PDA

View Full Version : Homeless man beaten to death in Florida

yankeebot
01-13-06, 05:15 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10834294/
Police say they will seek murder charges against the attackers who beat a homeless man to death and are suspected in two similar attacks a few hours later. The first attack was caught on a university surveillance video before dawn Thursday, prompting a police search for two to four young men. The crime, though unusual for being captured on videotape, is remarkably common, advocates for the homeless say.
"It's one of the shameful secrets we have, the beating of homeless for sport," said Marti Forman, CEO of the Cooperative Feeding Program, told the newspaper. "It's a recreation thing, it's an initiation for gangs and fraternities."
I have no words.

NYYBombshell
01-13-06, 05:29 PM
I say we lock those cretins in a small room and let the homeless beat them to death.

wexy
01-13-06, 05:31 PM
I saw the video on the news last night. It was horrible to watch.
Two other homeless men were attacked in South Florida as well. Probably the same thugs.

Hopefully someone will recognize them from the film and turn their sorry asses in.

NYDCYankee
01-13-06, 05:31 PM
I don't think people realize how often this happens. I work in a capacity for the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Alphonso Jackson and one of the things that I do is follow homelessness issues. I feel like I have come across over 100 cases in the past six months.

Panamaniac42
01-13-06, 05:42 PM
I don't think people realize how often this happens. I work in a capacity for the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Alphonso Jackson and one of the things that I do is follow homelessness issues. I feel like I have come across over 100 cases in the past six months.

My friend showed me one of the "Bumfights" videos and it was one of the most disgusting things i've ever seen.

The people who do sh*t like this are cut from the same cloth as those who abuse animals and small children.

yankees27
01-13-06, 05:42 PM
Good Lord. I really don't understand how people could do something like that.

NelsonMuntz
01-13-06, 05:58 PM
I was just going to say, doesn't this type of thing happen all the time? Not to seem insensitive, I'm just wondering why this particular incident is making news.

SheffRocks11
01-13-06, 06:01 PM
Some people...

NYDCYankee
01-13-06, 06:04 PM
I was just going to say, doesn't this type of thing happen all the time? Not to seem insensitive, I'm just wondering why this particular incident is making news.

Yah. You know what helps happens alot. Homeless killing each other and killing random passerby's also happens with regularity.

yankeebot
01-13-06, 06:05 PM
I was just going to say, doesn't this type of thing happen all the time? Not to seem insensitive, I'm just wondering why this particular incident is making news.I had no idea this was so common! The press coverage is just due to the video. Sad that this would not be a big deal if it were not on film.

DiMaggio5CF
01-13-06, 06:09 PM
Makes sense. The homeless aren't people or anything. It's common knowledge that they don't have souls. They're a curse on society, and they only really exist for our amusement.

NYDCYankee
01-13-06, 06:15 PM
If you want me too I can really go off on homelessness issues...

jdolbow
01-13-06, 06:29 PM
This and drowning kittens is the stuff of sociopaths, no?

I had no idea this stuff was common.

BronxBombers2005
01-13-06, 06:32 PM
That was very sad to see. Those are some Fed up people that need to be shot.

yankees27
01-13-06, 06:42 PM
Caught on tape.

brosiusbuddy
01-13-06, 07:34 PM
I just watched the video and I hope to God these assholes go to prison for murder. Judging by their cowardace and their meager physiques, you could rest assured that in prison, they'd be the victims of rape on a regular basis... and that doesn't even begin to describe the punishment they deserve for this type of act. I hope their prison sentences are long and their stays in hell are longer.

IncredibleByNature
01-14-06, 03:16 AM
I have no words.

Ditto.

I truly had no idea this was so common. Very sad.

WashingtonYankee
01-14-06, 03:24 AM
I am speechless. Why do people do this? Er, I'm mad.

chanman7483
01-14-06, 11:36 AM
Cowards... all of them.

Kiwiwriter
01-14-06, 12:57 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10834294/
I have no words.

Actually, Jesus Christ did..."What ye do to the least of me, ye do unto me."

And I'm Jewish, by the way. I just recognize good philosophy when I see it.

