PDA

View Full Version : West Wing Cancelled

Archer1979
01-22-06, 03:18 PM
This news sucks.

I mean it sucks big time. There's maybe two shows a week that I plan my night around and West Wing is one of them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060122/ap_en_tv/tv_nbc_west_wing

Stacey, we need to do something to fix this and pronto!

JDPNYY
01-22-06, 03:21 PM
This news sucks.

I mean it sucks big time. There's maybe two shows a week that I plan my night around and West Wing is one of them.

We can still hope that a Network with half a brain might pick it up? Can't we?

yankeebot
01-22-06, 03:24 PM
I heard this earlier today. I agree, it sucks, but it is the kiss of death to take a long-running show out of its longterm time slot and move it to Sunday night. Unfortunately, I saw this one coming back in September.

Casey37
01-22-06, 03:32 PM
I really hate this. This is one of my favorite shows along with Law & Order. I do hope another network picks it up.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-22-06, 03:32 PM
Did Jimmy Smits get killed off again?

thecaptain
01-22-06, 03:34 PM
Sunday nights killed it

Big_E
01-22-06, 03:48 PM
Man, that sucks. One of my favorite shows. Of course, with a major cast change coming up even if the show continues, maybe it's for the best. Decide the election then fade into the sunset.

38Special
01-22-06, 03:52 PM
Another horrible NBC show gone. Now if they could finally put ER (or the shell of ER), out of its friggin misery too, the world would be a better place

SuperMario66
01-22-06, 04:02 PM
West Wing was still at least kinda good. I used to love ER. It's just laughable now.

ZYanksRule
01-22-06, 04:38 PM
That's awful. A truly special show, I always watch it when I find it on Bravo....

RhodeyYankee2638
01-22-06, 04:44 PM
West Wing was still at least kinda good. I used to love ER. It's just laughable now.

Everytime I watch ER, a friggen helicopter crashes directly infront of the doors of the hospital, which is simply amazing

NYYBombshell
01-22-06, 04:55 PM
This news sucks.

:mad:

I love that show. Someone better pick it up.

Sam18
01-22-06, 05:14 PM
Good. Now onto ER.

NYDCYankee
01-22-06, 05:16 PM
I am upset The Office is going to end this season in March. Does anyone know if it has been picked up for next year?

JDPNYY
01-22-06, 05:18 PM
Maybe NBC should be cancelled.

Sam18
01-22-06, 05:18 PM
I am upset The Office is going to end this season in March. Does anyone know if it has been picked up for next year?

WHAT? Why do these networks hate good TV shows?

Stealthspy
01-22-06, 05:19 PM
Another horrible NBC show gone. Now if they could finally put ER (or the shell of ER), out of its friggin misery too, the world would be a better placeI have to agree. I don't know about horrible, but I didn't like either show.

Sam18
01-22-06, 05:19 PM

Jey Leno thinks so.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-22-06, 05:20 PM
WHAT? Why do these networks hate good TV shows?

I love Steve Carrell, but compared to the original, this Office sucks

JDPNYY
01-22-06, 05:20 PM
Jey Leno thinks so.

He should be the first person to go.

Sam18
01-22-06, 05:25 PM

I never seen the original.

PettittesPrincess
01-22-06, 05:25 PM
Darn.

Coney36
01-22-06, 06:41 PM

Not if it means there will be no more Law & Order. :eek:

thecaptain
01-22-06, 06:42 PM
I am upset The Office is going to end this season in March. Does anyone know if it has been picked up for next year?Yes it was pick up for next season

texasyankee
01-22-06, 07:29 PM
Who cares? The show was a friggin' farce. Good riddance. Start watching TWC for some good action.

PalmerGA
01-22-06, 07:31 PM
Maybe NBC should be cancelled.That would be alright, too. They made a good start by sh*t-canning WW. I can't stand Martin Sheen. Freakin' butthead. :D

NYDCYankee
01-22-06, 07:40 PM

I actually think Steve Carrell is the worst thing about the US edition. I think the rest of the cast is great. Ricky Gervais was amazing as the boss Carrell doesn't even come close to as funny or deep. I still like the US edition but I guess compared to the UK edition of The Office this one does suck. I personally think the UK office is the best sitcom that has ever been on television.

