PDA

View Full Version : The Most Dominant Person In Sports History!

CalifYanksFan
06-04-01, 09:48 AM
'Most dominant athlete in the history of sports'
Tiger Woods wins again

Bill Pennington
The New York Times, with files from The Associated Press
DUBLIN, Ohio - Jack Nicklaus settled into his seat, and Tiger Woods sank into the chair next to him. There was time for some chit-chat before a news conference began to mark Woods's third successive victory in Nicklaus's Memorial Tournament.

"How many tournaments have you played this year?" Nicklaus asked.

"Six," Woods answered.

"And you've won five?" Nicklaus asked.

Woods nodded.

"Where did you lose?" Nicklaus asked.

Woods paused and thought. And thought. An uncomfortable, embarrassed smile emerged. But hey, it's tough to remember such trifling details. Finally, Woods said: "The Byron Nelson in Dallas."

So he is not perfect.

But it is getting harder to convince his colleagues of that and the same goes for someone like Nicklaus, whose pre-eminence in the sport was once all but unrivalled. Like a soaring shot from Woods's driver, everyone at the Muirfield Village Golf Club yesterday seemed to be reaching higher in search of ways to distinguish just how good Woods has become.

It was not enough to say that Woods, with a 17-under-par score of 271, had won the Memorial by seven strokes, a record margin of victory for the event. It was not enough to say he became the first player since Tom Watson at the Byron Nelson from 1978 to 1980 to win the same tournament in three consecutive years. Nor was it enough to note that the 25-year-old Woods, in only his sixth year on the PGA Tour, has already won 28 times. And, in two weeks, at the U.S. Open, he will be the runaway favorite to win his fifth straight major tournament.

Paul Azinger, who began the day with a one-shot lead, was paired with Woods and watched as Woods buried him in the first hour of play on his way to a 66. "He's probably the most dominant athlete in the history of sports," Azinger said. "It's incredible. I don't know if the general public appreciates it. They probably do, but if they don't, they should."

Told of Azinger's comments, Nicklaus said: "I don't know about the history of sports, but certainly since I've been playing the sport, I've never found anybody that's dominated anything more. In some comparisons, I come in a very distant second. I don't think anybody has dominated an individual sport anywhere near the level that he has dominated."

Woods, seated nearby, found the conversation somewhat amusing -- a little like trying to remember the last time he lost.

Is he the most dominating athlete in the world?

"I think if someone is going to be considered that," he said, "I think they would have to be a little bit bigger than me. I'm a 6-foot guy chasing a little white ball."

He chases it only because he hits it so far -- and, increasingly, because he hits it so many fewer times than anyone else in most 72-hole tournaments he enters.

He's not only good, he's blessed.

"Right now, it's just a feeling of being very in control," Woods said.
National Post Online (http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/golf/story.html?f=/stories/20010604/581667.html)

Pretty hard to argue with.

Nome
06-04-01, 10:39 AM
Hey,

There is no disputing Tiger's greatness, but when you get to naming the most dominating athlete in the world, you have to consider;

Babe Ruth
Jim Thorpe
Babe Dickerson Zaharius (in the female category)
Maurice Richard
Bob Cousey
Wilt Chamberlain
George Blanda
Pele (Soccer)
Lawrence Taylor
for starters.

Hey Tiger is great and at the top of his game. He is only 25 years old. The others dominated over a much longer period of time. Who is to tell how to compare athletes in different era's. Tiger is great that should be enough. But the most dominating ever in sports? Hmm, I need to think about it for a few more years.

WindRavenX
06-04-01, 05:51 PM
Golf isn't a sport :p
Pick up a bat Tiger! You can still redeem yourself!

CalifYanksFan
06-04-01, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by WindRavenX
Golf isn't a sport :p
Pick up a bat Tiger! You can still redeem yourself!

Let's see some ballplayers do what he does with a golf club. The guy's been in 6 freaking tournaments this year and has won 5 of them. Tiger is no fluke.

