PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

rock
05-11-06, 12:21 PM
Taylor will probably win unless there is a major upset. He still hasn't been in the bottom 2 or 3 yet.

krystl
05-11-06, 12:50 PM
I'd say the reason they're referring to Chris as a "rocker" has a lot to do with the songs he sang ...

Fuel - Hemorrage
Creed - What If
Shinedown - I Dare You

Just to name a few ... would you not consider them "rock"?

ETA: add me to the list of those shocked/saddened by Chris being gone, but I think in the long run it's the best thing for him and his career.
I believe he also did a Bon Jovi song, IIRC.

JfromJersey
05-11-06, 01:19 PM
Now with Chris out it looks like Taylor will be the favorite to go all the way.
Next week is big..3 songs for each to perform.
I'll be rooting for Katherine who is the most idolish contestant left.
FWIW..I think our perceptions of arrogance on the part of certain contestants is off base. These young people are under incredible pressure and each handles it differently.

YankeesFanNuffSaid
05-11-06, 01:19 PM
If INXS can have a reality show for a new lead singer, then there's no doubt that a band like Fuel (who has been off the radar for more than a few years now) would be looking for a face that's been out there and has a decent voice. Chris fits that need so I don't see it being impossible.

With all due respect, maybe it's just me and it's something I need to get over, but I just can't take someone, especially a so-called rocker from American Idol, seriously once the competition is over. Something just doesn't add up to me.

YankeesFanNuffSaid
05-11-06, 01:24 PM
I'd say the reason they're referring to Chris as a "rocker" has a lot to do with the songs he sang ...

Fuel - Hemorrage
Creed - What If
Shinedown - I Dare You

ETA: add me to the list of those shocked/saddened by Chris being gone, but I think in the long run it's the best thing for him and his career.

I agree, they are rock songs (though I'm not especially fond of Creed and the forced image they try to project). But that doesn't necessarily make one a serious rocker. When a person has too try hard perfecting an image, like staring into the camera, pursing his lips, and slamming down the mic stand, instead of just letting things come naturally, well, I can't take them too seriously. Rock shouldn't have to resort to that and be so contrived, though I admit, in many cases some of the weaker (some succesful) groups are.

Another thing I'd like to point out specifically about Chris is that aside from being so full of it (at least in my eyes) he's still very limited vocally.

Barb51850
05-11-06, 01:42 PM
Now with Chris out it looks like Taylor will be the favorite to go all the way.
Next week is big..3 songs for each to perform.
I'll be rooting for Katherine who is the most idolish contestant left.
FWIW..I think our perceptions of arrogance on the part of certain contestants is off base. These young people are under incredible pressure and each handles it differently.

Next week will be a real test. Do you know what the theme is?

JfromJersey
05-11-06, 01:54 PM

I don't think there will be a theme. One song is chosen by the performer. One song is picked for the performer by AI. I believe record producer Clive Davis picks the 3rd song.

Slavenka
05-11-06, 02:15 PM

I read there isn't a theme- one song is picked by the performer, another by the judges, and a third by Clive. I'd be interested in what song he picks for Kat- he has a history of producing for divas, and with her being a mini-diva, I'd think he'd like her.

I'm glad Chris went home. I did not see anything really special about him- he was boring me with his limited vocals, faux hard rocker stares, and his old grouchy man attitude. I think Kat is going home next week. Even if she's fabulous, she's dug too deep a hole to get out of with her medicore performances in previous weeks. Also, I think with so many saying Kat should have gone home this week, all the Chris votes (which I assume will be a lot considering he always seemed in the top) will now go to anti-Kat votes, or of course they could just be so disillusioned they stop watching. Anyway, I'm rooting for Elliot, he's a good singer and I like his style. I cannot understand what people see in Taylor. I don't see anything special in his voice, and someone here(?) said it best when they referred to him as a middle aged man doing karaoke, which was explemfied on Tuesday. I expect a Elliot/Taylor finale, and I think that's what TPTB also hope for for the final show.

JfromJersey
05-11-06, 02:39 PM
I'm glad Chris went home. I did not see anything really special about him- he was boring me with his limited vocals, faux hard rocker stares, and his old grouchy man attitude. I think Kat is going home next week. Even if she's fabulous, she's dug too deep a hole to get out of with her medicore performances in previous weeks. Also, I think with so many saying Kat should have gone home this week, all the Chris votes (which I assume will be a lot considering he always seemed in the top) will now go to anti-Kat votes, or of course they could just be so disillusioned they stop watching. Anyway, I'm rooting for Elliot, he's a good singer and I like his style. I cannot understand what people see in Taylor. I don't see anything special in his voice, and someone here(?) said it best when they referred to him as a middle aged man doing karaoke, which was explemfied on Tuesday. I expect a Elliot/Taylor finale, and I think that's what TPTB also hope for for the final show.

I agree that Kat is on dangerous ground, but if she has a great night I think she can make it to the final 2, provided one of the guys (probably Yamin) slip up. Elliot is a good singer and he does have a nice style, but honestly, is he an American Idol? If he wins he will fade from public view, much like Ruben Studdard. To me, Hicks is still an enigma. Of the remaining 3, he's by far the worst vocalist. Take away his personality and he would have been gone weeks ago.

Slavenka
05-11-06, 03:05 PM
I agree that Kat is on dangerous ground, but if she has a great night I think she can make it to the final 2, provided one of the guys (probably Yamin) slip up. Elliot is a good singer and he does have a nice style, but honestly, is he an American Idol? If he wins he will fade from public view, much like Ruben Studdard. To me, Hicks is still an enigma. Of the remaining 3, he's by far the worst vocalist. Take away his personality and he would have been gone weeks ago.

I think you make a good point- Kat can make it only if Elliot slips up. He's been pretty consistent, actually improving as the weeks go on, so I don't see that happening. I never watched AI before, and my only reference point would be Kelly Clarkson (who I love), so I'm not sure what an American Idol is, but at this point you have to pick what you're given. Both have positives in some areas, negative in others, but I think Elliot comes closest to having the overall package and Taylor just has too many negatives.

jlw1980
05-11-06, 03:27 PM
It seems to me that the only person who's won AI, who actually has become what the show's title suggests, is Kelly Clarkson. Who won after that? Ruben, Fantasia, Carrie. I guess you could make a case for Carrie, but Ruben's runner-up, Clay, has been wildly more successful than Ruben has. He and Fantasia haven't done much of anything since they won.

JfromJersey
05-11-06, 03:33 PM
It seems to me that the only person who's won AI, who actually has become what the show's title suggests, is Kelly Clarkson. Who won after that? Ruben, Fantasia, Carrie. I guess you could make a case for Carrie, but Ruben's runner-up, Clay, has been wildly more successful than Ruben has. He and Fantasia haven't done much of anything since they won.

Aren't they making a movie about Fantasia?

jlw1980
05-11-06, 03:54 PM
Aren't they making a movie about Fantasia?

I think so, but I believe it's made-for-TV, and will be on Lifetime or some other crappy channel. :lol:

jlw1980
05-11-06, 03:55 PM
The picture in this article shows the shock on Kat's and Chris' faces when the result was announced.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12729017/

By Craig Berman
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 1:07 p.m. ET May 11, 2006
In back-to-back weeks, the “American Idol” voters have kicked off the two people who might actually have a shot at a musical career. First came Paris Bennett, and on Wednesday, Chris Daughtry, widely considered to be one of the favorites to win the competition, instead became the ninth of the original 12 finalists to be shown the door.

While Bennett’s exit last week was no great shock — she was just 17 and too young to compete with the musical veterans — Daughtry’s fate was unexpected. He’d done well enough to impress a core group of fans and guest musical coaches, and didn’t do anything this past week to make Elvis roll over in his grave or throw things at the television — depending on whether he’s still alive or not).

Daughtry consistently has been the best musical act, week in and week out, since the competition began. In fact, after he covered Fuel’s “Hemorrhage” early in the competition, the band reportedly floated the idea of him taking over as their lead singer. It should be noted that Priscilla Presley did not respond to this week’s “Elvis” theme by offering him a similar chance to revitalize the Presley portfolio, but maybe she’s already decided to wait until eliminated “Idol” finalist Kevin Covais gets a little older.

rock
05-11-06, 04:33 PM

Carrie's debut album has gone triple platium already. Only Kelly's 2nd album has sold more than Carrie's.

I think Ruben is coming out with another album pretty soon. I think Ruben and Fantasia are doing well within R&B but are not mainstream stars like Kelly.

Slavenka
05-11-06, 05:21 PM
I think so, but I believe it's made-for-TV, and will be on Lifetime or some other crappy channel. :lol:

Hey Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network are not crappy channels!! :P
Anyway, here's a link to the story. She playing herself, how boring.

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/63352.htm

keg411
05-11-06, 05:42 PM
Well, I'll be rooting for Taylor. I'm one of those who wasn't bored by Chris and thought he was the most marketable. But I'm one of the few who has been crying for an idol who sang rock since season one (Bo was great to have last year) -- I like that more than bland pop or bland R&B. However, Chris was the "frontrunner" and with that comes the "backlash". I hope he takes up the Fuel offer or continues to work with a band.

At this point I think Taylor has it in the bag. He may be kind of strange, but I think he has more of the qualities that the winner usually has than Kat (who is inconsistent) or Elliot (who has zero charisma and will quickly go the way of Ruben if he wins). Of course, that's my opinion.

As for the most successful past contestant, it may end up being Jennifer Hudson from season three -- she's starring in that Dreamgirls movie with Beyonce and Jamie Foxx coming out in the winter (ie Big!Oscar!Movie time). Of course, the movie could also suck and she could fade into obscurity. Kelly is the only winner who really became a Pop Idol -- Carrie is only charting in Country (although she's done very well in sales) and Ruben and Fantasia were successful on R&B stations, but not in the mainstream.

OxDiesel
05-11-06, 05:44 PM
I read in rolling stone that Fuel is interested in him being their new lead singer. Also Tommy Mottola seemed THRILLED with Chris. I have no doubt that he will do something big!!

Guess who just became my new favorite band???
Regardless of last night's outcome, he will definitely end up one of the few non-finalists to make it.

I would even go so far as to say that he'll do better than whoever ends up winning...

OxDiesel
05-11-06, 05:46 PM
That's pretty funny and I mean no disrespect toward you and the info you're providing, but can anyone see true rockers, like say, Eric Clapton, Morrison, Bono or Steven Tyler (on the wilder side), being part of something so manufactured as AI and going against the likes of a Taylor, Kelly Pickler or Kat?

That's not to say I don't enjoy AI for it's entertainment value, but I'm not sure I'd go beyond that.

