PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone listen to Jazz music?

Espinosa's Glasses
01-18-06, 11:50 PM
If you do, I'm looking for an old smooth Jazz cd.

Something like John Coltrane- In a Sentimental Mood... that type of sound.

Nothing fast pace...

Thanks

MisterNovember
01-19-06, 01:36 AM

Nothing fast pace...

Thanks

If you like Coltrane I'd recommend "Kind of Blue", it's widely considered to be his masterpiece album.

As for other recommendations, pretty much anything by Miles Davis is great. Additionally, although it's not a jazz CD, Sinatra's "Only The Lonely" has a similar type of sound. Plus it includes my all time favorite Sinatra song, "One For My Baby".

Hope this helps!

GiambiRocks
01-19-06, 06:43 AM
Two of my favorite jazz c.ds are "Smooth Jazz at Midnight" and "Oasis Smooth Jazz Awards Collection" Both are c.ds with various artists.

NYDCYankee
01-19-06, 07:23 AM

Nothing fast pace...

Thanks

Get Sirius radio. They have multiple Jazz channels.

RhodyYanksFan
01-19-06, 08:27 AM
Get Sirius radio. They have multiple Jazz channels.

As does XM.

There's a new cd out of Thelonious Monk Quartet w/John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AV2GCE/qid=1137680746/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-6092389-8847313?n=507846&s=music&v=glance) that is really good. I don't know much about jazz, but I bought this one.

26 and counting
01-19-06, 10:04 AM
If you want something that's kind of laid back from the modern era, there's a great new album from the drummer Herlin Riley entitled "Cream of the Crescent". It's on the Criss Cross label and has quickly become one of my favorites. The well-known trumpeter Wynton Marsalis is on the album, as well as one of my favorite trombonists, Wycliffe Gordon.

Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" is also a good recommendation.

Evil Empire
01-19-06, 10:07 AM
As does XM.

There's a new cd out of Thelonious Monk Quartet w/John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AV2GCE/qid=1137680746/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-6092389-8847313?n=507846&s=music&v=glance) that is really good. I don't know much about jazz, but I bought this one.

I have that too. It's very good.

Another one I like is "Sketches of Spain" by Miles Davis. I suggest them both.

fredgmuggs
01-19-06, 10:13 AM
Dave Brubek's "Time Out" album is an all time easy listening jazz standard.

edit: Sonny Rollins' "Saxophone Colossus" is an album I highly recommend.

JfromJersey
01-19-06, 12:46 PM
Miles Davis' Kind of Blue is a classic.
Coltrane's Giant Steps and Blue Train. He also made an excellent album with Johnny Hartman.
Also, The Bill Evans Trio are great.

Dr. Gonzo
01-19-06, 12:55 PM
I like coltrane the best out of the crowd

Jersey Yankee
01-19-06, 01:24 PM
Anything with the Miles Quintet from the 1950s should be good, given that you get some good guys playing. After this, Coltrane, who passed on in 1967, went on to lead his own band, and was eventually replaced by Sonny Rollins. This after Miles finally convinced Coletrane to return, despite John trying to start his own band.

Look for great sidemen, and try other big stars. Duke Ellington's taste has never been questioned, nor has Count Basie's, Charlie Parker's, Dizzy Gillespie's, "Satchmo" Armstrong.

Greats to look for in accompaniment, regardless of the combination:

vocalists (female): Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holiday (blues), Nancy Wilson, Dinah Washington, Betty Carter

vocalists (male): Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong, Muddy Waters, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Johnny Hartman

percussions: Max Roach, Lionel Hampton, Philly Joe Jones

flute: Hubert Laws

clarinet (B flat): Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw

acoustic bass: Charles Mingus (band leader), Paul Chambers, Ron Carter

alto sax: Charlie "Yardbird/Bird" Parker, Julian "Cannonball" Adderley

tenor sax: John Coletrane, Sonny Rollins, Stanley Turrentine, Grover Washington, Jr, Branford Marsalis

baritone/bass sax: Gerry Mulligan, Stan Getz

trumpet/cornet: Miles Davis, Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong, "Dizzy" Gillespie, Freddie Hubbard, Wynton Marsalis

piano: "Duke" Ellington (big band leader), Thelonius Monk (band leader), "Count" Basie (big band leader), Red Garland, Oscar Peterson (band leader), Ahmad Jamal (band leader)

organ: Jimmy Smith

Jersey Yankee
01-19-06, 01:30 PM
Miles Davis' Kind of Blue is a classic.
Coltrane's Giant Steps and Blue Train. He also made an excellent album with Johnny Hartman.
Also, The Bill Evans Trio are great.
Pick up "Something Else" with Miles and Cannonball. I think it would be a worthy addition to your collection.

