PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to see King Kong..

JfromJersey
01-05-06, 12:12 PM
Was it too long? Yes, but any 3 hour movie is too long.
This movie was light years better than the first remake of the classic.
Plot holes? Of course, but what fantasy film doesn't?
Was it a perfect movie? No. I have problems with several things about Jackson's film. While there were many sublime moments, there were quite a few ridiculous ones as well. Jackson seems to have fallen into the same trap as Spielberg, Lucas and Cameron. He is so in love with CGI, that he fails to honor the maxim, less is more. Fewer and more logical effects would have served KK better. For those who have already seen this movie, I will just mention 3 CGI dominated scenes that I put in the category ridiculous, or even absurd:
Dinosaur Stampede
Bug Attack
T-Rex Attack
Good initial effects become laughable through overkill.
The best parts of KK, what I would even call the sublime aspects, are the quieter scenes. Kong and Anne at the mountain lair, in Central Park, and the breathtaking finale on top of the Empire State Building. I also think perhaps the best thing about Jackson's film (and also LOTR), are the sets. The recreation of Depression era NYC, and the Skull Island sets, were fantastic. One final sublime thing about King Kong..
Naomi Watts..who was radiant and put all her fellow actors to shame.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-05-06, 12:21 PM
The recreation of Depression era NYC, and the Skull Island sets, were fantastic. One final sublime thing about King Kong..

What set, it was done on green screens

Sam18
01-05-06, 12:28 PM
It was one of the funniest films of the year.

DontHateOnNumber2
01-05-06, 01:38 PM
Just because of the scale of the movie, the overdone scenes, the super-long movie I will catch this and I'll most likely see it in the theatres before it's too late. Not before Hostel though.

WebsterMulligan
01-05-06, 03:53 PM
My suggestion to anyone interested in seeing this movie, is to arrive about 50 minutes late.

JfromJersey
01-05-06, 04:58 PM
What set, it was done on green screens

However it was done, it was effective, and a lot more believable than guys dodging brontasaur legs, or wrestling human sized cockroaches, and emerging without a scratch.

Thorn
01-05-06, 06:23 PM
My favorite part was when the worm swallowed the guy.

RhodyYanksFan
01-05-06, 07:36 PM
My favorite part was when the worm swallowed the guy.

:barf: I had to leave the theater during that part. I don't handle bugs well.