PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Brown hangs em up

yanksphan
02-19-06, 12:43 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/sports/baseball/19chass.html?_r=1&oref=login

Bad Back Stops Brown

Kevin Brown (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/kevin_brown/index.html?inline=nyt-per) pitched in successive World Series in 1997 with Florida and in 1998 with San Diego then signed a seven-year, $105 million contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/baseball/majorleague/losangelesdodgers/index.html?inline=nyt-org). Baseball life would never be the same.

The contract completed, Brown, who will turn 41 next month, has concluded that life. His career is over.

"Kevin didn't have me pursue any teams because he wanted to see how his health was," his agent, Scott Boras, said. "He decided after the painful process last year he was not going to play. His arm is still remarkably good, but it's about his back. He had to endure a lot to throw last year."

Brown's back strains limited him to 13 starts with the Yankees (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/baseball/majorleague/newyorkyankees/index.html?inline=nyt-org) last season, sent him to the disabled list three times and ended his season July 23. He finished his career with a 211-144 record.

I was as disappointed as any of you in the wall incident and some of his starts, but overall, this was one of the great pitchers of this generation. I always admired his tenacity, especially the times he came off the DL early when the Yanks were in a pinch.

Let the bashing begin.....

yankeebot
02-19-06, 01:09 PM
19 years, 211-144 with a lifetime 3.28 ERA. Kevin Brown can be proud of his major league career. I wish things could have worked out better with the Yankees and he could have gone out on top. I hope he has a great rest-of-his-life.

gdn
02-19-06, 01:22 PM
It was the right thing to do. Good luck with the rest of your life, Mr. Brown.

BombersBlvd
02-19-06, 02:08 PM
It was the right thing to do. Good luck with the rest of your life, Mr. Brown.

Great pitcher, incredible career. Nevertheless, good riddance.

JDPNYY
02-19-06, 02:11 PM
The guy was a great pitcher anf a fierce competitor.

I'm sorry things didn't work out better for him in a Yankee Uniform.

Have a great retirement KB.

BillBuckner
02-19-06, 02:21 PM
The guy was a huge dissapointment for us. On a personal level I will always hold a biased grudge against him for that, with Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS being the highlight. But with that said, the guy has had one hell of a career. I'll never forget how tough he was with San Diego in 1998, another permenant personal impression to me. He was a great player for a long time, and I hope he enjoys his retirement.

CalYankeeFan
02-19-06, 02:22 PM
He had am excellent career...as much of a PITA he was with the Yankees, I wish they were able to get him earlier in his career. Good Luck Kevin.

csc5782
02-19-06, 02:44 PM
Game 6

Good Bye

MisterNovember
02-19-06, 02:48 PM
This guy should never have been a Yankee. To say he was a disappointment is a massive understatement.

That being said, he was a pretty amazing pitcher in his day, and he has a career that he can be proud of. Happy retirement Kevin.

texasyankee
02-19-06, 02:54 PM
Ditto to what MisterNovember said.

EDIT: We went & saw the Yankees when they visited Arlington last season.
I was so disappointed to hear that Brown was pitching that evening - somehow our hitting overpowered Brown's problems, however & we scratched out a victory. I think the final score was 11-10.

Sam18
02-19-06, 02:57 PM
Bye Bye.

JJazz
02-19-06, 03:00 PM
Good career, good luck, good riddance.

bobbymagee
02-19-06, 03:04 PM
For all of the posts before me, I am happy to see the optimism and fair and balanced viewpoint. Kevin Brown had a great career. He did the best with the health of his body. We can all agree that he was a winner and never a quiter. Happy trails Mr. Brown.

drjeckyl
02-19-06, 03:05 PM
Best wishes and good health KB. Too bad your time as a Yankee could not have been better.

JeffWeaverFan
02-19-06, 03:11 PM
No surprise here. He had a horrible end to an excellent career.

NelsonMuntz
02-19-06, 03:19 PM
Why would anyone bash him for this? He's making the right decision. My only quarrel with Brown is that he came back for the 2005 season when it was obvious that he was too injured to pitch after the 2004 season.