Slippery Elm
06-04-01, 07:42 PM
Until Lou Gehrig, there was NO ONE in Baseball REMOTELY close to what Babe Ruth hit - very high average with UNHEARD of power, and that after being a great pitcher.

For there to be something comparable today, Randy Johnson would have to switch to the outfield and start hitting at least a homer every single game.

toots
06-05-01, 09:07 AM
nome - you forgot Michael Jordan. He seems to be the current standard other top athletes are held to, in fact, I've heard people refer to Tiger Woods as the Michael Jordan of golf. When Dale Earnhardt died, the impact on NASCAR was compared to what would have happened if Michael died of a heart attack on the court. Basketball fans are looking for the next Michael Jordan. Tiger is phenomenal, but not quite the most dominant figure in sports history. I'm not quite sure that a golfer can attain that universal homage, although if one could, Tiger would be the one.

bagger015
06-06-01, 01:04 AM
My pick would have to be Babe Ruth. Pitcher, hitter, average and power. And he could play the field too. #1 in my book and not just because i am a yankee fan. Statistics don't lie.:)

Stick Michael
06-06-01, 12:14 PM
I think the debate of "most dominant ever" can easily become a moot point due to its subjectivity but when I think of dominant I think of one center during the 80's that looked like a man playing amongst boys in the NHL - The Great One, number 99, Wayne Gretzky.

James

sanfranciscojetergirl
06-06-01, 01:31 PM
I have to say Dr J, Michael Jordan .,,,

PettittesPrincess
06-07-01, 12:08 AM
Please Tiger Woods? He still has a long while to go. And golf isn't a sport in my opinion, it's a hobby. I think Babe Ruth or Michael Jordan would be the most dominant ever.

Winger03
06-07-01, 07:57 AM
Somewhere, I can't remember where, I read the following.....

"When baseball players have the day off, they play golf to relax. I don't think on a golfer's off day they play baseball to relax."

As good as Woods is, golf just doesn't make the cut. Gotta go with Babe Ruth.

Nome
06-07-01, 08:04 AM
Hey toots,

when you commented that I forgot MJ, you made my point exactly.

There are numerous (well maybe not numerous, maybe several) more athletes who dominated a sport. I will not say that Golf isn't a sport.
I will not say that Tiger isn't a great athlete with tremendous skill.

What I will say that until he performs at this level for three to five more years, I cannot let him have the title of most dominating.

JP, I know, would even put in a pitch for "The Dominator".

lbyankychk
06-19-01, 11:21 PM
I would have to say Babe Ruth and Jordan. Though Gehrig should be recognized, he was forever in a shadow regarding the media behind Ruth and later Dimaggio. I still think Gehrig should be on the top ten list. :D

JeanC
06-22-01, 12:04 PM
Didnt Tiger just loose a Major Golf Tournement the Big One with
the Green Jackets??? The Something Open sorry I lost a word there!

THis is One of the Major Ones He has Always Won in previous Years!

See Not Even Tiger Woods is Perfect winning every game!
But He Is A Great Young Golfer Whose Name Will Be In Golf
History Books someday!!!!

:D

DW Fan
06-22-01, 11:32 PM
Babe :NY:

#1Coneyfan
06-23-01, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by bagger015
My pick would have to be Babe Ruth. Pitcher, hitter, average and power. And he could play the field too. #1 in my book and not just because i am a yankee fan. Statistics don't lie.:)

Ditto here. Another great feat of the Babe's you have to add to the list - keeping a curse going from 1918 (and still counting) :NY:

JeanC
06-23-01, 01:11 PM
Thats right this is the Most Dominat Person in Sports History!

And My Most Dominant Sport is Baseball !!

I know then You would say I would Say the Babe!

Well he made it all possible!

But for My Father It would have had to been Tony Lezzari!
For His Dominance in the Games at that time & because of
his & my Dads common thread of Heritage!!

