PDA

View Full Version : Tino officially retires

yanksconstantino24
02-15-06, 01:41 PM
I'm a little sad I'll never see Tino play again. I really wanted him to win one last champioinship with the Yankees. But, I'm happy he's getting a new opportunity with ESPN.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/02/15/Sports/T...to_admit_.shtml

Tino forced to admit: playing career's over
An ESPN gig awaits the Tampa native, who retires after 16 seasons.
By MARC TOPKIN, Times Staff Writer
Published February 15, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tino Martinez didn't want to make a formal announcement. If he'd had his way, he just would have not showed up for spring training and gone on with his life.

But with a new high-profile gig at ESPN about to start, he figured people might notice. So Tuesday, the Tampa native officially acknowledged that his stellar 16-year playing career, which included four World Series championships with the Yankees and a 2004 season with his hometown Devil Rays, indeed was over.

"I don't want to make this a big deal," Martinez said by phone. "I'm done. I'm not going to play anymore. I'm 100 percent decided."

Martinez, 38, said he began to realize the end was near when he was limited to part-time duty in 2005. He decided he wanted to finish his career in pinstripes, and when the Yankees declined an option to bring him back this season, he determined there was no point in going anywhere else.

"I wanted to retire as a Yankee, to have that uniform on for the last time," he said. "It's a great way to go out."

And the chance to get right in at ESPN, with duties that include the Baseball Tonight studio show, some radio work and assignment to a few games, provided a perfect transition and an exciting challenge.

"This opportunity made it a lot easier," he said. "I'm really fired up about it. And I'm going to work hard at it to get better."

After starring at Tampa Catholic and Jefferson high schools and the University of Tampa, Martinez was a 1988 first-round pick by the Mariners and a gold-medal Olympian. He made two All-Star teams during his 16 seasons with the Mariners, Yankees, Cardinals and Rays, finished second in the 1997 AL MVP voting after hitting 44 homers and piled up some impressive career numbers: a .271 average, 339 home runs and 1,271 RBIs.

"To play 16 years in the big leagues; most people dream of playing one day," Martinez said. "I gave it all I had. I definitely made the most of my opportunity. And I look back with no regrets."

Sheff_Rod
02-15-06, 01:49 PM
Would've been great if he got to go out with one for the thumb.

Good luck at ESPN, Tino.

Sam18
02-15-06, 01:53 PM
Good luck at ESPN Tino!

Kudo
02-15-06, 01:54 PM
He had a great career and I will never forget his shot of Kim in 2001. I cant ever remember being so uplifted, I jumped like 10 feet in the air. And when he won the Home Run Derby that one time, I felt so proud. Then that crazy home run surge this year when Giambi was still getting back into the groove of things made such a diffrence. Forget Alexander the Great he is the one that makes me proud to be 1/64th Greek.

gdn
02-15-06, 02:11 PM
GOODBYE TINO :D

Oh man, I loved watching him play back in the day... Atleast we'll get to see him on BBTN.

MisterNovember
02-15-06, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the memories, Bamtino. Glad you could go out as a Yankee. Good luck at ESPN, hope to see you on YES someday!

TheBamTino24
02-15-06, 02:38 PM
Tino Martinez was a great Yankee, IMHO. We'll all have awesome memories to look back upon fondly.

Good luck at ESPN, Tino! And thank you!

Sixty one
02-15-06, 02:46 PM
Tino was a class act as well as an above average major leaguer. I wish him well and can't wait to see him don those pinstripes at old timers games. His clutch hits and four rings are something that he can tell his grandchildren for many years to come. GOOD LUCK, TINO! :) :) :)

BeantownYankee
02-15-06, 02:56 PM
Tino came over and had to fill shoes of another Yankee Great and will always be remembered in a simular light! Way to go Tino.

:2thumbs:

obsessedyankeefan
02-15-06, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the memories Tino. You were a great Yankee and a class act. Looking forward to seeing you on ESPN. Good luck to you. :)

LeapsNbounds
02-15-06, 03:07 PM
GOODBYE TINO :D

Oh man, I loved watching him play back in the day... Atleast we'll get to see him on BBTN.

Maybe he can add some pro-yankee sentiment on the show!! I mean if Shannon Sharpe can root for the Broncos week in and week out, maybe Tino can do it for the yanks!!

Thanks for the Momories, championships and for always being a professional!

