PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod at the Duke basketball game

Carissa
02-05-06, 11:27 AM
Duke 97, Florida State 96
http://www.salisburypost.com/sports/285338659897753.php

DURHAM New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, wearing a white Duke T-shirt, exited his courtside seat and took a bow as the Cameron Crazies chanted his name following the final buzzer.

http://www.salisburypost.com/temporaryimages/bp41073.jpg
Alex Rodriguez, third baseman with the New York Yankees, reacts to the crowd from the stands as they chant his name in the second half of the Duke and Florida State college basketball game in Durham, N.C., Saturday, Feb. 4, 2006. Duke defeated Florida State 97-96. (AP Photo/Sara D. Davis)
By Bret Strelow

trapper700
02-05-06, 02:03 PM
eww... he's a duke fan, which i guess is okay as long as he makes up for it on the field

JDPNYY
02-05-06, 02:41 PM
Probably betting on the game.

Mariano226
02-05-06, 05:12 PM
its like combining my two favorite things... the yankees and j.j. redick.

MattUNC2003
02-05-06, 05:25 PM

DURHAM New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, wearing a white Duke T-shirt, exited his courtside seat and took a bow as the Cameron Crazies chanted his name following the final buzzer.

Alex Rodriguez, third baseman with the New York Yankees, reacts to the crowd from the stands as they chant his name in the second half of the Duke and Florida State college basketball game in Durham, N.C., Saturday, Feb. 4, 2006. Duke defeated Florida State 97-96. (AP Photo/Sara D. Davis)
By Bret Strelow

I cannot in words express my hatred for Duke University.....

This makes me want to reconsider who my baseball favorite player is.

At least us Tarheels have the honor of saying that PETER GAMMONS, of all people, is an alumni. Yay! :doh:

yankeebot
02-05-06, 05:31 PM
I cannot in words express my hatred for Duke University.....

This makes me want to reconsider who my baseball favorite player is.

At least us Tarheels have the honor of saying that PETER GAMMONS, of all people, is an alumni. Yay! :doh:Don't do anything rash. Arod has long been a Miami Hurricane fan. He signed a letter of intent there before being drafted and a while ago donated $4 million dollars to the baseball team to renovate what is now called Mark Light Field at Alex Rodriguez Park. Looks like someone just gave him a shirt and hat to cheer for the home team.

HipHipJorge
02-05-06, 06:31 PM
He looks like he's doing the tomahawk chop! Ever the "diplomat" I guess.

jbauer2485
02-05-06, 07:34 PM
Wow, Arod needs to be traded immediately.

/UNC student

Davios
02-05-06, 09:26 PM
Don't do anything rash. Arod has long been a Miami Hurricane fan. He signed a letter of intent there before being drafted and a while ago donated $4 million dollars to the baseball team to renovate what is now called Mark Light Field at Alex Rodriguez Park. Looks like someone just gave him a shirt and hat to cheer for the home team.

He's actually been a Duke fan for years, and this is not the first time he has attended. He actually goes quite often. He was going to go to Miami yes, and he likes the Hurricanes Football team, not basketball.

yankeebot
02-05-06, 10:24 PM
He's actually been a Duke fan for years, and this is not the first time he has attended. He actually goes quite often. He was going to go to Miami yes, and he likes the Hurricanes Football team, not basketball.
Well, I guess that is just too bad. But now I have something not to like about him.;)

Panamaniac42
02-05-06, 10:35 PM
i first heard of him liking Duke when he was interviewed by Dan Patrick about 2 months ago and said something about the Duke Coach (whom I dislike immensely) having him speak to the team before a game and how he loved the atmosphere at Cameron.

IncredibleByNature
02-05-06, 10:51 PM
i first heard of him liking Duke when he was interviewed by Dan Patrick about 2 months ago and said something about Coach KKK having him speak to the team before a game and how he loved the atmosphere at Cameron.

Why do you call him Coach KKK?

StaceyRosie
02-05-06, 11:15 PM
i first heard of him liking Duke when he was interviewed by Dan Patrick about 2 months ago and said something about Coach KKK having him speak to the team before a game and how he loved the atmosphere at Cameron.

That's not very neighborly of you.

MassNYYfan
02-05-06, 11:34 PM
Well that's the last time I ever cheer for Alex Rodriguez.

:argh:

Panamaniac42
02-06-06, 12:36 AM
That's not very neighborly of you.

