PDA

View Full Version : This is an actual sign that I saw today (not funny, just sad for the human race)

DiMaggio5CF
01-10-06, 04:39 PM
So I walk into my local K-Mart today to return an item, and while I'm standing at the customer service counter, I look down and see this sign taped to the counter . . .

DUE TO A SHIPPING DEALY THE WOMENS'S BE SANDALS MARKED AS 2/$12 IN THE 1/8 AD MY NOT BE AVAILABLE IN ALL STORES.:giveup:

The first "BE" might be a brand name, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on that, but the rest more than makes up for it.

I just laughed and shook my head. I understand that the English language might not be your strong point, but when you're in a business setting and you're trying to communicate something to your customers, you have to get it right. The entire corporation of K-Mart looks a little more silly to me now because of this one sign.

I was going to say something about it, but I wasn't sure who wrote it.

Then, after the return had been completed, the lady behind the counter kept my original receipt, and I asked to make sure that I didn't need the receipt for anything else.

So she checked it, and the only other item on there was milk, to which she replied, "I'm pretty sure you done dranked the milk by now."

I done dranked the milk? Mystery solved.

gdn
01-10-06, 04:44 PM
Dealy?
Womens's
My.

My, my, my....

NYYBombshell
01-10-06, 04:45 PM
Some people in this country are so stupid, it makes me laugh.

JWHIII
01-10-06, 05:06 PM
Reminds me of the girl at the liquor store by my house that refused to accept that 10 $2 scratch tickets cost $20. There's a reason some people will always work for the minimum wage.

Sam18
01-10-06, 05:21 PM
I think I may have written that sign.

corynnmarie
01-10-06, 05:26 PM
I always get a kick out of the fact that people who don't have English as their first language usually write it and speak it better than those of us who do.

montrealer
01-10-06, 05:31 PM
I think I may have written that sign.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Tanhk God ...yuo olny hvae to wrok ni eno Lganue.....Hree we hvea to kwon tow ot gte a jbo.Is`t Hlel bieng Blinigaul. ;)

Casey at the Bat
01-10-06, 05:32 PM
At school recently, we had to wait in line to buy our parking permits, and the sign that pointed to the prepaid line said "Perpaid permits here." Since the lines were a minimum of one hour long, we were pretty cranky by the time we got close enough to actually read the sign. Someone had actually crossed out "perpaid" and spelled it correctly, then added in big words "This is suppossed to be a University!" We all got a good chuckle by the end of our hour wait.

Sam18
01-10-06, 05:34 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Tanhk God ...yuo olny hvae to wrok ni eno Lganue.....Hree we hvea to kwon tow ot gte a jbo.Is`t Hlel bing Blinigaul. ;)

Yep. Uh huh. That's right.
*nods*

gdn
01-10-06, 05:36 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Tanhk God ...yuo olny hvae to wrok ni eno Lganue.....Hree we hvea to kwon tow ot gte a jbo.Is`t Hlel bing Blinigaul. ;):looking:

Sam18
01-10-06, 05:38 PM
:looking:

Yeah Jake kinda got wierd at the end there. I think he got more and more sober as he typed that. Poor guy needs his liquor.

NYYRules#1
01-10-06, 05:51 PM
I saw a shirt today that said "Streets is Talking". An actual shirt made by an actual company, it's not like the guy made it himself.

This all reminds me of the time I was passing by a local community college, and they had a sign that said "Clases now starting". Some people are just dumb.

Archer1979
01-10-06, 08:00 PM
One of my kids had a stomach bug a week or so ago. When he threw up his alphabet soup, he was actually closer to the actual spelling than that sign.

He also had spelled out one of Sam's posts.

gdn
01-10-06, 08:27 PM
Or like that commercial for a cell-phone company:

"Where you at?"

I at my house.

Casey37
01-10-06, 08:28 PM
DUE TO A SHIPPING DEALY THE WOMENS'S BE SANDALS MARKED AS 2/$12 IN THE 1/8 AD MY NOT BE AVAILABLE IN ALL STORES.

The scary part is that this was probably written by a manager.

JDPNYY
01-10-06, 09:47 PM
Damn. I wanted those sandals.

Mark19
01-10-06, 11:16 PM
If you want to see a truly horrendous assault on the english language you should go to the YES network forum.

brosiusbuddy
01-10-06, 11:37 PM
Some people in this country are so stupid, it makes me laugh.

I hate to say it, but if you are calling the customer service lady at Kmart stupid, then your comment is whats really stupid.

So a woman uses improper english and she is stupid? Stupid is a chosen trait. People who are stupid are people who get themselves in trouble because they fail to think before they act.

K-Mart isn't exactly a job that requires a degree. Who knows what kinds of disadvantages that woman and the employees there faced that kept them from receiving an education.

She very well may have chosen to not stay in school or strive for better things, but whats "stupid" is to assume and judge other people.

Sam18
01-11-06, 12:34 AM
I hate to say it, but if you are calling the customer service lady at Kmart stupid, then your comment is whats really stupid.

So a woman uses improper english and she is stupid? Stupid is a chosen trait. People who are stupid are people who get themselves in trouble because they fail to think before they act.