I would hardly consider Fuel a "true" rock band.
I think I might have heard Steve (Hitman23) choke on his dinner... :eek:

OxDiesel
05-11-06, 05:52 PM

Fuel - Hemorrage
Creed - What If
Shinedown - I Dare You

Don't forget "Wanted Dead Or Alive" and "Walk The Line", two of the best performances from this past season. In fact, and I said it at the time, I thought he did "Walk" even better than Live (the version he used).

Having said all that, it will probably work out better for him in the long run not being the winner. Had he won, he would always be saddled as "American Idol Winner Chris Daughtry", and I don't know if that's the image he necessarily wants to project. Then again, judging by the look on his face last night, he did seem to want this pretty badly...

OxDiesel
05-11-06, 05:54 PM
I agree, they are rock songs (though I'm not especially fond of Creed and the forced image they try to project). But that doesn't necessarily make one a serious rocker. When a person has too try hard perfecting an image, like staring into the camera, pursing his lips, and slamming down the mic stand, instead of just letting things come naturally, well, I can't take them too seriously. Rock shouldn't have to resort to that and be so contrived, though I admit, in many cases some of the weaker (some succesful) groups are.

Another thing I'd like to point out specifically about Chris is that aside from being so full of it (at least in my eyes) he's still very limited vocally.

Isn't it amazing how a group of people can watch the same show for weeks and come up with COMPLETELY different opinions???

OxDiesel
05-11-06, 06:00 PM
I read there isn't a theme- one song is picked by the performer, another by the judges, and a third by Clive. I'd be interested in what song he picks for Kat- he has a history of producing for divas, and with her being a mini-diva, I'd think he'd like her.

Don't be so sure about Chris votes being anti-Kat.
Snaggletooth & Taylor the Hick are such a 180 that they would probably want to see Kat win. (like me)
The way I see it, I would take ANYONE other than those two (even Pickler)...

OxDiesel
05-11-06, 06:03 PM

I see Snaggletooth as more a Clay Aiken, performing at the Rockefeller Tree Lighting.
Taylor the Hick?? He's a novelty act. He's William Hung with a better voice...

JfromJersey
05-11-06, 06:12 PM
Well, I'll be rooting for Taylor. I'm one of those who wasn't bored by Chris and thought he was the most marketable. But I'm one of the few who has been crying for an idol who sang rock since season one (Bo was great to have last year) -- I like that more than bland pop or bland R&B. However, Chris was the "frontrunner" and with that comes the "backlash". I hope he takes up the Fuel offer or continues to work with a band.

At this point I think Taylor has it in the bag. He may be kind of strange, but I think he has more of the qualities that the winner usually has than Kat (who is inconsistent) or Elliot (who has zero charisma and will quickly go the way of Ruben if he wins). Of course, that's my opinion.

As for the most successful past contestant, it may end up being Jennifer Hudson from season three -- she's starring in that Dreamgirls movie with Beyonce and Jamie Foxx coming out in the winter (ie Big!Oscar!Movie time). Of course, the movie could also suck and she could fade into obscurity. Kelly is the only winner who really became a Pop Idol -- Carrie is only charting in Country (although she's done very well in sales) and Ruben and Fantasia were successful on R&B stations, but not in the mainstream.

Like you, if I had to handicap this stretch run, I would make Taylor the favorite, but I'm going to say it again..he's not as good a singer as either Elliot or Kat, and I can't see people running out in droves to buy a Taylor Hicks album.
As for AI alumni, I'm a bit surprised that LaToya London hasn't done anything of note. Constantine (aka Corny) has his own band, but I don't know if it's done anything yet, and the last I heard of Bo Bice was him getting arrested for assault or something to that effect. Also, a former AI contestant (forget his name) just opened on Broadway as Tarzan.. a musical with songs by Phil Collins, which got bad reviews.

OxDiesel
05-11-06, 06:14 PM
Like you, if I had to handicap this stretch run, I would make Taylor the favorite, but I'm going to say it again..he's not as good a singer as either Elliot or Kat, and I can't see people running out in droves to buy a Taylor Hicks album.
As for AI alumni, I'm a bit surprised that LaToya London hasn't done anything of note. Constantine (aka Corny) has his own band, but I don't know if it's done anything yet, and the last I heard of Bo Bice was him getting arrested for assault or something to that effect. Also, a former AI contestant (forget his name) just opened on Broadway as Tarzan.. a musical with songs by Phil Collins, which got bad reviews.

Actually, Bo's got a Top-40 single ("The Real Thing") that is starting to get some play. It's actually decent, too...

keg411
05-11-06, 06:16 PM
Also, a former AI contestant (forget his name) just opened on Broadway as Tarzan.. a musical with songs by Phil Collins, which got bad reviews.

It's sad that I know who you're talking about, but that's Josh Strickland. He made it to Hollywood in Season Two (I think... maybe have been season 3), but didn't make it to the semifinals.

SheffRocks11
05-11-06, 06:23 PM
Too bad for Chris, I liked him. :(

rock
05-11-06, 06:31 PM
Here's a nice interview with Chris after he was voted out.

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1193305_3_0_,00.html

ALR83
05-11-06, 07:13 PM

Kat needs to be on top of her game next week. If she is I can see her making it to the final. I think Elliot can go either way for people, some love him and some don't. I don't. His voice isn't strong enough for me, it's very shaky. He had one week where he completely blew me away, but that was it. Kat and Taylor are my favorites left and I will vote my ass off next week for both of them lol. Kat's problem is she over sings, she tries too hard. And she doesn't need to because she has a beautiful voice.

OxDiesel
05-11-06, 07:20 PM
Here's a nice interview with Chris after he was voted out.

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1193305_3_0_,00.html

I'm actually a little disappointed I won't get to hear "Dream On".
Without question, it would have been THE SHOWSTOPPER.
That would have been goooooood.

Hey -- time to move on...

Barb51850
05-11-06, 09:02 PM
Kat needs to be on top of her game next week. If she is I can see her making it to the final. I think Elliot can go either way for people, some love him and some don't. I don't. His voice isn't strong enough for me, it's very shaky. He had one week where he completely blew me away, but that was it. Kat and Taylor are my favorites left and I will vote my ass off next week for both of them lol. Kat's problem is she over sings, she tries too hard. And she doesn't need to because she has a beautiful voice.

Elliott's voice is shaky because he has a natural vibrato. Of course, it's not to everyone's taste and one has to like that style of voice. I happen to love it, and wish I had one. I'm the opposite - my voice has zero vibrato. Some singers (like David Bowie) have a fast vibrato, and others have a slow one.

krystl
05-11-06, 10:38 PM
Actually, Bo's got a Top-40 single ("The Real Thing") that is starting to get some play. It's actually decent, too...
I love that song...it's the ringtone on my cellphone. :)

I've seen the video on MTV and various radio stations play the Real Thing pretty often. :D (Can you tell I was a big Bo Bice fan last season?)

Barb51850
05-11-06, 11:12 PM
I love that song...it's the ringtone on my cellphone. :)

I've seen the video on MTV and various radio stations play the Real Thing pretty often. :D (Can you tell I was a big Bo Bice fan last season?)

I was also a Bo fan. I thought he was much better than Carrie.

krystl
05-11-06, 11:19 PM
I was also a Bo fan. I thought he was much better than Carrie.
At first I was disappointed he didn't win, but I think he was better off, not being tied to AI's strict contract. I honestly think he was happy Carrie won.

YankeesFanNuffSaid
05-12-06, 03:28 AM
I would hardly consider Fuel a "true" rock band.
I think I might have heard Steve (Hitman23) choke on his dinner... :eek:

Agreed, but don't tell that to any Partridge Family fan. :D

Trish
05-12-06, 06:54 AM
I'm actually a little disappointed I won't get to hear "Dream On".
Without question, it would have been THE SHOWSTOPPER.
That would have been goooooood.

Hey -- time to move on...
Ox...step away from the keyboard....you're putting way to much thought into all this :lol:

OxDiesel
05-12-06, 11:58 AM
Ox...step away from the keyboard....you're putting way to much thought into all this :lol:

EXACTLY -- that's why it's time to move on...

jlw1980
05-12-06, 02:56 PM
Utto! Was there a screw-up??

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12748906/

Updated: 10:56 a.m. ET May 12, 2006
"American Idol" sent rocker Chris Daughtry home Wednesday night, but Daughtry's fans aren't quite ready to let him go. At least one online petition, with more than 16,000 names attached, is calling for a recount of the "American Idol" votes.

MSNBC.com has received numerous e-mails and bulletin board posts claiming that voters who dialed the first of Daughtry's two phone numbers were greeted by a recorded message from "Idol" singer Katharine McPhee, thanking the caller for voting for her. According to Wednesday night's show, McPhee received the second-lowest number of votes, after Daughtry. The Associated Press cited Tracey Adams, a family friend of Daughtry's, saying that fans from his North Carolina hometown were among those who heard another contestant's voice when calling for Daughtry.

jlw1980
05-12-06, 02:59 PM
Maybe Chris doesn't want a recount....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12746227/

RALEIGH, N.C. - Getting booted from “American Idol” this week is going to launch the music career he’s dreamed about his entire life, Chris Daughtry said Thursday.

He didn’t have to wait long — hours later he was offered a job with the band Fuel.

“I’m a songwriter myself,” the 26-year-old told reporters Thursday, one day after viewers shocked just about everyone and voted him off the TV talent show. “To be able to launch my own career would be a dream” come true.

OxDiesel
05-12-06, 04:32 PM
Utto! Was there a screw-up??

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12748906/

Updated: 10:56 a.m. ET May 12, 2006
"American Idol" sent rocker Chris Daughtry home Wednesday night, but Daughtry's fans aren't quite ready to let him go. At least one online petition, with more than 16,000 names attached, is calling for a recount of the "American Idol" votes.

MSNBC.com has received numerous e-mails and bulletin board posts claiming that voters who dialed the first of Daughtry's two phone numbers were greeted by a recorded message from "Idol" singer Katharine McPhee, thanking the caller for voting for her. According to Wednesday night's show, McPhee received the second-lowest number of votes, after Daughtry. The Associated Press cited Tracey Adams, a family friend of Daughtry's, saying that fans from his North Carolina hometown were among those who heard another contestant's voice when calling for Daughtry.

You know, I heard this story on the radio this morning, but I mean, enough already.
As great as it would have been to hear him cover "Dream On", it's over.

It amazes me how SERIOUSLY people actually end up taking this stuff.
As much as I liked the guy, I said it earlier -- time to move on....

