PDA

View Full Version : Interview Advice - Please help

SubwayFanatic
01-19-06, 10:58 PM
I have an interview tomorrow for a job that I am not too thrilled about, but if offered I would take it because I really need to work.

I just know that I am going to be asked the "Why do you want to work here?" question and after I give the standard "I am interested in the company, it will be good experience," blah, blah should I tell them that a key reason why I want a job is so that I can buy a bigger place so that my girlfriend and I can finally move in together and live a more normal life?

Is that being too honest and too personal? Does that come off sounding like I am trying to get these people to pity me? I am not seeking their pity -- I am just telling the god's honest truth, but it may come off wrong.

What do you think?

JDPNYY
01-19-06, 11:05 PM
I have an interview tomorrow for a job that I am not too thrilled about, but if offered I would take it because I really need to work.

I just know that I am going to be asked the "Why do you want to work here?" question and after I give the standard "I am interested in the company, it will be good experience," blah, blah should I tell them that a key reason why I want a job is so that I can buy a bigger place so that my girlfriend and I can finally move in together and live a more normal life?

Is that being too honest and too personal? Does that come off sounding like I am trying to get these people to pity me? I am not seeking their pity -- I am just telling the god's honest truth, but it may come off wrong.

What do you think?

Don't give that answer. Never inject anything about your personal life into the interview. Do some research on the company and find a business related reason or two that would apply to your wanting to work there.

SubwayFanatic
01-19-06, 11:07 PM
Don't give that answer. Never inject anything about your personal life into the interview. Do some research on the company and find a business related reason or two that would apply to your wanting to work there.

Thanks for the input. Just curious though -- why do you say I should leave it out? Does it just sound like I am begging for the job?

gdn
01-19-06, 11:08 PM
I'd leave it out. They don't care.

JDPNYY
01-19-06, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the input. Just curious though -- why do you say I should leave it out? Does it just sound like I am begging for the job?

It's not good practice to speak of anything personal in an interview. Among other things it allows the possibility of the interviewers predjudices to play a part in your getting the position or not.

SubwayFanatic
01-19-06, 11:12 PM
I'd leave it out. They don't care.

You are probably right.

That is what I hate about interviews though. If you are too honest, they don't like it. But if you give too much bull................ it can also screw you over.

gdn
01-19-06, 11:12 PM
You are probably right.

That is what I hate about interviews though. If you are too honest, they don't like it. But if you give too much bull................ it can also screw you over.Also, John's comment above makes much sense. Another reason to leave it out.

JDPNYY
01-19-06, 11:19 PM
One last bit of advice for answering the question - "Why do you want to work here?"

Make you answer more about what you can do to help the company more than what you can get out of the job.

Sheff_Rod
01-19-06, 11:20 PM
Hope this helps.

http://interview.monster.com/articles/whyworkhere/

Sheff_Rod
01-19-06, 11:21 PM
Another good one:
http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewquestionsanswers/a/interviewquest.htm

SubwayFanatic
01-19-06, 11:32 PM
Sheff Rod, thanks a lot. Those links help for sure.

SubwayFanatic
01-19-06, 11:51 PM
I know it's all part of the game, but it's kind of sad yet also kind of funny that performing well at an interview is by basically coming up with the best sounding B.S.

Let's be honest -- the majority of people's truthful answers to the "Why do you want to work here?" question would be "To make money, you jackass."

Seriously, how many interviews do you go on where you are really and truly excited about the job?

I would venture to say not many.

chanman7483
01-20-06, 12:12 AM
I know it's all part of the game, but it's kind of sad yet also kind of funny that performing well at an interview is by basically coming up with the best sounding B.S.

Let's be honest -- the majority of people's truthful answers to the "Why do you want to work here?" question would be "To make money, you jackass."

Seriously, how many interviews do you go on where you are really and truly excited about the job?

I would venture to say not many.

That's the name of the game. Bullsh*t. But do it sincerely.

SubwayFanatic
01-20-06, 11:05 AM
Well, that interview went much better than expected. No job offer yet or anything, but it seems pretty promising. Or at least I hope so.

The guy I met with was very nice. We had more of a conversation than most of the interviews I have been on. He obviously asked a few questions, but we mainly just talked, which was much better than getting hammered with the same cliched questions over and again.

It's funnny, because I really only applied to that job because I need to make money. I thought I would hate it. And obviously I still am not 100% of what this company is like - heck, I don't even have the job yet - it does seem like it could be a job that I could at least tolerate.

SubwayFanatic
01-20-06, 11:13 AM
One last bit of advice for answering the question - "Why do you want to work here?"

Make you answer more about what you can do to help the company more than what you can get out of the job.

By the way, I took your advice -- I did not get into anything too personal.

I also took the advice you listed above. I think at too many interviews I have answered questions by talking about my own personal gain from getting the job rather than how I can help that particular company.

Thanks. Even if I don't get this job that is really good advice that I will keep in mind.

JDPNYY
01-20-06, 05:09 PM
By the way, I took your advice -- I did not get into anything too personal.

I also took the advice you listed above. I think at too many interviews I have answered questions by talking about my own personal gain from getting the job rather than how I can help that particular company.

Thanks. Even if I don't get this job that is really good advice that I will keep in mind.

Good Luck. I hope you get the job and it works out great for you.

I've interviewed thousands of people of all different levels. I've also been on the other side of the table far too many times.

I once went on an interview for a job I didn't want. (I mostly went just for the interview practice) The job was through a recruiter. The interview lasted 1 hour. I might have said 4 words, the interviewer did ALL the talking.

I had a 30 minute drive home and by the time I got home the recruiter had left a message on my answering machine telling me they loved me and wanted to make me an offer.

ChocolateGirl
01-21-06, 01:44 AM
I have a phone interview next Monday morning and a face to face job interview next Wednesday. I hope I get a job soon. The good thing is that the Wednesday interview is the 2nd interview for a job I applied to. :)

Good Luck SubwayFanatic and keep us posted. ;)

Dave Visbeck
01-21-06, 01:52 AM

What do you think?

Why? Because I'd really appreciate this job and in return would hope you'll appreciate my honest and best efforts made for you and this company.

I was just a truck driver. It's the best I can offer you advise wise. :dunno:

Dave Visbeck
01-21-06, 01:54 AM
I now realize I am a day late. :-sorry-: Just a silly Sox fan. :p Guess that's why I was only a driver.