PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

gdn
04-26-06, 05:23 PM
The yellow dress thing? Yeah...

Edit: Why the hell does Paula cry every week???

gdn
04-26-06, 05:26 PM
Wow. Just saw that again. Paula needs to really detox. REALLY DETOX.

Tifoso
04-26-06, 05:27 PM
The yellow dress thing? Yeah...

Edit: Why the hell does Paula cry every week???

Can't find any underage boyfriends? :dunno:

jlw1980
04-26-06, 08:01 PM
Here ya go

http://www.idolonfox.com/videos/?vid=285

Actually the new site is http://www.americanidol.com/videos/?vid=285

If you go to idolonfox.com, it says at the top of the page that the new site is www.americanidol.com (http://www.americanidol.com), and to update your bookmarks, etc...but you can still get there from the old web address. :)

ALR83
04-26-06, 08:30 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jlw1980
04-26-06, 08:51 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What?

JfromJersey
04-26-06, 09:01 PM
No Pickler to pick on anymore.

Sam18
04-26-06, 09:03 PM
Was there a contestant named Anwar in this season?

IronCaballo4
04-26-06, 09:05 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there IS justice in the world! :D

keg411
04-26-06, 09:08 PM

Last season.

And woohoo! Pickler didn't win! Very very happy that little prediction was wrong.

jlw1980
Hallelujah!

Big_E
Glad to see Pickler gone. Paris next. Kat and Taylor all the way.

surge511
04-26-06, 09:11 PM
Wow, Kellie is voted off. Her bad performances finally caught up with her. I'm still surprised, though.

Barb51850
04-26-06, 09:11 PM
HAAAAL....le...LU...YA!!!! HAAAAL...le...LU....YA!!!

Bye Pickler. Don't let the door hit you in the a**!

RhodeyYankee2638
04-26-06, 09:13 PM
kellie was far and away the best singer this show has ever seen

jlw1980
04-26-06, 09:14 PM
HAAAAL....le...LU...YA!!!! HAAAAL...le...LU....YA!!!

Bye Pickler. Don't let the door hit you in the a**!

:lol: That's a saying she'd be sure to understand, though she might pretend that she didn't. Now the "On paperrr?" idiocy is just a bad memory. :D

jlw1980
04-26-06, 09:15 PM
kellie was far and away the best singer this show has ever seen

:lol: good one

rock
04-26-06, 09:34 PM

He was there last season. He was pretty good.

Barb51850
04-26-06, 09:46 PM
:lol: Now the "On paperrr?" idiocy is just a bad memory. :D

...& "Cala-maaa-reeeee"

jlw1980
04-26-06, 11:15 PM
...& "Cala-maaa-reeeee"

"I don't have anyone to play pottery with." :lol:

All I can say is, :-bye-:, Ms. "Lyrics? What're lyrics?" :barf:

I was just thinking. (Shocking, I know. :lol: ) Once Paris is gone, which I'm hoping is next week, I won't know who to root for. I like all four other contestants. Is anybody else thinking the same? Well, at least I'll be somewhat happy with whoever wins, so long as it isn't Paris. I just don't think any of the contestants this year has star quality, but I like four of the final five. That ain't bad.

buckyjacobson
04-26-06, 11:39 PM
"I don't have anyone to play pottery with." :lol:

All I can say is, :-bye-:, Ms. "Lyrics? What're lyrics?" :barf:

I was just thinking. (Shocking, I know. :lol: ) Once Paris is gone, which I'm hoping is next week, I won't know who to root for. I like all four other contestants. Is anybody else thinking the same? Well, at least I'll be somewhat happy with whoever wins, so long as it isn't Paris. I just don't think any of the contestants this year has star quality, but I like four of the final five. That ain't bad.

Why do you dislike Paris so much? I don't think she's an "idol" or that she has a chance of winning but I think she might have the best voice left (though I'm no singing expert). Also am I the only one who thought the Spanish guitar sound on Chris' song last night seemed really out of place?

jlw1980
04-26-06, 11:47 PM
Why do you dislike Paris so much? I don't think she's an "idol" or that she has a chance of winning but I think she might have the best voice left (though I'm no singing expert). Also am I the only one who thought the Spanish guitar sound on Chris' song last night seemed really out of place?

I don't "dislike Paris so much." I guess I made it sound that way. Of the final five, she's just the one I like least. (I think Katharine's and Elliott's voices are the best of who's remaining.) For one thing, her speaking voice annoys me (which I know has nothing to do with singing). I also dislike the overly perky attitude. It just bugs me. She's a good singer, and seems to have a great attitude. I think she's got a great future in store. She's only 17; she's got plenty of time to make her mark. I wish her well; I just don't want her to win.

buckyjacobson
04-27-06, 12:16 AM
I don't "dislike Paris so much." I guess I made it sound that way. Of the final five, she's just the one I like least. (I think Katharine's and Elliott's voices are the best of who's remaining.) For one thing, her speaking voice annoys me (which I know has nothing to do with singing). I also dislike the overly perky attitude. It just bugs me. She's a good singer, and seems to have a great attitude. I think she's got a great future in store. She's only 17; she's got plenty of time to make her mark. I wish her well; I just don't want her to win.

Yeah she certainly has a distinct speaking voice and is rather perky. And all she says is "thank you" which is polite but amusing to me.

RhodeyYankee2638
04-27-06, 06:09 AM
Yeah she certainly has a distinct speaking voice and is rather perky. And all she says is "thank you" which is polite but amusing to me.

i mentioned this a while back, but simon bashed her once and she still said Thank You Simon.

ritaylnil
04-27-06, 06:26 AM
Also am I the only one who thought the Spanish guitar sound on Chris' song last night seemed really out of place?

The Spanish guitars were a perfect accompaniment to that song. The song was played in "Don Juan DeMarco" and I think Spanish guitars were used then too. I might be wrong, but I think so.

ritaylnil
04-27-06, 06:29 AM
I have gone through this anxiety before when pitiful finalists stick around longer than they should and I start to fear they'll win the whole thing. In the end, I have also been okay with the winner. It's not always been my first choice, but I could live with it. Remember, all those Ace fans are not likely to start throwing their votes to Kellie Pickler. I think that Chris and Elliot may benefit from a lot of them. Each week that someone's eliminated, all of those votes go to someone else. I doubt at this point any of those blocks of votes will go to Pickler.

Nothing like quoting yourself! :lol: I'm glad I remained calm. There always seem to be this loser contestant who stays around too long, but at least Pickles won't be in the top 5.

I'm actually okay now with any of the 5 left. Having said that, I think Paris is next to go. Too young, but she has a bright future. My top 2 are still Chris and Katharine, but if Elliot or Taylor pull it out, that would be cool too.

Trish
04-27-06, 06:51 AM
I know you weren't asking me, but I'll answer anyway:lol:

I'm just not a fan of the perky, precocious type. There's just something about that girl that drives a bug up my butt. I'll be happy to see her go next week.

Out of the four that are left, I'll be satisfied whoever wins, assuming that Paris goes, which she should.

As for the Spanish guitar sound, that's part of that song originally.

Barb51850
04-27-06, 06:57 AM
I'm rooting for Elliott, but I would be happy if Taylor or Chris won. I prefer men singers to women singers, but that is just my personal preference.

Barb51850
04-27-06, 07:00 AM
I'm just not a fan of the perky, precocious type. There's just something about that girl that drives a bug up my butt. I'll be happy to see her go next week.

I agree with you Trish. That is exactly what bothers me about her also. When she was singing "Memory" (or whatever the title is), I kept wishing she would stop with the head and arm movements which she did throughout the entire song. It was too over-the-top.

Trish
04-27-06, 07:18 AM
Next week they sing two songs each--one from the year they were born and any song on the Billboard top 10 charts. Which I think will be difficult.

allybear
04-27-06, 08:07 AM
Next week I throw something through my TV when Paris comes out singing a song that I have on CD from the year she was born and I realize just how old I am, LOLOL!!!!

I don't have the intense Pickler hate that a lot of you do, but I won't miss her and she was clearly far and away the worst this week, so she totally deserved to go.

I don't know who'll be next - Paris is too young for the songs she sings and I just don't see her as a top 40 star at all - I could see her doing well with jazz and standards, and there have been some younger singers doing well with those old songs. I have a couple favorites but I'm not discussing them, because every time I say I like someone, they go (see my Bucky comments above...I went from not liking him at all to liking him and then ooops), so I will stop here (ha ha).

At least we didn't have to hear Kellie murder a song I love a second time out! :lol:

Slavenka
04-27-06, 08:08 AM
Next week they sing two songs each--one from the year they were born and any song on the Billboard top 10 charts. Which I think will be difficult.

I'm kinda concerned because if you look at the top 10, 6 are hip hop. Of course though things might change in the next week. Am I looking at the right chart? Maybe they can chose from the genre charts? OMG, and if someone does 'bad day' I'll scream. Hmm, who will take James Blunt? 'Unwritten' didn't seem to go over well earlier in the season. Mary's at #11, I would hope Paris would not take that. And Ashley Parker Angel is at 12?! What the hell are kids these days listening to?! ;) Oh, Kelly is at #14, that would be eggy to take her.
ETA: Am I the only one who tivos, and then fast forwards to the last 5 minutes? ;)

gdn
04-27-06, 09:48 AM
Oh man, half the eye candy is gone :(

Whatever, she was annoying - but I did feel bad for her a bit when they showed her grandpa.

What a horrible contest next week. Top 10? :barf:

allybear
04-27-06, 10:00 AM
I'm kinda concerned because if you look at the top 10, 6 are hip hop. Of course though things might change in the next week. Am I looking at the right chart? Maybe they can chose from the genre charts? OMG, and if someone does 'bad day' I'll scream. Hmm, who will take James Blunt? 'Unwritten' didn't seem to go over well earlier in the season. Mary's at #11, I would hope Paris would not take that. And Ashley Parker Angel is at 12?! What the hell are kids these days listening to?! ;) Oh, Kelly is at #14, that would be eggy to take her.
ETA: Am I the only one who tivos, and then fast forwards to the last 5 minutes? ;)

I hope they're allowed to pick the genre charts, because you can't do "Bad Day" (wouldn't that just be like tempting fate?), someone already did Kelly and got slammed for doing so, and who's doing all the hip hop? YIKES. PS - I hate that James Blunt song - I know it seems like a song I'd like, but it's stalkerish to me, some chick is on a train with another guy and now he's convinced they're going to be together?!? WTF?!?

