PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to bug you guys... Divorce question...

Espinosa's Glasses
01-07-06, 12:20 PM
If a woman is collecting half of a man's retirement fund... and that women was to remarry... Would it affect how much the woman can take from the man...?

mr. baskums
01-07-06, 12:22 PM
If a woman is collecting half of a man's retirement fund... and that women was to remarry... Would it affect how much the woman can take from the man...?

Maybe if it is written that way in the original agreement. I'm not a lawyer so don't take my word as gospel

Bub
01-07-06, 12:24 PM
Laws vary from state to state. I'm not an attorney, but the way I understand it in New York State is that the only thing that changes upon the wife re-marrying is alimony. If an agreement in place has already established a split of an established retirement fund, I doubt that will change upon her re-marrying.

Espinosa's Glasses
01-07-06, 12:25 PM
Ok... its in PA by the way...

This is probably a dumb question... I was just curious...

Bub
01-07-06, 12:30 PM
Ok... its in PA by the way...

This is probably a dumb question... I was just curious...Not a dumb question. I was divorced 10 years ago, and I had lots of questions about the future of things. My first wife waived her right to my pension if I agreed to a hefty child support payment, even though we share custody 50/50. A small gamble on my part...if I live to be at least 70 I'm ahead.

GiambiRocks
01-07-06, 12:38 PM
In New Jersey if a split is court established it doesn't make a difference if spouses remarry.

PalmerGA
01-07-06, 05:12 PM
I can only say that in the case of a military retirement, she would lose a significant portion of her ex's military retirement.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-07-06, 05:22 PM
Alimony payments can end with remarriage, but that stipulation must be incorporated in the divorce papers