PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Big_E
05-24-06, 09:02 PM
I can't believe the man Simon didn't want in auditions, who he thought would never get to the voting stage, won the whole thing.

Congrats Taylor!

RhodeyYankee2638
05-24-06, 09:03 PM
did Taylor even make up Soul Patrol? the first time I saw it was when he was parodied on SNL a few months ago

ALR83
05-24-06, 09:08 PM
SO excited Taylor won!!

yankeesfaninaz
05-24-06, 09:18 PM
wtg taylor. i love finding out who wins while the show is in progress here

gdn
05-24-06, 09:19 PM
wtg taylor. i love finding out who wins while the show is in progress hereSorry... ?

Barb51850
05-24-06, 09:28 PM
The finale was very enterataining. I loved that restaurant bit with Kelly. Her trying to eat escargot and screaming at the lobsters was hysterical. It was so sweet when they gave Elliott's mom the award.

Barb51850
05-24-06, 09:30 PM
Just wondering about something - Was I the only one who didn't recognize Clay Aiken?

gdn
05-24-06, 09:33 PM
The finale was very enterataining. I loved that restaurant bit with Kelly. Her trying to eat escargot and screaming at the lobsters was hysterical. It was so sweet when they gave Elliott's mom the award.Really? You thought that was entertaining? I thought she came across as more of an idiot than ever before.

Es-car-GOT.

Yeah.

Barb51850
05-24-06, 09:35 PM
I thought she came across as more of an idiot than ever before.

Exactly. That's why I thought it was funny.

keg411
05-24-06, 09:48 PM
Yay for Taylor! I'm so glad he won. I may even buy his CD. He seemed so happy too.

The rest of the show was kind of filler (lots of fun cheesy medleys), but it was cool to see Live, Meatloaf and... Prince??? I'm not sure if this means American Idol has "cred" or if everyone else sold out. Clay's hair was weird. But he and Carrie both sounded great (Carrie sounded especially pretty and I really disliked her in her season).

It was a fun season. And of course, I'll be sucked in for season six when it comes around next fall.

rock
05-24-06, 09:57 PM
I was shocked that Prince came out. I hadn't heard anything about that beforehand. Chris singing with Live was very cool too. Most of those Idol awards were pretty dumb and a waste of time. Pickler will probably have some tv show of her own one day.

Carrie looked and sounded great. She really deserved her title last year. I like Kat but Carrie is just much better overall.

Barb51850
05-24-06, 10:15 PM
It was so sweet and touching when they gave Elliott's mom the award, and she introduced him as "MY Elliott Yamin."

Funny moment - When Clay Aiken walked out on stage and that Clay wanna-be guy almost fainted on top of Ryan.

krystl
05-24-06, 11:15 PM
Just wondering about something - Was I the only one who didn't recognize Clay Aiken?
First I thought they were bringing out Elton John, then I saw it wasn't him, but the hair really threw me off...it took me a second to figure out it was him.
The kid's face was priceless though! :lol:

I liked the Puck and Pickler bits. I could have done without the awards, but the one for Elliott's mom was sweet.

I liked all the cheesy performances. But IMO, Toni Braxton sounded like $hit.

Barb51850
05-24-06, 11:39 PM
First I thought they were bringing out Elton John, then I saw it wasn't him, but the hair really threw me off...it took me a second to figure out it was him.

I love the hair, and he gained a few pounds. He looked very handsome!

JfromJersey
05-24-06, 11:59 PM
At first I thought 2 hours was just way overdoing it, but I kind of enjoyed the whole thing, even the cheesy Pickler bits. Congrats to Taylor Hicks, and to Kat too, for showing she could be a classy and gracious loser.

Luvtino
05-25-06, 12:09 AM
I enjoyed the finale. :)

Congrats Taylor!! Congrats Katharine!! Taylor was a classy winner and Katharine was very gracious when she lost. It was nice to see on both parts. You can tell all the idols really like each other was is very sweet.

I was so happy to see Mandisa gets such a great reaction from the crowd. You can tell she was a fave. Ditto for Chris and E. I really missed Chris once he was voted off so I particularly liked seeing him again.

The Clay bit was great. That guy's reaction was hysterical. Clay looks better this way. The weight gain agrees with him. I also think it is nice for the idols to see that you don't have to win to have enormous success. And I adore Carrie Underwood. I am so thrilled for her success in the country world. Good for her!!

YankeesFanNuffSaid
05-25-06, 02:31 AM
Taylor won, I wanted him to win (because of the likability factor mostly), he actually deserved to win, but how in the heck is he going to be marketed and to whom? A Vegas crowd yearning to see his spastic, funny dance moves and who think he's the second most talented person on this earth, only behind Wayne Newton? People who think he sounds like Joe Cocker?

Also, though AI is entertaining, tonight's show proved that these idol contestants (and winners), past and present, aren't very impressive (other than maybe Mandissa). They might sound OK on a particular song or two, but, overall, they are on par with decent performers in a high school play. In addition, Taylor and Kat's awful final duet performance " I've Had the Time of My Life" proved that some stars cant be manufactured and that a good portion of Americans can't be relied upon to vote on who is talented or not.

