PDA

View Full Version : Wang unlikely for WBC

obsessedyankeefan
02-13-06, 10:57 PM
Sorry if this was posted already, I didn't see it anywhere.

Chien-Ming Wang is likely to pull out of the WBC rather than pitch for Chinese Taipei.
"I think, no," Wang said when asked whether he was going to pitch in the WBC. The Yankees have made it clear they don't want Wang to pitch, in part because of his shoulder problems from last season. http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=331

Now if we can just get the rest of the Yankees to do the same, it would be even better news.

NYDCYankee
02-13-06, 11:35 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Evil Empire
02-13-06, 11:36 PM
And then there were three? (I think)

MisterNovember
02-13-06, 11:44 PM
Good. I'm worried enough about Wang's fragile shoulder, we don't need him playing in this stupid exhibition.

njdhockey
02-13-06, 11:46 PM
Great news! So who is left from the Yankees playing? Jeter? A-rod?

MisterNovember
02-13-06, 11:55 PM
Great news! So who is left from the Yankees playing? Jeter? A-rod?

If I'm not mistaken, I think it's only Jeter, Damon and ARod.

njdhockey
02-13-06, 11:56 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I think it's only Jeter, Damon and ARod.
Good no pitchers. I'm not to worried about Jeter, A-rod, or Damon getting hurt/tired.

MisterNovember
02-13-06, 11:59 PM
Good no pitchers. I'm not to worried about Jeter, A-rod, or Damon getting hurt/tired.

Don't quote me on that, but last I checked I think those are our only three guys going.

BroadwayBomber55
02-14-06, 12:10 AM
No Yankee pitchers in the WBC. Chien-Ming Wang doesn't want to further injure his shoulder.

We need him fit and firing on all cylinders.

nyankegreg
02-14-06, 12:13 AM
Jeter, Damon, ARod, Bernie, Leiter, Cairo are all in the WBC... Villone and Wang are expected to drop out any day now.

MisterNovember
02-14-06, 12:24 AM
Jeter, Damon, ARod, Bernie, Leiter, Cairo are all in the WBC... Villone and Wang are expected to drop out any day now.

OK, I'll rephrase:

Jeter, Damon and ARod are the only RELEVANT Yankees participating the WBC. :)

NewEraYanks2527
02-14-06, 12:27 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ditto

Kudo
02-14-06, 12:30 AM
Nice. I was most worried about him playing out of all of our players because he really doesnt need to be risking his shoulder given his past problems.

JeffWeaverFan
02-14-06, 12:43 AM
Him and Rivera were the two I wanted most to withdraw. With RJ being a close 3rd to that.

Bub
02-14-06, 08:23 AM
ST trip is getting better every day. :)

DontHateOnNumber2
02-14-06, 08:34 AM
Good, I really wanted to see some of the Yankees play in the WBC but now I'm seriously changing my tune. Jeter, Rodriguez, and Damon are still committed....I'm not sure if I really want to see them playing too much. One hook slide and "bam!", injury. God forbid anything happens to any players. I just miss baseball a lot though.

Eldee5
02-14-06, 09:38 AM
OK, I'll rephrase:

Jeter, Damon and ARod are the only RELEVANT Yankees participating the WBC. :)
Robinson Cano is listed on the provisional Dominican Republic team roster. I would assume that he has agreed to play if selected for the final roster.

http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/rosters/index.jsp?sid=t805

I'm very glad that none of the Yankees' pitchers will be in the WBC. Position players I can live with.

Yankees1962
02-14-06, 10:10 AM
Robinson Cano is listed on the provisional Dominican Republic team roster. I would assume that he has agreed to play if selected for the final roster.

http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/rosters/index.jsp?sid=t805

I'm very glad that none of the Yankees' pitchers will be in the WBC. Position players I can live with.
Cano has already backed out of the tournament.

BRNXBMRS
02-14-06, 12:05 PM
How could anyone expect him to go all out in March, after he sat out for 2 months with a shoulder problem. I am so glad he is sitting out.

AndThenThereWasTino
02-14-06, 01:39 PM
Thank God. We need all our players fresh from the start. Job well done by the Yankees getting all the pitchers to pull out.

Bub
02-14-06, 02:17 PM
I think Jeter should back out and let A-Rod play short.

In Mo I Trust
02-14-06, 02:45 PM
Glorious news, no need to have our pitchers involved.

obsessedyankeefan
02-14-06, 03:09 PM
I think Jeter should back out and let A-Rod play short.
I think they should both back out.

LuckyLopez
02-14-06, 03:40 PM
Cano has already backed out of the tournament.
I'm guessing that Cano hasn't actually gone through whatever it is that he has to to officially withdraw. When you look across the rosters players who have withdrawed like Rivera and Nomar are marked as such. And a lot of players like Buerhle and Hudson have outright disappeared off the pages. I wouldn't think that it would be much reason to think Cano will play but it doesn't seem to be official as of yet.

A lot of guys like Pettitte have said "I might not play" or "I'm leaning against playing." Rivera said that for a long time before he made the official decision. And of course we have the case of A-Rod pulling out and then going back in. So I'd guess Cano is just falling into the "unlikely" category at this stage. But on his part, if his concern really was playing time/position on the team he MIGHT be hanging on just to see what happens. If Castillo or Soriano drop out before the games than Cano moves up the depth chart and his stated reason for skipping the tournament would have been removed.

hellonewman
02-14-06, 05:43 PM
Jeter, Damon, ARod, Bernie, Leiter, Cairo are all in the WBC... Villone and Wang are expected to drop out any day now.Leiter can pitch in that thing all he wants. :2thumbs:

PonytailAtHome
02-14-06, 11:51 PM
It seems like there's all of this hype about the WBC. I don't know, I just don't get the whole thing.

Well, I guess the regular season will be here before you know it... Ahh, Yankees baseball, boy I can't wait! :D

NYYMazda
02-15-06, 12:42 AM
Fantastic news, no need to risk further injury to our boy wang

nhyankeefan
02-15-06, 06:54 AM
I heard that Wang was under great pressure to play for his country and I'm glad he's able to say no.

Panamaniac42
02-15-06, 10:50 AM
OT here but since this thread is about Wang...

Meet "Wang Manli" :roflmao:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/5058133/detail.html