I've already started to try & figure out ways to get Bonds in Pinstripes...
(sorry, wrong thread :bad:)

ALR83
05-13-06, 12:41 AM
You know, I heard this story on the radio this morning, but I mean, enough already.
As great as it would have been to hear him cover "Dream On", it's over.

It amazes me how SERIOUSLY people actually end up taking this stuff.
As much as I liked the guy, I said it earlier -- time to move on....

I've already started to try & figure out ways to get Bonds in Pinstripes...
(sorry, wrong thread :bad:)

Wow that voting thing sucks. It's probably best for him though not to have the 'American Idol winner' label attached to him. I really would have loved to have heard "Dream On" though, I love that song.

Barb51850
05-13-06, 08:40 AM
This was posted on the American Idol site message board. Interesting.

Since so many people simply cannot comprehend how things could have gone so terribly wrong for Chris Daughtrey in this competition, I will offer my explanation. It really all came down to Chris's stubbornness to compromise his vocal style in an attempt to broaden his support base. As a bona fide rocker, Chris had more than enough support to coast for a long time with a large, but mostly stagnant, voting block. Back in the earlier stage of the competiton when the voting pie was split up 12 - 10- 8 different ways, this voting block was enough for the apparent golden boy, but when the voting pie is only split into 4 pieces, it is now obvious that he had not picked up enough support along the way to go the distance. Look at it this way: if you're a Kelly Pickler fan, and your favorite is suddenly gone, who do you vote for then? Chris Daughtrey?! Uhhh- no, I don't think so. Most of her supprt is probably behind Kat now. How about the Paris supporters out there; were they going to jump on Chris Daughtrey's bandwagon once she was gone? Again- no way. I'll bet the lion's share of her votes have gone to Elliot, the only viable R&B singer that is still left. See, to win American Idol, you have to be able to pick up the supporters of the departing contestantsts while maintaining your own fan base. Chris didn't do that- not very smart of him. His lack of appeal for those who don't care for harsh throbbing rock music, a large majority of the people voting on Tuesday night, I can assure you, proved his undoing. As Simon rightly pointed out, Chris, week after week, remained true to himself, but it was this steadfastness that sealed his fate.

http://myidol.americanidol.com/boards/topic.aspx?tid=357092

yankeebot
05-13-06, 08:44 AM
That is a great explanation, Barb. It is a shame that Chris did not see it that way as I think he could have easily picked up the R&B voters had he chose to try. You would think after this many years of this show, contestants would be more focused on how to win and not just on their own style.

Barb51850
05-13-06, 09:14 AM
That is a great explanation, Barb. It is a shame that Chris did not see it that way as I think he could have easily picked up the R&B voters had he chose to try. You would think after this many years of this show, contestants would be more focused on how to win and not just on their own style.

What will Chris's fans do now? IMO, they'll either vote for one of the guys, or not vote at all. Unless Katherine totally nails all 3 songs, and the guys completely fall on their faces, she's gone. I've been hoping for an Elliott/Taylor final, and I may get my wish. I like both of them, so matter who wins I'll be happy. It all depends on what happens Tuesday of course.

OxDiesel
05-13-06, 11:06 AM
What will Chris's fans do now? IMO, they'll either vote for one of the guys, or not vote at all. Unless Katherine totally nails all 3 songs, and the guys completely fall on their faces, she's gone. I've been hoping for an Elliott/Taylor final, and I may get my wish. I like both of them, so matter who wins I'll be happy. It all depends on what happens Tuesday of course.

More than likely, I think many will probably not vote at all.
I know I won't. (not that I did before...)

ritaylnil
05-13-06, 11:22 AM
My favorites have been Chris and Katharine since they were down to 12, so I'd be likely to vote for Katharine now. I don't think all of a contestant's fan base are of like mind about the other contestants, so it's hard to really know what will happen next. If Katharine really blows it, I won't vote for her, though.

krystl
05-13-06, 11:41 AM
More than likely, I think many will probably not vote at all.
I know I won't. (not that I did before...)
I agree. Most people who have a favorite and vote for them week after week, will not bother to place their vote elsewhere once their favorite is gone.

I don't even vote anymore, even though I still like pretty much everyone in the competition. I just got tired of calling and calling and getting busy signals. It became a pain in the butt.

keg411
05-13-06, 12:41 PM
I've only voted a couple of time, but since Chris is gone, I'll probably vote for Taylor the next two weeks because I won't be able to stand to see Elliot or (to a lesser degree) Kat win this thing. If Snaggletooth Goatboy wins this, I'll be pissed (although I hated both Fantasia and Carrie and they both won, so maybe my taste just doesn't agree with America's).

krystl
05-13-06, 01:21 PM
I hated Fantasia but like Carrie. I liked Bo better though.

jlw1980
05-13-06, 02:32 PM
I hated Fantasia but like Carrie. I liked Bo better though.

Same here. I wanted Bo to win, and voted for him in the final. He seems to be doing well, though. :)

And I don't have a big problem with Carrie, either.

yeahimweird
05-14-06, 02:58 AM
Elliott/Taylor final two...I'm calling it right now.

Barb51850
05-14-06, 07:43 AM
If Snaggletooth Goatboy wins this, I'll be pissed.

Then I hope Elliott wins.

Trish
05-14-06, 11:16 AM
Then I hope Elliott wins.
Me too! :clapping:

keg411
05-14-06, 12:52 PM
Me too! :clapping:

And this is, of course, why I never ever ever like the winner.

:lol:

krystl
05-14-06, 02:12 PM
I could go for either Taylor or Elliott winning. I like Kat, but I like an underdog story better. :)

RhodeyYankee2638
05-14-06, 02:19 PM
Whats the theme this week?

krystl
05-14-06, 02:26 PM
I think someone said there's no theme...there are 3 songs and each is picked by the judges, the contestant and someone else.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-14-06, 02:34 PM
I think someone said there's no theme...there are 3 songs and each is picked by the judges, the contestant and someone else.

Awsome, I want to see Eliot do gangsta rap

Trish
05-14-06, 02:36 PM

I think Clive Davis picks the other song.

This is what I read were the judge's choices:

Taylor - You are so beautiful (Randy's pick)

Elliott - What You Won't Do For Love (Paula's pick)

Katharine - Over the Rainbow (Simon's pick)

Barb51850
05-14-06, 05:24 PM
And this is, of course, why I never ever ever like the winner.

:lol:

:roflmao:

(You're like my best friend. Every TV show she likes gets cancelled after the first season.)

Barb51850
05-14-06, 05:26 PM
I think Clive Davis picks the other song.

This is what I read were the judge's choices:

Taylor - You are so beautiful (Randy's pick)

Elliott - What You Won't Do For Love (Paula's pick)

Katharine - Over the Rainbow (Simon's pick)

Wow, Simon gave Katherine a tough one. It will either make or break her. I wish her luck. That's a very unforgiving song. Hopefully she'll sing it straight and not try to embellish it too much.

Barb51850
05-14-06, 06:00 PM
Copied this from www.americanidol.com

I understand that Taylor has:
Randy's- "You are so Beautiful"
Clive's- "Walking in Memphis"
Taylor's- "Try a Little Tenderness"

Katherine will be singing
Somewhere over the Rainbow
The First time ever I saw your face
Man, I feel like a woman.

JfromJersey
05-14-06, 06:21 PM
Wow, Simon gave Katherine a tough one. It will either make or break her. I wish her luck. That's a very unforgiving song. Hopefully she'll sing it straight and not try to embellish it too much.

Agreed.
If she sings it straight and with heartfelt emotion she can bring the house down with a song like that. If she tries her Mariah or Christina impersonation, she will be making a big mistake.

Barb51850
05-14-06, 07:10 PM
Agreed.
If she sings it straight and with heartfelt emotion she can bring the house down with a song like that. If she tries her Mariah or Christina impersonation, she will be making a big mistake.

She will also be doing "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face." OMG, I don't envy her having to do THAT one.:eek: It's a beautiful song, but I don't recall anyone else singing it except Roberta Flack. Very tough because of the slower-than-slow tempo. Katherine has 2 difficult songs.

ritaylnil
05-14-06, 09:08 PM
Copied this from www.americanidol.com (http://www.americanidol.com)

What about Elliot?

rock
05-14-06, 09:12 PM
Copied this from www.americanidol.com (http://www.americanidol.com)

I guess that's the Shania Twain song for Kat? That's song sucks. Fun song, but an easy song to sing. One of the judges picked it last year for Carrie during the same week.

Barb51850
05-14-06, 10:11 PM
What about Elliot?

Haven't heard or seen anything regarding what Elliott is singing.

krystl
05-15-06, 11:23 AM
I love Walking in Memphis. I hope Taylor nails it.
As for You are so Beautiful, that should be a natural for his voice.

Luvtino
05-15-06, 05:39 PM
It looks like Katharine got saddles with some very hard songs. She will either sink or swim.

Taylor's songs seem very well suited to his voice and style. I don't see them as very challenging as compared with Katharine's so it could hurt him if he falters. Chances are he still wins the whole thing.

I am curious to see what E is given to sing. If the song Paula picked is the one I think it is, I like it for him.

I would like the choices for all the contestants to be good for their individual voices and equally challenging. We shall see.

JfromJersey
05-15-06, 05:52 PM
I can't understand all this Katherine hate that's going around. Linda Stasi in today's Post called her a pod person. These people know absolutely nothing about her. What is she, 21 years old? She's a lovely, and talented young woman, whose entire personality is judged on a few facial expressions that rub some people the wrong way. I hope she nails her songs tomorrow.

Luvtino
05-15-06, 05:54 PM
I can't understand all this Katherine hate that's going around. Linda Stasi in today's Post called her a pod person. These people know absolutely nothing about her. What is she, 21 years old? She's a lovely, and talented young woman, whose entire personality is judged on a few facial expressions that rub some people the wrong way. I hope she nails her songs tomorrow.

I saw that article. It was horribly unkind. Katharine is a beautiful woman and seems to have handled herself with grace and class.

IronCaballo4
05-15-06, 06:00 PM
no Katharine hate from me :D oh baby

jlw1980
05-15-06, 06:13 PM

I haven't heard of any "Katherine hate." :-shrug-:

PettittesPrincess
05-15-06, 06:19 PM
I haven't gotten into the show really this season much... these last 3 don't really seem all that great, hopefully though it isn't Elliot :barf:

JfromJersey
05-15-06, 06:32 PM

There's plenty of stuff going around, about how she's arrogant, and phony.
Stasi's column today ("Anyone but Kat"), really got under my skin, because her attacks had little to do with Kat's talent, and lots to do with her personality. How Linda Stasi knows what kind of a person Kat is, without having met her, is beyond me.

jlw1980
05-15-06, 06:54 PM
There's plenty of stuff going around, about how she's arrogant, and phony.
Stasi's column today ("Anyone but Kat"), really got under my skin, because her attacks had little to do with Kat's talent, and lots to do with her personality. How Linda Stasi knows what kind of a person Kat is, without having met her, is beyond me.

