PDA

View Full Version : Cigar Fans, Anyone?

51BWilliams
01-05-06, 02:20 PM
My brother and my 2 brother in laws have recently gotten me to quit smoking cigarettes ( i've been 'clean' since labor day ), but we took up smoking stogies when we get together.

Anybody out there a cigar fan as well, and if so, what are some good brands to try?

We have tried the following

Montecristo White and Afrique Jambo
Macanudo
Romeo y Julietta
H.Upmann
Henry Clay
Jose Marti
Montessino
Joya Del Rey
El Rey Del Mundo
Cohibas

Any suggestions for a good smoke?

DontHateOnNumber2
01-05-06, 02:31 PM
I probably shouldn't be commenting but I don't like smoking except maybe salmon one of these days. I was always under the impression that cigar smokers don't inhale and I was wondering if that was true. If that is does that still mean you can't get cancer (God forbid) considering that it isn't entering your lungs?

NYYBombshell
01-05-06, 02:40 PM
You quit smoking cigarettes, but now you're smoking cigars? That's like saying you quit shooting heroin but you're now doing cocaine.

51BWilliams
01-05-06, 02:42 PM
I probably shouldn't be commenting but I don't like smoking except maybe salmon one of these days. I was always under the impression that cigar smokers don't inhale and I was wondering if that was true. If that is does that still mean you can't get cancer (God forbid) considering that it isn't entering your lungs?

Nah, you don't inhale unless you want some serious pain.. Every once in a while I will do it unconscoiusly and it really hurts. Badly.

As for cancer, I would say cigar smoking is not completely without it's risks, but since I am not inhaling, lung cancer is out. I guess you could get it in your mouth, but our 'habit', if you would call it that, is limited to occasional weekends and holidays, so i would say my risk of that is very low.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
01-05-06, 02:52 PM
Sol Cubano Connecticut
Partagas Black Label
Cusano 18
Punch Gran Puro
Danli Reserve
Rocky Patel Vintage 1992
Romeo y Julieta
Gurkha Legend
Bolivar
Cusano Corojo
CAO Gold
Gurkha Regent

bnorris85
01-05-06, 03:00 PM
CAO golds are pretty good

YankyDave
01-05-06, 03:16 PM
Sol Cubano Connecticut
Partagas Black Label Cusano 18
Punch Gran Puro
Danli Reserve
Rocky Patel Vintage 1992
Romeo y Julieta
Gurkha Legend
Bolivar
Cusano Corojo
CAO Gold
Gurkha Regent

I am a big Partagas fan. Personally, I also prefer Dominican to Cuban. I don't see the hype. My preference is a nice medium sized cigar with a Connecticut Shade wrapper and Caribbean fill.

PettittesPrincess
01-05-06, 03:23 PM
You quit smoking cigarettes, but now you're smoking cigars? That's like saying you quit shooting heroin but you're now doing cocaine.

Um it's not really like saying that all.

Every once in awhile I'll have a cigar.... it's so relaxing.

BronxByTheBay
01-05-06, 03:32 PM

That is a terrible analogy, Bombs.

There is nothing wrong with the occasional cigar.

BronxByTheBay
01-05-06, 03:34 PM
I am a big Partagas fan. Personally, I also prefer Dominican to Cuban. I don't see the hype. My preference is a nice medium sized cigar with a Connecticut Shade wrapper and Caribbean fill.

No wonder you don't like cubans - Partagas? Why not smoke some looseleaf paper, YD? ;)

(You're not wrong about cubans existing on a lot of hype, though.)

NYYBombshell
01-05-06, 03:35 PM
That is a terrible analogy, Bombs.

There is nothing wrong with the occasional cigar.

It's going from one stupid habit to another. In that sense, it's fine.

I have no idea why those god-awful things are so popular.

BronxByTheBay
01-05-06, 03:52 PM
It's going from one stupid habit to another. In that sense, it's fine.

I have no idea why those god-awful things are so popular.

Because they're exquisitely made products. They taste wonderful and have fantastic aromas. Anyone that complains cigars stink have never been around good cigars.

NYYBombshell
01-05-06, 04:21 PM
Because they're exquisitely made products. They taste wonderful and have fantastic aromas. Anyone that complains cigars stink have never been around good cigars.

Well, anytime that I've been out a restaurant and there have been people smoking them, it smells god-awful. And you look weird with this big phallic thing hanging out of your mouth.

