PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Crashes When Opening a PDF File

BronxByTheBay
01-04-06, 08:22 PM
Everytime I click a link containing a PDF file, my firefox browser freezes and crashes.

Anyone else having this and more importantly anyone know of a fix?

YankeeClemens22
01-04-06, 08:25 PM
Any PDF file? Sometimes the PDF plugin makes you think it's frozen because it is a large PDF file and it is still loading...

BronxByTheBay
01-04-06, 08:26 PM
Any PDF file? Sometimes the PDF plugin makes you think it's frozen because it is a large PDF file and it is still loading...

Nope. Any and EVERY pdf file brings the same result - freeze and crash.

WashingtonYankee
01-04-06, 11:18 PM
Nope. Any and EVERY pdf file brings the same result - freeze and crash.

I'm with you on this. How does one fix it?

RhodyYanksFan
01-04-06, 11:40 PM
Are you running the new beta of whatever version is coming out next? PDF might not be written in to the beta.

Dooley Womack
01-04-06, 11:51 PM
I'm not experiencing the same problems that you are, but I am noticing a few other bugs and flaws with Firefox (1.0.7).

A little OT here.

Firefox is not the golden child that it once was. As a matter of fact it now seems to have more security holes than IE. It was inevitable once its popularity grew. I still prefer Firefox to IE for silly personal reasons - the way my wireless Microsoft Intellimouse scrolls pages with it and how the page moves more quickly as I highlight text from top to bottom. But, I DO notice how much more stable IE 6 that came with XP's Service Pack 2 is; moreso than Firefox's. IE's pop-up blocker is even better than Firefox.

Here's an article from a zdnet blog addressing the security issues. The author is a well renowned geek (he's an advanced networking and server architecture expert) and knows his stuff:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=103&tag=nl.e550

NYYBombshell
01-05-06, 01:10 AM
Everytime I click a link containing a PDF file, my firefox browser freezes and crashes.

I have never had that problem. I'm not very techno-savvy, so I wouldn't know the first thing to tell you. Sorry. :(

Vin
01-05-06, 01:25 AM

have you tried downloading a new version of acrobat?

Dooley Womack
01-05-06, 02:38 AM
From the moderator in the Firefox support forum. It's frpm May 2005, but might apply:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206216&sid=22ddbab332e1e457afcec700dbd700a9#acrobat

YankeeClemens22
01-05-06, 10:18 AM
I'd suggest reinstalling firefox, then reinstalling the acrobat plugin, then try a plugin for Firefox called PDF Download.