Who's Linda Stasi, and why does anyone care what she thinks? I've never even heard of her. I don't see how anyone could say Kat's phony. She's no Pickler, thank G-d. :barf:

RhodeyYankee2638
05-15-06, 06:56 PM
I remember Simon said something about Kat being mediocre and her respsonse was "at least I look good"

Trish
05-15-06, 07:22 PM
You should read the American Idol website forums. What a bunch of ignorant boobs.

jlw1980
05-15-06, 07:25 PM
You should read the American Idol website forums. What a bunch of ignorant boobs.

That is precisely the reason I don't read them. :lol:

DanB
05-15-06, 08:24 PM

huh huh...she said "boobs"

rock
05-16-06, 01:05 AM
I remember Simon said something about Kat being mediocre and her respsonse was "at least I look good"

Are you sure that wasn't Pickler commenting about her shoes?

Trish
05-16-06, 07:43 AM
It looks like the earlier songs listed that were Clive Davis' picks were incorrect. This is from ET online:

For Elliott: OPEN ARMS

For Katherine: I BELIEVE I CAN FLY

For Taylor: DANCING IN THE DARK

http://et.tv.yahoo.com/tv/14747/

gdn
05-16-06, 07:51 AM
Only one song per contestant?

Edit: I should have read the article. Three songs!

Trish
05-16-06, 07:53 AM
Only one song per contestant?
No, there are 3.

One choice from Clive Davis, one choice by the judges, and one by the contestant.

gdn
05-16-06, 08:24 AM
No, there are 3.

One choice from Clive Davis, one choice by the judges, and one by the contestant.Yeah, I noticed that right after my post. Thanks :)

Should be exciting tonight! I hope Taylor makes it through :D

RhodeyYankee2638
05-16-06, 10:18 AM
Are you sure that wasn't Pickler commenting about her shoes?

yeah im positive

Luvtino
05-16-06, 08:13 PM
What did they say about E's first song?! I missed most of it and the comments. :(

DanB
05-16-06, 08:27 PM
I heard Taylor's doing "Try a little Tenderness"...all I keep thinking about is that scene from Bull Durham.

"She may get wooley...some girls they get wooley because of all the stress"

Luvtino
05-16-06, 08:34 PM
WOW!! Katharine really did just give the performance of the season. I am glad the judges acknowledged it. I still hope she wins.

1yanks1
05-16-06, 08:37 PM
Kat was AMAZING!! She blew me away with that song! loved it!!

rock
05-16-06, 09:14 PM
Kat was incredible with Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I felt nervous for her during that performance. It does seem that the judges have been a bit hard of her. Seems like Simon is her biggest fan of the judges.

JfromJersey
05-16-06, 09:17 PM
Taylor will make it to the grand finale even though his performance of "Try a little Tenderness" must have made Otis Redding turn over in his grave. Enough with the spastic gyrations already.
The only Kat supporter left among the judges is Simon, but everyone at least had to admit that her performance of "Over the Rainbow" was the best of the evening.
Elliott is good vocally but he still has the worst stage presence of the 3, although it's gotten better recently. His own song choice did nothing for me.

I don't know whether Elliott or Kat will go, but it's a cinch that Taylor and his "soul patrol" will make it to the final week.

ALR83
05-16-06, 09:37 PM
Kat was incredible with Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I felt nervous for her during that performance. It does seem that the judges have been a bit hard of her. Seems like Simon is her biggest fan of the judges.

The judges were hard on her, but I felt like she came off so rude with the faces and comments she made to them. I still love her voice so I'm voting for her.

I was afraid she was going to ruin 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' because I adore that song, but she did great. I wanted to cry lol.

Luvtino
05-16-06, 09:40 PM
I am worried about Katharine, but I have said that for the last few weeks so hopefully I am worrying once again for nothing.

I agree that Taylor will fly through to the finals. Truth is, I think he will win it all. I don't think his voice is as good as Katharine's or E's, but he is a vg entertainer and he can get the job done under pressure.

Katharine had the song of not just the night but the season. E wasn't bad, but he had the worst night so he should go. We don't know which way those voting for Chris will vote now, but they could be mad that Katharine was in the bottom 2 last week and stayed and now vote for one of the others. Should be interesting.

#1PaFan
05-16-06, 09:49 PM
I am worried about Katharine, but I have said that for the last few weeks so hopefully I am worrying once again for nothing.

I agree that Taylor will fly through to the finals. Truth is, I think he will win it all. I don't think his voice is as good as Katharine's or E's, but he is a vg entertainer and he can get the job done under pressure.

Katharine had the song of not just the night but the season. E wasn't bad, but he had the worst night so he should go. We don't know which way those voting for Chris will vote now, but they could be mad that Katharine was in the bottom 2 last week and stayed and now vote for one of the others. Should be interesting.

I'm still devastated that Luvtino has a male roommate.

Barb51850
05-16-06, 10:03 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I think Katherine is very full of herself. When the judges were commenting on the first song, she said something like "You've been hard on me the last couple of weeks." What does she expect? Praise on everything she sings? Even Over the Rainbow didn't impress me. What's with the sitting down? Everything she does is too over the top. I'm tired of watching her shake her hair, and listening to her try to sound like Mariah or Christina. The blues song was terrible. She's not a blues singer, and I hated it.

I'm rooting for Taylor and Elliott to be there next week. Taylor is fantastic and I think he'll win it all.

Big_E
05-16-06, 10:12 PM
After tonight, I think there's no doubt my two favorites all season make the finale -- Kat and Taylor.

Mattpat11
05-16-06, 10:24 PM
Kat was incredible with Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I felt nervous for her during that performance. It does seem that the judges have been a bit hard of her. Seems like Simon is her biggest fan of the judges. That was amazing. And its all because she didnt try to screech the song or change the pace or make it a pop song. That was the way to sing the song, and she knocked it out of the park.

PettittesPrincess
05-16-06, 10:34 PM
The judges were hard on her, but I felt like she came off so rude with the faces and comments she made to them. I still love her voice so I'm voting for her.

I was afraid she was going to ruin 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' because I adore that song, but she did great. I wanted to cry lol.

I love that song and i was really scared she was going to butcher it too... thank goodness she didn't! Hope she wins this thing, I don't get why so many people don't like her.

rock
05-16-06, 10:55 PM
Paula wants Elliot to win and Randy has predicted a boy was going to win from day one so I'm sure Kat feels like those 2 are biased towards her. I hope she wins it but I assume Taylor will win it.

Barb51850
05-16-06, 10:59 PM
I love that song and i was really scared she was going to butcher it too... thank goodness she didn't! Hope she wins this thing, I don't get why so many people don't like her.

I noticed tonight that she rolled her eyes at a comment by one of the judges, and said "I didn't pick the song!" No, but it was her responsibility to sing it as best she could. Sorry, I don't like her and think she's arrogant.

Luvtino
05-16-06, 10:59 PM
I'm still devastated that Luvtino has a male roommate.

Sorry pal. Maybe these will help. (o)(o) ;)

PettittesPrincess
05-16-06, 11:06 PM
I noticed tonight that she rolled her eyes at a comment by one of the judges, and said "I didn't pick the song!" No, but it was her responsibility to sing it as best she could. Sorry, I don't like her and think she's arrogant.

I think to be successful in any competition one needs to be confident, which she apparently is. It will probably end up being the 2 guys though in the final :barf:

Trish
05-16-06, 11:09 PM
Kat made me cry with that performance. I think it was perfection. That said, I think her other two performances were not very good at all. The last one was like a cabaret performance or something.

keg411
05-16-06, 11:32 PM
I don't usually like Katharine, but I loved her performance of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". I was afraid she was going to go off into vocal theaterics universe towards the end -- but she didn't. Great job.

I only saw Elliot's "Open Arms", and I don't like him anyway, but it was weak.

Taylor was good (though I was underwhelmed with "You Are So Beautiful"), and is still my favorite, but I'm really happy Clive picked "Dancing in the Dark" primarily because it is one of my favorite songs. Like Simon said, it was nowhere near Bruce, but it was great to hear on the show -- and I loved Taylor's little shoutout to the video.

YankeesFanNuffSaid
05-17-06, 12:54 AM
Tonight's performances.

#1 by far - Taylor

a distant # 2 - Kat

Buh bye, Elliot. Great guy, awful choice of songs, and lackluster performances. I've come to realize that he's a one trick pony like Chris. Elliot's Dony Hathaway and Stevie Wonder impersonations can only take him so far.

I'm pulling for Taylor to go all the way because he's likable and a great entertainer. Kat, as hot as she is, is a diva who thinks her poop doesn't stink. Her reactions - those eye rolls and faces she make when the judges make a legitimate negative comment about her performances - make her very unlikable.

JfromJersey
05-17-06, 01:39 AM
If Elliott gets the boot watch Paula freak out on the air.

JfromJersey
05-17-06, 01:50 AM

Her comment was in response to Randy's stating that "I Believe I Can Fly" was a bad song choice for her. It was, but she didn't choose it. She was just defending herself. I don't find her arrogant. She's just honest with her feelings, and it rubs some people the wrong way. Don't worry though. No one's going to stop Mr.Soul Patrol as he bumps, grinds, and gyrates his way to the top of the heap.

jlw1980
05-17-06, 01:52 AM
If Elliott gets the boot watch Paula freak out on the air.

Agreed. I'd bet on it. That woman is a kook.

ALR83
05-17-06, 02:09 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I think Katherine is very full of herself. When the judges were commenting on the first song, she said something like "You've been hard on me the last couple of weeks." What does she expect? Praise on everything she sings? Even Over the Rainbow didn't impress me. What's with the sitting down? Everything she does is too over the top. I'm tired of watching her shake her hair, and listening to her try to sound like Mariah or Christina. The blues song was terrible. She's not a blues singer, and I hated it.

I actually agree with your comments about Kat, the talking back to the judges tonight was not right. I don't think it matters if she didn't pick the song, you have to sing it and deal with what they say. That was an insult to Clive Davis imo.