I will say though to those who haven't seen the UK Office and enjoy the US Office don't watch the original version. Because it is so much better then the US version that it kind of ruins it.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-22-06, 07:59 PM
I actually think Steve Carrell is the worst thing about the US edition. I think the rest of the cast is great. Ricky Gervais was amazing as the boss Carrell doesn't even come close to as funny or deep. I still like the US edition but I guess compared to the UK edition of The Office this one does suck. I personally think the UK office is the best sitcom that has ever been on television.

I will say though to those who haven't seen the UK Office and enjoy the US Office don't watch the original version. Because it is so much better then the US version that it kind of ruins it.

Exactly. The UK version was just amazing. NBC hypes all of these shows as must see, but compared to other shows on TV, its third rate. Sadly though, I think what they have on now if funnier than a lot of the stuff they had on before. I've watched Friends. Talk about forced comedy, so stupid and worthless

RhodyYanksFan
01-22-06, 08:18 PM
Exactly. The UK version was just amazing. NBC hypes all of these shows as must see, but compared to other shows on TV, its third rate. Sadly though, I think what they have on now if funnier than a lot of the stuff they had on before. I've watched Friends. Talk about forced comedy, so stupid and worthless

What I like about the US Office is the other characters. There's no Oscar or Stanley on the UK version. Carell is good, but the UK one is so much better just because they can get away with more on British TV.

Friends was the most over-hyped show ever. The Rolling Stones of sitcoms.

NYDCYankee
01-22-06, 08:28 PM
What I like about the US Office is the other characters. There's no Oscar or Stanley on the UK version. Carell is good, but the UK one is so much better just because they can get away with more on British TV.

I think the other main charactars in the US version are better too. However, David Brent was such a great character and Ricky Gervais did such a great job it really catapulted the show. I don't think it was just because he could get away with more, he was just flat out better.

NYDCYankee
01-22-06, 08:29 PM
Sadly though, I think what they have on now if funnier than a lot of the stuff they had on before. I've watched Friends. Talk about forced comedy, so stupid and worthless

I actually don't find many sitcoms funny (I don't really count the Simpsons). But Earl and Office actually are really funny compared to what NBC has had and compared to what is on the rest of the networks.

JDPNYY
01-22-06, 08:43 PM
Great episode of West Wing tonight. One of the best ever.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-22-06, 09:04 PM
Friends was the most over-hyped show ever. .

I dont know how people think it was funny. I watched some episode were they sang about a smelly cat. It tried to be like Seinfeld, creating pop culture phrases and such

Random
01-23-06, 06:36 PM
Obviously the move to Sunday really hurt, but I think Rob Lowe leaving was the beginning of the end.

Bozidar
01-23-06, 10:04 PM
it's a shame, but it really had jumped the shark.

Like happy days, they made some entertaining television even after that landmark, but it's time to go...

JDPNYY
01-23-06, 10:07 PM
it's a shame, but it really had jumped the shark.

Like happy days, they made some entertaining television even after that landmark, but it's time to go...

Have you been logging on to jump the shark or watching Happy Days?

Archer1979
01-23-06, 10:09 PM
If Boz can double JTS-post then I can double-do this post:

Stacey,

Every week that they don't have a new West Wing episode, I will instruct Pat Robertson to tell God to kill a kitten.

Bring that message to your bosses.

Thanks.

JDPNYY
01-23-06, 10:10 PM
Bring back Dule'

Archer1979
01-23-06, 10:11 PM
Bring back Dule'

Rumor is Rob Lowe may be back in May.

JDPNYY
01-23-06, 10:13 PM
Rumor is Rob Lowe may be back in May.

Perhaps to run as VP, eh?

JDPNYY
01-23-06, 10:14 PM
I think we'd be better off if they cancelled the real West Wing instead.

Archer1979
01-23-06, 10:19 PM
Perhaps to run as VP, eh?

My scenario was to have Leo go like they used to write out guys on LA Law, with a little pinache.

Opening scene: Josh gets a late night phone call. On the other end, it's that perky blonde press seceratary in hysterics. It seems she and Leo...

