PDA

View Full Version : MLB '06: The Show

Kulish29
01-10-06, 05:55 PM
Although 2K Games has the exclusive MLB rights to publish 3rd party baseball games (I hate them), there will be another baseball game coming out.

989 Sports is able to come out with a version of an MLB game because it is owned by Sony and is considered a first party publisher.

I for one will pick this up. I picked up last years 989 game and although it wasnt graphically up to snuff with MVP, it was a fun game to play, and in a lot of ways, more realistic as it didnt really have the arcade feel that MVP has to it (the catcher also throws the ball back to the pitcher in this game after the ball is pitched unlike MVP, a minor thing I know, but it still bugs me). I'll probably pick up MVP '06 as well because I'm a baseball video game nut. :)

MLB '06: The Show Official Site (http://www.us.playstation.com/Content/OGS/SCUS-97500/Site/)

DontHateOnNumber2
01-10-06, 06:20 PM
Well looks like I'll be stuck with 2k6. I own an XBox.

Kulish29
01-10-06, 06:21 PM
Well, if you want to play with MLB teams, then yes. But EA is making the MVP '06: Road to Omaha for all platforms, so you can still play that.

Sam18
01-10-06, 07:06 PM
I had MLB 2004, it was great. I loved the gameplay.

keithf1
01-11-06, 12:18 PM
When's Playstation 3 come out?

DontHateOnNumber2
01-12-06, 12:03 PM
Well, if you want to play with MLB teams, then yes. But EA is making the MVP '06: Road to Omaha for all platforms, so you can still play that.

That's the thing, I do want to play with MLB teams so I will be getting 2K6. As for MVP NCAA I don't see myself getting that game at all as I'm more interested in minor league baseball than college level. I let this forum tell me about the high school/college players. :)

yanksphan
01-12-06, 12:06 PM
The screenshots look good. Specially the one of A-Rod being held back by Varitek from charging the mound.

BronxBombers2005
01-12-06, 03:50 PM
The screenshots look good. Specially the one of A-Rod being held back by Varitek from charging the mound.

Where did you find that??

NelsonMuntz
03-05-06, 07:51 PM
I bought MLB '06: The Show today. The graphics, audio and game play are pretty amazing. Worth noting is that Wang and Dotel are not on the Yankees roster. I can understand Dotel since he was an offseason signing and he won't even be on their active roster to start the season, but I wonder why Wang is not on the team? Is he not in the MLBPA Union?

True Yankee-ette13
03-05-06, 08:07 PM
I bought MLB '06: The Show today. The graphics, audio and game play are pretty amazing. Worth noting is that Wang and Dotel are not on the Yankees roster. I can understand Dotel since he was an offseason signing and he won't even be on their active roster to start the season, but I wonder why Wang is not on the team? Is he not in the MLBPA Union?

I have nothing to say about this video game, but I had to come in here and say that the quote on your sig is very interesting, I like it.

yankeesrule2000
03-05-06, 08:25 PM
I got this game today, i think it is awesome

NelsonMuntz
03-05-06, 09:17 PM
I have nothing to say about this video game, but I had to come in here and say that the quote on your sig is very interesting, I like it.
Thanks cutie. Happy belated B-day BTW.

DeputyFife
03-05-06, 09:46 PM
I rented it yesterday, and I like it. I think I liked MVP05 better though, but it will do.

NelsonMuntz
03-06-06, 12:32 AM
I just played the Phillies and faced John Lieber, and I realized that Lieber doesn't throw a sinker in MLB 06. Isn't that his best pitch?

Kulish29
03-06-06, 03:16 AM

Wang's on the team. He's on the inactive roster.

I bought this game too. I like it. Some of the batting stances are, well, off (David Ortiz's is just not right) but it's a fun game to play.

NelsonMuntz
03-06-06, 10:13 AM
Wang's on the team. He's on the inactive roster.

