PDA

View Full Version : One miner survives explosion in West Virginia

yeahimweird
01-04-06, 03:09 AM
It was initally reported that 12 of the 13 miners had survived, but now, it's just been confirmed that only one survived. Families were actually told that their loved ones were alive, as well. :(

Sorry about no link, it's breaking news on CNN.

MiamiKat
01-04-06, 03:56 AM
Somebody really f*cked up here.

It seems that incorrect information that all but one miner survived got out to the media and the families before it was corroborated.

Then no one in any position of authority bothered to tell the media or the families that this information wasn't corroborated, so it was reported as fact.

What a nightmare. And, of course, what a tragedy for the families of the deceased.

NYDCYankee
01-04-06, 04:11 AM
Seems like there was a miscommunication from the rescue teams. At least at this point.

NYDCYankee
01-04-06, 04:22 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/04/mine.explosion.wed/index.html

Grief and anger replaced jubilation early Wednesday as mine officials announced that, despite earlier reports, only one of 13 trapped miners had survived a West Virginia mining accident.

Late Tuesday, word spread among family members that 12 miners had been found alive at the Sago Mine. Celebrations erupted as church bells rang out.

Hours later, however, some miners' loved ones -- some angry, others silently dejected -- began leaving the community church that had been their sanctuary since the ordeal began Monday morning.

What they had to say was unbelievable in light of the earlier news of a "miracle" in the mine.

The few who would talk to the gathered media said mining officials had told them only one of the miners had survived.

Mining company officials confirmed that at a news conference.

Seems like they died of carbon monoxide

yankeebot
01-04-06, 05:36 AM
This is just so sad. And what a horrible way to have to make a living.

NYDCYankee
01-04-06, 05:48 AM
Have you seen any of the reporters being told by the victims families about what happened.

Some lady is telling Anderson Cooper all this the first time and he seems horrified.

PettittesPrincess
01-04-06, 05:59 AM
Have you seen any of the reporters being told by the victims families about what happened.

Some lady is telling Anderson Cooper all this the first time and he seems horrified.

That was heartbreaking to watch. Absolutely awful.

NYDCYankee
01-04-06, 06:02 AM
That was heartbreaking to watch. Absolutely awful.

Cooper looked like he wasn't sure if he could believe those people it was really really painful.

shutout
01-04-06, 06:15 AM
The way those people died must have been horrific. It's also a big misstake that they at first told the families everyone survived.

Danmel
01-04-06, 06:50 AM
Not to mention the fact that the mining company had hundreds of violations at that location. They had no business sending people down there- it was a death trap- a disaster waiting to happen. How they continue to get away with this is beyond belief- it is heartbreaking. It is also criminal.

NYDCYankee
01-04-06, 06:55 AM
It's also a big misstake that they at first told the families everyone survived.

There is still no confirmation on how that news got spread, someone said on TV that a family member got a call on their cell and told everyone. But it is still unknown.

nhyankeefan
01-04-06, 07:03 AM
There is still no confirmation on how that news got spread, someone said on TV that a family member got a call on their cell and told everyone. But it is still unknown.

At this point there will be so much finger pointing as to who spread the mis-information that we'll probably never know. It doesn't even really matter at this point, I feel so bad for those families. I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster they have been on.

ChocolateGirl
01-04-06, 09:42 AM
They need to find out who was the person that related the false news to the families. That was a very unprofessional and idiotic thing to do. :o Not only were the families misinformed, but the media went along with this misinformation as well without waiting for confirmation as to wheather the info was true or not. :uhh:

Anyhow what a sad ending to a horrible tragedy. :(

penguin4
01-04-06, 09:53 AM
Apparently what happened was, according to an article I read, someone received a message on a cell phone saying that they'd found the miners and were "checking their vital signs" and somehow (I guess literally) through the game of telephone, that turned into "12 of the miners were alive". I don't think you can place the blame on one person here; misinformation happens all the time and all kinds of rumours spread. It's just that this was a matter of life and death, the immediacy of it, that only heightened the impact, and everyone's desire to know right away, so people were lying in wait for any word, whether or not confirmed.