SoCal Pinstriper
02-19-06, 03:25 PM
Kevin Brown had a great career. When healthy, he was one of the most dominant pitchers of his era. Auf Wiedersehen, Kevin.

Seth
02-19-06, 03:28 PM
It's too bad that he didn't do better with the Yankees. That being said, he had a very good career overall. Good luck with your retirement, Kevin.

dabomb2045
02-19-06, 03:29 PM
Very good career....unfortunately, us Yankees fans will remember him for sh*tting the bed here in NY. I will never get his Game 7 performance against Boston out of my head.

obsessedyankeefan
02-19-06, 04:28 PM
Kevin Brown had a great career. It's just a shame that none of it was with us and it ended the way it did. I wish him the best of luck in his retirement.

CaptainThurman
02-19-06, 04:28 PM
As a Yankee, he was a horrendous mistake, he was woefully overpaid, and he had the personality of sandpaper. Go away, Kevin, go very far away....

gdn
02-19-06, 05:04 PM
Great pitcher, incredible career. Nevertheless, good riddance.I'm not bitter at all. Sometimes these things work out, sometimes they don't. :)

BroadwayBomber55
02-19-06, 05:16 PM
A good career for Kevin Brown. He should've signed that $100 million deal though.

Enjoy retirement, KB.

Casey37
02-19-06, 05:18 PM
Kevin Brown has always been one of my favorite pitchers, and I wish him well on his retirement. If there's one thing I've tried to block out of my mind is his stint with the Yankees. Not very pleasant memories there.

AMYanks
02-19-06, 05:23 PM
Back injuries are the worst. Looking at the career he had, with the way his career went downhill after signing that big contract, he definitely was a tremendous pitcher. It's too bad he never was able to succeed as a Yankee, but like I said, back injuries are the worst.

SuperMario66
02-19-06, 05:29 PM
Bye...

Kudo
02-19-06, 05:52 PM
His sinker was described as like trying to hit a bowling ball, really one of the most devastating pitches I have ever seen. He had a great career, I was really excited when we got him but I guess all those years of having such a violent throwing motion finally did the trick. I loved his competitiveness, it was his greatest strength and in some instances his greatest weakness. Hope he can stay healthy in retirement.

yanksphan
02-19-06, 06:37 PM
Why would anyone bash him for this? He's making the right decision. My only quarrel with Brown is that he came back for the 2005 season when it was obvious that he was too injured to pitch after the 2004 season.

There are those who refuse to recognize his career as a whole, only remembering his time as a Yankee (such as the "game 6" comment early in the thread - although it was actually game 7).

That's what I meant....I have to say, I thought the response here would be much harsher.

ryanthe13th
02-19-06, 06:45 PM
I have always been a Brown sympathizer. I knew his career was over after that Texas game. It just was sad when nobody patted him on the back or said anything to him after that start.

Great Career, Great Stuff, Questionable Attitude.

Good luck in all future endeverors, Kevin Brown. I'll always remember that double you smacked against the Mets. That was hillarious.

JeterRodriguezSheff
02-19-06, 06:54 PM
There are things he has done that I didnt like. In the end however I respect the hell out of him for his great career, intensity and desire to win, and pitching in pain for us last season. Its a shame he didnt work out with us but I wish him the best.

kan_t
02-19-06, 08:30 PM
A good career. It's pretty sad that his back ruin his chance of being a HOFer.

Boogiedown Bomber
02-19-06, 10:21 PM
Good riddance.

Looie #19
02-19-06, 11:13 PM
My favorite is the suggested threads under this one:

ts funny how baseball works (kevin brown could step it up) 23Mattingly4ever Yankees: Inside The Lines 43 04-17-05 10:57 PM
How can we get rid of Kevin Brown? salvatop Yankees: Inside The Lines 212 01-23-05 02:26 PM
Kevin F&#%ing Brown deranged2005 The Sports Bar 20 09-04-04 07:16 PM
Kevin Brown avator? JeffWeaverFan The Suggestion Box - Forum Help 0 03-18-04 01:23 AM
KEVIN BROWN - could be the worst move in Yankee History RedSoxambassador 2003 Yankees Discussion Archives 47 12-28-03 08:24 PM

It's kind of sad that RedSoxamb ass ador was 100 percent dead on, hyperbolic thread title aside.

noneckwilliams
02-19-06, 11:19 PM
Good riddance.