I bought this game too. I like it. Some of the batting stances are, well, off (David Ortiz's is just not right) but it's a fun game to play.
That's odd that they would have Small on the active roster and Wang on the inactive. But thanks for the info. I guess I need to play around with it some more. I've only played the "Quick Play" games so far. I had a hell of a time trying to spot Randy Johnson's slider the first time I played. It has a lot of movement on it. And Posada can't block any ball in the dirt.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-06-06, 10:43 AM
That's odd that they would have Small on the active roster and Wang on the inactive. But thanks for the info. I guess I need to play around with it some more. I've only played the "Quick Play" games so far. I had a hell of a time trying to spot Randy Johnson's slider the first time I played. It has a lot of movement on it. And Posada can't block any ball in the dirt.

I thought it was only released for the PSP already. So it is out for the PS2 as well? Just curious.

NelsonMuntz
03-06-06, 11:29 AM
I thought it was only released for the PSP already. So it is out for the PS2 as well? Just curious.
Yep. It's out for PS2. I got it at Best Buy. I'm pretty sure they have it at Wal-Mart as well.

BillBuckner
03-06-06, 07:14 PM
Just bought it today. I played for like 20 minutes before I had to go to work. The gameplay is pretty simular to MVP, except no throwing meter playing the field, you can hit x for a regular swing and squre for a power swing, guess the pitch and location, and the pitching and baserunning controls are a little different. But the overall appearance of the game is outstanding. It does a great job of capturing the atmosphere of the ballpark and game. I can't wait until I get off in 2 hours and go back and play some more. Work sucks.

BillBuckner
03-06-06, 07:18 PM
Just like in the old 989 Sports games, the location of the pitch doesnt end up where you aim it. You have to factor in the movement. For example, of you aim right down the middle and throw a fastball, it'll probably end up somewhere around where you aimed it because it's a stright pitch. But if you aim RJ's slider directly in the middle, it'll end up going inside.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-07-06, 10:00 AM
Any Yankees fans going to look for custom covers? You really don't want to see Big Ugly everytime you see the cover do you? Just wondering. :D

BillBuckner
03-08-06, 09:00 AM
Has anyone played the Dynasty? Wow, talk about detail. You can literally control how much fertilizer you put the on grass!

DontHateOnNumber2
03-08-06, 09:02 AM
Has anyone played the Dynasty? Wow, talk about detail. You can literally control how much fertilizer you put the on grass!
If you put a lot what happens? Thicker, greener grass? Smelly outfield? Dump extra in left field when the Red Sox go to play...Manny will feel right at home. :D

DontHateOnNumber2
03-08-06, 09:03 AM
To BillBuckner: You seem to be in love with this game, and I have no clue as to what it even looks like. Think MAYBE you can get attach some screencaps of it on here? I still wonder what they have Johnny Damon and Robbie looking like...thanks!

NelsonMuntz
03-08-06, 09:44 AM
I love the attention to detail in this game. When you play at Yankee Stadium, you can hear the crowd doing roll call in the first inning.

Kulish29
03-08-06, 09:56 AM
To BillBuckner: You seem to be in love with this game, and I have no clue as to what it even looks like. Think MAYBE you can get attach some screencaps of it on here? I still wonder what they have Johnny Damon and Robbie looking like...thanks!

Johnny Damon looks like he should, no beard, short hair. Although, his batting stance doesnt seem right. Cano looks ok. His batting stance wasnt right either, but luckily you can change it and there was one that looks exactly like his.

BillBuckner
03-08-06, 01:06 PM
I love the attention to detail in this game. When you play at Yankee Stadium, you can hear the crowd doing roll call in the first inning.
There is something like 35,000 different sayings by the boradcast team too. When I played Cleveland at Yankee Stadium, when Boone came to bat the announcer said, "Here's someone who'll always get a warm welcome at Yankee Stadium, Aaron Boone."