ChocolateGirl
01-04-06, 10:54 AM
Apparently what happened was, according to an article I read, someone received a message on a cell phone saying that they'd found the miners and were "checking their vital signs" and somehow (I guess literally) through the game of telephone, that turned into "12 of the miners were alive". I don't think you can place the blame on one person here; misinformation happens all the time and all kinds of rumours spread. It's just that this was a matter of life and death, the immediacy of it, that only heightened the impact, and everyone's desire to know right away, so people were lying in wait for any word, whether or not confirmed.

I could understand how there could be miscommunication between the loved ones and people who were waiting around because rumors (wheather true or not) do travel fast. But how do you explain the media running with the story and printing the false outcome in today's newspapers? Although it is not 100% the media's fault, they look like fools more than anyone for giving America the wrong information that they received from random people.

Anyhow it is so sad to see how these men made it through the New Year and had fun with friends and family only to be killed on Jan 2nd. :(

SuperMario66
01-04-06, 11:13 AM
I feel just as terrible for the one who survived as any of the others. He is going to have a pretty rough existence from here on out. My thoughts and prayers are with all of them.

Jersey Yankee
01-04-06, 11:46 AM
I could understand how there could be miscommunication between the loved ones and people who were waiting around because rumors (wheather true or not) do travel fast. But how do you explain the media running with the story and printing the false outcome in today's newspapers? Although it is not 100% the media's fault, they look like fools more than anyone for giving America the wrong information that they received from random people.

Anyhow it is so sad to see how these men made it through the New Year and had fun with friends and family only to be killed on Jan 2nd. :(
I was someplace and on CNN or some other news show, someone said that they'd needed a miracle, and that's exactly what they got. Then when I got home, I'm hearing that 12 were dead, rather than 12 survivors. Afterwards, I heard a woman crying something like, "Why would they do this to us?"

From what I heard, people overheard what was being said on by the attempted rescuers, then people jumbled it up. I'm not too sure if the conversations amongst those trying to rescue were just misheard. If so, I don't think you can blame those rescuers, but to fault the ones who misheard and took this as fact, as well as the news media which reported this w/o checking.

I also heard people say they wouldn't have been as upset had they originally heard of the 12 deaths.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-04-06, 12:37 PM
Earlier in the day, they said the mine was filling with Carbon Monoxide, so hopefully the death was quick and painless for the men. Apparently the CEO of the mine told the families in a church that he had screwed up and the families tried to attack him.

PettittesPrincess
01-04-06, 12:39 PM
Sounds like it was gossip that went really really wrong.. I dunno it's awful, and what moron would report that to the press or anyone without confirmation?

ChocolateGirl
01-04-06, 12:46 PM
From what I heard, people overheard what was being said on by the attempted rescuers, then people jumbled it up. I'm not too sure if the conversations amongst those trying to rescue were just misheard. If so, I don't think you can blame those rescuers, but to fault the ones who misheard and took this as fact, as well as the news media which reported this w/o checking.

I am not blaming the rescuers. It is possible that they relayed the correct message "that everyone was found". Possibly that rumor spread fast and people become misinformed and thought 12 were found alive. But there was never concrete confirmation on which miners were dead or alive". Therefore, the media and newspaper journalist should be blamed for taking information from random people and running with a false story. The headlines should have been "Bodies found yet no word on whether dead or alive". Although the families were rejoicing it was the media's job to be cautious and confirm that what they were rejoicing about was indeed true.

PettittesPrincess
01-04-06, 12:48 PM
I am not blaming the rescuers. It is possible that they relayed the correct message "that everyone was found". Possibly that rumor spread fast and people become misinformed and thought 12 were found alive. But there was never concrete confirmation on which miners were dead or alive". Therefore, the media and newspaper journalist should be blamed for taking information from random people and running with a false story. The headlines should have been "Bodies found yet no word on wheteher dead or alive". Although the families were rejoicing it was the media's job to be cautious and confirm that what they were rejoicing about was indeed true.

