PDA

View Full Version : New Yankee Stadium plan passes NYC Planning Commission

Jersey Yankee
02-22-06, 01:36 PM
Plan For New Yankee Stadium Clears Major Hurdle (http://ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=57280)

Plans to build a new Yankee stadium right across from the House that Ruth Built cleared a major hurdle Wednesday.

The City Planning Commission voted in favor of the plan at a hearing.

Last month, there were some fireworks when a shouting match broke out between opponents and supporters of the plan before the meeting even started.

Opponents fear a new stadium will take away coveted parkland and bring too much traffic into the neighborhood. Supporters say the parkland will be replaced and the project will bring much-needed jobs and businesses to the area.

Why Not?
02-22-06, 01:40 PM
I don't understand their traffic concerns. It isn't like there's not a stadium RIGHT THERE already. Would traffic for the new park be that much different than traffic for the current stadium?

Mr. Mxylsplk
02-22-06, 01:52 PM
I don't understand their traffic concerns. It isn't like there's not a stadium RIGHT THERE already. Would traffic for the new park be that much different than traffic for the current stadium?
They're adding 5,000 parking spots, which could be a considerable amount more traffic.

Bub
02-22-06, 01:59 PM
Is there a Metro North station?

Mr. Mxylsplk
02-22-06, 02:05 PM
Nope. One's been promised for 25 years. Probably not worth holding one's breath.

Why Not?
02-22-06, 02:35 PM
They're adding 5,000 parking spots, which could be a considerable amount more traffic.

Yeah, I guess that would do it. Didn't know about the additional parking.

Do most folks drive to Yanks games or does almost everyone take the subway? Some city ballparks, it's just about impossible to drive (Wrigley, Fenway). How's Yankee Stadium in that respect?

Evil Empire
02-22-06, 02:54 PM
Is there going to be a dome? ;) :D

Bub
02-22-06, 03:27 PM
Nope. One's been promised for 25 years. Probably not worth holding one's breath.What the fluck? There's supposed to be one! :mad:

Mr. Mxylsplk
02-22-06, 03:34 PM
What the fluck? There's supposed to be one! :mad:
I might not have accurately answered your question. Yes, there is supposed to be one. This hearing though had nothing to do with that, and based on past history I'm skeptical that even building a brand new stadium will get Metro North done. But yes, it is still in the plans.

Mr. Mxylsplk
02-22-06, 03:39 PM
Do most folks drive to Yanks games or does almost everyone take the subway? Some city ballparks, it's just about impossible to drive (Wrigley, Fenway). Who's Yankee Stadium in that respect?
Obviously many fewer drive than to the average park around the country, but there is more parking than those two places. I saw somewhere on the web that there are about 7,500 paid spots at the Stadium (which makes 5,000 more a really big increase). I take the subway, so I have no idea how close to full all those spots get, but there are definitely a fair number of cars there. But let's say there are 5,000 cars on a typical night and 2 people per car, that'd only be 10,000 people out of an average crowd of 50,000, so it's a small portion of the total crowd.

Jersey Yankee
02-22-06, 05:54 PM
Is there going to be a dome? ;) :D
Who luvs ya, baby?

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:1U_9QeZghgpLZM:www.totalmedia.com/images/kojak.jpg

Jersey Yankee
02-22-06, 06:05 PM
They've got a few stops in the Bronx, but not a YS stop yet.

These are the Bronx stops listed:

Melrose, Tremont, Fordham, Botanical Garden, Williams Bridge, Woodlawn. Is Melrose (http://as0.mta.info/mnr/stations/station_detail.cfm?key=104) near YS? It's listed at Park Ave & 162nd St.

http://mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

http://mta.info/mnr/gifs/mnrmap.gif

Bub
02-22-06, 06:52 PM
The map is existing stops, right Brad? If we want to train in from Albany, we have to go to Poughkeepsie, take Metro North to Grand Central, then subway to Bronx.....OR, Albany to Penn Station, then subway all the way back to the Bronx. That sucks. Metro North runs right by the stadium but they would never build the stinkin' stop. I don't like driving all the way into the city, so I'm counting on driving to Poughkeepsie then taking Metro North to the Stadium once it's completed. I'll remind George not to mess this up when I'm in Tampa.