JfromJersey
04-27-06, 11:18 AM
I'm not expecting much. Wasn't the last time they had current hits as a theme a disaster?

yankeebot
04-27-06, 11:51 AM
I'm just not a fan of the perky, precocious type. There's just something about that girl that drives a bug up my butt. I'll be happy to see her go next week. You are supposed to be perky and precocious when you are a teenager. Teenagers are supposed to drive a bug up your butt. Perky, precocious, bug drivers should not be American Idols.

keg411
04-27-06, 12:37 PM
IIRC, they did a present top billboard hits last year and the contestants were allowed to use any chart -- so I'm guessing that all of the charts will count (AC, Hip Hop, Top 40, Rock, etc.).

And I guess I'm alone with the Paris love -- and the Elliot dislike. But at least everybody who is left can sing, so thank goodness Pickler is gone.

yeahimweird
04-27-06, 01:07 PM
I'm rooting for Elliott, but I would be happy if Taylor or Chris won. I prefer men singers to women singers, but that is just my personal preference.

Yay! More Elliott love. :D

I'm not expecting much. Wasn't the last time they had current hits as a theme a disaster?

The last time they did "current" hits was the top ten week this season, when they sang 21st Century songs. That was a big ball of suck. :barf:

krystl
04-27-06, 01:22 PM
Yay! More Elliott love. :D

The last time they did "current" hits was the top ten week this season, when they sang 21st Century songs. That was a big ball of suck. :barf:
Elliott has become one of my favorites in the last few weeks, which isn't making it any easier for me! Chris and Taylor were already my 2 fave guys and now I have 3. Katherine has always been a favorite of mine, pretty much from the beginning,

Trish
04-27-06, 02:30 PM
You are supposed to be perky and precocious when you are a teenager. Teenagers are supposed to drive a bug up your butt. Perky, precocious, bug drivers should not be American Idols.
Not the teenagers I'm accustomed to. And when I was a teenager, I probably would have made that type of teenager miserable:lol:

I think they can use any of the Billboard charts, if I read it correctly.

rock
04-27-06, 04:17 PM
I remember last year from the Billboard charts Carrie sung "Bless the Broken Road" from Rascal Flatts and Vonzell cheated and sung the song that the American Idols released as a single. And Federov sung some Backstreet Boys song.

yeahimweird
04-27-06, 05:25 PM
Elliott has become one of my favorites in the last few weeks, which isn't making it any easier for me! Chris and Taylor were already my 2 fave guys and now I have 3. Katherine has always been a favorite of mine, pretty much from the beginning,

A lot of people have been sleeping on him, and I really hope he gained some new fans with his performance this past week. I don't think he's had a single bad performance in the Top 12.

Luvtino
04-27-06, 05:42 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see Kellie go last night. She was by far the worst one left so she deserved to go. I wish her luck in the future. My guess is Paris is next to go home and I am totally okay with that.

Katharine and Chris are still my faves. I have adored Taylor from the beginning. He's a really fun guy. I also find E to be endearing. It's nice to see him sing with more confidence as he should be more secure in his abilites as he can really sing.

I like when they sing two songs. It gives them a chance to shine twice or to pick themselves up if they falter in one song.

jlw1980
04-27-06, 05:55 PM
I like when they sing two songs. It gives them a chance to shine twice or to pick themselves up if they falter in one song.

....or to fall flat on their faces if they do well on the first one and the second one is a clunker...or to suck twice. ;)

Actually, I like when they sing two, as well. They can show off different styles. :)

Luvtino
04-27-06, 06:21 PM
....or to fall flat on their faces if they do well on the first one and the second one is a clunker...or to suck twice. ;)

Actually, I like when they sing two, as well. They can show off different styles. :)

:o :lol:

surge511
05-02-06, 08:01 PM
So how did the contestants do tonight? I missed the episode, but who does everyone think will be voted off?

RhodeyYankee2638
05-02-06, 08:05 PM
So how did the contestants do tonight? I missed the episode, but who does everyone think will be voted off?

Paris was boring as hell tonight. Chris was awesome, he did Renegade by Styx

Barb51850
05-02-06, 08:38 PM
Here's my $.02 --

My favorite is still Elliott. He did a great job with "On Broadway." I thought Simon was a bit harsh with him when he commented on the second song not being appropriate (I forgot the song title, but it was something about wanting to "go home"). IMO, Elliott is the best pure singer in the bunch. His performance of the second song (which I don't know the title of) was gorgeous.

Katherine's first song was bad, and she was straining to reach most of the notes. Her second song, however, was excellent.

Paris was boring. I don't know what it is about her, but something bothers me.

I loved Taylor on both songs. He looked like he was having so much fun on the first song, and the second song (Something) was great. Did you hear Randy say something like "Why don't we have a Beatles night?" Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Michael Jackson owns the rights to the Lennon-McCartney songs, and they would have to pay to use them. "Something" was written by George Harrison, so that's why Taylor was able to perform it.

I thought Chris was excellent on his first song, but he really was almost shouting thought most of the second song. He did say his voice was tired.

Chris was my favorite in the early stages, but now I like Elliott better. He seems to be improving every week.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-02-06, 08:40 PM
I loved Taylor on both songs. He looked like he was having so much fun on the first song, and the second song (Something) was great. Did you hear Randy say something like "Why don't we have a Beatles night?" Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Michael Jackson owns the rights to the Lennon-McCartney songs, and they would have to pay to use them. "Something" was written by George Harrison, so that's why Taylor was able to perform it.

i'm pretty sure they don't pay to use any of the songs on the air

Barb51850
05-02-06, 08:42 PM
i'm pretty sure they don't pay to use any of the songs on the air

Maybe someone knows the answer.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-02-06, 08:51 PM
Maybe someone knows the answer.

even if they did, why can't they use the Beatles songs? Jackson bought them to sell the rights when wanted to be used

Barb51850
05-02-06, 08:54 PM
I would love a Beatles night!! :)

Luvtino
05-02-06, 08:55 PM
I agree with Simon that it was an erratic night tonight. Not their best and not their worst. My guess is Paris goes this week and that seems right. She was a bit boring tonight. She has a nice voice that will only get better as she matures.

I like E. There is something very endearing about him. His confidence and performances seem to be getting a bit better, but he still could use a little work. I don't know if he has the umph to win it all. I hope he comes out super strong and super confident next week. He needs to just let completely go and have fun.

I liked Taylor's second song an awful lot. I think it was wise that he was funky in the first performance and showcased his voice in the second. He could really be the dark horse in all of this. People adore him and it is hard not to root for him.

Chris and Katharine are still my faves. Each had a great performance tonight and one that wasn't as stellar. I think both have the talent, voice, maturity and stage presence to win it all.

surge511
05-02-06, 09:23 PM
I would have to say that Chris, Taylor and Katherine are the ones staying till the end. Paris I always thought was really boring, and Elliot, while a nice guy and a good singer, like you said, doesn't have that umph to put him over the top. I bet Chris wins it all.

krystl
05-02-06, 10:37 PM
I agree with everyone on tonight's performances.

I thought Chris should have picked 2 totally different songs like Taylor did...one to showcase his rocker side and one to show is soft side. Maybe he could have performed another Styx song for the second one, like Lady, which I love, and he wouldn't have had to strain his voice.

I am also wondering how Taylor picked a Beatles song when they were supposed to be using songs from today.

IronCaballo4
05-02-06, 10:37 PM
I reckon I gots the McPheever :ga-ga: :drool:

Barb51850
05-02-06, 10:50 PM
I reckon I gots the McPheever :ga-ga: :drool:

I'm sure your temperature went to 109 degrees during that second song! :)

keg411
05-02-06, 10:53 PM
Hopefully Chris and Taylor will be the final two. They're head and shoulders above everyone else. I actually liked the Shinedown song ("I Dare You") more than "Renegade", but he sounded less Creed-ish on it (and I HATE Creed. HATE) than he usually does. "Play that Funky Music" wasn't a masterpiece by Taylor, but it was nice to see someone not take Idol so seriously, and I liked his voice on "Something". He sounds like he'd fit right in on a classic rock station despite being modern.

Paris is probably going to go :(, but she wasn't that good -- neither was Elliot, but he'll get by on the stupid "underdog" vote, despite being dull and pretty lousy. Kat was inconsistant... her first song was dull and off (though I kind of thought her tone sounded much more pleasant and smooth despite not always being on key), and her second song was weird but cute.

My rankings:
1. Chris
2. Taylor
3. Kat
4. Paris (though I like Paris more than Kat, I wasn't impressed with Paris tonight)
5. Elliot

The boot? I'm guessing Paris will be gone, but I'm hoping it's Elliot. He's so overrated it isn't even funny, and I hate when contestants get away on "likeability" when they can't perform. Reminds me of why I didn't like Vonzell last year.

YankeesFanNuffSaid
05-02-06, 11:13 PM
I haven't read through all of this thread, but does anyone agree that everything that Chris sings sounds the same, that he's actually a pseudo-rocker and not this head-banger they make him out to be, and that he basically sounds like a goat?

Here's how I see it. I wouldn't run out and buy any of the contestant's CD's, but for pure, goofy entertainment, Taylor gets the nod. Katharine easily is the most polished, isn't as limited as the rest and has the best voice and range. Plus, she's pretty hot (though arrogant). Paris is a likeable kid who has a ways to go, though she has one of the stronger voices of all of them. Elliot is the most humble and least cocky of the group. His drawback is that he tries to impersonate Stevie Wonder no matter what song he's singing, and like Chris, has that goat quality to his voice. What's most unfortunate is that I'm sure he loses votes based on appearance.

The closest to the whole package and the one who provides what the voters usually expect from their "idol" is probably Katharine. But, I think Chris wins it this year.

IronCaballo4
05-02-06, 11:28 PM
I'm sure your temperature went to 109 degrees during that second song! :)

I just came outta the coma :D

JfromJersey
05-02-06, 11:30 PM
There should be more to an American Idol than just having a nice voice. That's why I don't think Elliott will last much longer. The 2 who look the most comfortable on stage are Taylor and Paris. They look like their having fun up there, though I could still do without some of Taylor's shenanigans. Chris is a great one trick pony, who seems to perform the same trick over and over again. Kat's nerves sometimes get the best of her. It looked like it did tonight on the Phil Collins song, but she rebounded with a nice second song where she showed some personality. My guess is one of the 2 girls will go, because they've both been in the bottom group at one time, and it just seems that this year it will be a guy's turn to win AI. I really hope Kat sticks around a while longer because, I must confess, I just like looking at her.

IronCaballo4
05-02-06, 11:33 PM
I really hope Kat sticks around a while longer because, I must confess, I just like looking at her.

