PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Missile Musing

Knuckles
01-09-06, 10:50 AM
Tim Kurkijan (sp?) offers the theory in ESPN The Magazine that with Jon Garland now signed for three years, and the Chisox looking to move Brandon McCarthy into their rotation, probably next year (07), that Mr. Contreras is likely to become trade bait sometime in 06 or in the off season next year.

The question I have is entirely about the future, and entirely speculative: Should the many (mostly not good) possible scenarios unfold in such a way that an overpacked 06 Yankee rotation be short in 07 (Pavano pitch well/poorly and be gone; Wright ineffective or hurt or in pen; Small and Chacon ineffective; Wang hurt; Unit and/or Moose out), are you comfortable with a theory that Jose has banished his demons and could be good in the Bronx in a return visit, or do you think he's just one of those guys that can't pitch on the world's biggest stage?

YANKEE BASEBALL!!!

CTSoxFan
01-09-06, 10:52 AM
I, for one, would welcome Contreras' return to the Bronx. ;)

KevinBaseball
01-09-06, 10:57 AM
I read that most of his emotional problems were derived from not having his family in the United States with him, not the NY pressures. With his family now here he might be able to get over any NY jitters, but he also might just be 65 years old, so you never know.

genius-24
01-09-06, 11:11 AM
i wouldn't want him. There will be better pitchers out there in 07. Like Zito.

Steph19
01-09-06, 11:25 AM
I read that most of his emotional problems were derived from not having his family in the United States with him, not the NY pressures. With his family now here he might be able to get over any NY jitters, but he also might just be 65 years old, so you never know.

He was reunited with his family when with the Yanks, remember? First game after that in Shea Stadium, he destroyed the Mets and struck out a career high... then shortly thereafter, went back to sucking. I want no part of Contreras any more

KevinBaseball
01-09-06, 11:33 AM
He was reunited with his family when with the Yanks, remember? First game after that in Shea Stadium, he destroyed the Mets and struck out a career high... then shortly thereafter, went back to sucking. I want no part of Contreras any more

I have no idea where to get the link, but if I remember reading an ESPN the mag article that said they were here briefly then, but that they didn't move here permanently until he joined the white sox.

38Special
01-09-06, 11:35 AM
hahahahahahhahaa oh my god

gdn
01-09-06, 11:40 AM
Yep, Contreras should be brought back. Also Weaver and let's see if we can pry Vazquez away from the WS, while trading Pavano for Pettitte and signing Clemens.

ryanthe13th
01-09-06, 11:55 AM
There will be better fish in the sea as someone else pointed out. If Contreras duplicates his second half success all year this season, I'll be more than suprised.

yankeebot
01-09-06, 11:56 AM
Pass.

Sam18
01-09-06, 12:07 PM
Eh...

shutout
01-09-06, 12:09 PM
He had quite a good season last season: 15-7, AVG of 3.61. Those numbers: I like. We could see how he performs in 2006. If he keeps his results from last year up, I'll be in favor of signing him (under circumstances). Those numbers don't lie: he had a good season last season.

Let's wait and see how he performs in 2007.

Kulish29
01-09-06, 12:11 PM
Never should've traded him in the first place.

BRNXBMRS
01-09-06, 12:21 PM
no interest

ryanthe13th
01-09-06, 12:21 PM
People complain about the Yankees getting pitchers like Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright when they come off of career years, well 2005 was a career year for Jose Contreras. It's the first time that he pitcher over 100 innings with success. There's no one on this team besides Jaret Wright that I would trade for Jose Contreras, and not even Chicago is dumb enough to take a deal including Wright.

NewEraYanks2527
01-09-06, 12:54 PM
Damnt people, enough already with thinking about getting guys back that sucked when they were Yankees.

Bernie Inferno
01-09-06, 01:23 PM
Now that he has learned to throw his fastball again I wouldn't mind having him back, but the asking price would be too much.

CTSoxFan
01-09-06, 02:40 PM
Can y'all work on re-signing Kevin Brown while you're at it? It doesn't have to be a multiyear deal or anything.

Sam18
01-09-06, 03:23 PM
Can y'all work on re-signing Kevin Brown while you're at it? It doesn't have to be a multiyear deal or anything.

Only if you guys can somehow bring back 2005 Foulke and Schilling.

RhodyYanksFan
01-09-06, 03:50 PM
Yep, Contreras should be brought back. Also Weaver and let's see if we can pry Vazquez away from the WS, while trading Pavano for Pettitte and signing Clemens.

:lol:

Sam18
01-09-06, 03:58 PM

You know, we won over 100 games with that rotation.

sugmasterflex
01-09-06, 04:04 PM
Nope. Contreras is one of those players who can't handle the pressure of NYC.

Sam18
01-09-06, 04:06 PM

He did fine in the playoffs.

bostonyankeefan
01-09-06, 04:26 PM
I would not mind seeing him back with us. Maybe Kerrigan could work with him more effectively than Mel was able to.