But for me it would have to be Maris In My Eyes He Made it
So!! He tolerated the Press even though they hurt his getting
better as His Presence in 61 went on! I believe he would have
hit more then just 61! He had to overcome many obstacles the
Press being the Number one & the Fans Fired Up by the Press
being the Number 2 reason! And being soo far away from his
young family that he adored!!!

Yes In My Eyes Roger Maris is My most Dominant Sports
Figure In History!!!

So The Babe is in there somewhere in the Top 10 ! ;)

:D

# 21 Forever
06-23-01, 08:25 PM
I have to go with The Babe too. Although Michael Jordan, Joe D.,Roger Maris, Mickey Mantle, and Lou Gehrig would certainly be up there!

Clemens
06-23-01, 08:36 PM
My choice...Mohammed Ali....

allybear
06-23-01, 08:59 PM
I don't know how you can pick just one, because all the choices named are good ones so far. My argument against Gretzky, Ali, and a few others, as much as I admire them, is that they didn't really change the status of their sport. Both when Ruth joined the Yanks and when Jordan came to the NBA, their respective leagues were suffering an image problem - baseball had the "Black Sox" scandal, and the NBA was considered a bunch of druggies and bad boys - in the 70's the NBA finals weren't even shown in prime time, but on tape delay. Both Ruth and Jordan dominated as players and completely turned around the national perspective on their sport, making baseball the national pasttime from the 20's on and basketball darn near the national pasttime from the 80's on.

I read an excellent article in "Winston Cup Scene" about dominance in the field of stock car racing and the problem of comparing athletes in different eras, I will see if I can find it online and post it (and no, I am not getting into the argument if drivers are or aren't athletes!!!!!)

Eddie160
06-24-01, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Clemens
My choice...Mohammed Ali....
that would be my choice too

IrishDancer
07-02-01, 11:06 PM
For baseball: The Babe or Lou Gehrig
For basketball: Michael Jordan
For golf: Tiger Woods.

(Wait a minute, I didn't know that Cat Man had a great golfing star as a relative!) :D

YanksRockMan
07-03-01, 09:54 AM
I choose Babe Ruth too, he was just too good!

RubixCube
07-07-01, 11:33 AM
Gotta go with THE BABE!

Stick Michael
07-11-01, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by allybear
My argument against Gretzky, Ali, and a few others, as much as I admire them, is that they didn't really change the status of their sport.

I understand what you're getting at, Ally, but hockey probably wouldn't exist on the west coast and in places like Phoenix and Florida if it wasn't for Gretzky. When he was traded to the LA Kings back in '89 he was not only the most dominant player in his sport, he also turned a lukewarm market into a city that genuinely became interested in hockey. His influence became contageous, too, as the NHL's success on the west coast paved the way for expansion teams such as the San Jose Sharks, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning, Atlanta Thrashers and Nashville Predators. One has to look no further than Carolina to see how much he meant to his sport - a team that typically drew around 4000-6000 per home game sold out their building when Gretzky was in town.

Where he ranks all time is debatable but there is no question he transcended his sport.

James

CJM
07-12-01, 12:27 AM
If you're talking about most dominant athlete ever,it has to be Rocky Marciano.Only undefeated champion EVER,in any weight class,who knocked out 88% of his opponents.

BobbyMurcerFan
07-14-01, 09:01 AM
The Babe. Although Marciano was a really good one to bring up.

IrishDancer
07-22-01, 04:06 PM
Da Babe. :cool:

Slippery Elm
07-22-01, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by CJM
If you're talking about most dominant athlete ever,it has to be Rocky Marciano.Only undefeated champion EVER,in any weight class,who knocked out 88% of his opponents.

Most of whom were not first rate, or were over-the-hill ex-champs. But Marciano was great - not THAT great, though.