AMEN!

Luvtino
05-02-06, 11:33 PM
I am a little worried about Katharine again, but I hope I am worrying for nothing.

Luvtino
05-02-06, 11:57 PM
AMEN!

You have a crush on Katharine?! Who knew?! ;) :D

TheBamTino24
05-03-06, 12:01 AM
Here's my $.02 --

Katherine's first song was bad, and she was straining to reach most of the notes. Her second song, however, was excellent.

Agreed. I thought Katharine's 2nd song was the best of the night.

Yankeees
05-03-06, 12:29 AM
I don't understand the big fuss about Katharine's 2nd song. I found it to be a little weird, and confusing.

Trish
05-03-06, 06:56 AM
I would love to see the three men in the final three. They offer the most, I think.

I can't stand Paris. I want her to go away.

Dialidol.com has Paris at the bottom. I hope it's accurate.

http://www.dialidol.com/asp/predictions/Predictions.asp

allybear
05-03-06, 07:33 AM
Didn't like Paris at all - yikes, girl, you're 17 years old and raised in the church, don't be trying to sing Prince (especially when you have to change the lyrics to make them appropriate for a girl which ruins the rhyme of the song), and her second song didn't do anything for me one way or the other.

I am not usually the biggest Taylor fan, but he did the best job last night on both songs - the only complaint or question I have is how in the heck is "Something" on a chart of today?!? :dunno: Who knows, who cares, he did a really nice job on it.

I like Katharine for the most part, but boy oh boy, she messed up last night - I sing "Against All Odds" better in the shower with a cold - to me, she lost the tune and never quite found it again.

Chris was fine - I thought he did a really good job on "Renegade" - the Shinedown song was OK, but not as good, although I think I liked it better than the judges.

Elliott was OK - he looked like his jacket didn't fit in the first song, which I think threw me off so much that I didn't listen as much as I should (plus I am old so I knew all these songs the first time, and I didn't like that one back in the 70's - 30 years hasn't done anything to change my opinion, LOL). And JP said the same thing Simon did first - when he was singing, JP said, "do you really think he should be saying he wants to go home?" :lol: Funny funny stuff.

Bottom line: if there's justice in this world, Paris goes home.

Barb51850
05-03-06, 07:35 AM

I would buy a recording of it. I loved those "box drums" - I kept wondering what those were.

Barb51850
05-03-06, 07:40 AM
I like Chris's voice, but he's beginning to bore me. He is always the same - the cold stare, too much intensity, sometimes he just screams instead of singing. Maybe it's just me. Once Simon remarked that he can't expect to do the same thing every week, and it appears that is exactly what he's doing.

Trish
05-03-06, 07:54 AM
Taylor was able to use "Something" because it's in the Top Ten "Top Pop Catalog" genre of Billboard.

I like that he was smart, and didn't use one of the mainstream categories. That's one of the reasons I like him. He doesn't go for the obvious.

The Beatles #1 is number 6 on the catalog chart.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Albums&f=Top+Pop+Catalog

RhodeyYankee2638
05-03-06, 08:32 AM
Taylor was able to use "Something" because it's in the Top Ten "Top Pop Catalog" genre of Billboard.

I like that he was smart, and didn't use one of the mainstream categories. That's one of the reasons I like him. He doesn't go for the obvious.

The Beatles #1 is number 6 on the catalog chart.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Albums&f=Top+Pop+Catalog

Chris shoulda did an AC/DC song

boo_427
05-03-06, 08:47 AM
Dialidol.com has Paris at the bottom. I hope it's accurate.

http://www.dialidol.com/asp/predictions/Predictions.asp

That site is pretty cool.

According to it, Taylor has been #1 for weeks now.

OxDiesel
05-03-06, 09:10 AM
Didn't like Paris at all - yikes, girl, you're 17 years old and raised in the church, don't be trying to sing Prince (especially when you have to change the lyrics to make them appropriate for a girl which ruins the rhyme of the song), and her second song didn't do anything for me one way or the other.

Not to mention the fact that FOX had to edit this line from "Be Without You":
"We've been through it, we've got real sh*t."
I was actually wondering how they would handle that line. Completely butchered & mishandled.
Review to come...

OxDiesel
05-03-06, 09:11 AM
Chris shoulda did an AC/DC song

Maybe he didn't want to cop out like Taylor the Hick.

OxDiesel
05-03-06, 09:12 AM
That site is pretty cool.

According to it, Taylor has been #1 for weeks now.

But according to Seacrest, Chris & Kat were the top 2 last week.

NYYfan24
05-03-06, 09:15 AM

I really loved that song! Who originally recorded it?

OxDiesel
05-03-06, 09:47 AM
I really loved that song! Who originally recorded it?

KT Tunstall

NYYfan24
05-03-06, 10:31 AM
Thank you! :)

KLJ
05-03-06, 10:35 AM
please send paris packing tonight..

OxDiesel
05-03-06, 10:35 AM
Finally, here we go -- I'll review both performances at once.

Snaggletooth -- Umm, I still don't get it. I don't care if he is "the best pure voice left in the contest." That doesn't have to equate to a winner. Has anyone noticed the punchline that Clay Aiken has turned into?? That's Snaggletooth's destiny if he finds his way into the final. He still comes across as that dorky guy who tries too hard to be with the cool kids (think Patrick Dempsey in "Can't Buy Me Love"). Another thing -- what's with the head-move-to-the-side-thing every time he pauses??? Is he winding himself up for the next line??? Enough already.
Grade: B- / B

Paris -- Kiss??? That's the best you can come with from 1989? Wow. And I KNEW she was gonna be the one that tried the Mary J. song. Okay in some spots, but overall it was meh. And why did FOX not change the line I mentioned earlier (We've been through it; we've got bullisht)? The edit was awkward and called even more attention to it.
Grade: C- / C+

Chris -- I gotta admit, I'm getting concerned. Last year, Constantine was ruined by a song I had high hopes for from him (How You Remind Me). I had a bad feeling that "I Dare You" would be a showstopper or it make him look bad. It started great, but he was definitely straining at the end. I hope the voters won't hold that against him, because, for the sixth time, he was THE SHOWSTOPPER with "Renegade".
Grade: A+ / B-

Kat -- Another up & down performance from Kat. As bad as "Against All Odds" was, that's how well she did with "Black Horse & The Cherry Tree". It's a quirky song, but it let her be flirty and have fun with the performance, something she looks a HELLOFALOT more comfortable doing than Taylor the Hick. Second half of the show, Kat was THE SHOWSTOPPER. Sadly, though, I think she missed her connect with the audience this week, and I think the two "underdogs" have too much support & following. :rolling eyes heavily:
Grade: C- / A

Taylor the Hick -- How's that for a segue?? Seriously, though, I've had it with these stupid "fun" performances of his. He's another one I'm missing the fascination with. Am I REALLY the only one who thinks he looked like a retard singing "Play That Funky Music"??? I swear, I've seen better at Six Flags. Coming from him, it's uncomfortable, unnatural, and just plain un-good. I'm not even gonna acknowledge how he conned his way into getting a Beatles song into the show. I really regret pulling for him while they were selecting finalists.
Grade: B- / B+

MY Bottom 2 -- Paris & Elliott
Predicted Bottom 2 -- Paris & Kat

MY Elimination -- Paris
Predicted Elimination -- Paris

boo_427
05-03-06, 10:41 AM
But according to Seacrest, Chris & Kat were the top 2 last week.

Don't hate on him 'cause he is from the south. :P

The man can sing and has some real soul for grey haired white guy in his late 20's. :D

OxDiesel
05-03-06, 10:45 AM
Don't hate on him 'cause he is from the south. :P

The man can sing and has some real soul for grey haired white guy in his late 20's. :D

I don't hate on him because he's from the South.
I hate on him because he looks & acts like an epileptic retard on stage.

Trish
05-03-06, 10:49 AM
I'm not sure why you think he "conned" anyone. I appreciated the fact that he looked for something other than the dreck that's in the top ten on the pop charts.

OxDiesel
05-03-06, 10:58 AM
I'm not sure why you think he "conned" anyone. I appreciated the fact that he looked for something other than the dreck that's in the top ten on the pop charts.

Trish -- he could have found SOMETHING current that fit his vocal style. Remember, the weren't limited to the Top 40 chart.
To pick something that was originally released 30-some-odd years ago during a Top 10 theme is not just a reach, it's ridiculous. Not to mention, the album he pulled it from was released almost FIVE years ago.

By the same logic, Chris should have done "Dark Side Of The Moon" or "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". Either of those would have wrapped up the competition. (and certainly saved his voice a little more)

allybear
05-03-06, 11:06 AM
Not to mention the fact that FOX had to edit this line from "Be Without You":
"We've been through it, we've got real sh*t."
I was actually wondering how they would handle that line. Completely butchered & mishandled.
Review to come...

Thanks - we were wondering if it was our TV or if they beeped something - gotta say I'm not really familiar with the song, so I wasn't sure!

allybear
05-03-06, 11:08 AM
Trish -- he could have found SOMETHING current that fit his vocal style. Remember, the weren't limited to the Top 40 chart.
To pick something that was originally released 30-some-odd years ago during a Top 10 theme is not just a reach, it's ridiculous. Not to mention, the album he pulled it from was released almost FIVE years ago.

By the same logic, Chris should have done "Dark Side Of The Moon" or "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". Either of those would have wrapped up the competition. (and certainly saved his voice a little more)

OK, my hubby is getting really psychic - he asked me (like I'd know while sitting on the couch) why couldn't Chris do something off "Dark Side of the Moon" because it's been on the album charts forever).

JfromJersey
05-03-06, 11:55 AM
I'm really worrying about Kat tonight. DialIdol has her and Paris closely grouped together on the bottom.
Taylor has pulled a con job on the American public since he started advancing. I'll grant you that he probably has the best personality of the remaining contestants, and seems completely relaxed on stage, but he's the worst vocalist of the 5. When he tones down his act on ballads, it's obvious that he's not in the same class as Chris or Elliott as a singer, and when he starts going through those crazy gyrations on uptempo numbers, he looks plain silly sometimes. He's a good ole Southern boy who tries to pass himself off as a soul singer.

Trish
05-03-06, 11:57 AM

He should have. They weren't limited to any genre of the Billboard charts. I say more power to whoever will go the extra mile and find something that will showcase their voice and style.

I'm not a big fan of Chris, while you seem to be. All of his stuff seems the same to me. I feel he can still stay within the "rocker" persona, and yet find different styles to showcase his voice. I hate the screaming sometimes.