Oh yeah - say that to my face!!!

Looie #19
02-19-06, 11:22 PM
That would be like speaking to a wall.

jimmyclark
02-19-06, 11:26 PM
I can forgive injuries that just happen but not deliberate ones like punching the clubhouse wall. He did have a pretty good career and he and The King did take San Diego to the world series in 1998.
There were various writers (Buster Olney among others) who said Brown never made adjustments. Does anyone know what those adjustments would have been and why Brown didn't??

SuperMario66
02-19-06, 11:38 PM
My favorite is the suggested threads under this one:

ts funny how baseball works (kevin brown could step it up) 23Mattingly4ever Yankees: Inside The Lines 43 04-17-05 10:57 PM
How can we get rid of Kevin Brown? salvatop Yankees: Inside The Lines 212 01-23-05 02:26 PM
Kevin F&#%ing Brown deranged2005 The Sports Bar 20 09-04-04 07:16 PM
Kevin Brown avator? JeffWeaverFan The Suggestion Box - Forum Help 0 03-18-04 01:23 AM
KEVIN BROWN - could be the worst move in Yankee History RedSoxambassador 2003 Yankees Discussion Archives 47 12-28-03 08:24 PM

It's kind of sad that RedSoxamb ass ador was 100 percent dead on, hyperbolic thread title aside.

Anybody remember this thread:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=67727&page=1&pp=45&highlight=Kevin+Brown

27IsNext
02-20-06, 12:10 AM
As painful as the Game 7 performance was, I will always remember Brown as someone who put his future and health on the line to give us some innings when we were short on pitchers in 2005.

Great career. Enjoy retirement, Kevin. Sorry it couldn't have been better for you here. :)

DontHateOnNumber2
02-20-06, 12:31 AM
Enjoy retirement Kev. Sorry you couldn't keep it together in New York, would've been nice to see you get another ring. Thanks for the work you did put in though.

-tz
02-20-06, 01:42 AM
He's retiring as a Yankee, or at least the Yankees were his last team. Doesn't this belong in one of the Yankee forums?

Oh well ... good luck to him. As a Yankee, he always seemed to me to be a tragic figure. I'm sure he didn't want to have this kind of a conclusion to his career.

Panamaniac42
02-20-06, 03:29 AM
I feel bad for the guy. Bad back, bad luck, bad results, bad everything. I really thought he was starting to recapture some of his "stuff" this summer against the Royals...he was really cranking up the fastball and the sinker was wicked. He eventually lost the game though (this was part of that embarrassing sweep @ Kaufmann). Then I think he went on the DL shortly thereafter and that was that.

I don't think he's a bad guy, unfortunately he'll be remembered for the wall punching episode and the ALCS implosion while pitching hurt. But before you blame him, blame those who mishandled the Andy Pettitte situation...because acquiring Brown was merely a kneejerk response to what occurred that fateful morning of Dec. 11 2003.

silverdsl
02-20-06, 09:00 AM
I didn't care for Brown in pinstripes but there's no doubt that in his younger years he was outstanding and has a career to be proud of. Good luck to him in the next chapter in his life!

Also, as tz pointed out, Brown retired as a Yankee so I'm going to move this thread to Yankees Discussion. :)

-Deborah

ojo
02-20-06, 09:45 AM
i think this thread is best served in 'around the majors'. kevin brown's career bears serious HOF consideration and it's simply not going to get the qualified, rounded responses here than it would there.