K-Mart isn't exactly a job that requires a degree. Who knows what kinds of disadvantages that woman and the employees there faced that kept them from receiving an education.

She very well may have chosen to not stay in school or strive for better things, but whats "stupid" is to assume and judge other people.

:clap: :clap:

PeteRFNY
01-11-06, 12:50 AM
I take the position of Forrest Gump's momma - stupid is as stupid does.

One thing that drives me criminally insane is how many people misuse the apostrophe 's'. I can't tell you how many times I see dopey things...like a sign in a local diner restroom that reads, "Employee's Must Wash Hands".

I also have seen "Restroom for Customer's Only"...and every day I ride the "Shuttle Bus for Employee's Only".

Is it really THAT difficult???

NYYBombshell
01-11-06, 02:23 AM
I hate to say it, but if you are calling the customer service lady at Kmart stupid,

I wasn't talking about her, so the rest of your post is now moot.

WashingtonYankee
01-11-06, 02:31 AM
And that's why I don't shop at Wal-Mart.

Sam18
01-11-06, 03:11 AM
I wasn't talking about her, so the rest of your post is now moot.

Then that makes your original post completely offtopic and random.

NYYBombshell
01-11-06, 03:20 AM
Then that makes your original post completely offtopic and random.

Wrong again.

I was talking about the sign posted about the shoes.

Sam18
01-11-06, 03:28 AM
Wrong again.

I was talking about the sign posted about the shoes.

Isn't that what brosiusbuddy was talking about too?

NYYBombshell
01-11-06, 03:35 AM
Isn't that what brosiusbuddy was talking about too?

No, he was talking about the female cashier saying "you done dranked the milk". He kept saying "she" throughout the entire post, so it's obvious he wasn't referring to the written sign.

Sam18
01-11-06, 03:45 AM
No, he was talking about the female cashier saying "you done dranked the milk". He kept saying "she" throughout the entire post, so it's obvious he wasn't referring to the written sign.

Oh I see, BIG difference. Carry on.

effdamets
01-11-06, 08:54 AM
I saw a shirt today that said "Streets is Talking". An actual shirt made by an actual company, it's not like the guy made it himself.

This all reminds me of the time I was passing by a local community college, and they had a sign that said "Clases now starting". Some people are just dumb.
I don't think that it's "people are just dumb" anymore, I believe it's "people just don't give a sh*t anymore".!!!!!!

In "grammar" school (I don't know if we should be using that description for school any longer...) if we said something that was not in tune with the ENGLISH language, such as "Where's the library at?", or "My father, he went...", we got reprimanded for it! Sh*t, if we pronounced a word incorrectly, like "picture" (not pitcher), we got scolded.... Now, I'm not so sure that happens anymore. I have a young daughter that comes home and starts speaking a tongue that I do not condone (aks instead of ask, or 'where you be' instead of 'where are you') and I start screaming at her... When I really should be screaming at the lazy-a$$ed teachers that take the job just so they don't have to work during the summers! Or, maybe I should be screaming at society for allowing this type of language to be remotely acceptable!

Casey at the Bat
01-11-06, 09:03 AM
...When I really should be screaming at the lazy-a$$ed teachers that take the job just so they don't have to work during the summers!

I don't think such a thing exists really. If you saw the amount of work we do, and then the amount of money we get paid, and the materials we are left to do the work with, you would realize that lazy people cannot become teachers. Its too much work.

Most teachers I know work summer school. If they don't, many of them have no income coming in for three months.

mr. baskums
01-11-06, 09:04 AM
Like someone else wrote, I think it's just a matter of not really caring. Once again I stopped at the Dunkin' Donuts drive thru yesterday, requested a medium coffee with Slenda, no cream. The clerk asked if I wanted cream and sugar to which I replied, no cream just Splenda.

Bet you can't guess what I actually received. And yet these people just received a $.75 raise, more than what I've gotten in two and a half years. :giveup:

LilChief
01-11-06, 09:12 AM
I think it's a combination of things really...some people don't care, or are lazy about the way they speak or write, others just don't know any better. Whose fault that is could take up an entire new thread.

effdamets
01-11-06, 09:19 AM
I don't think such a thing exists really. If you saw the amount of work we do, and then the amount of money we get paid, and the materials we are left to do the work with, you would realize that lazy people cannot become teachers. Its too much work.

Most teachers I know work summer school. If they don't, many of them have no income coming in for three months.
I didn't say all teachers were this way, so please don't take it personally.

However, I FIRMLY believe that teachers mold the youth of this country. (my best friend's wife is a teacher and can attest to this) I have ALWAYS believed that since these teachers are such an integral part of this country's future, that they should be paid very hansomely. Almost as well as a doctor, let's say. BUT..... It should be difficult to become a teacher AND remain a teacher. None of this 3 years and tenured stuff.... Maybe tenure should come after 5 or 7 years. And I beleive that teachers need to take a test, often, to remain a certified teacher, let's say every other year.

Let's face it, the teacher that is runnning up on retirement is not nearly as motivated when he/she first started at the profession. And you being a teacher, take a look around, see which people are 'just putting in their time'....

gdn
01-11-06, 09:22 AM
Guess where all this comes from? Parents and the surrounding environment. I think teaching is a thankless job and while there certainly can be improvements, I'm not surprised that the most qualified teachers don't want to work too long (what with the pay and all).

Parents need to step up too. There's no such thing as parents taking responsibility anymore.

effdamets
01-11-06, 09:24 AM
Guess where all this comes from? Parents and the surrounding environment. I think teaching is a thankless job and while there certainly can be improvements, I'm not surprised that the most qualified teachers don't want to work too long (what with the pay and all).

Parents need to step up too. There's no such thing as parents taking responsibility anymore.
I totally agree with you... I guess that is the reason I scream at my kid when she speaks that 'e-bonics'.... The problem is, that not enough parents care therefore, this behavior becomes overwhelming to a teacher and ultimately, acceptable.

gdn
01-11-06, 09:31 AM
I totally agree with you... I guess that is the reason I scream at my kid when she speaks that 'e-bonics'.... The problem is, that not enough parents care therefore, this behavior becomes overwhelming to a teacher and ultimately, acceptable.I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. Obviously, not all parents do a bad job, just that you see more and more instances of it.

effdamets
01-11-06, 09:33 AM
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. Obviously, not all parents do a bad job, just that you see more and more instances of it.
I did say "not enough parents".... I didn't mean for it to sound as if all parents suck, because that is not what I intended to say....

AMC
01-11-06, 09:56 AM
The Dunkin Donuts in my old neighborhood had a huge sign over their store for several years that read "Dunkin Dounts". Now, this was a major business/franchise that had the name of their store spelled incorrectly and they never bothered to fix it for a long time. Now that's pretty pathetic. :P

Casey at the Bat
01-11-06, 10:01 AM
BUT..... It should be difficult to become a teacher AND remain a teacher. None of this 3 years and tenured stuff.... Maybe tenure should come after 5 or 7 years. And I beleive that teachers need to take a test, often, to remain a certified teacher, let's say every other year.

Let's face it, the teacher that is runnning up on retirement is not nearly as motivated when he/she first started at the profession. And you being a teacher, take a look around, see which people are 'just putting in their time'....

1. While I can truly see your point, if teachers had to be tested every other year, there would be an even larger shortage of teachers than their already is. You have to jump through several hoops just to become a teacher, if we had to continue jumping the whole time, most (including me) would decide that it wasn't worth it, and would find another profession.

2. When I look around my school, I see mostly new teachers (between 5-7 years experience) working their tails off with IEPs, ITPs, trying to teach 5 different curriculum at 5 different levels, screaming,hitting,biting kids, kids refusing to work and teachers having to get creative in trying to motivate them, teachers staying after school and coming in during their vacations to prep, and when things go wrong, the teacher getting the blame for everything. We have mostly new teachers because after a while, with more and more limitations and paperwork being added, people are deciding that teaching is more trouble than they are willing to put up with. Most of our teachers are going back to school to get MSWs or MFTs and then go into social work.

mr. baskums
01-11-06, 10:33 AM
I didn't say all teachers were this way, so please don't take it personally.

However, I FIRMLY believe that teachers mold the youth of this country. (my best friend's wife is a teacher and can attest to this) I have ALWAYS believed that since these teachers are such an integral part of this country's future, that they should be paid very hansomely. Almost as well as a doctor, let's say. BUT..... It should be difficult to become a teacher AND remain a teacher. None of this 3 years and tenured stuff.... Maybe tenure should come after 5 or 7 years. And I beleive that teachers need to take a test, often, to remain a certified teacher, let's say every other year.

IMHO it's because the teaching profession has decided to be represented by a union instead of holding their profession in the same esteem as doctors and lawyers do. It is the sense of entitlement and falling back on a union to cover your ass when you screw up or fail to care about how you do your job.

Teachers should not be in a union, unions were not created to protect workers in that type of job. Teaching is a profession and should be treated as such. Again, just MHO

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
01-11-06, 10:46 AM
IMHO it's because the teaching profession has decided to be represented by a union instead of holding their profession in the same esteem as doctors and lawyers do. It is the sense of entitlement and falling back on a union to cover your ass when you screw up or fail to care about how you do your job.

Teachers should not be in a union, unions were not created to protect workers in that type of job. Teaching is a profession and should be treated as such. Again, just MHO

I disagree... doctors and lawyers aren't municipal employees. Do you think cops and firemen shouldn't have unions either? If they didn't, then towns and cities would happily pay them less then they get paid now. Money is everything in this country and without adequate compensation nobody would want to teach or be a policeman. It's already like pulling teeth to get raises as it is.

Also, how would teachers defend themselves against false accusations or charges and the like without a strong union behind them? Hire their own lawyers while getting crumbs from the town because they don't have a union to bargain for them?

brosiusbuddy
01-11-06, 10:52 AM

you said some people are so stupid.

you didnt say some signs are so stupid

my post applies to whoever wrote the sign as well

yanksphan
01-11-06, 10:56 AM
I also have seen "Restroom for Customer's Only"...and every day I ride the "Shuttle Bus for Employee's Only".

Is it really THAT difficult???

What, you don't own an only? That's your problem...

;)

jonnyc39
01-11-06, 10:58 AM
True story: Was with a frield one night and decided to grab a late-night snack. We went through the drive-thru at Wendies, and when we pulled up to make our order, there was a hand written sign posted that said "No credic cards accepted."