OxDiesel
05-03-06, 12:01 PM
OK, my hubby is getting really psychic - he asked me (like I'd know while sitting on the couch) why couldn't Chris do something off "Dark Side of the Moon" because it's been on the album charts forever).

That's exactly why I say Hick reached. That song came from an ALBUM, (not an actual song) that appears on one of Billboard's charts. Never mind the fact that it is one of their more obscure charts.

Maybe it's just me, but, now that I think about it, "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" would have been a perfect complement to "Renegade" for Chris.

OxDiesel
05-03-06, 12:11 PM
He should have. They weren't limited to any genre of the Billboard charts. I say more power to whoever will go the extra mile and find something that will showcase their voice and style.

I'm not a big fan of Chris, while you seem to be. All of his stuff seems the same to me. I feel he can still stay within the "rocker" persona, and yet find different styles to showcase his voice. I hate the screaming sometimes.

That screaming is exactly the reason why I said I was concerned. Certain parts of the song, especially the end, didn't sound good, period. Just like Constantine's "How You Remind Me" last year...

You say Chris's stuff sounds the same. It sure does. To me, that's what makes a great artist. Look at certain rock bands through the years. With the great ones, you may not know a certain song, but you know it is them performing.
THAT'S Chris...

I know they weren't limited to any specific chart, but I still say that Hick DID take the easy way out, picking an old song from an old album (see above) on one of Billboard's more random & obscure charts. Going the extra mile to me would be finding a current song that fits your style & personality, like Kat did with "Black Horse & The Cherry Tree"...

Trish
05-03-06, 12:23 PM
That screaming is exactly the reason why I said I was concerned. Certain parts of the song, especially the end, didn't sound good, period. Just like Constantine's "How You Remind Me" last year...

You say Chris's stuff sounds the same. It sure does. To me, that's what makes a great artist. Look at certain rock bands through the years. With the great ones, you may not know a certain song, but you know it is them performing.
THAT'S Chris...

I know they weren't limited to any specific chart, but I still say that Hick DID take the easy way out, picking an old song from an old album (see above) on one of Billboard's more random & obscure charts. Going the extra mile to me would be finding a current song that fits your style & personality, like Kat did with "Black Horse & The Cherry Tree"...
Well, I guess that's why it's a popular vote that decides, because we all have different opinions. It's the nature of the show. We can just agree to disagree. I guess I just can't be a big fan of anyone who sings a Creed song :lol: :::shudder:::

Frankly, I don't think any of the men are "American Idol" material. At this point, once Paris goes (which I hope is tonight), I really don't care who wins.

IronCaballo4
05-03-06, 12:30 PM
You have a crush on Katharine?! Who knew?! ;) :D

I actually called in and voted for her 5 times. and I never called in for that show

TheBamTino24
05-03-06, 12:55 PM
That "dialidol" thing claims basically anyone other than Taylor Hicks could be on the chopping block. Their margin of error has Chris Daughtry and Elliott Yamin ranging from 2nd to 4th place, with Katharine McPhee from 2nd to 5th. Paris Bennett is listed as 4th or 5th, and is currently in last place behind McPhee.

http://dialidol.com/asp/predictions/Predictions.asp

krystl
05-03-06, 01:10 PM
What's with all the Taylor hate? I love his charm and personality. Sheesh, half of today's singers can't sing, but their stage presence (and some creative mixing in the studio) make them appear superstars.

Jace
05-03-06, 01:49 PM
What's with all the Taylor hate? I love his charm and personality. Sheesh, half of today's singers can't sing, but their stage presence (and some creative mixing in the studio) make them appear superstars.

I almost never watch the show, but I saw him do "play that funky music" last night, and his hair and outfit made him look like a 48 year old executive at a sofware company going overboard on casual friday. I laughed for awhile

JfromJersey
05-03-06, 02:17 PM

I don't hate Taylor. I just don't think he deserves to be top dog every week. Just because he's charming and has no inhibitions doesn't make him an American Idol, but that's JMO.

OxDiesel
05-03-06, 02:37 PM
Well, I guess that's why it's a popular vote that decides, because we all have different opinions. It's the nature of the show. We can just agree to disagree. I guess I just can't be a big fan of anyone who sings a Creed song :lol: :::shudder:::

Frankly, I don't think any of the men are "American Idol" material. At this point, once Paris goes (which I hope is tonight), I really don't care who wins.

And one of their WORST songs at that!!! I was very disappointed that week, especially after "Walk The Line" the week before.

Of all the guys, the only male that was really "Idol" material was Ace. I'll never forget watching Wifey's reaction when he did "Father Figure" the very first week. I've NEVER seen her lose her cool around a guy, and I swear, I thought she was gonna throw her panties at the TV.

OxDiesel
05-03-06, 02:39 PM
I almost never watch the show, but I saw him do "play that funky music" last night, and his hair and outfit made him look like a 48 year old executive at a sofware company going overboard on Casual Friday. I laughed for awhile

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
THANK YOU

jlw1980
05-03-06, 05:15 PM
That "dialidol" thing claims basically anyone other than Taylor Hicks could be on the chopping block. Their margin of error has Chris Daughtry and Elliott Yamin ranging from 2nd to 4th place, with Katharine McPhee from 2nd to 5th. Paris Bennett is listed as 4th or 5th, and is currently in last place behind McPhee.

I noticed that. I was surprised that it has Katharine 2nd to last. Of course, as most predicted, Paris will probably go tonight.

JfromJersey
05-03-06, 05:27 PM
I noticed that. I was surprised that it has Katharine 2nd to last. Of course, as most predicted, Paris will probably go tonight.

I'm worried about Kat tonight.

jlw1980
05-03-06, 05:30 PM
I'm worried about Kat tonight.

So am I...but I still think it'll be Paris who goes home.

krystl
05-03-06, 05:37 PM
I don't think Kat is going home. She has had a few shaky performances but in general I think she is pretty popular.

I agree, Paris should be going tonight.

JfromJersey
05-03-06, 05:48 PM
If there's one female left in the competition it has to be Kat, but it really wouldn't shock me if she goes home tonight. Obviously she's talented, and beautiful, but for some reason I think she rubs some people the wrong way.

krystl
05-03-06, 05:57 PM
If there's one female left in the competition it has to be Kat, but it really wouldn't shock me if she goes home tonight. Obviously she's talented, and beautiful, but for some reason I think she rubs some people the wrong way.
I've liked her since the beginning. I know someone here called her arrogant, or something like that. I don't see it. She is confident, but not cocky, IMO. I love her perky personality.

krystl
05-03-06, 05:59 PM
And one of their WORST songs at that!!! I was very disappointed that week, especially after "Walk The Line" the week before.

Of all the guys, the only male that was really "Idol" material was Ace. I'll never forget watching Wifey's reaction when he did "Father Figure" the very first week. I've NEVER seen her lose her cool around a guy, and I swear, I thought she was gonna throw her panties at the TV.
Ace had his one success with that song and never was able to follow it up. I loved him up to then too, and then it was all downhill from there. But he's still a cutie. :)

NYYfan24
05-03-06, 06:46 PM
This is the poll I like best tonight! They were totally right last week.

http://www.zabasearch.com/ai_stats.php

:)

Luvtino
05-03-06, 06:55 PM

Thanks for sharing. I hope it's right. I'm nervous. :o

Trish
05-03-06, 07:25 PM
I've liked her since the beginning. I know someone here called her arrogant, or something like that. I don't see it. She is confident, but not cocky, IMO. I love her perky personality.
Did you ever read the message board at the official site? OMG...what a bunch of morons...

I think she's got great potential. She already has a very good voice, but with more experience and maybe some further training, I think she can be great.

JfromJersey
05-03-06, 07:34 PM

What about in previous weeks?
I sure hope they're on the money tonight.

#1PaFan
05-03-06, 07:35 PM
I think she's got great potential. She already has a very good voice, but with more experience and maybe some further training, I think she can be great.

Yes, more experience and further training would be good. Now, get me a beer, Wench.

krystl
05-03-06, 07:43 PM
Did you ever read the message board at the official site? OMG...what a bunch of morons...

No, I haven't read those boards. From the sound of it, I probably shouldn't.

She'll go far even if she doesn't win AI, IMO.

IronCaballo4
05-03-06, 08:42 PM
one more week of seeing mah woman! :D yeaaa boy

surge511
05-03-06, 08:50 PM
Who got voted off tonight?

IronCaballo4
05-03-06, 08:53 PM
Who got voted off tonight?

Paris went bye-bye

surge511
05-03-06, 08:58 PM
YESSSSSSS finally it happened!
How'd she take it?
Who else was in the bottom 3?

IronCaballo4
05-03-06, 09:12 PM
How'd she take it?

Paris and my woman Kat were in the bottom 2

Luvtino
05-03-06, 09:16 PM
Paris and my woman Kat were in the bottom 2

Your woman wasn't in the bottom 2. Elliot and Paris were. I am sure that will make your night. ;)

Bets of luck to Paris. Great voice that will only get better as she matures. I have no doubt that she will have a bright future. :)

Luvtino
05-03-06, 09:18 PM
How'd she take it?

I think she knew it was coming. She handled it with grace and maturity. :)

surge511
05-03-06, 09:20 PM
Well now that we're down to the final four, things are really going to get prickly. There are no characters left that aren't very well liked. Things certainly should get interesting.

SheffRocks11
05-03-06, 09:24 PM
Awww. I liked paris :(

JfromJersey
05-03-06, 09:27 PM
Your woman wasn't in the bottom 2. Elliot and Paris were. I am sure that will make your night. ;)

Bets of luck to Paris. Great voice that will only get better as she matures. I have no doubt that she will have a bright future. :)

Paris will be a star. So much talent for a 17 year old.

OxDiesel
05-03-06, 09:29 PM
Well now that we're down to the final four, things are really going to get prickly. There are no characters left that aren't very well liked. Things certainly should get interesting.

I guess you haven't seen any of my posts. (see the first post on page 37)
I've got a LOT of issues with Snaggletooth & Taylor the Hick...

OxDiesel
05-03-06, 09:33 PM

Looks like they were dead-on this week, too.
This could prove to be a valuable new toy. Tracking...

krystl
05-03-06, 09:38 PM
I used to e able to tell by whose number was busy and whose was ringing when I called at the end of the show. But I got tired of calling and wasting my time.

gdn
05-03-06, 09:41 PM
Buh-bye Paris!

IronCaballo4
05-03-06, 10:09 PM

oh yeah that's right....I must've been delirious from the McPheever

JfromJersey
05-03-06, 10:19 PM

That site, along with Dial Idol, both had Paris in the bottom, but that site had Kat with the highest vote percentage, while the other had her with the 2nd lowest. Very confusing.