Jersey Yankee
02-22-06, 07:37 PM
The map is existing stops, right Brad? If we want to train in from Albany, we have to go to Poughkeepsie, take Metro North to Grand Central, then subway to Bronx.....OR, Albany to Penn Station, then subway all the way back to the Bronx. That sucks. Metro North runs right by the stadium but they would never build the stinkin' stop. I don't like driving all the way into the city, so I'm counting on driving to Poughkeepsie then taking Metro North to the Stadium once it's completed. I'll remind George not to mess this up when I'm in Tampa.
I got the map today. There's a link directly above it. Go to "mta.info" and you can find all the details.

Now then, is Melrose in da Bronx anywhere near YS? It's listed as Park Ave & 162nd St, whereas YS-II is River Ave & 161st St. Is that within walking distance?

George is set to put up $800m for this.

hellonewman
02-22-06, 07:56 PM
I don't have a link, but my understanding has been that the Metro-North station was being held up by uncertaintly over where a new stadium would be located. That is, the MTA didn't want to build a station only to have the Yankees end up in Manhattan or New Jersey or wherever. If this stadium deal goes through, that would appear to address the problem, although you never know. It seems impossible to get a treehouse built in New York these days.

tiyuri
02-22-06, 08:19 PM
Melrose is a little more than a half mile away from the current YS, ~8 blocks. I have no idea about the area though - if it is some place you want to be walking. Besides, Melrose is not on the same Metro North line as Poughkeepsie.

I would not hold my breathe about getting a Metro North stop, the MTA is always crying poor and spending money on a station that would only be really used less than 100 times a year does not make too much sense.

BBombers85
02-22-06, 08:27 PM
Along with a Metro-North stop there needs to be an Long Island Rail Road stop. I have to take a bus to a queens train station (30 mins) then take a train to 34th street (30 mins) and then take the B or D uptown to 161st (roughly 20 mins). It takes me close to 90 minutes to get there. Bronx is the most unaccessible bourough outside of the obvious Staten Island. Transportation improvements are a must if the new stadium is a definite!

Jersey Yankee
02-22-06, 08:34 PM
Along with a Metro-North stop there needs to be an Long Island Rail Road stop. I have to take a bus to a queens train station (30 mins) then take a train to 34th street (30 mins) and then take the B or D uptown to 161st (roughly 20 mins). It takes me close to 90 minutes to get there. Bronx is the most unaccessible bourough outside of the obvious Staten Island. Transportation improvements are a must if the new stadium is a definite!
Dude, no way you're getting some LIRR train to go to Yankee Stadium, especially since Shea's much closer.

It takes me about 75 minutes to get there from Jersey.

tiyuri
02-22-06, 08:36 PM
You'll never get that. The Metro North tracks run right by the Stadium site so adding a station is relatively easy. Adding access for LIRR would be very difficult and likely cost more than the entire new Stadium project.

yankeebot
02-22-06, 08:56 PM
The map is existing stops, right Brad? If we want to train in from Albany, we have to go to Poughkeepsie, take Metro North to Grand Central, then subway to Bronx.....OR, Albany to Penn Station, then subway all the way back to the Bronx. That sucks. Metro North runs right by the stadium but they would never build the stinkin' stop. I don't like driving all the way into the city, so I'm counting on driving to Poughkeepsie then taking Metro North to the Stadium once it's completed. I'll remind George not to mess this up when I'm in Tampa.You do not have to go to Grand Central. Take the 4 train from 125th St.

BBombers85
02-22-06, 09:03 PM
Yes I suppose the LIRR is wishful thinking. Its funny I live like a 15 min LIRR ride from Shea, yet that atrocious team never interested me. However, maybe as a long term project the LIRR may expand. They are expanding soon into downtown Manhattan in order to alleviate congestion into Penn and creater better transport for Wall St. employees. It may seem ludcris now, but I wouldnt be suprised to see LIRR in the Bronx maybe 10-15 years into the future. I think its great for the long term development, or maybe its me wanting a little more convenience. In anycase, for the person who was wondering if that 8 block walk would be safe. I highly doubt it. The area around the stadium, esp on non-game days is very very questionable and shady. Take care guys! Best!

webassign
02-22-06, 09:06 PM
A LIRR is obviously impossible since you'd have to build a whole line going to the Bronx. And if you think about it, it wouldn't really be a Long Island Railroad would it? Anyway, Railroad means that it has to run above ground for the most part, so there's no way it could happen in Manhattan, and there's no way it could share the lines with the subway.

