PDA

View Full Version : W. Virginia gym classes to have DDR

RhodyYanksFan
01-25-06, 01:35 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2006-01-24-ddr-gym-class_x.htm

I know it's a good workout, but this sounds like a waste of money seeing as how kids can play tag or basketball or soccer or kickball for free in gym class.

JWHIII
01-25-06, 01:42 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2006-01-24-ddr-gym-class_x.htm

I know it's a good workout, but this sounds like a waste of money seeing as how kids can play tag or basketball or soccer or kickball for free in gym class.
I agree, what a waste of money. Playing sports in gym was fun and alot cheaper.

Arod for President
01-25-06, 01:59 PM
Holy Crap I think thats stupid!

Thank God I live in NY

bagger015
01-25-06, 02:11 PM
:eek: WOW..........the children of the state could lower the obesity rate by not doing bicep curls with donuts...........;)

YankyDave
01-25-06, 02:23 PM
Hey, it beats crab soccer.

Seriously though I think it's an okay idea. Too often the kids who need the exercise the most, the fat ones, are the ones who get the least playing time in other games.

PettittesPrincess
01-25-06, 02:31 PM
Who cares? As long as they're being active and getting excerise then why does it really matter?

Bernie51
01-25-06, 02:41 PM
This is actually a really good idea. I've had DDR in my house before it was even popular or before anyone in the states knew what the hell it was and I was addicted. So addicted in fact that I lost a ton of weight from playing it all day long after school. Now, I lost interest in it but those were the days man.

SuperMario66
01-25-06, 02:48 PM
I don't see a problem with it. Anything to get kids moving.

krystl
01-25-06, 02:59 PM
Gym class is fine for all kids most of the time. But if the kid is overweight and lacks interest in traditional gym games, I could see DDR as being a fun addition for a gym class.

However, some kids (boys included) I have seen are so good at it, it might make some kids feel inferior or they may get laughed at for looking dopey while trying to get the steps right. It's more fun in the privacy of your own home where no one but the dog can laugh at you. :)

PinstripePride
01-25-06, 03:16 PM
I say go for it. If it gets kids in this country active, then it's a blessing - we're in a downward spiral of inactivity and obesity.

The only time it sucks is when the damn kid down the hall finds the need to do it at 1:30 am and wake up half the dorm with the damn thumping. F*cking toolbox.

SuperMario66
01-25-06, 03:28 PM
I say go for it. If it gets kids in this country active, then it's a blessing - we're in a downward spiral of inactivity and obesity.

They are greatly decreasing the amount of time that elementary students have to spend in gym class. In Oklahoma, they are only required to have an ONE HOUR a week of gym. Not even kidding. That isn't enough to do anything. Plus, kids are just eating bigger portions like all the rest of us. Something desperately needs to change.

NYYBombshell
01-25-06, 03:37 PM

The only time it sucks is when the damn kid down the hall finds the need to do it at 1:30 am and wake up half the dorm with the damn thumping. F*cking toolbox.

:lol:

I had someone on the floor above me last semester playing DDR all night........it sounded like a herd of elephants stampeding across the Serengeti.

NYYBombshell
01-25-06, 03:39 PM
They are greatly decreasing the amount of time that elementary students have to spend in gym class. In Oklahoma, they are only required to have an ONE HOUR a week of gym. Not even kidding. That isn't enough to do anything. Plus, kids are just eating bigger portions like all the rest of us. Something desperately needs to change.

One hour? In my grade school, we had gym 3 times a week and when it was warm, Fridays would be spent at the YMCA that was near us and we'd go swimming.

When I was in high school, we had gym/PE twice a week and it was 50 minutes each, so if you count in the time it takes to change clothes, that's 2 hours a week. Usually something like Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday depending on your schedule.

RhodyYanksFan
01-25-06, 03:58 PM
When I was in HS we had gym every other day for a period (46 minutes I think). So we either had it 2 or 3 times a week.

Trish
01-25-06, 03:59 PM
Who cares? As long as they're being active and getting excerise then why does it really matter?

I agree. Kids can relate much more to DDR than to field hockey or running track.

PinstripePride
01-25-06, 04:02 PM

Not to mention that outside of school, a crazy number of kids would rather spend time in front of the computer than go outside and play around, get fresh air and some excercise. And I'll readily admit to being guilty of that. I spend more time online than I should, and I know it, but damnit, at least I take the time to go to the gym often.

:lol:

I had someone on the floor above me last semester playing DDR all night........it sounded like a herd of elephants stampeding across the Serengeti.

What the hell is wrong with people? Are they dumb or just straight up inconsiderate?