I think the families rejoicing is what prompted the media to report they were alive, at least thats what happened on the program I was watching. It's sad but blaming people wont bring them back.

ChocolateGirl
01-04-06, 01:07 PM
I think the families rejoicing is what prompted the media to report they were alive, at least thats what happened on the program I was watching. It's sad but blaming people wont bring them back.

Right and I am saying their rejoicing should not have prompted them to report that. No blaming people won't bring them back, but I heard on MSNBC that a women from one family is suing for the miscommunication. They are already fuming that the worksite was not suitable for their loved ones to work at. Now the miscommunication (which at this point might or might not be important to the families) adds more fuel to the fire. People want the truth, not to be put on an emotional roller coaster. What took so long for the information to be relayed to the families, who spread the wrong information in the process and furthermore why were these miners allowed to work at this mine site which had a lot of safety violations?

Anyhow, we will get the story of what happened with the communication sooner or later. When that one survivor gets out of the hospital, he could also possibly shed some light on what happened. However, it will be a while before there is closure for these families. There are a lot of questions that needs to be answered.

GiambiRocks
01-04-06, 01:30 PM
Live each day to it's fullest with love in your heart. Live life with a purpose and never once forget to give back. Yesterday is history, today is a gift and tomorrow is a mystery.

StaceyRosie
01-04-06, 01:34 PM
I went to bed with the news that 12 of the them survived and then I get to work this morning and find out 12 out of 13 died...how horrible. So sad. :(

Barb51850
01-04-06, 01:39 PM
I went to bed with the news that 12 of the them survived and then I get to work this morning and find out 12 out of 13 died...how horrible. So sad. :(

I had the same experience. I was listening to the radio before I fell asleep, and the report was the 12 were alive. This morning I heard the bad news.

DiMaggio5CF
01-04-06, 01:57 PM
If they said that everyone (all thirteen) survived and then came out with only one, it would make sense that they were wrong. But if word was that twelve survived (one dead) and it turned out that twelve died (one survived), that sounds more like a misunderstanding to me.

From what I've been able to gather from various readings, the rescue command center got word that twelve were alive, a report that was probably a misunderstanding. They sat on this information until they could get confirmation, but in the meantime, someone picked this information up and reported to the families as fact.

So if someone picks up a rumor and reports it as fact, it's not the rescuers' fault.

I also wouldn't blame the rescuers if they just made a mistake. I have no idea what it was like in there, but I doubt they could just stick their heads in and count up how many people are still alive; it's probably slightly more difficult than that. So even if they really thought there were twelve alive and reported that to command center, how upset with them can you be? They're in there trying to save lives. Even if that's the case, if command center didn't release the info, then they're not to blame.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-04-06, 01:59 PM
If they said that everyone (all thirteen) survived and then came out with only one, it would make sense that they were wrong. But if word was that twelve survived (one dead) and it turned out that twelve died (one survived), that sounds more like a misunderstanding to me.

From what I've been able to gather from various readings, the rescue command center got word that twelve were alive, a report that was probably a misunderstanding. They sat on this information until they could get confirmation, but in the meantime, someone picked this information up and reported to the families as fact.

So if someone picks up a rumor and reports it as fact, it's not the rescuers' fault.

I also wouldn't blame the rescuers if they just made a mistake. I have no idea what it was like in there, but I doubt they could just stick their heads in and count up how many people are still alive; it's probably slightly more difficult than that. So even if they really thought there were twelve alive and reported that to command center, how upset with them can you be? They're in there trying to save lives. Even if that's the case, if command center didn't release the info, then they're not to blame.