Dave Brubek's "Time Out" album is an all time easy listening jazz standard.

edit: Sonny Rollins' "Saxophone Colossus" is an album I highly recommend.
Was it Dave Brubeck or Dave Benoit who did the Snoopy song and played Schroeder's piano on the Peanuts cartoon specials?

I haven't heard "Saxophone Colossus", but I like Tenor Madness. Sonny was recording this and Trane happened by the studio, and did the title score. Very recommended album.

penfold
01-19-06, 01:31 PM
I'd suggest you listen to some tunes by Ben Webster. Very smooth stuff. (I can't stand jazz that sounds atonal... what's the point?)

A search of amazon might give you some decent clips.

Jersey Yankee
01-19-06, 01:33 PM
I'd suggest you listen to some tunes by Ben Webster. Very smooth stuff. (I can't stand jazz that sounds atonal... what's the point?)

A search of amazon might give you some decent clips.
Screw amazon. Go to your local large music store and see if anyone there knows good jazz. If they do, ask for some standards.

Only so much you can get online, and musical recommendations ain't one of 'em.

penfold
01-19-06, 01:39 PM
Screw amazon. Go to your local large music store and see if anyone there knows good jazz. If they do, ask for some standards.

Only so much you can get online, and musical recommendations ain't one of 'em.

LOL

IMHO, you're taking a risk asking about jazz in a large music store... Most sales people are experts in pop/hip hop/classical but know less about jazz than I do -- and I'm no expert by any remote stretch of the imagination.

I've found that sales people at smaller or independent stores seem to know their stuff. There's a Hear Music store in Santa Monica that specializes in jazz.

If you have some good used CD stores in your area, they usually let you listen to the discs before you buy.

Good luck!!!!!

Jersey Yankee
01-19-06, 01:43 PM
LOL

IMHO, you're taking a risk asking about jazz in a large music store... Most sales people are experts in pop/hip hop/classical but know less about jazz than I do -- and I'm no expert by any remote stretch of the imagination.

I've found that sales people at smaller or independent stores seem to know their stuff. There's a Hear Music store in Santa Monica that specializes in jazz.

If you have some good used CD stores in your area, they usually let you listen to the discs before you buy.

Good luck!!!!!
I went to J&R Music World and Tower Records, both of which I'd consider large music stores. I've never tried Virgin Record store by Times Square, which is about the largest in NYC.

They both have expansive jazz sections. Tower has one around Lincoln Center, but I went to the downtown one near NYU. Those people know jazz. The pop/hip-hop and other sections were separate.

Look for the quality performers I've listed above and you shouldn't go wrong.

penfold
01-19-06, 01:50 PM
I went to J&R Music World and Tower Records, both of which I'd consider large music stores. I've never tried Virgin Record store by Times Square, which is about the largest in NYC.

They both have expansive jazz sections. Tower has one around Lincoln Center, but I went to the downtown one near NYU. Those people know jazz. The pop/hip-hop and other sections were separate.

Look for the quality performers I've listed above and you shouldn't go wrong.

Ah, yes... yet another difference between NYC and the rest of the world.... ;) Generally speaking, it's a lot easier to find experts on anything in NY than it is anywhere else! (And I'm not trying to rag on the rest of the world!!!!)

Have you ever been to Disc-o-rama on 4th? (I think that's what it's called. It's been years since I was last there.) It's walking distance from The Strand bookstore... It's got a heavy jazz/vocal/B-way emphasis. Good store. They also have lots of LP's.

Espinosa's Glasses
01-19-06, 01:59 PM
Thanks everyone!

I've been watching the Jazz channel on digital cable and listening to it on my XM alot..

Its really great for just chillin...

Anyways... thanks... I just got a friend to burn me a Miles Davis cd just to check it out...I think its called Blue Moods...

RhodyYanksFan
01-19-06, 02:25 PM
Thanks everyone!

I've been watching the Jazz channel on digital cable and listening to it on my XM alot..

Its really great for just chillin...

Anyways... thanks... I just got a friend to burn me a Miles Davis cd just to check it out...I think its called Blue Moods...

Yeah, XM 70 Real Jazz is great background music at work. Very relaxing.

thecaptain
01-19-06, 03:36 PM
One Bad Habit by Michael Franks

Sam2448
01-19-06, 04:28 PM
I haven't heard much jazz, but the stuff that I've heard and enjoyed is a lot of jazz fusion stuff. I love Miles Davis and John Coltrane. Bitches Brew is my favorite for Miles, and A Love Supreme is my favorite John album.

I also like some fusion stuff like Jeff Beck- Blow by Blow, but that's probably not exactly what the threadstarter is looking for.

JfromJersey
01-19-06, 06:02 PM

Webster is a good choice. Besides his own stuff, he recorded with many of the Jazz greats like Ellington and Art Tatum. His collaboration with Tatum on the Tatum Group Masterpieces, Volume 8, is a masterpiece of mellow Jazz..superb recordings of standards by 2 Jazz giants.