BronxBaumer
02-15-06, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the memories Tino. :gulp:
And thanks for May this year too ;)

gdn
02-15-06, 03:30 PM
Oh man, I might cry.... :(

in MO I trust 42
02-15-06, 03:45 PM
I'll miss you Tino! I can't wait to see you on BBTN! :ga-ga:

obsessedyankeefan
02-15-06, 03:59 PM
Maybe he can add some pro-yankee sentiment on the show!! I mean if Shannon Sharpe can root for the Broncos week in and week out, maybe Tino can do it for the yanks!!
He and Gammons should have a lot of fun together. :P

ZIM 2002
02-15-06, 04:01 PM
I'll really miss Tino - he was a special person for the Yankees, as well as a great clutch player. I wish him well at ESPN, and I'm at least happy to be able to see him there.

busyninja
02-15-06, 04:04 PM
Simply one of my all time favorite players. Thanks for everything.

AlongCameAPrincess
02-15-06, 04:18 PM
I'm 22 so Tino is one of the first Yankees I registered as "core"... The end of an era, I am officially, getting older. :eek:

Quite a ride, bamTino. Hate to see you go.

Good luck on everything! :)

yanksconstantino24
02-15-06, 04:20 PM
I'm 22 so Tino is one of the first Yankees I registered as "core"... The end of an era, I am officially, getting older. :eek:

Quite a ride, bamTino. Hate to see you go.

Good luck on everything! :)

I see what you mean. I'll be 21 in June, so I really have no memory of the Yankees before Tino got here.

Don Mattingly
02-15-06, 04:23 PM
Tino provided the greatest baseball moment I have ever witnessed live (and one of the most dramatic homers of all time) when he took Kim deep on Halloween. I still get goosebumps watching that game on Yanks classics. And to think, I was almost going to leave the game (I hate watching the last out of a loss) about 30 seconds before he hit the home run. Good thing the ex-girlfriend hit me with the "You're not a real Yankee fan line."

Thanks for the memories Tino!

Boogiedown Bomber
02-15-06, 04:26 PM
Thanx for the memories Tino. I am glad you returned for one more season with the Bombers. You will be missed! :(

DaPip1998
02-15-06, 04:27 PM
Good luck Tino! He really handled the early part of the '96 season with class despite the hard time a lot of fans gave him for not being Donnie.

JeffWeaverFan
02-15-06, 04:28 PM
I'm glad he retired a Yankee. Great job Tino!

YankClipper5
02-15-06, 04:31 PM
Good Job retiring a Yankee Tino, a legend indeed. I would like to see him come back in a coaching role to get one for the thumb, but either way, great career and thanks so much for the memories. We'll miss you Bamtino.

b-ball-lunachick
02-15-06, 04:36 PM
Good luck Tino and thanks for the memories! :) I liked his quotes too -- always with such class. :)

As much as I loved Tino though, I didn't think broadcasting would be the way he'd go -- he speaks pretty fast and uses "whatnot" and such a lot...but I hope he does really well! :D

WebsterMulligan
02-15-06, 04:52 PM
Good luck to a great, great Yankee! :gulp: Thanks, Tino!

AMYanks
02-15-06, 04:56 PM
Thank you, Constantino.

JJazz
02-15-06, 04:58 PM
Tino is class all the way in and all the way out. Thanks!

Clive
02-15-06, 05:02 PM
Thanks for all of the great memories, Tino. Good luck on your new ESPN gig. :gulp:

Tifoso
02-15-06, 05:05 PM
To a truly great Yankee, and a class act.

Thanks for the memories, Tino. :salute or cheers smiley that we don't have for some reason: :P

BroadwayBomber55
02-15-06, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the memories Tino Martinez.

I always remember his Grand Slam against Mark Langston in game 1 of the 1998 World Series.

I definitely always remember Tino's Game 4 HR against Byung-Hung Kim in the 2001 World Series.

BillBuckner
02-15-06, 05:41 PM
Thank you Tino for a wonderful career. Truely a class act, and one of the all time Yankee greats. :NY:

Seth
02-15-06, 05:49 PM
Thank you Tino for representing the Yankees with dignity and class. Good luck at ESPN.

bagger015
02-15-06, 05:57 PM
Best of luck with ESPN..............

Thanks for the memories.............:D

wexy
02-15-06, 06:11 PM
Good luck Tino and thanks for all the joy you gave Yankee fans with your perfomance on the field.

WebsterMulligan
02-15-06, 06:22 PM
I definitely always remember Tino's Game 4 HR against Byung-Hung Kim in the 2001 World Series.

Games 4 & 5 of that series were two of the greatest games ever, IMO.

BronxByTheBay
02-15-06, 06:47 PM
Tino's little skip after hitting the grand slam in game 1 of the 98 WS is one of my fav memories from the Dynasty Years.

:gulp:

Tifoso
02-15-06, 07:01 PM
Me too....somebody got a clip, please?

IncredibleByNature
02-15-06, 07:07 PM

ITA. Even though we all know how that series ended, those games were amazing.