Women especially look repulsive smoking them. That is the height of unattractiveness.

WebsterMulligan
01-05-06, 04:40 PM
I really enjoy the AVO Uvezian Robusto, or the AVO Maduro #2.

I had some nice pre-embargo (50% Cuban - 50% Dominican filler) pinar cigars, that were really tasty.

BronxByTheBay
01-05-06, 04:55 PM
Well, anytime that I've been out a restaurant and there have been people smoking them, it smells god-awful. And you look weird with this big phallic thing hanging out of your mouth.

Women especially look repulsive smoking them. That is the height of unattractiveness.

Cigars are one of the finer vices in life. If you see a "phallic thing" hanging out of a cigar smoker's mouth, that would be a YOU issue. ;)

RhodeyYankee2638
01-05-06, 04:58 PM
My brother and my 2 brother in laws have recently gotten me to quit smoking cigarettes ( i've been 'clean' since labor day ), but we took up smoking stogies when we get together.

You can be like Buck from Uncle Buck. You have the 4step plan. Go from cigs to cigars to pipes to chew then quit

NYYBombshell
01-05-06, 05:08 PM
Cigars are one of the finer vices in life. If you see a "phallic thing" hanging out of a cigar smoker's mouth, that would be a YOU issue. ;)

TBH, I didn't come up with that. George Carlin did, but when you think about it, he's right.

If you like them, that's what counts although I can't understand why. It's still smoking something and it's still dangerous.

yankeesnum1
01-05-06, 05:28 PM
I enjoy a Macanudo Portofino every once in a while

BronxByTheBay
01-05-06, 06:10 PM
TBH, I didn't come up with that. George Carlin did, but when you think about it, he's right.

And Freud said "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". ;)

51BWilliams
01-05-06, 10:24 PM
You see, my problem is that I live in this little ................ty town where the only place to get cigars is a gas station or a grocery store, and white owls and phillies blunts just don't cut the mustard.. The rite aid sells Macanudos, but they are 28 bucks for 5 Petite Coronas, which is a massive rip off, so I am forced to mail order them. I usually go thru www.jrcigars.com, does anyone else here use any other sites?

Barb51850
01-05-06, 10:59 PM

I totally agree with you Barry. My brother smokes good quality cigars, and I love the smell. We went to our favorite local Italian restaurant for New Years Eve (which was a very cigar-friendly place in the days before the no-smoking law). As it got close to midnight, my brother said "I wish I could smoke a cigar." Immediately after midnight, the owner lit one and announced "Everybody can smoke." What a sight it was as the men ran for the humidor. Too bad it was only for one night. :(

jonnyc39
01-05-06, 11:15 PM
No, no it's not at all. :p

jonnyc39
01-05-06, 11:20 PM
BTW, if people are smoking cigars for the aroma, I ask: why not smoke a pipe? I'd take the smell of a good pipe over a cigar any day.

I'd smoke one if I wasn't 22 years old.

BronxByTheBay
01-06-06, 12:41 AM
You see, my problem is that I live in this little ................ty town where the only place to get cigars is a gas station or a grocery store, and white owls and phillies blunts just don't cut the mustard.. The rite aid sells Macanudos, but they are 28 bucks for 5 Petite Coronas, which is a massive rip off, so I am forced to mail order them. I usually go thru www.jrcigars.com, does anyone else here use any other sites?

www.arnoldstobacco.com.

I can vouch for the quality and service. Their Madison ave. shop closed down last January, which broke my heart, but I'm sure their mail order is top notch.

BronxByTheBay
01-06-06, 12:45 AM
BTW, if people are smoking cigars for the aroma, I ask: why not smoke a pipe? I'd take the smell of a good pipe over a cigar any day.

I'd smoke one if I wasn't 22 years old.

Cigars are much richer in flavor than pipes.

I totally agree with you Barry. My brother smokes good quality cigars, and I love the smell. We went to our favorite local Italian restaurant for New Years Eve (which was a very cigar-friendly place in the days before the no-smoking law). As it got close to midnight, my brother said "I wish I could smoke a cigar." Immediately after midnight, the owner lit one and announced "Everybody can smoke." What a sight it was as the men ran for the humidor. Too bad it was only for one night. :(

What people don't understand about cigars is it's the equivelent to eating a wonderful steak, or drinking great wine or scotch.