JfromJersey
05-03-06, 10:23 PM
I guess you haven't seen any of my posts. (see the first post on page 37)
I've got a LOT of issues with Snaggletooth & Taylor the Hick...

Of the 4 remaining, those are the 2 I hope go next. Unfortunately, Taylor might con his way to the final 2.

keg411
05-03-06, 10:26 PM
Awww... I'll miss Paris. I liked her a ton, even though she didn't do that great, she is still more talented than Elliot and Kat. Although I actually hated Kat less. While the "...Cherry Tree" song was weird, weird is infinitely better than "sucky and boring".

Wish Elliot had gone instead. Thank goodness I'm not the only one here who doesn't buy the stupid "underdog" crap. I'll take Kat in the final three if it means getting rid of Elliot next week.

Slavenka
05-04-06, 05:07 AM
I'm also sad to see Paris go, although I'm not suprised. I thought it was sad that for her buh-bye montage, pratically everyone said she was great. It makes me a little disillusioned with the show- is it best singer or best performer? I used to like Chris, but he needs to change it up because I'm finding him boring. I used to think Taylor was endearing, then he got hokey. I will say I'm suprised that he's in the top every week. Also, I still think, even though I never post, that it's inconsiderate that forumers here don't spoil dialidol results.

Trish
05-04-06, 07:01 AM
I'm also sad to see Paris go, although I'm not suprised. I thought it was sad that for her buh-bye montage, pratically everyone said she was great. It makes me a little disillusioned with the show- is it best singer or best performer? I used to like Chris, but he needs to change it up because I'm finding him boring. I used to think Taylor was endearing, then he got hokey. I will say I'm suprised that he's in the top every week. Also, I still think, even though I never post, that it's inconsiderate that forumers here don't spoil dialidol results.
You're right. I shouldn't post the survey results for the people that choose to wait until the elimination show. Although I think most people that know of the site will check it out anyway. But I'll refrain.

At this point, the buh-bye montage is going to be the same for all of them. All of the pros had good things to say about the remaining contestants.

allybear
05-04-06, 07:48 AM
I was glad to see her go because I really couldn't see her as a pop star. I think she has a good singing voice and I really think she could find a niche doing jazz/standards kind of stuff - if something "crosses over" to pop radio (i.e., Norah Jones a few years ago), fine, but she'll have a much longer and happier career singing what she's good at instead of trying to be something she's not, which both of her songs this week seemed to be to me.

I think they'll all say good things about each of them because to get to this point, you have to have something going for you - the people who were there because they were "just ok" are gone.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-04-06, 07:49 AM
Ryan Seacrest:They hate you Paris, they don't want to see you on stage again
Paris: Thank You, America

NYYfan24
05-04-06, 08:22 AM
That site, along with Dial Idol, both had Paris in the bottom, but that site had Kat with the highest vote percentage, while the other had her with the 2nd lowest. Very confusing.

I read somewhere online (sorry no link...it was last week :o ) that the Dial Idol site only has phone calls...while the other site has combined phone and text calls...don't know if that's true...but if it is, it might explain things!

Anyway, I'm happy with the results, however, I was sad to see Paris go. It was her time, but I was sad nonetheless.

It gets harder every week.

TheBamTino24
05-04-06, 10:07 AM
A number of weeks back I thought the best two where Chris and Katharine. But I get the feeling that Taylor has this huge following and will probably be in the final 3. It would seem that it's between Elliott and Katharine next week.

JfromJersey
05-04-06, 12:25 PM
A number of weeks back I thought the best two where Chris and Katharine. But I get the feeling that Taylor has this huge following and will probably be in the final 3. It would seem that it's between Elliott and Katharine next week.

Well we all know that Taylor won't be leaving after Elvis week, right?

RhodeyYankee2638
05-04-06, 01:35 PM
Well we all know that Taylor won't be leaving after Elvis week, right?

not a chance in hell

50/1 he chooses Hound Dog

RhodeyYankee2638
05-04-06, 01:45 PM
I think Taylor will win. GO to the AI message boards. The remaining contestants have between 100,000-130,000 posts on their individual section. There are almost 500,000 posts on Taylor's alone

JfromJersey
05-04-06, 01:46 PM
not a chance in hell

It wouldn't surprise me if he comes out dressed in a sequin studded jumpsuit with long sideburns and slicked back hair.

JfromJersey
05-04-06, 01:50 PM
Kat will be at a distinct disadvantage. Elvis is so male associated.

krystl
05-04-06, 02:01 PM
She may pull it off. There are a lot of Elvis songs that could be sung by a woman.

surge511
05-04-06, 02:55 PM
I think Chris and Taylor will be the final 2 remaining. They are the most interesting and the best performers, and they both have pretty good voices, too. My guess is that regardless of who wins, they will both have successful singing careers.

IronCaballo4
05-04-06, 03:11 PM

She could sing Honky Tonk Badonkadonk and I'd still love her :D

Barb51850
05-04-06, 03:26 PM
She could sing Honky Tonk Badonkadonk and I'd still love her :D

I think the perfect song for Katherine would be "I Can't Help Falling Love With You"

(....and you could pretend she's singing it to YOU ;))

OxDiesel
05-04-06, 05:18 PM
I think Taylor will win. GO to the AI message boards. The remaining contestants have between 100,000-130,000 posts on their individual section. There are almost 500,000 posts on Taylor's alone

Any of those discuss his uncanny imitation of an epileptic retard??? :P

OxDiesel
05-04-06, 05:19 PM
not a chance in hell

I'll give you 25/1 on Blue Suede Shoes, Rhodey.
I've also got 10/1 that Chris does Jailhouse Rock.

In other news, Elliott is SOOOO done. With that theme, he doesn't stand a chance...

jlw1980
05-04-06, 06:06 PM
I think the perfect song for Katherine would be "I Can't Help Falling Love With You"

That one might work. It's my favorite Elvis song. I can't think of many Elvis songs that would work for a female singer. And of course, nobody will ever sing them like The King. :D

jlw1980
05-04-06, 06:08 PM
In other news, Elliott is SOOOO done. With that theme, he doesn't stand a chance...

I agree, and that makes me sad. I really like Elliott.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-04-06, 06:15 PM
I'll give you 25/1 on Blue Suede Shoes, Rhodey.
I've also got 10/1 that Chris does Jailhouse Rock.

we might both be right, they are doing 2 songs, remember :P

I think Elliot might be able to find a few good songs to sing, i think Kat is going to blow it bigtime.

OxDiesel
05-05-06, 04:40 PM
I think Kat is going to blow it bigtime.

I'll give you 5/1 that IC4 just messed himself thinking about that... :o

JfromJersey
05-05-06, 05:35 PM
That one might work. It's my favorite Elvis song. I can't think of many Elvis songs that would work for a female singer. And of course, nobody will ever sing them like The King. :D

Here's a list of Elvis songs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabetical_list_of_all_of_Elvis_Presley's_songs

Looking at the list, and eliminating songs not normally associated with Elvis, here is what I think might work for Kat:

Are You Lonesome Tonight
Can't Help Falling In Love
It's Now or Never
I Want You. I Need You. I Love You.
Love Me Tender

jlw1980
05-05-06, 05:40 PM
Looking at the list, and eliminating songs not normally associated with Elvis, here is what I think might work for Kat:

Are You Lonesome Tonight
Can't Help Falling In Love
It's Now or Never
I Want You. I Need You. I Love You.
Love Me Tender

Some of those are songs (from the link, not the ones you listed) associated w/ other bands, like the Beatles. I think she could do The Wonder of You. Elvis was just so....male. :ga-ga:

Barb51850
05-05-06, 08:33 PM

:lol:

IronCaballo4
05-05-06, 08:53 PM

:lol: great one

Slavenka
05-06-06, 10:52 AM
You're right. I shouldn't post the survey results for the people that choose to wait until the elimination show. Although I think most people that know of the site will check it out anyway. But I'll refrain.

At this point, the buh-bye montage is going to be the same for all of them. All of the pros had good things to say about the remaining contestants.

Thanks. :) Even though I can figure out who'll be going home, I appreaciate it because I do try to avoid AI spoilers on the internet and tv shows.
RE: montage- I understand how everything will be positive, but for some reason Paris' just really struck me as everyone saying how fabulous she is.

Has anyone read/ seen Simon's comments this week about next week's Elvis show? He said that Chris and Taylor should be fine, Kat will be vulnerable, and no mention of Elliot. It's as if the producers decided this week was a time for Kat to say goodbye. I'm still rooting for Elliot until the end.

ritaylnil
05-06-06, 04:15 PM
I think Kat might be better off camping it up w/something like "Blue Suede Shoes" or "Heartbreak Hotel" than a straight ballad. Elvis' ballads are sung in such a low key, I just think she'll come off badly. At least if she's being campy and fun, it seems like it could be more entertaining.

Anyone else here wonder why all these guys never get stuck trying to sing songs from gals? How about a Carly Simon week? or Jewel? or Celine Dion? or Barbara Steisand? Why should Katharine have to be put in such a dicey situation, but the guys don't have to? :-shrug-:

I hope someone does "Suspicious Minds". I love that song. I think Elliot will be able to find 2 songs from Elvis that he can do well. Chris and Taylor....I don't think they'll have a problem at all. I think Chris will definitely do "Jailhouse Rock" and then one of the ballads. Taylor will probably do "Hound Dog" or "Blue Suede Shoes" Either one of them could pull off "Suspicious Minds" or "Heartbreak Hotel". I'm looking forward to the show!

RhodeyYankee2638
05-06-06, 04:20 PM
Anyone else here wonder why all these guys never get stuck trying to sing songs from gals? How about a Carly Simon week? or Jewel? or Celine Dion? or Barbara Steisand? Why should Katharine have to be put in such a dicey situation, but the guys don't have to? :-shrug-:

Jewel? how many songs does she have. And there is an obvious, OBVIOUS reason why they stay away from Celine and Whitney

IronCaballo4
05-06-06, 06:20 PM
I'm waiting for death metal week

jlw1980
05-06-06, 06:34 PM
I'm waiting for death metal week

Yeah, throw in a little Slayer to spice things up. :lol:

JfromJersey
05-06-06, 06:34 PM
I think Kat might be better off camping it up w/something like "Blue Suede Shoes" or "Heartbreak Hotel" than a straight ballad. Elvis' ballads are sung in such a low key, I just think she'll come off badly. At least if she's being campy and fun, it seems like it could be more entertaining

If they're doing 2 songs each. she'll probably have 1 ballad and 1 uptempo.
I wonder what happens if more than one contestant chooses the same song?
Or is the choice of songs up to the contestants at all?

rock
05-06-06, 06:36 PM
Last year Carrie Underwood sung "Trouble" by Elvis which worked out well for her. Don't know which other Elvis songs have been sung before.

