PDA

View Full Version : The Rolling Stones Live

RhodeyYankee2638
01-13-06, 10:13 AM
I'm going to see them live for the first time tonight, maybe last cause they look like they are about to die. Anyone ever see them live, I assume they are great performers?

yankeebot
01-13-06, 10:16 AM
Unf................ing believable.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-13-06, 10:17 AM

sounds good

wexy
01-13-06, 10:19 AM
I saw them in 98 at Giants Stadium. They were very good. Foo Fighters opened.

NewAmsterdamYankee
01-13-06, 10:51 AM
I will see them in Amsterdam in August.
I hope that they'll still be alive by then.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-13-06, 10:56 AM
I saw them in 98 at Giants Stadium. They were very good. Foo Fighters opened.

The last half of their tour they had amazing bands opening for them (Metallica, Pearl Jam). I got some canadian band called Sloan

fredgmuggs
01-13-06, 11:07 AM
I saw the Stones' Steel Wheel concert film at an IMAX theater around 10 years ago. I still have nightmares from the image of a five story high close-up of Keith Richard's face.

Barb51850
01-13-06, 11:44 AM
I'm going to see them live for the first time tonight, maybe last cause they look like they are about to die. Anyone ever see them live, I assume they are great performers?

They ROCK!! I first saw them live 40 years ago, at Carnegie Hall of all places. I last saw them in 98.

JWHIII
01-13-06, 12:02 PM
I saw them 3 years ago at the Fleetcenter and the show they put on was out of this world. I'll be seeing them again this Sunday night, definitely looking forward to it.

LilChief
01-13-06, 12:06 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth...we just saw them a few months ago in Hartford. I can honestly saw I've never seen anything quite like it, and they looked VERY much alive! I was only a casual Stones fan, went at the last minute because friends of ours had 2 extra tix...Most AMAZING concert I've ever seen or imagined...ENJOY!:D

PettittesPrincess
01-13-06, 04:12 PM
One of my favorite concerts ever! Have fun!

LDG
01-13-06, 04:37 PM

When I saw them in Hartford several years ago (Bill Wyman was already gone), I went in with low expectations but they've still got it. Mick Jagger is part Energizer bunny. I've never seen someone his age RUN back and forth while singing and never sound out of breath. The band was excellent and the song selection was perfect, spanning their entire career. They played the old stuff like it just came out yesterday. Have a GREAT time!

Boogiedown Bomber
01-13-06, 05:01 PM
I saw them back in 1989, at Shea, and it was very loud! Then again, I was only 10 but it was an awesome concert. I wished I could have seen them in 72, 73, or 75.

RhodyYanksFan
01-13-06, 05:39 PM
I never liked them. They're one of the most over-rated bands of all time, but I'd still like to have seen them live. However there's no way I'm paying $200 face value for 300 level seats to watch these geezers "rock".

Regardless, have fun buddy.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-14-06, 02:44 PM
I just got back from my little trip. Good lord they are amazing showmen. They showcased a new staged which moved the band midshow to the other side of the arena to play. I have to go change my undies now

jdolbow
01-14-06, 02:48 PM
The Strolling Bones put on a great show.

LDG
01-14-06, 02:55 PM
I just got back from my little trip. Good lord they are amazing showmen. They showcased a new staged which moved the band midshow to the other side of the arena to play. I have to go change my undies now

What was the setlist like?

RhodeyYankee2638
01-14-06, 02:59 PM
What was the setlist like?

They played mostly all of their old hits, only a couple of their new songs. I was disappointed because they didn't play Paint it Black (which is hard to do live) and my favorite Stones Song (Ruby Tuesday). They played straight through for 2 hours and covered EVERYTHING they had

YankeePride1967
01-14-06, 03:07 PM
I saw them in 1999 and they were great. However, I refuse to pay more than $100 for a concert ticket again. I've seen every act that I wanted to see once.

JDPNYY
01-14-06, 03:07 PM
...yeah, it is pretty amazing that they still are.

SoCal Pinstriper
01-14-06, 05:01 PM
Glad you had fun. I saw them in 1978 and 1981, but not since. Good to hear that they are still breathing fire (or at least breathing).

jonnyc39
01-14-06, 05:22 PM
I never liked them. They're one of the most over-rated bands of all time, but I'd still like to have seen them live. However there's no way I'm paying $200 face value for 300 level seats to watch these geezers "rock".