Thank you for all the memories, Tino!!! :gulp:

AndThenThereWasTino
02-15-06, 07:08 PM
I'll miss you Tino... One of my All time favorite Yankees. A solid defensive player and proved to be a great force offensively to the end. Hope you eventually get a coaching job with the Yankees eventually. Adieu and good luck.

NYYRules#1
02-15-06, 07:19 PM
This guy was my favorite player in baseball growing up. I'll never forget him, or what he did for the New York Yankees. I was, am, and always will be a Tino Martinez fan.

Thank you Tino for all the great memories. You'll always be a New York Yankee. :NY:

NYYBombshell
02-15-06, 07:22 PM
So long Tino, and thanks for all the memories. You will be missed.

Tifoso
02-15-06, 07:23 PM
So long Tino, and thanks for all the memories. You will be missed.

I clicked will :o

NJ Fan
02-15-06, 07:36 PM

I did too! :D

NYYBombshell
02-15-06, 07:40 PM

Silly Lou. I was just emphasizing the "will".

Tifoso
02-15-06, 07:42 PM
Silly Lou. I was just emphasizing the "will".

Really? :D

yankeezombie
02-15-06, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the great times. Didn't like you the first year because you were replacing Donnie, but it shows you how stupid us fans can be at times. Good luck at ESPN.

obsessedyankeefan
02-15-06, 08:48 PM

I did too! :D
I did three! :D

PonytailAtHome
02-15-06, 11:54 PM
Yup, Tino is one of my favorites. Always will be. And I'll miss him most definitely.

Good times and great memories. :)

BroadwayBomber55
02-15-06, 11:57 PM

Two of the greatest games ever in baseball history. Bar none.

DontHateOnNumber2
02-16-06, 12:10 AM
At least it won't be the last that we'll see of him on TV. It's nice to know that he wanted to go out a Yankee. Thanks for the great years, the rings, and the hot bat you provided to help keep us in the race in the beginning of the 2005 season, Tino. You will be missed.

Dooley Womack
02-16-06, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the memories, Tino. You made the transition from Donnie Baseball to you almost flawless, even if you did start out awfully slow your first month here. Not too many first basemen could have performed that feat without people crying for Mattingly.

Yanks4eva1
02-16-06, 04:37 AM
To Tino,

Best wishes to one of my favorite Yankees. Your professionalism, class and dogged determination to win is unmatched. I wish you could have won just one more WS with the Yankees, but that wasn't meant to be. Thank you, Tino, for years of exciting NY baseball and for filling the shoes of another great Yankee, Donnie Baseball so well.

I can say I saw you at your last game as a Yankee. God bless you and your family and have fun with the ESPN gig (good for you!!! Can't wait to see you in a suit all the time ;) ) See you at Old Timers Day...(WOW)...

Best always, Dee

#1PaFan
02-16-06, 06:42 AM
Here's to Tino! :gulp:

sjb23
02-16-06, 07:37 AM
Now almost a full team from the recent championship years for this year's Old Timer's game:

1B - Tino
2B - Knoblauch
SS -
3B - Brosius
C - Girardi
LF - Raines
CF - Curtis
RF - O'Neill
DH - Strawberry
SP - Cone
Closer - Wetteland

Too bad Bernie's being so stubborn! :D
Who can we get to play SS ?

yanksconstantino24
02-16-06, 07:49 AM
Now almost a full team from the recent championship years for this year's Old Timer's game:

1B - Tino
2B - Knoblauch
SS -
3B - Brosius
C - Girardi
LF - Raines
CF - Curtis
RF - O'Neill
DH - Strawberry
SP - Cone
Closer - Wetteland

Too bad Bernie's being so stubborn! :D
Who can we get to play SS ?

Luis Sojo

Bozidar
02-16-06, 07:52 AM
Randy Velarde

Bozidar
02-16-06, 07:53 AM
Congrats to Tino on his retirement. I hope he chooses to go into broadcasting to give it a shot, like Paul did. He's seen a lot of baseball, the fans love him, and i'm sure he's got a lot to say.

arjun_sankalia
02-16-06, 08:37 AM
Thanks Tino. I will never forget the homer on the 3-2 bases loaded pitch off langston in the 98 world series. i jumped so high and screamed 'yes!!!' so out loud. Thats a Yankee moment thats way up there.

ZYanksRule
02-16-06, 09:38 AM
Tino,

Today is a sad day.

Thank you for everything. Seeya at Old-Timer's Day

TinoFan84
02-16-06, 09:55 AM
I was wondering when he'd make it official ... congratulations on a great career, Tino, we'll miss you!

I loved the grand slam in the '98 series but one of my all time favorite memories is from a game against Seattle (the team we got him from, no less) when he hit a solo homer, a two run homer, and a three run home ... and had 2 shots at the grand slam, to round it out ... but couldn't quite do it ... great game for him nonetheless.

