PDA

View Full Version : Jon Stewart To Host Oscars: Expectations?

RobRiv
01-06-06, 10:14 AM
With all due respect to the other very funny guys who were reportedly considered to host this year's Oscars (March 5): Crystal, Rock, Conan, Steve Martin -- Jon Stewart is just going to slam this thing out of the park.

Who better than the King Kong of Current Events to skewer Hollywood's biggest night?

Archer1979
01-06-06, 10:15 AM
We won't be hearing from Misti that night.

mentalgidget
01-06-06, 10:16 AM
I tend to like Jon Stewart and the daily Show. I do think he's beginnig to take himself too seriously and I worry that the Oscars willturn into a 4 hour anti-Bush "bit" since that's about 98% of his material on the Daily Show anyhow.

BronxByTheBay
01-06-06, 10:23 AM
Ah...he'll make 8439234320 Bush jokes and will do just fine.

Archer1979
01-06-06, 10:28 AM
I can see the same thing that happened with Lettermans one stint happen to Stewart. Leterman's mistake was that he turned it into a four-hour Late Night Does the Oscars telecast. If Stewart turns this into a four-hour Daily Show Does the Oscars, it could get real old mid-way through the broadcast.

Keep it fresh. Keep it on the Oscars.

gdn
01-06-06, 10:55 AM
I read about this in the morning today and I had the feeling that it could go very badly for Stewart. He's got the kind of humor that's really dead-pan and I'm not sure it would translate well to hosting an awards show.

On the other hand, he doesn't really have to do much. He also is a comic genius, so if anyone can pull it off, he can.

RobRiv
01-06-06, 11:04 AM
Stewart is savvy enough to recognize that Hollywood takes the Oscars extremely seriously, so he won't try to make the event about him. He's also savvy enough to recognize that about a billion people will be watching him, so I think he'll keep the snarky political comments (read Bush-bashing) to a minimum. Playing it more to the middle of the road will help him broaden his fan base. I expect he'll do a fine job of keeping the spotlight, and the laughs on show biz.

If Stewart's fans are expecting him to hijack the Oscars and do a 4 hour "Daily Show" (or a Michael Moore'sque rant) I think they'll be disappointed.

RobRiv
01-06-06, 11:14 AM
By the way, no matter how Stewart delivers on Oscar night, I'd love to see Seinfeld co-host with Larry David one of these years. That would be an Oscar dream-team.

corynnmarie
01-06-06, 11:27 AM
Hell yes. I'm thoroughly excited. :cheer:

Sam18
01-06-06, 12:35 PM
We won't be hearing from Misti that night.

She can still type with one hand.

PeteRFNY
01-06-06, 12:38 PM
One word: smarmy.

penfold
01-06-06, 12:49 PM
I can see the same thing that happened with Lettermans one stint happen to Stewart. Leterman's mistake was that he turned it into a four-hour Late Night Does the Oscars telecast. If Stewart turns this into a four-hour Daily Show Does the Oscars, it could get real old mid-way through the broadcast.

Keep it fresh. Keep it on the Oscars.
:lol:

The first thing that came to mind when I heard Jon Stewart was hosting was, "Uma, Oprah. Oprah, Uma."

Truthfully, I really liked the Letterman stint... but I guess I was the only one. And I fully understand why most Oscar-watchers hated it -- for exactly the reason you stated.

While I'm not too keen on The Tonight Show these days, Jay Leno's probably the man best-suited to host the Oscars. The key is to have just a couple "biting" jokes and then be smooth and inoffensive for the rest of the night. It's a very tough balance. There's a reason why Johnny Carson was so successful as the Oscars host for such a long time. Sadly, he's "booked out of town" this year....

RobRiv
01-06-06, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=penfold

While I'm not too keen on The Tonight Show these days, Jay Leno's probably the man best-suited to host the Oscars. The key is to have just a couple "biting" jokes and then be smooth and inoffensive for the rest of the night. It's a very tough balance. There's a reason why Johnny Carson was so successful as the Oscars host for such a long time. Sadly, he's "booked out of town" this year....[/QUOTE]

Leno does seem like the most obvious choice (therefore too obvious?) to host the Oscars, but why do you suppose he has not?
He's probably not as funny as anybody who has hosted before, (Carson was in a league of his own) but he's certainly varsity enough to go with the "slap 'em, then kiss 'em, kiss 'em, then slap 'em" flow of Oscar night. Leno will get his Oscar turn, I suppose.

#1PaFan
01-06-06, 04:29 PM
Stewart to Host Oscars, Rumsfeld to Give GOP Response

(2006-01-05) — Just hours after the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences named Comedy Channel news anchor Jon Stewart to host this year’s Academy Awards show, the White House announced that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has been tapped to deliver the GOP response.

