PDA

View Full Version : Torre's job security not at all in question

ZYanksRule
01-21-06, 10:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=klapisch_bob&id=2298669

Very nice article by Klapisch on how the FO has changed this offseason.

That'll give Torre room to breathe. And it doesn't hurt that GM Brian Cashman, his most loyal ally in the organization, has emerged as the most dominant figure in the baseball operations department.

Nothing in it we really don't know, but still a nice job by Bob to put it on paper.

JeffWeaverFan
01-21-06, 10:56 PM
It was a well written article... I'm just hopeful this is the last year of Torre. (Then again, I'd MUCH prefer we win the WS and Torre comes back for his last season).

ericns1
01-21-06, 11:02 PM
Good article and the important point is that stabilty reigns for now in Yankee land and that Cash kept Milton Bradley from coming to our team.

Yankees1962
01-21-06, 11:13 PM
Well, we know that Torre has been more active this offseason with the Yankees than previous offseasons. He's met with Cashman numerous times at Yankee Stadium. Right after New Years Day, just before he left for Hawaii, Torre had a 3-4 hour meeting with all of his coaches at Yankee Stadium which never happen before according to the New York Post.

Also, I think Bowa was suggested to Torre by Cashman.

Steph19
01-21-06, 11:16 PM
Good article and the important point is that stabilty reigns for now in Yankee land and that Cash kept Milton Bradley from coming to our team.

I still don't see how it's a positive thing that our FO wouldn't even consider trading for a young, talented centerfielder (and I know about the personality problems)... But, still, good for them. Definitely better to have Cash in charge then Tampa.

Yankees1962
01-21-06, 11:19 PM
I still don't see how it's a positive thing that our FO wouldn't even consider trading for a young, talented centerfielder (and I know about the personality problems)... But, still, good for them. Definitely better to have Cash in charge then Tampa.
Evidently, Cashman views him as a cancer in the clubhouse which would overshadow any contributions from him on the field of play.

JeffWeaverFan
01-21-06, 11:29 PM
Evidently, Cashman views him as a cancer in the clubhouse which would overshadow any contributions from him on the field of play.
Yeah, which is understandable. Stricly looking at his talent though, I would have loved to have gotten him.

hellonewman
01-22-06, 12:14 AM
"First on the agenda was the YES Network's postgame questions, which Torre felt were Steinbrenner's way of sabotaging him in public. The manager was convinced the network's reporters were encouraged, it not ordered, to challenge his decisions, a tactic that fooled no one, least of all Torre."

You know, I'm not one of the anti-Torre crew here, but come on Joe, Kim Jones isn't exactly Mike Wallace. I fail to see how YES was too tough on him at all.

DiMaggio5CF
01-22-06, 12:22 AM
Torre's job security is as safe as Cashman's position as the dominant figure of baseball operations, which will become suspect at the Yankees' first losing streak of the 2006 season.

NYYWilliams51
01-22-06, 01:08 AM

Despite his youth and talent, two teams have been desperate to send him as far away as possible. That speaks volumes.

Sam18
01-22-06, 02:03 AM
*sigh*

susan mullen
01-22-06, 02:33 AM
It was obvious Kim Jones was being forced to ask Torre ridiculous questions: a long question would include a bunch of unrelated stats designed to make Torre look bad. This
has been documented in the Daily News & acknowledged by Yes personnel. Kim was hired
because she had no background in baseball & could be manipulated by her bosses; she was nowhere near Mike Wallace, & that was the point. It got so bad
I couldn't watch the show anymore. If any of the advertisers had seen
it, they would've been horrified. I'm sure Kim is an otherwise lovely person.

parkerstrong
01-22-06, 03:45 AM
Torre doesnt bother me at all, but this article is written because the Yankees havent lost any games yet in 2006. I am more pro-Torre than anti-Torre, but if the Yankees somehow miss the playoffs I dont think he will be back. Thats the life and stress of being the Yankee skipper in this day and age.

montrealer
01-22-06, 09:32 AM
*sigh*

Starting already? :D

silverdsl
01-22-06, 01:43 PM
Torre doesnt bother me at all, but this article is written because the Yankees havent lost any games yet in 2006. I am more pro-Torre than anti-Torre, but if the Yankees somehow miss the playoffs I dont think he will be back. Thats the life and stress of being the Yankee skipper in this day and age.I agree. It's easy to write this kind of story now when things are rosy in Yankeeland because they added Damon, Cashman is back and everyone is getting along. As soon as the Yankees go into their first slump, which they will since every team eventually does even the best ones, there will be criticism of Torre and rumblings from Steinbrenner if things don't turn around quick enough for him.

-Deborah

Sam18
01-22-06, 02:14 PM
Starting already? :D

Never stopped. ;)

Don Mack
01-22-06, 02:23 PM
Never stopped. ;)
------------------------------------------------------
Me either. I've been wondering what it will take for Joe Torre to finally pilot a team to a WS win. Now they've got Damon in the lineup along with Jeter, ARod, Giambi, Sheffield, Matsui, Cano and probably Bernie and Posada to round it out. Why does this team seem to go cold in the playoffs?

In any event, like someone already noted, let's see what happens come the first losing streak. If Torre doesn't win with this team, then Steinbrenner has his back-up managers in place. Lou Pinella is waiting in the wings, Larry Bowa is coaching 3rd base and Lee Mazzilli is the bench boss. That's 3 former managers at the ready PLUS no more Mel around to screw pitchers up. If Torre doesn't manage to bring home the bacon, then I think he's done either during or after the 2006 season.

Cold Shad
01-22-06, 02:25 PM
Piniella. Unemployed.

Sam18
01-22-06, 06:33 PM
------------------------------------------------------
Me either. I've been wondering what it will take for Joe Torre to finally pilot a team to a WS win. Now they've got Damon in the lineup along with Jeter, ARod, Giambi, Sheffield, Matsui, Cano and probably Bernie and Posada to round it out. Why does this team seem to go cold in the playoffs?

In any event, like someone already noted, let's see what happens come the first losing streak. If Torre doesn't win with this team, then Steinbrenner has his back-up managers in place. Lou Pinella is waiting in the wings, Larry Bowa is coaching 3rd base and Lee Mazzilli is the bench boss. That's 3 former managers at the ready PLUS no more Mel around to screw pitchers up. If Torre doesn't manage to bring home the bacon, then I think he's done either during or after the 2006 season.

I don't know. I mean after what happend in 04' Torre didn't get fired and this year's team isn't as good as the 04' team. I doubt Joe goes if we don't win it all.

38Special
01-22-06, 07:26 PM
I don't know. I mean after what happend in 04' Torre didn't get fired and this year's team isn't as good as the 04' team. I doubt Joe goes if we don't win it all.

Yeah you're right, that pitching staff cant hold a candle to what we have now.

DiMaggio5CF
01-22-06, 07:55 PM

Every year that passes means that Steinbrenner owes Torre less, which means that it's more likely that Joe gets fired if the season is a disappointment.

01-29-06, 10:13 AM
I agree. It's easy to write this kind of story now when things are rosy in Yankeeland because they added Damon, Cashman is back and everyone is getting along. As soon as the Yankees go into their first slump, which they will since every team eventually does even the best ones, there will be criticism of Torre and rumblings from Steinbrenner if things don't turn around quick enough for him.

-Deborah

Thirded. A useless article, except for the fact that we got to read about the Yankees in ESPN without them being slammed.