PerfectCone
01-09-06, 04:37 PM
I'm with the crowd that didn't want to trade him in the first place. Yes, he was frustrating, but the potential to dominate was always there. He just needed a real pitching coach to coax him along and we all know that we haven't had one of those for some time. That being said, I think his window to play in the Bronx has past and we should move on to someone younger.

RIYankeeFan
01-12-06, 07:46 AM
We have much bigger problems. Especially if our 2007 staff has Pavano/Wright hurt or gone, RJ/Moose out, Small/Chacon forgot how to pitch, and Wang hurt. And we look to Contreras to be the team savior? :o

23and2
01-12-06, 08:51 AM
I don't want him back.

Apparently, for Contreras, the pressure to pitch well for another team in the regular season, playoffs and World Series is nothing compared to the pressure to pitch (even a relatively meaningless game) for the Yankees.

GimeMoMuny
01-12-06, 10:57 AM
I think Contreras' problems as a Yankee were not completely due to makeup, rather the tipping and/or overuse of his splitter (especially with runners on), which was exposed by scouting.

A better pitching coach probably would have helped, but according to White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper; the simple adjustments that were implemented were secondary to what Contreras learned while spending a full season around El Duque.

I'd wait to see how he does this year before even thinking about it.

Dr. Gonzo
01-12-06, 11:19 AM
I am with you on this, and never should have traded him for loaiza. Just an empty move.

I also doubt that he would want to come back, same with weaver and vasquez.

effdamets
01-12-06, 11:28 AM
Or.... It's hard to pitch with your hands wrapped around your throat! Stay away Jose!

DontHateOnNumber2
01-12-06, 12:00 PM
Before he was traded I said that Jose had started pitching better (because at the time he had) because his family was finally reunited with him. His family seems to be doing well and as shown by Jose's pitching he has too. If he returned to the Bronx I don't think he'll face the same problems that he did before.

Kulish29
01-12-06, 01:23 PM
Isnt Contreras a FA next year?

BigBats
01-12-06, 03:03 PM
No thanks.

English Yankee
01-12-06, 08:26 PM
It may well be that he just got to grips with the Major Leagues in the second half of last year. He's already handled a World Series, and if he wins twenty games next year we'll all be wanting Cashman to resign him.

Stupid Flanders
01-13-06, 07:48 AM
Mel's gone, so sure

StatenIslandYankee
01-13-06, 12:43 PM
Eh no thanks

nnysiny
01-13-06, 12:58 PM
so the Hot Stove has turned into this, eh?

Spiker101
01-13-06, 02:03 PM
What do Clemens, Pettitte, Weaver, Contreras, Vazquez have in common? All of them to one degree or another pitched better after leaving the Yanks. How many former Yankee starters have pitched worst after leaving NY? Can't think of one. How many free agent pitchers the Yanks have signed turn out to be disappointments. How many have done better than expected?

It's pointless to bash Mel at this point, but it's entirely possible that the trouble some of the pitchers the team gave up on center more around coaching than any so-called fear factor. In the specific case of Contreras, there is one indisputable fact: He has great stuff and should've been a success.

Xhibit
01-13-06, 06:00 PM
As far as I'm concerned he quieted his critics with his performance down the stretch last year:

- He went 11-2 with a 2.96 ERA in the 2nd half, arguably being the best pitcher in the AL.

- He came to Yankee Stadium, his supposed house of horrors, and went on to pitch 3 hit ball over 7 innings with no runs allowed, and that was against a strong Yankee Lineup. That performance alone should end the stupid "he can't pitch in NY" talk, the idea that he would put on a Yankee jersey and then suddenly ................ his pants is ridiculous.

- He had 4 playoff starts with the following lines - 7.2IP/2ER, 8.1IP/3ER, 9IP/3ER, 7IP/3ER. And arguably his strongest start, pitching into the 8th inning with only 2 runs allowed, was against his supposed nemesis, the Boston Red Sox.

Xhibit
01-13-06, 06:02 PM
Of course I'm not saying I would want him to come here, but if there's a reason why I don't want Jose back, its his age. He's going to be 34, and thats probably not his real age, he's probably closer to 36-37 for all we know so he's not exactly a solid investment going forward.

That being said, the idea that he was "scared" of pitching in NY was and still is ridiculous. Its almost a copout for anyone who doesn't make it here, its a way to make the pitching coaches and the Yankees exempt from criticism. Pitcher X didn't do well here, it must be stage fright, it must be NY. Nevermind that we are talking about an in individual who pitched for Fidel Castro, an individual who fled his country, and who had bigger problems on his mind like his family. You really think a guy who didn't know his wife and kids were sage actually gave a damm about the NY "pressure", about pitching a damm game? Sometimes we completely lose perspective.

