PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Numbers

Steph19
01-25-06, 08:41 PM
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=nyy

Robbie Cano keeps #22.

Jaret Wrights surrenders #33 for... Kelly Stinnett?! Shows how much the Yanks think of him, I guess. He is now #34.

Farnsworth is 48. Dotel is 29. Myers is 36. Villone is 47.

Cairo will take 14, Phillips 12. Bubba goes back to 19 and Damon takes over 18.

Now that all that is settled, I am off to buy my Kelly Stinnett jersey. ;)

Why Not?
01-25-06, 08:46 PM
More New Jersey numbers

http://www.state.nj.us/lottery/
:-poke-:

Steph19
01-25-06, 08:51 PM
More New Jersey numbers

Haha, wow. I don't know how I didn't see that in the thread title.

DandyAndy46
01-25-06, 09:11 PM

Robbie Cano keeps #22.

Jaret Wrights surrenders #33 for... Kelly Stinnett?! Shows how much the Yanks think of him, I guess. He is now #34.

Farnsworth is 48. Dotel is 29. Myers is 36. Villone is 47.

Cairo will take 14, Phillips 12. Bubba goes back to 19 and Damon takes over 18.

Now that all that is settled, I am off to buy my Kelly Stinnett jersey. ;)

Wright probably wanted to get rid of 33 since he didn't exactly have a great year...surprised he didn't take his old number (27) and no takers on #17....interesting....maybe they'll be retiring John Flaherty's number this year...

YanksForLife
01-25-06, 10:15 PM
I bought a home #33 jersey with no name on the back when we signed Vazquez, now I have a Stinnett jersey.:-notfunny

NewEraYanks2527
01-25-06, 10:52 PM
Once I strip the name off the back of my Clemens Warm Up Jersey I will have a Cano Jersey.

stupidpunchline
01-26-06, 12:53 AM
Availible Numbers

17, 21*, 24, 26, 27, 30, 38, 46, 50, 52, 53, 54, 57, 58, 59, 60

Why doesn't anyone take 30? That's such a cool number.

puckmaster87
01-26-06, 01:26 AM
Availible Numbers

Yeah, 21's not gonna be taken by anyone, maybe ever again.

Panamaniac42
01-26-06, 01:35 AM
I bought a home #33 jersey with no name on the back when we signed Vazquez, now I have a Stinnett jersey.:-notfunny

At least you know Stinnett is a short term thing and you'll have a quick turnover and possibly get a good player wearing 33 in the future.

yanksconstantino24
01-26-06, 05:57 AM
Availible Numbers

It could be that the organization is not allowing that number to be distributed, kinda like they are doing with the #21.

I thought Wright would wear 27 after Brown left, but I can't blame him if he doesn't want to wear Kevin Brown's number.

I would love to see Eric Duncan be the next Yankee to wear #24 (unless Tino wears it as a member of the coaching staff in '07). It would be fitting, especially since he already shares a birthday with Tino.

BillBuckner
01-26-06, 06:51 AM
I thought you were predicting NJ Lottery numbers when I first saw the title.

effdamets
01-26-06, 07:25 AM
At least you know Stinnett is a short term thing and you'll have a quick turnover and possibly get a good player wearing 33 in the future.
I thought that when A-Rod came over, he'd take 33... Or at least 30 (yes it is a very cool number). When he took 13, I said to myself "is he crazy?".... Guess he's not superstitious! He had great season last year! And we are hoping for more.

Jaret Wright should be wearing double zero, representing the factor he should be this year!

mjdlight
01-26-06, 08:10 AM
Jaret Wright should be wearing double zero, representing the factor he should be this year!

Jaret Wright's 2006 Cy Young Season: 23-2, 2.95 ERA. :)

The jersey numbers situation with the Yankees is getting pretty silly. Assuming 2 and 6 (I'm not so sure about 6, but even if Torre doesn't get another ring, 4 WS is hard to argue with) get retired in due time, the Yankees will have no single digits left. That's a bit odd. Many times it has been suggested that the Yanks go to the Toronto Maple Leafs' system of retired numbers and honored numbers (which still can be worn). Question is, whose numbers would you retire, and which would you move down to honored status? It's an incredibly tough call.

Me, just thinking off the top of my head:

1 Billy Martin (Honored)

3 Babe Ruth (Retired)

4 Lou Gehrig (Retired)

5 Joe Dimaggio (Retired)

7 Mickey Mantle (Retired)

8 Yogi Berra/Bill Dickey (Retired)

9 Roger Maris (Honored)

10 Phil Rizzuto (Honored)

15 Thurman Munson (Retired)

16 Whitey Ford (Retired)

23 Don Mattingly (Honored)

32 Elston Howard (Honored)

37 Casey Stengal (Retired)

42 Jackie Robinson/Mariano Rivera :) (Retired)

44 Reggie Jackson (Honored)

49 Ron Guidry (Honored)

MisterNovember
01-26-06, 08:13 AM
Yeah, 21's not gonna be taken by anyone, maybe ever again.

