PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else here a Harry Potter fan?

ctan
01-18-06, 10:24 AM
Maybe it is just that in the winter my brain needs something besides the Yankees to latch onto, but each winter for he past 4 years or so I have gotten more and more obsessed with the Harry Potter books and movies.

So much so that I've started writing analytical essays about them. (I know, I know, what a Ravenclaw thing to do...)

Here's why I was every English teacher's dream:

Death and Afterward in Harrry Potter (http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474976723456) (in other words, why i think we'll see Dumbledore and Sirius in Book Seven)

Flying As A Metaphor for Freedom in Harry Potter (http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474976723165)

Frodo and the Fate of Harry Potter (http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474976723731)

Have fun.

gdn
01-18-06, 10:27 AM
Thank you. We had a discussion about Book 6 a while ago in the LTE and whether Snape was good or evil.

I never got into it till I read THBP. Thanks to HBO and ABC family, I got to see all the movies and then saw the latest in the theater (I haven't read any of the first 5 books).

It's interesting. I like it.

RhodyYanksFan
01-18-06, 10:54 AM
I like the movies, but I haven't read the books yet. I'm sure one day I'll finally get around to it, but there are many other books ahead of them on my list.

Hitman23
01-18-06, 10:58 AM
I like the movies, but I haven't read the books yet. I'm sure one day I'll finally get around to it, but there are many other books ahead of them on my list.That's the way I am. I like the movies ALOT, but not enough interest to read the books at this time.

Smithers
01-18-06, 12:03 PM
i started with the prisoner of azkaban and have been hooked ever since.

the 4th book was my favorite but the movie didnt do it enough justice.

penfold
01-18-06, 01:49 PM
I got suckered in way back when before the publicity grabbed hold (my "nyah nyah" moment, I guess. ;) ).

For the first few books, I was desperately waiting for the new releases. With the last few, I'm less eager. So much has gone on in my life recently that I just don't have the brain power to retain all the story threads to get back on track for the new books. The Potter universe is complex. Sadly, so is the Penfold universe.

But I will eagerly purchase the next (and final?) book. I'll read it the first month that it's out. I'll enjoy it -- thoroughly -- and talk about it for maybe a month. And then I'll forget all the major plot points.

corynnmarie
01-18-06, 02:08 PM
I've read all six books and seen al the movies, but just for entertainment. That particular fandom is kinda odd...

NyQuil
01-19-06, 02:40 AM
I have a really bad feeling that book seven is going to disappoint me.

Dave Visbeck
01-19-06, 06:04 AM
Several of my kids are. My thirteen and twelve year olds. My niece's are interest too. One is thirteen ... and one nineteen.

I listened to one of the stories as a book on tape with my kids on a road trip back to California from Ohio. That was 2+ years ago. The book seemed fine but just isn't something I was really interest in. = Old fart. :)