Regardless, have fun buddy.
The Stones are the best rock band in the world and have been for quite some time now, IMO. Who's better?

LDG
01-14-06, 06:43 PM
They played mostly all of their old hits, only a couple of their new songs. I was disappointed because they didn't play Paint it Black (which is hard to do live) and my favorite Stones Song (Ruby Tuesday). They played straight through for 2 hours and covered EVERYTHING they had

Was Mick all over the place on stage? I couldn't believe how much real estate he covered when I saw them!

RhodeyYankee2638
01-14-06, 06:56 PM
Was Mick all over the place on stage? I couldn't believe how much real estate he covered when I saw them!

Yeah he was. I think he takes speed, he's all over the place

NYYBombshell
01-14-06, 06:58 PM
I'd love to see them, but tickets went fast. The same thing happened when U2 came to town last November. I tried to get tickets for either of the two shows and they were gone pretty fast.

RhodyYanksFan
01-16-06, 01:52 PM
The Stones are the best rock band in the world and have been for quite some time now, IMO. Who's better?

Clapton, Hendrix, U2, Metallica, Allman Bros (not anymore) are all more talented and have catchier/better songs then the Rolling Stones. Just because for some miracle none of the Stones have died yet doesn't mean the're still a great band.

IMO they never deserved to be put on the platform above all other bands with the Beatles.

JfromJersey
01-16-06, 02:10 PM

I think they're one of the most overrated live bands of all time. Take away all the props and stage effects, and they are both musically and vocally, a very average band. I went to one of their Garden concerts, and came away very impressed with the production and very unimpressed with the music.

#1PaFan
01-16-06, 03:36 PM
Clapton, Hendrix, U2, Metallica, Allman Bros (not anymore) are all more talented and have catchier/better songs then the Rolling Stones. Just because for some miracle none of the Stones have died yet doesn't mean the're still a great band.

IMO they never deserved to be put on the platform above all other bands with the Beatles.

Brian Jones died.

RhodyYanksFan
01-16-06, 03:55 PM
Brian Jones died.

He wasn't important.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-16-06, 04:01 PM
He wasn't important.

Really? He found the band

yankeebot
01-16-06, 04:04 PM
He wasn't important.He was before he died.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-16-06, 04:09 PM

Thats also kinda hypocritical considering Clapton probably shouldn't be alivee either because of 20+ years of cocaine abuse

RhodyYanksFan
01-16-06, 04:11 PM
Thats also kinda hypocritical considering Clapton probably shouldn't be alivee either because of 20+ years of cocaine abuse

Regardless, it's always the Beatles & the Stones and then everybody else. All I'm saying is that the Stones are not deserving of being up on that pedastal above all other bands. Just because you are around for 40 years (of which 25 of them were really, really bad) doesn't mean you're the best ever.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-16-06, 04:29 PM
Regardless, it's always the Beatles & the Stones and then everybody else. All I'm saying is that the Stones are not deserving of being up on that pedastal above all other bands. Just because you are around for 40 years (of which 25 of them were really, really bad) doesn't mean you're the best ever.

Would Hendrix have been the best if he made it past 30? Probably. But he didn't. The Stones have done 2 things that other bands have trouble doing: writing their own songs and staying power. I guess everyone has their own opinion, but Richards is considered to be one of the greatest guitarists of all-time and Charlie Watts is considered one of the most influential drummers in music history.

Sam2448
01-16-06, 10:54 PM
Brian Jones was actually extremely important to The Stones. He founded the band like someone already pointed out, and before he died, he was the leader and dictated the musical direction. He was kind of like Syd Barrett was for Pink Floyd. He was the leader and a creative genius, but after he died, the band changed their sound and became much more popular and found more commercial success. When you think of The Stones or Pink Floyd, you don't think of Brian Jones or Syd Barrett right away, but they were the original leaders. That's what drugs can do to you though. After George Harrison though, Brian Jones is one of the most versatile and talented musicians ever though, really, really overlooked.

I'm a big Stones fan, but I'd take The Who, The Beatles, Bob Dylan and maybe Pink Floyd over them. I appreciate The Rolling Stones for their brilliance in the sixties and seventies though, not because they've been around for 40 years. Longevity is good but in the last 25 years, the Stones have accomplished very little so I don't think that should factor into their greatness.

Edit- And there are many, many more talented bands than The Rolling Stones. I don't want to make it sound like I'm bashing them, since they are one of my top 5 bands, but I just don't feel that they're the greatest band ever like they proclaim.