YankClipper5
02-20-06, 09:53 AM
kevin brown's career bears serious HOF consideration

EEK! While a great pitcher when healthy, I see him falling far short of HOF standards. He has not seriously threatened any of the statistical benchmarks and his brashness won him few friends with an HOF vote. In his prime and when healthy, he was arguably the games best pitcher, but much like Donnie, and probably a more drastic case, injuries tore him down. Best of luck in retirement Brownie, sorry things didn't work out during your time here, but I don't see you resurfacing in MLB news.

InterlockingNY
02-20-06, 10:26 AM
No suprise here.....I just wish we could have got the Kevin Brown of the late 90's. What can you say....the guy was hurt pretty much the entire time he was with the Yankees. I'll leave him alone about the wall punching thing because he is retiring.

hardrain
02-20-06, 10:37 AM
Well. I'm glad he's not going to it again. His body deserted him long ago.

Jersey Yankee
02-20-06, 12:24 PM
I'm so happy, I could punch the wall with my non-pitching hand!!!

Don't fergit to write, Kevin. I'll leave you my address sometime soon. Not anytime soon, but I will eventually.

You did great as a Dodger, but only stank up da joint as a Yankee.

MisterNovember
02-20-06, 12:30 PM
Farewell, sweet prince.

:P

slickknick
02-20-06, 12:36 PM
Farewell.....a year too late. He was done after 2004 season. He milked the Yanks for 15+ million that last year when he knew dam well he was unable to recover

IronCaballo4
02-20-06, 12:41 PM
get to steppin, brownie

HouseThatRingsBuild
02-20-06, 02:55 PM
Finally, Brown did something for us, he retired.

stupidpunchline
02-20-06, 03:39 PM
F&$k you, Kevin Brown. F$%k you.

Looie #19
02-20-06, 04:55 PM
Farewell.....a year too late. He was done after 2004 season. He milked the Yanks for 15+ million that last year when he knew dam well he was unable to recover

Yeah, I'm sure you'd willingly give up 15 million dollars.

HouseThatRingsBuild
02-20-06, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I'm sure you'd willingly give up 15 million dollars.

I really think the last two years didn't bother him. Because of the fat contract he signed in 1998, he was able fly in a private jet back and forth to Georgia.

mr.roy
02-20-06, 06:42 PM
The best move of his career was signing with the Dodgers for 105 mil.
That's the thing that stands out to me in his career.
The only other thing is his WS Ring with the "Fish".
There was no reason to break his own hand either.
Very unprofessional.

AndThenThereWasTino
02-20-06, 10:33 PM
Thank God he's off the team and good luck in retirement.

kan_t
02-21-06, 06:37 AM
I really think the last two years didn't bother him. Because of the fat contract he signed in 1998, he was able fly in a private jet back and forth to Georgia.
Wants are unlimited. I'm sure Brown himself won't think that he has too much money.

Arod for President
02-21-06, 10:08 AM
Kevin Who?? Who is this Brown I keep hearing so much about?!? Oh well moving on.

NDBoston
02-21-06, 11:17 AM
Kevin Brown drinks for free if I ever see him in a bar.

Kulish29
02-21-06, 11:24 AM
Kevin Brown drinks for free if I ever see him in a bar.

I hear he likes Harvey Walbangers.

RhodyYanksFan
02-21-06, 12:34 PM
One of the worst deals in a long time. I'd retire after stealing $27 million from the Yankees too. I know he got $30mil but he only earned $3 of it.

Boogiedown Bomber
02-21-06, 01:07 PM
Oh yeah - say that to my face!!!

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!! :D

(what are you gonna do....tear up a toilet?)

JJazz
02-21-06, 01:33 PM
I hear he likes Harvey Walbangers.

Now THAT was funny.

bagger015
02-21-06, 02:02 PM
Great pitcher.........it's unfortunate for his back that age and lack of mechanics finally caught up with him.

He did not work out as expected with the Yankees but that is the chance teams take with free agents...........anything can happen at any time................

Best of luck to Kevin in whatever he may choose to do.