BillBuckner
03-08-06, 01:09 PM
Check out the site and click screen shots.
http://www.us.playstation.com/Content/OGS/SCUS-97500/Site/

yankeesAZ
03-08-06, 01:17 PM
Johnny Damon looks like he should, no beard, short hair. Although, his batting stance doesnt seem right. Cano looks ok. His batting stance wasnt right either, but luckily you can change it and there was one that looks exactly like his.

It took 2K Sports 2 years to give him long hair, so I'm guess he'll be in long hair this year when the game comes out.

Kulish29
03-08-06, 01:20 PM
It took 2K Sports 2 years to give him long hair, so I'm guess he'll be in long hair this year when the game comes out.

I'd be pissed if I bought the game and that were the case. The one thing I never understood is that, games wont let you alter the players appearence. They'll let you change the batting stance and everything else. But, their appearence (face, hair, body) cannot be touched.

Kulish29
03-08-06, 01:21 PM
Oh, and for anyone who is as anal as me with batting stances, David Ortiz's batting stance in this game should be (I believe) Generic 8. I'll check when I get home. I'll also check Cano's too.

Arod for President
03-08-06, 03:13 PM

This game is pretty cool I bought it 2 weeks ago. Still havnt put it down yet

SwissYankeesFan
03-08-06, 05:40 PM
You guys are lucky.

I would love to give this game a try. But this game is not planned to come out as a european version for my PS2...

But I'm still having fun on MVP05 on PC. This one is a really cool game, I like it very much !

BillBuckner
03-08-06, 07:47 PM
I just beaned Varitek with Johnson and got tossed from the game. The announcer said, "And the Big Unit gets the Big Thumb!" :lol:

Snatch Catch
03-08-06, 07:56 PM
I love the commercial for this game with the washed up, former prospect who bowls. The noise he makes when he hits pins is hilarious.

BronxByTheBay
03-08-06, 07:58 PM
How does this game stack up against MVP? I've been jonesing to play some videogame baseball and trade Bernie Williams for Albert Pujols straight up. :D

NYYRules#1
03-09-06, 12:20 AM
My only question is what the hell 2K Sports will do in 2010. MLB 2K10? How about years down the road? MLB 2K32? With Derek Jeter, Jr. on the cover?

Wonder if upper management thought about that one. ;)

I don't mind them doing the 2Kwhatever thing, it is original and pretty cool, but I hate how they named their entire video game line after that. I hate how "2K Sports" as a product name sounds. Sounds like Tookie Sports, or tookin' sports. Either smoking pot or a major gang leader who was executed... good move. So now I have to rag on it now that they have no exit option and are forever committed to doing "2Kwhatever" even if it's 2134, in which case we'll get MLB 2K134. Sucks for them.

MisterNovember
03-10-06, 02:30 AM
How does this game stack up against MVP? I've been jonesing to play some videogame baseball and trade Bernie Williams for Albert Pujols straight up. :D

Bought it yesterday. It's OK, but doesn't hold a candle to MVP 2005. It's nice to be able to play as Wang, Cano, etc., but that doesn't make up for the inferior graphics and play control.

That being said, the "Career" mode is worth the $40 in itself. I created myself as a pitcher who was designated to AA after spring training, and its tons of fun working your way up to "The Show". Why the MVP series never though of this feature is beyond me.

BronxByTheBay
03-10-06, 09:31 AM
Bought it yesterday. It's OK, but doesn't hold a candle to MVP 2005. It's nice to be able to play as Wang, Cano, etc., but that doesn't make up for the inferior graphics and play control.

That being said, the "Career" mode is worth the $40 in itself. I created myself as a pitcher who was designated to AA after spring training, and its tons of fun working your way up to "The Show". Why the MVP series never though of this feature is beyond me.