I haven't had any in a few years, but when I did smoke here were my favorites:

Padron 3000 Maduro
Padron Anniversario Pyramid Maduro
St. Luis Rey
Arturo Fuente sun grown wrapper...I forget what the size is called now, but it was a small robusto.

51BWilliams
01-06-06, 08:24 AM
Cigars are much richer in flavor than pipes.

What people don't understand about cigars is it's the equivelent to eating a wonderful steak, or drinking great wine or scotch.

I haven't had any in a few years, but when I did smoke here were my favorites:

Padron 3000 Maduro
Padron Anniversario Pyramid Maduro
St. Luis Rey
Arturo Fuente sun grown wrapper...I forget what the size is called now, but it was a small robusto.

I can see the analogy with the steak. WHen you get a really good one, it's a blessing.

Funny you should mention the A. Fuente. I've got a Special Reserva thats going to meet it's end tonight :)

montrealer
01-06-06, 02:30 PM
Romeo y Julietta.......exquisite with a nice single malt scotch....oh lets say a Glen Morangie Cherry Wood 12 yr old. :badass:

montrealer
01-06-06, 02:36 PM

Obviously they were smoking imitations.Cigars do not stink.Been smoking cubans for 20 yrs. and sipping a nice single malt to go along with it. ;) One of lifes simple pleasures.Thank you.

51BWilliams
01-06-06, 02:51 PM
Romeo y Julietta.......exquisite with a nice single malt scotch....oh lets say a Glen Morangie Cherry Wood 12 yr old. :badass:

MMMM, those RyJ's are so good, I;ve got a robusto sampler coming in next week that should be a treat. 35 bucks for 10 and nice ashtray with their logo on it.. Great deal..

As for scotch, i guess it's an aquired taste, i just cant get into it. I tried again on christmas eve, I had some Johhny Walker Blue and a nice H.Uppman, and the scotch was OK, but not for me. I've tried it maybe 5 times, and I just can't get into it. The only reason i drink it when i pour it because im not going to waste such expensive booze :)

fredgmuggs
01-06-06, 02:55 PM

I'm not a cigar aficionado but I'm with you about Glenmorangie.... truly one of life's most sublime pleasures.

montrealer
01-06-06, 05:17 PM
MMMM, those RyJ's are so good, I;ve got a robusto sampler coming in next week that should be a treat. 35 bucks for 10 and nice ashtray with their logo on it.. Great deal..

As for scotch, i guess it's an aquired taste, i just cant get into it. I tried again on christmas eve, I had some Johhny Walker Blue and a nice H.Uppman, and the scotch was OK, but not for me. I've tried it maybe 5 times, and I just can't get into it. The only reason i drink it when i pour it because im not going to waste such expensive booze :)

I drink single malts most or time ....but JW Blue :drool:
For a blend it`s quite nice thank you.

montrealer
01-06-06, 05:19 PM
I'm not a cigar aficionado but I'm with you about Glenmorangie.... truly one of life's most sublime pleasures.

For the four they sell at Hurley`s Pub in Montreal I have a hard time deciding which one. ;)

fredgmuggs
01-06-06, 05:48 PM
For the four they sell at Hurley`s Pub in Montreal I have a hard time deciding which one. ;)

Hurley's Pub, thanks..... if I ever get to Montreal I'll be sure to stop in. Funny, I grew up in a suburb of Buffalo, so I've been to Toronto many times but never to Montreal. I'll have to right that omission very soon. Where I really want to go is Scotland -- taking a malt whisky tour :) .

I agree with you about the blends... but I did start out by drinking them (I like The Famous Grouse as well as any of the blends). Although Glenmorangie is my favorite, I seldom purchase it for the house because I know I'll go through it too fast. Usually, I stick to Glenlivet because I know I can make it last longer (well, a little longer anyway ;) ).

Kulish29
01-06-06, 06:03 PM
Cigars and Yoohoo. A favorite pastime my friends and I have.

My favorite cigar is the Cohiba Red Dot.

montrealer
01-07-06, 08:24 AM
Hurley's Pub, thanks..... if I ever get to Montreal I'll be sure to stop in. Funny, I grew up in a suburb of Buffalo, so I've been to Toronto many times but never to Montreal. I'll have to right that omission very soon. Where I really want to go is Scotland -- taking a malt whisky tour :) .

I agree with you about the blends... but I did start out by drinking them (I like The Famous Grouse as well as any of the blends). Although Glenmorangie is my favorite, I seldom purchase it for the house because I know I'll go through it too fast. Usually, I stick to Glenlivet because I know I can make it last longer (well, a little longer anyway ;) ).

