PDA

View Full Version : Should we pursue Russell Branyan?

Mark19
01-10-06, 01:14 AM
He was DFA'd by the Brewers to make room for Corey Koskie. He has primarily been a 3rd baseman but he has 31 starts at 1B and can play left field in a pinch.

Last season in Milwaukee he belted 12 HRs and drove in 31 RBIs in 202 ABs. His average was only .257 but he walked enough to bring his OBP to .378.

His K numbers have always been alarming but he seems to slowly be learning some patience and his lefty power stroke could make him a valuable bench player.

He is a better option than Phillips but it is unknown how good a defender he could be at 1B.

As a pinch-hitter/1B versus righties he could probably put up some decent production and get his share of walks.

JavyVazquezIsSick
01-10-06, 01:21 AM
I'd rather give Phillips a shot, he really deserves it. Branyan has a career .327 OBP, but has been an above average player in his career but I'd rather not take the project on of seeing if he can play 1st base or a corner position...

Matsui55
01-10-06, 07:59 AM
He was DFA'd by the Brewers to make room for Corey Koskie. He has primarily been a 3rd baseman but he has 31 starts at 1B and can play left field in a pinch.

Last season in Milwaukee he belted 12 HRs and drove in 31 RBIs in 202 ABs. His average was only .257 but he walked enough to bring his OBP to .378.

His K numbers have always been alarming but he seems to slowly be learning some patience and his lefty power stroke could make him a valuable bench player.

He is a better option than Phillips but it is unknown how good a defender he could be at 1B.

As a pinch-hitter/1B versus righties he could probably put up some decent production and get his share of walks.

Absolutely not.

This guy has been on at least 6 different teams for a reason. He is not a good player. Andy Phillips may be a AAAA player, but he will outperform Branyon this year, if given the same AB's.

I think it is time to just wait until ST and wait and see on 1B. If Phillips can't do it, we have the bullpen depth to deal some arms for a backup 1B who is significantly better than Branyon.

YankeeStripes
01-10-06, 09:06 AM
id see if he would accept a minor league contract. if not, then go with phillips. Might as well let them battle it out in spring training.

gdn
01-10-06, 09:16 AM
id see if he would accept a minor league contract. if not, then go with phillips. Might as well let them battle it out in spring training.Phillips has earned his chance. Give it to him.

Mattpat11
01-10-06, 09:29 AM
Absolutely not.

This guy has been on at least 6 different teams for a reason. He is not a good player. Andy Phillips may be a AAAA player, but he will outperform Branyon this year, if given the same AB's.

I think it is time to just wait until ST and wait and see on 1B. If Phillips can't do it, we have the bullpen depth to deal some arms for a backup 1B who is significantly better than Branyon. I think the only real problem with waiting til spring training is that even with some trading chips (And lets face it, Aaron Small and Tanyon Sturtze aren't going to get us much especially if we're desperate) is that you wind up at the mercy of another team.

There's a reason Phillips is 29 and still in the minors. We can't let ourselves get locked into that.

That said, Branyan isn't a good idea.

surge511
01-10-06, 09:52 AM
Give it to Phillips this year and see how he does, he definitely deserves a shot. Giambi and Bernie will get most of the 1b/dh atbats anyway, it's not like he will play that much.

Mattpat11
01-10-06, 09:59 AM
Give it to Phillips this year and see how he does, he definitely deserves a shot.. Personally, I don't think 29 year old AAAA players "deserve" anything. If he's strictly going to be a backup, its not that bad. But if we're looking to make Bernie the new Ruben and get put someone in as an every day player, we need better.

BJG
01-10-06, 10:50 AM
If you keep Branyan away from lefties, he's not that bad. I guess it depends on your opinion of his outfield defense. In combination with Phillips starting against lefties at 1B, a guy who can hit righties and be average in the outfield is a good thing.

shutout
01-10-06, 10:57 AM
I don't quite understand why people are always sticking up for Philips. He's not a good player, he didn't perform anything... Why???

yanksphan
01-10-06, 10:57 AM
no thanks.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/jan06/383829.asp

Branyan was ineffective as a pinch hitter, collecting only one hit while striking out 10 times in 16 at-bats. "That was a problem," Melvin said of Branyan's pinch-hitting problems. "He's a guy who has to be in (the lineup) a little more to keep his stroke."