Cue the theme music.

What do you think?

JDPNYY
01-23-06, 10:22 PM
My scenario was to have Leo go like they used to write out guys on LA Law, with a little pinache.

Opening scene: Josh gets a late night phone call. On the other end, it's that perky blonde press seceratary in hysterics. It seems she and Leo...

Cue the theme music.

What do you think?

Could be. John Spencer was on LA Law (Tommy Mullaney).

Evil Empire
01-23-06, 10:22 PM

Cue the theme music.

What do you think?

This Josh fellow shouldn't pick up the phone late at night.

Archer1979
01-23-06, 10:30 PM
Could be. John Spencer was on LA Law (Tommy Mullaney).

That's another show that NBC screwed up.

This Josh fellow shouldn't pick up the phone late at night.

The funniest scene I remember is when Josh's soon-to-be girlfriend is over at his house at 5:00 am. They're arguing over the number os times they made out. She leaves the apartment. The phone rings. Josh answers it and details each and every circumstance where they made out. Scene cuts to Leo on the phone... "That's all very good Josh. Can you get dressed? We need you to come in right away".

By the way... the best ever scene of the show was with Bartlett yelling in church in Latin at the altar after Mrs. Landingham's funeral.

JDPNYY
01-23-06, 10:31 PM
By the way... the best ever scene of the show was with Bartlett yelling in church in Latin at the altar after Mrs. Landingham's funeral.

Agreed

PeteRFNY
01-23-06, 11:12 PM
They made a good start by sh*t-canning WW. I can't stand Martin Sheen. Freakin' butthead. :D

Amen. brudder! ;)

It's that old Hollywood chestnut: 'Things aren't going our way, so we'll create a fantasy world that we can kinda pretend is real and hide in it'! :P

Now if they will put ER out of its' misery...seeing older episodes in reruns just emphasises how terrible the show has gottem. Really terrible.

Random
01-24-06, 04:33 AM
I read somewhere that the end of the show will be Bartlett getting on Air Force One to return to New Hampshire, and the new President getting sworn in. So, all of this hype, and then as soon as we find out who wins, the show's over.

On a related note, they blew through 7.5 years of Bartlett's presidency in about six years, but somehow the 4 months from the primaries to the general election took about a year. I think that had something to do with the low ratings as well.

Big_E
01-24-06, 05:30 AM
It's that old Hollywood chestnut: 'Things aren't going our way, so we'll create a fantasy world that we can kinda pretend is real and hide in it'! :P
"West Wing" debuted during the Clinton administration.

allybear
01-24-06, 07:25 AM
I like the "West Wing" and my politics are nothing like the Bartlet administration's (for that matter, neither are Martin Sheen's in real life, at least on some issues). Although I do think that Jed Bartlet would be a better President than most of the ones I've seen in my lifetime, but that's why it's TV! I do think that it kind of jumped the shark when it turned into a soap opera over the last two years, but then it righted itself last year and got really good, but the damage was done, I guess and the move to Sunday (in a really tough time spot, I spend that hour switching between WW, "Extreme Home Makeover" and that crime show on CBS - I watch that the least, so I'm not sure of the name - is that "Cold Case"?) was just too much.

It's JP's favorite show - I don't know what he's going to do when it's over.

Bozidar
01-24-06, 08:49 AM
Have you been logging on to jump the shark or watching Happy Days?Not sure what you mean.

Hitman23
01-24-06, 10:00 AM
to all you Friends haters....

Bozidar
01-24-06, 10:08 AM
to all you Friends haters....I guess that would go to all you friends likers too, since that was a hoax...

It seems there IS a limit to NBC's madness

Hitman23
01-24-06, 10:41 AM
I guess that would go to all you friends likers too, since that was a hoax...

It seems there IS a limit to NBC's madnessNo, just to the haters. We didn't start this war.

JDPNYY
01-24-06, 07:08 PM
Not sure what you mean.

I'm sorry.

PeteRFNY
01-24-06, 09:50 PM
"West Wing" debuted during the Clinton administration.

But spiraled out of control once THAT was put to bed.

I won't miss it. I never watched it, so I won't miss it.