In the latest press conference, the CEO of the Mine took full responsibility for the misreport

Chesbro41
01-04-06, 02:01 PM
Those poor families. How heartbreaking. Talk about a rollercoaster of emotions...my heart breaks for them

Jersey Yankee
01-04-06, 05:20 PM
I am not blaming the rescuers. It is possible that they relayed the correct message "that everyone was found". Possibly that rumor spread fast and people become misinformed and thought 12 were found alive. But there was never concrete confirmation on which miners were dead or alive". Therefore, the media and newspaper journalist should be blamed for taking information from random people and running with a false story. The headlines should have been "Bodies found yet no word on whether dead or alive". Although the families were rejoicing it was the media's job to be cautious and confirm that what they were rejoicing about was indeed true.
Noooooooooo, not saying you'd blame the rescuers. You're one of my top people here, so I wouldn't do that. :D :)

I'm guessing that whoever got on the cell phone, and part of the press conference I'd heard from the Pres & CEO, was that some employees had gotten on their cell phones, was likely overly optimistic. I can't blame them for this, but getting the info correct is more important than being the first to get the info.

I'll agree, if anyone, it should've been the media, in an obvious headline news story that's to be played out on every single national news station worth its salt. It's better to wait until you get the correct story, rather than the wild rumor that others are running with.

Jersey Yankee
01-04-06, 05:21 PM
Those poor families. How heartbreaking. Talk about a rollercoaster of emotions...my heart breaks for them
I still can't forget that around 11pm or so, I heard, "we needed a miracle and we got one", or something to that effect (*NOT* an actual quote), but then heard the opposite around 3am.

Talk about a need for damage control on that company's execs' part.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-04-06, 05:31 PM
I still can't forget that around 11pm or so, I heard, "we needed a miracle and we got one", or something to that effect (*NOT* an actual quote), but then heard the opposite around 3am.

Talk about a need for damage control on that company's execs' part.

I went to bed at 2 and the people on the news were so happy and I went onto yahoo this morning and it said 12 miners found dead, and I was floored. Thats a huge huge piece of miscommunication

Jersey Yankee
01-04-06, 05:52 PM
I went to bed at 2 and the people on the news were so happy and I went onto yahoo this morning and it said 12 miners found dead, and I was floored. Thats a huge huge piece of miscommunication
Well then it must've been 12:30 or 1am, becuz I was in a watering hole last night and heard of the 12 survivors, only to hear about the single survivor in critical condition around 3am or a little later then.

At that time, I wasn't overly worried about time, but I do remember having gone to bed around 4:30 this morning. Bars close at 2am from Sun-Thu, so it's easy to figure out where you were and when.

PettittesPrincess
01-04-06, 06:39 PM
Right and I am saying their rejoicing should not have prompted them to report that. No blaming people won't bring them back, but I heard on MSNBC that a women from one family is suing for the miscommunication. They are already fuming that the worksite was not suitable for their loved ones to work at. Now the miscommunication (which at this point might or might not be important to the families) adds more fuel to the fire. People want the truth, not to be put on an emotional roller coaster. What took so long for the information to be relayed to the families, who spread the wrong information in the process and furthermore why were these miners allowed to work at this mine site which had a lot of safety violations?

Anyhow, we will get the story of what happened with the communication sooner or later. When that one survivor gets out of the hospital, he could also possibly shed some light on what happened. However, it will be a while before there is closure for these families. There are a lot of questions that needs to be answered.

Suing for the miscommunication? Can they even do that? On the news they said the if the violations were that serious the mine would have been shut down... of course they deserve answers, but suing??

DontHateOnNumber2
01-04-06, 06:50 PM
I can't even imagine the feelings the families felt after thinking that their family members were alive only to find out it wasn't true. My condolences to the family, may the fallen miners rest in peace. :(

SheffRocks11
01-04-06, 09:39 PM
It was initally reported that 12 of the 13 miners had survived, but now, it's just been confirmed that only one survived. Families were actually told that their loved ones were alive, as well. :(

Sorry about no link, it's breaking news on CNN.