WOW.

YankyDave
01-11-06, 11:02 AM

Looks like there was a sale on righteous, aisle five.

mr. baskums
01-11-06, 11:15 AM
I disagree... doctors and lawyers aren't municipal employees. Do you think cops and firemen shouldn't have unions either? If they didn't, then towns and cities would happily pay them less then they get paid now. Money is everything in this country and without adequate compensation nobody would want to teach or be a policeman. It's already like pulling teeth to get raises as it is.

Also, how would teachers defend themselves against false accusations or charges and the like without a strong union behind them? Hire their own lawyers while getting crumbs from the town because they don't have a union to bargain for them?

Okay, good point. But what about doctors that work for a state or city managed hospital? Where does their paycheck come from? I'm asking because I really don't know.

Also I wouldn't put the police or firemen in the same classification as teachers as it's a completely different type of work. I always thought that the primary purpose of a union was not only to increase wage rates but to to defend and promote a fair and safe working environment.

I stand by my statement that teaching needs to be held to a higher esteem. And that's not a knock to any police or firemen that may read this. They need the protection that a union can provide considering the hazards of their job.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
01-11-06, 11:42 AM
Also I wouldn't put the police or firemen in the same classification as teachers as it's a completely different type of work. I always thought that the primary purpose of a union was not only to increase wage rates but to to defend and promote a fair and safe working environment.

I stand by my statement that teaching needs to be held to a higher esteem. And that's not a knock to any police or firemen that may read this. They need the protection that a union can provide considering the hazards of their job.

It's different and obviously more dangerous work, but still, cops, firemen and teachers all work for the municipalities, which are notorious for underpaying and stonewalling attempts by their employees to improve their lot. Why would teachers be motivated to put in all the extra work that teaching requires ( work goes home with you ) if they were getting paid 17 dollars an hour and be subjected to frequent evaluations knowing that if they screw up once, they could be terminated on the spot? Without unions, what leg would individual city employees have to stand on? I agree with you that teachers should be held to high standards but to want teachers to be non union is unfair.

There was a case up in Teaneck, NJ where a kid made sexual molestation accusations against the high school principal, who was then arrested, charged and put on trial. The principal was found innocent, as the charges were false like most people thought they were. Without the union, this principal would be paid less, have to find his own lawyer and most likely be fired, no questions asked before even going to trial. So despite the false charges, if Teaneck BOE employees were non unionized, this principal's life would have been ruined because one unstable kid shot his mouth off.

PalmerGA
01-11-06, 11:51 AM
Some people in this country are so stupid, it makes me laugh.Nothing unusual for any store in South GA. See what I have to put up with everyday?

gdn
01-11-06, 11:52 AM
I'm not unionized. Sucks sometimes, but by statute we get paid what the state's attorneys get and they're unionized.

PeteRFNY
01-11-06, 01:13 PM
What, you don't own an only? That's your problem...

;)

I do, but he rarely needs a bathroom and always has clean hands! ;)

allybear
01-11-06, 02:05 PM
The Dunkin Donuts in my old neighborhood had a huge sign over their store for several years that read "Dunkin Dounts". Now, this was a major business/franchise that had the name of their store spelled incorrectly and they never bothered to fix it for a long time. Now that's pretty pathetic. :P

There are three misspelled signs in a two-block radius in my neighborhood - I forgot one, but I know one is "Thirfty" Beverage, which is bad enough, but why should the owners of Thrifty Beverage care when the city/town have posted a street sign for "Jamiaca" Avenue (should be Jamaica) and a sign saying "Welcome to Bellrose Terrace" (hmmmm, last time I looked there was an extra "e" in Bellerose).

NYYBombshell
01-11-06, 02:13 PM
Nothing unusual for any store in South GA. See what I have to put up with everyday?

Yeah, and it's gotta suck.

montrealer
01-11-06, 06:26 PM
Whow......Then all those english classes we take up here in Quebec are all for nothing.........We don`t got to take them classes to speak good english. ;)
French is hard enough to speak.

NYYBombshell
01-11-06, 06:45 PM
Whow......Then all those english classes we take up here in Quebec are all for nothing.........We don`t got to take them classes to speak good english. ;)
French is hard enough to speak.

Je sais. J'ai étudié le français dans le lycée et l'université, et je ne pense toujours pas que je suis parfait.

Je veux être à l'aise, mais je ne sais pas.

DanB
01-11-06, 07:22 PM

Sorry for jumping in on this late, but...

Since when is stupid a chosen trait? According to Miriam-Webster:

Main Entry: 1stu·pid
Pronunciation: 'stü-p&d, 'styü-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French stupide, from Latin stupidus, from stupEre to be numb, be astonished -- more at TYPE
1 a : slow of mind : OBTUSE b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner c : lacking intelligence or reason : BRUTISH
2 : dulled in feeling or sensation : TORPID <still stupid from the sedative>
3 : marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : SENSELESS
4 a : lacking interest or point b : VEXATIOUS, EXASPERATING <this stupid flashlight won't work>

So, upon review by the officials, it's ok to call an uneducated person stupid. There was no penalty, play stands as called.