I loved 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow', but her other two songs were not that great, especially the last one which I thought was kind of awful. Still, I like her and I love her voice when she sings to her ability, not above. So I'm pulling for her. And Taylor. Taylor is my boy. :lol:

Barb51850
05-17-06, 07:12 AM
I think to be successful in any competition one needs to be confident, which she apparently is. It will probably end up being the 2 guys though in the final :barf:

IMO, rolling your eyes and complaining that the judges have been hard on you is not being confident, it's being immature. They are hard on everyone, not just her. I think she will be in the final though, with Taylor winning.

ritaylnil
05-17-06, 07:35 AM
I really have never understood the anti-Katharine sentiment. She's a lovely young woman. Let's face it, the Judges can be totally out there in their comments, at times. I'd be rolling my eyes, too. It's not so much that they may not like someone's performance, but the bizarre way they put it that's strange, at times. This year it has been painfully obvious, especially these last couple of weeks, that they are trying to steer the voting, showing obvious bias. That irks me.

DanB
05-17-06, 07:45 AM
I can definately understand Kat's frustration toward the judges since the only one who ever gives any sort of useful advice is Simon, and that is only some of the time. Randy gives worthless criticism, Paula is usually drunk and always positive. At this point in the competition you want the supposed "experts" to give you some feedback you can use to get better.

Trish
05-17-06, 07:57 AM
I re-watched her performances because when I watched the first time, I thought she flubbed her lyrics again in the first song. She did, and watching it back, it was pretty glaring. I know nerves get the better of her, but she's got to get it together if she's going to go to the final. She won't stand a chance since Taylor is used to performing in front of a crowd.

I think Elliott is going home after last night's performances. I'm still a fan, but that last song that he picked bought his plane ticket home. Why he picked something that wasn't familiar is beyone me,

allybear
05-17-06, 08:27 AM
First: if someone has to pick a song for me to sing, I'm making it the judges. The songs they picked were everyone's best, followed by Clive's, followed by the contestant's own picks, which seems bizarre, but it was definitely true.

Elliott: I am always harder on people when they sing songs I really like, and poor Elliott got two: "Open Arms" and "What You Won't Do For Love". "Open Arms" was an interesting choice for him - he messed up on the words too - obviously, he's singing a condensed version, but I am pretty sure he got the last and next-to-last run-throughs of the refrain backwards. Overall, it was kind of "meh" - nothing horrible, nothing special. "What You Won't Do For Love" was a great choice for him and he did a really good job on it. The last one did nothing for me - I figured it would be better than it was, even if I never heard of it, I figured something written by Ray Charles and originally sung by Donny Hathaway would be a home run for Elliott, and it was more or less a bloop single. And...what happened to the stylists...he has that garden gnome look back!

Katherine: I haven't been the biggest Kat fan all season - I haven't hated her, I just haven't been crazy about her. However, I didn't hate "I Believe I Can Fly" (and she looked great in that blue dress), "Over The Rainbow (a song I hate and despise more than I can tell you) was really really really good, and the last one was not bad. I know she's sensitive about the comparisons to every other female ballad singer out there, but not for nothing, that's who she is, that's who she's trying to be, and if she wins, she's gonna be getting the songs that would have been going to Whitney if Whitney wasn't a crackhead, so it's a little late in the game to decide to get all bluesy on us. But...talk about peaking at the right time...to me, she's the winner.

Taylor: OK, I haven't felt all the Taylor love all year - sometimes I like him, sometimes I don't. "Dancing in the Dark" was cute - nothing special - am I the only person (yeah, I know I'm the only person old enough to remember it) who thought of the original video with Bruce Springsteen and Courtney Cox when he was dancing with Paula? :lol: It may have suffered from that thing where if I really like a song, I'm hard on it, because that is an all-time favorite of mine. He did fine on "You Are So Beautiful", a song I hate and a really bad comparison, because I think he's heard enough Joe Cocker comparisions just because without actually doing one of his songs! Taylor gets major major points for actually picking a song for himself that he'd do well with - "Try A Little Tenderness" was a great choice for him and he did a really good job with it.

Overall: I think the finalists are Kat and Taylor, and I pick Katharine to win, which means Taylor will (I haven't liked anyone who's won yet, if she didn't do so well on "Over the Rainbow", I'd probably say she'd be gone tonight with my picking luck!)

Last Useless Comment: I really liked that dress Paula was wearing.

TheBamTino24
05-17-06, 08:52 AM
The reason Simon's song worked so well for Katharine, as did "Black Horse and Cherry Tree," is because it forces her to stay within herself. Any listener can see that occassionally she overdoes it...you don't need to belt out every freaking lyric girl! The judges have been trying to tell her this all season, but someone needs to sit her down and say, "Yo, check it out, it's hot if you stay within the song." lol

Her heights are still higher than Taylor's or Elliot's. It should be "McPhever vs. Soul Patrol" in the final.

krystl
05-17-06, 09:10 AM
Dancing in the Dark" was cute - nothing special - am I the only person (yeah, I know I'm the only person old enough to remember it) who thought of the original video with Bruce Springsteen and Courtney Cox when he was dancing with Paula?
Ya know Ally, I didn't catch that last night, but watching it back now...YES!! I remember that video with a very young Courtney Cox and it did remind me of that now that you mentioned it!

Kat did great with Rainbow, but I sill think Taylor had 3 solid performances to her one (You Are So Beautiful actually brought tears to my eyes), so I think he'll go all the way. Poor Elliott...bye bye.

Soul Patrol!!

NYYfan24
05-17-06, 09:48 AM
First: if someone has to pick a song for me to sing, I'm making it the judges. The songs they picked were everyone's best, followed by Clive's, followed by the contestant's own picks, which seems bizarre, but it was definitely true.

Elliott: I am always harder on people when they sing songs I really like, and poor Elliott got two: "Open Arms" and "What You Won't Do For Love". "Open Arms" was an interesting choice for him - he messed up on the words too - obviously, he's singing a condensed version, but I am pretty sure he got the last and next-to-last run-throughs of the refrain backwards. Overall, it was kind of "meh" - nothing horrible, nothing special. "What You Won't Do For Love" was a great choice for him and he did a really good job on it. The last one did nothing for me - I figured it would be better than it was, even if I never heard of it, I figured something written by Ray Charles and originally sung by Donny Hathaway would be a home run for Elliott, and it was more or less a bloop single. And...what happened to the stylists...he has that garden gnome look back!

Katherine: I haven't been the biggest Kat fan all season - I haven't hated her, I just haven't been crazy about her. However, I didn't hate "I Believe I Can Fly" (and she looked great in that blue dress), "Over The Rainbow (a song I hate and despise more than I can tell you) was really really really good, and the last one was not bad. I know she's sensitive about the comparisons to every other female ballad singer out there, but not for nothing, that's who she is, that's who she's trying to be, and if she wins, she's gonna be getting the songs that would have been going to Whitney if Whitney wasn't a crackhead, so it's a little late in the game to decide to get all bluesy on us. But...talk about peaking at the right time...to me, she's the winner.

Taylor: OK, I haven't felt all the Taylor love all year - sometimes I like him, sometimes I don't. "Dancing in the Dark" was cute - nothing special - am I the only person (yeah, I know I'm the only person old enough to remember it) who thought of the original video with Bruce Springsteen and Courtney Cox when he was dancing with Paula? :lol: It may have suffered from that thing where if I really like a song, I'm hard on it, because that is an all-time favorite of mine. He did fine on "You Are So Beautiful", a song I hate and a really bad comparison, because I think he's heard enough Joe Cocker comparisions just because without actually doing one of his songs! Taylor gets major major points for actually picking a song for himself that he'd do well with - "Try A Little Tenderness" was a great choice for him and he did a really good job with it.

Overall: I think the finalists are Kat and Taylor, and I pick Katharine to win, which means Taylor will (I haven't liked anyone who's won yet, if she didn't do so well on "Over the Rainbow", I'd probably say she'd be gone tonight with my picking luck!)

Last Useless Comment: I really liked that dress Paula was wearing.

Agreed for the most part. Kat gave me goosebumps from the 1st note of "Over the Rainbow". Amazing. I told my husband that if I heard one negative word from the judges...I'd stop watching.

Unlike some comments I've read...I was happy she defended herself. I don't understand why almost every female singer is off limits for her to sing. Just amazes me! I think the cards were stacked from the beginning...only male "celebrity help"... and only comparing the girls to the originals. Of course, they were not as good as Whitney in her prime...I would yell at the tv...judge them...don't compare!

I picked Kat & Taylor from early on...and I've loved Taylor. That being said... I really didn't care for his version of "You are so beautiful"... I thought he sounded weak and it showed his weak voice. He's an excellent showman..and that will probably win it for him. Loved "Dancing in the Dark" ...why not compare him to Springsteen...if all is equal.

Elliott, oh Elliott...love you...but I think it's your time to leave.

TinoFan84
05-17-06, 10:30 AM
I didn't watch last night, beyond the first songs they did ... I've got it on tape, but I'm not sure if I'll watch it or not. Sounds like I should give Kat's second performance a look, though, so maybe I will.

I honestly don't care who wins now that Chris is out - and I agree with whoever it was that said the dancing with Paula reminded them of the Springsteen video - it's the very first thing I thought of, and probably exactly WHY he did it.

TinoFan84
05-17-06, 10:34 AM

Ok, I know I'm a week late with this, and y'all probably don't care, but I'm gonna say two things about this and then be done:

1. I never said Chris was a "serious" rocker, the question was why are they calling him a "rocker", hence my explanation.

2. Creed is no longer trying to project any kind of image, "forced" or otherwise, they broke up years ago (2004 to be exact).

I'm done ...

YankeesFanNuffSaid
05-17-06, 11:22 AM
Ok, I know I'm a week late with this, and y'all probably don't care, but I'm gonna say two things about this and then be done:

1. I never said Chris was a "serious" rocker, the question was why are they calling him a "rocker", hence my explanation.

2. Creed is no longer trying to project any kind of image, "forced" or otherwise, they broke up years ago (2004 to be exact).

I'm done ...

I agree with what you're saying here and wasn't disputing anything you said. I was just giving my own thoughts.

YankeesFanNuffSaid
05-17-06, 11:27 AM

I agree with you. This year it was hers to win if only she sung within herself and didn't try to oversing and continually try to impress and show off her vocal chords. I'm sure that her arrogance and rudeness doesn't help her in the voting either.

I do have to give her some credit on Somewhere Over the Rainbow, though. Not that I was blown away with it, but at least she didn't go as over the top and overboard with it as I thought she would. I expected her to do one of those Showtime at the Apollo renditions of that song where you feel like throwing a brick through the television.

krystl
05-17-06, 12:49 PM
The thing I noticed about Kat is when she hits those really low notes she sounds like Madeline Kahn. :lol:

JfromJersey
05-17-06, 01:01 PM
I do have to give her some credit on Somewhere Over the Rainbow, though. Not that I was blown away with it, but at least she didn't go as over the top and overboard with it as I thought she would. I expected her to do one of those Showtime at the Apollo renditions of that song where you feel like throwing a brick through the television.