In 536 major-league games with Cleveland, Cincinnati and Milwaukee, Branyan has a .232 batting average, 93 home runs and 238 RBI, with 597 strikeouts in 1,464 at-bats.

gdn
01-10-06, 11:02 AM
I don't quite understand why people are always sticking up for Philips. He's not a good player, he didn't perform anything... Why???See this thread for a detailed analysis of Phillips' performance and projection:
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=91550

Mattpat11
01-10-06, 11:47 AM
It doesn't explain though, why he's a 29 year old and still in the minors. Its not some Yankee conspiracy, its not just "aw shucks, bad luck" If [/I]any[I] team in baseball thought he was a passable major league player, he'd be on starting for them April first.

Things happen in this sport for a reason. Phillips is a career minor leaguer not due to the Yankees or bad luck or this or that, but some flaw in his game. Very possibly the inability to hit the breaking ball.

panicfan
01-10-06, 11:48 AM
We have a good enough lineup that we can give him a shot. He was dfa'd for a reason, and he's probably a AAAA player too (He was on the Brewers). I would have gone after Snow, but I guess that's not happening now.

Clive
01-10-06, 12:08 PM
If you thought Tony Clark (with us) was Mr. Homer or Strikeout, you haven't seen anything until you've seen this guy.

I'd like to see him sign with the Bisons again. He hit really well in Buffalo. :lol:

boo_427
01-10-06, 12:10 PM
Warner Robbins, Georgia's finest.

The guy can do damage when healthy. Seems to be the problem though.

38Special
01-10-06, 12:36 PM
It doesn't explain though, why he's a 29 year old and still in the minors. Its not some Yankee conspiracy, its not just "aw shucks, bad luck" If [/I]any[I] team in baseball thought he was a passable major league player, he'd be on starting for them April first.

Things happen in this sport for a reason. Phillips is a career minor leaguer not due to the Yankees or bad luck or this or that, but some flaw in his game. Very possibly the inability to hit the breaking ball.

Here: http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?p=2963321&highlight=phillips#post2963321

This is a tough decision. Perez looks like a sure-fire lefty masher for 1st base, but he wont be able to play anything but first or DH. Andy Phillips mashed lefties to the tune of .400+ in AAA last year with 50% for extra bases, and could play 1st base better than Perez, and also play 3rd or corner outfield if needed (and we would have him for 5 more years).

I think we should stick with Andy.

In addition, people need to stop holding Andy's age against him, the main problem has been the Yankees ridiculous cautiousness with promotions and his season-ending injury in 2003 which would have been his chance to make an impact in the majors at age 26. He hits for power, he murders lefties, and he doesnt strike out too much. Unfortunately for him Tino was around last year and kept him from getting the ABs to prove himself. Now the miserable excuse is used that he cant hit breaking balls, which is far from true.

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/P/andy-phillips.shtml

BJG
01-10-06, 12:37 PM

Baseball just doesn't work this way. When players get past a certain age, teams don't go out of their way to acqire them beyond signing them as minor league free agents. This has absolutely nothing to do with how they might perform for a year or 2, it has to do with them only being useful for that year or 2. Baseball is full of Brian Daubach types...guys who could come in a their peak and help a team but don't have long term value. You don't trade for Brian Daubach, but when you have him, ride him out if you have a place for him.

Kulish29
01-10-06, 12:39 PM
I don't quite understand why people are always sticking up for Philips. He's not a good player, he didn't perform anything... Why???

He sure has had a chance to prove something, what with his 48 career AB's and 32 career games played.

DiMaggio5CF
01-10-06, 12:53 PM
I've always liked "Raisin" Branyan, but he's not a good player. His power is among the best in the business, but everything else is so lacking that it just cancels it out.

What I would love to see, however, is Branyan signed to a minor league contract and invited to Spring Training. It's at least worth giving him a shot to compete for Phillips' job in ST, and if Phillips should get hurt, Branyan can step in. NRIs never hurt anyone -- except the guys whose jobs they took.

