PDA

View Full Version : Computer help please

DanB
01-08-06, 06:30 PM
Ok, I know this isn't meant to be a tech support forum, but I don't like most of those sites, so I'm throwing this out to see if there's a bigger geek than me that can help. Long story, please bear with me.

I tried to turn on my desktop after being gone for about 10 days of vacation. I heard things spin up, but nothing went out to video. The monitor was getting a signal, but nothing showed, not even the bios or self test. My computer is basically self built, a few years old. The basic specs are:

AMD XP 2500
512mb pc2700 RAM
350w psu
nVidia 64mb video card
2 hard drives
DVD burner
CD-rom
floppy
firewire card
onboard audio, lan

OK, so first I thought it might be the video card, so I pulled out an old motherboard and processor, put in the card, attached the psu and it fired up fine. OK, so now it seems like a motherboard or processor problem, so I bought a new mb with the same socket and just put in the old cpu...same thing happened as before, power comes on, fans spin, nothing out to video. OK, so I bought a new processor, same specs, AMD XP 2500 Socket A. Same thing happened. I tried changing psu, and even installed all the new components in a brand new case (in case there was a short or something). The only things I have not swapped out are the video card or the ram...but it I don't know why the video card would work with the old slot A motherboard and not with the motherboard it has been working in for about 2 years. Also, I know the monitor is getting a handshake from the card because it goes from 'no signal' when not plugged in to a blank screen and orange led. I'm tempted to just put it all together and bring it to the "geek squad". Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.

LDG
01-08-06, 06:34 PM
I know you said you don't like most tech support sites, but this one is very helpful. If you cut and paste what you just wrote in the proper forum, I'll bet you'll get your answer.

http://forum.aumha.org/

Evil Empire
01-08-06, 06:35 PM
Perhaps the video card burnt out from something. I'd change the card and check it out. If you have an older spare video card, just swap em and test it to see if it works.

DanB
01-08-06, 06:35 PM
Thanks...I meant to ask for forum recommendations in my post also. I'll give it a shot.

DanB
01-08-06, 06:36 PM
Perhaps the video card burnt out from something. I'd change the card and check it out. If you have an older spare video card, just swap em and test it to see if it works.

I have an older card, but it doesn't fit :( , the thing that confuses me is that the video card works fine with my older mb.

Archer1979
01-08-06, 06:39 PM
No real clue, but here is something that recently happened to me that you might want to consider:

My kids have a Dell Dimension. It was having sporadic problems. When it was off, it would light up the keyboard and spin the DVD drive. Eventually, the thing wouldn't even turn on.

It turns out the power supply burned out. Had it replaced with one of a higher voltage/wattage(?).

I wish I could offer more, but I'm out of my element when the cover is off.

Evil Empire
01-08-06, 06:39 PM
I have an older card, but it doesn't fit :( , the thing that confuses me is that the video card works fine with my older mb.

I don't know why it wouldn't work with the newer MB either.

As for the old card, is it AGP or PCI?

DanB
01-08-06, 06:47 PM
I don't know why it wouldn't work with the newer MB either.

As for the old card, is it AGP or PCI?

It's AGP, but it has the slot at about 1/3 from the port of the card and both my new mb's need the slot at about the 2/3 spot...does that make sense?

Evil Empire
01-08-06, 07:13 PM
It's AGP, but it has the slot at about 1/3 from the port of the card and both my new mb's need the slot at about the 2/3 spot...does that make sense?

I kinda understand. I don't know what to do (online anyway). Worst case, just take it to Geek Squad.

Jersey Yankee
01-08-06, 07:39 PM
Why don't you just haul that jalopy down to the repair shop and get it fixed?

DanB
01-08-06, 07:41 PM
Why don't you just haul that jalopy down to the repair shop and get it fixed?

*sigh* First I have to put it all together, then I have to get over my ego.

:(

Evil Empire
01-08-06, 07:41 PM

:lol: I'd have the same problem.

Jersey Yankee
01-08-06, 07:44 PM

Look, man, if your plane doesn't fly, do you put on a new tail? Then a new wing? Then go out and get a new fuselage? A new engine? New tires? New windows?

Just bring it to the local shop, explain the problem, then let them work on it. There has to be some local techie place, or some local computer mag filled w/ads by you.

There's a place by Manhattan's Korea-town (circa 32nd & Broadway by the Garden) that I take mine to, and it worked fine afterwards.

It'll cost you extra to have them put it back, but if your ego so desires to be soothed, then your wallet will have to support the cost of this.

Put it back together w/the exact same parts as when it gave you the problem, make sure it flutters and twitches exactly as it did before, then haul that jalopy to the shop. That's it.

DanB
01-08-06, 08:08 PM
Look, man, if your plane doesn't fly, do you put on a new tail? Then a new wing? Then go out and get a new fuselage? A new engine? New tires? New windows?

Just bring it to the local shop, explain the problem, then let them work on it. There has to be some local techie place, or some local computer mag filled w/ads by you.

There's a place by Manhattan's Korea-town (circa 32nd & Broadway by the Garden) that I take mine to, and it worked fine afterwards.

It'll cost you extra to have them put it back, but if your ego so desires to be soothed, then your wallet will have to support the cost of this.

Put it back together w/the exact same parts as when it gave you the problem, make sure it flutters and twitches exactly as it did before, then haul that jalopy to the shop. That's it.

Actually, my only real options are Bestbuy or CompUSA. There's no local computer shops around me :( I live in crapville, KY. I've already talked to the "geek squad" at the local Bestbuy, and I was at CompUSA today and they were pretty inept. It would be nice if I was still living in civilization. I think I'm going to throw in a new vid card and if that don't work I'll just quit and take it in.

Jersey Yankee
01-08-06, 08:38 PM
Actually, my only real options are Bestbuy or CompUSA. There's no local computer shops around me :( I live in crapville, KY. I've already talked to the "geek squad" at the local Bestbuy, and I was at CompUSA today and they were pretty inept. It would be nice if I was still living in civilization. I think I'm going to throw in a new vid card and if that don't work I'll just quit and take it in.
There's actually a "geeksquad.com" site around. Here's another:

http://www.switchboard.com/Computers-Service_&_Repair/KY/189-/yellowpages_statewide.htm

I have no idea how CompUSA can't hired quality repair people. Must be more interested in the sales staff than the post-sales fixups. Anyway, there should be some testing kits to test that everything on your PC is working. If anything, use a 2nd PC to verify everything. If nothing still works, then use the 2nd PC in the meanwhile.

If you can't drive to where it needs servicing, see how much it'll cost to pack it and ground ship it.

DanB
01-09-06, 10:05 PM
OK...somebody explain this...I decided i was going to put all the original components back into the original case and just take it to the geek squad at bestbuy. I put it all back together the way it was and now it works like a champ. I don't get it. Oh well, I guess I get to hunt down some RMAs. I think my time as an amatuer geek is over. Thanks for all the input, wish I had an explanation.