If AI was held 50 years ago, a Katherine McPhee wouldn't be doing any of those fancy vocal stylings on traditional songs. Unfortunately her role models are singers like Mariah and Christina, who have carved out successful careers by being vocal gymnasts more than traditional singers. I guess it's hard to avoid falling into that trap when you're that young. Hopefully, with maturity and experience she'll learn that sometimes less, is more. When she stops trying to impress everyone, and takes guidance from people in the business who know what's best for her, she will blossom.

yanksphan
05-17-06, 01:53 PM
I think Taylor and Kat left Elliot behind last night. Different league.

TinoFan84
05-17-06, 02:03 PM
I agree with what you're saying here and wasn't disputing anything you said. I was just giving my own thoughts.

Gotcha!

IronCaballo4
05-17-06, 02:08 PM
I'd love to see Taylor perform "Baby Got Back"

TinoFan84
05-17-06, 03:21 PM
DialIdol.com has Elliott going home tonight, for what that's worth.

SheffRocks11
05-17-06, 03:26 PM
Kat was amazing on "Somewhere over the Rainbow"

And Taylor was just precious. AWWW!

KLJ
05-17-06, 03:33 PM
sorry, even though it is becoming obvious taylor will win it, he is no american idol.. he still acts like a country hick to me

JfromJersey
05-17-06, 03:36 PM
Is there anyone who doubts that Taylor is going to be the next Idol?
In the middle of his next performance, he could have sex with Paula on stage, and he'd still win going away.

krystl
05-17-06, 03:40 PM
I'd be fine with Taylor being the next Idol. People out there are voting for him, and IMO they will buy his music. Ruben wasn't your typical idol either and he won, but he had zero personality. Clay was not realy Idol material either yet he became more successful than Ruben.

At this point, the top 3 or 4 will eventually have CDs out, maybe even more.

CoyoteYankee
05-17-06, 09:20 PM
Terribly unnecessary to have a one hour elimination show.

IronCaballo4
05-17-06, 09:36 PM
Terribly unnecessary to have a one hour elimination show.

amen to that. this is annoying and nine butts

CoyoteYankee
05-17-06, 09:53 PM
amen to that. this is annoying and nine butts

Nine butts?

IronCaballo4
05-17-06, 09:54 PM
Nine butts?

:lol: asinine

CoyoteYankee
05-17-06, 09:57 PM
:lol: asinine

:roflmao:

I walked right into that one didn't I?

If what they just said about the votes are true then that is crazy how close the votes were. However, I have trouble believing anything that they say about the voting.

I still believe that they will throw someone in the bottom three early on in the show who really wasn't in the bottom three because they want to try to scare people into voting.

#1PaFan
05-17-06, 10:02 PM
Kat vs. Taylor now, huh? Whoop-de-do.

IronCaballo4
05-17-06, 10:04 PM
gonna be tough...I reeeeeeeeeeeeally like em both

Big_E
05-17-06, 10:06 PM
I can't believe my two favorites all season are in the finals. In the end, I hope it's Kat. :)

IronCaballo4
05-17-06, 10:08 PM
I can't believe my two favorites all season are in the finals. In the end, I hope it's Kat. :)

It's my 2 favs too. Kat is FOINE and Taylor is extremely entertaining. Choices, choices....

Whoever wins, I'll be happy with :D

jlw1980
05-17-06, 10:09 PM
I am sad. I wanted Elliott to win. He had the best voice of the three of them. I don't know if I'll even watch the final. Meh. :(

Taylor has a fun personality but he does look as though he's seizing on stage. I am beginning to agree that Kat's a little full of herself, after last night. I guess I hope that Taylor wins, but now I just think, "Whatever."

jlw1980
05-17-06, 10:10 PM
It's my 2 favs too. Kat is FOINE and Taylor is extremely entertaining. Choices, choices....

Whoever wins, I'll be happy with :D

I don't think anyone's sure what you think of Kat. You haven't really mentioned it much.

:P

gdn
05-17-06, 10:11 PM
She looked fat in that top today.

Btw... GO TAYLOR!!!! I'm so excited :)

Anyway, does anyone really believe those numbers they put up?

IronCaballo4
05-17-06, 10:13 PM

Btw... GO TAYLOR!!!! I'm so excited :)

Anyway, does anyone really believe those numbers they put up?

I only believe 33% of it

gdn
05-17-06, 10:14 PM
I only believe 33% of itWell, I believe 33.68%, so I win and you go home :p :D

Barb51850
05-17-06, 10:20 PM
A very classy exit by Elliott.:clap: As he said, this is a stepping stone for him and an excellent opportunity. I wish him the best, and can't wait to buy his CD!

PS - Go Taylor!!

gdn
05-17-06, 10:22 PM
Was anyone else surprised when Clive Davis (or whatever his name is) was talking about the record sales of the Idols? I sat there thinking "No freakin' way! Who the hell is buying these CDs?"

IronCaballo4
05-17-06, 10:28 PM
Was anyone else surprised when Clive Davis (or whatever his name is) was talking about the record sales of the Idols? I sat there thinking "No freakin' way! Who the hell is buying these CDs?"

there's something about the idol CDs that's crappy, I dunno...it's like they seriously wussify their strengths

keg411
05-17-06, 10:38 PM
Thank goodness Elliot is gone -- if there couldn't be a Chris/Taylor final, I'll take a Kat/Taylor one.

Go Taylor!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JfromJersey
05-17-06, 10:42 PM

The same people across the nation who vote dozens of times for their idol choices.
Left to their own devices, what are the odds any of them become stars? Put them on the boob tube week after week, and they wind up getting parades and keys to the city.
AI has become an American obsession.

yankeesfaninaz
05-17-06, 10:55 PM
i love to know before i can see it but i don't care.

PettittesPrincess
05-18-06, 01:22 AM
Hope Kat wins.. I don't get all the Taylor hype.

ritaylnil
05-18-06, 07:34 AM

:uhh: Are you for real? You musn't have been around fat too much.

ritaylnil
05-18-06, 07:37 AM
Is there anyone who doubts that Taylor is going to be the next Idol?

The vote was so close (if it's believable), that I don't know how anyone can be so sure Taylor will win. Taylor fans seem to love him, but those that don't, seem to really despise him, so all of those Elliot votes aren't going to him. I think it could go either way.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-18-06, 11:22 AM
Katherine is going to get mauled in the finals

JfromJersey
05-18-06, 12:48 PM
The vote was so close (if it's believable), that I don't know how anyone can be so sure Taylor will win. Taylor fans seem to love him, but those that don't, seem to really despise him, so all of those Elliot votes aren't going to him. I think it could go either way.

Taylor has had a solid fan base from the start. I don't think he ever finished in a bottom group. I think more Elliot votes will go to him than to Kat. His style is closer to Elliot than to Kat, plus he's male, and I also think there's more Kat hatred than Taylor hatred going around. There also seems to be a bias favoring him among the judges. I've yet to see Randy or Paula critique any of his performances. Simon was the only one who called his ending of "Try a Little Tenderness" appalling. The only Kat supporter left is Simon, whose judgement really seems the most unbiased in terms of actual performances.
I hope you're right, because I want Kat to win, but I really will be shocked if Mr. Soul Patrol doesn't take it all next week. Of course, if Kat has the night of her life, while Taylor forgets the words to his song and to compensate, jumps atop Paula's desk, strips, and starts impersonating a Chippendales dancer, maybe she'll have a shot.

krystl
05-18-06, 03:40 PM
I couldn't believe all the fan support Taylor had in Alabama! I love the guy but I was amazed...he filled an entire MALL!
When I saw how few people turned out for Kat and there were more for Elliott than expected, I seriously thought Kat was the one going home.

Anyway...my vote goes to taylor for the win! He's awesome!

Oh, and I did buy Bo Bice's CD, but that's the only one so far. I would buy Taylor's too though, but maybe not Kat.

Barb51850
05-18-06, 03:46 PM
I couldn't believe all the fan support Taylor had in Alabama! I love the guy but I was amazed...he filled an entire MALL!
When I saw how few people turned out for Kat and there were more for Elliott than expected, I seriously thought Kat was the one going home.

I noticed that also, and was wondering about the reason. From what I've read on different sites, the reason is that Taylor and Elliott come from small towns where there is more support and people seldom, if ever, see celebrities. Kat is from the LA/Hollywood area where people are used to seeing celebrities. Someone like her would be a very small celebrity compared to the ones they are used to.

jlw1980
05-18-06, 03:56 PM

I know my sisters voted every week for Elliot and Kat, so their votes definitely won't be going to Taylor. I like each of them in their own way, so if I decide to watch the final, I'll wait and see who I like best before deciding who to vote for. As Barb said, though, I think Kat's got something of an attitude problem, with the eye-rolling, etc. I really wanted Elliot to win. :(

krystl
05-18-06, 10:44 PM
I noticed that also, and was wondering about the reason. From what I've read on different sites, the reason is that Taylor and Elliott come from small towns where there is more support and people seldom, if ever, see celebrities. Kat is from the LA/Hollywood area where people are used to seeing celebrities. Someone like her would be a very small celebrity compared to the ones they are used to.
That does make sense I guess. She seemed happy enough to go home to see her family anyway.

Trish
05-18-06, 10:47 PM
They're all over her mother on the idol website. They're saying she showed no class by jumping up and applauding when Kat was safe.

gdn
05-18-06, 10:49 PM
They're all over her mother on the idol website. They're saying she showed no class by jumping up and applauding when Kat was safe.Troll.

Trish
05-18-06, 10:55 PM
Troll.
Troll this:P

gdn
05-18-06, 10:56 PM
Troll this:PWhy do you lurk there? Is it really entertaining?

Trish
05-18-06, 10:58 PM
Why do you lurk there? Is it really entertaining?

It's rather depressing actually. The level of intelligence leaves a lot to be desired. Although it's not as bad as AOL forums.

I check it out occasionally to get real information.

gdn
05-18-06, 11:00 PM
It's rather depressing actually. The level of intelligence leaves a lot to be desired. Although it's not as bad as AOL forums.

I check it out occasionally to get real information.Like the fact that Taylor is going to win?

krystl
05-18-06, 11:02 PM
They're all over her mother on the idol website. They're saying she showed no class by jumping up and applauding when Kat was safe.
That's ridiculous. They must not be parents.