Eldee5
03-27-06, 10:42 PM
Did anyone else catch Sunday night's West Wing episode? A funny Yankees reference:
It's Halloween and Toby Ziegler goes to his ex-wife's home to pick up his kids (boy/girl twins about 2 or 3 years old) for trick or treating. His daughter runs down the stairs saying, "Daddy, I'm a baseball player." She's dressed in an Orioles uniform. (Mom just happens to be a congresswoman from Maryland, who has dated an Orioles executive in a long-past episode.) Toby asks, "Where's all the Yankee stuff I've sent?", to which Congresswoman Wyatt replies, "She likes the little bird." At this point, the son comes running down the stairs also in an Orioles uni. "He likes what she likes", says mom.
Later in the ep., Toby's putting the twins to bed and on his sleeping son's bedpost, he hangs a Yankees' cap saying, "Trust me, you'll be happier." :D

Not the first Yankees references in a West Wing ep. I love the line in Posse Commitatus (one of the best WW eps.) where President Bartlet says, "The center fielder for the Yankees is an accomplished classical guitarist. People can't like books and baseball?" I always thought the shout out to Bernie was very cool!

I'll miss this show, even though it's a shell of its former self. Next week is the ep. where we discover that Leo has died. :(

JDPNYY
03-27-06, 11:34 PM
I caught that Eldee. Great line.

I'm still hoping some network will pick it up with the new administration.

Highly doubtful, but one can hope.

Nome
03-28-06, 06:09 AM
Another horrible NBC show gone. Now if they could finally put ER (or the shell of ER), out of its friggin misery too, the world would be a better place

The will replace them with five nights of fear factor :D :D

Andy

Nome
03-28-06, 06:14 AM
I like the "West Wing" and my politics are nothing like the Bartlet administration's (for that matter, neither are Martin Sheen's in real life, at least on some issues). Although I do think that Jed Bartlet would be a better President than most of the ones I've seen in my lifetime, but that's why it's TV! I do think that it kind of jumped the shark when it turned into a soap opera over the last two years, but then it righted itself last year and got really good, but the damage was done, I guess and the move to Sunday (in a really tough time spot, I spend that hour switching between WW, "Extreme Home Makeover" and that crime show on CBS - I watch that the least, so I'm not sure of the name - is that "Cold Case"?) was just too much.

It's JP's favorite show - I don't know what he's going to do when it's over.

Sorry, Ally. I disagree. I don't think a real life Jeb Bartlet would make a good President. We had one like him once, Jimmie Carter. Jimmie was a good man but too intellegent for his own good. He looked down on the intellegence of others and instead of soliciting advice from a diverse group of staff members he used his council only, the same as Bartlett does/did.

He makes a great character, but I think his administration, if in real life, would be pretty bad

Andy

Stupid Flanders
03-28-06, 06:16 AM
Jimmie was a good man but too intellegent for his own good. Maybe in his own mind

Random
03-28-06, 07:19 AM
I still can't believe how long they are dragging this election out. I think I said it before, but Bartlett's 8 years were covered in what, 6 seasons? Then the 3 months from the primary to the general takes another ENTIRE season?

There are what, 8-10 episodes left? And only five days til the election. I sure hope they don't take all 8 episodes to get through 5 days...

ZYanksRule
03-28-06, 11:42 AM
Election night is going to START this week, it ends with a "tragic discovery", obviously Leo, the following week is still election night.

I got all that from the TVGuide.com description....

BronxBaumer
03-28-06, 12:14 PM
I still can't believe how long they are dragging this election out. I think I said it before, but Bartlett's 8 years were covered in what, 6 seasons? Then the 3 months from the primary to the general takes another ENTIRE season?

There are what, 8-10 episodes left? And only five days til the election. I sure hope they don't take all 8 episodes to get through 5 days...

Actually, 7 seasons covered 6.5 years of the Bartlett admin as West Wing started in his second year as president.

Further, the last three to five episodes will conver the transition from Bartlett to Vinick/Santos.

corynnmarie
03-28-06, 03:51 PM
I used to watch this show in the first few seasons when I was 14/15. But then I think someone died and the plot got all weird, and I found shows that better suited a teenager.

But in any case - I think it's outlived its prime.