I love Paulie, but his number should not be retired.

effdamets
01-26-06, 08:20 AM
Oh my.....

I'm willing to bet it will take 3 seasons for Jaret Wright to reach 23 victories

mjdlight
01-26-06, 08:22 AM
Oh my.....

I'm willing to bet it will take 3 seasons for Jaret Wright to reach 23 victories

Jaret would do better if he could just learn to get his face out of the way of the ball! :)

effdamets
01-26-06, 08:26 AM

The jersey numbers situation with the Yankees is getting pretty silly. Assuming 2 and 6 (I'm not so sure about 6, but even if Torre doesn't get another ring, 4 WS is hard to argue with) get retired in due time, the Yankees will have no single digits left. That's a bit odd. Many times it has been suggested that the Yanks go to the Toronto Maple Leafs' system of retired numbers and honored numbers (which still can be worn). Question is, whose numbers would you retire, and which would you move down to honored status? It's an incredibly tough call.

1 Billy Martin (Honored)

3 Babe Ruth (Retired)

4 Lou Gehrig (Retired)

5 Joe Dimaggio (Retired)

9 Roger Maris (Honored)

16 Whitey Ford (Retired)

49 Ron Guidry (Honored)
Players that have played their entire careers as Yankees, and of course, have had outstanding careers, should be retired. Mattingly and Guidry should have their numbers retired, to me, more than Reggie.

effdamets
01-26-06, 08:28 AM
Jaret would do better if he could just learn to get his face out of the way of the ball! :)
I think it would be better for the Yankees , if Jaret found a way to keep his body from taking the mound at all this season..... :D

gamesix1977
01-26-06, 09:06 AM
Availible Numbers

17 = Ben Davis
26 = Al Leiter
27 = Russ Johnson
30 = Kris Wilson
38 = Ramiro Mendoza
46 = Jason Anderson
58 = Colter Bean and Sean Henn??
60 = Will Nieves

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/roster_nri.jsp?c_id=nyy
and

RhodyYanksFan
01-26-06, 09:16 AM

I'm actually glad my #33 jersey has Soriano's name on it. Rookie year!

BRNXBMRS
01-26-06, 09:29 AM

1 Billy Martin (Honored)

3 Babe Ruth (Retired)

4 Lou Gehrig (Retired)

5 Joe Dimaggio (Retired)

9 Roger Maris (Honored)

16 Whitey Ford (Retired)

49 Ron Guidry (Honored)

I think it will be an insult to those players who have their #'s retired only to have them re-issued. Can you imagine a bench/roll player wearing one of the honored #'s?

DontHateOnNumber2
01-26-06, 09:53 AM
I think it will be an insult to those players who have their #'s retired only to have them re-issued. Can you imagine a bench/roll player wearing one of the honored #'s?

No sir, no I cannot.

costanza35
01-26-06, 01:49 PM
i'm still pissed about my authentic soriano jersey becoming a Womack and now Phillips jersey.

Since then i've been too cheap to buy anything other than those modell's 15 dollar player shirts, although i think it's time to spend the cash on an authentic Mariano jersey :D

DandyAndy46
01-26-06, 02:15 PM
I thought that when A-Rod came over, he'd take 33... Or at least 30 (yes it is a very cool number). When he took 13, I said to myself "is he crazy?".... Guess he's not superstitious! He had great season last year! And we are hoping for more.

Would have been difficult to give A-Rod #30 since Willie Randolph was wearing it at the time...

DandyAndy46
01-26-06, 02:20 PM

1 Billy Martin (Honored)

3 Babe Ruth (Retired)

4 Lou Gehrig (Retired)

5 Joe Dimaggio (Retired)

9 Roger Maris (Honored)

16 Whitey Ford (Retired)

49 Ron Guidry (Honored)

For discussion regarding retired numbers...

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=90830&highlight=retired+numbers

Evil Empire
01-26-06, 02:27 PM
Whats the difference between honoring and retiring?

Boogiedown Bomber
01-26-06, 06:05 PM
More New Jersey numbers

:lol: :lol:

nyankegreg
01-26-06, 08:01 PM
No one wears 30 because, if im not mistaken, that was Willie's number up until last year when he left, and you've gotta think it will be retired.

MiamiKat
01-26-06, 08:46 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/sportscentury/inline/marino.jpg

That's why A-Rod went with #13. He's a big Dolphins -- and Dan Marino -- fan.

mhmajp
01-26-06, 08:51 PM
I'm actually glad my #33 jersey has Soriano's name on it. Rookie year!

Me too.

-tz
01-27-06, 12:34 AM
Maybe they should just start all over again with Roman numerals. That way, I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX and X would all be available! :lol:

gamesix1977
01-27-06, 08:10 AM
No one wears 30 because, if im not mistaken, that was Willie's number up until last year when he left, and you've gotta think it will be retired.