Mantlemania
07-22-01, 07:31 PM
First Patrick now Horace Grant who use to be ans Laker that won back to back champion and he want to be a magic beccause it it's closer to his home. I understand that he wnat to be closer to home and he proberly has a chance of winning another championship.:finger1:

Go Yank and Roger Clemen is looking for 14 victory :smokin: opp wrong thing sorry

Red Bus
07-23-01, 06:23 AM
As someone who has not been around Baseball that long (4 Years) I cant subjectivly comment on the greatest player ever. True Babe was probrably the best all round player of his era. But as sports science continues to improve, both in the care of injuries and conditioning, Would The Bambino, Joe D, Mickey or any of the other greats still be able to perform to the standard's they set in the modern game?

You can never take there acchivements away or the good they have done for this wonderfull sport that we all love and they should always be worshiped for this and the way they conducted themselves ( and knowing a little of how much Babe could party makes him a personal hero).

You could probrably find greats, in all sports, that have acchieved the status of legend and this can never be taken from them or our memories. But we live in a progressive society so whilst we must cherish our past heroes we should always remember that people like Jeter, O'Niell, and Rocket will surley be spoken of in the same breath as the other greats when there careers eventually end.

deppgirl66
07-23-01, 06:55 AM
That`s exactly what I was thinking when I saw the title of this post.

Babe Ruth
Michael Jordan

without a doubt those 2....

MoRivera71
07-24-01, 11:59 AM
Air Jordan!!!!

CJM
07-26-01, 07:15 PM
I believe the title of the thread was most dominant athlete,not greatest athlete.

The Yankees of the present play against way watered down competition,does that make their run any less spectacular?

I didn't say Marciano was the greatest athlete of all time,or even the best boxer.He was not.

But if the criteria is dominance,then Marciano is it.

MAFIA
07-28-01, 04:02 PM
2 players from the top of my head, BABE RUTH AND BILL RUSSELL.

amypuss
07-30-01, 01:52 PM
Someone probably already said this, but you forgot Dale. I had to explain to my friends that he's the Jordan of car racing:lol:

BobbyMurcerFan
08-04-01, 04:16 PM
For today, it has to be Tiger, Shaq or Lance Armstrong.

toots
08-06-01, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by amypuss
Someone probably already said this, but you forgot Dale. I had to explain to my friends that he's the Jordan of car racing:lol:

Thank you amypuss, you just proved my point. Michael Jordan is used as the measuring stick and the example of other people who are dominant in other sports. We used to say so and so is the Babe Ruth of (insert name of sport in here) now it's he (or she) is the Michael Jordan of. He's become synonymous with greatness and athletic acheivement. Even his ads are part of our collective culture. How many times have you personally used or heard the term "air" as a descriptive. There's a picture of "air" Jeter on this board, one of my cats is "air" Toby and I have never seen a full basketball game outside of the olympics.

Jersey Yankee
08-14-01, 06:19 AM
I love MJ and his moves, his hunger to win, but I'll still take Bill Russell over him any day. Since I saw the quote from Randy Johnson (I think I remember he'd made this on Nightline with Ted Koppel when the two were to face each other), I figured if Russell can beat Wilt the Stilt, acknowledged to be the superior center and one of the greatest ever, I'd say he knows how to win.

I also heard that MJ took after Dr. J as far as his fluidity in his moves, so he deserves credit too.

NASCAR, I'd take King Richard (Petty) #43. About 4 or more generations of winning there. I've heard great stuff about The Intimidator #3 but King Richard had 200 W's so no arguing that point.

Boxing, I'd take Sugar Ray Robinson or The Brown Bomber. Ali was my favorite to watch, and boy did he glide his 225 lb frame around that ring on air.

If we took this to the gridiron, I loved watching LT do battle. I heard that Johnny Unitas was one of the greatest ever but he was a little before my time (didn't watch football then).

Should we mention Jesse Owens? Martina Navratilova? Bruce Jenner? I also like Katherine DeWitt (spl?), the German ice skater. Of course, this could be just another guy thing popping up. :lol: