PDA

View Full Version : Arod to play in WBC now... as possibly is posada....

Stryder2929
01-03-06, 10:19 PM
Alex Rodriguez - 3B - Yankees

According to the New York Times, Alex Rodriguez will announce this week that he has changed his mind and will play for the United States team in the WBC.
Rodriguez said last month that he wouldn't play in the tournament because he didn't want to dishonor the U.S. or the Dominican Republic. The Times is also reporting that it's possible Jorge Posada will play for Puerto Rico after all. Jan. 3 - 10:58 pm et
Source: New York Times

==================

from rotoworld

all i have to say is.. Sh**

NYDCYankee
01-03-06, 10:45 PM
Maybe this means Posada has been traded.

JDPNYY
01-03-06, 10:46 PM
Great news. Let 'em all play. F the Yankees.

Evil Empire
01-03-06, 10:47 PM
Sigh....here comes the Arod hate....

hellonewman
01-03-06, 10:47 PM
Unbelievable.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-03-06, 11:10 PM
I like A-Rod, but c'mon, just make up your mind and be done with it. I figure at this point, if he goes he's a lock to get injured. ;)

Sheff_Rod
01-03-06, 11:36 PM
I don't care about A-Rod, DJ, Damon, Bernie, Posada, Cano, Wang or Mo.... I just hope Migue Cairo doesn't play, we need a healthy Miggy for '06.

Sheff_Rod
01-03-06, 11:49 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/04/sports/baseball/04chass.html

And there's a link of the article the original poster was talking about.

I haven't read it because I don't read anything that POS writes.

AlongCameAPrincess
01-03-06, 11:56 PM
Another chapter in the Arod novel. I don't blame him, he's still quite young and making tough choices in front of the world must be a pain in the butt. I hope that he plays *if* he wants to play, which apparently, he does.

NYYBombshell
01-04-06, 12:11 AM
Jesus............is Alex asking to get torn apart by the media?

SuperMario66
01-04-06, 12:13 AM

As neutral as I am on this topic, I really think you are right. There is going to be some serious bashing going on.

NYYBombshell
01-04-06, 12:18 AM
As neutral as I am on this topic, I really think you are right. There is going to be some serious bashing going on.

I'm sure he's not thinking of it like that, but at some point he's got to realize that there are some people out there with an agenda just waiting for something like this so they can get their digs in. I feel bad for the guy because he genuinely doesn't deserve it, but I wish he'd quit making it easy for these sh*t-peddlers.

MiamiKat
01-04-06, 12:32 AM
Gene Orza (from the players' union) said he was going to talk to A-Rod after Alex said he wasn't going to play in the WBC...looks like he got through.

:mad:

bleachersown
01-04-06, 12:42 AM
I don't care about A-Rod, DJ, Damon, Bernie, Posada, Cano, Wang or Mo.... I just hope Migue Cairo doesn't play, we need a healthy Miggy for '06.

OMG, we see eye to eye on this one.

Mattpat11
01-04-06, 12:50 AM
Mother................er.

yankeebot
01-04-06, 04:52 AM
Eh. Whatever. I did like the title of the article:

It's Always All About the Yankees

shutout
01-04-06, 05:00 AM
Man, I certainly hope this will be his final answer. I deteste this flip-flopping. OR you're gonna play OR you're not. Simple. Make up your mind man.
If he wants to play for the USA, that's fine, but let this be his final decision.

From the article
""Every player has a right to play or not to play," Gene Orza, the union's chief operating officer, said Monday. "You only hope the player who says no has a full understanding of the tournament and the consequences of his nonparticipation, especially when it's a player who wouldn't be here and who wouldn't have the new contract he has but for the association.""

What the heck... Are they threatening players? (here they were talking about Matsui)

nhyankeefan
01-04-06, 05:34 AM
Man, I certainly hope this will be his final answer. I deteste this flip-flopping. OR you're gonna play OR you're not. Simple. Make up your mind man.
If he wants to play for the USA, that's fine, but let this be his final decision.

From the article
""Every player has a right to play or not to play," Gene Orza, the union's chief operating officer, said Monday. "You only hope the player who says no has a full understanding of the tournament and the consequences of his nonparticipation, especially when it's a player who wouldn't be here and who wouldn't have the new contract he has but for the association.""

What the heck... Are they threatening players? (here they were talking about Matsui)

According to that quote, it sounds like they are threatening players. I wonder how much money the players union will make off this.

shutout
01-04-06, 05:40 AM
According to that quote, it sounds like they are threatening players. I wonder how much money the players union will make off this.

Yeah exactly. Under this it rightaway is about Matsui who got a deal thanks to the assocation (accordingly). It just shows why unions should be abolished alltogether. Sickening. I ws in favour of everyone participating in the WBC, but if they want to enforce it this way I'll say: screw the union.

PoughVirginiaYankee
01-04-06, 07:24 AM
Wow....interesting....so, I guess he really did want to play all along - glad he's able to do what he wants to finally.

ryanthe13th
01-04-06, 08:04 AM
A-Rod for DH.

-tz
01-04-06, 08:12 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/04/sports/baseball/04chass.html

And there's a link of the article the original poster was talking about.

I haven't read it because I don't read anything that POS writes.Well, I read it ...

And Rodriguez, who said he couldn't decide whether to play for the United States or the Dominican Republic and didn't want to insult the one he didn't choose, is expected to announce this week that he has changed his mind and will play for the United States team.
Posada will not catch for the Puerto Rican team, though that decision could also change. The Puerto Rican baseball federation requested Posada's presence, but the Yankees asked Major League Baseball to excuse him. Officials in the commissioner's office reviewed the Yankees' request and, mistakenly thinking the players union shared the view, accepted it.

gdn
01-04-06, 08:16 AM
Oh, who cares.

effdamets
01-04-06, 08:16 AM
This just tells me that A-Rod really does give a rat-spit about what the media/people think of him.

I liked Matsui's stance through all of this WBC nonsense: "Matsui said last week the he would pass up the tournament to concentrate all of his efforts on winning a championship with the Yankees"... "I fear that chasing two goals might get in the way of that dream", Matsui said.

Don't the New York Yankees pay this guy's salary? Shouldn't that be his first committment?

This whole WBC (which to me is, and will always be, a boxing classification) debacle is just another way of Selig trying to murder baseball. What a putz!

silverdsl
01-04-06, 08:50 AM
I like A-Rod, but c'mon, just make up your mind and be done with it. I figure at this point, if he goes he's a lock to get injured. ;)I have to agree - I said it in the last go-round about A-Rod and the WBC - make a decision and stick to it! If he wants to play then choose a team and play. If he doesn't want to play, then don't play. Btw, I think that Orza and A-Rod have always been tight so it should come as no surprise that Orza might try to influence A-Rod's decision but A-Rod has got to learn to just dig in his heels and do what he wants, then deal with the consequences whatever they may be. He simply can't please everyone, all the time.

-Deborah

Irabu's Son
01-04-06, 09:58 AM
This whole thing gets lamer by the minute. It's like a soap opera

YankClipper5
01-04-06, 10:08 AM
This nonsense of Selig's is falling apart because guys like Matsui and Mo who are the face of baseball in their countries are wanting to sit out and fulfill their contractual obligation. Not for nothing, it really doesn't seem much different than when Boone played a game of pickup Baskets, just the Selig has a vested interest in this. If they wanted a competition like this why not do it similar to that tour of Japan thing a couple years ago and have it in November right after the series? I am not really in favor of it at any time where it interferes with the MLB but it seems much more logical to have it in November than interfere with the Spring Training regimen of the players. Oh Well.....

BeantownYankee
01-04-06, 10:40 AM
This nonsense of Selig's is falling apart because guys like Matsui and Mo who are the face of baseball in their countries are wanting to sit out and fulfill their contractual obligation. Not for nothing, it really doesn't seem much different than when Boone played a game of pickup Baskets, just the Selig has a vested interest in this. If they wanted a competition like this why not do it similar to that tour of Japan thing a couple years ago and have it in November right after the series? I am not really in favor of it at any time where it interferes with the MLB but it seems much more logical to have it in November than interfere with the Spring Training regimen of the players. Oh Well.....
Definately agree. It will be interesting what happens if any of these players get hurt during the WBC.

ryanthe13th
01-04-06, 10:51 AM
So far I haven't read any other article about this other than the one posted, and it's not on the Yankees or MLB.com site. Right now, I'm taking this claim very lightly.

BronxBombers2005
01-04-06, 10:56 AM
oh come on, let him do what he wants to do.....If he wants to go who cares, just as long as he doesnt get injured. When ever his name gets mentioned in a topic it is always blown of out perportion.

RhodyYanksFan
01-04-06, 11:04 AM
He is gonna get bashed to no end now. I hate to do it, but he's like a woman. Make up your mind already!

PinstripePride
01-04-06, 11:31 AM
*cue soap opera music*

AJW
01-04-06, 11:51 AM

................ Bud Selig and his vested interest. Remember, never put the words Bud Selig and thinking in the same sentence.

DiMaggio5CF
01-04-06, 12:17 PM
Well I guess that means Posada's slump will begin in August instead of September this year. I'm sure it's worth it.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but I just really don't get all of this WBC hype.

JeffWeaverFan
01-04-06, 12:18 PM
I thought Posada isn't allowed to play. This whole thing is pissing me off.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-04-06, 12:31 PM
A-Rod made a fantastic choice

nojoke
01-04-06, 12:47 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5220644
Fox Sports too, seems like similar article

spiritof27
01-04-06, 12:59 PM
Yeah exactly. Under this it rightaway is about Matsui who got a deal thanks to the assocation (accordingly). It just shows why unions should be abolished alltogether. Sickening. I ws in favour of everyone participating in the WBC, but if they want to enforce it this way I'll say: screw the union.

That is one of the scariest things I've ever read on this board. Seriously. Won't make this into a political discussion but if you or your parents only work 40 hours a week and 8 hours a day you can thank unions for that. Get paid at least minimum wage? Thank the unions. Get to work in a decent place that isn't a hazard to your health and get breaks? Again - that would be thanks to labor unions.

Have unions done some things I don't agree with? Sure. But labor unions are what this country is built upon and keep us being the best, most decent country in the world.

The baseball union is also a good thing. It brought you free agency, the end of stuff like the Black Sox and other things that help to make baseball the great sport it is. It, too, has done some things I don't agree with and its power has gotten a little out of control. But if we'd never had unions or if unions were suddenly "abolished", as you say, our country and its citizens would be in for a world of hurt.

At any rate, that statement from Gene Orza was a little scary. I think he's getting wound a little too tight about the whole thing. I hope no Yankees play in this thing as I don't want to see anyone getting hurt. Make it mean something and at a better time and I'll be all about it. But in the middle of spring training - I can't really care. But at least there'll be some baseball on soon.

DiMaggio5CF
01-04-06, 01:56 PM
That is one of the scariest things I've ever read on this board. Seriously. Won't make this into a political discussion but if you or your parents only work 40 hours a week and 8 hours a day you can thank unions for that. Get paid at least minimum wage? Thank the unions. Get to work in a decent place that isn't a hazard to your health and get breaks? Again - that would be thanks to labor unions.

Have unions done some things I don't agree with? Sure. But labor unions are what this country is built upon and keep us being the best, most decent country in the world.

The baseball union is also a good thing. It brought you free agency, the end of stuff like the Black Sox and other things that help to make baseball the great sport it is. It, too, has done some things I don't agree with and its power has gotten a little out of control. But if we'd never had unions or if unions were suddenly "abolished", as you say, our country and its citizens would be in for a world of hurt.

At any rate, that statement from Gene Orza was a little scary. I think he's getting wound a little too tight about the whole thing. I hope no Yankees play in this thing as I don't want to see anyone getting hurt. Make it mean something and at a better time and I'll be all about it. But in the middle of spring training - I can't really care. But at least there'll be some baseball on soon.

A little overreaction here, IMO. Saying "screw the MLBPA" is a lot different than saying "screw unions."

Unions in general created safe working conditions, but how good is a union at creating safe working conditions when it fought steroid testing at every turn?

Nobody is saying that unions are bad, but a lot of people have an issue with this particular union.

keithf1
01-04-06, 02:05 PM
I'd like to say he doesn't care but I think he does deep down.

keithf1
01-04-06, 02:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2280183

MiamiKat
01-04-06, 02:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2280183
You know, it's going to take me a real long time to get used to "Johnny Damon of the New York Yankees".

TheInfallibleOne
01-04-06, 02:36 PM

this makes a lot of sense. who cares about the starting lineup as long as we KEEP OUR UTILITY MAN!!!!

there had better be some sarcasm that im missing here.

DiMaggio5CF
01-04-06, 02:40 PM
this makes a lot of sense. who cares about the starting lineup as long as we KEEP OUR UTILITY MAN!!!!

Quick -- look up!

tdel23
01-04-06, 02:58 PM
this sucks

YankClipper5
01-04-06, 03:06 PM
Definately agree. It will be interesting what happens if any of these players get hurt during the WBC.

I hate to wish injury on anyone but it would be a real kick in the chops to see a competitive small market team's star go down to injury in this thing. Can you imagine a team like Minnesota losing Johan Santana or the A's losing Zito or Chavez for the season or even a large part of the season because of this. I woouldn't say I want to see it happen but it will take something like that to create the backlash to rethink and replan this WBC spectacle.

Zac
01-04-06, 03:15 PM
wow the hate is strong in this thread.

KevinBaseball
01-04-06, 04:02 PM
I hate to wish injury on anyone but it would be a real kick in the chops to see a competitive small market team's star go down to injury in this thing. Can you imagine a team like Minnesota losing Johan Santana or the A's losing Zito or Chavez for the season or even a large part of the season because of this. I woouldn't say I want to see it happen but it will take something like that to create the backlash to rethink and replan this WBC spectacle.

Thats an excellent point, you know the majority of people have their AROD, Jeter, and Damon voodoo dolls are prepped for the WBC, but if a Santana goes down, people will be in an uproar.

On another note, although I dislike the idea, if they played anywhere near me I'd be first on line for a ticket. I wonder who else would pony up the cash for something they don't even support.

Kulish29
01-04-06, 04:04 PM
This whole WBC thing is a joke. They should crap it. It's pointless and unnecessary

RhodeyYankee2638
01-04-06, 04:05 PM
wow the hate is strong in this thread.

Its a stupid tournament, much like the World Series was back in the day. These world class athletes are susceptible to a myriad of injuries in this arduous 3 game tourney!! Oh the horrors, the horrors

Kulish29
01-04-06, 04:06 PM
I see a flop of XFL like proportions. It'll last one year, then, no one will care.

YankClipper5
01-04-06, 04:07 PM
Thats an excellent point, you know the majority of people have their AROD, Jeter, and Damon voodoo dolls are prepped for the WBC, but if a Santana goes down, people will be in an uproar.

On another note, although I dislike the idea, if they played anywhere near me I'd be first on line for a ticket. I wonder who else would pony up the cash for something they don't even support.

HAHA I am on the fence about attending. I don't want to financially support something I disagree with so that they have an excuse to continue it. On the point of small market clubs and finances, another important consideration is that these small market clubs are budgeted around their star player, not only does it impact on field performance, but the finances of paying an injured player and the obvious decline in interest in a losing team. There is no way a small market club can be competitive if they lose their star because unlike the Yanks and Sox and Angels and such they can't make a trade because not only does it financially cripple the team but they lose out on the prospects they were counting on.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-04-06, 04:09 PM
I see a flop of XFL like proportions. It'll last one year, then, no one will care.

Good thing this tourney will have real players

Boogiedown Bomber
01-04-06, 04:10 PM
Good thing this tourney will have real players

and if Cuba can play, then this tourney will truly be worth watching.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-04-06, 04:13 PM
and if Cuba can play, then this tourney will truly be worth watching.

Exactly. It seems like the atheletes are really into playing, especially since baseball is out of the Olympics (oh, thats another good useless tourney huh)

AlongCameAPrincess
01-04-06, 04:23 PM
You know, it's going to take me a real long time to get used to "Johnny Damon of the New York Yankees".

My strategy is make Johnny in pinstripes my avatar so I can look at it and get used to it quicker: but it's not working! I get freaked out every.single.time! :eek:

aeromac76
01-04-06, 04:48 PM
I hate to say it, but I'd be happy if no Yankees participated.
This whole thing is crap..

If I were the Yankees I'd tell Selig up and down, if we lose a player, you ain't getting the luxury tax for that player's salary, screw you.

I mean, the Yankees are paying these guys millions to play for them. If someone like Arod got hurt and went down with injury for the year god forbid, I'd tell Selig we will be deducting the 16 million we pay Arod from this year's revenue sharing/luxury tax check. These guys play for the Yankees.
I expect them to be in shape and ready for a full season when the bell rings. Period. I don't want some fake tourney to have implications on our baseball season.

Not to mention, imagine a little team like Panama with only one star, Mariano Rivera, having a surprising lead over the US or DR in the 6th inning. We may very well see Mo for the 12 out save!! In which case, the manager of Panama would have to worry about me assasinating him. These guys are going to be on teams under managers who have them for three weeks and will not care about burning them out beyond that because hell, it is not their problem.

I don't want any of my players in these games. Not any of them. I want them under the supervision of the management and training staff of the Yankees. All the time. I don't want them to be told to play through a nagging injury or put on the mound for 7 innings and 100 pitches before a full proper spring training.

This whole things terrifies me completely. I can just see our great roster having a hole in it because of this stupd classic, and like I said, if it happened, I'd tell Selig he can stuff his revenure sharing/luxury tax check where the sun don't shine..

keithf1
01-04-06, 04:59 PM
I was too focused on the A-Rod headline and just now read Posada is going to play. I think that is idiotic. Our aging, declining, catcher gets to wear himself down that much more...

spiritof27
01-04-06, 05:08 PM
A little overreaction here, IMO. Saying "screw the MLBPA" is a lot different than saying "screw unions."

Unions in general created safe working conditions, but how good is a union at creating safe working conditions when it fought steroid testing at every turn?

Nobody is saying that unions are bad, but a lot of people have an issue with this particular union.

The man said "this shows why unions should be abolished alltogether." Unions. Not the player's union. But unions, in general.

And the union f'ed up bad on the steroids issue, but ownership and Selig weren't too interested in doing anything about it until recently, either.

sullim4
01-04-06, 05:11 PM
This whole WBC thing is a joke. They should crap it. It's pointless and unnecessary

Why? What makes something pointless and unnecessary? Hockey fans sure didn't feel that the World Cup of Hockey was pointless and unnecessary, and hockey is a far more physical sport than baseball is and as such is far more prone to injury. Why not just "crap" the ASG because it's pointless?

Answer: It's good for the sport and the fans. Sometimes you have to put the sport before an individual player or team. I for one am looking forward to it. In any event, you know as well as I that ARod has a better chance of getting into an auto accident than getting injured in the WBC. Does that mean that we should prevent him from driving in a car? Before making a blanket statement like that tell us why you feel that way.

Getting back OT, ARod should have made this decision weeks ago. Unless you, at one point in time in your life, spent a significant amount of time in another country, you should play for your home country. It's only fair and prevents cronies from forming a team together.

Kulish29
01-04-06, 05:29 PM
Why? What makes something pointless and unnecessary? Hockey fans sure didn't feel that the World Cup of Hockey was pointless and unnecessary, and hockey is a far more physical sport than baseball is and as such is far more prone to injury. Why not just "crap" the ASG because it's pointless?

Answer: It's good for the sport and the fans. Sometimes you have to put the sport before an individual player or team. I for one am looking forward to it. In any event, you know as well as I that ARod has a better chance of getting into an auto accident than getting injured in the WBC. Does that mean that we should prevent him from driving in a car? Before making a blanket statement like that tell us why you feel that way.

Getting back OT, ARod should have made this decision weeks ago. Unless you, at one point in time in your life, spent a significant amount of time in another country, you should play for your home country. It's only fair and prevents cronies from forming a team together.

What makes it pointless and unnecessary? It's an idea by Bud Selig to make MLB's pockets fatter. Teams should not have to worry about having their All-Star athletes, who they pay millions to, getting injured by playing in some pointless tourney set up by Bud Selig.

This isnt even remotely close to anything like the Olympic Baseball tourney because pros arent allowed to play in the Olympics, only amateur players and people not playing in MLB were allowed to participate.

sullim4
01-04-06, 06:40 PM
What makes it pointless and unnecessary? It's an idea by Bud Selig to make MLB's pockets fatter. Teams should not have to worry about having their All-Star athletes, who they pay millions to, getting injured by playing in some pointless tourney set up by Bud Selig.

This isnt even remotely close to anything like the Olympic Baseball tourney because pros arent allowed to play in the Olympics, only amateur players and people not playing in MLB were allowed to participate.

I respect your opinion and I do agree with you that it fattens MLB's coffers. But I don't see why that's a bad thing. The WBC promises to make spring training interesting and exciting to watch, something that it currently is not. If you have 25 man all-star rosters on these teams, not every player is going to be playing every inning. I don't see how these players will be seeing significant playing time beyond what they would have ordinarially seen in ST. And really, without exhibitions such as the ASG, would we really have "All-star" athletes?

Again though this really isn't any different than the World Cup of Hockey and that was a huge success, and I see no reason why this can't be either.

-tz
01-04-06, 07:05 PM
"Source: A-Rod hasn't committed to WBC" is the latest, now on Yankees.com ...

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060104&content_id=1291123&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Despite a report in the New York Times, which said that A-Rod is "expected to announce this week that he has changed his mind and will play for the United States team," a source with knowledge of the situation said that the reigning American League MVP has not committed to participating in the event. Did anyone else read that entire article in the Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/04/sports/baseball/04chass.html), which is the apparent sole source of the rumor that A-Rod had changed his mind and WOULD play? It's a vicious anti-Yankee diatribe by Murray Chass, beginning ...

FOR Major League Baseball's entry onto the international stage, the role of the requisite Ugly Americans is being played by the Yankees.

They have already established themselves as the Ugly Yankees, and before the inaugural World Baseball Classic is played in two months, they are a good bet to become even uglier.

JDPNYY
01-04-06, 07:21 PM
If there has to be a WBC, I'd prefer that Bernie would be the only Yankee participant.

keithf1
01-04-06, 07:52 PM
This thing will never happen again if anyone with a big name gets hurt.

Davios
01-04-06, 08:20 PM
Don't know if its been mentioned but I have read the idea is that Posada would DH for Puerto Rico while Pudge does the catching duties.

On the subject of the WBC I am totally into it, but alot of that has to do with me being a big soccer fan and seeing what the World Cup does for the game. I would be fully behind this event if it wasn't actually MLB running it but rather an international organization perhaps. I'm not saying either side is right or wrong but it is very interesting to see opinions here regarding this event and those in Europe regarding something like the World Cup. There is essentially close to no opposition to the Cup while here the WBC seems to be detested. Top Organizations with the best players in the world such as Real Madrid, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, and Barcelona do not have any control over their players, if they are chosen as starters on a national team and are healthy and willing to participate it is solely to the player's discretion.

Not only that, during players' respective seasons they have to go off and train as well as participate in serious qualifers with other teams. Needless to say players constantly get injured, but it is simply accepted and people don't blame the actual event.

YankyDave
01-04-06, 08:24 PM
I am going to post in this thread.

YankyDave
01-04-06, 08:25 PM
I am retracting my prior statement.

Sheff_Rod
01-04-06, 08:29 PM

.........:giveup:

hardrain
01-04-06, 08:34 PM
Perhaps Alex got a hold of new polling data in order to make his decision. I mean, that's what they do on West Wing. :dunno:

BobbyMurcerFan
01-05-06, 01:23 AM
A little overreaction here, IMO. Saying "screw the MLBPA" is a lot different than saying "screw unions."...But how do you interpret "It just shows why unions should be abolished alltogether."?

NYDCYankee
01-05-06, 04:20 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/61015.htm

AROD hasn't changed his mind yet.

effdamets
01-05-06, 07:53 AM
It'll never be in November because that makes too much sense! And besides, Selig is a total d*ck!

effdamets
01-05-06, 08:06 AM
I wonder if Steinbrenner will begin writing clauses into players' contracts prohibiting participation in these national exhibitions, unless it is the olympics.

Could you imagine of Mo decides to pitch, and hurts his shoulder? Or if A-Rod decided to play and tears an achillies tendon?

I liked A-Rod's comments in the George King article about being able to be honor both family and heritage while playing baseball (probably because I don't want him playing in Selig's money grabbing exhibition).

I have built up full hatred for Bud Selig at this point.

shutout
01-05-06, 09:14 AM
First about Unions:
I don't like them at all. They've got way too much power. Here they even agree to something called CAO's (collective workers agreement) on national levels. They make deals which are exactly the same for everyone. Somebody is only giving 80% and another 100%: both get payed just as much.
People here get lazy and don't care about the company they work for anymore. If they need to work some overtime, most are immediately complaining and / or are stamping their feet on the ground to demand more money.
They did some good things: I agree, but nowadays...

WBC:
I'm actually in favour (let's just ignore this redicilous stupid threatening union) of the WBC: Let's think about the people who live in for instance Panama or the Dominican Republic: they never get a chance to see their fellow countrymen play. But this will be televized there continuesly: finally they'll see their stars play. Hopefully they'll get motivated and inspired to change their lives themselves, like those players did. It shows them what dedication and motivation will bring you.
Here, in The Netherlands, MLB isn't on television normally, only some attention during the WS. This, however, will be broadcasted. The players will be named and the franchises they're from. For instance: Arod will play terrific: the commentators will say he's from the Yankees: people here will get interested in the yankees, read about them and even buy their stuff: hence: larger fanbase.
Also: people will get to see baseball on the highest level, with the best players in the world. People will get motivated to play baseball themselves.

I think it's a great thing for baseball.

YankClipper5
01-05-06, 09:59 AM
WBC:
I'm actually in favour (let's just ignore this redicilous stupid threatening union) of the WBC: Let's think about the people who live in for instance Panama or the Dominican Republic: they never get a chance to see their fellow countrymen play. But this will be televized there continuesly: finally they'll see their stars play. Hopefully they'll get motivated and inspired to change their lives themselves, like those players did. It shows them what dedication and motivation will bring you.
Here, in The Netherlands, MLB isn't on television normally, only some attention during the WS. This, however, will be broadcasted. The players will be named and the franchises they're from. For instance: Arod will play terrific: the commentators will say he's from the Yankees: people here will get interested in the yankees, read about them and even buy their stuff: hence: larger fanbase.
Also: people will get to see baseball on the highest level, with the best players in the world. People will get motivated to play baseball themselves.

I think it's a great thing for baseball.

Honestly, from the standpoint that this gives MLB exposure, it is a weak argument that this will lift interest. The participating nations are already baseball countries, and places like the Dominican and Japan follow their stars over here very closely, be it gathering at cafes or reading papers. The interest is already planted in these countries. I don't see this doing much more for baseball than say a national baseball night television contract with the countries involved. If they want to develop emerging baseball markets, perhaps an all-star tour, similar to what was done in Japan a few seasons ago in NOVEMBER, would be just as effective to that extent. the WBC is a joke because it interferes with the training regimen of teams and players who are contractually obligated to those teams. Are these players volunteering to fork over their cash should they get injured? Even if they don't get injured, the disrupt the training schedule of the team, yet again impacting their contractual obligations. Another poster said it would make Spring Training exciting, well to be honest, here in Arizona, people cut out of work and the games are always sold out, tourists come here to enjoy spring training, and it is generally a fun environment. ST is ST, it should remain that way, not have some big competition jammed into it.

MiamiKat
01-05-06, 01:06 PM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/61015.htm

AROD hasn't changed his mind yet.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Despite a published report yesterday that predicted A-Rod will play for America's team, he said nothing has changed.

"The union and MLB have contacted me and they want to meet and talk," the Yankees' All-Star third baseman told The Post yesterday from Miami. "I am going to honor their request and talk to them."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

So it looks like Selig and Orza are putting pressure on A-Rod to play.

(Don't do it, Alex!)

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-05-06, 01:08 PM
Don't know if its been mentioned but I have read the idea is that Posada would DH for Puerto Rico while Pudge does the catching duties.

That would certainly be preferable from a yankee point of view, but with the inning limits on guys, I'd be surprised if they had Posada but only used him as DH.

Edit - I hadn't seen Molina's name on the list, but apparently both Bengie and Yadier are playing, so that would make it pretty easy for Posada to be kept just at DH.

NYYBombshell
01-05-06, 01:09 PM
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;">Despite a published report yesterday that predicted A-Rod will play for America's team, he said nothing has changed.

"The union and MLB have contacted me and they want to meet and talk," the Yankees' All-Star third baseman told The Post yesterday from Miami. "I am going to honor their request and talk to them."

</td></tr></tbody></table>

So it looks like Selig and Orza are putting pressure on A-Rod to play.

(Don't do it, Alex!)

I hope he doesn't. This whole thing is stupid and our boys shouldn't be playing in it.

shutout
01-05-06, 01:23 PM
Honestly, from the standpoint that this gives MLB exposure, it is a weak argument that this will lift interest. The participating nations are already baseball countries, and places like the Dominican and Japan follow their stars over here very closely, be it gathering at cafes or reading papers. The interest is already planted in these countries. I don't see this doing much more for baseball than say a national baseball night television contract with the countries involved. If they want to develop emerging baseball markets, perhaps an all-star tour, similar to what was done in Japan a few seasons ago in NOVEMBER, would be just as effective to that extent. the WBC is a joke because it interferes with the training regimen of teams and players who are contractually obligated to those teams. Are these players volunteering to fork over their cash should they get injured? Even if they don't get injured, the disrupt the training schedule of the team, yet again impacting their contractual obligations. Another poster said it would make Spring Training exciting, well to be honest, here in Arizona, people cut out of work and the games are always sold out, tourists come here to enjoy spring training, and it is generally a fun environment. ST is ST, it should remain that way, not have some big competition jammed into it.

Let's just agree to disagree ;)

shutout
01-05-06, 01:27 PM
But how do you interpret "It just shows why unions should be abolished alltogether."?

Uhm I think the dude understood I was typing at a moment I was pissed off because of the Union threatening players. Anyway: Honestly: like I said earlier: I'm not a big fan of unions indeed. But I was pissed at sertain moment in time. Let's just say I want them to have less power (much less power) compared to what they've got these days.

What can I say? I'm not that of a socialist guy.

bnorris85
01-05-06, 02:25 PM
I still think the WBC is a great idea.

SoCal Pinstriper
01-05-06, 02:34 PM
I support this tournament, but I don't think players should be pressured to participate. Frankly, whether or not any individual player participates will not effect the fervant interest that this event will create throughout the baseball world. Players should be allowed to make their own decisions without pressure from MLB or MLBPA.

LuckyLopez
01-05-06, 02:53 PM
I think the thing that amuses me most about baseball fans is how deep the irrational hatred for Selig has become. And its just in EVERY baseball fan. He's just become the epitome of evil for nearly everyone who watches. Which I have no doubt is part of the reason that so many fans dislike the WBC. If ANYONE other than Selig were the driving force behind this tournament I'd imagine that the objections to it would drop significantly, or at least decrease in their passion. But its Bud's idea so it MUST be bad.

There's a part of me at this point that genuinely believes that if Bud Selig found the cure for cancer millions of baseball fans would reject it out of hand. The level of which Selig is blamed and attacked for things just strikes me as insane.

effdamets, that's not meant as a shot at you. I was already going to type this before I read your post, I just thought that your line was the perfect starting point.

effdamets
01-05-06, 03:02 PM
I think the thing that amuses me most about baseball fans is how deep the irrational hatred for Selig has become. And its just in EVERY baseball fan. He's just become the epitome of evil for nearly everyone who watches. Which I have no doubt is part of the reason that so many fans dislike the WBC. If ANYONE other than Selig were the driving force behind this tournament I'd imagine that the objections to it would drop significantly, or at least decrease in their passion. But its Bud's idea so it MUST be bad.

There's a part of me at this point that genuinely believes that if Bud Selig found the cure for cancer millions of baseball fans would reject it out of hand. The level of which Selig is blamed and attacked for things just strikes me as insane.

effdamets, that's not meant as a shot at you. I was already going to type this before I read your post, I just thought that your line was the perfect starting point.
That's OK. Look, everyone's opinion is different. I know that. We have this board (thank heavens) to express ours. I just believe that Selig has been ruining baseball for a number of years. But that does not deter me from being a huge baseball fan.

On the contrary, if Bud came up with a cure for cancer, I don't think I would hate it. However, the likelihood of that are about as remote as me growing to be 9 feet tall, given his stupidity level.

blazennyfan
01-05-06, 03:10 PM
what a loser he decides to pick u.s. over d.r. now his ads and his commercials will be permantly taken off and people in d.r. will s*** on him forever.

LuckyLopez
01-05-06, 03:23 PM
Well, obviouslly I was exaggerating a bit with that "cure for cancer" thing. But that is sort of how I feel. I wouldn't get into a huge debate about whether Bud's been a good commish or a bad one because honestly I'm not much of a fan of his. I think he's done some stuff that's been bad for baseball (some of the ownership moves come to mind, his foot shuffling on the steroid issue), I think he's done some stuff that's good for baseball (the wildcard, the minor league drug testing), and I think he's done some stuff that can go either way (revenue sharing, luxury tax), but I'm mostly on the fence about the guy. But I just think its crazy how severe the hatred for Selig has gotten. The vast majority of baseball fans seem to blame him for everything and seem to hate everything that comes from his office. I could almost understand it if it was just a Yankee fan thing because Yankee fans have such a perceived idea (I have no idea how true it may be) of Bud just systematically attacking the Yanks, but it really is all baseball fans. I think the ultimate example of that one is the whole All Star Game tie which most baseball fans threw at Selig's feet even though Torre and Brenley were to blame (if any one individual was) and Selig made the only call he could. He then made a move to avoid it happening again and was torn apart for that one as well. Its a very minor footnote in baseball's history but it strikes me as the perfect example of Selig just being blamed for everything and being unable to win.

Its pretty common for me to find myself in a conversation with an intelligent baseball fan who just ends up contradicting himself in an effort to shoot down every Bud idea. Or its common for me to realize that the other party doesn't really know anything about the issue we're discussing but he still passionately hates it just because of its source. I see the same thing when it comes to debates about sabermetrics, Bill James, Moneyball, or Billy Beane. There's just a core of baseball fans who HATE these ideas and people and often times don't actually address the issues, just the source. Its gotten to a point where its like a political debate and all of the pitfalls that exist in those.

I think there's plenty of people who would object to this tourney regardless of who it came from. Because I think plenty of the complaints people have are sincere ones (the threat of injury, the validity of the tournament). But I also think that it becomes heightened by the "Bud Games" tag that so many people have labeled on it. I imagine there's quite a few fans who would oppose the "World Baseball Classic" but not nearly as much as they hate and oppose the "Bud Games."

MiamiKat
01-05-06, 07:04 PM
what a loser he decides to pick u.s. over d.r. now his ads and his commercials will be permantly taken off and people in d.r. will s*** on him forever.
Did you read the NY Post article linked above?

A-Rod hasn't decided yet whether or not he's playing in the WBC at all.

ericns1
01-05-06, 07:29 PM
This tournaament is a piece of garbage and lets hope it is never done again. Just play an inning and then they all should take themselves out "fake" injuries.

YankeePride1967
01-05-06, 07:29 PM
I have XM and on his morning show this morning, the manager of the US team Buck Martinez said that A-Rod, as of today has NOT committed to play for the US team. Let's wait for some more word before we proclaim A-Rod evil.

Casey37
01-05-06, 07:43 PM
I just don't get it. Why is this thing such a big conflict for Alex? USA? Dominican? Who cares?

My main concern is that he doesn't get hurt. That said, I honestly don't care what team he winds up playing with.

Jersey Yankee
01-05-06, 07:46 PM
Why is he a loser for not playing for a team where he wasn't born? Since Alex was born in the US of A, how is he a loser for not playing there?

Perhaps he should just do like Matsui and not play for either team. If he decided against playing for the team where he was born, would Americans also think he was a loser?

He gets so much flack for everything, it's pretty ridiculous.

YankeePride1967
01-05-06, 07:47 PM
I just don't get it. Why is this thing such a big conflict for Alex? USA? Dominican? Who cares?

My main concern is that he doesn't get hurt. That said, I honestly don't care what team he winds up playing with.

True, but also I don't understand why it's a big deal to fans what is going on here. So he's undecisive, doesn't make him bad.

ericns1
01-05-06, 07:50 PM
I am not blaming any player as the pressure being put on them must really be something.

Casey37
01-05-06, 08:24 PM
So he's undecisive, doesn't make him bad.

Definitely not. This whole thing has become such an issue that I'm beginning to believe his family might be playing a role in all this.

AlongCameAPrincess
01-05-06, 09:52 PM
This is getting messy... Oh wait, too late.

LuckyLopez
01-05-06, 10:18 PM
He gets so much flack for everything, it's pretty ridiculous.
Somewhat true but I do think situations like this (whether this latest article is true or not) does sort of highlight how A-Rod often makes things worse for himself. Even many of his supporters seem to have said as much in this thread. The public indecisiveness and waffling just wears on people. And it makes for easy ammo to the folks who are just looking to go after him anyway.

A-Rod's a superstar who lives under a much larger microscope than most, but he's also a guy who doesn't help matters. Bonds makes things harder for himself by being an incorrigible bastard. Manny makes things harder for himself by, well, "being Manny." Bad PR certainly doesn't make A-Rod a bad person but I do sometimes wonder why so many of his fans respond to these things with such a "Why is he being hounded?" response. I think Bonds gets too much flak but I don't for a second wonder why. (I'm not comparing Bonds and A-Rod or their public images by any stretch of the imagination. Just that both are guys who are targets just for who they are but they also behave in ways that make things worse.)

NYYBombshell
01-06-06, 12:04 AM

You do know that bashing players is against C/S, right?

Just checking.

BTW, I think you're severely overreacting.

MiamiKat
01-06-06, 01:14 AM
Somewhat true but I do think situations like this (whether this latest article is true or not) does sort of highlight how A-Rod often makes things worse for himself. Even many of his supporters seem to have said as much in this thread. The public indecisiveness and waffling just wears on people. And it makes for easy ammo to the folks who are just looking to go after him anyway.
How can a totally inaccurate article from the NY Times even sort of "highlight how A-Rod often makes things worse for himself"? They reported something that was wrong based on sources that obviously had no knowledge of the situation. Per A-Rod's own comments to the NY Post, he has not changed his mind (he never committed formally to the WBC, BTW) and right now is still not going to play in the tournament.

Also from the NY Post article...A-Rod is clearly under a hell of a lot of pressure now from both MLB and the union to play in the WBC. So at this point, I don't see how any future "indecisiveness" can really be blamed on him given who's putting the screws in.

YankClipper5
01-06-06, 11:50 AM

While I respect whatever decision he makes, I think that from a logical standpoint A-Rod made a name for himself and came of age and developed his game in the US, he was born in the US, and the company's that pay his endorsements generate the bulk of their profits in the US, so why would he play for DR? I don't care what he does because I don't agree with the tournament fully, but he is gunna catch flack for whatever he does...

PeteRFNY
01-06-06, 12:44 PM
Wow...Murray Chass is an ever bigger idiot than I thought he was. That article was positively Lupica-ian.

LuckyLopez
01-06-06, 01:40 PM
How can a totally inaccurate article from the NY Times even sort of "highlight how A-Rod often makes things worse for himself"? They reported something that was wrong based on sources that obviously had no knowledge of the situation. Per A-Rod's own comments to the NY Post, he has not changed his mind (he never committed formally to the WBC, BTW) and right now is still not going to play in the tournament.

Also from the NY Post article...A-Rod is clearly under a hell of a lot of pressure now from both MLB and the union to play in the WBC. So at this point, I don't see how any future "indecisiveness" can really be blamed on him given who's putting the screws in.
I did say the "situation" and not the article (even pointing out that the article could be 100% false). If the latest piece had turned out to be true or turns out to prophetic it will make things worse, but without it I think this is still a pretty good example of how he unfortunatelly handles things sometimes. I don't hold it against him that he was unsure of what nation he'd play for. I disagree with the motivation behind his decision (or at least what he said it was), but I can look past it. But the fact that he did this all publicly does factor in. That he walked around for months doing interviews in English and Spanish speaking publications talking about his excitement about participating in this tournament. That he on numerous occassions seemed to give people reason to believe that he was leaning one way or another as to whether he'd play for the US or DR. That he seemed to give MLB enough confidence in him that they including his name on the collective roster (and I can't think of anyone else they did that with who they then had to remove, but I could be very easily wrong). Presuming that this last turn is just a complete fabrication still doesn't erase everything that preceded it.

You can compare A-Rod's handling of this to anyone else in baseball. Is there ANYONE who handled it the same way? There are plenty of players that had the same decision that A-Rod had about which nation to play for. There are a number of key Yankees who have either bowed out of the WBC (Matsui), look like they may (Rivera), or haven't seemed to even acknowledge the tournament's existence (Sheffield, Johnson). A-Rod would probably still undergoe some greater scrutiny than these players because he has a reputation and the media handles him in such a way, but that doesn't change the fact that he would have had a MUCH easier time if he handled this in a similar fashion as Matsui or Rivera.