Yeah that was wrong...The Duke coach sets me off, especially in his American Express recruiting commercials.

He's not a racist though so it doesn't even make sense. I just wanted to equate him with evil. Maybe next time I'll not be a child about it and just call him an a**hole instead of beating around the bush? Bleh whatever it's only sports I shouldn't be so worked up but I feel the same toward him as I do Schilling, sorry folks.

dabomb2045
02-06-06, 12:41 AM
dammit ARod....how can you root for that team :mad:

Sam18
02-06-06, 01:33 AM
Leave him alone, he's doing the macarena.

NYYMazda
02-06-06, 01:37 AM
Yeah that was wrong...The Duke coach sets me off, especially in his American Express recruiting commercials.

He's not a racist though so it doesn't even make sense. I just wanted to equate him with evil. Maybe next time I'll not be a child about it and just call him an a**hole instead of beating around the bush? Bleh whatever it's only sports I shouldn't be so worked up but I feel the same toward him as I do Schilling, sorry folks.
Whats with all the Coach K hatred? Coach Krywyzerskieskehsicheafskichefski is a great man. I have never read or heard a single bad thing about him. He went to West Point I believe and he is one heck of an American. He cares very much about academics (which is extremely rare in college sports) and almost all of his players graduate from a top academic university. He doesn't recruit criminals or let anyone be bigger than the team.

Coack K is a phenomenal coach and teacher who never bad mouths anyone and is a credit to a sport with so many off the court problems.

I can understand why people hate Duke because they are always so good and always get the best players, but isn't that why everyone hates our Yankees and cant stand us Yankees fans? :lol:

Now, if you're from Carolina, none of this means anything to you, keep on hatin' hehe

effdamets
02-06-06, 08:36 AM
Whats with all the Coach K hatred? Coach Krywyzerskieskehsicheafskichefski is a great man. I have never read or heard a single bad thing about him. He went to West Point I believe and he is one heck of an American. He cares very much about academics (which is extremely rare in college sports) and almost all of his players graduate from a top academic university. He doesn't recruit criminals or let anyone be bigger than the team.

Coack K is a phenomenal coach and teacher who never bad mouths anyone and is a credit to a sport with so many off the court problems.

I can understand why people hate Duke because they are always so good and always get the best players, but isn't that why everyone hates our Yankees and cant stand us Yankees fans? :lol:

Now, if you're from Carolina, none of this means anything to you, keep on hatin' hehe
I'm going ot have to agree with everything here... I just can't believe that people would actually defer their allegiance away from Alex because of which college basketball team he roots for... Very odd. To me, as long as he wears pinstripes, I will cheer for him.

RI Dawg
02-06-06, 09:23 AM
Ok, my level of how much I like A-Rod just dropped a bit after seeing that.

DUKE SUCKS!!!!!!!

UConn #1

BillBuckner
02-06-06, 09:35 AM
Wow they actually chanted his name, thats suprising. :thatsodd:

siddiqi
02-06-06, 09:43 AM
Ok, my level of how much I like A-Rod just dropped a bit after seeing that.

DUKE SUCKS!!!!!!!

UConn #1
Right on, Duke is overrated, it's tough to lose games when you have a 43-11 differential in FT attempts. As far as A-Rod is concerned, I'm very disappointed, but no one's perfect.

MassNYYfan
02-06-06, 10:28 AM
Right on, Duke is overrated, it's tough to lose games when you have a 43-11 differential in FT attempts. As far as A-Rod is concerned, I'm very disappointed, but no one's perfect.
43-11 and 37-13 in the last 2 games?

Duke just doesn't foul anybody while everyone else hacks Duke to bits. :lol:

As for Coack K, there's always some good stuff to read about him over at truthaboutduke.com :)

yankswn23
02-06-06, 11:09 AM
Lets just hope Jeter is a UNC fan, and we win this Tuesday.. GO HEELS!

YankClipper5
02-06-06, 11:17 AM
Lets just hope Jeter is a UNC fan, and we win this Tuesday.. GO HEELS!

Please, that would just be fodder for the first losing streak or a play when Jete gets on A-Rod to further the A-rod/Jeter feud on the tabloid sports pages.

QueenGRH
02-06-06, 11:29 AM
Coach Krywyzerskieskehsicheafskichefski...

:) :) :) Ha ha ha :) :) :)

HouseThatRingsBuild
02-06-06, 12:00 PM
Do duke fans even do the chop? I thought they just up and down and grown.