And I really wish there was a more efficient way to get to the Bronx from Long Island. To save money, I take the bus to Flushing and then take the 7 and then transfer to the 4 when I go to Yankee Stadium, and then take the 4, 7, and LIRR at Flushing to get home relatively quickly. Going back and forth takes roughly 3-4 hours which is a damn long time.

tiyuri
02-22-06, 09:10 PM
I'm sure it's not safe but I was looking at it purely as an academic exercize. Looking at the train schedules it would not be reasonable as there are only trains every 2 hours from Melrose.

LI to lower Manhattan makes sense but I just don't see the need for trains from LI to the Bronx, especially with the spectacular costs that would be involved.

BBombers85
02-22-06, 09:25 PM
Well the LIRR does go into Brooklyn, so the argument that it would be called LIRR if it went to bronx is not true. Also, I believe the Wall St. Project is a definite. It does not have to run above ground, it can just be an extension of the brooklyn branch with one stop in the city where it ends at Wall St. Sorry if I sounded rude, I did not mean to. Take care

hellonewman
02-22-06, 09:38 PM
Well the LIRR does go into Brooklyn, so the argument that it would be called LIRR if it went to bronx is not true.Brooklyn is part of the Long Island land mass, however. The Battle of Long Island in the Revolutionary War was fought in what's now Brooklyn. To get to the Bronx, you've got to cross a river (tidal estuary, actually).

Jersey Yankee
02-23-06, 03:01 AM
Am I the only one who's crossing both fingers and all of his toes to hope that this whole thing never goes through?

Then there's my open wonderment as to how in heck Big Stein is going to afford the $800 mil to pay for all this.

I seriously hope that the City County doesn't allow this.

Mr. Mxylsplk
02-23-06, 11:29 AM
It may seem ludcris now, but I wouldnt be suprised to see LIRR in the Bronx maybe 10-15 years into the future. I think its great for the long term development, or maybe its me wanting a little more convenience.
It's you wanting convenience. Metro North and LIRR exist to bring people from the suburbs where they live to the city where they work. There is very little use for heavy public transportation that doesn't feed an urban center, Yankee games notwithstanding.

BrooklynBotz
02-23-06, 11:43 AM
Am I the only one who's crossing both fingers and all of his toes to hope that this whole thing never goes through?

Then there's my open wonderment as to how in heck Big Stein is going to afford the $800 mil to pay for all this.

I seriously hope that the City County doesn't allow this.

I'm kinda torn on the whole issue. I love the stadium as it is now but I understand the need for some improvements and the fact that it's not going to last for eternity. The thing I don't like about the new stadium is that it's going to have a lesser capacity and it's hard enough as it is now to get decent tickets to a game. I fear that once this new stadium is built it's going to turn into a situation similar to the Jets or Giants where you need season tickets to even see a game.

Jersey Yankee
02-23-06, 11:52 AM
I'm kinda torn on the whole issue. I love the stadium as it is now but I understand the need for some improvements and the fact that it's not going to last for eternity. The thing I don't like about the new stadium is that it's going to have a lesser capacity and it's hard enough as it is now to get decent tickets to a game. I fear that once this new stadium is built it's going to turn into a situation similar to the Jets or Giants where you need season tickets to even see a game.
To me, once you move from the original stadium, then you're no longer playing in Yankee Stadium. The soil, the Earth, the ground, is where JoeD, Mickey, Gehrig, Ruth, Combs and countless others have roamed before. That to me is more sacred than any statue in Monument Park. Once you turn that into a parking lot, do you still have Yankee Stadium?

The House that George Built? Wouldn't have the same ring.

Jersey Yankee
02-23-06, 11:54 AM
It's you wanting convenience. Metro North and LIRR exist to bring people from the suburbs where they live to the city where they work. There is very little use for heavy public transportation that doesn't feed an urban center, Yankee games notwithstanding.
That, plus it can also connect school kids to where they live to where they're going to school. Basically, it'll get you from "Point A to Point B". When you ask a LI commuter rail to take you to the Bronx, then that's more than the intended purpose.

That it takes you to Midtown Manhattan should be enough. From there, hop on a train like every other Noo Yawka!!! :D

RhodyYanksFan
02-23-06, 12:02 PM
Lets hope this stadium doesn't get held up in city council like the Jets one did (although I'm glad that one was shot down).

Snap731
02-23-06, 12:08 PM
That, plus it can also connect school kids to where they live to where they're going to school. Basically, it'll get you from "Point A to Point B". When you ask a LI commuter rail to take you to the Bronx, then that's more than the intended purpose.