Trish
05-06-06, 07:12 PM
If they're doing 2 songs each. she'll probably have 1 ballad and 1 uptempo.
I wonder what happens if more than one contestant chooses the same song?
Or is the choice of songs up to the contestants at all?
Last year two people sang the same song on Philly sound week. I can't remember who they both were, but one of them was that Anthony Fedorov guy. I think the song was "If You Don't Know Me By Now."

ritaylnil
05-07-06, 07:37 PM
Jewel? how many songs does she have. And there is an obvious, OBVIOUS reason why they stay away from Celine and Whitney

Alright, Jewel was a stretch, but I think you get my point. I don't ever remember a theme week in which guys were expected to sing gal songs (correct me if I'm wrong anyone). Expecting gals to sing Billy Joel songs is one thing, because I think gals can sing many of them very well, but Elvis?!?!?! What a set up for disaster for Katharine.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-07-06, 07:39 PM
Alright, Jewel was a stretch, but I think you get my point. I don't ever remember a theme week in which guys were expected to sing gal songs (correct me if I'm wrong anyone). Expecting gals to sing Billy Joel songs is one thing, because I think gals can sing many of them very well, but Elvis?!?!?! What a set up for disaster for Katharine.

Its a testament to how good women singers are. A girl an pull off Elvis more than a guy could pull off Aretha or Barbara.

Slavenka
05-07-06, 08:04 PM
Its a testament to how good women singers are. A girl an pull off Elvis more than a guy could pull off Aretha or Barbara.

But it's possible if you pick someone like Carole King or Tori Amos, womyn who are great songwriters and just good singers.

RhodeyYankee2638
05-07-06, 09:55 PM
But it's possible if you pick someone like Carole King or Tori Amos, womyn who are great songwriters and just good singers.

yeah but theres a difference between Tori Amos, Carole King and Elvis, thats marketability. Man, a night of Tori Amos would be torturous

IronCaballo4
05-07-06, 10:30 PM
next week should be NWA week...

Kat performing "Straight Outta Compton"....oh baby :ga-ga:

1yanks1
05-09-06, 02:00 PM
Just read on my AOL home page who is singing what tonight:

Elliot: "Trouble" and "If I can dream"
Katharine: "Hound dog/All shook up" and "Can't help falling in love"
Chris: "Suspicious Minds" and "A little less conversation" (2 of my all time fave elvis songs!!)
Taylor: "Jailhouse rock" and "in the ghetto"

http://television.aol.com/news/article/_a/american-idol-finalists-visit-graceland/20060508160209990002

krystl
05-09-06, 02:12 PM

Chris: "Suspicious Minds" and "A little less conversation" (2 of my all time fave elvis songs!!)

http://television.aol.com/news/article/_a/american-idol-finalists-visit-graceland/20060508160209990002
Cool...my husband will be happy. He likes half the songs and I like the other half.

jlw1980
05-09-06, 02:54 PM

"Hound Dog" and "All Shook Up" are two different songs. Why is Katharine mixing them? I think she'll crash and burn on that combo, unfortunately. "Can't Help Falling In Love" is my favorite Elvis song, and one of my favorite songs ever. I cannot imagine a woman singing it. OK, I can't imagine anyone but Elvis singing it, but especially not a chick. :lol:

It sounds like it'll be a decent lineup.

Trish
05-09-06, 03:29 PM
I can totally see Taylor singing "In the Ghetto."

I can't wait till tonight!:)

krystl
05-09-06, 04:25 PM
I can totally see Taylor singing "In the Ghetto."

I can't wait till tonight!:)
I think Taylor will nail that song if he keeps it toned down a little.

I honestly can't picture Chris singing A Little Less Conversation. That song won't sound right if he screams it. I hope he can pull it off. Suspicious Minds I'm not so sure how he'll do.

I hope Elliott nails If I Can Dream.

OxDiesel
05-09-06, 06:02 PM
I think Taylor will nail that song if he keeps it toned down a little.

I honestly can't picture Chris singing A Little Less Conversation. That song won't sound right if he screams it. I hope he can pull it off. Suspicious Minds I'm not so sure how he'll do.

I hope Elliott nails If I Can Dream.

He already proved two weeks ago he doesn't have to scream everything (Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman). If anything is screamed, it will be "Close your mouth, open up your heart and satisfy me."

I mentioned earlier what I would have liked for choices, but I totally forgot about "Suspicious Minds", and I figured "Conversation" would be a Taylor choice. The night actually lines up pretty well for Chris (GREAT idea to not go with common covers), Kat ("Falling" is right up her alley) and Taylor the Hick (needs to avoid spazzing out w/ "Jailhouse" and could actually steal the show w/ "Ghetto").

Snaggletooth?? Not so nice knowing ya, bro...

krystl
05-09-06, 06:10 PM
We'll see... :P

Mattpat11
05-09-06, 07:28 PM
I hope Elliott nails If I Can Dream. He sounded like a lounge singer trying to do If I Can Dream. And Good Lord, does this girl SUCK at Hound Dog. Did she have to scream like that at the end?

RhodeyYankee2638
05-09-06, 07:59 PM
Katherine really sucked it hard. She did 3 songs, all over sung, couldn't remember the lyrics to 1 of them

IronCaballo4
05-09-06, 08:03 PM
I was disappointed in my woman tonight. But she's still FFFFFFFFFOINE :D

Barb51850
05-09-06, 08:08 PM
ELLIOTT!!! YES!!!!

Katherine is choking. She is trying too hard, and everything is over the top and strained.

Taylor was good on both songs. He always looks like he is having fun, and is very poised and relaxed.

Chris is beginning to bore me. Yes, he has an excellent voice, but IMO he is becoming robotic. Every performance is starting to look and sound the same.

Elliott is getting better and better. He was controlled, focused, and more animated than he has been on past shows. He looked relaxed. Simon is right. He came into the show as the underdog, and hit it out of the park. He seems to be dealing with the added pressure better than the others, especially Katherine.

Mattpat11
05-09-06, 08:08 PM
Katherine really sucked it hard. She did 3 songs, all over sung, couldn't remember the lyrics to 1 of them And believe me, I understand that she was at a disadvantage here, but at the same time, I've seen Wynonna Judd do an acceptable Elvis. The key is while yes, to some degree you have to make it your own, it should be recognizeable as an Elvis song. You had to REALLY listen to the lyrics to figure out what it was supposed to be.

Chris was by far the best of the night, specifically on Suspicious Minds.

And yes, this is only the second episode I've seen. The other was the Queen disaster show.

JfromJersey
05-09-06, 08:32 PM
I'm afraid Kat's a goner after tonight.
:(

IronCaballo4
05-09-06, 08:56 PM
I'm afraid Kat's a goner after tonight.
:(

I surely hope not

RhodeyYankee2638
05-09-06, 09:01 PM
I surely hope not

Theres a better chance she does playboy if she doesnt win the competition

IronCaballo4
05-09-06, 09:12 PM
Theres a better chance she does playboy if she doesnt win the competition

eh, I'd rather she not.

I've voted for her 12 times tonight

surge511
05-09-06, 09:49 PM
So is Katherine the probable choice for the one being voted off? I have thought all along it was going to come down to Taylor and Chris, although I thought Kellie was going to be in the top 3, also.

gdn
05-09-06, 09:49 PM
How did Taylor do? Can I still vote!?!?

keg411
05-09-06, 10:48 PM
Kat was awful.

I hate Elliot.

I think I'm rooting for Taylor to win now.

jlw1980
05-09-06, 11:10 PM
I can't believe it. I fell asleep and missed the whole damn show. :o

YankeesFanNuffSaid
05-09-06, 11:52 PM
Kat had the poorest night overall. It seems like she is focusing more on showing off her voice and range than singing a song as it should be sung. Chris, the faux-rocker, is getting more annoying and monotonous by the minute (his second song was the worst performance of the entire night). His egotistical stares into the camera and posturing with the mic stand, trying too hard to be a sex symbol and win the women's votes are both spooky and laughable at the same time. Taylor's spastic dancing, goofy act and so-so voice are getting a little tired. Elliot, who had the best night by far, is growing as a performer before our eyes.

Elliot and Kat have the most natural talent and best voices of those remaining. Kat's insistance on being the diva will be her downfall. By rights, Elliot should win it all because he's the most deserving. Also, he and Taylor seem the most humble and likeable of the bunch. Kat and Chris should spend some time getting over themselves.

jlw1980
05-10-06, 12:42 AM
Read the prediction at your discretion.

http://dialidol.com/asp/predictions/Predictions.asp

Luvtino
05-10-06, 01:24 AM
I am worried about Katharine, but I was worried about her the last few weeks as well and pray I am worrying for nothing.

I like them all so I will be sad regardless of who goes tonight. I am still pulling for Katharine or Chris to win, but I still think Taylor could be the dark horse in all of this.

Barb51850
05-10-06, 05:10 AM
Kat had the poorest night overall. It seems like she is focusing more on showing off her voice and range than singing a song as it should be sung. Chris, the faux-rocker, is getting more annoying and monotonous by the minute (his second song was the worst performance of the entire night). His egotistical stares into the camera and posturing with the mic stand, trying too hard to be a sex symbol and win the women's votes are both spooky and laughable at the same time. Taylor's spastic dancing, goofy act and so-so voice are getting a little tired. Elliot, who had the best night by far, is growing as a performer before our eyes.

Elliot and Kat have the most natural talent and best voices of those remaining. Kat's insistance on being the diva will be her downfall. By rights, Elliot should win it all because he's the most deserving. Also, he and Taylor seem the most humble and likeable of the bunch. Kat and Chris should spend some time getting over themselves.

Excellent analysis. I totally agree with you about Chris. Elliott got a huge shot of confidence last night, which is exactly what he needed. You are correct that he is the most deserving. He has the most natural singing talent. He understands phrasing, timing and dynamics. That's what good singing is, not screaming out high notes and holding those notes as long as possible.

krystl
05-10-06, 06:27 AM
I loved Taylor last night. He nailed both songs, IMO. :)
Elliott didn't do it for me as much, but I did like the second performance very much.
Chris ruined Little Less Conversation. It was so monotone.
Kat...well she looks beautiful on stage.