Chesbro41
01-25-06, 04:54 PM
When I was in HS and Middle School we had gym everyday for like 45 minutes. I think in grade school it was once a week

krystl
01-25-06, 05:17 PM
I agree. Kids can relate much more to DDR than to field hockey or running track.
Then we can tell our grandkids about how we used to have to run the track in gym, and they'll look at us like we have 3 eyes (like my kids do when I tell them we didn't have cellphones, computers, answering machines, etc!) :lol:

krystl
01-25-06, 05:19 PM
When I was in HS and Middle School we had gym everyday for like 45 minutes. I think in grade school it was once a week
My son is in 4th grade and they have gym twice a week. I love the gym teachers. They really get involved with the kids and actually play the games with them (well, at least one of the gym teachers!)
Also, they have recess after lunch every day and they play kickball, off the wall, basketball, etc.

Trish
01-25-06, 05:20 PM
Then we can tell our grandkids about how we used to have to run the track in gym, and they'll look at us like we have 3 eyes (like my kids do when I tell them we didn't have cellphones, computers, answering machines, etc!) :lol:
We really are relics, huh? :( :D

#1PaFan
01-25-06, 05:40 PM
We really are relics, huh? :( :D

Yes. Yes you are.

:gulp:

DiMaggio5CF
01-25-06, 09:28 PM
While this particular video game increases activity, I think that kids are fat because of video games. Kids already sit in their rooms all day and play video games, and while DDR is the exception, most of the games only make the problem worse.

The reason that kids play video games all day is that there are no other games to play. Everyone plays video games and no one goes outside to play.

Gym class should focus on team sports (which also teach the whole sportsmanship thang) to show that playing outside can be more fun that inside.

Trish
01-26-06, 08:33 AM
Yes. Yes you are.

:gulp:
Well, we may be relics, but you're a fossil.

fredgmuggs
01-26-06, 08:46 AM
While this particular video game increases activity, I think that kids are fat because of video games. Kids already sit in their rooms all day and play video games, and while DDR is the exception, most of the games only make the problem worse.

The reason that kids play video games all day is that there are no other games to play. Everyone plays video games and no one goes outside to play.

Gym class should focus on team sports (which also teach the whole sportsmanship thang) to show that playing outside can be more fun that inside.

I know this sounds crazy but I think air conditioning has a lot to do with kids not getting enough exercise. When I was a kid, few people had air conditioning (and no one had central air conditioning). It was cooler outside the house.... so the kids would go outside and play. Now, who wants to go outside on hot days in the summer? It's more comfortable to hang out in the house and play video games. Anyhow, that's my theory.

DontHateOnNumber2
01-26-06, 09:38 AM
That's pretty dumb, this is probably to attract the kids who don't dress out or play, or the ones who dress out just for a grade but never participate. I remember those guys, I used to get them to play on my teams in gym back in high school a couple of years back and sometimes it worked. Most times it didn't.

DontHateOnNumber2
01-26-06, 09:40 AM

Sportsmanship, holla! My favorite outdoor gym sport? Softball! Indoor? Wiffle ball, crazy kickball, and basketball. ;)

The Yankee Kahuna
01-26-06, 10:41 AM
I like this idea because I always hated PE class. I'd always tried to get away with doing the least exercise possible. Now this changes the routine and encourages you to stay active and move. Plus if you get real good you can show off at the local arcade. :D

RhodyYanksFan
01-26-06, 11:02 AM
Sportsmanship, holla! My favorite outdoor gym sport? Softball! Indoor? Wiffle ball, crazy kickball, and basketball. ;)

You left out dodgeball.

LDG
01-26-06, 01:45 PM
Reminds me of this e-mail, especially the part about being outside playing all day:

"To all the kids who survived the 1930s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s!!"

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our bassinets and cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets; and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets; not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags. Riding in the back of a ute on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from it.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank lemonade with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K. We would spend hours building our billy-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we'd forgotten the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes..., we had no video games at all, no Pay TV channels, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given plastic guns for our birthday, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke very many eyes out.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell. Sometimes we would just walk in and say G'day. The door was never locked!

The Junior League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of our parents bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

A generation that has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.......! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU are one of them! One of that generation that had the luck to grow up as kids, before lawyers and governments regulated our lives for our own good."

cb2u
01-26-06, 02:38 PM
Re: DDR in gym class....what a great idea! I'm all for it. It's a great fun way to exercise.

My daughter wishes there were more options for gym activity, like aerobics, weight training, and dance. In fact, her and a friend went to the PE director to suggest it, but I don't know if anything will change. Many of the girls would rather do these sorts of activities, rather than football & volleyball.