PDA

View Full Version : Transfering Colleges

yanksconstantino24
01-13-06, 01:24 PM
Has anyone here ever transfered colleges before? If so, was the process really difficult? I'm currently miserable at the university I'm at right now, but I don't know if transfering is worth it, or is it better to just be miserable for the next two years?

gdn
01-13-06, 01:37 PM
No, I haven't. Sorry! From what I've heard, though, it can be an administrative hassle.

yanksconstantino24
01-13-06, 01:44 PM
No, I haven't. Sorry! From what I've heard, though, it can be an administrative hassle.

I kinda figured it would be, it was when I transfered high schools. But right now, I think I'm desperate enough to do anything. I totally hate my college.

gdn
01-13-06, 01:46 PM
I kinda figured it would be, it was when I transfered high schools. But right now, I think I'm desperate enough to do anything. I totally hate my college.You really should be in an environment where you're happy, otherwise it's a waste of time and money. If you'd be more comfortable transferring, go for it.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
01-13-06, 01:50 PM
First question to ask is, what are the reasons you are unhappy, and would they be resolved at a different school?

PinstripePride
01-13-06, 01:56 PM
I just transferred. This past semester was my first at my new place. I am so happy I made the move, and I can't tell you how close I was to not doing it. It wasn't hard at all for me. I did lose 7 credits, though.

yanksconstantino24
01-13-06, 01:59 PM
First question to ask is, what are the reasons you are unhappy, and would they be resolved at a different school?

My college is a liberal arts school, and because of that, I have to take almost three times as many English classes as I would in a school that is not listed as a liberal arts college. I've done fine in the basic English courses required everywhere, but the higher ones, I can't seem to do well in.

brosiusbuddy
01-13-06, 06:46 PM
Has anyone here ever transfered colleges before? If so, was the process really difficult? I'm currently miserable at the university I'm at right now, but I don't know if transfering is worth it, or is it better to just be miserable for the next two years?

I transferred from Eastern Ct State University to Florida Atlantic University. This is my 2nd semester here in Florida. If you're really miserable at your current school, you should DEFINITELY switch. I switched cause I was miserable and it's made a world of difference. Im in a much more energetic environment where I dont dread the day of classes ahead of me.

My advice to you though, is to get as much info as possible prior to making the switch. I kinda did it unprepared so it was a hassle to get everything straightened out once I got here and luckily I didnt lose any credits. Here, I'll make it easy.

1. Get in touch with an advisor in the transfer department and send him or her a transcript to find out if you will lose any credits.

2. Get all your forms in order (transcripts, medical records, etc) and have them ready to send to the new school. Any forms they'd need, your current school should have copies of.

3. Choose a fun new school and make sure they have your major (if you've decided) or a wide assortment of majors you're interested in. If you pick a school that doesn't have something you're interested in, you'd have to transfer again... which would suck :P

SoCal Pinstriper
01-13-06, 06:58 PM
i transferred from Wake Forest to U of Colorado at Boulder after my freshman year (which was a long tine ago). It was really no problem at all. I loved Boulder, and lived there for 20+years after graduating. Great move, no regrets.

JDPNYY
01-13-06, 07:33 PM
Philosophy Professors are generally the same where ever you go.

yanksconstantino24
01-13-06, 07:36 PM

I know there are philosophy professors everywhere, but none can be as bad as the one I had. She cancelled all three classes the week before the exam.

BTW, this coming semester will be her last.

NYYBombshell
01-13-06, 08:20 PM

I transferred from UIC to Georgia State when my family moved to Georgia and it was a piece of cake. I just sent my high school transcripts, my college transcripts from my freshman year and my ACT scores to the admissions office and it was done.

It took like, all of 15 minutes.