Famous Grouse is Hurley`s standard bar scotch so I`m quite familiar with it.Hurley`s Pub has a cigar lounge(That will close May 31) and a selection of 75 single malts and assorted blends.Some are quite expensive....$25 t0 $50 for a dram.
www.hurleyspub.ca

They now have a large selection of American bourbons also.

gsars5
01-07-06, 10:38 AM

I have sorta the same problem in my town, although the beer distributer has a good selection, they are just so damn expensive. I see you order online, I've heard that in NY you will get slapped with a big tax bill if the site doesn't take it out at time of tha order. Is that true?

51BWilliams
01-07-06, 11:59 AM
I have sorta the same problem in my town, although the beer distributer has a good selection, they are just so damn expensive. I see you order online, I've heard that in NY you will get slapped with a big tax bill if the site doesn't take it out at time of tha order. Is that true?

I never heard of that, where are you getting this from? Cuz Ill wipe my ass with their bill :)

gsars5
01-07-06, 12:27 PM
I never heard of that, where are you getting this from? Cuz Ill wipe my ass with their bill :)

Well I know one website I went to said for NY customers they will add a 37% tax to the total. Also I remember reading about a year ago that the state is doing this to go after the taxes they are losing from people buying their cigarettes from Indian reservations online and mail order. I also know this happened to my father in Florida because he would order my mother's cigs from mail order as well, although he has a Florida address. Are you using a credit card or are you sending them a check? Probably if you use a check or money order it won't matter. I don't know for sure, I was going to have my brother who lives in Connecticut buy them with his credit card so we can beat the taxes. :)

montrealer
01-07-06, 03:48 PM

When Fidel kicks off you guys should kiss and make up with Cuba so you can enjoy one of lifes pleasures.Nothing like a honest to God fresh hand rolled on a virgin`s thigh real cuban cigar. :drool:

BronxByTheBay
01-07-06, 05:27 PM
When Fidel kicks off you guys should kiss and make up with Cuba so you can enjoy one of lifes pleasures.Nothing like a honest to God fresh hand rolled on a virgin`s thigh real cuban cigar. :drool:

I got news for you - when/if the Cuban market becomes available to the U.S., I wouldn't touch a Cuban cigar for at least three years. Everybody and their brother in Cuba will be offering everything from their lawn clippings to pictures of their favorite uncle rolled in tobacco leaf.

montrealer
01-07-06, 07:59 PM
I got news for you - when/if the Cuban market becomes available to the U.S., I wouldn't touch a Cuban cigar for at least three years. Everybody and their brother in Cuba will be offering everything from their lawn clippings to pictures of their favorite uncle rolled in tobacco leaf.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Espinosa's Glasses
01-08-06, 09:14 AM
I can hardly do the expensive cigars... I don't know why...

Give me Black and Milds or Black Max and I'm good

HidekiIrabu
01-08-06, 02:59 PM

Yea but men look good smoking them, or atleast think they do.

KENMonteSS86
01-09-06, 11:16 AM
I'm a HUGE cigar fan--you've already tried most of the ones I like, but here are a couple more...

Arturo Fuente (personally, my favorites are the double chateau fuente and the Hemingways)

Don Diego (just about ANYTHING would be good)

Playboy by Don Diego (I kid you not--has to be the easiest-smoking cigar I've ever had, and my absolute favorite...you can smoke it right down to the stub and have no aftertaste)

Enjoy!

Kevin

51BWilliams
01-09-06, 03:53 PM
I'm a HUGE cigar fan--you've already tried most of the ones I like, but here are a couple more...

Arturo Fuente (personally, my favorites are the double chateau fuente and the Hemingways)

Don Diego (just about ANYTHING would be good)

Playboy by Don Diego (I kid you not--has to be the easiest-smoking cigar I've ever had, and my absolute favorite...you can smoke it right down to the stub and have no aftertaste)

Enjoy!

Kevin

I had an Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva 8-5-8 on Saturday, and I liked it alot.

Ill try a sampler pack of the Don Diegos sometime. JR Cigars has a deal on them right now, 25 of the Anniversario's in special show box for 75 bucks, which seems like a good deal.

Mark19
01-10-06, 01:32 AM
CAO is my favorite brand. There top of the line cigars are excellent but you can't go wrong with a moderately-priced Brazilia.