PDA

View Full Version : Question about booking hostels

Bernie51
01-12-06, 09:13 PM
I made a post a while ago about my backpacking trip to Europe and I was wondering if I should book my hostels now or just wait until I get to Europe and just check-in on the spot? Here's the thing. I have an idea of where I'm going but the amount of time spent at a specific country is what I'm not sure on. And then there's the possibility that plans might completely change and I don't want to stay at country x and would rather go to country y. Will I really save that much if I book earlier or is it just a complete waste?

RhodeyYankee2638
01-12-06, 09:37 PM
what the hell is a hostel

IncredibleByNature
01-12-06, 09:40 PM
what the hell is a hostel

A movie. Haven't you seen the previews, Rhodey?

;)

Arod for President
01-12-06, 09:56 PM
wow what a crazy time to ask a question about booking a Hostel... Just when some Psycho crazy killer movie named Hostel comes out you go and ask a question like that?!?! haha

DiMaggio5CF
01-12-06, 10:22 PM
All I know about hostels is that if you're sharing a room with two girls who go to the spa, run like hell.

Yankeeah
01-12-06, 10:27 PM
Don't you just go there and get a room?

By the way, coming from someone who loves bad horror movies, Eli Roth should give everyone their money back who paid to see that movie.

penfold
01-13-06, 02:05 AM
I did this (mumble) years ago... If you're going to a city that's large/popular and you're going during peak season (i.e., summer) then definitely book ahead. Most places aren't that tough and sometimes you can call a day or two before. But if you're talking major cities like Paris, London, Berlin, etc. then I'd HIGHLY recommend calling at least a couple weeks in advance.

Mark19
01-13-06, 02:19 AM
Book in advance, I spend August 2004 through June 2005 all over Europe and it is shocking how expensive youth hostels can become if you need a place to sleep on short notice. During summer months or during big festivals, rooms become especially scarce.
My advice, especially in cities like Paris, Rome or Amsterdam is to spend the extra money (it should be minimal) on a hotel room rather than a potentially dangerous and dingey hostel bunk.
In less popular countries like those in Scandanavia or in the Balkans, hostels are usually the smartest, cheapest and most interesting way to experience your desination. If you are sticking to the Big 5 (UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain) book in advance, do your homework and know when to bite the bullet on an actual hotel room.

NYDCYankee
01-13-06, 02:25 AM
This is a good site to find what you are looking for, BTW hostels are great.

http://www.hostelworld.com/

Kulish29
01-13-06, 03:46 AM
You should try Bratislava. I hear it's nice in the spring.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
01-13-06, 06:49 AM
I would suggest some reasearch on the web and some guide books and then book the nicer and more well reviews hostels now. Few reasons why:

1) they book fast and you can be stuck with noplace to stay
2) you can book private rooms at some places
3) you know what to expect in terms of how nice the place is

I did 3 weeks in New Zealand only in hostels, and truth is, some of them were nicer and more pleasant than hotels I've stayed at in the states.

MisterNovember
01-13-06, 06:53 AM
I did my backpacking EuroTrip in the middle of January (almost exactly a year ago, actually), and we had no problem finding available hostels. However, it was very obviously off-season. Everything was super-cheap, but if I could do it again I'd spend some more and go over the summer (Prague is not a pleasant place in mid-January).

I'm told if you go "in-season" (probably May-October), hostels will fill up quickly and you can be stuck with no place to stay. I'd recommend trying to book in advance.