That it takes you to Midtown Manhattan should be enough. From there, hop on a train like every other Noo Yawka!!! :D

Take LIRR to Penn Sta, walk 1 block east (to Macy's) and take the D from Herald Sq. to the Stadium. The trip from 34th to 161st won't take you more than 20 mins.

And yes, putting an MNR station at the Stadium is an idea whose time has come when you consider that the trains already roll right by there. Just put a couple of slabs of concrete down beside the tracks and post a bunch of signs explaining how to walk to the Stadium and we're fine.

The other MNR option is you can take any MNR line to 125th and walk a block or two east to the #4 which will shoot you right up to the Stadium.

Jersey Yankee
02-23-06, 12:21 PM
Take LIRR to Penn Sta, walk 1 block east (to Macy's) and take the D from Herald Sq. to the Stadium. The trip from 34th to 161st won't take you more than 20 mins.

And yes, putting an MNR station at the Stadium is an idea whose time has come when you consider that the trains already roll right by there. Just put a couple of slabs of concrete down beside the tracks and post a bunch of signs explaining how to walk to the Stadium and we're fine.

The other MNR option is you can take any MNR line to 125th and walk a block or two east to the #4 which will shoot you right up to the Stadium.
From a strict municipal/community viewpoint, how often would this station, if built, even be used? I presume it would be for both directions, rather than just coming from upstate NY/CT. I mean, if you wanted to get from Grand Central to Yankee Stadium, then you could always take the #4 train. There's the possibility that the Yankee Stadium stop could only be for upstate NY/CT in the Grand Central direction, and be skipped from Grand Central to the other areas.

If the stadium only has minimal use, then it could be bypassed altogether on days when the Yanks aren't playing.

Just a few ideas I figured may be used eventually. What do you think of them?

As to the Herald Square area of the LIRR, you've got tons of trains. In fact, that's where the PATH train is. That and the Port Authority Bus Terminal is how many Yankee fans get to YS-II via Manhattan on gameday.

It'd be far cheaper for them as individuals to transfer trains than to build a train to go that far just for limited use. Unlike MNR, there's no existing track in use that goes up that far, so no millions of buckeroos to invest.

Mr. Mxylsplk
02-23-06, 12:21 PM

That's exactly right. It can be a completely no-frills station that only needs to be used a few times a day for the 81 home games plus playoffs. There's really no reason not to do it, especially since they promised it almost a generation ago.

Mark19
02-23-06, 12:23 PM
I don't want to re-open a whole mess of discussion again, but I think I could tolerate a season in Shea after the Mets move into their new stadium. Then the Yanks could give YS a complete face-lift for a much lower price.

Maynerd
02-23-06, 12:33 PM
To me, once you move from the original stadium, then you're no longer playing in Yankee Stadium. The soil, the Earth, the ground, is where JoeD, Mickey, Gehrig, Ruth, Combs and countless others have roamed before. That to me is more sacred than any statue in Monument Park. Once you turn that into a parking lot, do you still have Yankee Stadium?

I agree. I've been to at least 40-50 games in the Stadium (not bad for a guy who lives in Colorado). Every single time I walk through the portal to where you can see the field, it takes my breath away. I'm too young to remember Babe and Lou and Joe, but that's the field where I saw Mickey play. And where I saw Reggie hit post-season HRs. And Mattingly. And Jeter. And it's where I've heard Bob Sheppard announce the lineups.

A new, shiny stadium full of luxury boxes and crummy sight lines for the upper deck just won't be the same. I've seen games in a bunch of other stadiums. Nothing comes close. I'll cry real tears when the last game is played in the current park.

Jersey Yankee
02-23-06, 12:36 PM
I don't want to re-open a whole mess of discussion again, but I think I could tolerate a season in Shea after the Mets move into their new stadium. Then the Yanks could give YS a complete face-lift for a much lower price.
If that's the price to pay for a stadium more resembling that which JoeD, Gehrig, Yogi, Scooter et al played in, I'd be all for it. You've gotta give in order to get.

To heck w/endless amounts of crummy lux boxes and parking for a gazillion. Bring back baseball like I love it!!! :gulp::O

Jersey Yankee
02-23-06, 12:38 PM
I agree. I've been to at least 40-50 games in the Stadium (not bad for a guy who lives in Colorado). Every single time I walk through the portal to where you can see the field, it takes my breath away. I'm too young to remember Babe and Lou and Joe, but that's the field where I saw Mickey play. And where I saw Reggie hit post-season HRs. And Mattingly. And Jeter. And it's where I've heard Bob Sheppard announce the lineups.