The Old Testament also said it: "He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind." These idiots who killed the homeless man troubled their own house.

thecaptain
01-14-06, 01:03 PM
someone will ID the kid from the video. it looked like he was laughing as he ran away.. very sad. :(

BronxBombers2005
01-14-06, 06:39 PM
I am speechless. Why do people do this? Er, I'm mad.

Because their F***ed up in the head. Stupid assholes.

gdn
01-14-06, 06:54 PM
So sad... morons.

Casey37
01-14-06, 07:56 PM
The local authorities expect to make an arrest very soon. I hope these two punks rot in jail.

Gringaloca
01-14-06, 09:04 PM
The local authorities expect to make an arrest very soon. I hope these two punks rot in jail.

According to the local news tonight...they have some 'leads'. The video tapes are going to be a factor in apprehending these punks.
Of course, the parents will hire some high powered Attorneys to use the sorry ass defense of their exposure to violence on TV, video games...blah, blah, blah.. :mad:

The Homeless Shelters in Broward County are full tonight...due to these attacks and the unseasonably cold weather this weekend. At least the majority of them will get a somewhat comfortable nights' sleep. They estimate there are 10,000 homeless on the streets of Broward County on any given day. :(

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-113homelessbeating,0,2097658.story?coll=sfla-news-broward

PinstripePride
01-14-06, 11:35 PM
F*cking little cowardly sh!ts. No one would even need a bat to beat the piss out of them, skinny little bitches. :mad:

Gringaloca
01-15-06, 12:06 AM
The 'leads' have proved sucessful! :) BSO (Broward Sheriffs Office) have identified two of the lil' punks. :D

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_014192206.html

I can't wait to hear what their attorney's 'defense' is going to be. ;)

DiMaggio5CF
01-15-06, 12:09 AM
I hope they let them go.

I live just a few hours away.

PinstripePride
01-15-06, 12:56 AM
I hope they let them go.

I live just a few hours away.

Can I come?

gdn
01-15-06, 07:13 AM
The 'leads' have proved sucessful! :) BSO (Broward Sheriffs Office) have identified two of the lil' punks. :D

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_014192206.html

I can't wait to hear what their attorney's 'defense' is going to be. ;)If I was their lawyer, I'd tell them to take the deal :)

wexy
01-15-06, 09:38 PM
They have surrendered to face murder charges

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/15/homeless.beatings.ap/index.html

ALR83
01-15-06, 10:08 PM
That picture breaks my heart. :(

NYYBombshell
01-15-06, 11:14 PM
They have surrendered to face murder charges

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/15/homeless.beatings.ap/index.html

He's a child for crying out loud....................where are the parents? Do they even care?

JeffWeaverFan
01-15-06, 11:56 PM
I say we lock those cretins in a small room and let the homeless beat them to death.
We agree!

DontHateOnNumber2
01-17-06, 09:29 AM
I heard about this on the news, as far as this crime being common as an initiation technique I think it isn't something to be proud of. They need to do stupid Van Wilder initiations (Ex: Jump from a ledge onto broken glass. The broken glass is really puffed Chee-tos.). That stuff is much safer, and funnier.

silverdsl
01-17-06, 09:36 AM
It is truly sad and insane what people will do to each other. :( :mad:

-Deborah

NYDCYankee
01-20-06, 04:29 AM
As I said I follow this stuff for a living, so here is an article regarding the widespread nature of this problem:

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/national/article/0,1406,KNS_350_4401032,00.html

Homeless attacks by young men national problem
3 incidents in Florida last week put spotlight on widespread issue

By CURT ANDERSON, Associated Press
January 20, 2006

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - A string of beatings of three homeless men in Fort Lauderdale in a single night last week has cast a spotlight on a brand of crime activists say has practically become sport among young people around the country.
Police say the attacks were carried out by a group of teenagers who piled into a car with baseball bats, a golf club and a paintball gun and went looking for homeless people to beat up.

From Florida to Alaska, dozens of homeless people are attacked each year, most often by white men under 20, according to the Washington-based National Coalition for the Homeless. Baseball bats are a favored weapon, as well as rocks, bricks, fists and feet, pellet guns and knives.

Three teenagers are charged with murder in the Jan. 12 beating death of 45-year-old Norris Gaynor, whose head and chest were bashed with a baseball bat while he slept on a park bench. He was also shot several times with yellow paintball slugs.