Again, I'm not trying to attack the guy. I don't really care that he has bad pr or that he made a decision I think is silly. Its not that important. And if it secures the Yankees' 06 season a bit than at least there's a silver lining. I honestly think the WBC will get along fine without him and Matsui anyway (although they are certainly losses). But I'm constantly shaking my head at the way he handles these things. Hey, there have been players in NY who have become known for how deftly they have handled the superstar spotlight and media overload. There have been players like Reggie and Sheffield who seem to break every rule there is with the media and somehow go unscathed. And there are guys who just struggle and I think its clear that A-Rod's in that last group. Its fine with me. He still performs on the field and he's not saying anything offensive or wrong to the media. He's just making missteps that make his life a little more difficult. But I can't imagine how anyone can't agree that to some degree he's making problems for himself (or at least making them worse) with public waffling about this tournament and the nation he'd represent or (and I apologize for bringing up past non-issues) hanging out at poker houses with professional gamblers or making seemingly dismissive comments about teammates (that's a Ranger one). I can accept that everyone of those things is completely innocent and not hold them against him. But they're still there.

I mishandle things all the time. When they blow up in face I don't ask why. A-Rod's one of the top superstars in the game. He's one of the highest paid players in sports. He's a national/global celebrity. He's rich, successful, and attractive. He's got a number of peer detractors, some fair and some unfair. He's got a number of media attackers, some fair and some unfair. He's got a reputation (some of it fair and some if it not) that draws in more attention and criticism. At some point you unfortunatelly have to change the way you handle things to better deal with all of these things. Or you don't and you deal with it when minor parts of your life get blown out of proportion. But if the latter is what happens we should have all seen it coming and "why" isn't an appropriate question.

Which also sort of factors into why I don't necessarily agree with you on any future decisions he makes about the WBC. Yes, I understand that powerful people are pressuring him to change his mind. I understand and empathize with that. But I also knew that would happen when he first announced he was sitting it out. If A-Rod didn't think he'd get phone calls from Gene Orza and Bud Selig I don't know what to say. If he wanted to avoid it being public he could theoretically have called both offices before saying anything public and discussed his decision. Then he'd be able to come out now and say "I spoke with both men and offices prior to making my final decision and I stand by what I decided." It avoids us all feeling like he's just going through this ENTIRE process in public and giving us decisions without having fully considered the issue. Again, its not a condemnable act, but for some of its probably grown wearisome. And I'd think that all of us could probably at least agree that its gotten past the point of wondering why its getting media/fan attention/criticism.

I type too much. My apologies.

Bub
01-07-06, 08:40 AM
So, while I'm at the ST games on March 6 - 8, I won't be seeing Jeter, Damon, Cano, and probably not A-Rod, Posada, Wang and Matsui. I suppose I'll get to see Guidry, Reggie and some other guys from those championship years.

obsessedyankeefan
01-07-06, 09:17 PM
A-Rod is now saying that reports of him playing for the U.S. are false:

To all this, Rodriguez asks for a moment of clarity: He says he's still not playing.

The third baseman insists the tidal wave of headlines was not only premature, but entirely false. He's saying no to Dominicans, no to the Americans and better-luck-next-time to the Players Association, which his handlers believe is responsible for prematurely leaking the story.

"When Alex said he was staying out, he meant it," is how a person close to the third baseman put it. A-Rod intends to "discuss" the matter with union officials this week, as his agent, Scott Boras, promised, but Rodriguez already has told his inner circle, as well as Yankees officials, that he's focusing on spring training instead of international play.
The article also states that the Yankees blocked Posada from playing:

That decision will obviously satisfy George Steinbrenner, who's openly opposed to the WBC and has effectively blocked Jorge Posada, Randy Johnson and Mike Mussina.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=klapisch_bob&id=2284007

Sheff_Rod
01-07-06, 09:38 PM
So looks like he's not going. The NY media strikes again.

Yeah...... well, at least they still have a positive role model like Sammy to look up to.

Epy7280
01-07-06, 10:40 PM
So looks like he's not going. The NY media strikes again.

Yeah...... well, at least they still have a positive role model like Sammy to look up to.

and ya have Mark McGwire , Jose Canseco, Rafael Palmeiro
enuff said.

Jaeho
01-08-06, 02:39 AM
Once again, Murray Chase has been proven to be one of the biggest tools on the planet. I hope his buddy Lucchino has a job for him when the NY Times finally wakes up and cans his sorry arse.

bnorris85
01-08-06, 04:50 PM
arod just being arod?

YankeePride1967
01-08-06, 05:14 PM
arod just being arod?

So now A-Rod is now responsible for a reporter's inaccurate writings. What's next? Is A-Rod being investigated for causing Hurricane Katrina too?

NYYBombshell
01-08-06, 05:40 PM
So now A-Rod is now responsible for a reporter's inaccurate writings. What's next? Is A-Rod being investigated for causing Hurricane Katrina too?

I can hear Kanye West now......

Bub
01-08-06, 06:10 PM
Recapping this thread, as it stands now, the following are playing:

Jeter
Damon
Cano

The following are probably not playing, but it could change:

A-Rod
Matsui
Rivera
Wang
Posada

Is this correct?

Sheff_Rod
01-08-06, 11:43 PM

Jeter
Damon
Cano

A-Rod
Matsui
Rivera
Wang
Posada

Is this correct?

Looks like it. I think Bernie might play though`

Bub
01-09-06, 07:20 AM
Looks like it. I think Bernie might play though`Forgot about him. I'm a little bummed I'm not going to see Cano in ST.

Getting solid information on all of this is not easy. I'm looking for a date when final rosters will be official, which will put an end to all of the speculation.

Beccash18
01-09-06, 11:39 AM
I think Cairo might be playing too.

Bub
01-09-06, 12:05 PM
I think Cairo might be playing too.What team is that hard up for quality players?

LuckyLopez
01-09-06, 03:13 PM
Cairo's Venezuelan so his country's not overloaded. And the initial rosters are rather large (60 players) as well and the limits on playing time make for a need for more players. I actually imagine Cairo might have more play for Venezuela than Cano has for DR, given the wealth of talent available to that team that is better/more developed than him (although I imagine that he too will find time due to needs when Soriano hits his max).

Jeter
Damon
Cano

A-Rod
Matsui
Rivera
Wang
Posada

Is this correct?

Bernie and Cairo are both listed on rosters. Wang is also listed as a participant in this and most of the articles are giving the impression that he is, although I haven't seen anything actually declaring him in (besides the wider roster). And I don't think Rivera really has given an impression one way or another on the matter. Last I read he said he didn't want to play unless he could win and he didn't think Panama could win. Which you can certainly interpret as "I'm not playing" but also could lead to him apologizing for "offending his country" and playing. So I'd probably consider his situation still open. Sheffield has suddenly been mentioned and no impression has been given which way that will go. And there's that weird claim that the original Chass article in this thread made that MLB only accidently approved the Yankees' block of Posada.