A new, shiny stadium full of luxury boxes and crummy sight lines for the upper deck just won't be the same. I've seen games in a bunch of other stadiums. Nothing comes close. I'll cry real tears when the last game is played in the current park.
It'll only be the end of an era if/when YS is torn down and moved. Just raise it, blow it up, then rebuild right there in the same spot. Make it look lots like the original one, and if you can add whatever lux boxes and parking, fine. Just don't take away any of the feel, and most of all, don't relocate it just north from its current locale, as are the current plans.

Snap731
02-23-06, 12:39 PM
From a strict municipal/community viewpoint, how often would this station, if built, even be used? I presume it would be for both directions, rather than just coming from upstate NY/CT. I mean, if you wanted to get from Grand Central to Yankee Stadium, then you could always take the #4 train. There's the possibility that the Yankee Stadium stop could only be for upstate NY/CT in the Grand Central direction, and be skipped from Grand Central to the other areas.

If the stadium only has minimal use, then it could be bypassed altogether on days when the Yanks aren't playing.

Just a few ideas I figured may be used eventually. What do you think of them?

As to the Herald Square area of the LIRR, you've got tons of trains. In fact, that's where the PATH train is. That and the Port Authority Bus Terminal is how many Yankee fans get to YS-II via Manhattan on gameday.

It'd be far cheaper for them as individuals to transfer trains than to build a train to go that far just for limited use. Unlike MNR, there's no existing track in use that goes up that far, so no millions of buckeroos to invest.

The new Yankee Stadium is, in theory, part of a grand re-vitalization of the South Bronx, or as my Borough President prefers to call it, the "Downtown Bronx". They're supposed to be building a hotel and developing new business up and down the Concourse and making it a happening place to be.

I know this sounds WACK to many people.

But IF that's the case, then maybe, just maybe, there will be conventions and street fairs and other stuff that will draw W'chester and CT people to the South Bronx for things other than the Yankees.

So in theory, that New Yankee Stadium/Downtown Bronx stop would serve a number of purposes.

Mr. Mxylsplk
02-23-06, 12:42 PM
While that might be preferable, it would be more expensive, not less. Overhauling existing structures is a lot harder than building new ones. It also wouldn't serve the real purpose, which is to add many more luxury boxes. The current Stadium simply can't accomodate that. Obviously they could simply tear down the existing stadium and build a completely new one right there, but they don't seem interested in playing at Shea again.

JPo
02-23-06, 12:53 PM
That's exactly right. It can be a completely no-frills station that only needs to be used a few times a day for the 81 home games plus playoffs. There's really no reason not to do it, especially since they promised it almost a generation ago.

Interestingly enough, they had a temporary Metro North station at the stadium during the transit strike.

Mr. Mxylsplk
02-23-06, 01:18 PM
Interestingly enough, they had a temporary Metro North station at the stadium during the transit strike.
Wow, I didn't know that. If they have already have the infrastructure to stop there on a temporary basis, there really is no excuse for not using it as a stop during games.

tiyuri
02-23-06, 01:29 PM
I don't see the problem with the stop only being used for game days. After all, there is a Shea Stadium stop on LIRR which is also only used during Mets games and the US Open.

I really don't understand the attachment to the current YS. It's not the same Stadium where Ruth et al played. The dimensions are totally different - people sit where Mantle ran down balls. It's certainly not the same grass or dirt, iirc they even realigned home plate after the reconstruction in 1976. It's not like Fenway or Wrigley where little has changed.

webassign
02-23-06, 05:16 PM
Well the LIRR does go into Brooklyn, so the argument that it would be called LIRR if it went to bronx is not true. Also, I believe the Wall St. Project is a definite. It does not have to run above ground, it can just be an extension of the brooklyn branch with one stop in the city where it ends at Wall St. Sorry if I sounded rude, I did not mean to. Take care
What I meant is that the LIRR is supposed to serve Long Island. Making a line from Manhattan to the Bronx kind of defeats that purpose doesn't it? It has nothing to do with the line going into Manhattan or Brookyln, but the line does have to eventually end up in Long Island.

hellonewman
02-23-06, 06:05 PM
I don't want to re-open a whole mess of discussion again, but I think I could tolerate a season in Shea after the Mets move into their new stadium.I think I recall hearing that Steinbrenner is still chapped, 30 years later, about what he considered poor treatment during the 1974-75 stay at Shea. I don't think he wants any part of Shea Stadium.