RI Dawg
02-06-06, 12:01 PM
Dick Vitale is to Duke as Peter Gammons is to the Red Sox...

NyQuil
02-06-06, 12:20 PM
Make me like him even more now. Two years back when hating Duke became the cool thing to do and I decided to like a team outside of UB and Syracuse. I picked Duke.

yankeesAZ
02-06-06, 12:27 PM

By Bret Strelow

No one is perfect!

FMITK2005
02-06-06, 12:32 PM
I find it interesting that most of you Yankees fans feel that way about Duke, when that's how most people feel about are very own YANKEES. :D

StaceyRosie
02-06-06, 12:36 PM
I find it interesting that most of you Yankees fans feel that way about Duke, when that's how most people feel about are very own YANKEES. :D

That's what I always say! I'm a Duke fan. Since high school. I wish I had had the grades to go there :( Oh well.

MattUNC2003
02-06-06, 12:44 PM

Hey, I've got an excuse...I go to Chapel Hill.

Mr. Mxylsplk
02-06-06, 01:05 PM
He went to West Point I believe
That's correct. He also coached there for 5 years before coming to Duke.

RI Dawg
02-06-06, 01:16 PM
Hey, I've got an excuse...I go to Chapel Hill.

I've got an excuse too........but I went to UConn.......

YankyDave
02-06-06, 02:41 PM
I have no excuse, GO DUKE!!

Jace
02-06-06, 03:41 PM

I agree. I'm not a Duke fan, but I respect their program alot and I watch a good amount of their games (they always get televised anyway so i guess everyone does). They walk around the country with targets on their backs, everyone hates them, including the teams they play. Those teams see the Duke game as their game of the year, and they get incredibly psyched and energized for it, but for Duke, that game is just 1 of 30. They have to get up for every single one and match the energy level of their competition, and I think it takes an amazing program to manage that. It reminds me a lot of the Yankees, but to a higher degree because basketball is more energy and momentum based than baseball.

They definitely get some favorable calls, especially at home, and they got outplayed Saturday night, but they play good, exciting basketball and they really never have big letdowns.

He doesn't recruit criminals or let anyone be bigger than the team.

Wasn't Sheldon Williams accused of rape or something? Coach K is a great coach, but I have always been kinda suspicious of when he had that "back problem" or w/e in the mid 90s and couldn't coach when his team sucked.

Mr. Mxylsplk
02-06-06, 05:31 PM
Wasn't Sheldon Williams accused of rape or something?
Yes. But the accuser dropped the charges before anyone was arrested, and apparently had once previously filed charges with police about a sexual assault and then withdrew them later.

NYYMazda
02-06-06, 06:23 PM
Yes. But the accuser dropped the charges before anyone was arrested, and apparently had once previously filed charges with police about a sexual assault and then withdrew them later.
Sounds like a real credible witness/defendent eh? No, sounds like some chick who is upset and wants to hurt his rep.
Besides, my point was that Coach Kryswywskjdfioajof's players never (or nearly never) get into trouble, and I love that, especially in this day and age of Marcus Vicks (btw, i hope he goes undrafted, what a @#$%).

MassNYYfan
02-06-06, 06:49 PM
If I was a girl and I woke up next to Shelden Williams that would be the first thought that crossed my mind, too. :D

NYYMazda
02-06-06, 07:29 PM
If I was a girl and I woke up next to Shelden Williams that would be the first thought that crossed my mind, too. :D
ZING! Ouch, I felt that one :lol:

Mariano226
02-06-06, 07:56 PM
Dick Vitale is to Duke as Peter Gammons is to the Red Sox...

he's also a monster yankee fan, which is why we love him

tony kornheiser on pti just had this whole thing where they discussed how duke was the yankees of college hoops.

effdamets
02-16-06, 08:55 AM
I think I like A-Rod more now!

Now that I know he is a Duke basketball fan! GO DUKE!

(not to mention Miami Hurricanes football fan)

KevinBaseball
02-16-06, 10:49 AM

That's exactly how I feel, teams that are subject to nationwide hatred simply because they are the best at what they do need to stick together. Hypocrites.

Chacon
02-17-06, 06:39 PM
When you see him out of uniform like that it just makes you realize how freaking huge he is

MassNYYfan
02-17-06, 11:48 PM
That's exactly how I feel, teams that are subject to nationwide hatred simply because they are the best at what they do need to stick together. Hypocrites.

Who do you like in football? Pro and NCAA.