The same night, another man was assaulted with a golf club outside a nearby church. A third was bludgeoned with a bat outside a college building - an attack that was captured on surveillance video, which helped lead to the arrests. Both men were seriously injured.

"This will shine a very bright light on an issue that has been camouflaged and buried for a long time," said Marti Forman, chief executive of the Cooperative Feeding Program in Broward County.

The National Coalition for the Homeless has documented 386 attacks on the homeless during the past six years, including 156 deaths. Of the total number of attacks, 211 have been recorded since 2002.

The real numbers are probably much higher, because homeless people often cannot or will not go to the police, and the analysis is not an exhaustive look at every jurisdiction in the country, said Michael Stoops, executive director of the homeless coalition.

Advocates for the homeless say that in most cases, the attackers beat up the homeless for kicks, or out of contempt for the down-and-out.

Many homeless people say they live in fear of attack every night and often try to sleep somewhere well-lit or at least well-traveled.

In a series of interviews after the Florida attacks, each person had a story about being confronted or assaulted or knowing people who had been, often by groups of youths who seemed to enjoy what they were doing.

"You've got to sleep and be halfway awake at night," said Van Jackson, 53. "This case is the worst I've seen so far, but it does happen all the time."

Police in Fairbanks, Alaska, warned the homeless there to be extra vigilant in September after a series of attacks by groups of teenagers wielding baseball bats. A similar warning was issued in Sacramento, Calif., in June after at least four homeless people were hurt in BB gun shootings.

Homeless people were bashed with clubs in a series of summer attacks in Cheyenne, Wyo. And in Los Angeles, two 19-year-old men who said they were inspired by videos depicting fights between homeless people were arrested in August on charges of hitting people with aluminum baseball bats while they slept.

The Fort Lauderdale beating case might not have yielded any arrests and almost certainly would have gotten little attention if not for the video camera.

Brian Hooks and William Ammons, both 18, and Thomas Daugherty, 17, have been jailed on murder and assault charges. Hooks' lawyer has said the young man did not inflict any of the blows. Ammons has yet to hire a lawyer. Daugherty's attorney has not commented.

Stupid Flanders
01-20-06, 04:37 AM
I wish I could understand the rationale. I guess it;s people who have never had to work for their bread

NYDCYankee
01-20-06, 04:45 AM
I wish I could understand the rationale. I guess it;s people who have never had to work for their bread

Good observation, being that most of these attacks are done by young males.

Most likely they have seen "Bumfights" videos.

NYDCYankee
01-25-06, 05:00 AM
Looks like we have a copy cat. I told you guys this happens alot.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/story/385620p-327256c.html

Teen thugs film attack

In a sick sequel to the Florida fools who were videotaped beating a homeless man, four Philadelphia teens grabbed a camera, picked a victim at random and filmed themselves pounding the man to a pulp.
The victim, a Haitian immigrant, suffered a busted jaw and narrowly escaped being hit by a car before the teenage terrors were nabbed and charged with attempted murder.

"The sad thing is that it doesn't seem like it was a big deal to these kids," said Philadelphia police spokesman Lt. John Walker. "It was like they were making a documentary."

NYDCYankee
02-09-06, 05:24 AM
Story with a link to a news report of a police officer using mace and abusing a homeless man minding his own business.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/tv/stories/wfaa060208_mo_cityhall.a87d189.html

NYDCYankee
02-28-06, 12:39 AM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/states/florida/counties/broward_county/13976559.htm

Homeless coalition calls for boycott of Date Movie BY JENNIFER LEBOVICHjlebovich@MiamiHerald.comHomeless coalition calls for boycott of Date Movie over ''bum fight'' scene
Nearly two dozen people gathered at a Hollywood theater this afternoon to protest the recently released flick Date Movie.
The National Coalition for the Homeless is calling for a boycott of the film because of a scene where a girl yells ''Bum fight'' and her and her boyfriend proceed to beat a homeless man, according to protest organizers.
The scene reminded some of the recent beatings of three Broward County homeless men in the early morning hours of Jan. 12.''We were concerned,'' said Sean Cononie, director of South Florida Coalition for the Homeless. ``Usually people in Hollywood are quite compassionate. ... So we thought that maybe since these homeless people being beaten to death was on the national level, we hoped these producers would not have put it in the movie.''