Lets hope this stadium doesn't get held up in city council like the Jets one did (although I'm glad that one was shot down).Two key differences:
1) There are no neighborhood groups in the South Bronx with anything close to the political clout wielded by the West Siders.
2) Cablevision has no properties in the immediate area to protect a la Madison Square Garden, hence they won't likely throw their considerable corporate muscle into trying to sink this as they did with the West Side stadium proposal.

I'm sure there are some complications/variables in the Yankee Stadium situation that I'm not thinking of there always is when you're trying to build something in NYC but the 2 situations are not really similar.

Jersey Yankee
02-23-06, 06:58 PM
The new Yankee Stadium is, in theory, part of a grand re-vitalization of the South Bronx, or as my Borough President prefers to call it, the "Downtown Bronx". They're supposed to be building a hotel and developing new business up and down the Concourse and making it a happening place to be.

I know this sounds WACK to many people.

But IF that's the case, then maybe, just maybe, there will be conventions and street fairs and other stuff that will draw W'chester and CT people to the South Bronx for things other than the Yankees.

So in theory, that New Yankee Stadium/Downtown Bronx stop would serve a number of purposes.
I heard some of this mentioned on WCBS880. I'm not too sure what exactly will come of it, but if the area is somehow reviatlized, and not just the few blocks where YS-II is, then perhaps the MNR station could be feasible with the future YS-III possibly being its centerpiece.

That said, I say still don't move it. Rebuild on the same soil. Those worms hold great secrets down there.

DandyAndy46
02-23-06, 07:03 PM

Problem is the 70's renovation pretty much demolished the old stadium with the exception of the exterior of the stadium. I understand your point that a lot of history and great baseball happened in the stadium but for the most part you can't go out into CF and say that's where JoeD played because it's been reconfigured and remodeled to such an extent. I agree that it will be sad to see the old stadium go by the wayside but the truth is as long as the Yankees continue winning in the new stadium then "mystique" and "aura" will surely follow to the new stadium.

BRNXBMRS
02-24-06, 01:08 PM
If they were still playing in the original stadium today. I would be 100% against the new stadium, but since that isnt the same one that Murders row, Joe D, Mickey played in I am really no that torn up about it. The thing I like about the new one is the facade will be back up over the upper deck and the best of all is there is no dome.

Jersey Yankee
02-25-06, 01:16 PM
Problem is the 70's renovation pretty much demolished the old stadium with the exception of the exterior of the stadium. I understand your point that a lot of history and great baseball happened in the stadium but for the most part you can't go out into CF and say that's where JoeD played because it's been reconfigured and remodeled to such an extent. I agree that it will be sad to see the old stadium go by the wayside but the truth is as long as the Yankees continue winning in the new stadium then "mystique" and "aura" will surely follow to the new stadium.

If they were still playing in the original stadium today. I would be 100% against the new stadium, but since that isnt the same one that Murders row, Joe D, Mickey played in I am really no that torn up about it. The thing I like about the new one is the facade will be back up over the upper deck and the best of all is there is no dome.
In that case, bring back the facade, make Death Valley 485' again ... and leave it right where it's at.

Nothing to me could be better.

HouseThatRingsBuild
02-25-06, 02:56 PM
I can't wait until the new stadium opens

Dr. Gonzo
02-25-06, 03:36 PM
I have heard nothing of a wall street project, the only definite thing is the LIRR to Grand Central and the new Penn Station in the old Post Office Building.

rpbri2886
02-27-06, 11:48 AM

:D:D I don't think that is too likely to happen. Just look at it logically, the LIRR currently ends at Penn Station; I highly doubt it is worth the cost to extend it another 10 miles for 81 baseball games.

I think there is just as good of a chance that the will extend the Boston Red Line down to YS. At least that would make my 520 mile round trip from Cape Cod to YS a little easier. :D

BBombers85
02-27-06, 01:40 PM
wow..its like deja vu all over again with that post

PeteRFNY
02-27-06, 02:10 PM
I was never a big fan of GPS coordinates, so I am looking forward very much to the new Stadium.

Much like everything else, the magic moves with the team, not vice-versa.