That's horrible. The worst part is that the families thought they were alive. :(

PeteRFNY
01-05-06, 02:16 AM
The screw up is not really the mining company's fault...from what I saw/heard today, they were at the site trying to get the facts straight and didn't realize how out of control the rumors were spreading.

I thought it was pretty laughable, the way the media horde kept trying to pin the screw up on the mine reps at the press conference this afternoon...they're the ones that screwed up and they try to pin the blame on everyone else.

All they had to do was say "we're hearing from the the families that there may be some survivors, but haven't confirmed anything". Instead, all the media outlets were reporting the story as FACT (with graphics that read "miners found alive", etc.).

But this is typical of the new media - why should I be surprised?

Oddly enough, after listening to reports all day on Tuesday about there not being much chance that there could be any survivors; reports of lethal carbon monoxide levels within the mine; reports of there being no usable air supply; I stared at my TV in disbelief over what I was hearing and seeing when the reports of "12 survivors" started coming across.

Don't ask me why, but I had a gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach that what I was looking at was somehow horribly wrong. Other than what I had seen all day, there were tell-tale signs that not all was as it appeared to be. Why were no survivors being brought out from the mine? Why no press conference? I noted that the only source seemed to be the relatives, and wondered to myself if it were all true. I hoped it was, but had serious doubts.

When I awoke this morning to find out that my concerns were correct, I shook my head. You would think there could be no way to make a story as tragic as this even moreso, but the media found a way to do it.

silverdsl
01-05-06, 09:46 AM
Interesting article here: http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001804568 about how one West Virginia paper, with help from a later deadline than other newspapers, held off on running with the story because they were familiar with the area and knew that it was a freqent occurance that that people spread stories without good sourcing.

-Deborah

penguin4
01-05-06, 10:57 AM
If you read the articles about the 12 survivors, they'll note that one miner was brought out dead and that "friends and family members said" the rest had survived. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I think a lot of news sources -- and that includes major papers like the Times -- probably took that as fact; when a whole town is rejoicing and hundreds of people are saying the same thing, and you want to get out the news, that's what works, and it was a late breaking story anyway, so as it was papers had to rush to get it to press. It's not right, but hey, if the Post can publish an "exclusive" multipager saying Kerry chose Gephardt, anybody can print anything.

I can't speak for all papers, but if you look at Newsday's early editions that carried the "survivor" story (from what I understand when the "12 dead" story broke the night editor went back and just before the 5 AM deadline redid all those pages as well as the cover), the articles all say "compiled from news services" with no byline, an indication, again, that they took all their information from the wire, from AP reports and the like. And since a lot of papers rely on the wire to fill their pages when they can't send a reporter themselves, you can see how it spread so quickly. (I'd imagine the Times, which wouldn't dare publish a story on the front page bylined from a writer other than their own, just hired a rewrite person to spin out something based on the reports.) It's sad that all this happened, but unfortunately, that's how the media works; again, I think if the "survivor" story broke mid-afternoon, as opposed to late in the evening, there would've been more time to put everything together.

Arod for President
01-05-06, 11:43 AM
Seems like there was some miscommunication there. My heart goes out to the families that are involved.

yankeesAZ
01-05-06, 01:12 PM
I get USA Today delivered and I got the front page that said 12 were alive and I went to the post office and saw the same day paper, but with the cover saying only 1 survived. Very sad regardless.

Hopefully, this changes the way news gets reported, but I doubt it. Everyone is in too big a hurry to plaster "BREAKING NEWS" on their TV news shows. Most of the time locally, what constitutes "breaking news" is a fireman rescuing a cat out of a tree. But that's a rant for another day.

The safety violations are reprehensible, but hardly shocking. Many big businesses (besides mining) are permitted to run wild in regards to safety. Any safety implementation might drop the stock value .0000000000000000001% and we can't have that happen.