Maybe saying ignorant or uneducated would have been more PC...but c'mon...some people are stupid

montrealer
01-11-06, 07:53 PM
Je sais. J'ai étudié le français dans le lycée et l'université, et je ne pense toujours pas que je suis parfait.

Je veux être à l'aise, mais je ne sais pas.

J`ai parle an francais seulment aux travail.Je pas`d choise.Les employee a moi parle juste en Francais.

It`s also the main reason French Canadians don`t speak English.They`re to shy to speak ,in case they make a mistake......Comme on dis en Francais"When in Rome"

patrick.o
01-12-06, 02:38 AM
I know how easy it is to get exasperated at things like that sign, but tooling on people for being less intelligent than you is like pushing around a weaker kid. Some people actually aren't quite as smart as other people. It's just the way it is.

texasyankee
01-12-06, 06:58 AM
Just cuz someone dont spell right dont make em stupid - it just means they might be uneducated or lazy.

I've seen too many misspelled signs written in my lifetime, that I barely take notice anymore. But what I do notice, or what seems to get my goat is when people dont write their letters of the alphabet correctly - in other words, they might print an "R" backwards or an "N" backwards or an "S" backwards. Now that tells me they are uneducated.
Case in point, while driving down the backroads of east Texas I saw a sign displayed near a farmhouse that indicated some farm produce for sell - "Fresh Grens 4 Sell." Besides being misspelled, the "r" in "Grens" was backwards. It was sorta hard to figure out what the message was until I noticed the roadside stand full of greens and other vegetables.

LilChief
01-12-06, 07:45 AM
Just cuz someone dont spell right dont make em stupid - it just means they might be uneducated or lazy.

I've seen too many misspelled signs written in my lifetime, that I barely take notice anymore. But what I do notice, or what seems to get my goat is when people dont write their letters of the alphabet correctly - in other words, they might print an "R" backwards or an "N" backwards or an "S" backwards. Now that tells me they are uneducated.
Case in point, while driving down the backroads of east Texas I saw a sign displayed near a farmhouse that indicated some farm produce for sell - "Fresh Grens 4 Sell." Besides being misspelled, the "r" in "Grens" was backwards. It was sorta hard to figure out what the message was until I noticed the roadside stand full of greens and other vegetables.

Wow, my first reaction to that sign was to wonder if it could have been done intentionally to attract attention or get drivers to feel sorry for them and stop...I mean, they didn't get a single word right? Wow...

ritaylnil
01-12-06, 09:46 AM
"I'm pretty sure you done dranked the milk by now."

:lol: :roflmao: :-rofl-:

ritaylnil
01-12-06, 09:48 AM
I know how easy it is to get exasperated at things like that sign, but tooling on people for being less intelligent than you is like pushing around a weaker kid. Some people actually aren't quite as smart as other people. It's just the way it is.

Point taken. But it really is funny to me that a store would allow such a person to be the one to make a sign. Surely there's someone in K-Mart able to articulate that basic sentence.

fredgmuggs
01-12-06, 10:27 AM
I know a guy that has an Airborne tatoo on his arm and it has the word "assault" misspelled as "assalt".... I've always believed that not pointing out that spelling mistake, to a guy whose arm says "death from above", was the wisest course of action to take. ;)

edit: spelling... ironic, isn't it?

DontHateOnNumber2
01-12-06, 10:37 AM
The person that wrote that sign is has a 98.9% chance of being a lifer at that K-Mart.

PalmerGA
01-12-06, 12:16 PM

Je veux être à l'aise, mais je ne sais pas.I certainly can't argue with that! :D

ritaylnil
01-12-06, 12:54 PM
But what I do notice, or what seems to get my goat is when people dont write their letters of the alphabet correctly - in other words, they might print an "R" backwards or an "N" backwards or an "S" backwards. Now that tells me they are uneducated.

You have heard of dyslexia?

DiMaggio5CF
01-12-06, 01:46 PM
I have another one, but this one is not as good, and it doesn't actually deal with the english language.

I just had lunch at a sports bar and restaurant, and on the table they had a little card thing hyping their new jalapeno snacks that you can get with a choice of two sauces; I don't remember what the first sauce was but the other was "cheese con queso" sauce.

Doesn't "con queso" mean "with cheese"? Mmm, I'm getting my jalapeno snacks with cheese with cheese sauce. Can I get some extra cheese with cheese sauce?

jdolbow
01-12-06, 02:41 PM
True story: Was with a frield one night and decided to grab a late-night snack. We went through the drive-thru at Wendies, and when we pulled up to make our order, there was a hand written sign posted that said "No credic cards accepted."

WOW.

Wendies. Wow indeed. ;)

ritaylnil
01-12-06, 06:15 PM
Wendies. Wow indeed. ;)

Yeah, I hate when I go with a frield to Wendies and they won't take my credic card! :roflmao:

shroud
01-12-06, 06:20 PM
Heh, you'd have to see some of the english/spanish translation over here. Just last week at the cafeteria of the local college I saw a couple of containers, the first read "ketchup" the second one said "Shedar cheese" :)

texasyankee
01-12-06, 08:21 PM
You have heard of dyslexia?

of course. but I dont believe that in this case & in other similar cases dyslexia applies. The individuals spelled and/or wrote most of their words & letters correctly, but would write certain letters backwards - specifically, the letters "N," "R," and "S."