YankeesFanNuffSaid
05-25-06, 02:42 AM
It was so sweet and touching when they gave Elliott's mom the award, and she introduced him as "MY Elliott Yamin."

Funny moment - When Clay Aiken walked out on stage and that Clay wanna-be guy almost fainted on top of Ryan.

I'm surprised anyone would be a wannabe Aiken. What an awful hatchet job Aiken did on a great song. I didn't watch Idol the season that he was a contestant. Was his singing always as sucky, forced and unnatural as it was tonight? Elton's and George Michael's (he did a GREAT rendition of it - and duet with Elton) skin must have been crawling.

YankeesFanNuffSaid
05-25-06, 02:47 AM
One last observation. It was kinda sad watching Meatloaf and Toni Braxton show the world just how over the hill they are. I especially used to think Braxton had one of the sexiest voices ever. Plus, she used to be pretty damned sexy herself.

Tonight she sounded weak and looked like a drag queen. Wassup with her sexing it up while singing a song about poverty, pain and suffering?

Meatloaf- well I felt embarrassed for him. Prince still rocks the house and Dionne Warwick exudes class on stage.

ritaylnil
05-25-06, 06:51 AM
Kat is hot, but she's a stone on stage, even when she tries to shake her flat ass, now that looks like a seizure

Wow, if you think Kat's a$$ is flat, you need an eye exam! :lol:

ritaylnil
05-25-06, 07:01 AM
I loved every moment of the cheesy, sappy show! Prince was the highlight. What a great surprise. Imagine him as a guest musician during the competition! I'm happy for Taylor. Kat, indeed, was a gracious loser. Hard to imagine what they'll do with Taylor after the dust settles. Some guy from Rolling Stone was on GMA this morning and he said something to the effect that if people wanted to buy records from a gray haired guy who sounds like Joe Cocker, they'd buy Joe Cocker records! :lol: I predict Vegas act for Taylor. I'm not saying that to knock him, cause I like the guy a lot. I just can't see what type of music he'd put out that people would actually purchase.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-25-06, 07:33 AM
Wow, if you think Kat's a$$ is flat, you need an eye exam! :lol:

ooo it is

did you see her during the girls performance walking out, she looked so awkward on stage

Chesbro41
05-25-06, 07:42 AM
A few thoughts...

I thought Clay's hair was hideous. It looked fake. The Taylor/Toni Braxton duet was weird.

The best moment of the night...David Hasselhoff crying in the crowd after Taylor won...I almost died laughing!

allybear
05-25-06, 07:58 AM

Thank you - JP was like, "oh, that's Clay" and I was like, "no it's not" - I figured he wouldn't know Clay Aiken from a hole in the wall, but he was right, which is somewhat scary! ;)

allybear
05-25-06, 07:59 AM
Really? You thought that was entertaining? I thought she came across as more of an idiot than ever before.

Es-car-GOT.

Yeah.

I kind of liked it, it was actually cute. If they ever do a remake of "Hee-Haw", she'd be perfect.

allybear
05-25-06, 08:01 AM
The kid's face was priceless though! :lol:

I liked the Puck and Pickler bits. I could have done without the awards, but the one for Elliott's mom was sweet.

I liked all the cheesy performances. But IMO, Toni Braxton sounded like $hit.

But Toni looked great! (as I was told - sorry to the person who said she looked like a drag queen, but I liked the dress and JP liked the legs). Elliott's mom was sweet when she called him "My Elliott".

Edited to add exactly why I said Toni Braxton looked good. ;)

RhodeyYankee2638
05-25-06, 08:29 AM
But Toni looked great! (as I was told - sorry to the person who said she looked like a drag queen, but I liked the dress and JP liked the legs). Elliott's mom was sweet when she called him "My Elliott".

Edited to add exactly why I said Toni Braxton looked good. ;)

seriously, my father asked me "is that a transvestite" when Toni Braxton came out

Barb51850
05-25-06, 08:42 AM
Thank you - JP was like, "oh, that's Clay" and I was like, "no it's not" - I figured he wouldn't know Clay Aiken from a hole in the wall, but he was right, which is somewhat scary! ;)

That's funny Ally. I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one saying "Who's that? He's really cute, but WHO IS HE?"

A friend of mine, who just started watching the show three weeks ago and is totally hooked, called me after the show. She asked "Who was that guy who sang with the skinny nervous guy? He looked like a young Paul McCartney." I told her I had no idea who he was. It was only later after I read the AI message boards that I realized it was Clay.

boo_427
05-25-06, 08:51 AM
Glad Taylor won. I wish him the best of success.

Taylor and Kat were my favorites from the auditions. So it was easy on me either way.

Prince was so freakin' awesome. He is still one of the best performers out there. And I picked up a few new moves to boot.