Barb51850
05-10-06, 06:48 AM
I loved Taylor last night. He nailed both songs, IMO. :)

YES!
"In the Ghetto" was gorgeous.

Trish
05-10-06, 07:08 AM
Katherine was definitely out of her element, and seemed like she was resigned to the fact. I still think she's great, though.

I'm bored with Chris. Why'd he have to pull that rocker crap out of his ass on Little Less Conversation, with the throwing the mike around nonsense? He could go after tonight and I wouldn't mind a bit.

Taylor and Elliot were by far the best. Elliot's grown in confidence and stage presence, and is coming into his own.

allybear
05-10-06, 07:18 AM
I didn't really get to see much of it (darn work!) but JP said Elliott nailed it (not sure which song, I guess his first one, because it was still kind of early), and he isn't/wasn't a big Elliott fan, so that's a good sign for him. I did see "In the Ghetto" and it was good and "Hound Dog", which was not, but I missed pretty much everything else, so we shall see.

yanksphan
05-10-06, 11:36 AM
I swear Elliot is a pshycological experiment on the American public. If we keep telling you he's good, sooner or later you will believe it.

I just can't see what's so attractive about his "ability". I've even tried the "close your eyes and just listen" method when he comes on, but I still can't find anything resembling talent.

Like Ox said earlier - he is the most uncomfortable finalist I've ever had to watch on this show.

That said, I think Daughtry is a goner. It's time.

CoyoteYankee
05-10-06, 11:42 AM
For the first time since this show started I have completely lost all interest in this show. I don't find any of the finalists appealing. Not one of them has blown me away with anything. In past years there have been performances that have literally made me cry. I know that's corny but there have been. This season there has been nothing. I don't know if I'm just getting bored with the show or if it is just that the people aren't doing anything for me. Either way, I don't know if I care enough to watch to see who wins!

JfromJersey
05-10-06, 12:06 PM
I swear Elliot is a pshycological experiment on the American public. If we keep telling you he's good, sooner or later you will believe it.

I just can't see what's so attractive about his "ability". I've even tried the "close your eyes and just listen" method when he comes on, but I still can't find anything resembling talent.

Like Ox said earlier - he is the most uncomfortable finalist I've ever had to watch on this show.

That said, I think Daughtry is a goner. It's time.

To get away with not being physically attractive, and not having the best personality or stage presence, you have to have an amazing vocal talent. Elliott obviously doesn't have the first 2 qualities, and although he has a very good voice, it doesn't blow you away. It doesn't have the range or power of a Clay Aiken for example. It would be weird if an Elliott Yamin becomes the next American Idol.

Taylor Hicks is still a novelty act in my eyes. He is vocally the weakest of the remaining contestants, and I think he is getting by on the sheer force of his personality, which makes everyone else pale by comaprison.

Kat McPhee is really the only contestant left who has the entire package..looks, voice, and stage presence, although she's a bit weak in terms of personality. I don't find her arrogant at all, just a bit nervous, which is understandable. She has also shown the most versatility as a performer. I think she deserves to stay, although yesterday was not one of her better days.

Chris is the lead singer of a band. That's the image I have of him. The longer he hangs around, the less he impresses me as a guy who could have a successful solo career. He has vocal chops no doubt, but everything seems to be an expression of angst and pain, even the slower numbers. I think a lot of his earlier luster has worn off.

keg411
05-10-06, 12:33 PM

So much word. Elliot is not good at all, and I have no idea what the American public sees in him besides "underdog". He has zero charisma, very little talent and less sex appeal than anyone else who ever appeared on Idol ever. He's also not marketable at all -- I can't imagine what an Elliot CD would sound like, except that it would probably be awful.

I won't be suprised to see Chris leave, though it most likely will be Kat and should be Elliot. If Chris goes, all of my support will go to Taylor, because if Elliot or Kat win it will be an embarassment (although as much as I've disliked Kat and her performances last night, she's much more marketable than Elliot and if it was between the two of them, I'd rather see a Kat win).

Barb51850
05-10-06, 01:10 PM
Of course, we all have different musical tastes, and have different opinions on the remaining 4 contestants.

My $.02 -

All 4 of these people are very talented, and I would buy a CD that any of them recorded. If they were not good, they would not be in the final 4 on American Idol. IMO, looks do not matter. Rubin won, and he wasn't good looking. Same with Fantasia.

jlw1980
05-10-06, 01:17 PM
Of course, we all have different musical tastes, and have different opinions on the remaining 4 contestants.

My $.02 -

All 4 of these people are very talented, and I would buy a CD that any of them recorded. If they were not good, they would not be in the final 4 on American Idol. IMO, looks do not matter. Rubin won, and he wasn't good looking. Same with Fantasia.

I don't know that I'd buy a CD by any of them. To me, none of them has that "star" quality, worthy of making them "idols." That said, I'm hoping Elliott wins, since he's got the best voice.

yanksphan
05-10-06, 01:54 PM
I don't know that I'd buy a CD by any of them. To me, none of them has that "star" quality, worthy of making them "idols." That said, I'm hoping Elliott wins, since he's got the best voice.

Just curious, since you obviously enjoy Elliott - who would you compare him to in the music world?

Barb51850
05-10-06, 02:00 PM
Just curious, since you obviously enjoy Elliott - who would you compare him to in the music world?

You didn't direct the question to me, but I would like to answer:

Donny Hathaway.He was a popular soul singer in the 70's. Elliott performed one of his songs (sorry, I forgot the title).

krystl
05-10-06, 02:04 PM
Why does he have to sound like someone else? He can have his own unique style.
He may be similar to others but not like anyone of today really. Something different is good.

allybear
05-10-06, 03:38 PM
I'd buy a CD from Chris because the CD would probably be the kind of music I like.

I think either Chris or Kat would stand the best chance of actually becoming successful, though - Taylor and Elliott are each interesting in their own way, but I can't imagine who would actually buy a CD of theirs or what radio format they'd fit into (sad but true, in today's world, you have to "fit" some mold).

rock
05-10-06, 03:42 PM
It seems like the music producers like Tommy Mottola and David Foster really love Kat in the brief clips they showed. She does have an amazing voice, it just looks like she is getting really nervous up there on stage.

jlw1980
05-10-06, 03:43 PM

Like Barb said, I don't know that I'd compare him to anyone. I just like his voice.

Barb51850
05-10-06, 03:51 PM
She does have an amazing voice, it just looks like she is getting really nervous up there on stage.

Yes, she does have a beautiful voice. Too bad her nerves are getting the best of her. To use a baseball analogy - she's like a hitter who is beginning to go into a slump and starts pressing (which only makes the slump get worse).

jlw1980
05-10-06, 04:22 PM
An Elliott article:
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12707801/

There are links to articles for the other three contestants at the bottom of the page.

smr15
05-10-06, 05:16 PM
Katherine was definitely out of her element, and seemed like she was resigned to the fact. I still think she's great, though.

I'm bored with Chris. Why'd he have to pull that rocker crap out of his ass on Little Less Conversation, with the throwing the mike around nonsense? He could go after tonight and I wouldn't mind a bit.

Taylor and Elliot were by far the best. Elliot's grown in confidence and stage presence, and is coming into his own.

yep.
Trish has the correct answer. (As did Barb)

:D

krystl
05-10-06, 07:57 PM
It seems like the music producers like Tommy Mottola and David Foster really love Kat in the brief clips they showed. She does have an amazing voice, it just looks like she is getting really nervous up there on stage.
It's amazing what a studio and some digital mixing can do. ;)

IronCaballo4
05-10-06, 08:31 PM
ohhhh baby, one more week of my gal :D

Big_E
05-10-06, 08:35 PM
Man, I was so sure Katharine was going home when she was in the bottom 2....and I'm so glad she's still here! :D

Since the auditions my two favorites have been Taylor and Kat...amazingly they're still around. If they could make the finals I don't know who I'd root for. Kat is still my favorite, but after Simon telling Taylor he'd never make it to the Top 24, to win the whole damn thing would be sweet revenge.

Go Kat! Go Taylor! :D

yanksphan
05-10-06, 08:36 PM
Why does he have to sound like someone else? He can have his own unique style.
He may be similar to others but not like anyone of today really. Something different is good.

Believe me - I completely understand (music major/professor) :)

It's just an easy way for me to find out what people enjoy about an entertainer.

The Hathaway statement makes a lot of sense to me actually. Perhaps I will get in that frame of mind next time I listen to him.

jlw1980
05-10-06, 08:39 PM
So did Chris or Elliott leave?! This dumb state is the only one (except Hawaii, which is a million miles away, anyhow) in the country w/out Daylight Savings, so it's on here an hour later...and I'm watching one of the few Yankee games I get to see on TV. Tell me! :)

Barb51850
05-10-06, 08:43 PM
So did Chris or Elliott leave?! This dumb state is the only one (except Hawaii, which is a million miles away, anyhow) in the country w/out Daylight Savings, so it's on here an hour later...and I'm watching one of the few Yankee games I get to see on TV. Tell me! :)

Chris is gone. I'm happy - he was putting me to sleep the last few weeks.

jlw1980
05-10-06, 08:45 PM
Chris is gone. I'm happy - he was putting me to sleep the last few weeks.

I'm so glad it wasn't Elliott! He's such a cutie-patootie.:cool:

I'm sure Chris will still be successful. I wish him well. :)

ALR83
05-10-06, 08:55 PM
I'm pissed he was voted off, but I think in the end it'll be better for him. I would have rather seen Elliot go. Just something about his voice bugs me, it always sounds shaky.

krystl
05-10-06, 09:00 PM
Chris has been one of my faves from the beginning, but I have really taken a liking to Elliott and I love Taylor. I know Chris will be successful and like someone said earlier, he's more of a front man than a solo artist.

Barb51850
05-10-06, 09:22 PM
I'm so glad it wasn't Elliott! He's such a cutie-patootie.:cool:

I had to laugh when I read this post. When I first saw Elliott, I thought he was homely. Then came the wardrobe changes, changes in his hairstyle. All of a sudden I'm saying "Hey baby, where have YOU been!" :ga-ga:

I was somewhat surprised with the results, but not completely shocked. Chris, while having a fantastic voice, was limited in his appeal and it began to show. One of the problems I had with him was that he always showed too much intensity. I never remember him ever smiling when he sang. I would have liked to have heard him do a light song, and smile. As I've mentioned in earlier posts, he just got boring. Katherine has some breathing room, but she is on thin ice. Of course, there are a lot of "ifs" -- If Katherine has another bad week, she's probably gone. If Elliott continues to improve, he can win it. Taylor has to just keep doing what he's been doing.

surge511
05-10-06, 09:44 PM
I can't believe Chris is gone. He was by far the best in the field. Now, my money is on Taylor. Elliot and Katherine are too boring for my liking..

montrealer
05-10-06, 09:46 PM
I don`t watch the show .....but my wife is in utter shock that this guy got voted off instead of "What`s her Name":roflmao: She`ll never look at an American the same again.

