PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio discussion (XM and Sirius)

Pages : [1] 2 3

YankeePride1967
01-16-06, 07:41 PM
I figured I'd rescue the Howard Stern thread and let the Stern fans discuss the Stern show and open this thread for those that want to discuss Satellite Radio.

YankeePride1967
01-16-06, 07:52 PM
The reason I chose XM was that they got the MLB agreement back in Nov. 2004. I had grown disenfranchised with "Free" radio long ago. WFAN was great, but you had to hit the station for the right 20 minute segment to hear any baseball talk. And the commercials, good God. FM let the cutesy announcers with their schtick take over and again, the commercials. I took to listening to CDs in the car. I still listen to CDs and occasionally turn WFAN on. However, MLB Home Plate is a God-send. I also have gotten hooked on Opie and Anthony and love the COMMERCIAL-FREE music and music where the announcer shuts up before the song starts. Infinity is starting a campaign called "Free FM". What is free about 18 minutes of commercials an hour? Are they telling me that time isn't money or that time isn't valuable?

Even though I've lived in the Yankee market for WCBS, I prefer other announcers to Sterling/Waldman when on the road and also the MLB Home Plate channel which talks baseball 24/7/365. Also they play a classic game from the past each day. Lastly, when I move to Florida in May, I'll be able to listen to the Yanks.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
01-16-06, 07:54 PM
few places to start:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=69858
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=74342
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=74394
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=76947
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=78588
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=84045
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=90922
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=91217

YankeePride1967
01-16-06, 07:58 PM
I know that there were threads in the past 5 years discussing it, however since no one decided to use them and were needlessly hijacking the Howard Stern thread that had nothing to do with Howard, I'd give them (and me) a better place to discuss it.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
01-16-06, 08:00 PM
I know that there were threads in the past 5 years discussing it, however since no one decided to use them and were needlessly hijacking the Howard Stern thread that had nothing to do with Howard, I'd give them (and me) a better place to discuss it.

The intent was to show reference points so that the whole thread wasn't invalid arguments that had been cleared up in other threads (ex: company A isn't commercial free and company B is) not to say there are other threads.

YankeePride1967
01-16-06, 08:02 PM
The intent was to show reference points so that the whole thread wasn't invalid arguments that had been cleared up in other threads (ex: company A isn't commercial free and company B is) not to say there are other threads.

No, neither are commercial free, but I know XM's music channels are.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
01-16-06, 08:03 PM
No, neither are commercial free, but I know XM's music channels are.

As are Sirius. I brought it up because in on of those past threads someone mentioned their reason for XM over Sirius was the commerical free music, which they both have.

YankeePride1967
01-16-06, 08:05 PM
As are Sirius. I brought it up because in on of those past threads someone mentioned their reason for XM over Sirius was the commerical free music, which they both have.

Oh okay, I misunderstood, I thought you were saying there were commercials on it.

yankeesAZ
01-16-06, 09:16 PM
Now that I got my receiver issues fixed, there's no going back to "free" radio. Between this and my Ipod, I should be covered.

Stern does have commercials in his show, but they are very minimal and they even joked on the show how little time they have to go to the bathroom. Sometime he just plays a couple songs instead of a commercial for their breaks. I never expected him to do a 5-hour show straight through anyway. If others do, good for them.

YankeePride1967
01-16-06, 09:24 PM
Now that I got my receiver issues fixed, there's no going back to "free" radio. Between this and my Ipod, I should be covered.

Stern does have commercials in his show, but they are very minimal and they even joked on the show how little time they have to go to the bathroom. Sometime he just plays a couple songs instead of a commercial for their breaks. I never expected him to do a 5-hour show straight through anyway. If others do, good for them.

I read around the time he left K-Rock that they averaged 18 minutes of commercials per hour. O&A usually have 4-6 short breaks in their 4 hour show. Usually lasting 5 minutes or so each (1/2 would be some kind of bit and the rest advertizing mostly for other XM stations). I don't think it's realistic to expect ANY act to go that long without a break.

NelsonMuntz
01-16-06, 09:32 PM
I read around the time he left K-Rock that they averaged 18 minutes of commercials per hour. O&A usually have 4-6 short breaks in their 4 hour show. Usually lasting 5 minutes or so each (1/2 would be some kind of bit and the rest advertizing mostly for other XM stations). I don't think it's realistic to expect ANY act to go that long without a break.
Howard and Robin were actually talking about the commercials today. He said initially he did not want ANY commercials on his show for the first year of satellite but decided they need at least a few so they have a chance to go the bathroom. He said he hopes they never decide to run more than a few commercials in an hour (like they're doing now). You could tell he was really getting sick of all of the commercials on the old show.

NelsonMuntz
01-16-06, 10:39 PM
Yahoo article on satellite becoming mainstream:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060116/ts_alt_afp/afpentertainmentusradiosatellite_060115161248

yankeesAZ
01-16-06, 10:59 PM
Has anyone ever picked up someone else's satellite broadcast through FM? I set up my other stereos to pick up a certain FM frequency and I wondered if a neighbor might just stumble across Howard one morning and not know how the hell they are listening to him for free.

RhodyYanksFan
01-16-06, 11:15 PM
Howard and Robin were actually talking about the commercials today. He said initially he did not want ANY commercials on his show for the first year of satellite but decided they need at least a few so they have a chance to go the bathroom. He said he hopes they never decide to run more than a few commercials in an hour (like they're doing now). You could tell he was really getting sick of all of the commercials on the old show.

They can't do a commercial free show everyday. People have to go to the bathroom etc. However, just think that with the limited commercials they have now on satellite, it's like adding an hour of content to the show. A 4 hour show on FM is really like 2.75 hours but on satellite it's 3.5 hours at least.

WTrain44
01-17-06, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE=yankeesAZ]Between this and my Ipod, I should be covered.
QUOTE]

XM's newest portable units are also MP3 players, but aren't truly protable like the MyFi. The first portables had MP3 space to record XM content, but the new ones will let you transfer your own songs from the computer.
They don't recieve live broadcasts like the MyFi though, which kinda blows.
In the car and home docks, you still recieve live broadcasts though.

YankeePride1967
01-17-06, 04:50 PM

As they get more accustomed to the world of Satellite, they will get more used to using commercials and recorded bits at strategic times. (an opportunity to eat a bit, bathroom, etc.). But the best thing that Stern will find (as O&A have when I listen) if Stern is doing a bit that is flowing great and he knows it's great radio, he can ride the segment out as long as he wants as opposed to pre-maturely ending it like he did at K-Rock because they have to play 4 minutes of commercials. That factor there will be one of the largest reasons for the improved show, the bit ends when it ends, not because of commercials.

YankeePride1967
01-17-06, 04:52 PM
Has anyone ever picked up someone else's satellite broadcast through FM? I set up my other stereos to pick up a certain FM frequency and I wondered if a neighbor might just stumble across Howard one morning and not know how the hell they are listening to him for free.

I don't know about Sirius, but on XM, the MyFi when set on FM can be heard on any radio within 1/4 of a mile of it. So it is possible that it could happen. I can imagine the surprise of the person next door with little Joey eating his spaghetti-os turning the radio on and hear Stern blow a fart. But normally the FM station chosen is one where there isn't an FM station coming in clearly.

yankeesnum1
01-17-06, 07:56 PM
If they know what FM channel your using, I'm sure they can get the show from you. I live 3 floors below my sister and brother in law and I can get their signal. We use the same FM channel. I'm sure not that it matters, we both have Sirius

yankeesAZ
01-17-06, 08:21 PM
If they know what FM channel your using, I'm sure they can get the show from you. I live 3 floors below my sister and brother in law and I can get their signal. We use the same FM channel. I'm sure not that it matters, we both have Sirius

So perhaps I can broadcast him to my entire apartment complex (500 units/2,000ppl). Maybe I should take subscription orders (say $4-5/mo) :bad:

yankeesAZ
01-17-06, 08:21 PM
I don't know about Sirius, but on XM, the MyFi when set on FM can be heard on any radio within 1/4 of a mile of it. So it is possible that it could happen. I can imagine the surprise of the person next door with little Joey eating his spaghetti-os turning the radio on and hear Stern blow a fart.

Now that would be funny!

YankeePride1967
01-17-06, 08:39 PM
Now that would be funny!

I've always liked crude and politically incorrect humor.

yankeesAZ
01-17-06, 09:37 PM
I've always liked crude and politically incorrect humor.

What makes that scenario funny is that Stern played that "2001" song to open his debut, but the entire song was farted. I'm just picturing little Johny catching this show by mistake.

dabomb2045
01-17-06, 10:00 PM
I was torn between XM and Sirius...but I went with XM. I originally thought Sirius because of Stern and the NFL....but I'm content with O&A on XM. Plus XM has MLB and NHL....which is good enough for me.

Panamaniac42
01-17-06, 11:36 PM
I bought my girlfriend a MyFi for Christmas, and she in turn bought me a Roady XT.

In praising XM, I am by no means dissing Sirius, because I don't know much about Sirius & its pros/cons. I simply went with XM for MLB and O&A.

The MyFi is awesome. I was very happy to get two $50 rebates when I bought it, as well as the free activation. The only bad part was that the batteries they are currently issuing with it have a "slim chance of being defective/overheating". My girlfriend received her replacement battery today ... 3 weeks delivery time, not bad. It really wasn't an issue because she has it set up in her house anyway, but its cool that she can now take it out with her.

I didn't realize how much I missed O&A. I thought it might not be as funny with them actually cursing because I used to enjoy the way they "worked around" things on WNEW and used substitutes, etc., but it is actually funnier uncensored.

The MLB deal...no need for me to explain how excited I am for baseball to start.

Also I'm very happy with the Roady XT...and it worked out well for my gf. being that monthly fees on any additional radios on the account are half price.

Very satisfied with XM for sure. Anyone with Sirius please do tell me about it (I'm curious), what do you like, what don't you like.

Tifoso
01-18-06, 12:09 AM
He said he liked XM.

I said, obviously you can't be Sirius.

JDPNYY
01-18-06, 12:11 AM
He said he liked XM.

I said, obviously you can't be Sirius.

Take that one back to the shop and work on it. There's a joke there, you just need to refine it a bit.

Panamaniac42
01-18-06, 12:23 AM
Take that one back to the shop and work on it. There's a joke there, you just need to refine it a bit.

:lol:

He said he liked XM.

I said, surely you can't be Sirius.

He said I am serious, but don't call me Shirley.

nyuk nyuk nyuk

yankeesAZ
01-18-06, 12:28 AM
I bought my girlfriend a MyFi for Christmas, and she in turn bought me a Roady XT.

In praising XM, I am by no means dissing Sirius, because I don't know much about Sirius & its pros/cons. I simply went with XM for MLB and O&A.

The MyFi is awesome. I was very happy to get two $50 rebates when I bought it, as well as the free activation. The only bad part was that the batteries they are currently issuing with it have a "slim chance of being defective/overheating". My girlfriend received her replacement battery today ... 3 weeks delivery time, not bad. It really wasn't an issue because she has it set up in her house anyway, but its cool that she can now take it out with her.

I didn't realize how much I missed O&A. I thought it might not be as funny with them actually cursing because I used to enjoy the way they "worked around" things on WNEW and used substitutes, etc., but it is actually funnier uncensored.

The MLB deal...no need for me to explain how excited I am for baseball to start.

Also I'm very happy with the Roady XT...and it worked out well for my gf. being that monthly fees on any additional radios on the account are half price.

Very satisfied with XM for sure. Anyone with Sirius please do tell me about it (I'm curious), what do you like, what don't you like.

I had issues with my intitial receiver with Sirius, but it took me a while to figure that out. Now I have very little issues with my reception.

There's plenty of room for XM or Sirius. Both offer great commercial free music and each has its own selling points for each individual. I watch baseball on MLBTV through my cpu and Stern is why I went to Sirius.

Your point about O & A uncensored makes sense. At first, I wondered if Stern would lose something because he's doesn't have to work around the censorship or have the FCC on his ass, but the shows are better.

RhodyYanksFan
01-23-06, 02:49 PM
Big article in Barrons this week about XM vs. Sirius. The Street likes XM alot better.

http://online.barrons.com/public/main
"Don't Bet on Howard" is the title of the article. It's a pay site, but I have the text if anyone wants it. It's 6 pages on word.

Some highlights:

Here's why XM looks more attractive than Sirius:
XM and Sirius have market values that aren't too far apart, but XM has almost double the number of subscribers. XM is likely to maintain its lead in the coming years because it has a stronger stable of automotive partners than Sirius, including all of the major Japanese car makers, starting in 2007. XM's partners control about 60% of the U.S. auto market.
"It's a significant disappointment to us that our market cap is lower than that of our competitor," says Gary Parsons, XM's chairman. "We have more subscribers, and we add them at a fraction of the cost." XM's cost per acquiring a subscriber is roughly $100, versus about $200 for Sirius, although Sirius aims to bring down those costs. "Investors at this point don't seem to be valuing that we're twice as large and twice as efficient" as Sirius, Parsons says.

One of the risks with Stern is that his pull will wane because his Sirius audience is far smaller than the one he enjoyed in conventional radio. And Sirius hasn't been helped recently by Stern's early decision to file for the potential sale of the 34 million shares that the company granted to him and his agent as part of his outsized contract. It's not known whether he has unloaded any stock, but the filing prompted some fans of the company to accuse Stern of potentially pursuing a "pump and dump" strategy after relentlessly promoting Sirius in recent months.

Sirius' cash flow is expected to trail XM's because it's growing from a smaller subscriber base. JPMorgan's Crockett sees Sirius generating $622 million of free cash in 2010, while Citigroup's Furukawa projects $643 million. These projections suggest less upside potential for Sirius shares.

Dooley Womack
01-23-06, 02:54 PM

He said he liked XM.

I said, surely you can't be Sirius.

He said I am serious, but don't call me Shirley.

nyuk nyuk nyuk

:lol: Now THAT'S pure refinement.

YankeePride1967
01-23-06, 09:44 PM
XM is coming out with it's new unit in March. It is supposedly the size of a cell phone. It can of course record material, be portable like a walkman, show video and now record and play MP3's.

RhodyYanksFan
01-24-06, 08:25 AM
XM is coming out with it's new unit in March. It is supposedly the size of a cell phone. It can of course record material, be portable like a walkman, show video and now record and play MP3's.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/04/pioneer-unveils-inno-xm2go-portable-xm-radio-mp3-player/
This is what they do. Meanwhile Sirius still doesn't have a real portable unit. Their S50 makes you download the content and play it back later - it's NOT live.

YankeePride1967
01-24-06, 04:01 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/04/pioneer-unveils-inno-xm2go-portable-xm-radio-mp3-player/
This is what they do. Meanwhile Sirius still doesn't have a real portable unit. Their S50 makes you download the content and play it back later - it's NOT live.

Wow, that is real small. I have the Myfi and since I just bought an I-Pod Sunday I'll hold off on this one.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
02-16-06, 03:12 PM
XM looking like it might be in some trouble?

In a letter XM Satellite released on Thursday, Roberts abruptly resigned his position and said his warnings about a "significant chance of a crisis on the horizon" had been ignored by the board and other senior managers.
http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/060216/media_xmsatellite_roberts.html?.v=3

XM, the larger of the country's two satellite radio operators, lost $270.4 million, or $1.22 per share, after dividends for preferred stockholders, for the October-December period. In the same period a year earlier, the loss was $190.4 million, or 93 cents per share.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060216/earns_xm_satellite.html?.v=12

yankeesAZ
02-16-06, 07:05 PM
XM looking like it might be in some trouble?

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/060216/media_xmsatellite_roberts.html?.v=3

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060216/earns_xm_satellite.html?.v=12

I wonder what the "serious crisis" is?

YankeePride1967
02-16-06, 08:16 PM
if it's the fact that it's losing money, that's not a crisis, both companies have lost money in every quarter.

NYDCYankee
02-16-06, 08:45 PM
I wonder what the "serious crisis" is?

Could it be a Sirius crisis?

yankeesAZ
02-16-06, 09:18 PM

I doubt it. They still have a lot more subscribers.

if it's the fact that it's losing money, that's not a crisis, both companies have lost money in every quarter.

They should be fine unless they have an "Enron" going on there.

RhodyYanksFan
02-16-06, 10:22 PM

I doubt it. Sirius had one good quarter, but already the "Howard Effect" is dropping. XM should increase their lead in the first quarter of 06.

BronxByTheBay
02-16-06, 11:41 PM
I doubt it. Sirius had one good quarter, but already the "Howard Effect" is dropping. XM should increase their lead in the first quarter of 06.

I personally don't care to listen to her, but I would imagine the Oprah signing will turn out to be a big deal.

yankeesAZ
02-17-06, 12:04 AM
I personally don't care to listen to her, but I would imagine the Oprah signing will turn out to be a big deal.

Only if you see her more on XM than fans do on the Oxygen channel.

whiffleball
02-17-06, 11:43 AM
Keep in mind that I had both until I cancelled Sirius last week. I would love to see XM kick Sirius's ass but Oprah is only required to appear on the channel for 30 minutes a week. Who knows she may be on longer but there is a reason why it's called "Oprah and friends".

BronxByTheBay
02-17-06, 11:45 AM
Keep in mind that I had both until I cancelled Sirius last week. I would love to see XM kick Sirius's ass but Oprah is only required to appear on the channel for 30 minutes a week. Who knows she may be on longer but there is a reason why it's called "Oprah and friends".

Just out of curiosity, why'd you cancel Sirius?

whiffleball
02-17-06, 12:01 PM
Hi BBTB,

I had Sirius for one year and exclusively for the first 8 months of last year. The music became tiresome and seemed like the same stuff I could get from FM. Their talk channels were boring and I don't care for Howard. And the reception sucks (One word - geosynchronous). I just didn't feel like I was getting any value from my subscription.

Then I found a cheap Roady2 and a nice deal on XM and tried it out and I have been hooked. They always seem to have the type of music for the mood I'm in and they have pretty good talk. I like OandA and RandF.

There are 2 things I miss from Sirius, The real jazz station and Jim Breuer.

Sorry if that's too long winded.

BronxByTheBay
02-17-06, 01:06 PM
Hi BBTB,

I had Sirius for one year and exclusively for the first 8 months of last year. The music became tiresome and seemed like the same stuff I could get from FM. Their talk channels were boring and I don't care for Howard. And the reception sucks (One word - geosynchronous). I just didn't feel like I was getting any value from my subscription.

Then I found a cheap Roady2 and a nice deal on XM and tried it out and I have been hooked. They always seem to have the type of music for the mood I'm in and they have pretty good talk. I like OandA and RandF.

Not at all. I was curious because other than MLB and Howard, I couldn't tell the difference between the two content-wise. Granted I haven't had the exposure to Sirius that you did. I will say the one universal complaint I've heard from Sirius subscribers vs. XM is that the reception isn't great. I imagine that's something that will be fixed over time however.

RhodyYanksFan
02-17-06, 02:03 PM
I would love to see XM kick Sirius's ass but Oprah is only required to appear on the channel for 30 minutes a week. Who knows she may be on longer but there is a reason why it's called "Oprah and friends".

I don't think that will matter. Oprah fans are obsessive. Howard can talk all he wants, but she is more of a "queen of all media" then he is. People buy any book she recommends, and they buy her magazine that is basically just Ladies Home Journal but with Oprah on the cover. Just having her name associated with XM will bring people in. More then Martha Stewart for Sirius.

JDPNYY
02-17-06, 09:51 PM
I don't think that will matter. Oprah fans are obsessive. Howard can talk all he wants, but she is more of a "queen of all media" then he is. People buy any book she recommends, and they buy her magazine that is basically just Ladies Home Journal but with Oprah on the cover. Just having her name associated with XM will bring people in. More then Martha Stewart for Sirius.

Men buy gadgets. Nuff said.

RhodyYanksFan
02-21-06, 09:19 AM
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/02/14/200517.php

Good article.

KLJ
02-21-06, 09:29 AM

Good article.
good article? it was basically a commercial for opie & anthony

did their mother write it?

yankeesAZ
02-21-06, 11:07 AM
good article? it was basically a commercial for opie & anthony

did their mother write it?

Probably was.

What was more disturbing is that Roth gets $4M a year.

Panamaniac42
02-21-06, 11:31 AM
I have the Roady XT so I only use it in my car. There is no point in getting the home dock because I cannot get good reception in my house (I assume because directly South of me is a ton of trees constantly swaying back and forth in the wind). My girlfriend's MyFi works like crap here but at her place in Staten Island it gets amazing reception.

So when I listen at home I listen to XM online...and I just realized I can't get the sports/MLB channels when I'm listening to XM on my computer. NOT happy. :mad:

Panamaniac42
02-21-06, 11:33 AM

Good article.

Norton is the glue. I love that sick bastard.

NYDCYankee
02-21-06, 11:43 AM
Hi BBTB,

See the only reason I would want XM would be because of baseball and Ron and Fez. But I think the music options are fantastic and it is impossible to call it the same as FM simply because there are no commercials.

However, it can get a little scratchy (at times). Does XM never get scratchy?

RhodyYanksFan
02-21-06, 11:46 AM
See the only reason I would want XM would be because of baseball and Ron and Fez. But I think the music options are fantastic and it is impossible to call it the same as FM simply because there are no commercials.

However, it can get a little scratchy (at times). Does XM never get scratchy?

The only time I hear static is when I'm driving through an area that has a station broadcasting on the frequency I keep my FM modulator on (usually 88.7). When that happens I just switch to 88.1 or something and it clears up.

NYDCYankee
02-21-06, 11:52 AM
The only time I hear static is when I'm driving through an area that has a station broadcasting on the frequency I keep my FM modulator on (usually 88.7). When that happens I just switch to 88.1 or something and it clears up.

Oh ok. Well that is what happens with Sirius as well.

YankeePride1967
02-21-06, 12:18 PM
if you have a cassette player in the car, you can get one for the XM. Makes it crystal clear.

NelsonMuntz
02-22-06, 09:23 AM
The day I hear The Smiths, Interpol, The Stone Roses, Death Cab for Cutie, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Bloc Party, The Pixies, Deep Dish and Thievery Corporation on any given day on any combination of FM channels I will cancel my Sirius subscription. Until then I'm sticking with satellite.

tdel23
02-22-06, 11:01 AM
I just bought the s50 unit for my car and I love it. I haven't listened to "regular" radio since I got the unit.

NYDCYankee
02-22-06, 07:16 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
The day I hear The Smiths, Interpol, The Stone Roses, Death Cab for Cutie, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Bloc Party, The Pixies, Deep Dish and Thievery Corporation on any given day on any combination of FM channels I will cancel my Sirius subscription. Until then I'm sticking with satellite. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

WebsterMulligan
02-22-06, 07:30 PM
Does anyone who has XM radio, have any difficulty with reception?

I'm considering it for my office, but I am worried that reception could be an issue.

Tifoso
02-22-06, 07:33 PM
How much is the service now?

RhodyYanksFan
02-22-06, 07:45 PM
How much is the service now?

XM is 12.95 a month, but it's cheaper if you "buy in bulk" or prepay for 1-2 years upfront.

Tifoso
02-22-06, 07:46 PM
Thanks...I'm trying to decide it or MLB Radio, again. :)

yankeebot
02-22-06, 07:47 PM
Does anyone who has XM radio, have any difficulty with reception?

I'm considering it for my office, but I am worried that reception could be an issue.It really depends on how the building is situated. I get limited reception in my house but I was in a hotel and got reception on all floors and in the elevator.

jnewmark
02-22-06, 09:16 PM
It really depends on how the building is situated. I get limited reception in my house but I was in a hotel and got reception on all floors and in the elevator.

I had the portable XM player and it was useless outside my home. The clip on antenna they give you is a farce- signal goes in and out everytime you turn your head. Granted, the signal may not be strong in my area, but, even taken that into consideration, I was vey disapointed. The only time the signal was strong enough was when I hooked it up to my receiver and used the stationary antenna for home use. I finally sold it on Ebay.

yankeesAZ
02-22-06, 10:08 PM
Reception is the biggest issue for both companies (Sirius a little more). Unless you live near a repeater or have the abilitity to place your antenna outdoors to get the SAT signal, it can be quite frustrating to say the least.

BronxByTheBay
02-22-06, 10:13 PM
I've had XM for a year and have had zero reception issues (other than the obvious like a tunnel). Granted we only use it in the car so perhaps it's a different story in the house.

yankeebot
02-23-06, 04:52 AM
I had the portable XM player and it was useless outside my home. The clip on antenna they give you is a farce- signal goes in and out everytime you turn your head. Granted, the signal may not be strong in my area, but, even taken that into consideration, I was vey disapointed. The only time the signal was strong enough was when I hooked it up to my receiver and used the stationary antenna for home use. I finally sold it on Ebay.I have a one of those but the antenna is built in - nothing clips on. It works great. I also have a set of headphones for it with an antenna built into the part that goes over your head and that allows me to put the unit itself in my pocket.

whiffleball
02-23-06, 12:09 PM
Reception is the biggest issue for both companies (Sirius a little more). Unless you live near a repeater or have the abilitity to place your antenna outdoors to get the SAT signal, it can be quite frustrating to say the least.

Sirius works well in the car most times but their major issue is home reception. They have orbiting satellites, every hour or so I would have to re-position the antenna. Ever since I got XM I have had just about perfect reception.

I also have the MyFi and that works great. At first when I got it, I wanted to send it back because I couldn't get reception. Then I bought the antenna headphones and I work outside with them all the time.

The MyFi is a little over a year old and I hear they will have a truly portable unit (that requires no extra antennas) out around Q3 of this year.

From what I understand, XM has all the WBC games as well as most ST games. Bring on some Baseball!

RhodyYanksFan
02-23-06, 12:37 PM
The MyFi is a little over a year old and I hear they will have a truly portable unit (that requires no extra antennas) out around Q3 of this year.

From what I understand, XM has all the WBC games as well as most ST games. Bring on some Baseball!

The MyFi is over a year old and the "next gen" XM portables will be out next month. Sirius still doesn't have a first gen portable. Sirius' "portable" unit, the S50, requires you to download the content onto the unit's HD and then you can listen on the go. It's not live.

NYDCYankee
02-27-06, 10:43 PM
http://www.radioandrecords.com/Newsroom/2006_02_27/topstory.asp

R&R News Analysis: Stern-Free CBS Stations See Steep Listener Losses

The first batch of winter 2006 Phase One Arbitrends was released Monday by Arbitron, and, based on the results, CBS Radio's WFNY (92.3 Free FM)/New York and KLSX (97.1 Free FM)/Los Angeles have a difficult challenge ahead in attracting morning drive listeners to slots once dominated by Howard Stern.

For November and December 2005 and January 2006, WFNY earned a 2.7 share 12+ in New York, falling from a 3.2 in the fall 2005 survey. The extrapolated ratings for New York show a significant decline in listening for the station that was WXRK (K-Rock) until the start of this year. According to Cornerstone Research, the station then known as K-Rock earned a 3.2 share in November and a 3.7 in December, Stern's final month in mornings at his former flagship station. In January, WFNY received a 1.2 share 12+.

Meanwhile, former Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth's first month as Stern's successor in New York could portend a very bumpy road ahead. According to the extrapolated results, Roth's program earned a 1.8 share 12+ in January, ranking 18th. That compares to No. 1 showings for Stern's old program in November and December and the No. 3 showing — with a 5.3 share — Stern saw in October.

yankeegeek
02-27-06, 10:50 PM
I have the MiFi in my truck and love the thing! The tune select feature is terrific. My lade has the Roadie2 in her car and love the thing. She was listening to O and A on the way home from work and they had Kevin Smith on the show.

RhodyYanksFan
02-28-06, 03:02 PM
I have the MiFi in my truck and love the thing! The tune select feature is terrific. My lade has the Roadie2 in her car and love the thing. She was listening to O and A on the way home from work and they had Kevin Smith on the show.

Kevin Smith was great. He's such a funny guy. I could listen to him talk for a few hours a day. He should have his own show.

RhodyYanksFan
03-01-06, 04:16 PM
XM launched 2 new channels today.

Big Tracks - XM 49 - Later Classic Rock
The 70s wasn't the end of classic rock - only the beginning. From mullets to air guitars, Big Tracks delivers classic rock's best, straight through the early 90s. What a rockin' state of mind that is.

Artists You'll Hear: Journey, Bon Jovi, REO Speedwagon, Bryan Adams, Boston, Tom Petty, The Police, Aerosmith, The Cars, Van Halen, Bruce Springsteen

XM Chill - XM 84 - Chill Music
XM Chill is a voyage into the Chill, a place that pulses with exotic and cerebral music known as smooth electronica. Ambient, electronic and downtempo rock that's beyond a channel. It's an experience in sound.

Artists You'll Hear: Moby, Eno, Thievery Corporation, Zero 7, Chemical Brothers, Air, Radiohead, Massive Attack, Groove Armada

NelsonMuntz
03-01-06, 05:00 PM
XM Chill - XM 84 - Chill Music
XM Chill is a voyage into the Chill, a place that pulses with exotic and cerebral music known as smooth electronica. Ambient, electronic and downtempo rock that's beyond a channel. It's an experience in sound.

Artists You'll Hear: Moby, Eno, Thievery Corporation, Zero 7, Chemical Brothers, Air, Radiohead, Massive Attack, Groove Armada
Hmm, this sounds familiar: http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=Channel&cid=1104779639934

Channel 35 -- Chill: Take a break in the lounge and wind down with ambient, electronica and downtempo rock in a quiet groove. It's modern mood music that takes the edge off the day.

What we play: Moby, Massive Attack, Dido, Radiohead, Groove Armada, Coldplay and many more.
It's one thing to "borrow" an idea for a channel format but XM didn't even have the decency (or creativity) to come up with a different name for their channel. This is just intellectual thievery.

NYDCYankee
03-01-06, 05:18 PM
Forget what I said I was confusing it with the Spa channel

RhodyYanksFan
03-02-06, 08:30 AM
Hmm, this sounds familiar: http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=Channel&cid=1104779639934

It's one thing to "borrow" an idea for a channel format but XM didn't even have the decency (or creativity) to come up with a different name for their channel. This is just intellectual thievery.

So just because Sirius had a channel with that music first means that XM shouldn't be able to have one? I think they would have created this channel regardless. You sound like Howard.
"I invented everything Robin. I made fun of celebrities on my show. Any other show who does that is just copying me."

BronxByTheBay
03-02-06, 09:04 AM
So just because Sirius had a channel with that music first means that XM shouldn't be able to have one? I think they would have created this channel regardless. You sound like Howard.

Exactly. One thing annoying about Stern fans is the circling of the wagons around any product Stern is involved in. One of my friends is a diehard Stern fan and for years made fun of "Bubba the love sponge" and every other DJ Stern hated. Well, Bubba's apparently on one of Stern's channels now and gee - wouldn't you know it, he's suddenly FUNNY. Imagine that...

RhodyYanksFan
03-02-06, 09:15 AM
Exactly. One thing annoying about Stern fans is the circling of the wagons around any product Stern is involved in. One of my friends is a diehard Stern fan and for years made fun of "Bubba the love sponge" and every other DJ Stern hated. Well, Bubba's apparently on one of Stern's channels now and gee - wouldn't you know it, he's suddenly FUNNY. Imagine that...

Even Stern used to bash Bubba and call him a hack. He even said once "I don't want to be in an industry with someone named Bubba the Love Sponge. He should just call himself Howard Stern." Times have changed apparantly.

KLJ
03-02-06, 09:18 AM
who brought up stern? wow this turned into stern bashing real quick..

NelsonMuntz
03-02-06, 09:30 AM
You completely missed my point. I'm not criticizing XM's decision to create a channel around this type of music. But the fact that they didn't even bother to come up with a different name is just lazy and completely uncreative on the part of XM.

KLJ
03-02-06, 09:33 AM
question about xm..

the only channels i get are the ones offered on directtv.. this includes the baseball network.. do they plan on giving us directtv folks the baseball games?

BronxByTheBay
03-02-06, 09:34 AM
You completely missed my point. I'm not criticizing XM's decision to create a channel around this type of music. But the fact that they didn't even bother to come up with a different name is just lazy and completely uncreative on the part of XM.

So you think that Sirius creating a channel dedicated to ambient mood music and calling it "Chill" is any more creative?

Neither channel devotes a lot of energy to the names of their stations - just the content.

BronxByTheBay
03-02-06, 09:35 AM
question about xm..

the only channels i get are the ones offered on directtv.. this includes the baseball network.. do they plan on giving us directtv folks the baseball games?

Don't bet on it. I have XM and they don't offer those channels for live streaming during the season to subscribers. 175 is basically their baseball talk station, so that they don't mind giving out for free.

RhodyYanksFan
03-02-06, 09:37 AM
Don't bet on it. I have XM and they don't offer those channels for live streaming during the season to subscribers. 175 is basically their baseball talk station, so that they don't mind giving out for free.

I'm angry that 175 isn't even on XM Online.

yankeebot
03-02-06, 09:41 AM
I'm angry that 175 isn't even on XM Online.I agree. All channels should be available to subscribers. That said, it is really no big deal to me as I have several methods to play my radios at home.

NelsonMuntz
03-02-06, 09:46 AM
So you think that Sirius creating a channel dedicated to ambient mood music and calling it "Chill" is any more creative?

Neither channel devotes a lot of energy to the names of their stations - just the content.
You will argue about anything won't you. I never proclaimed Sirius to be "creative" for applying the "Chill" name to their ambient channel. I criticized XM for using the exact same name for their channel. You can debate the creativity of the name "Chill" (I'm not inclined to have that debate but knock yourself out). However, I don't see how you can deny that XM showed a complete lack of creativity by using the exact same name for their channel that features the exact same genre of music. It's copying. That's not creative.

Let me just say that this could be the lamest subject ever debated on NYYfans.com.

BronxByTheBay
03-02-06, 09:47 AM
I'm angry that 175 isn't even on XM Online.

Yeah, that is weird, isn't it? I understand not streaming the games - probably some kind of blackout issue with MLB audio, but why not the talk channel? Maybe that's something they'll address in the future.

BronxByTheBay
03-02-06, 09:50 AM
You will argue about anything won't you.

I don't recall arguing over anything. I recall you bringing the subject up in the first place and myself and Rhody offering a different opinion. You're gonna wrench your knee out of place what with all the violent jerking it does.

I never proclaimed Sirius to be "creative" for applying the "Chill" name to their ambient channel. I criticized XM for using the exact same name for their channel. You can debate the creativity of the name "Chill" (I'm not inclined to have that debate but knock yourself out). However, I don't see how you can deny that XM showed a complete lack of creativity by using the exact same name for their channel that features the exact same genre of music. It's copying. That's not creative.

Let me just say that this could be the lamest subject ever debated on NYYfans.com.

Going forward, why don't you include a little advisory with your posts letting us know which opinions we're allowed to comment on and which ones we're not.

RhodyYanksFan
03-02-06, 09:59 AM
Going forward, why don't you include a little advisory with your posts letting us know which opinions we're allowed to comment on and which ones we're not.

yankeebot
03-02-06, 10:00 AM
Let me just say that this could be the lamest subject ever debated on NYYfans.com.:lol: Not even close, my friend. Not even close.

NelsonMuntz
03-02-06, 10:08 AM
I don't recall arguing over anything. I recall you bringing the subject up in the first place and myself and Rhody offering a different opinion. You're gonna wrench your knee out of place what with all the violent jerking it does.
Replace "argue" with "debate". Better? And the issue Rhody was debating was legitimate given that he thought I was criticizing the channel concept rather than the stealing of the channel name.

Probably just easier to ignore you. ;)

yankeesAZ
03-02-06, 11:07 AM

Not this fan. I tried listening to it, but he's not funny. Go over to Stern Fan Network and many fans attack Bubba, to the point Howard and Bubba complain about the attacks on the air.

NelsonMuntz
03-02-06, 11:15 AM
Not this fan. I tried listening to it, but he's not funny. Go over to Stern Fan Network and many fans attack Bubba, to the point Howard and Bubba complain about the attacks on the air.
Agreed. Most of the feedback that I've been hearing from Stern fans on Bubba has been very negative, including fans who are calling into Howard's show. So far the only thing about Bubba that I've found funny is his ongoing feud with Ronnie the Limo driver. But I don't find Bubba's show funny at all.

KLJ
03-02-06, 11:18 AM
bubba's show is horrible.. regardless of what stern says, i don't see the fat sponge being on the air for the entire 2 year contract..

BronxByTheBay
03-02-06, 12:20 PM
Replace "argue" with "debate". Better? And the issue Rhody was debating was legitimate given that he thought I was criticizing the channel concept rather than the stealing of the channel name.

And the concept has been done to death on "free" radio, which was my point and dovetailed with my ultimate point: neither channel is breaking the mold as far as creativity goes.

Probably just easier to ignore you. ;)

Makes sense. Why should you treat me any differently than you do logic or reason? :D

NelsonMuntz
03-02-06, 12:46 PM
Makes sense. Why should you treat me any differently than you do logic or reason? :D
Snap. ;)

YankeePride1967
03-02-06, 03:58 PM

XM has stations called the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's and called it that. Sirius did after XM did. I can't believe Sirius lack of creativity.

NelsonMuntz
03-02-06, 04:29 PM
XM has stations called the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's and called it that. Sirius did after XM did. I can't believe Sirius lack of creativity.
This is not accurate. For example, the Sirius "90's" channel is called "The Pulse", not "The 90's", and the Sirius "50's" channel is called "Sirius Gold" not "50's".

Once again, my gripe with XM was that they ripped off the channel name, not the format.

RhodyYanksFan
03-02-06, 04:32 PM
This is not accurate. For example, the Sirius "90's" channel is called "The Pulse", not "The 90's", and the Sirius "50's" channel is called "Sirius Gold" not "50's".

Once again, my gripe with XM was that they ripped off the channel name, not the format.

Then what about the 80's, 70's, 60's and 40's? Sirius clearly ripped XM off on those ;)

BronxByTheBay
03-02-06, 04:41 PM
Then what about the 80's, 70's, 60's and 40's? Sirius clearly ripped XM off on those ;)

All of their creativity was spent coming up with the name "Chill".

NelsonMuntz
03-02-06, 04:50 PM
You XM guys are killing me:

Sirius 60's channel = 60's Vibrations
XM 60's channel = The 60's

Sirius 70's channel = Totally 70's
XM 70's channel = The 70's

Sirius 80's channel = Big 80's
XM 80's channel = The 80's

Sirius doesn't have a "40's" channel per se, but they do have a channel called "Standard Time" that plays music from that era.

All I'm saying is that XM could have at least shown an ounce of creativity and modified the name of their "chill" channel slightly so that it was not exactly the same as the Sirius show with the same music content. How hard would it have been to call the channel "Chill Out".

Let me try to explain this another way -- one could argue that Grey's Anatomy is a ripoff of the NBC show Scrubs. They're both light-hearted narrarated shows about young doctors in a hospital. There are definitely similarities, but I'm sure Grey's Anatomy fans and ABC execs would argue that there's nothing wrong with ABC creating a show similar and perhaps better than one that is already on NBC. It happens all the time. However, what if ABC also decided to call their hospital show "Scrubs" instead of "Grey's Anatomy". Wouldn't that be a tad lame and uncreative on the part of ABC?

RhodyYanksFan
03-02-06, 05:03 PM
Let me try to explain this another way -- one could argue that Grey's Anatomy is a ripoff of the NBC show Scrubs. They're both light-hearted narrarated shows about young doctors in a hospital. There are definitely similarities, but I'm sure Grey's Anatomy fans and ABC execs would argue that there's nothing wrong with ABC creating a show similar and perhaps better than one that is already on NBC. It happens all the time. However, what if ABC also decided to call their hospital show "Scrubs" instead of "Grey's Anatomy". Wouldn't that be a tad lame and uncreative on the part of ABC?

Sirius should have trademarked the name like I'm sure NBC did with Scrubs. ;)

Besides...Grey's Anatomy is an hour and Scrubs is only 30 min.

Sorry...I really don't care, but I'm stuck at work until the snow dies down so I'm really bored.

NelsonMuntz
03-02-06, 05:16 PM
Sirius should have trademarked the name like I'm sure NBC did with Scrubs. ;)

Sorry...I really don't care, but I'm stuck at work until the snow dies down so I'm really bored.
It's snowing up there? Holy crap. It's in the 50's in DC.

BronxByTheBay
03-02-06, 05:18 PM

Gee, I sure hope Sirius trademarked those very unique and completey different-sounding channels. If you're going to make the argument that XM "stole" a name and Sirius doesn't do that, using "Big 80's" vs. "80's" isn't exactly aiding that argument.

Not to mention one is a sitcom, and the other is a drama/soap opera. But hey, other than the title they're completely comparable shows. I can't tell one from the other. Don't both shows feature male leads with dark hair?

YankeePride1967
03-02-06, 05:46 PM

What is more "creative" what the station plays or the name of it? I could honestly care less other than the fact the song I like is playing on it. Call the station Sam, Best of the 80's, Jack Attack or Idiot, if the song is good, that's the "creative" part of it. Sort of like taking a book, putting a different cover on it and saying it's a new book.

YankeePride1967
03-02-06, 05:50 PM

Sirius doesn't have a "40's" channel per se, but they do have a channel called "Standard Time" that plays music from that era.

All I'm saying is that XM could have at least shown an ounce of creativity and modified the name of their "chill" channel slightly so that it was not exactly the same as the Sirius show with the same music content. How hard would it have been to call the channel "Chill Out".

Well it's you Sirius guys that are killing us XM guys by making a big deal about the name of the station. I don't think of the name of the stations, I just know when I turn on channel 46 (does Sirius have a channel 46 too?) I am likely to hear classic rock which I love. So then any song played on XM should not be played on Sirius and vice versa. American Pie is played by XM, then Sirius should be more creative and not play American Pie too. That's what matters, what's ON the stations, not the title of it. I said XM has stations after the decades, I do not know if they are actually called that. Doesn't matter, I know what songs are on each station.

NelsonMuntz
03-02-06, 06:43 PM
Okay, let's try this one more way. ABC is the parent company of ESPN. Imagine if CBS started an all sports channel and called it ESPN as well. Would you admit that CBS showed a lack of creativity with the name?

I have nothing against XM as a company. If Stern had gone there I'd be an XM subscriber right now. I just think it was lame of them to name their channel "Chill" when Sirius already had a channel of the same music genre with that name.

NelsonMuntz
03-02-06, 06:56 PM
Not to mention one is a sitcom, and the other is a drama/soap opera. But hey, other than the title they're completely comparable shows. I can't tell one from the other. Don't both shows feature male leads with dark hair?
Yes, clearly the entire point of my post was to illustrate that Grey's Anatomy ripped off Scrubs. Keep reading junior.

YankeePride1967
03-02-06, 07:12 PM
Okay, let's try this one more way. ABC is the parent company of ESPN. Imagine if CBS started an all sports channel and called it ESPN as well. Would you admit that CBS showed a lack of creativity with the name?

I have nothing against XM as a company. If Stern had gone there I'd be an XM subscriber right now. I just think it was lame of them to name their channel "Chill" when Sirius already had a channel of the same music genre with that name.

Hey if it's that big a deal to you fine, I could care less what the name of the station is. The creativity to me is the music they play, the name is so meaningless it isn't even worth debating further. Creativity in relation to the title of the station vs. the CONTENT of the station is about as significant as if Donald Trump and Bill Gates went to a diner for dinner and were debating who will leave the tip.

BronxByTheBay
03-02-06, 07:27 PM
Yes, clearly the entire point of my post was to illustrate that Grey's Anatomy ripped off Scrubs. Keep reading junior.

No, that wasn't your point, nor did I claim it was. It was an attempt at an analogy to help make your point and you failed spectacularly on both counts. You're utterly lost, aren't you?

BronxByTheBay
03-02-06, 07:32 PM
Hey if it's that big a deal to you fine, I could care less what the name of the station is. The creativity to me is the music they play, the name is so meaningless it isn't even worth debating further. Creativity in relation to the title of the station vs. the CONTENT of the station is about as significant as if Donald Trump and Bill Gates went to a diner for dinner and were debating who will leave the tip.

You happen to be right, GR. What you're seeing here is a typical case of a Stern fanatic aping the antics of his fav radio DJ - "Everyone stole from me...I invented this...I originated that..blah blah blah". I bet if you looked into the names used around the country by different stations, "chill" would come up over and over again. The idea that Sirius originated it is mind-numbingly stupid.

NelsonMuntz
03-02-06, 07:49 PM
The more I think about it, I'm actually being too easy on XM. The "Chill" channel concept was actually pretty creative on the part of Sirius. The musical styles featured on this channel are very eclectic, and not easily defined by any single genre (e.g., 80's, techno, etc). It was an original idea by Siris. XM not only copied the concept, but also the name.

BronxByTheBay
03-02-06, 08:04 PM
The more I think about it, I'm actually being too easy on XM. The "Chill" channel concept was actually pretty creative on the part of Sirius. The musical styles featured on this channel are very eclectic, and not easily defined by any single genre (e.g., 80's, techno, etc). It was an original idea by Siris. XM not only copied the concept, but also the name.

http://www.helpmechill.com/wedo.htm

http://www.krcb.org/radio/hosts/chill_room.htm

http://blu1029.com/

http://www.tastycast.com/tastycast.php

http://iacmusic.com/station.aspx?StationID=1038

http://overxposure.fm/

http://www.wnjl.com/

http://www.calmscape.com/

http://www.djmitch.it/

http://www.mountainchill.com/

http://www.live365.com/stations/mdumond

Utterly lost.

As I was saying...

You happen to be right, GR. What you're seeing here is a typical case of a Stern fanatic aping the antics of his fav radio DJ - "Everyone stole from me...I invented this...I originated that..blah blah blah". I bet if you looked into the names used around the country by different stations, "chill" would come up over and over again. The idea that Sirius originated it is mind-numbingly stupid.

RhodyYanksFan
03-02-06, 08:30 PM
Man...I like it when we are on the same side :lol:

Nelson, did Sirius start up Zero 7, Thievery Corporation, Goove Armada and the likes? I think those bands were around before Sirius "invented" Chill music.

yankeesAZ
03-02-06, 08:52 PM
Gone all day and we're still on the "chill" subject? Personally, I don't care what each company calls it. Just as long as we keep having two competive companies and keep our subscription prices in check.

RSoxHater
03-02-06, 10:53 PM

I like the whole Lucy, Fred and Ethel stuff. The promos for Lucy are pretty good too.

BronxByTheBay
03-02-06, 11:51 PM
I like the whole Lucy, Fred and Ethel stuff. The promos for Lucy are pretty good too.

What's funny is I didn't even connect the dots with Lucy, Fred, and Ethel at first. I was too busy trying to figure out which station I'd leave on in the car most of the time. And yes - the Lucy promos are pretty cool. They're even funnier when you read the tagline on the screen.

NYDCYankee
03-03-06, 01:53 AM

I agree with you 100%. I think these XMers are just trying to bait you.

YankeePride1967
03-03-06, 08:24 AM

so then along these lines then, Sirius should not play any decades themed music as XM created it. If XM plays "Born to Run" by Springsteen. Sirius shouldn't steal it from them. Hoo Hoo, tell em Fred. Hey Robin, everyone steals from me! While you are at it, compare the rest of the extremely creative XM lineup (you know the company with 6 million subscribers?)

YankeePride1967
03-03-06, 08:27 AM
Gone all day and we're still on the "chill" subject? Personally, I don't care what each company calls it. Just as long as we keep having two competive companies and keep our subscription prices in check.

Exactly. If people are going to lose sleep over the title of a station, then I guess the content isn't a big deal at all.

NelsonMuntz
03-03-06, 08:34 AM
so then along these lines then, Sirius should not play any decades themed music as XM created it. If XM plays "Born to Run" by Springsteen. Sirius shouldn't steal it from them. Hoo Hoo, tell em Fred. Hey Robin, everyone steals from me! While you are at it, compare the rest of the extremely creative XM lineup (you know the company with 6 million subscribers?)
I give up. Clearly XM had all of their creative juices flowing when they decided to create a channel identical to one already on Sirius and then give it the exact same name. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to work on the new Yankees Fan Forum that I'm creating. It's called NYYFans.org -- New York Yankees Coverage with a Bronx Bias.

YClipper5
03-03-06, 08:49 AM
What's funny is I didn't even connect the dots with Lucy, Fred, and Ethel at first. I was too busy trying to figure out which station I'd leave on in the car most of the time. And yes - the Lucy promos are pretty cool. They're even funnier when you read the tagline on the screen.
Anyone ever wonder why there's no "Ricky" station?

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
03-03-06, 08:55 AM

The only thing funnier than the defensive Stern fan is the offensive "I hate Stern" person who has nothing better to do then spend their time and enery insulting him and those who like him. They are a bigger part of his success than those who like him.

BronxByTheBay
03-03-06, 09:13 AM
The only thing funnier than the defensive Stern fan is the offensive "I hate Stern" person who has nothing better to do then spend their time and enery insulting him and those who like him. They are a bigger part of his success than those who like him.

Except I don't hate Stern. Listened to him for years and I'm looking forward to adding a Sirius radio to my office (in fact, I already attempted once but was so disappointed with the equipment I sent it back). The friend I referenced a few posts ago who's a huge Stern fan? I spend all night in line with him for a book signing once. It was a blast (I'd never do it again, but it was worth it the one time).

Thankfully, however, I'm not a rabid drone. In fact, why does it seem that the only folks who turn these discussions into an XM vs. Sirius argument are the Stern fans?

BronxByTheBay
03-03-06, 09:14 AM
I give up. Clearly XM had all of their creative juices flowing when they decided to create a channel identical to one already on Sirius and then give it the exact same name. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to work on the new Yankees Fan Forum that I'm creating. It's called NYYFans.org -- New York Yankees Coverage with a Bronx Bias.

The most honest part of this statement was the first sentence. Although you would have scored more in the credibility department if you had acknowledged you were wrong about Sirius inventing the "Chill" format. Oh well.

NelsonMuntz
03-03-06, 09:33 AM
The most honest part of this statement was the first sentence. Although you would have scored more in the credibility department if you had acknowledged you were wrong about Sirius inventing the "Chill" format. Oh well.
Acknowledged. And my point from the beginning was never to put Sirius on a pedestal as the more creative company. I was merely commenting on XM's lack of creativity on this particular channel. You can search back through my previous posts on the subject of satellite radio and you will find that on many occasions I have given XM credit for being more sophisticated than Sirius in the hardware department. I have also said on more than one occasion that you can't go wrong with either service. I've got nothing against XM. In fact, as a DC-based company I want them to succeed. But I do find it odd that some of their subscribers (not necessarily you) take it so personally whenever anyone throws even an ounce of criticism their way.

BronxByTheBay
03-03-06, 09:42 AM
Acknowledged. And my point from the beginning was never to put Sirius on a pedestal as the more creative company. I was merely commenting on XM's lack of creativity on this particular channel. You can search back through my previous posts on the subject of satellite radio and you will find that on many occasions I have given XM credit for being more sophisticated than Sirius in the hardware department. I have also said on more than one occasion that you can't go wrong with either service. I've got nothing against XM. In fact, as a DC-based company I want them to succeed. But I do find it odd that some of their subscribers (not necessarily you) take it so personally whenever anyone throws even an ounce of criticism their way.

I get that, but my whole point was that the criticism in this case isn't warrented, or at least no more so than that of Sirius. Sirius flat out copied verbatim the name and format from other stations. So yeah, basically beat XM to the punch of "stealing" the idea first. So both companies could be called creatively bankrupt, but then again all they ever really promised was the stuff we listened to on "free" radio minus the commercials and with more choices. They never said they were reinventing the wheel.

And I agree with you - I find any "us vs. them" sentiment odd regarding these two. As AZ pointed out, we want both to survive so that they don't become an audio version of cable companies that charge the hell out of us. Their service at $12 a month is awesome. At $20 or more, not so much.

RhodyYanksFan
03-03-06, 09:54 AM
And I agree with you - I find any "us vs. them" sentiment odd regarding these two. As AZ pointed out, we want both to survive so that they don't become an audio version of cable companies that charge the hell out of us. Their service at $12 a month is awesome. At $20 or more, not so much.

That's something we can all agree on. Taking a step back...after actually listening to XM Chill - I love it. It's great background music at work. I can't listen to Squizz/Ethel all day without losing my concentration and/or offending people around me.

Usually I keep it on Real Jazz, but I'm gonna keep Chill on now. Great addition to the lineup.

YankeePride1967
03-03-06, 09:56 AM

You can call it whatever you want, the title is irrelevent. I listen to a station for the music on it, you obviously turn it on because the title of the station is creative.

NelsonMuntz
03-03-06, 10:21 AM
You can call it whatever you want, the title is irrelevent. I listen to a station for the music on it, you obviously turn it on because the title of the station is creative.
lol, okay. I never said that the title would influence my propensity to listen to a particular station but if that's what you want to take out of this debate, godspeed.

YankeePride1967
03-03-06, 11:24 AM
lol, okay. I never said that the title would influence my propensity to listen to a particular station but if that's what you want to take out of this debate, godspeed.

you are the one making a big deal out of the title. The only in in here in fact so the inference is pretty reasonable.

NYDCYankee
03-03-06, 11:37 AM

Seriously, I didn't really that there were so many Les Moonves's on this website. :P

NYDCYankee
03-03-06, 11:38 AM
...or is it just that Les Moonves syndrome is spreading throughout America.

RhodyYanksFan
03-13-06, 09:59 PM
I'm not sure if it's gonna be an April Fools joke or not, but word on the street is that David Lee Roth is out and CBS is trying to figure out how to simulcast Opie & Anthony in his timeslot. It would have to be either on an hour delay or horribly edited to be broadcast on terrestrial radio.

I can't see it happening. Why would CBS, who is suing HS for essentially giving out free commercials for Sirius, allow XMs premier talk jocks on their airwaves just so they can remind everyone that to get the "real" show, sign up for XM?

But hey, if they want to do it, it's fine with me. More exposure for satellite, XM and O&A is a good thing.

yankeesAZ
03-13-06, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure if it's gonna be an April Fools joke or not, but word on the street is that David Lee Roth is out and CBS is trying to figure out how to simulcast Opie & Anthony in his timeslot. It would have to be either on an hour delay or horribly edited to be broadcast on terrestrial radio.

I can't see it happening. Why would CBS, who is suing HS for essentially giving out free commercials for Sirius, allow XMs premier talk jocks on their airwaves just so they can remind everyone that to get the "real" show, sign up for XM?

But hey, if they want to do it, it's fine with me. More exposure for satellite, XM and O&A is a good thing.

That sounds crazy, but Moonves is so ticked at Stern, he may do it, just to promote XM.

yankeebot
03-14-06, 05:26 AM
So I am car shopping and it really is a bummer that the manufacturers seem to have exclusive deals with one or the other. I mean, why is Jeep Sirius exclusive but Chryslar is XM? Why do I have to get an after-market radio to get the satellite that I want? Stupid car manufacturers.

BronxByTheBay
03-18-06, 07:44 PM
Ooookay, Siriusers. Here's the deal - my car was broken into last week and some mutt got away with our XM unit. We have to replace the whole thing SOOO, I was thinking of maybe switching to Sirius for Stern. My only hesitation is the music content. I've been exposed to both, but Sirius was very limited. I recall them having pretty much the same stations. However, would you Sirius guys say that their rock selection (80's/alternative/industrial/etc) is a strong point for the subscription?

JDPNYY
03-18-06, 07:47 PM
Ooookay, Siriusers. Here's the deal - my car was broken into last week and some mutt got away with our XM unit. We have to replace the whole thing SOOO, I was thinking of maybe switching to Sirius for Stern. My only hesitation is the music content. I've been exposed to both, but Sirius was very limited. I recall them having pretty much the same stations. However, would you Sirius guys say that their rock selection (80's/alternative/industrial/etc) is a strong point for the subscription?

The whole rock spectrum on Sirius is great. I love it. Also, as for Stern, they replay his show all day now (during the week). I get to hear part of the show on the way to work and more of it on the way home. It's too good to be true, seriously.

BronxByTheBay
03-18-06, 07:51 PM
The whole rock spectrum on Sirius is great. I love it. Also, as for Stern, they replay his show all day now (during the week). I get to hear part of the show on the way to work and more of it on the way home. It's too good to be true, seriously.

Yeah, when I say "limited" in my previous post, I meant my exposure to Sirius, not their lineup. I was just perusing their website and it actually looks like they have more rock channels than XM.

My friend told me about the Stern programming and that's one of the draws for me - being able to listen to the show anytime. My friend also mentioned that Stern stated on his show that they will begin streaming it online for subscribers within the year. Did you hear the same?

JDPNYY
03-18-06, 07:55 PM
Yeah, when I say "limited" in my previous post, I meant my exposure to Sirius, not their lineup. I was just perusing their website and it actually looks like they have more rock channels than XM.

My friend told me about the Stern programming and that's one of the draws for me - being able to listen to the show anytime. My friend also mentioned that Stern stated on his show that they will begin streaming it online for subscribers within the year. Did you hear the same?

The last thing I heard was that they were working on it. Stern didn't want it rolled out until they were sure it could handle the volume of users that will likely be logging on. It sounded like it would be well within the year.

I have the Starmate Replay and the thing is awesome (not portable - the only drawback).

JDPNYY
03-18-06, 07:56 PM
I haven't turned on a regular radio since the beginning of the year when I subscribed. Terrestrial Radio is obsolete for me.

yankeesAZ
03-18-06, 08:04 PM

You can get a free 3-day trial and check out the music that way. I'd say its a pretty good selection of music in those categories.

As you mentioned, they finally changed up Howard's stations to replay the show very often. Howard 100 News was way too repetitive. It's cool to hear the show at different times as in the morning I may be running around and not paying full attention to the show or catch something I missed later.

I have the Starmate Replay as well and move it back and forth between home and my car.

BronxByTheBay
03-18-06, 09:09 PM
Guys, is the starmate a faceplate that acts as the front of your radio in your car or is it a seperate unit that sits on the dash? Due to the break-in, we're definately getting a unit that is installed as the radio rather than one that sits on the dash. Less obvious that way.

yankeesAZ
03-18-06, 09:22 PM
Guys, is the starmate a faceplate that acts as the front of your radio in your car or is it a seperate unit that sits on the dash? Due to the break-in, we're definately getting a unit that is installed as the radio rather than one that sits on the dash. Less obvious that way.

Sits on the dash. This unit would not really be for you.

I really like to listen at home and in the car. I always take the receiver out of the car with me or at least put it in the trunk. I see cars all the time with radios left in the dash, but I'm uneasy leaving it out there like that.

BronxByTheBay
03-18-06, 09:48 PM
Sits on the dash. This unit would not really be for you.

I really like to listen at home and in the car. I always take the receiver out of the car with me or at least put it in the trunk. I see cars all the time with radios left in the dash, but I'm uneasy leaving it out there like that.

We found out the hard way why it's not a good idea. What's even more annoying is that normally we take it in with us. It's always the ONE time that gets ya.

yankeesAZ
03-18-06, 11:35 PM
We found out the hard way why it's not a good idea. What's even more annoying is that normally we take it in with us. It's always the ONE time that gets ya.

It sucks to unhook it all the time, but its 10 seconds well spent I guess.

I even stick the magnetic antenna inside the trunk as an extra precaution.

NelsonMuntz
03-19-06, 10:26 AM
I love the music channels on Sirius, especially the Alt 80's channel (First Wave) and the Indie Rock channel (Left of Center). There is also "Alt Nation" which is more mainstream "alternative" rock. As much as I like Stern, at this point I would probably stick with Sirius even if Stern ever left simply because I've grown so attached to First Wave and Left of Center. Like yankeesAZ said, you can get at 3-day pass to listen to the music online for free if you want to get a sample of the music they play. I usually listen to Left of Center online every day at work.

BronxByTheBay
03-19-06, 11:07 AM
I love the music channels on Sirius, especially the Alt 80's channel (First Wave) and the Indie Rock channel (Left of Center). There is also "Alt Nation" which is more mainstream "alternative" rock. As much as I like Stern, at this point I would probably stick with Sirius even if Stern ever left simply because I've grown so attached to First Wave and Left of Center. Like yankeesAZ said, you can get at 3-day pass to listen to the music online for free if you want to get a sample of the music they play. I usually listen to Left of Center online every day at work.

I got the subscription. Playing around with it now, looking for channels that my wife likes to listen to. So far the only downside, unless I'm missing something, is that there doesn't seem to be any folk channels or a movie soundtrack channel (one of the cooler offerings of XM).

whiffleball
03-19-06, 11:23 AM
there doesn't seem to be any folk channels or a movie soundtrack channel (one of the cooler offerings of XM).

With Sirius all you get is FM type music without the commercials.

BronxByTheBay
03-19-06, 11:48 AM

It kinda sounds like that, which is fine. So far I don't notice a huge difference content-wise. However, I notice that Sirius has more rock channels. This doesn't mean they play more, just that they've sub-divided their catagories, which is nice. Although the no folk station may be a deal-breaker for the wife. :eek:

NelsonMuntz
03-19-06, 12:12 PM
Wow, please tell me what FM radio you have because I'll cancel my Sirus subscription the day I hear The Smiths, Interpol, The Stone Roses, Death Cab for Cutie, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Bloc Party, Nightmare of You, The Pixies, Carl Cox, Deep Dish and Thievery Corporation on any given day on any combination of FM channels.

NelsonMuntz
03-19-06, 12:25 PM
I got the subscription. Playing around with it now, looking for channels that my wife likes to listen to. So far the only downside, unless I'm missing something, is that there doesn't seem to be any folk channels or a movie soundtrack channel (one of the cooler offerings of XM).
I think the closest Sirius has to a folk channel is The Coffee House channel (channel 30).

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
03-19-06, 12:32 PM
I think the closest Sirius has to a folk channel is The Coffee House channel (channel 30).

Sirius had a Folk channel for years, they just took it off the air in the last 6 months at the most.

NelsonMuntz
03-19-06, 01:17 PM
Sirius had a Folk channel for years, they just took it off the air in the last 6 months at the most.
Okay. I thought they had a folk channel at one point. I remember earlier in the year they reshuffled the channels a bit and they added a few and subtracted a few. I guess the folk channel was a casualty of the shuffling.

NYDCYankee
03-20-06, 01:29 AM
I listen to the Coffee House often. It is a cool easy thing to listen to while the girlfriend is in the car with me. At times they can play a couple things I don't really care for too often (Tracey Chapman, Shawn Colvin, Norah Jones).

But they also play alot of cool acoustic stuff like Bright Eyes, Damien Rice and REM. They also play alot of intresting live acoustic sets.

NYDCYankee
03-20-06, 01:30 AM

Huh? What?

NYDCYankee
03-20-06, 01:32 AM
I love the music channels on Sirius, especially the Alt 80's channel (First Wave) and the Indie Rock channel (Left of Center). There is also "Alt Nation" which is more mainstream "alternative" rock. As much as I like Stern, at this point I would probably stick with Sirius even if Stern ever left simply because I've grown so attached to First Wave and Left of Center.

Agreed. Also Iceberg is very similar to Left of Center, I haven't listened to Iceberg that often but they seem to be playing a lot of the same stuff. I usually stick with LOC on my dial sometimes even WHEN Howard is on. It's that good.

whiffleball
03-20-06, 06:41 AM
Huh? What?

Sirius is "FM like" for 2 reasons. First, the DJs. They talk over the songs just like terrestrial radio DJs. I can't stand when some self important ass talks over the end of a song that I'm paying for.

Second, their playlist are limited. Due to home renovations that I have been doing for a couple of years, I have had the opportunity to listen to both Sirius and XM for hours upon hours. I would hear repeats on Sirius within a couple of hours. XM has a much deeper playlist. But I will say XM doesn't play a lot of the hits.

Let me just say that I could care less if either or both companies blew up tomorrow. I owe either of them nothing. But since I had both for 6 months, I just found that I started listening to XM more often and it seems like the better value.

Just my opinion.

NYDCYankee
03-20-06, 07:05 AM
Sirius is "FM like" for 2 reasons. First, the DJs. They talk over the songs just like terrestrial radio DJs. I can't stand when some self important ass talks over the end of a song that I'm paying for.

Second, their playlist are limited. Due to home renovations that I have been doing for a couple of years, I have had the opportunity to listen to both Sirius and XM for hours upon hours. I would hear repeats on Sirius within a couple of hours. XM has a much deeper playlist. But I will say XM doesn't play a lot of the hits.

Let me just say that I could care less if either or both companies blew up tomorrow. I owe either of them nothing. But since I had both for 6 months, I just found that I started listening to XM more often and it seems like the better value.

Just my opinion.

I have never once heard a DJ talk over a song on Sirius. Now that could happen on the pop stations on Sirius but I don't listen to them so I wouldn't know. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to give some of the pop stations an FM sound like Z100 or something, it would just be Z100 without commercials.

KLJ
03-20-06, 08:19 AM
i agree that sirius plays more of the popular music.. that's part of the reason i chose them over xm.. i'm old and set in my ways.. i can't stand when i listen to 5 songs in a row that i have never heard before.. i'm what you would call a hard core sellout as a listener.. :D

RhodyYanksFan
03-20-06, 09:07 AM
i agree that sirius plays more of the popular music.. that's part of the reason i chose them over xm.. i'm old and set in my ways.. i can't stand when i listen to 5 songs in a row that i have never heard before.. i'm what you would call a hard core sellout as a listener.. :D

When I first got XM in the summer of 2004, the music channels weren't that great. It was all that "too cool for the room" stuff. They've gotten better overall, but some channels are still too deep. Boneyard is a great format but it's like 70/30 deep tracks to hits. When a large portion of the bands you play (hair bands/80's rock) only had 1 hit, don't play 3 other songs for every time you play their hit.

Having said that, I love XM and wouldn't get rid of it for anything.

NelsonMuntz
03-20-06, 09:10 AM
I have never once heard a DJ talk over a song on Sirius. Now that could happen on the pop stations on Sirius but I don't listen to them so I wouldn't know. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to give some of the pop stations an FM sound like Z100 or something, it would just be Z100 without commercials.
Nor have I (ever heard a DJ talk over a song on Sirius). In fact, the trance station (Area 63) doesn't even have a DJ, and I'd estimate that the LOC and 1st Wave DJ's talk for a grand total of 30 seconds every hour, and it's usually to give a little factoid on one of the artists or tour dates (as opposed to the typical FM DJ prattle about "those clowns in congress").

As far as the repetition on Sirius vs. XM, a friend of mine has XM at work and Sirius at home, and he said he finds XM to be more repetitive and they play more top 40ish music vs. Sirius who seem to have a deeper playlist. I'm sure it's all a matter of opinion. As I've said multiple times, you cannot go wrong with either service.

ruthianblast
03-20-06, 09:21 AM
Nor have I (ever heard a DJ talk over a song on Sirius). In fact, the trance station (Area 63) doesn't even have a DJ, and I'd estimate that the LOC and 1st Wave DJ's talk for a grand total of 30 seconds every hour, and it's usually to give a little factoid on one of the artists or tour dates (as opposed to the typical FM DJ prattle about "those clowns in congress").

As far as the repetition on Sirius vs. XM, a friend of mine has XM at work and Sirius at home, and he said he finds XM to be more repetitive and they play more top 40ish music vs. Sirius who seem to have a deeper playlist. I'm sure it's all a matter of opinion. As I've said multiple times, you cannot go wrong with either service.

I agree, both companies have stations with deep playlists and other stations that get repetitive. I have XM for O&A, MLB, and NHL, not the music, not the commercials, nothing supercedes those 3 things. I could care less if XM completely got rid of every music station, every other news station, every other talk personality, as long as I can listen to Cal Ripken, Buck Martinez, the Yankees, the Blue Jays and the Maple Leafs in addition to the hilarity of O&A, I'm good.

NYDCYankee
03-21-06, 03:53 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/21/business/media/21sirius.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

RhodyYanksFan
03-21-06, 08:42 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/21/business/media/21sirius.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

From the article:

The recording industry argued that such digital radio devices could threaten online music sales because users are permitted to keep CD-quality songs without paying for them.

I don't understand this. XM has had a portable unit for over a year that lets your record 5 hours of programming. It is also able to pick up the live XM feed, unlike the S50. I don't know if that makes the difference here or not though. Regardless, the recording industry is just further proving how out of touch they really are with this. If I want a song, there are so many other ways to go about getting it then buying Sirius, waiting for it to come on, then transferring it to my hard drive and maybe sharing it.

It all comes down to the same point that's been argued here over and over. If the recording industry had shown any sort of interest in downloading 6 years ago it wouldn't be the big deal it is now. By raising prices, promoting crap, corporate music, and starting frivoulous lawsuits they have further alienated their market.

BronxByTheBay
03-21-06, 09:02 AM
From the article:

I don't understand this. XM has had a portable unit for over a year that lets your record 5 hours of programming. It is also able to pick up the live XM feed, unlike the S50. I don't know if that makes the difference here or not though. Regardless, the recording industry is just further proving how out of touch they really are with this. If I want a song, there are so many other ways to go about getting it then buying Sirius, waiting for it to come on, then transferring it to my hard drive and maybe sharing it.

It all comes down to the same point that's been argued here over and over. If the recording industry had shown any sort of interest in downloading 6 years ago it wouldn't be the big deal it is now. By raising prices, promoting crap, corporate music, and starting frivoulous lawsuits they have further alienated their market.

I think 50 hours of programming is a bit much. The music industry is out of touch, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't get paid for use of their products.

RhodyYanksFan
03-21-06, 09:35 AM
I think 50 hours of programming is a bit much. The music industry is out of touch, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't get paid for use of their products.

You're right, but it said the companies already pay royalties to the record companies to broadcast their songs. I agree though, 50 hours is too much. Just make a portable radio that is truely portable and you won't need to have a 50 hour HD in there.

BronxByTheBay
03-21-06, 09:49 AM
You're right, but it said the companies already pay royalties to the record companies to broadcast their songs. I agree though, 50 hours is too much. Just make a portable radio that is truely portable and you won't need to have a 50 hour HD in there.

Yeah...crappy friggin' Sirius. ;)

(Just kidding, you Sirius people.)

NelsonMuntz
03-21-06, 09:55 AM
:clap: Yep, you nailed it.

I'll give you another example of how the music industry's approach to online music is ass backwards. I don't have an iPod (I have a Creative Zen mp3 player) and I do not like iTunes so I've been using MusicMatch to buy digital music. But their selection is sometimes spotty, so I started buying songs using Yahoo Music. I went to burn a CD using a combination of songs purchased from MusicMatch and Yahoo, and apparently this cannot be done. No matter what burner program I try to use, I cannot mix the songs purchased from different stores. I can only burn the songs from Yahoo using the Yahoo Music Engine, and I can only burn the songs purchased from MusicMatch using the MusicMatch burner. To me, this is absurd. I just want to make a mix of songs that I paid for, but because of licensing restrictions (that I'm assuming are in place due to pressure from the music industry), I cannot do this. So essentially I'm penalized for trying to do the right thing by paying for the songs. And they wonder why kids steal music.

JeanC
03-21-06, 11:50 PM
We have a Sirius Car/Home Unit & we get it on the internet. Then this year Directv went to XM for their Music Channels so I hear both. Ive talked Hubby into getting XM for the Car for the Yankee Games for when we are on the road & keeping Sirius for the programs we like listening too. Thank Goodness Sirius brought back Fox News. We also like the Stone & Buffett Channels on Sirius. The Bridge, Garage & Pulse Channels arent bad either.

LloydBanks
03-25-06, 02:25 AM
If your into hip hop then Shade 45 is worth the price of tha Sirus radio alone. I get Shade 45 with G-Unit radio on Saturdays, Howard Stern, I pick up tha lakers games. I couldn't live witout Sirius

NYDCYankee
03-27-06, 12:16 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/money/20060327/track27.art.htm

Now, in a marketing battle reaching new heights — literally — XM Satellite Radio, the leader, tries to stave off the challenge from No. 2 Sirius Satellite Radio.

“We have a competitor, and they're aggressive,” says Gary Hahn, XM's senior vice president of advertising and brand management.

They've each signed high-profile talent. Shock-jock Howard Stern went live on Sirius in January. XM recently made a deal with Oprah Winfrey for programming to begin in September.

The rivals also have upped their ad spending significantly. Last year, the two spent $61 million, up 256% since 2001, according to ad tracker TNS Media Intelligence.

The payoff: Sirius grew its subscriber base by 2.1 million in 2005, with 1.1 million net additions coming in the fourth quarter. XM, meantime, grew by 2.7 million in 2005, adding 898,315 net subscribers in the fourth quarter.

Stern's impending arrival helped drive the late surge for Sirius, which ended the year with 3.3 million subscribers.

A fourth-quarter XM ad campaign, the company's biggest since its launch, helped it hold its own to finish 2005 with more than 6 million subscribers.

In the ads, by Mullen Advertising, rapper Snoop Dogg searches the XM studios for his missing diamond-studded “Snoop” nameplate. He questions Ellen DeGeneres, Derek Jeter, Martina McBride and David Bowie. All claim they haven't seen his prized necklace. In the last scene, Bowie reveals he has it concealed under his shirt.

“It's always challenging in a 30-second ad to convey 170 channels,” Hahn says. “This was a very entertaining way to do it. Snoop is our guide from studio to studio to studio. The idea here was to provide a peek behind the curtain at the XM studio to show the kind of stuff you can't get on terrestrial radio.”

Many consumers liked what they saw, according to results of Ad Track, USA TODAY's weekly survey. Of those familiar with the ads, 17% like them a lot vs. Ad Track's average of 21%. But the ads scored above average with women, at 23%. Just 10% of men gave them the top likability rating.

“Having a bit more of a female skew is not a bad thing,” Hahn says. “‘We were trying to appeal to a broad audience and show that we have something for everyone.”

Next up for XM: new hardware options. Shipping this month are a pair of handheld portables — the Pioneer Inno and Samsung Helix — that combine an MP3 player with a live satellite radio receiver. They also let subscribers record XM programs to play later.

“Our competition is not only the other guy, it's terrestrial radio and other ways to listen,” Hahn says.

YankeePride1967
03-27-06, 07:37 AM
I love the new XM channel 49 which is classic rock from 1980 to the present to compliment the regular classic rock channel.

YClipper5
03-27-06, 08:45 AM
I love the new XM channel 49 which is classic rock from 1980 to the present to compliment the regular classic rock channel.
Big Tracks. Great channel.

RhodyYanksFan
03-27-06, 09:51 AM
Big Tracks. Great channel.

I think Big Tracks needs some tweaking. I like the idea, but I can't listen to it for more then 2-3 songs. When they have GnR followed by Meatloaf followed by Air Supply followed by Def Leppard it doesn't flow.

whiffleball
04-04-06, 07:08 AM
I think they have enough "tracks" channels. They have Big, Top and Deep tracks. I feel they need to be more descriptive with they're titles.

One of the things that I liked at Sirius was the descriptive channel names. When I listened to Hair nation I knew I would hear Hair bands or First Wave would give new wave / early alternative.

Even though I listen to them, I couldn't tell you from the name what Fred, Ethel and Lucy are supposed to play.

RhodyYanksFan
04-20-06, 01:28 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060420/ap_on_en_ot/roth_radio

Sources: Roth on Way Out As Radio Host
NEW YORK - No surprise: David Lee Roth's run as morning radio host is about done. Big surprise: It appears raunchy satellite radio stars Opie and Anthony will replace him on seven CBS Radio stations.

This must be going out Howards ass sideways.

BronxByTheBay
04-20-06, 01:35 PM
So we're replacing our stolen XM unit with...

A satellite radio-ready radio with removable faceplate. Try to steal THAT, you f*ckers. Yes, we'll be going with XM again. I guess I'll just have to revisit Sirius for my home office sometime after summer.

DaPip1998
04-20-06, 01:50 PM
I don't know if this is being discussed elsewhere, but, as has been long rumored, Howard Stern's 'replacement' David Lee Roth is being replaced, at least here in NY and some other cities, with XM's Opie & Anthony.

I guess it will be a 'packaged' show from their XM broadcast, cleaned up enough for radio airways, as they will continue to do a show exclusively for XM subscribers.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/64800.htm

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
04-20-06, 01:56 PM
I don't know if this is being discussed elsewhere, but, as has been long rumored, Howard Stern's 'replacement' David Lee Roth is being replaced, at least here in NY and some other cities, with XM's Opie & Anthony.

I guess it will be a 'packaged' show from their XM broadcast, cleaned up enough for radio airways, as they will continue to do a show exclusively for XM subscribers.

it's being discussed two posts above this. :)

BronxByTheBay
04-20-06, 01:57 PM

Infinity execs just will not get it, will they? How the hell do you attack the NYC market with a "packaged" and watered down version of a radio show by two guys that already had a run in NYC?

Unreal.

DaPip1998
04-20-06, 02:00 PM
Infinity execs just will not get it, will they? How the hell do you attack the NYC market with a "packaged" and watered down version of a radio show by two guys that already had a run in NYC?

Unreal.

I guess they figure anything is better than what DLR was giving them. At least O&A are a known commodity who had a decent following before the "Sex for Sam" incident. Maybe some Stern fans who didn't feel like paying for Sirius will return to a station and time slot they are used to for a Howard-type show.

KLJ
04-20-06, 02:37 PM
speaking of xm.. i just noticed that dirrecttv took the o&a station and the baseball station off the menu.. is the temp. or not? those were my 2 favorite stations..

RhodyYanksFan
04-20-06, 02:42 PM
I guess they figure anything is better than what DLR was giving them. At least O&A are a known commodity who had a decent following before the "Sex for Sam" incident. Maybe some Stern fans who didn't feel like paying for Sirius will return to a station and time slot they are used to for a Howard-type show.

That has to be their thinking. I find it funny at how much they bashed these guys after Sex for Sam and disassociated the company with them, only to come crawling back to them now that they're in the ratings sh*tter. :lol:

yankeesAZ
04-20-06, 08:47 PM

Unreal.

I wonder if CBS will sue O & A for promoting XM ;).

NelsonMuntz
04-20-06, 10:29 PM

Unreal.
I don't know what is more ridiculous -- the fact that Infinity expected a guy with zero radio experience to successfully replace one of the greatest radio personalities of all time, or the fact that they are giving up on Roth after just three months. That's not much time to build an audience.

GravyMaster3
04-20-06, 10:46 PM

Unreal.
O&A "censored" is 10x better than anything they could find. They will get a 3 hour O&A show and XM subs will still get 2 hours+ of uncensored show. Believe it or not, just because they can't curse doesn't mean they will be "watered down".

yankeesAZ
04-20-06, 11:57 PM
O&A "censored" is 10x better than anything they could find. They will get a 3 hour O&A show and XM subs will still get 2 hours+ of uncensored show. Believe it or not, just because they can't curse doesn't mean they will be "watered down".

Could be a good move for XM. Hear O&A uncensored, but if you want to hear the "really good stuff", sign up for XM.

whiffleball
04-21-06, 06:11 AM
speaking of xm.. i just noticed that dirrecttv took the o&a station and the baseball station off the menu.. is the temp. or not? those were my 2 favorite stations..

This is a permanent move. Direct wanted to go with all music.

YankeePride1967
04-21-06, 07:26 AM
Could be a good move for XM. Hear O&A uncensored, but if you want to hear the "really good stuff", sign up for XM.

I think it's GREAT news for XM. Good advertising for the real product. Who wants to hear a bunch of beeps?

NYDCYankee
04-21-06, 07:30 AM
I guess O&A fans on XM should get ready for a lot more commercials.

YankeePride1967
04-21-06, 09:49 AM
I guess O&A fans on XM should get ready for a lot more commercials.

Not at all. They said the show on XM will not change at all. It's FM that will adjust to them. People on FM will be on commercial when O&A are still on the air.

whiffleball
04-21-06, 01:40 PM
Not at all. They said the show on XM will not change at all. It's FM that will adjust to them. People on FM will be on commercial when O&A are still on the air.

I think at first they will try to keep the show the same but inevitably they will have to adjust their break schedule to coincide with FM's. That means we’ll have to get used to 10 minute breaks. We’ll see. I for one hope it works but something tells me that O&A will blow up this one also.

YClipper5
04-21-06, 03:58 PM
I think at first they will try to keep the show the same but inevitably they will have to adjust their break schedule to coincide with FM's. That means we’ll have to get used to 10 minute breaks. We’ll see. I for one hope it works but something tells me that O&A will blow up this one also.
I have confidence in the fact that they won't be doing anything to compromise the show. Free FM was desperate for them, not the other way around.

This deal is going to be made on O&A's and XM's terms.

whiffleball
04-21-06, 07:55 PM
Looks like it's official..

http://billboardradiomonitor.com/radiomonitor/news/business/digital/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002383413

" the agreement allows CBS to air a three-hour version of the O&A show that will originate from its WFNY studios. CBS will have control over this portion of the program, which will simulcast uncensored on XM.

After they wrap their CBS show, plans call for the pair to travel the block or so to XM’s midtown Manhattan studio and put in another two-hours that will air exclusively on XM."

I don't like the setup of a 3 hour show then a 2 hour at another studio. It's just going to turn into a bitch festival.

NelsonMuntz
04-21-06, 09:58 PM
Looks like it's official..

http://billboardradiomonitor.com/radiomonitor/news/business/digital/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002383413

" the agreement allows CBS to air a three-hour version of the O&A show that will originate from its WFNY studios. CBS will have control over this portion of the program, which will simulcast uncensored on XM.

After they wrap their CBS show, plans call for the pair to travel the block or so to XM’s midtown Manhattan studio and put in another two-hours that will air exclusively on XM."

I don't like the setup of a 3 hour show then a 2 hour at another studio. It's just going to turn into a bitch festival.
So Infinity officially replaces Howard Stern with the Howard Stern imitators. :P

YankeePride1967
04-21-06, 11:26 PM

They've already said that they are not changing the XM program. FM will just have to time the commercials right.

YankeePride1967
04-21-06, 11:27 PM
So Infinity officially replaces Howard Stern with the Howard Stern imitators. :P

Have no idea what they immitate as their shows are nothing alike.

whiffleball
04-22-06, 08:14 AM

Let’s see, who says that they are Stern Imitators? Oh, that would be Howard. Consider your source. They guy wouldn't let them say his Name on air for god sake. He's a little man and I wish him nothing but the worst.

Although I don't care for splitting the show between 2 locations, this deal is best for XM. It brings in much needed revenue and exposure.

YankeePride1967
04-22-06, 08:22 AM
Let’s see, who says that they are Stern Imitators? Oh, that would be Howard. Consider your source. They guy wouldn't let them say his Name on air for god sake. He's a little man and I wish him nothing but the worst.

Although I don't care for splitting the show between 2 locations, this deal is best for XM. It brings in much needed revenue and exposure.

I can't speak for O&A pre 2002, but the shows now are not alike at all. The only ones that think O&A are "copying" from Howard are the ones blindly listening to Howard and believing him when he says everyone is copying from him, even when he copied Imus.

YClipper5
04-22-06, 09:50 AM
I can't speak for O&A pre 2002, but the shows now are not alike at all. The only ones that think O&A are "copying" from Howard are the ones blindly listening to Howard and believing him when he says everyone is copying from him, even when he copied Imus.
Tell 'em, Fred! :D

NelsonMuntz
04-22-06, 09:50 AM

Chill out whiff, I was just busting chops. That post was mostly for Rhody and GoRocket. Hence the ":P". Like most Stern fans, I really could give a rats a*s about Opie and Anthony. I hope they do well on terrestrial radio for all I care. I do wonder how they are going to adjust to the heavily censored post Janet Jackson terrestrial radio era though. IIRC, they were last on terrestrial radio before the FCC went batsh*t crazy and decided to start fining stations for broadcasting fart noises, right?

NelsonMuntz
04-22-06, 09:58 AM
See my last post GR ;)

YankeePride1967
04-22-06, 10:12 AM
See my last post GR ;)

Oh, okay. No prob. From what I've gathered, it's CBS and not XM that will be doing the adjusting. From what I understand the show will be on a tape delay of some length and some one will be inserting a "Mr. Falcon" for example anytime certain words are being said. Now obviously if it is something that would make no sense to air that way they would likely save it for the 2 hour exclusive XM part.

BronxByTheBay
04-22-06, 10:52 AM

I can't believe this argument is popping up again, but just for the hell of it:

It's not even debateable that O&A are Stern imitators. When they were first on I'd listen to their show and virtually every ingredient in it had been done on Stern several years ago. They even trotted out the infamous Casey Kasem "f*cking dog dying" outtake as though they'd just discovered it. That's not to say some of their stuff wasn't funny, but it's unrealistic to listen to a lot of their stuff and not think it's already been done by Stern.

And anyone who's paid attention to my posts in this thread knows I'm no Stern apologist.

YankeePride1967
04-22-06, 12:49 PM
I can't believe this argument is popping up again, but just for the hell of it:

It's not even debateable that O&A are Stern imitators. When they were first on I'd listen to their show and virtually every ingredient in it had been done on Stern several years ago. They even trotted out the infamous Casey Kasem "f*cking dog dying" outtake as though they'd just discovered it. That's not to say some of their stuff wasn't funny, but it's unrealistic to listen to a lot of their stuff and not think it's already been done by Stern.

And anyone who's paid attention to my posts in this thread knows I'm no Stern apologist.

If "copying" is broken down to that miniscule level then everyone does it. I understand Howard played the Pat O'Brien sex voice mails when he came on Sirius in January. O&A had them on last spring.

YClipper5
04-22-06, 01:00 PM
It's not even debateable that O&A are Stern imitators.
Can someone please explain what exactly defines "Stern imitators?"

Is it similar subject matter? Is it guests? Pranks and stunts? Unless Howard really invented everything he so claims, he's an imitator as well.

As someone who used to listen to both shows, I find them vastly different.

NelsonMuntz
04-22-06, 01:09 PM

Is it similar subject matter? Is it guests? Pranks and stunts? Unless Howard really invented everything he so claims, he's an imitator as well.

He was the first radio personality to really push the limits of "decency" which opened the door for other "racy" personalities like O & A. Nobody is claiming that Stern is better of funnier, but he certainly paved the way for the entire "shock jock" genre. I wish O & A fans could just admit that much.

YankeePride1967
04-22-06, 01:13 PM
He was the first radio personality to really push the limits of "decency" which opened the door for other "racy" personalities like O & A. Nobody is claiming that Stern is better of funnier, but he certainly paved the way for the entire "shock jock" genre. I wish O & A fans could just admit that much.

The original shock jock was Don Imus. I give Howard credit for what he has done, but he did not invent radio, shock jock radio or DJing. He took it to a different level, yes, but he did not invent it. If we are going to take "copying" down to this level then everyone is copying everyone.

YankeePride1967
04-22-06, 01:15 PM

Again, I didn't start listening to O&A until they came on XM in 2004, but I see very little similarities between the show other than that they both have language on the show now that they didn't have on free radio. Everyone copies everyone.

YClipper5
04-22-06, 01:19 PM
I believe Imus was pushing the limits prior to Stern, but Stern fans don't want to believe any of that.

O&A fans understand the importance of Stern to this genre. O&A do as well, and recognize it all the time.

My question still stands. How are they imitators?

YankeePride1967
04-22-06, 01:22 PM
I believe Imus was pushing the limits prior to Stern, but Stern fans don't want to believe any of that.

O&A fans understand the importance of Stern to this genre. O&A do as well, and recognize it all the time.

My question still stands. How are they imitators?

And that's the funny thing about it, O&A are the first to give Howard credit for how he was in his prime. I am waiting for some SPECIFIC things that (in the last two years anyway) that O&A have copied.

JDPNYY
04-22-06, 01:34 PM
I continue to wonder why people on both sides of this issue continue to argue about it.

Again....

I you like Stern, listen.

If you like O&A, listen.

If you like both, listen.

If you dislike any of them, don't listen.

NelsonMuntz
04-22-06, 01:37 PM
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on Imus as the only time I ever tried to listen to him I nearly got into an accident because I almost fell asleep from boredom. That being said, did Imus ever have naked strippers, porn stars and lesbians in his studio before Howard? Did Imus talk openly about his sex life before Howard did?

JDPNYY
04-22-06, 01:40 PM
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on Imus as the only time I ever tried to listen to him I nearly got into an accident because I almost fell asleep from boredom. That being said, did Imus ever have naked strippers, porn stars and lesbians in his studio before Howard? Did Imus talk openly about his sex life before Howard did?

Imus played music, commercials, news, traffic & weather plus some pre-recorded bits prior to Stern coming to WNBC.

YClipper5
04-22-06, 01:46 PM
You said Stern was the first to push the limits of decency. He wasn't because Imus pushed the limits prior to him. Just because Imus didn't have strippers, porn stars, etc, doesn't mean he didn't push the envelope.

When WNBC hired Stern, why do you think they paired Imus and Stern in their marketing campaign? Because they had similar styles. If we're talking imitators, Stern ripped off a whole bunch of stuff from Imus. But Imus never talks about it. You know why? Because he doesn't give a sh*t. Its the nature of the industry. Only Howard makes a big deal about being ripped off.

NelsonMuntz
04-22-06, 01:53 PM
You said Stern was the first to push the limits of decency. He wasn't because Imus pushed the limits prior to him. Just because Imus didn't have strippers, porn stars, etc, doesn't mean he didn't push the envelope.

When WNBC hired Stern, why do you think they paired Imus and Stern in their marketing campaign? Because they had similar styles. If we're talking imitators, Stern ripped off a whole bunch of stuff from Imus. But Imus never talks about it. You know why? Because he doesn't give a sh*t. Its the nature of the industry. Only Howard makes a big deal about being ripped off.
So what exactly did Imus do to push the limits of decency? According to JDPNYY (who I respect and trust), Imus played music, commercials, news, traffic & weather plus some pre-recorded bits prior to Stern coming to WNBC. So was he nude while giving the traffic report?

JDPNYY
04-22-06, 02:03 PM
So what exactly did Imus do to push the limits of decency? According to JDPNYY (who I respect and trust), Imus played music, commercials, news, traffic & weather plus some pre-recorded bits prior to Stern coming to WNBC. So was he nude while giving the traffic report?

Oh wait, I forgot, he gave the time a lot. You know with that clever quack quack.

His bits were irreverent, but the bits certainly were not a big part of his broadcast.

YClipper5
04-22-06, 02:53 PM
Oh wait, I forgot, he gave the time a lot. You know with that clever quack quack.

His bits were irreverent, but the bits certainly were not a big part of his broadcast.
You make Imus sound like he was a newsreader at 1010WINS. His characters and taped pieces were irreverent and original for his day.

If we're talking who had strippers and their ilk in their studio first, then congratulations, it was Stern. If we're talking who was the groundbreaker in this "shock-jock" genre, it was Don Imus.

JDPNYY
04-22-06, 03:16 PM
You make Imus sound like he was a newsreader at 1010WINS. His characters and taped pieces were irreverent and original for his day.

If we're talking who had strippers and their ilk in their studio first, then congratulations, it was Stern. If we're talking who was the groundbreaker in this "shock-jock" genre, it was Don Imus.

I said his bits were irreverent.

Stern's main groundbreaking wasn't his content, it was the fact that he fought having to have news, weather, traffic, time checks, & music dominating the broadcast. He eventually won and proved that he could be successful without being in the mold.

Imus was a DJ, he added occasional bits to his broadcast. I'm willing to give him credit for that contribution.

YClipper5
04-22-06, 07:59 PM
Just got this e-mail from DirecTV. O&A are back on.

We've got great news! Thanks to the many requests from fans of Opie & Anthony, DIRECTV has decided to bring back XM Satellite Radio's High Voltage XL on channel 879. High Voltage XL will be available as a part of our TOTAL CHOICE PLUS package and should be returning in the next few days. If you don't already subscribe to TOTAL CHOICE PLUS or above, you can do so online. Just sign into your account (or register if you haven't yet) and click on the Change or Add Programming link.

Thanks for writing to let us know how you feel, and stay tuned to DIRECTV to hear Opie & Anthony again.

Sincerely,
Bryan B
DIRECTV Customer Service

BronxByTheBay
04-22-06, 08:04 PM
If "copying" is broken down to that miniscule level then everyone does it. I understand Howard played the Pat O'Brien sex voice mails when he came on Sirius in January. O&A had them on last spring.

That was just one example I used, and it was used to demonstrate what lengths O&A go to. The entire set up of their show down to the "just a group of guys goofing on each other" bits comes directly from the Stern playbook. Gee, I bet O&A goof on their assistants and maybe even, I dunno, follow 'em around for a day or something. I bet they have a slobby comic on who's a mess and tells great stories (Jim Norton is actually really funny - shame Infinity execs didn't show real guts and just give him a show).

I bet O&A had those sex tapes on their XM show last Spring while Stern had to wait until he had that kind of freedom - so what? You're grabbing at one incident that may seem similiar to what I described but in reality is completely different. Anyone denying O&A are Stern imitators is either just a Stern hater or unfamiliar with the show the guy's done for about 20 years. I have no stake in who's funnier than the other, that's just preference. But denying that O&A's show's entire structure isn't derived from the Howard Stern playbook is silly.

yankeesAZ
04-22-06, 11:09 PM
I'll be interested to see how watered down the show is. We will not be getting O & A out here, so keep us informed terrestrial listeners.

YankeePride1967
04-23-06, 08:14 AM
That was just one example I used, and it was used to demonstrate what lengths O&A go to. The entire set up of their show down to the "just a group of guys goofing on each other" bits comes directly from the Stern playbook. Gee, I bet O&A goof on their assistants and maybe even, I dunno, follow 'em around for a day or something. I bet they have a slobby comic on who's a mess and tells great stories (Jim Norton is actually really funny - shame Infinity execs didn't show real guts and just give him a show).

I bet O&A had those sex tapes on their XM show last Spring while Stern had to wait until he had that kind of freedom - so what? You're grabbing at one incident that may seem similiar to what I described but in reality is completely different. Anyone denying O&A are Stern imitators is either just a Stern hater or unfamiliar with the show the guy's done for about 20 years. I have no stake in who's funnier than the other, that's just preference. But denying that O&A's show's entire structure isn't derived from the Howard Stern playbook is silly.

Again, I can't speak for 2002 or older but the O&A show today is nothing like Stern. Whether Stern could have played that tape or not then is irrelevent, it had been played by O&A. Yes the style is similiar, but any radio station you listen to has copied from someone. Any. Copying is copying. Anyone that opens a radio station and plays record is an imitator, so what?

YankeePride1967
04-23-06, 08:20 AM

You are confusing sex with being a shock jock.

YankeePride1967
04-23-06, 08:49 AM
I'll be interested to see how watered down the show is. We will not be getting O & A out here, so keep us informed terrestrial listeners.

It won't be, CBS will be adjusting to the show, not the other way around.

KLJ
04-23-06, 10:00 AM
Just got this e-mail from DirecTV. O&A are back on.

We've got great news! Thanks to the many requests from fans of Opie & Anthony, DIRECTV has decided to bring back XM Satellite Radio's High Voltage XL on channel 879. High Voltage XL will be available as a part of our TOTAL CHOICE PLUS package and should be returning in the next few days. If you don't already subscribe to TOTAL CHOICE PLUS or above, you can do so online. Just sign into your account (or register if you haven't yet) and click on the Change or Add Programming link.

Thanks for writing to let us know how you feel, and stay tuned to DIRECTV to hear Opie & Anthony again.

Sincerely,
Bryan B
DIRECTV Customer Service

sweet.. i can get my ron and fez show back..

JDPNYY
04-23-06, 10:02 AM
sweet.. i can get my ron and fez show back..

I always thought Ron & Fez were a riot. I haven't heard them since they left New York... I heard Fez was sick and off the show for a while. Has he returned?

KLJ
04-23-06, 10:04 AM
I always thought Ron & Fez were a riot. I haven't heard them since they left New York... I heard Fez was sick and off the show for a while. Has he returned?
he had a heart attack from what i understand.. i haven't heard the show in a couple weeks but he was on last i listened.

YClipper5
04-23-06, 10:16 AM
As KLJ says, Fez had a mild heart attack a few months back, he came back after a couple of weeks off.

BronxByTheBay
04-23-06, 11:35 AM
Again, I can't speak for 2002 or older but the O&A show today is nothing like Stern. Whether Stern could have played that tape or not then is irrelevent, it had been played by O&A. Yes the style is similiar, but any radio station you listen to has copied from someone. Any. Copying is copying. Anyone that opens a radio station and plays record is an imitator, so what?

That's like saying that any comedian using a mic and a stage is copying other comics. Not a valid comparison. O&A took Stern's structure and style. They were just more successful at implementing it because they seem to "get" what it is that makes Stern successful.

YankeePride1967
04-23-06, 12:27 PM
That's like saying that any comedian using a mic and a stage is copying other comics. Not a valid comparison. O&A took Stern's structure and style. They were just more successful at implementing it because they seem to "get" what it is that makes Stern successful.

And Stern did so (not as much) with Imus. Everyone copies everyone, including Howard. Howard even takes back from O&A. He played a phone crank call in the fall that was played numerous times on Opie and Anthony. Oh and the voice of the prank call -- Anthony. I didn't know Howard had a patent on being a shock jock -- even though he wasn't the first. There's no doubt that their styles are similiar and as I said I can't speak for before 2004. But today the shows are different.

yankeesAZ
04-23-06, 12:27 PM
It won't be, CBS will be adjusting to the show, not the other way around.

I know they will. It will be interesting to see how they adjust to it. I couldn't imagine the current Stern show being adjusted for terrestrial radio. About the only thing they could air would be Robin reading the news. There would be no normal flow of anything else as it would be one bleep after another and certain segments not even allowed to be aired period.

YankeePride1967
04-23-06, 12:37 PM
I know they will. It will be interesting to see how they adjust to it. I couldn't imagine the current Stern show being adjusted for terrestrial radio. About the only thing they could air would be Robin reading the news. There would be no normal flow of anything else as it would be one bleep after another and certain segments not even allowed to be aired period.

I think the topics that can't be talked about without it being totally ruined will be saved for the 2 hour XM part but beyond that if one of them feels compelled to curse, he will. Now how long it would last on CBS is another thing but I don't think XM would allow this if the quality of the XM side was going to be butchered like that. I think they are going to use the FM side to show "you can get this uncensored on XM". Excellent advertising for 3 hours a day for free.

yankeesAZ
04-23-06, 12:41 PM
I think they are going to use the FM side to show "you can get this uncensored on XM". Excellent advertising for 3 hours a day for free.

Which makes CBS' suit vs Stern even more baseless.

BronxByTheBay
04-23-06, 01:21 PM
And Stern did so (not as much) with Imus. Everyone copies everyone, including Howard. Howard even takes back from O&A. He played a phone crank call in the fall that was played numerous times on Opie and Anthony. Oh and the voice of the prank call -- Anthony. I didn't know Howard had a patent on being a shock jock -- even though he wasn't the first. There's no doubt that their styles are similiar and as I said I can't speak for before 2004. But today the shows are different.

No, O&A's style is similiar to Stern's. It's impossible for his style to be similiar to theirs as he's been doing this much longer. Again, you can grab at random bits that may overlap, but O&A's entire structure is based on Stern's show.

Stern doesn't have a patent on being a "shock jock" because he never was.

YankeePride1967
04-23-06, 01:55 PM
Which makes CBS' suit vs Stern even more baseless.

Which I thought it was from day 1. It's more sour grapes to me.

YankeePride1967
04-23-06, 01:57 PM
No, O&A's style is similiar to Stern's. It's impossible for his style to be similiar to theirs as he's been doing this much longer. Again, you can grab at random bits that may overlap, but O&A's entire structure is based on Stern's show.

I don't think either acts are, but whatever you want to term their styles, Imus was around before Howard. Listening to both shows until Stern left for Sirius over the past year, two different shows. I will take your word on how O&A got started, but the shows today are different (obviously not unrelated as they are in the same field).

YClipper5
04-23-06, 03:32 PM
If you could clarify, are you saying Stern isn't a shock-jock?

BronxByTheBay
04-23-06, 04:59 PM
If you could clarify, are you saying Stern isn't a shock-jock?

Absolutely. "Shock jock" is a lazy media-applied term that makes for easy soundbites on garbage like "Hard Copy" back in the day. The Zoo formats lend themselves more to the term as they legitimately would try to "shock" their audience with their "wacky" and "outragous" bits. Woohoo.

Stern's stuff may have been, at times, shocking but that wasn't the intent. It was always about laughs.

YClipper5
04-23-06, 05:16 PM
Absolutely. "Shock jock" is a lazy media-applied term that makes for easy soundbites on garbage like "Hard Copy" back in the day. The Zoo formats lend themselves more to the term as they legitimately would try to "shock" their audience with their "wacky" and "outragiousness" bits. Woohoo.

Stern's stuff may have been, at times, shocking but that wasn't the intent. It was always about laughs.
While I agree that the terminology makes for easy soundbites and puts people in a nice tidy package, popular culture has readily accepted the term and who is boxed in it.

Sure Stern's bit are done for laughs, but its the shock value of strippers, robo-spankers, etc, that makes him the poster boy for the genre, not Morning Zoos.

BronxByTheBay
04-23-06, 05:20 PM
While I agree that the terminology makes for easy soundbites and puts people in a nice tidy package, popular culture has readily accepted the term and who is boxed in it.

So what? It's accepted by those who repeat it. This is the same mindset that insists fast guys make the best leadoff guys and "everybody" just knows it. "Everybody" couldn't possibly be wrong, now could they?

Sure Stern's bit are done for laughs, but its the shock value of strippers, robo-spankers, etc, that makes him the poster boy for the genre, not Morning Zoos.

As I stated the shock comes on occasion and the intent isn't for shock. That's the key difference between what Stern does and morning Zoos do.

RhodyYanksFan
04-23-06, 05:27 PM

The thing about the O'Brien sex tapes is that when Howard did finally get to play them as they should be played, he made everyone believe that it was new and he was the guy who found them and is the first guy on satellite to play them.

When he outright lies and says the he's the pioneer of satellite radio when he's 15 months late it's silly.

I don't know all the details of the O&A move, but I trust that they'll be true to their word and not change the XM show. They know how horrible Free radio is nowadays and I don't think they'd be able to go back to it given the freedoms they have now - not just in language, but in converstaion. The topics discussed on the show are sometimes smart, but sometimes so outrageous, even without cursing it wouldn't go over well with the gestapo FCC. They don't want to go back to that atmosphere. Plus, I don't think XM would let them do the same show because why would people sign up for XM if they could get O&A free everyday? I think that 92.3 will adjust to them, not vice versa.

BronxByTheBay
04-23-06, 05:31 PM
The thing about the O'Brien sex tapes is that when Howard did finally get to play them as they should be played, he made everyone believe that it was new and he was the guy who found them and is the first guy on satellite to play them.

When he outright lies and says the he's the pioneer of satellite radio when he's 15 months late it's silly.

Look, I have stated repeatedly that Stern goes overboard with this "I invented sound" bullsh*t. But truth is truth and O&A's show doesn't sound the way it does if they didn't have Stern to hack from.

Incidentally, he may not have been the first but there's a very good shot Howard Stern will put satellite radio on the map. O&A's move didn't generate any buzz whatsoever and we both know they certainly didn't generate the business and exposure for XM that Stern has for Sirius. Although it looks like even with Stern, Sirius won't cover the ground XM has opened up on them.

RhodyYanksFan
04-23-06, 05:34 PM
Look, I have stated repeatedly that Stern goes overboard with this "I invented sound" bullsh*t. But truth is truth and O&A's show doesn't sound the way it does if they didn't have Stern to hack from.

Incidentally, he may not have been the first but there's a very good shot Howard Stern will put satellite radio on the map. O&A's move didn't generate any buzz whatsoever and we both know they certainly didn't generate the business and exposure for XM that Stern has for Sirius. Although it looks like even with Stern, Sirius won't cover the ground XM has opened up on them.

I hope both companies prosper, but I don't think Sterns move had the effect they were hoping. XM has already moved ahead in new subs after the initial Stern push before xmas. Sirius' stock was at 52 week lows in March, not new highs like they probably expected.

YClipper5
04-23-06, 05:35 PM
So what? It's accepted by those who repeat it. This is the same mindset that insists fast guys make the best leadoff guys and "everybody" just knows it. "Everybody" couldn't possibly be wrong, now could they?

As I stated the shock comes on occasion and the intent isn't for shock. That's the key difference between what Stern does and morning Zoos do.
No its not, because there's a different philosophy held by many others that its not speed, but OBP that should dictate who leads off. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people, including those posting in this thread, who don't believe Stern is a shock-jock.

Intent doesn't matter. Its the reaction of the listener that counts. If the listener finds it shocking, then its shocking.

I've yet to find a Morning Zoo that was shocking as opposed to just plain silly and dumb.

BronxByTheBay
04-23-06, 05:37 PM
I hope both companies prosper, but I don't think Sterns move had the effect they were hoping. XM has already moved ahead in new subs after the initial Stern push before xmas. Sirius' stock was at 52 week lows in March, not new highs like they probably expected.

All true. Doesn't change the fact that O&A's addition to XM meant just about zero. In fact, they were originally charging an extra $2 or something if you wanted their channel. Last year XM decided to just raise their rates and give everyone access. I guess that ginormous influx of O&A listeners just didn't materialize like they expected, huh? ;)

BronxByTheBay
04-23-06, 05:40 PM
No its not, because there's a different philosophy held by many others that its not speed, but OBP that should dictate who leads off. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people, including those posting in this thread, who don't believe Stern is a shock-jock.

And they'd be as wrong as the folks who insist you want a "speedy" guy leading off just because he's fast.

Intent doesn't matter. Its the reaction of the listener that counts. If the listener finds it shocking, then its shocking.

I've yet to find a Morning Zoo that was shocking as opposed to just plain silly and dumb.[/quote]

You have to be kidding. Of course intent matters. Just because the Zoos are bad at it doesn't mean they don't fit the description. It's like saying just because a horror movie doesn't scare you it's actually a comedy. Stern's show isn't built around being shocking, Morning Zoo's are.

YankeePride1967
04-23-06, 06:10 PM
Absolutely. "Shock jock" is a lazy media-applied term that makes for easy soundbites on garbage like "Hard Copy" back in the day. The Zoo formats lend themselves more to the term as they legitimately would try to "shock" their audience with their "wacky" and "outragous" bits. Woohoo.

Have to agree on the shock jock thing, it's too easy to label anyone in that genre as that.