Jasbro
02-21-06, 02:19 PM
One of the worst deals in a long time. I'd retire after stealing $27 million from the Yankees too. I know he got $30mil but he only earned $3 of it.

Great pitcher.........it's unfortunate for his back that age and lack of mechanics finally caught up with him.

He did not work out as expected with the Yankees but that is the chance teams take with free agents...........anything can happen at any time................

Best of luck to Kevin in whatever he may choose to do.

Brown wasn't a free agent, he was acquired in a desperate trade to replace Pettite and dump an imploding Jeff Weaver.

The year before we acquired him, he went 14-9 with a 2.39 ERA (second-best in the National League) in 32 starts. In 211 innings, he rang up 185 strikeouts against 56 walks while holding opponents to a .239 average.

At the time, it appeared that we had acquired a very solid (albeit injury prone) #2 pitcher to replace Pettite. It just didn't work out.

And let's not forget that we probably would not have made the playoffs in 2004 if it weren't for Kevin Brown.

YankClipper5
02-21-06, 02:33 PM
And let's not forget that we probably would not have made the playoffs in 2004 if it weren't for Kevin Brown.

I know at times he looked solid in 04 but is there any specific event you point to for this? Or is it his general contribution. It is easy to knock his punching the wall but at that point we were in good enough position for the post season. I am just curious as to whether you feel he made a specific contribution.

yanks710
02-21-06, 05:34 PM
So when are we retiring his jersey? :D

Jeter Kid
02-21-06, 06:04 PM
Great, we won't have to see him struggle again like he did in '05.

Paul Hunter23
02-25-06, 02:47 PM
Don't worry, we got Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright to take his place.

MulderHudsonZito
02-26-06, 09:05 PM

Now that is funny!!

Do the Yankees owe KevBo any money? If so, how much?

Steve J. Rogers
02-26-06, 10:19 PM
I think I can sum up Yankee fans, and baseball fans in general in this parody curtesey of the late, great Johnny Cash:

Kevin Brown, you've been livin' hell to me
You've been nothin' to me since Two Thousand and Three
I've seen you come and go and I've seen seasons die
And long ago I stopped askin' why

Kevin Brown, I hate every inch of you.
You've punched walls but couldn't pitch thru an' thru.
And You won't walk out a wiser weaker man;
At least the Dodgers can understand.

Kevin Brown, what good did you think you do?
Did you think you'd be in the Hall Of Fame when you were through?
That contract in 98 almost took baseball's soul,
And you made all the fan's blood a little cold.

Kevin Brown, may you rot and burn in hell.
May your career fall and may I live to tell.
May all the world forget you ever hurled.
And may all the world regret you did no good.

Kevin Brown, you've been livin' hell to me.

Jasbro
02-26-06, 10:27 PM
I know at times he looked solid in 04 but is there any specific event you point to for this? Or is it his general contribution. It is easy to knock his punching the wall but at that point we were in good enough position for the post season. I am just curious as to whether you feel he made a specific contribution.

I was thinking of his 9-1 start through the first 4 months of the season.

TheInfallibleOne
02-26-06, 10:31 PM

as soon as they make one big enough to soak in gasoline and shoot fireworks at in monument park.

thats like asking when they will retire Jeter's number in fenway. u have a better chance of them doing that with Rivera's, literally

Mattpat11
02-26-06, 11:20 PM
If nothing else, you couldn't deny his passion.

And as for the broken hand, while an UnGodly stupid thing to do, in a way, I credit it with saving the Yankees 04 season. That team up was looking rather bored and listless as they lost game after game after game. They didn't play with any intensity until Brown pissed them off.

Of course, it all went to hell from there.

And I still credit him for showing up in Texas last year.

Sad end to a great career.

Mattpat11
02-26-06, 11:21 PM
I know at times he looked solid in 04 but is there any specific event you point to for this? Or is it his general contribution. It is easy to knock his punching the wall but at that point we were in good enough position for the post season. I am just curious as to whether you feel he made a specific contribution.the team was stagnant before he punched the wall.