Since you brought up dyslexia, I recall once in my 7th grade english class this classmate of mine was called forward to write something on the chalkboard - it basically amounted to 2 or 3 sentences. The girl - who was extremely intelligent - walked up and grabbed the chalk and started writing....
In a matter of about 10 words my whole class just stared at what no one could read - she wrote every letter in every word of her sentence completely backwards. It was like a mirror image.
We - the class - immediately started making loud comments - to the effect of asking her what the heck was she writing! She paused, and looked and wiped off her words with the eraser and started writing it all over again - correctly.
Later - a few years later - I realized she was dyslexic. I never saw anything like that incident since. She wrote with such ease and perfectly backwards.

JDPNYY
01-12-06, 08:26 PM
Message Board Posting - Rule #52:

When being critical of the spelling of others, always remember to check said post for spelling errors at least four times before hitting the SUBMIT button.

patrick.o
01-13-06, 01:22 AM
Just so no one thinks I was being sanctimonious with my last post, in the town I used to live in there was a Chinese resturant on one of the main roads with a big sign out front that said 'We Delivery'. Not one of those signs where you put in the letters and maybe someone could screw something up, they actually had a big, permanant light-up sign that said the name of the place and 'We Delivery.' Twenty years I lived in that town, and that sign never failed to amuse me :lol:

ritaylnil
01-13-06, 08:29 AM
of course. but I dont believe that in this case & in other similar cases dyslexia applies. The individuals spelled and/or wrote most of their words & letters correctly, but would write certain letters backwards - specifically, the letters "N," "R," and "S."

I'm certainly no dyslexia expert, but I believe sometimes it's just certain letters that get turned around. :dunno:

YankyDave
01-13-06, 10:22 AM
Just so no one thinks I was being sanctimonious with my last post, in the town I used to live in there was a Chinese resturant on one of the main roads with a big sign out front that said 'We Delivery'. Not one of those signs where you put in the letters and maybe someone could screw something up, they actually had a big, permanant light-up sign that said the name of the place and 'We Delivery.' Twenty years I lived in that town, and that sign never failed to amuse me :lol:

I used to run a multi-restaurant delivery service and we had many ethnic places we delivered for. It was amazing the number of really bad errors on their printed menus. My only explanation was that they used a printer within their "community" who also did not know better.

yankeebot
01-13-06, 10:26 AM
Microsoft has work to do. If we can have spell-check and grammar-check, can we not have "I'm a total f'ing idiot." check?

effdamets
01-13-06, 12:16 PM
Since we are speaking of retail businesses....

There is a store, near Yankee stadium, that their sign reads:

99 cents Less and Up!

The person that wrote this isn't going to Harvard anytime soon! Shouldn't it just say "Any Price"?

I often thought of taking a pitcure of that sign and sending it in to Leno's show...

Hitman23
01-13-06, 12:33 PM

She very well may have chosen to not stay in school or strive for better things, but whats "stupid" is to assume and judge other people.I'm glad someone else said it. People judge and come down on others way too hard and too often, just because they can. Making yourself feel superior at the expense of someone else's shortcomings makes you look even more stupid, IMO.

yankeebot
01-13-06, 12:42 PM
I'm glad someone else said it. People judge and come down on others way too hard and too often, just because they can. Making yourself feel superior at the expense of someone else's shortcomings makes you look even more stupid, IMO.I accept that with hand printed signs but if someone goes to the expense of having something printed (ie menu, neon sign, billboard, etc.) they should get it right.

Hitman23
01-13-06, 12:45 PM
I accept that with hand printed signs but if someone goes to the expense of having something printed (ie menu, neon sign, billboard, etc.) they should get it right.maybe they should, or maybe they just don't care. Some things (like proper spelling and grammar) just aren't important enough for some people to care about imperfections.

I mean, I guess if it matters to you, then fine. Make sure you are correct in what you do. But what does it matter how someone else presents themself? They could be a really great person but your judgement would never allow you to know.

krystl
01-13-06, 12:58 PM
Heh, you'd have to see some of the english/spanish translation over here. Just last week at the cafeteria of the local college I saw a couple of containers, the first read "ketchup" the second one said "Shedar cheese" :)
What's wrong with "ketchup"?

PinstripePride
01-13-06, 01:14 PM

Similar to that, there is a deli near my house that put up a big yellow awning about a year or two ago that says "Stop One Deli". I think they were shooting for "One Stop Deli". Always cracks me up.

PinstripePride
01-13-06, 01:15 PM

My guess is he/she has never seen it spelled that way before, similar to when I first saw it spelled "Catsup" I thought it was a bad misspelling.

texasyankee
01-13-06, 01:23 PM
I'm certainly no dyslexia expert, but I believe sometimes it's just certain letters that get turned around. :dunno:

me either and you're probably correct.

DiMaggio5CF
01-13-06, 01:26 PM
Maybe it was on a mustard bottle.

Dave Visbeck
01-13-06, 01:43 PM
So I walk into my local K-Mart today to return an item, and while I'm standing at the customer service counter, I look down and see this sign taped to the counter . . .