#7forever
01-19-06, 06:10 PM
One of my favorite Miles Davis albums is "Birth of The Cool". "Kind of Blue" is also wonderful. There are various compilations of Miles Davis' work in release
at the present time. I'm sure one of those could be helpful as a primer to his music.

fredgmuggs
01-19-06, 06:16 PM
Was it Dave Brubeck or Dave Benoit who did the Snoopy song and played Schroeder's piano on the Peanuts cartoon specials?

Vince Guaraldi wrote the score for the early classic episodes (A Charlie Brown Christmas, It's the Great Pumpkin,Charlie Brown, etc.) and his trio also performed them... so I assume that's Guaraldi on the piano. I do know both Brubeck and Benoit have performed on later Peanuts episodes and they both have covered the Charlie Brown Christmas songbook on various recordings over the years.

fredgmuggs
01-19-06, 06:22 PM
Webster is a good choice. Besides his own stuff, he recorded with many of the Jazz greats like Ellington and Art Tatum. His collaboration with Tatum on the Tatum Group Masterpieces, Volume 8, is a masterpiece of mellow Jazz..superb recordings of standards by 2 Jazz giants.

I was listening to an Art Tatum CD (20th Century Piano Genius) a few nights ago and I swear the guy plays with three hands. His talent is beyond my human understanding.

MisterNovember
01-19-06, 06:57 PM
Vince Guaraldi wrote the score for the early classic episodes (A Charlie Brown Christmas, It's the Great Pumpkin,Charlie Brown, etc.) and his trio also performed them... so I assume that's Guaraldi on the piano. I do know both Brubeck and Benoit have performed on later Peanuts episodes and they both have covered the Charlie Brown Christmas songbook on various recordings over the years.

"Linus and Lucy" is still one of my favorite songs ever. :)

Jersey Yankee
01-19-06, 07:02 PM
Ah, yes... yet another difference between NYC and the rest of the world.... ;) Generally speaking, it's a lot easier to find experts on anything in NY than it is anywhere else! (And I'm not trying to rag on the rest of the world!!!!)

Have you ever been to Disc-o-rama on 4th? (I think that's what it's called. It's been years since I was last there.) It's walking distance from The Strand bookstore... It's got a heavy jazz/vocal/B-way emphasis. Good store. They also have lots of LP's.
Basically, I've gone mostly by label, and the one I've found most consistent for the Miles/Trane thing was Original Jazz Classics. Any song with big names that had tunes 5-8 minutes would almost always be worth listening to. Some more tantalizing and stunning than others.

I have Bitches Brew, which Miles had originally wanted Jimi Hendrix to star in, but Jimi choked to death before that, unfortunately. That would've been a monumental album had that occurred. As is, I'm not as much into the plugged-in stuff, so that's why I've listed "acoustic bass", rather than the electric piano that Chick Corea, who did star in "Bitches Brew", played. No electric guitars will I list either. Not for jazz.

I haven't listened to it in awhile, but WBGO in Newark, NJ is awesome.

Thanks. I have something from GRP on them. I was really into Schroeder's music when I first saw Charlie Brown on the cartoons. After years and years of comix, who'd have expected that?

Jersey Yankee
01-21-06, 02:52 PM
I'd forgotten to add the late great "Joe Williams" amongst the great male voices. When Count Basie passed, Ted Koppel had him on Nightline and Joe sang for the audience. They also featured lighting as found in a jazz club, for a proper atmosphere. This after Joe said a few complimentary words about the late master jazzman he'd accompanied.

http://www.riverwalk.org/profiles/williams.htm

Dave Visbeck
01-21-06, 04:09 PM
Sure do but not as often as in the past. Usually listen in private when I do. In the truck at times.

I used to go listen live at a club in Brisbane years ago. I wonder if it's still there? :looking:

montrealer
01-21-06, 05:04 PM
www.montrealjazzfestival.com/

montrealer
01-21-06, 05:11 PM
Can google several sites for anybody who is interested in attending this summer.For Jazz fans worth the visit and only 5hrs from NYC.Many free outdoor concerts.

montrealer
01-21-06, 05:22 PM
As for listening"Nina Simon"What a talent"..RIP

Saxmania
01-21-06, 05:38 PM
I highly recommend using iTunes and trying some of the streaming jazz radio channels. They're free, and there's quite a wide variety at a decent bitrate - I've bought three or four tracks during the last couple of weeks just from hearing them in the background from my PC.

Oscar Peterson rules, by the way.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

fredgmuggs
01-21-06, 05:57 PM
I was watching blues legend Pinetop Perkins on my local cable access channel the other night (filmed from a few years ago). Amazing... the guy is about 200 hundred years old (OK, he's at least in his mid 80's anyway) and he can still bring it and has amazing energy. The biggest hoot for me was listening to him mutter about how lousy the piano was all night. I've never heard anybody do that before.