IronCaballo4
05-18-06, 11:02 PM

I check it out occasionally to get real information.

it can't be anywhere near as bad as the imdb forums....ugh

Trish
05-18-06, 11:03 PM
Like the fact that Taylor is going to win?
Hey, go have a glass of wine and stop harassing me:P

Trish
05-18-06, 11:04 PM
it can't be anywhere near as bad as the imdb forums....ugh
It's pretty similar, actually, just on a bigger scale.

IronCaballo4
05-18-06, 11:06 PM
It's pretty similar, actually, just on a bigger scale.

God help us :eek:

jlw1980
05-19-06, 03:24 AM

She's not supposed to be happy for her own kid? Geezus.

JfromJersey
05-19-06, 05:34 PM

No. She's supposed to be a phony and cry for her kid's opponent.

yeahimweird
05-19-06, 06:06 PM
I'm pretty bummed that Elliott got voted off. I will buy his CD, too and I've never bought an Idol CD ever (there are couple others I'd buy as well). He really stole my heart this season. He got all the way to number three with very little pimping and no gimmicks...it was all on his talent.

The good thing about him getting voted off, is that he can do the music he wants instead of that sappy pop crap the winner has to sing.

keg411
05-19-06, 06:28 PM
I prefer the http://televisionwithoutpity.comforums for American Idol (and for most shows, actually), but it can get pretty brutal -- although at least it's done with decent spelling and grammar (and humor for the most part). Elliot fans should check it out -- although I'm not one he has a huge thread and lots of positive fans over there. The Kat one is mixed, but it's not that mean (although I haven't read it in a while), and Taylor has a fair amount of normal (read: not completely insane) fans over there, athough there are plenty that don't like him too. The less nice threads are probably Chris' and Kellie's as neither were well liked over there -- and it can be tough to be a fan if your contestant is hated (or any TV character you like is hated).

Despite that they're far superior to AOL or main idol boards (which, IMO, are terrifying). And no, these are definitely not the really mean "vote for the worst" boards where I found those Kellie pics from earlier.

krystl
05-19-06, 07:08 PM
Yikes...I just checked out a few posts on the idolonfox boards. Most of what I read was from young girls it seems. Read some stuff about Paula (what do they mean by Saula, anyone know? This is from fans, not people who don't like her).

DanB
05-20-06, 07:59 AM
based on a quick google, Saula = Simon and Paula. There has evidently been a lot of analysis done on their relationship over the years

IronCaballo4
05-20-06, 10:12 AM
So I just ordered my tickets for the Idol tour. My mom reeeeally wanted to go and, well...you all know the reason I'm going ;) Anyways, I'm a little annoyed because before the tix even went on sale, rows A-Q were already gone. That's unbelievable because even if you tried, there's no way to sit close. So I'm still on the floor, but I'm like 7 rows behind the front section

jlw1980
05-20-06, 10:40 AM
So I just ordered my tickets for the Idol tour. My mom reeeeally wanted to go and, well...you all know the reason I'm going ;)

So, is your girlfirend cool with your obsession with Katharine McPhee? :lol:

krystl
05-20-06, 11:23 AM
based on a quick google, Saula = Simon and Paula. There has evidently been a lot of analysis done on their relationship over the years
Thanks. I didn't even think of that.

jlw1980
05-20-06, 03:46 PM

I guess whoever came up with that one thought Saula was better-sounding than Pimon. :P

PettittesPrincess
05-20-06, 04:51 PM

Some people were all over Kat for clapping and stuff too when she was safe.... I don't get it, like they're not supposed to be happy and relieved?

SheffRocks11
05-20-06, 05:10 PM

a lot of people are obsessed with them being together.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-23-06, 08:28 PM
Wow, Katherine is really taking risks and stretching!! Why are the first two songs repeats??

Uhh wouldnt that be the opposite of taking risks?

Barb51850
05-23-06, 08:29 PM
Uhh wouldnt that be the opposite of taking risks?

Sorry, I didn't realize they are BOTH repeating songs. My bad.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-23-06, 08:46 PM
that song was god awful

IronCaballo4
05-23-06, 08:47 PM
that song was god awful

I agree...it was absolutely horrid. My woman looks fantastic, but that song killed it for her tonight

Either way of the two, I'd buy Taylor's music..........buuuuut Kat is sooo good to look at :D

Barb51850
05-23-06, 08:48 PM
Katherine's last song - AWFUL!

The beginning and middle was good, but toward the end it was worse than nails scrathing on a blackboard. She was totally straining and flat. The judges were being too kind.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-23-06, 08:49 PM
I agree...it was absolutely horrid. My woman looks fantastic, but that song killed it for her tonight

Either way of the two, I'd buy Taylor's music..........buuuuut Kat is sooo good to look at :D

you could tell they were taking it really easy on her. Usually the last song is amazing, at least in season 1 and 2

IronCaballo4
05-23-06, 08:52 PM
man, Taylor should've done "Baby Got Back" as his final performance...it would've been a lock

RhodeyYankee2638
05-23-06, 08:57 PM
bye bye katharine

IronCaballo4
05-23-06, 09:06 PM
Carrie Underwood won song of the year for Buddha Take the Parking Brake or whatever that song is

RhodeyYankee2638
05-23-06, 09:10 PM
Carrie Underwood won song of the year for Buddha Take the Parking Brake or whatever that song is

wasnt it country music song of the year? she didnt sing a god awful tune in the final

JfromJersey
05-23-06, 09:14 PM
Katherine's last song - AWFUL!

The beginning and middle was good, but toward the end it was worse than nails scrathing on a blackboard. She was totally straining and flat. The judges were being too kind.

Whoever wrote that song for her should be shot. Taylor's wasn't great either but it was a whole lot better than Kat's.

krystl
05-23-06, 09:37 PM
I have one thing to say (over and over)...
Soul Patrol, soul patrol, soul patrol! :D

Barb51850
05-23-06, 09:47 PM
I have one thing to say (over and over)...
Soul Patrol, soul patrol, soul patrol! :D

I'll say it too -- :)

Soul Patrol, soul patrol, soul patrol....... :D

Barb51850
05-23-06, 09:48 PM
Whoever wrote that song for her should be shot. Taylor's wasn't great either but it was a whole lot better than Kat's.

IMO, it was not the song it was her. Kelly Clarkson would have nailed that song.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-23-06, 09:48 PM
did you hear Katharine?

Playboy!! Playboy!! Playboy!!!

Barb51850
05-23-06, 09:50 PM
did you hear Katharine?

Playboy!! Playboy!! Playboy!!!

:lol: OMG, good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that post. I would have had to wipe off my keyboard and monitor!!

ritaylnil
05-23-06, 10:02 PM
IMO, it was not the song it was her. Kelly Clarkson would have nailed that song.

Barb, your anti-Katharine bias is really showing. I'm not saying she was great, but that song was pathetic.

ritaylnil
05-23-06, 10:04 PM
I'm still rooting for Kat. Taylor's a great performer, but his singing is only average and often karaoke-like, just as Simon has said. I'd be surprised if she wins though. The deck was stacked against her in many ways.

Barb51850
05-23-06, 10:12 PM
Barb, your anti-Katharine bias is really showing. I'm not saying she was great, but that song was pathetic.

A bad song is no excuse. I'm not saying she did the entire song badly. She started the song off well, and the middle was not bad, but the ending was awful. "Inside Your Heaven" is a terrible song, but Carrie performed it well last year at the finale. Bad song or not, IMO she choked.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-23-06, 10:16 PM

I dont think it helped her that she sang 2 songs she already did, and probably not as well. She's lucky to still be in it, she shoulda got the boot 3 weeks ago on Elvis week

jlw1980
05-23-06, 10:17 PM
Has ANYONE been able to go through to vote? I get, "Lines are temporarily busy. Please try again later." I don't even get the f*cking busy signal. ARGH!!!! It's f*cking annoying me! :mad: :mad:

jlw1980
05-23-06, 10:18 PM
I dont think it helped her that she sang 2 songs she already did, and probably not as well. She's lucky to still be in it, she shoulda got the boot 3 weeks ago on Elvis week

:-werd-: I can't help but think Elliott or Chris should've been up there with Taylor tonight.

Barb51850
05-23-06, 10:23 PM
Just wanted to include this. I found it on Americanidol.com message board. Emphasis in bold is mine.

Kat, “My Desiny” – That was craptacular. Bad song, and a mediocre performance. Actually her vocals were quite good until she got to the big craptastic ending when the choir came out and she started the McShrieking. Those high notes are a real problem for her. She really wants to be Celine or Mariah, but I’m sorry, she just doesn’t have the chops.

Taylor, “Do I Make You Proud” – Again, not a great song. But here is the point Randy was trying to make but doing a terrible job of articulating: A great singer can take a bad song and make it good. Kat couldn’t do it. Taylor did. That’s what separates good from great. Taylor is great. End of story.

Barb51850
05-23-06, 10:24 PM
:-werd-: I can't help but think Elliott or Chris should've been up there with Taylor tonight.

Ditto.

I would also include Mandisa. IMO, she's a much better singer than Katherine.

jlw1980
05-23-06, 10:28 PM
Ditto.

I would also include Mandisa. IMO, she's a much better singer than Katherine.

Absolutely. Actually, I wish tonight's final were between Chris & Elliott. That would've been killer. I miss Elliott! :(

"Somewhere over the Rainbow" is a great song. I love it. I must say, though, that she did a good job...but Judy Garland, she ain't.

jlw1980
05-23-06, 10:30 PM
Just wanted to include this. I found it on Americanidol.com message board. Emphasis in bold is mine.

Kat, “My Desiny” – That was craptacular. Bad song, and a mediocre performance. Actually her vocals were quite good until she got to the big craptastic ending when the choir came out and she started the McShrieking. Those high notes are a real problem for her. She really wants to be Celine or Mariah, but I’m sorry, she just doesn’t have the chops.

Taylor, “Do I Make You Proud” – Again, not a great song. But here is the point Randy was trying to make but doing a terrible job of articulating: A great singer can take a bad song and make it good. Kat couldn’t do it. Taylor did. That’s what separates good from great. Taylor is great. End of story.

I wouldn't go as far as to call Taylor a "great singer." As a performer, he's great. As a singer, he's good, but not great. I just think he's better than Kat, and I don't dislike her.

krystl
05-23-06, 10:31 PM
Barb, my sentiments exactly. How could they blame the song on Kat's last performance? If she was a great singer, she would have made it great no matter how bad the song was.
I loved that last song Taylor sang and I WILL be buying his first CD! :)

keg411
05-23-06, 10:31 PM
Kat just screwed up her song. All of the final songs are crap every year and this one was no different -- but no one has screwed it up as badly as Kat did. Even Diana Degarmo who was arguably overmatched against Fantasia held her own in the finals. A Taylor/Chris finale would have been far more exciting. Personally Paris was my favorite female -- Kat was too inconsistent.