:giveup:

The first "BE" might be a brand name, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on that, but the rest more than makes up for it.

I just laughed and shook my head. I understand that the English language might not be your strong point, but when you're in a business setting and you're trying to communicate something to your customers, you have to get it right. The entire corporation of K-Mart looks a little more silly to me now because of this one sign.

I was going to say something about it, but I wasn't sure who wrote it.

Then, after the return had been completed, the lady behind the counter kept my original receipt, and I asked to make sure that I didn't need the receipt for anything else.

So she checked it, and the only other item on there was milk, to which she replied, "I'm pretty sure you done dranked the milk by now."

:jaw-drop: I thought my writing was bad. :o Sad thing for a business to let happen.

krystl
01-13-06, 02:08 PM
Maybe it was on a mustard bottle.
:lol: That could be!

YankyDave
01-13-06, 03:15 PM
maybe they should, or maybe they just don't care. Some things (like proper spelling and grammar) just aren't important enough for some people to care about imperfections.

I mean, I guess if it matters to you, then fine. Make sure you are correct in what you do. But what does it matter how someone else presents themself? They could be a really great person but your judgement would never allow you to know.

Oh christ, now we're supposed to excuse ignorance because some people "just don't care enough"? You people coming to the defense of this unknown sign writer are just as off in your righteousness as you are trying to say someone is for finding their writing ability proof of stupidity.

Hitman23
01-13-06, 03:59 PM
Oh christ, now we're supposed to excuse ignorance because some people "just don't care enough"? You people coming to the defense of this unknown sign writer are just as off in your righteousness as you are trying to say someone is for finding their writing ability proof of stupidity.Ignorance? I mispell things all the time. Am I ignorant? You make an unfair judgement. If this person owns a business, they're doing something right.

Some of the smartest and most well off peole I know have the worst handwriting and cannot spell for sh*t. How does this dictate how dumb they are? Why is this "sad" for the human race? Why do es anyone care? Is anyone here their English teacher? What gives anyone the right to judge another human being? We're all' human on the same level. No one is superior because they have correct grammar skills.

people are way to quick to judge.

YankyDave
01-13-06, 04:12 PM
Ignorance? I mispell things all the time. Am I ignorant? You make an unfair judgement. If this person owns a business, they're doing something right.

Some of the smartest and most well off peole I know have the worst handwriting and cannot spell for sh*t. How does this dictate how dumb they are? Why is this "sad" for the human race? Why do you care? Are you their English teacher? What gives you the right to judge another human being? You are one yourself, you're on the same level. You're not superior because you have correct grammar skills.

Just as quick as you are to excuse them. It is ignorant to constantly mispell things. My own dad does it and I call him on it. Is he stupid? No. Is he ignorant? Yes.

You can get off the high horse though. Some people prefer to live in a world where proper grammar and articulation exist. You apparently don't.

Hitman23
01-13-06, 04:15 PM
Just as quick as you are to excuse them. Excuse me for not getting on other people for their shortcomings. No one is perfect. I'm not a judgemental person. However that makes you view me is your problem, not mine.

You can get off the high horse though.High horse? :lol: I don't judge people unless they give me a reason to.

The ones on high horses here are the ones judging other people they don't even know. I'm defending someone's right to not be perfect.

NYYBombshell
01-13-06, 04:27 PM
As was stated earlier, if you're going to call someone out on something, make sure that what you've posted is spelled correctly.

It's not mispell. It's m-i-s-s-p-e-l-l.

Hitman23
01-13-06, 04:30 PM
As was stated earlier, if you're going to call someone out on something, make sure that what you've posted is spelled correctly.

It's not mispell. It's m-i-s-s-p-e-l-l.:evil:

yankydave sure is a sad example of the human race. :lol:

(relax bro, it's a joke :P )

Sam18
01-13-06, 04:31 PM
Ignorance? I mispell things all the time. Am I ignorant? You make an unfair judgement. If this person owns a business, they're doing something right.

Some of the smartest and most well off peole I know have the worst handwriting and cannot spell for sh*t. How does this dictate how dumb they are? Why is this &quot;sad&quot; for the human race? Why do es anyone care? Is anyone here their English teacher? What gives anyone the right to judge another human being? We're all' human on the same level. No one is superior because they have correct grammar skills.

Thank You!
:clap:

gdn
01-13-06, 04:32 PM
I've said this before, but I'll say it again:

Why do people turn should have into should of?
I could've gone to the store becomes I could of gone to the store.

YankyDave
01-13-06, 04:32 PM
Excuse me for not getting on other people for their shortcomings. No one is perfect. I'm not a judgemental person. However that makes you view me is your problem, not mine.
High horse? :lol: I don't judge people unless they give me a reason to.

The ones on high horses here are the ones judging other people they don't even know. I'm defending someone's right to not be perfect.

You are judging people who don't like to see improper spelling and grammar. Don't you see that?

You can't judge ANYONE so long as you have that ace-in-the-hole excuse that "nobody's perfect."

Panamaniac42
01-13-06, 04:35 PM

Streets is Talking is a hip-hop song by Jay-Z (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jayz/streetsistalking.html), though I'm sure the phrase was urban slang long before the song came out -- so it's more poetry than stupidity.