I mean, how much are the Yanks really going to use the backup corner infielder in this lineup anyway? Since Cairo can play third in a pinch, I'd rather forget about both Branyan and Phillips and find a way to pick up a slick-fielding firstbaseman who can be Giambi's defensive replacement.

gdn
01-10-06, 02:36 PM
Here: http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?p=2963321&highlight=phillips#post2963321I've tried explaining all of that. Doesn't seem to matter, though :dunno:

Mark19
01-10-06, 03:00 PM
I mean, how much are the Yanks really going to use the backup corner infielder in this lineup anyway? Since Cairo can play third in a pinch, I'd rather forget about both Branyan and Phillips and find a way to pick up a slick-fielding firstbaseman who can be Giambi's defensive replacement.

I hate to break it to you but the market for back up 1Bs is pretty thin right now.

After Scott Hatteberg and Daryl Ward, the next best option is Tino....

ryanthe13th
01-10-06, 05:34 PM
We need good players for our bench, not subpar plug in's such as Branyan who have poor career AVG and OBP's.

Mark19
01-10-06, 10:48 PM
We need good players for our bench, not subpar plug in's such as Branyan who have poor career AVG and OBP's.

Got any names? I suggest Branyan because the market is dry.

ryanthe13th
01-11-06, 02:37 PM
Got any names? I suggest Branyan because the market is dry.

I would really like Durazo to be pursued, but I haven't heard anything about him. He hit for over 20 HR in both seasons that he played in 100+ games and had a good OBP to compliment it. He'd solve our DH problem and would be the one to platoon with Giambi at 1B.

There isn't much of a market out there, and I know this is a tired statement, but if the Yankees could trade for someone like Jason Michaels that'd go a long way. I'm also not opposed to trading for Craig Wilson, I just don't want the Yankees to give up a top prospect for a bench player.

Panamaniac42
01-11-06, 02:48 PM
I would really like Durazo to be pursued, but I haven't heard anything about him. He hit for over 20 HR in both seasons that he played in 100+ games and had a good OBP to compliment it. He'd solve our DH problem and would be the one to platoon with Giambi at 1B.

There isn't much of a market out there, and I know this is a tired statement, but if the Yankees could trade for someone like Jason Michaels that'd go a long way. I'm also not opposed to trading for Craig Wilson, I just don't want the Yankees to give up a top prospect for a bench player.

I like Wilson's versatility (though he's not the greatest defender) but not at a steep price, as you said.

Philly still probably wants Wang for Michaels so until they stop freebasing cocaine and lower their demands, they can keep him.

Mark19
01-11-06, 03:14 PM

Durazo is one of the worst defenders at 1B in baseball. He would have to be a DH.

mhmajp
01-11-06, 05:50 PM
Durazo is one of the worst defenders at 1B in baseball. He would have to be a DH.

He probably can't play the field anyway, given his elbow injury last year.

genius-24
01-11-06, 05:56 PM
Right now, we dont need 1B/DH guy.
We need good/decent RF to give sheff DH time. Giambi's offensive numbers are way better when he plays 1st base rather then DH. Also sheff has shoulder problems which can a be big factor b/c if he gets injured in the outfield and for that reason if he isnt in our lineup then that creates A HUGE VOID that would be REALLY hard to fill.

Mark19
01-12-06, 01:27 AM
he has cleared waivers and is basically free for anyone who wants him

aeromac76
01-12-06, 10:35 AM
Phillips deserves nothing. This team is trying to win, Andy Philips deserves zero, zip ziltch and nada. Now having said that, does he WARRANT a shot? I belive the answer is yes. There is a difference between deserving and warranting. I think he warrants a look in sp training because I think he may be able to help us and Russ Branyan is a K machine. Talk about all or nothing. He is all or nothing, and a lot more nothing than all.

Unless something comes along better, I am comfy with Andy Phillips to start it off.

gEO3b4
01-12-06, 04:08 PM
I like Branyan, but wouldnt want him on anything less than a minor league contract with a Spring Training invite. He will likely get a better opprotunity from another team though. Also, I would rather use Phillips, who like Branyan (who can play the corners in both the infield and the outfield) is versatile as he has experience at pretty much every infield spot.

I mean, if Branyan has some catching experience in the minors or something then I would bring him in in a heartbeat and throw him on our bench, because if Joe intends to DH Jorge here and there this season we need a third guy on the bench who is capable of catching in case of an emergency, so that if Stinnett gets hurt we dont have to bring in Posada and lose our DH. Also you never know what kind of circumstances could arise. But I dont believe he has any catching experience.