The Oscars Rebuttal Show, part of ABC-TV’s commitment to fairness, will attempt to refute and debunk the anti-Bush administration remarks that naturally flow from Mr. Stewart and his colleagues as they give little golden statues to people who make up stories and who pretend to be other people.

The White House expects to receive equal time for Mr. Rumsfeld to present the Bush administration perspective, raising concerns about the septuagenarian’s life expectancy and stamina. Insiders say that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will be waiting in the wings as Mr. Rumsfeld’s understudy.

Mr. Stewart, host of The Daily Show, a parody news program, is perhaps best known for telling CNN’s Tucker Carlson: “I’m not going to be your monkey,” when Mr. Carlson challenged Mr. Stewart to be funny on Crossfire.

A spokesman for the Academy, in announcing the emcee deal today, said, “Now, we know whose monkey Jon Stewart is.”

http://www.scrappleface.com/wp-print.php?p=2128

By Scott Ott, Editor-in-Chief, ScrappleFace.com
News Fairly Unbalanced. We Report. You Decipher.

;) :gulp:

PettittesPrincess
01-06-06, 04:31 PM
Well this actually makes me want to watch the Oscars unlike previous years... I think he'll do great.

Barb51850
01-06-06, 05:07 PM
Remember this exchange with Tucker Carlson on Crossfire?

CARLSON: I do think you're more fun on your show. Just my opinion.

(CROSSTALK)

CARLSON: OK, up next, Jon Stewart goes one on one with his fans...

(CROSSTALK)

STEWART: You know what's interesting, though? You're as big a dick on your show as you are on any show.

(LAUGHTER)

CARLSON: Now, you're getting into it. I like that.

STEWART: Yes.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0410/15/cf.01.html

RhodyYanksFan
01-06-06, 05:43 PM
I tend to like Jon Stewart and the daily Show. I do think he's beginnig to take himself too seriously and I worry that the Oscars willturn into a 4 hour anti-Bush "bit" since that's about 98% of his material on the Daily Show anyhow.

He'll be preaching to the chior in Hollywood.

StaceyRosie
01-06-06, 05:44 PM
I think he'll be fine.

NYYBombshell
01-06-06, 06:19 PM
As long as he remembers what his audience that night is, he should be fine.

Luvtino
01-06-06, 10:00 PM
I heart Jon Stewart. I am sure he will be very funny. :)

RhodeyYankee2638
01-06-06, 10:13 PM
They tell you otherwise, but they were afraid to have Rock back. He might bash (gulp) Jude Law again

Dooley Womack
01-06-06, 10:17 PM
As long as he isn't full of himself the entire night (as he tends to get), I'm sure he'll have his good moments.

But....the Oscars...the mainstream OSCARS, Jon, you pseudo-liberal, pseudo-intellectual, you!? I think this proves he isn't the rebel he wants everyone to believe he is, but a typical Hollywood sell-out/whore and "capitalist" that he pretends to despise. It's all about the ca$h money. Nothing wrong with that. Just admit the obvious, Jon.

Maybe next year, the other "bleeding heart" fine-living and dining multi-millionaires, Susan Sarandon and her b*tch Tim Robbins can host.

BTW, I too enjoyed Letterman's stint.

ALR83
01-06-06, 10:28 PM
I do think he's beginnig to take himself too seriously and I worry that the Oscars willturn into a 4 hour anti-Bush "bit" since that's about 98% of his material on the Daily Show anyhow.

I hope not, I really don't care to hear it. :o

This is why I wanted someone else. Anyone really.

PeteRFNY
01-06-06, 10:55 PM
Remember this exchange with Tucker Carlson on Crossfire?

It was certainly interesting hearing perhaps the biggest dick on television refer to someone else as a dick.

I amend my opinion from earlier - I think it will be two words: smarmy a-hole.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-06-06, 11:00 PM
They shoulda got Conan

Stupid Flanders
01-07-06, 01:32 AM
I like Stewart but the Oscars will still be the most boring mutual handjob event on television

gdn
01-07-06, 06:20 AM
As long as he isn't full of himself the entire night (as he tends to get), I'm sure he'll have his good moments.

But....the Oscars...the mainstream OSCARS, Jon, you pseudo-liberal, pseudo-intellectual, you!? I think this proves he isn't the rebel he wants everyone to believe he is, but a typical Hollywood sell-out/whore and "capitalist" that he pretends to despise. It's all about the ca$h money. Nothing wrong with that. Just admit the obvious, Jon.

Maybe next year, the other "bleeding heart" fine-living and dining multi-millionaires, Susan Sarandon and her b*tch Tim Robbins can host.

BTW, I too enjoyed Letterman's stint.Either that or he just wants to do something fun. I've hosted awards ceremonies before (on a much smaller scale) and they're boatloads of fun. I'd do it if they asked me.