I also picked it up. It's awful in my opinion. Even if MVP didn't exist it would be awful. The pitching interface is horrible. They use the MVP meter, but it seems to be a guess as to where the pitch will end up and how hard you'll throw it from pitch to pitch. The hitting doesn't feel right. All in all it's a reminder why I rarely bother to buy games anymore.

gdn
03-10-06, 09:50 AM

That being said, the "Career" mode is worth the $40 in itself. I created myself as a pitcher who was designated to AA after spring training, and its tons of fun working your way up to "The Show". Why the MVP series never though of this feature is beyond me.I really wish the 2K series had that feature. I'd love to play as a minor league pitcher working my way up to the big leagues. :(

MisterNovember
03-10-06, 11:54 AM
I also picked it up. It's awful in my opinion. Even if MVP didn't exist it would be awful. The pitching interface is horrible. They use the MVP meter, but it seems to be a guess as to where the pitch will end up and how hard you'll throw it from pitch to pitch. The hitting doesn't feel right. All in all it's a reminder why I rarely bother to buy games anymore.

The worst part is that the strikezone seems to be totally arbitrary from pitch to pitch. I know they are trying to work in some "realism" (with blown calls, etc), but after awhile it just gets annoying.

I'm not sure I'd classify MLB06 as "awful", but its definitely a step back from the MVP games.

MisterNovember
03-10-06, 11:56 AM
I just beaned Varitek with Johnson and got tossed from the game. The announcer said, "And the Big Unit gets the Big Thumb!" :lol:

How do you bean someone? I tried to plunk Tejada after he hit two homers off my prospect in Career Mode, but I kept throwing behind him.

BillBuckner
03-10-06, 01:18 PM
How do you bean someone? I tried to plunk Tejada after he hit two homers off my prospect in Career Mode, but I kept throwing behind him.
It happens to me sometimes too. You just have to aim right, somehow. Keep at it!

BillBuckner
03-10-06, 01:21 PM
I just traded Pavano for Pettitte staight up in my dynasty (don't know why they took it). In his first game he threw a complete game, 6 hits, 1 run, and 13 strikeouts. :)

MisterNovember
03-10-06, 01:39 PM
I just traded Pavano for Pettitte staight up in my dynasty (don't know why they took it). In his first game he threw a complete game, 6 hits, 1 run, and 13 strikeouts. :)

Speaking of which, where the hell is Clemens in this game? They have his pitching movement (I used it for my created player), but I can't seem to find him. Weird.

BronxByTheBay
03-10-06, 01:54 PM
Is there anything out there to suggest that 2k6 will be a decent alternative to MVP? Anything?

I'm so depressed about all of this. :(

gdn
03-10-06, 01:56 PM
Is there anything out there to suggest that 2k6 will be a decent alternative to MVP? Anything?

I'm so depressed about all of this. :(No. I was excited for a bit, then I got the NCAA game which uses similar pitching and hitting technology (the analog stick) and I absolutely hate it. They've introduced some new "payoff pitch" feature, but the pitch locator disappears after 3 seconds, so you can't even locate. Ugh.

Sam18
03-16-06, 02:07 PM
Just bought it yesterday. Its ok. Nothing compared to MVP.

grabick_luca
03-16-06, 04:20 PM
anyone know the release date for mlb 2kb for xbox?

NewEraYanks2527
03-18-06, 12:03 AM
Just bought it yesterday. Its ok. Nothing compared to MVP. I'll put my money towards Black or The Godfather then, whichever I dont get for my birthday.

BillBuckner
03-18-06, 10:26 AM
I'll put my money towards Black or The Godfather then, whichever I dont get for my birthday.
The Godfather looks amazing. Too bad I'm broke.

gdn
03-18-06, 10:41 AM
anyone know the release date for mlb 2kb for xbox?As of now, it's April 10th or something.

Sam18
03-20-06, 12:14 PM
I'll put my money towards Black or The Godfather then, whichever I dont get for my birthday.

Save your money for a PS3 and Guns of the Patriots. ;)