Maldonado
02-27-06, 03:23 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/sports/baseball/19chass.html?_r=1&oref=login

I was as disappointed as any of you in the wall incident and some of his starts, but overall, this was one of the great pitchers of this generation. I always admired his tenacity, especially the times he came off the DL early when the Yanks were in a pinch.

Do you think Brown is Hall of Fame worthy? And if so, will he go in as a Yankee? My answer to these are he'll make it, but will take two or three times, and he'll go in as Yankee.

ryanthe13th
02-27-06, 03:54 PM
Do you think Brown is Hall of Fame worthy? And if so, will he go in as a Yankee? My answer to these are he'll make it, but will take two or three times, and he'll go in as Yankee.

Brown will not go in as a Yankee. It would make absolutely no sense for him to do so.

First off, I don't think his status with the organization is very good. Everyone and their mother who is a Yankee fan remembers him for his poor performance in the 2004 ALCS, including the front office.

Second, New York is where Brown had his disatrous end as a pitcher. He was completely unreliable and went from dominant to a sub par innings eater.

Last, he never won a World Series with the Yankees. He got a ring with the Marlins and went to the show with the Padres. If Brown does get into the Hall of Fame, I think he will be entering as etheir a Marlin or Dodger.

Jasbro
02-27-06, 03:56 PM
the team was stagnant before he punched the wall.

And he carried them on his back through the end of July before he literally and figuratively hit a wall.

Jasbro
02-27-06, 04:10 PM

Brown was one of the better pitchers of his generation, but not nearly good enough to be in the HOF.

Interestingly, he has very, very similiar career numbers to Curt Schilling, who also will not make it.

Brown: 211 wins; .594 winning pct; 1.22 WHIP; 3.28 ERA
Schilling: 192 wins; .594 winning pct; 1.12 WHIP; 3.40 ERA

Both are excellent career pitchers who will fall short of the Hall.

And even if he was Hall-worthy, he certainly wouldn't go in as a Yankee. He spent only 2 years of his 19-year career with the Yankees -- one was injury-shortened and the other was the worst year of his career.

Moose35
02-28-06, 12:46 PM
Anybody remember this thread:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=67727&page=1&pp=45&highlight=Kevin+Brown

It's over between us :(

ryanthe13th
02-28-06, 01:17 PM
Brown was one of the better pitchers of his generation, but not nearly good enough to be in the HOF.

Interestingly, he has very, very similiar career numbers to Curt Schilling, who also will not make it.

Brown: 211 wins; .594 winning pct; 1.22 WHIP; 3.28 ERA
Schilling: 192 wins; .594 winning pct; 1.12 WHIP; 3.40 ERA

Both are excellent career pitchers who will fall short of the Hall.

And even if he was Hall-worthy, he certainly wouldn't go in as a Yankee. He spent only 2 years of his 19-year career with the Yankees -- one was injury-shortened and the other was the worst year of his career.

Schilling is getting into the Hall of Fame based on the Game 6 performance against the Yankees alone. I really don't see him being kept out. He may not be a first ballot HoF'er, but he will get in eventually.

BronxBombers2005
02-28-06, 07:37 PM
Goood, I hate that man so much. He should have retiered when he came to us. I dislike him so much. Stupid retard.

Tifoso
02-28-06, 07:40 PM
Retard is such a bad word to use about anyone, on so many levels...

Just sayin...

BronxBombers2005
02-28-06, 08:04 PM
sorry, hes not a retard he just not all there.

The Q Bomb
02-28-06, 08:13 PM
Good bye and good luck, Kevin Brown. It is unfortunate that his time as a Yankee wasn't better - but The Yanks couldn't complain about his effort (and they also couldn't complain about his injuries given his history before they traded for him). It's unfortunate the he was so vilified in NY (fans can voice disappointment with a player's performance and or demeanor without carrying on like he's an ax murder) because I never saw evidence that he dogged it or that he was a clubhouse cancer, as rumored. As a matter of fact, he seemed to have a surprising sense of self-deprecating humor to me.
I wish him improved health and a happy life with his family.