By the way, not only are they talking, but 'Streets is Watching' as well (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jayz/thestreetsiswatching.html). That one's actually the better song of the two.

Hitman23
01-13-06, 04:35 PM
You are judging people who don't like to see improper spelling and grammar. Don't you see that?

You can't judge ANYONE so long as you have that ace-in-the-hole excuse that "nobody's perfect."I'm not judging you or anyone in here. I'm simply calling you on judging others. I never put anyone down or made myself to be a better person. There's a difference.

YankyDave
01-13-06, 04:40 PM
I'm not judging you or anyone in here. I'm simply calling you on judging others. I never put anyone down or made myself to be a better person. There's a difference.

I don't think saying someone is ignorant is horrible if it is true. I don't think anyone thinks they are a better person for pointing these things out either. They may think or know they're a better speller but that appears to be true. You're trying to act as if they're mocking the handicapped or something.

YankyDave
01-13-06, 04:43 PM
Here's the definition of stupid:

1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless

It looks like a pretty accurate assessment to me, even using your excuse.

Hitman23
01-13-06, 04:48 PM
I don't think anyone thinks they are a better person for pointing these things out either. That's the point. What do you gain by pointing it out? What makes the fact that you are a good speller a reason to tell someone else "You're ignorant"? I'm sure there are things I can do better then you can do. But I'm not gonna walk around letting you know that.

Look, it's one thing to laugh if you see something funny. If I saw this sign, I would have laughed. But I'm not going to say this person is ignorant or "dumb" because they can't spell. There are things in this world I'm sure this person is good at that you and I probably suck at. Would you find a purpose to this person letting you know?

We're going in circles. I don't really care what you do. Be how you want. What goes around, comes around.

Panamaniac42
01-13-06, 04:52 PM
I actually have more of a problem with stuff like this:

http://www.miabc.org/upload/igi13.jpg

YankyDave
01-13-06, 05:30 PM

Stop being so judgemental, ha ha.

montrealer
01-13-06, 05:32 PM

I like catsup better. ;)

NYYBombshell
01-13-06, 05:43 PM

:lol: :lol:

I wonder if that can be used as a valid defense in court.

"But your honor, it didn't say stop. It said sotp."

krystl
01-13-06, 05:52 PM
I like catsup better. ;)
Do you pronounce it like it's spelled?

DiMaggio5CF
01-13-06, 06:01 PM

That's great . . . but who are the Chefs?

patrick.o
01-14-06, 01:08 AM
I used to run a multi-restaurant delivery service and we had many ethnic places we delivered for. It was amazing the number of really bad errors on their printed menus. My only explanation was that they used a printer within their "community" who also did not know better.
It's pretty common for ethnic communities to do that, support one another by giving each other business. But as you pointed out, it can definitely have it's downside when it comes to language. I used to work for an Iranian immigrant and we would have our flyers printed by a print shop owned by another Iranian. The guy would fax over a draft of our flyer and I'd correct about 30 mistakes and fax it back. He'd fix half of them and make 5 new mistakes, fax it over, and I'd fax it back. We always had to go back and forth 5 or 6 times before he finally got it right, and invariably there would always still be a mistake or two that I missed (I am human). The worst time was when I missed that he had our phone number wrong. A thousand flyers asking repair shops to call us for their auto parts and our freaking phone number was wrong. And, of course, since I was the one responsible for proofing the flyers before they went to final print, I was the moron. Hey, pooh happens.

keithf1
01-14-06, 01:19 AM
In Florida huh? I'm going to go out on the limb and say southern Florida.

patrick.o
01-14-06, 01:45 AM
Oh christ, now we're supposed to excuse ignorance because some people "just don't care enough"? You people coming to the defense of this unknown sign writer are just as off in your righteousness as you are trying to say someone is for finding their writing ability proof of stupidity.
Regarding the first part of your post, I don't know that we are supposed to excuse ignorance, but I also don't know that we are supposed to make light of it. There are many possible reasons why that sign was such a hatchet job on the English language. One of those reasons may very well be that the person who wrote it is either too dumb or too uneducated to get it right. Is that really something that we should ridicule?

And re: the second part of your post, I can attest to the fact that writing ability has very little to do with being stupid. When I worked in auto parts I wore many hats, one of which was to go out on the road and visit all the repair shops in the area to either solicit business or thank them for their business. There were many, many, very successful business owners I visited that were semi to totally illiterate. When I first started to catch on I was shocked (they tend to hide it well), but after a while I came to understand that most of these guys came from a different place than I did, lived a different life than I did, and had different priorites than I did. They weren't neccessarily dumber than me just because they couldn't read or write as well as I can, and they weren't neccessarily smarter than me just because they made more money than I did, they were just different than me. There was one guy down the street from us, an Italian specialist, his garage was always full of Ferarris, Mazeratis, and the like, and he owned half the buildings on the city block around his shop. I used to have to go to his shop each month to write out his check to us because he couldn't do it himself.

patrick.o
01-14-06, 01:46 AM
That's great . . . but who are the Chefs?
That was a great commercial campaign. "Would you like to ride with Batman?" :lol:

montrealer
01-14-06, 11:48 AM
Do you pronounce it like it's spelled?

Pronounced....... Ketchup up here but spelled catsup.