Arod for President
02-16-06, 10:39 AM
Its sad but Im glad he ended it with the Yankees and He did have a pretty good run for a last year player. (unlike some people) i wont name any names {Cough SAMY SOSA} I wish Tino the best of Luck!

effdamets
02-16-06, 11:02 AM
The hardest thing for an athlete to do, is to walk away! (it's the first of two deaths)

Anyway, I'll always remember Tino for the good things he did for the Yankees during the incredible run they had. When he took over for Mattingly, I wasn't that disappointed becuase it was Donnie's decision to walk away, so I gave Tino a chance, and I'm glad he came through. Plus, I knew Tino from his Mariner days...

Wouldn't it be great for Tino to tell Gammons to go eff himself and that the Yankees are better than the Red Sox? I would crack up and die laughing! At least he'll have Harold Reynolds on his side. HR always backs the Yankees! And he likes Derek Jeter too, Tino's best friend!

MassNYYfan
02-16-06, 11:25 AM
My favorite Yankee. Thanks for the memories, Tino.

And thanks for almost making me kill my cat who is your namesake in 1998 after that Grand Slam. Poor guy was out on the balcony where he liked to hang out on the ledge. I yelled and jumped so high that I guess I scared him right off the edge. Went to get him and no Tino (the cat) to be found. Quivering under a porch chair down below. :upset:

Thanks for the HR in 2001, too. Thanks to you I'm always on my hands and knees praying in front of the TV whenever there's a big moment. Hey, it worked once. :D

And of course, thanks to the Yankees for bringing him back last year. Thanks to that I finally got to see him play in a Yankees uniform and at Yankee Stadium. And he actually started at 1st base! Turned out to be Tino Martinez poster night, too. Some poor kid dropped his/her poster from the middle deck at the end of the game right into the seat next to me. Gift from the Gods. ;)

Now I have to decide between framing the Martinez jersey or shoving the cat into one of the football display cubes I've got. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.... :lol:

:gulp:

ZIM 2002
02-16-06, 12:01 PM
Wish we could send this thread to Tino as a "retirement card" to show our appreciation!

yankeebot
02-16-06, 12:14 PM
To Tino :gulp:. Good luck. You will always be a Yankee.

http://static.flickr.com/42/100494027_99a7f3c949_m.jpg

destelle
02-16-06, 12:15 PM
I'm going to miss you Tino! You have always been one of my favorite Yankees. Lots of luck in all your future endeavors. Can't wait to see what ya can do at ESPN and hopefully you'll be back as part of the Yankee family sometime in the future.

PeteRFNY
02-16-06, 12:21 PM
Awesome that Tino has a BBTN gig. Should make watching that thing a bit easier to stomach!

Who has the over/under on how many times a show he says, "whatnot"? ;)

yanksconstantino24
02-16-06, 12:56 PM
Awesome that Tino has a BBTN gig. Should make watching that thing a bit easier to stomach!

Who has the over/under on how many times a show he says, "whatnot"? ;)

Haha. I bet it will be about one time every two sentences. Tino's got to work on his speaking a little bit.

dmsimon15
02-16-06, 05:40 PM
I'm glad that Tino got to go out as a Yankee. Not a lot of players can say they did that.

Snap731
02-18-06, 03:54 PM
Thanks for everything Tino. I'll always love ya.

Actually I think this is great news b/c we'll get to see Tino all the time on ESPN and of course he'll be remembered as a Yankee.

ericns1
02-18-06, 04:43 PM
Five rings would have been great but best of luck Tino! I know at least one ESPN commentator will not be biased against the Yanks

Snap731
02-18-06, 05:11 PM
Tino's gotta be one of the best defensive first-basemen in history never to win a gold glove.

yanksconstantino24
02-18-06, 05:27 PM
Five rings would have been great but best of luck Tino! I know at least one ESPN commentator will not be biased against the Yanks

Hopefully, Tino's fifth ring will come in a few years when he joins the coaching staff.

27IsNext
02-19-06, 01:30 AM
:(

No Tino in 2005 means no playoffs in 2005.

Thank you for everything Tino. Words cannot express how much you meant to this team over the years. Glad to see you got your wish to retire as a Yankee. Enjoy ESPN! :)

CalYankeeFan
02-19-06, 06:35 AM
:(

No Tino in 2005 means no playoffs in 2005.

Thank you for everything Tino. Words cannot express how much you meant to this team over the years. Glad to see you got your wish to retire as a Yankee. Enjoy ESPN! :)

Good luck Tino...looking forward to hearing your insight...

Marcia
02-19-06, 05:59 PM
Game 1 1998 World Series. Game tied, bases loaded, a 3-2 count on Tino...Grand Slam into the upper deck! Surely one of the Stadium's most euphoric moments! :cheer: