PDA

View Full Version : RIP Paul Lindblad

Big_E
01-14-06, 07:28 AM
Paul Lindblad, member of the 1978 NY Yankees World Champions died on New Year's Day, accoring to Newsday. I met him once at Nathans. He seemed like a nice guy. RIP, Paul.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-bbo-obit-lindblad,0,5695215.story

World Series Reliever Lindblad Dies

By Associated Press

January 13, 2006, 11:08 AM EST

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Paul Lindblad, a middle reliever who pitched in the World Series for the New York Yankees and Oakland, has died after a long bout with Alzheimer's disease.

Lindblad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 1993 and spent the last nine years in a nursing home. He died on New Year's Day. He was 64.

Lindblad pitched 14 seasons, his last game coming for the New York Yankees against the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 1978 World Series.

The left-hander was part of two World Series championship teams in Oakland, pitching the ninth and 10th innings to win the Athletics' 11-inning game over the New York Mets in 1973. He didn't make an appearance in the 1974 World Series.

At his funeral last week, Lindblad's casket was flanked by two replica World Series trophies.

The pitcher known as "Bladder" was 68-63 with 64 saves with a 3.29 ERA in 655 games for the Kansas City Athletics (1965-67), Oakland Athletics (1968-71 and 1973-76); Washington Senators (1971); Texas (1972 and 1977-78); and the Yankees (1978).

Lindblad was the last pitcher faced by Hall of Famer Willie Mays, who grounded out as a pinch-hitter to end the 11-inning World Series game in 1973. On the final day of the 1975 regular season against the California Angels, Lindblad combined with Vida Blue, Glenn Abbott and Rollie Fingers on a no-hitter.

BobbyMurcerFan
01-14-06, 07:32 AM
:( R.I.P. Paul. :NY:

Babe Rules
01-14-06, 08:24 AM
R.i.p.

gEO3b4
01-14-06, 08:33 AM
R.I.P
:NY: :NY:

3M'sBoys
01-14-06, 08:38 AM
I just finished reading "Bronx Zoo" by Sparky Lyle, and I don't think he mentioned Lindblad in it......

Anyway- too young to go. RIP.

Big_E
01-14-06, 08:47 AM
I just finished reading "Bronx Zoo" by Sparky Lyle, and I don't think he mentioned Lindblad in it.......
He came to the team on August 1.

Sixty one
01-14-06, 09:44 AM
RIP! Too young to be taken by that horrible disease. Paul was a very affective relieve pitcher who would be getting millions today if he were pitching in the majors.

3M'sBoys
01-14-06, 10:14 AM
He came to the team on August 1.

Thanks! Just re-read that part. I guess he's the one that Lyle thought he was to be traded for.

RIyankee
01-14-06, 10:27 AM
Wow.

Paul Lindblad (http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/lindbpa01.shtml) was one of the many unsung heroes from the great A's dynasty of the 1970s, a great lefty out of the bullpen.

Lindblad won Game 3 of the 1973 Word Series (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B10160NYN1973.htm).

noneckwilliams
01-14-06, 10:49 AM
I remember he had a very cool "action shot" baseball card one year.

RIP PL.

:(

Kiwiwriter
01-14-06, 11:39 AM
Very saddened to hear of this. He threw the last pitch to Willie Mays, and 64 is too young to die. :(

My condolences to his family and friends.

wexy
01-14-06, 12:17 PM
RIP - Really sad to die of Alzheimers so young. He's on this poster I have of the 78 Yankees with sketches of the players from Burger King.

Bub
01-14-06, 12:58 PM
He's been in a nursing home since age 55, which means he became ill at an even earlier age. I wasn't aware the this disease could strike so young.

Dave Visbeck
01-14-06, 03:06 PM
This is sad to hear about. It is a real shame that his life was shortened by such a disease. I liked Paul and have many memories of his days with the A's in the early to mid 70's. He played an important part in the A's success in World Championship seasons of 73' and 74' and failed run for a fourth title in 75' when that year ended with a Red Sox sweep in three games. He wasn't called upon as much as HOF'er reliever Rollie Fingers to finish a game unless a situation called upon it for a save from a lefty ... but he was used plenty.

I have a fond memory of one of his pitching accomplishments when I was present when he was the third pitcher called into the final game of the season in 75' ... the game that was a combined four pitcher no-hitter against the Angels in Oakland. It was a fan appreciation game that drew less than 25,000 for the game, which was typical of A's games back then unfortunately. Paul pitched for one inning - the 7th. Fingers finished the Angels off in the 8th and 9th for the combined no-hitter that saw Vida starting and pitching the first five innings.

That final game also saw Reggie Jackson hitting two long home runs to tie "Boomer" of Milwaukee for the league lead in home runs that year as I remember it. The two home runs were the last ones that Reggie would hit in his A's career. It gave him over 250 to that point ... and who would of thought that he would go on to even greater times in New York and a few other teams along the way and hit another 300+ more home runs before he was done. Lindblad would later join Reggie as a teammate again while both were with the Yankees in that sad Red Sox year for me in 1978 - with Paul finishing with another World Championship ring while with the Yankees. Nice way to end a very nice career.

If he had been pitching today ... it would of been for big bucks for sure! Thanks for the baseball memories Paul ... and rest in peace.

m_sisca
01-15-06, 09:23 AM
man,i hate to hear this...Paul Lindblad was my little league coach for the Arlington Optimist club in 1980...we were the league champs that year, and he signed my glove at the end of the season, which i still have to this day. RIP Paul.

hardrain
01-15-06, 09:50 AM
What a shame. I always like this guy and he was still young :(

CalYankeeFan
01-15-06, 10:03 AM
R.I.P Paul

Nome
01-16-06, 05:13 PM
How horrible.
To have died at 64 with 9 years of suffering from Alzheimers is unimaginable.

I remember Paul pitching for the Yankees. I hope he gets to pitch for us upstairs.

Andy