NYYfan24
05-25-06, 08:56 AM

I thought Clay looked adorable! He did look like a young Paul McCartney! I didn't recognize him! That Clay wanna-be was so funny!

Were Fantasia and Reuben on? I was flipping over to the game..and missed much of the pre-announcement.

I thought Kat sang circles around Taylor in the "Time of my life" song!

I think Kat and Taylor are both winners. I also think that like Clay and Reuben....we'll be hearing more of Kat, in the future. Congrats to both.

powerpinstripes
05-25-06, 11:04 AM
[FONT=Verdana]After Seacrest said, no more special guests, out comes Prince. First I thought, he has no business on AI, but he was AWESOME! Plus, any show that gives away Mustang GT's is all right with me.

PalmerGA
05-25-06, 11:11 AM
The "best man" won.
The "best woman" lost.

JfromJersey
05-25-06, 12:31 PM
I loved every moment of the cheesy, sappy show! Prince was the highlight. What a great surprise. Imagine him as a guest musician during the competition! I'm happy for Taylor. Kat, indeed, was a gracious loser. Hard to imagine what they'll do with Taylor after the dust settles. Some guy from Rolling Stone was on GMA this morning and he said something to the effect that if people wanted to buy records from a gray haired guy who sounds like Joe Cocker, they'd buy Joe Cocker records! :lol: I predict Vegas act for Taylor. I'm not saying that to knock him, cause I like the guy a lot. I just can't see what type of music he'd put out that people would actual purchase.

Taylor's single will sell as a direct result of all the AI hype. I don't see him having a great career as a recording artist, because he's just not that good of a singer. He is a performer, and his concerts will do well, but what venue he's slotted in, remains to be seen. Is he country, soul, rock, or some combination?

b-ball-lunachick
05-25-06, 12:45 PM
No surprises last night...to me, Katherine was the best singer, and Taylor was the best performer..both will be successful, possibly Katherine even more sucessful. :) I'm disappointed in the Tuesday show though -- I didn't think it was fair that they performed different material -- give them the same song -- hers seemed harder, although both songs really stunk...they need to get some new songwriters for those final shows -- neither would be successful with those songs.

Haven't watched the finale show yet because of the game (other than the last two minutes) but it should be interesting..

jlw1980
05-25-06, 01:14 PM
Honestly, I don't think either Kat or Taylor will be wildly successful. Chris, however, will be, IMO.

And I agree w/ whoever said Toni Braxton looked awful. She really did look like a drag queen.

Prince is still the sh$t. :D

yanksphan
05-25-06, 06:06 PM
Prince was so freakin' awesome. He is still one of the best performers out there. And I picked up a few new moves to boot.

Word. P rocked the house.

SheffRocks11
05-25-06, 06:07 PM
Congrats Taylor,

and I agree... Prince was awesome :)

yanksphan
05-25-06, 06:07 PM
Honestly, I don't think either Kat or Taylor will be wildly successful. Chris, however, will be, IMO.

And I agree w/ whoever said Toni Braxton looked awful. She really did look like a drag queen.

Prince is still the sh$t. :D

Chris probably will be successful, however, listening to him sing with Live, it showed how unpolished he really is. He's got some work to do.

IronCaballo4
08-02-06, 03:08 PM
So I went to see the American Idol concert last night here in Charlotte. While it was the annoying screamfest I expected, I was also pleasantly surprised. Mandisa was great and Lisa was pretty good. Bucky was eh, and he forgot part of the lyrics to "Superstition". Kellie was her usual self, and Paris did her wannabe Beyonce bit, which wasn't good, and Ace sucked (no surprise). Chris was by FAR the very best...he really did amazing, then came Elliott, who was awesome too, he did a great job especially when he did the duet with Chris. Then Chris, Ace, Bucky, and Elliott all performed Guns N Roses' "Patience" which was surprisingly very good. Then Kat came out and did only 2 songs because her voice is still recovering. Then Taylor performed and he was a trip...he did really well. In all I had fun except for that stupid grown woman sitting next to me who jumped up and down through Chris' entire set and wouldn't stop hitting me. I was getting pissed

krystl
08-02-06, 04:13 PM
LOL, thanks for the report of the concert! (sorry to laugh, but I canjust picture the woman next to you!)

What happened to Kat that her voice is recovering?

jlw1980
08-02-06, 06:35 PM

Bulimia isn't good for one's vocal chords, though she claims that she doesn't have it any more. I think I read that she had bronchitis.

IronCaballo4
08-02-06, 10:45 PM
LOL, thanks for the report of the concert! (sorry to laugh, but I canjust picture the woman next to you!)

she was SO freakin annoying. Then during intermission she, for some reason, felt the need to tap me on my arm and tell me she was going to the bathroom. Like I freakin CARE! Just go pee and stop hitting me everytime you wanna soil your pants over the next singer coming out to perform.

But I digress...I believe Kat is recovering from laryngitis

krystl
08-02-06, 10:47 PM
LOL. Ok, thanks. :)