Cold Shad
01-13-06, 07:39 PM
The expectations For Jose in Chi were just a tad bit more reality based than in NYor Boston. Who decided one game against the Orioles in March made a guy Worth 8milper at the time? Jose was in a no win situation and I think was struggling with pretty severe depression at the time as well.

jimmyclark
01-13-06, 07:57 PM
Of course I'm not saying I would want him to come here, but if there's a reason why I don't want Jose back, its his age. He's going to be 34, and thats probably not his real age, he's probably closer to 36-37 for all we know so he's not exactly a solid investment going forward.

That being said, the idea that he was "scared" of pitching in NY was and still is ridiculous. Its almost a copout for anyone who doesn't make it here, its a way to make the pitching coaches and the Yankees exempt from criticism. Pitcher X didn't do well here, it must be stage fright, it must be NY. Nevermind that we are talking about an in individual who pitched for Fidel Castro, an individual who fled his country, and who had bigger problems on his mind like his family. You really think a guy who didn't know his wife and kids were sage actually gave a damm about the NY "pressure", about pitching a damm game? Sometimes we completely lose perspective.

Michael Kay said once this concern of family was a sign of weakness..that Contreras should be able to block it out of his mind. I always thought the Yankees made a whole mistake rushing Contreras:.new country, new language, completely different society, huge contract, a small town in Cuba man. Orlando Hernandez, who is from a far larger city (Havana) got three months of preparation in the minors. Contreras should have gotten the same. I would blame the front office guys and owner for rushing him. But Stottlemyre did monkey with his pitching motion (which Hernandez straightened out in Chicago) so he deserves some blame too.

JDPNYY
01-13-06, 08:00 PM

exactly.

Mel's gone, so sure

exactly.

Sam18
01-13-06, 08:29 PM
exactly.

exactly.

exactly.

SoCal Pinstriper
02-03-06, 10:13 AM
Hot Internet trade rumor du jour has Gillick sending Bobby Abreu and Gavin Floyd to the defending World Series champion White Sox for veteran outfielder Jermaine Dye and righthanded workhorse Jose Contreras.
Officials from both teams deny any such talks. It's a rumor revived from the fall. Dye is Ozzie Guillen's No. 3 hitter. On the other hand, Contreras is on the final year of his contract and is owed $8.5 million this season. Maybe the White Sox really are deep enough in starters to consider moving a guy who was 6-0 in September and 11-2 the second half. The deal-breaking question could be: Why would Chicago settle for Gavin Floyd? Whatever, it rates a solid 6.0 on the trade-rumor Richter Scale and even makes a little sense for the Phillies. When you factor the intangibles, I'm not so sure Abreu would be an upgrade for the Sox. http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/13780561.htm

YankClipper5
02-03-06, 10:58 AM
That doesn't sound like much of a deal for the Sox, I can't see this being much more than some speculation to make some baseball news. Contreras did post a good second half but probably still somewhat of an enigma for Philly to consider shipping Abreu off for him and Dye.

LuckyLopez
02-03-06, 11:15 AM
Michael Kay said once this concern of family was a sign of weakness..that Contreras should be able to block it out of his mind.
I've also heard Kay argue that 18-year-olds should forgoe educations for quick cash grabs and that people in power should regularly abuse that power to destroy those they feel slighted by. So Kay's sort of out there when it comes to ethics.

I always thought it was silly that people expected that Contreras would suddenly turn around his pitching once his family arrived in America. If you held to the idea that the stress and worry over his estranged family was one of the reasons (if not the reason) for his struggles than that's not going to disappear overnight, even once they're safe. And Even if/when it does you then get an extreme level of emotions in the opposite direction. Contreras would then be overcome with relief and excitement and be focused on repairing any damage done and reuniting with his family.

By any realisitic expectations 2005 was probably the first time in his major league career where he might have been 100% focused on baseball with his life in order. Is that the reason that he pitched well? I wouldn't go that far, but I certainly consider it an influence.

That being said, while I personally think Contreras' issues were much more a matter of mechanics, coaching, and his mindset than any sort of "NY pressue", he is a player who I wouldn't ever count on performing in the Bronx. I wouldn't feel that way if he had never been here before. If Contreras had struggled for a couple of years in Chicago and then succeeded elsewhere I'd think him capable of performing in NY. But here, there's too much bad history and bad feelings. Too many horrible memories and fans/media that are going to be waiting anxiouslly to pounce on him. I feel the same about Weaver. I think he can have himself a good career, but not for the Yanks. Just too much bad history for these fans (and players that seem to let outside factors influence them).

38Special
02-03-06, 11:37 AM
That would be a great haul for the White Sox

Quangormo
02-28-06, 12:23 PM
Jose wouldn't be my first choice, but he wouldn't be my last choice either. Depending on who else we can sign, Contreras might be a decent option.