IsNext
02-24-06, 08:49 AM
Hey, do you think we can get him to be the Knicks GM?

I guess seeing the Mets left side of the infield across town is what will make the Yanks take a second look at prospects.

Just the third baseman, really. ;)

He's always wanted to do it that way. It's just that up until now, the Tampa mafia held him back.

Kulish29
02-24-06, 09:44 AM
the only names that pique any interest in me are carlos lee and maybe kelvim escobar. i'd sign doug davis if he comes on the cheap... durable lefty innings eater.

I wouldnt mind Jose Guillen for RF.

38Special
02-24-06, 10:35 AM
for 2007 set in stone most likely

C - Posada
1B - Giambi
2B - Cano
3B - A-Rod
SS - Jeter
LF - Matsui
CF - Damon
RF
DH - Sheffield

Bench:
OF -
OF -
IF/1B -
MIF -
C -

SP1 - RJ
SP2 - Wang
SP3 - Pavano
SP4 - Chacon
SP5

MR:
MR
MR:
MR: Myers
SU: Farnsworth
Closer: Rivera

FA - Bernie, Dotel, Cairo, Wright, Villone, Mussina, Stinnett, Sturtze

For each position that needs to be filled

RF
FAs: Jose Guillen, Shannon Stewart
In-House: Melky Cabrera, Kevin Thompson
Outlook: Pretty weak FA showing. There's a good chance Melky or KT steps it up this year and takes that spot in 07

SP-5
FAs: Pettitte, Mulder, Zito, Escobar
In-House: Clippard, Hughes, DeSalvo, White
Outlook: I definitely see them going in-house when you consider the great FA group for the 07 offseason. One of those 4 will step up this year, as I dont see them going anywhere near Mulder or Zito, or revisiting Pettitte.

3 MR
FAs: Ron Villone, Justin Speier, Octavio Dotel, LaTroy Hawkins
In-House: Sean Henn, JB Cox, TJ Beam, Aaron Small
Outlook: I can see Cox and Henn making the team along with Speier.

2 OF
FAs: Frank Catalanotto, Ricky Ledee
In-House: Kevin Thompson, Melky Cabrera, Kevin Reese, Bubba Crosby, Justin Christian
Outlook: I'd like to see Thompson and Catalanotto along with Melky in the starting RF spot, but who knows.

IF/1B
FAs: Nick Johnson, Derrek Lee, Eduardo Perez, Sean Casey
In-House: Eric Duncan, Andy Phillips, John Urick
Outlook: Depends on Andy Phillips' performance, Duncan's 2nd year in AA/AA and Sheffield's option being taken. If Sheff becomes the DH, I see little chance that Lee or NJ are signed, especially if Duncan has a good year and Phillips does fine as a lefty masher/backup in 06

MIF
FAs: Cairo, Reese, other garbage
In-House: Kevin Howard, Gabe Lopez
Outlook: It'll bet between Cairo and Howard

Backup C
FAs: Stinnett, Mirabelli, Pratt, Zaun
In-House: Omir Santos, Ben Davis
Outlook: Who cares.

CalYankeeFan
02-25-06, 08:23 PM
nice analysis