Taylor should definitely win this season. Despite being weird and different, he's extremely talented. I've found some of his original stuff on the web here and there and it's actually pretty good... He's sold his soul to American Idol so there will be slim-to-no chance that he gets any creative say, but if he does, I could see the stuff being decent. Not Top-40 by any means, but that doesn't mean it won't be good.

I hate the Soul Patrol thing, but I found it endearing tonight... Go Taylor!

RhodeyYankee2638
05-23-06, 10:33 PM
I hate the Soul Patrol thing, but I found it endearing tonight... Go Taylor!

its smart marketing by Taylor. Soul Patrol sounds cool, hell it was on SNL. Mcfeever and the Kat Pack sound retarded

jlw1980
05-23-06, 10:34 PM
OK, I'm seriously ready to give up on trying to vote. I'm sick of that damned message.

JfromJersey
05-23-06, 10:35 PM
I'm still rooting for Kat. Taylor's a great performer, but his singing is only average and often karaoke-like, just as Simon has said. I'd be surprised if she wins though. The deck was stacked against her in many ways.

The pro Taylor bias on the show was so obvious, and yes, his singing is nothing to rave about. As a live performer I think Taylor will do well, but I'd be surprised if he becomes a chart topper. As for Kat, her future is in theater and cabaret.

PettittesPrincess
05-23-06, 10:37 PM

The way he performs is annoying as hell too I think... he looks like he's having a seizure. I doubt she'll win, but I'm pulling for Kat too.

Luvtino
05-23-06, 10:41 PM
Katharine has a better voice so I'd prefer her to win but it won't happen. Taylor will win. He has never been in the bottom 2 and has been at the top of the voting for the last few weeks.The judges seemed to want a guy to win since the beginning, but I don't think they thought it would be Taylor. My guess is they thought it would be Chris or E.

I think Tommy Mottola will sign Katharine as he seemed very taken with her. She could also make it big on Broadway, but if she gets a deal she could be very successful commercially. Same for Chris. The one I worry about most is E as he could slip through the cracks.

I like both so I won't be crushed either way. It will be interesting to see if Taylor has commercial success. He's entertaining and excels on stage, but that might not translate into success on the radio and CD sales.

jlw1980
05-23-06, 10:46 PM
OK, I see this delayed b/c this damned state doesn't have DST. Kat's last song was AWFUL! My g-d, it was a trainwreck!! She sounded absolutely horrid. Even Randy resorted to saying she looked good. :barf: :barf:

Barb51850
05-23-06, 10:46 PM
This has been fun guys!! Even our disagreements have been interesting. I'm already looking forward to next season. :)

jlw1980
05-23-06, 10:48 PM
This has been fun guys!! Even our disagreements have been interesting. I'm already looking forward to next season. :)

Hey, it ain't over 'til it's over...tomorrow. :lol:

Ditto, it has been fun. :gulp:

PettittesPrincess
05-23-06, 10:48 PM
I don't think Kat's last song was as horrid as some are making it out to be, it was a horrible song and she sounded alright.. Randy even said she was good, but the song was average.. which isn't her fault.. oh well Taylor :barf: is going to win anyways.

jlw1980
05-23-06, 10:50 PM
I don't think Kat's last song was as horrid as some are making it out to be, it was a horrible song and she sounded alright.. Randy even said she was good, but the song was average.. which isn't her fault.. oh well Taylow :barf: is going to win anyways.

Personally, I don't think either of them is good enough to be the "American Idol", but them's the breaks of it.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-23-06, 10:50 PM
I don't think Kat's last song was as horrid as some are making it out to be, it was a horrible song and she sounded alright.. Randy even said she was good, but the song was average.. which isn't her fault.. oh well Taylow :barf: is going to win anyways.

Kat is hot, but she's a stone on stage, even when she tries to shake her flat ass, now that looks like a seizure

Luvtino
05-23-06, 11:19 PM
Katharine should have sang Since I Fell For You again for her first song. She sang it early in the competition and they crowned her the best of the night. She also sang Come Rain or Come Shine very well. She should have played to her strengths.

They should make them both sing the same original song so neither has an advantage. That would be fair.

rock
05-23-06, 11:42 PM
I am a Kat fan and don't really care for Taylor but will admit that Taylor should be American Idol based on tonight. Kat didn't sing her last song well at all. She seemed very nervous. The next question is who will sell more albums and have the better career?

Gringaloca
05-23-06, 11:48 PM
My God...what a 'cash cow' AI has turned out to be...There was a huge 'invited only' party tonight at the HardRock Casino here in Hollywood, FL...Hosted by Wyclef Jean, Tommy Davidson & Pauley Shore.

The AI CD is due out next week...and the AI 2006 Concert Tour tickets ..went on sale this past Saturday.

FOX is making $$$$ hand over fist on AI...unbelievable..

yeahimweird
05-24-06, 12:18 AM
My God...what a 'cash cow' AI has turned out to be...There was a huge 'invited only' party tonight at the HardRock Casino here in Hollywood, FL...Hosted by Wyclef Jean, Tommy Davidson & Pauley Shore.

The AI CD is due out next week...and the AI 2006 Concert Tour tickets ..went on sale this past Saturday.

FOX is making $$$$ hand over fist on AI...unbelievable..

The AI CD actually just came out today. Heh.

Kat's last song nearly busted my eardrums. That was awful.

buckyjacobson
05-24-06, 12:40 AM
I lost interest weeks ago but I am glad that there will be no more of Katherine's dad on tv blubbering. It was sweet the first time now it's just old.

Trish
05-24-06, 07:51 AM
I lost interest weeks ago but I am glad that there will be no more of Katherine's dad on tv blubbering. It was sweet the first time now it's just old.
I can relate to that as a parent. I blubber when I see my kids dance on stage. Every year. Without fail :lol:

Her last song was just bad. The song was bad, and the performance was awful. She seemed defeated from the start, and didn't seem to fight for it.

I've been a Taylor fan from the start, and I'd buy his CD, go to his concert, whatever it is. He performs his ass off.

Chesbro41
05-24-06, 08:53 AM
Ok, my two cents...

I thought both songs were cheesy. Didn't like either one of them. I didn't like Kat's from the second she opened her mouth. I thought Taylor finished his well, but the beginning and middle were bad.

Overall, I think it was Taylor's worst night, but he still wins. I honestly don't see him being a huge radio/album star. He's the type of person you go see in concert, not listen to on the radio. He's a performer, not a singer.

Kat I think makes a couple albums and probably does pretty well for herself, but don't see her making a lasting impact on the music scene.

I don't see, at this point, how Taylor loses. I am more of a Kat fan, but I like them both.

gdn
05-24-06, 09:11 AM
I saw only the end of Katherine's second song and her third song (and then I saw a brief clip of the first song - :barf:) and they were OK.

Taylor didn't do too well with the second song and I had to agree with Simon that at that point, they were pretty much even.

Taylor's last performance is what did it, though. I think he sang that really well.

Odd to say it, but I will buy his CD and it will be the first CD that I've bought in a long, long time.

krystl
05-24-06, 09:49 AM
What makes Taylor possibly winning so great is the fact that Simon had to eat his words admit he was wrong about him. That's sweet even if Taylor doesn't win. Either way, I'll buy Taylor's CD even if he loses, just like I did with Bo.

allybear
05-24-06, 10:04 AM
Taylor did it on the last song - up till then I really thought they were tied, and actually until about halfway through the last song, they were tied - Taylor nailed the first song; Kat the second; and then halfway through Taylor's last song, something 100% clicked. JP and I turned around to each other and were like "that's it, he just won".

Of course, everyone else I've liked has lost, so I'll probably be wrong here (although in fairness, Mandisa and Chris were the only ones I liked because of their singing and not random reasons).

Kat's song sounded like a top 40 hit, though, so no doubt, win or lose, we'll be hearing much more of it than we ever wanted to, LOL!

And I'm going to miss this thread as much as the show itself, I think!

RhodeyYankee2638
05-24-06, 08:04 PM
if you dont wanna wait 2 hours here is dial idol predicitions

Taylor Hicks won in a blowout

Big_E
05-24-06, 08:47 PM
That dress Kat was wearing to open the show -- :ga-ga:

gdn
05-24-06, 08:54 PM
I hate this massacre of this song. I really hate it.

jlw1980
05-24-06, 09:19 PM
if you dont wanna wait 2 hours here is dial idol predicitions

All I had to do to read your "spoiler" was click on the "Quote" button, and it showed up. I deleted it, though, so others didn't have to read it. I wanted to know. :)

RhodeyYankee2638
05-24-06, 09:22 PM
I thought that little boy was gonna blow his load on stage when he say Clay singing the ever masculine Elton John classic

gdn
05-24-06, 09:23 PM
Ok, so last (30) minute predictions... who's it gonna be???

RhodeyYankee2638
05-24-06, 09:33 PM
Ok, so last (30) minute predictions... who's it gonna be???

ooo i'd definitly bet my mortgage on mcfeever

ALR83
05-24-06, 09:40 PM
I thought that little boy was gonna blow his load on stage when he say Clay singing the ever masculine Elton John classic

I laughed SO freaking hard. :lol: That was awesome lol.

Big_E
05-24-06, 09:47 PM
Who's idea was it to make this a 2-hour special? They usually struggle to fill 30 minutes on vote night, but 2 hours is not even worth watching until the last 10 minutes or so.

jlw1980
05-24-06, 09:49 PM
Who's idea was it to make this a 2-hour special? They usually struggle to fill 30 minutes on vote night, but 2 hours is not even worth watching until the last 10 minutes or so.

10? It's not worth it until the last TWO minutes. :lol:

gdn
05-24-06, 09:50 PM
What a waste of time.

gdn
05-24-06, 09:59 PM
TAYLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR HICKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Soul Patrol! :D

jlw1980
05-24-06, 10:00 PM
Soul Patrol! :D

:lol: He needs a better slogan. That one stinks.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-24-06, 10:00 PM
my goodness, im shocked

RhodeyYankee2638
05-24-06, 10:01 PM
:lol: He needs a better slogan. That one stinks.

are you on crack??? McFeever!!!! I can sh!t a better slogan than that

jlw1980
my goodness, im shocked

Everybody is. Can't you tell?

gdn
Hahahahaha. I'm laughing my ass off! I rooted for this guy from the beginning. So glad :D