PinstripePride
01-14-06, 12:37 AM
I just want to comment on this again, cause in hindsight, my first reply is woefully inadequate. YC24: if you're unhappy, make a change. I am TERRIBLE with handling change - the worst of all people that I know. I just can't deal with it. When I got accepted to Villanova as a transfer, and was given 5 days to make a choice, they were the hardest 5 days in recent memory. There were so many factors at play, (giving up a scholarship at the old place was a huge part) and I was tearing my hair out. Ultimately I bit the bullet and made the move. Best decision I've ever made. There was a LOT of second guessing, not gonna deny that. My first few weeks here I thought I made the wrong choice. But now, with a semester under my belt, I couldn't be happier. I'll tell you what ton of people told me: bottom line - if you're unhappy, DO something about it, stick your neck out a bit. Even if the paperwork is tough (which is wasn't, my experience was similar to Bombshell's - I did all of mine in a day), better a day or two of work to save yourself a few years of lamenting.

So yea, that was my experience. I just wanted to give you a better idea of how I felt to try to help you out, considering it was a VERY tough choice for me and I was looking for help wherever I could find it. Good luck, and feel free to PM me.

penguin4
01-14-06, 12:47 AM
... and that is why I swore I'd *NEVER* take a philosophy class in college. Proud to say I was successful.:D

CanoForPresident
01-14-06, 12:48 AM
I transfered from Colgate to USC last year.

I didn't hate colgate, but USC has the best program for my major (filmic writing) and the vibe on campus was matched by no school that i have ever been too.

I suggest that you do some research and find the school which is right for you.

I also suggest that you check out USC, Life here (other than the lingering aftermath of the rose bowl)is awesome :)

if you have any questions about SC or transfering, PM me. I'll be more than glad to help.

yankeebot
01-14-06, 06:18 AM
Transferring is not really difficult but it is important that you really address why you want to transfer. If you are unhappy, please be very careful to ascertain that the reasons you are unhappy will be resolved with changing schools.

I changed schools twice. The first time for all the wrong reasons, the second time I got it right. Just proceed with caution. You deserve to enjoy your college experience.

PettittesPrincess
01-14-06, 03:30 PM
I transferred and it was a pretty easy process... actually I transferred twice sort of.

yanksconstantino24
01-14-06, 04:31 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice and sharing of experiences. I've decided that I'm staying at my current school for this semester, because its a little late to switch now. But, I'm going to begin looking seriously at other places.

keithf1
01-14-06, 05:18 PM
I'm in the process of transferring right now to UMD from UMBC. The work I have put in to is nothing compared to how happy I am about a fresh start at this new place.

Just make sure your credits transfer properly and since you have 2 years left, you probably aren't too far in to your major so you should be OK.

NYYfan24
01-14-06, 05:59 PM
I transferred and found it not terribly difficult. However, I lost a few credits and had to stay an extra semester. Good luck!

bleachersown
01-15-06, 12:10 AM
I transferred to Rutgers last spring from another Big East school, and I've been pretty happy with the results. I did end up losing six credits, but it wasn't the end of the world. Don't stay at a college that you'll be unhappy at for 4 years becuase, as many people say, it is the best time of one's life. On the subject of paperwork and whatnot, it wasn't too difficult to order a few sent transcripts and complete an easy online application. I just wish I wasn't leaving a scholarship behind...

bleachersown
01-15-06, 12:13 AM
I just transferred. This past semester was my first at my new place. I am so happy I made the move, and I can't tell you how close I was to not doing it. It wasn't hard at all for me. I did lose 7 credits, though.

Where did you transfer from?

PinstripePride
01-15-06, 12:25 AM
Where did you transfer from?

Babson college.

I transferred to Rutgers last spring

What year are you? I have a few freinds there.

bleachersown
01-15-06, 10:32 PM
Babson college.

What year are you? I have a few freinds there.

Sophomore

RhodeyYankee2638
01-15-06, 10:36 PM
Whats your major?

NYDCYankee
01-16-06, 12:50 AM
I transferred from SUNY Stonybrook to American University. And I am definitely glad that I did. AU was a thousands times better place to go to college.

I will say though making friends as a transfer is a little difficult. People generally form their cliques in Freshmen year and meet a ton of people in that time span. Transfers tend to be the outcasts but if you get involved in clubs and make friends with the other transfers you should be able to make some good friends.