Yankee Bulldawg
05-10-06, 10:10 PM
i was in total shock that Chris got voted off, Kat is lucky to still be around she messed up on lyrics in her final song last night, even Simon was in total shock that Chris got voted off and how Elliot is among the final 3 is beyond me. i am all for Taylor winning it since he's the best of the 3 left.

keg411
05-10-06, 10:13 PM
I'm pissed that Chris got voted off... but it was kind of a pattern with the favorite; Tamyra in the first season and LaToya in the third, so of course, the favorite would get voted off in the 5th season as well.

Taylor is the only one left that I like. I despise Elliot and Kat is inconsistent. That said, I'd rather have a Taylor/Kat final than a Taylor/Elliot final (though Taylor should easily beat either of them).

Luvtino
05-10-06, 10:52 PM
I'm pretty bummed. I missed the show. What did the judges say?! How did he take it?! :(

I am sure he will still get a record deal. I wish him luck. :)

ALR83
05-10-06, 11:48 PM
Chris looked shocked and Simon's face was just...I've never seen Simon look so stunned before. Paula was very upset too. I don't remember seeing Randy. Before Ryan said who was going home Kat had this look on her face like she knew she was gone, and then when he said Chris she pretty much had the same reaction everyone did: shock.

yankeesAZ
05-10-06, 11:58 PM
My g/f is an avid Idol watcher and says she will not watch the finale. I'm not buying it, but she seems quite serious right now.

Luvtino
05-11-06, 12:18 AM
Chris looked shocked and Simon's face was just...I've never seen Simon look so stunned before. Paula was very upset too. I don't remember seeing Randy. Before Ryan said who was going home Kat had this look on her face like she knew she was gone, and then when he said Chris she pretty much had the same reaction everyone did: shock.

Thanks for the info. :)

rock
05-11-06, 01:25 AM
Even Paul O'Neill was shocked at Chris being voted off. I guess he is a fan of American Idol.

ritaylnil
05-11-06, 03:10 AM
Even Paul O'Neill was shocked at Chris being voted off. I guess he is a fan of American Idol.

:lol: Best line of the night! I was stunned when I switched back to the game and heard them announce that Chris was voted off! I think that's the first time AI was mentioned during a Yankees broadcast.

ALR83
05-11-06, 03:12 AM
:lol: Best line of the night! I was stunned when I switched back to the game and heard them announce that Chris was voted off! I think that's the first time AI was mentioned during a Yankees broadcast.

When my mom told me that I thought she was kidding. :lol: Mad I missed it lol.

ritaylnil
05-11-06, 03:15 AM
I was surprised that Chris was voted off. I felt he was the best of the night! I'm really surprised by the negativity expressed by many here about him. I loved the way he did both songs. I did not at all like Taylor's rendition of "In the Ghetto". The arrangement sucked and it sounded strange. And, even though I enjoyed "Jailhouse Rock", I can't help but agree with Simon when he makes the Karaoke comments. :lol: Elliot was certainly better than what people expected, but he didn't wow me with either song. And he just looks so pained when he sings! Kat was pretty bad, but I believe this week was just a set up for her to fail. How about Barbara Steisand songs next week for the guys to struggle with?

I really felt terrible when Ryan told Chris he was going home. But I do believe it's probably best for him in the long run. He'll end up the lead man in a rock band, which is a good thing.

ritaylnil
05-11-06, 03:17 AM
When my mom told me that I thought she was kidding. :lol: Mad I missed it lol.

Paulie seemed genuinely shocked! :lol:

Trish
05-11-06, 05:55 AM
I'm pretty bummed. I missed the show. What did the judges say?! How did he take it?! :(

I am sure he will still get a record deal. I wish him luck. :)
I thought he was rather arrogant when he said that he was shocked that he was gone.

How can anyone be shocked at this point? So that pretty much tells me that he thinks he's better than any of them, and that just rubs me the wrong way. And I have to say I'm not surprised that was his reaction. He just seems really smug to me.

Trish
05-11-06, 05:57 AM
Paulie seemed genuinely shocked! :lol:

See? Now I thought it was "mock" shock. They seemed to be poking fun:lol:

I guess we all have different perceptions of things.

smr15
05-11-06, 07:22 AM
That's the way I read it also, Trish. I think Paul was reacting with sarcasm. Pretty funny.

btw, I'm not surprised Chris was tossed.
He's been boring for weeks........ add to that fact - his revelation concerning his choice of underwear must have turned off the 11 yr olds who were voting for him. ;)

allybear
05-11-06, 07:22 AM
I dunno - Paulie is kind of a rock guy (OK, 1000 year old classic rock, but still...) so maybe he did like Chris the best. I can't believe JP knew it and didn't tell me - I had to work even later last night than the night before so he Tivo'd it for me and I watched it at around 10:00 while he was watching the game. Too funny!

Anyway, I'm not happy, as I've said before, I cannot see the other guys having a successful career, but so be it. I guess Katherine had better not mess up anything else too badly and she'll win, because as much as I like the other two guys, I cannot picture ever buying a CD by them. Oh well, Fantasia seems to have a career singing the National Anthem and I'm sure Elliott or Taylor can join her in that!

ritaylnil
05-11-06, 08:01 AM
I just can't see the "arrogant" tag being placed on Chris. I know he said "yes" when Ryan asked him if he was shocked. But, let's face it, everyone was shocked. It showed on his face. Ryan put him on the spot by asking him that. Katharine got such poor reviews from the judges and really was pretty bad. She nearly gasped when Chris was told he was going home.

This is a guy who married a woman who already had 2 children. I don't think that qualifies him for sainthood, but he could have played up that angle of "Gee, what a great guy I am", but he didn't. He came into this competition knowing who he is and never wavering. I'm not sure why confidence means "cocky" or "arrogant".

Barb51850
05-11-06, 08:21 AM
IMO, whoever wins AI has to be versatile. Unfortunately, this label did not fit Chris (even though he is an exciting performer with an excellent voice). Every week it was the same formula, and that eventually cost him.

51BWilliams
05-11-06, 08:29 AM
Bummed that chris went home, but my wife loves elliot, and she doesn't take losing very well, so with him safe, my life is just plain better overall. The last Survivor, when Danni won, I lived in hell for about a week because I made the mistake of saying she was lookin mighty fine at the final tribal council. Im such a dumbass.

NYYfan24
05-11-06, 08:46 AM
I for one was quite pleased to see Chris go. While he has a nice voice. There was a certain coldness about him, that is great for a rocker...but IMO doesn't work for an "Idol".

I hope this really opens the door for Kat. My pick from the 1st rounds. :)

gdn
05-11-06, 08:50 AM
Very surpised that Chris was voted off - there was almost a deafening silence when Ryan announced his name.

YankeesFanNuffSaid
05-11-06, 10:02 AM
Excellent analysis. I totally agree with you about Chris. Elliott got a huge shot of confidence last night, which is exactly what he needed. You are correct that he is the most deserving. He has the most natural singing talent. He understands phrasing, timing and dynamics. That's what good singing is, not screaming out high notes and holding those notes as long as possible.

Thanks :). I've been reading your posts and agree with just about everything you are saying as well regarding the performances.

YankeesFanNuffSaid
05-11-06, 10:14 AM
I for one was quite pleased to see Chris go. While he has a nice voice. There was a certain coldness about him, that is great for a rocker...but IMO doesn't work for an "Idol".

I hope this really opens the door for Kat. My pick from the 1st rounds. :)

I'm not sure why Chris was being called a rocker. If one doesn't sing Whitney Houston songs on AI, are they considered to be a rocker?

As a matter of fact, I think that Chris' pretending to be some kind of rocker, with his creepy, contrived stares and ridiculous posing, might have been a good reason why he was voted off. I believe people tired of the "rock star" image he tried to project that might only work in some Vegas lounge.

1yanks1
05-11-06, 10:17 AM
I read in rolling stone that Fuel is interested in him being their new lead singer. Also Tommy Mottola seemed THRILLED with Chris. I have no doubt that he will do something big!!

YankeesFanNuffSaid
05-11-06, 10:52 AM
I read in rolling stone that Fuel is interested in him being their new lead singer. Also Tommy Mottola seemed THRILLED with Chris. I have no doubt that he will do something big!!

That's pretty funny and I mean no disrespect toward you and the info you're providing, but can anyone see true rockers, like say, Eric Clapton, Morrison, Bono or Steven Tyler (on the wilder side), being part of something so manufactured as AI and going against the likes of a Taylor, Kelly Pickler or Kat?

That's not to say I don't enjoy AI for it's entertainment value, but I'm not sure I'd go beyond that.

DontHateOnNumber2
05-11-06, 10:57 AM
I was SURE that Chris was going to win, just because I felt guys would like the whole rock thing and the girls scream for him. I find myself thinking that maybe Katherine will win, I just can't see Taylor or Elliot being voted by the fans.

DontHateOnNumber2
05-11-06, 10:59 AM
That's pretty funny and I mean no disrespect toward you and the info you're providing, but can anyone see true rockers, like say, Eric Clapton, Morrison, Bono or Steven Tyler (on the wilder side), being part of something so manufactured as AI and going against the likes of a Taylor, Kelly Pickler or Kat?

That's not to say I don't enjoy AI for it's entertainment value, but I'm not sure I'd go beyond that.
If INXS can have a reality show for a new lead singer, then there's no doubt that a band like Fuel (who has been off the radar for more than a few years now) would be looking for a face that's been out there and has a decent voice. Chris fits that need so I don't see it being impossible.

TinoFan84
05-11-06, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure why Chris was being called a rocker. If one doesn't sing Whitney Houston songs on AI, are they considered to be a rocker?

As a matter of fact, I think that Chris' pretending to be some kind of rocker, with his creepy, contrived stares and ridiculous posing, might have been a good reason why he was voted off. I believe people tired of the "rock star" image he tried to project that might only work in some Vegas lounge.

I'd say the reason they're referring to Chris as a "rocker" has a lot to do with the songs he sang ...

Fuel - Hemorrage
Creed - What If
Shinedown - I Dare You

Just to name a few ... would you not consider them "rock"?

ETA: add me to the list of those shocked/saddened by Chris being gone, but I think in the long run it's the best thing for him and his career.