According to

#30 is now Kris Wilson.

destiNY
01-27-06, 04:13 PM
More New Jersey numbers

haha yeah I was thinking the same thing then considered myself an idiot for thinking that when I first clicked on it. Anyway, thanks for the update, gotta get those numbers solidified in my head before spring training!

destiNY
01-27-06, 04:14 PM

Great question that no one has yet to answer...

YankClipper5
01-28-06, 09:07 AM
Great question that no one has yet to answer...

From my understanding based on the earlier post, honored numbers can still be worn, which I don't know that I agree with it because say the likes of an Andy Phillips requests 23 or 15 or the similar, I mean where is the honor in that. I say retire the numbers, it is a nod to the proud history of the team. I have particular issues because where do you determine honor vs. retire? HOF I was thinking but by suggestions, Scooter was suggested to have an honored number, and while he may not be totally HOF deserving, he was still bestowed that honor. And then you have a guy like Mattingly who was arguably the best and most beloved Yankee of his era, how do you not give him the honor of retiring his number? Maybe at some point something will have to be done, but I think we are still a ways off.

penguin4
01-29-06, 01:09 AM
What I think they should do is "freeze" numbers for a certain amount of time without actually retiring them. Sort of the way after Tino left (the first time) the Yankees unofficially honored his service by not issuing #24 throughout 2002. Only make it longer, say, 10-15 years. Just look how long it took them to retire Guidry. Which doesn't make much sense. If a player's good/legendary enough to have his number retired, why not do it right away? What changes if you wait several years?

And if it were up to me -- I know we can't "unretire" numbers -- but if it were, I'd "unretire" all but 3, 4, 5, and 7. Give the rest of them plaques or monuments or whatever. But those four are in such a class above anyone else ever to put on the pinstripes, or baseball in general. Maybe retire 37 for Casey, cause it aint every day one man wins 10 pennants (in 12 seasons!) and seven World Series (including five straight). But other than that, not to take away from Yogi and Whitey and Mattingly and the rest, but you let one in, you have to let them all in.

PuffNettles9
01-29-06, 09:47 AM
the Yankees will have no single digits left. That's a bit odd.

NOT entirely true......ZERO is still available =)

Grape Ape
01-29-06, 06:09 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/sportscentury/inline/marino.jpg

That's why A-Rod went with #13. He's a big Dolphins -- and Dan Marino -- fan.

Oh great. We're screwed now.

BobbyMurcerFan
01-29-06, 07:48 PM
I wonder if/when the Yankees will become the first team to have a three digit jersey?

BillBuckner
01-29-06, 09:16 PM
According to

#30 is now Kris Wilson.
Who the hell is Kris Wilson? :wtf:

penguin4
01-30-06, 02:23 AM
Who the hell is Kris Wilson? :wtf:
What Anna Benson calls her lovechild with Mookie Wilson? Damn, I guess her husband did cheat on her.

drjeckyl
01-30-06, 06:33 AM
I wonder if/when the Yankees will become the first team to have a three digit jersey?

Fractions are also a possibility..

"now batting..... number 3 point 5.. shortstop... C.J. Henry.... number 3 point 5"... :D

-tz
01-30-06, 07:55 AM

"now batting..... number 3 point 5.. shortstop... C.J. Henry.... number 3 point 5"... :D

Or negative numbers! Minus One, Minus Two, Minus Three etc. ... :P

Stupid Flanders
01-30-06, 10:35 AM

It wouldn't be the first time. Just ask Eddie Gaedel.

BillBuckner
01-30-06, 10:54 AM
He can challenge Bronson Arroyo for the Cy Young.

gamesix1977
01-31-06, 08:15 AM
He can challenge Bronson Arroyo for the Cy Young.

You mean Brandon Arroyo :P

Maynerd
01-31-06, 11:05 AM

I'd want to be π. Now batting......Maynerd......Pi.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-31-06, 11:28 AM
I'd want to be π. Now batting......Maynerd......Pi.
I tried to get that on a hockey jersey once. No dice, very disappointing.

Snap731
01-31-06, 04:29 PM

If we're going with the Toronto Maple Leafs system it means the following: if a player is permenantly incapacitated or if he dies while in your uniform, the number is retired. I believe the two Maple Leafs whose numbers are retired are Ace Bailey (#6) and Bill Barilko (#5). Ace Bailey was disabled in a game and Bill Barilko died in a plane crash.

So under those rules, the Yanks would have retired #4 and #15 I guess and 'honored' everyone else.

When a number is 'honored' it remains in circulationb but if you wear that number you also wear a special Maple Leafs patch that commemorates that player. And honored numbers are raised to the rafters at the Air Canada Center.

penguin4
01-31-06, 11:14 PM
It wouldn't be the first time. Just ask Eddie Gaedel.
I wondered if they outlawed that, too, along with 3'7" players.