Here's the way I'd categorize it:
In: Jeter (US), Damon (US), Cano (DR), Bernie (PR), and Cairo (Venezuela)
Maybe: Wang (Chinese Taipei), Rivera (Panama), Sheffield (US), and Posada (PR)
Out: A-Rod (US/DR?), Johnson (US), Mussina (US), Matsui (Japan), and Pavano (US, or I suppose possibly Italy)

There's still a few Yankees who could theoretically join up (Farnsworth, Chacon, minor leaguers?), and Wang and Rivera could still probably go either way (my impression is that Wang's in and Rivera's 60/40 or 70/30 against). And I at least think A-Rod could still jump back in on this but there's no real evidence to support that. Obviouslly, nothing is definate at this point. A-Rod could play and Jeter could skip it.

Getting solid information on all of this is not easy. I'm looking for a date when final rosters will be official, which will put an end to all of the speculation.

Unfortunatelly I don't think final rosters will be announced until just before the tournament. And from what I read they whole thing is set up for easy substitutions and changes mid tournament. It seems its designed with the idea that players might drop out late in this or during the tournament, which is sensible since if a player ends up having a minor injury in March there's a good chance that he'll decide to rest it so that it doesn't become an issue. But that being said, some sort of rosters are supposed to be coming soon.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/wbc/faq.jsp

Q: What is the roster size for each team and when will rosters be set?
A: Each team may comprise a roster of up to 30 players (with a minimum of 13 pitchers and three catchers). Federations will be required to submit provisional rosters of up to 60 players by January 17 and final rosters must be submitted 24 hours before commencement of the tournament.

dmsimon15
01-09-06, 03:23 PM
It was confirmed by a close friend of A-Rod that he will NOT be playing in the WBC. Check it out on ESPN.com.

dmsimon15
01-09-06, 03:26 PM
He's not playing. ESPN has an article on it.

NYYBombshell
01-09-06, 03:53 PM
Alex isn't playing.

We can all move on now.

LuckyLopez
01-09-06, 04:12 PM
Presuming those last two were meant towards me and not just in general, I know. And like I said in my post, there's no valid reason to believe that A-Rod might still play. I just personally think there's still a chance that A-Rod might get talked into it by Orza/Selig if no other superstars drop out (thus far the biggest non-Yankee names I've seen are King Felix, Mark Buerhle, and Tadahito Iguchi) and bad PR starts up around it. But there's no real reason to believe that, just an opinion.

As I said, none of this is definite. A-Rod and Rivera could end up playing while Jeter and Cano sit it out. But without any reason to think otherwise its certainly fair to presume that Jeter and A-Rod (and everyone else) are speaking sincerely when they say they'll play or not play.

The Q Bomb
01-09-06, 07:49 PM
This whole WBC (which to me is, and will always be, a boxing classification) debacle is just another way of Selig trying to murder baseball. What a putz! Amen!

Bub
01-10-06, 06:33 AM
With the rosters being so big, is there room for some players to "not attend" some games and instead play in ST games? For example, there are tournament games scheduled for March 7 and 8 in Arizona, but the Yankees have home games on March 6, 7 and 8. It would be great to see some of these guys in Florida if they're not needed for every game.

shutout
01-10-06, 09:43 AM
It's a shame he isn't playing: I've got that offseason package on www.mlv.tv (http://www.mlv.tv). I hope most stars wll play; it makes the tournament better.
I read on another forum that they're thinking about cancelling the WBC. Can anyone confirm this?

Bub
01-10-06, 10:27 AM
It's a shame he isn't playing: I've got that offseason package on www.mlv.tv (http://www.mlv.tv/). I hope most stars wll play; it makes the tournament better.
I read on another forum that they're thinking about cancelling the WBC. Can anyone confirm this?That's not quite right, but it's possible that teams could pull out, and if enough do it'll just cancel itself. It seems to revolve around Cuba, and the IBAF says the Cubans should be allowed to participate. If they aren't allowed, the IBAF could revoke its sanction of the tournament. If that happens, any countries who participate face penaties for future IBAF sanctioned international events. There's time to resolve this, and it will probably get straightened out.

obsessedyankeefan
01-10-06, 02:36 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AtQ5VwRYiNBrZ_DcJSxCBZYRvLYF?slug=cnnsi-ibafmaypullplug&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

IBAF may pull plug on WBC

The International Baseball Federation (IBAF) is threatening to pull its sanctioning of Major League Baseball's brainchild if Cuba isn't allowed to participate. In a Jan. 3 fax from IBAF president Aldo Notari of Italy to MLB, the players union and others, Notari said that the federation would order its members out of the WBC if the U.S. government doesn't change course and lift its ban on the Cubans.

"Neither the principals of Olympism nor the rules of the International Baseball Federation permit any form of discrimination of a political nature," Notari wrote, "which is why the IBAF considers your government's refusal inadmissible."

Bub
01-10-06, 02:44 PM
Makes you wonder who's got the ball? Perhaps Dubya? Now that Iraq has an established democacy, is their baseball team going to participate. :)

Bub
01-11-06, 08:13 AM
No news today. I would assume that we're trying to figure out how to let Cuba play and save face. Looks like the IBAF isn't going to back down, so we're going to have to or be blamed for ruining an international sporting event.

Bub
01-13-06, 07:38 AM
Alex may be change his mind again and play. This article was online yesterday.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060112&content_id=1294742&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

The U.S. has already had firm commitments from, among others, Barry Bonds of the San Francisco Giants; Roger Clemens, formerly of the Houston Astros; Dontrelle Willis of the Florida Marlins; Ken Griffey Jr. of the Cincinnati Reds; Derek Jeter of the New York Yankees and is waiting for word from Alex Rodriguez, Jeter's teammate and the Most Valuable Player in the American League this past season. Rodriguez has changed his mind on several occasions about playing in the tournament, first saying he would compete with his native Dominican Republic and then opting out completely. He has had several conversations, though, with MLB and player association officials this week and may indeed play for Team USA.

NYY7
01-14-06, 03:31 AM
I wonder if Steinbrenner will begin writing clauses into players' contracts prohibiting participation in these national exhibitions, unless it is the olympics.

Could you imagine of Mo decides to pitch, and hurts his shoulder? Or if A-Rod decided to play and tears an achillies tendon?

I liked A-Rod's comments in the George King article about being able to be honor both family and heritage while playing baseball (probably because I don't want him playing in Selig's money grabbing exhibition).

I agree..... let's trade Selig to Boston!

Stupid Flanders
01-14-06, 04:30 AM
It's a shame he isn't playing: I've got that offseason package on www.mlv.tv (http://www.mlv.tv). I hope most stars wll play; it makes the tournament better.

Why? The danger of injury to major stars is more exciting?

3M'sBoys
01-14-06, 08:42 AM
Just make up your mind to stay home, Alex.

MiamiKat
01-14-06, 10:14 AM
I agree..... let's trade Selig to Boston!
He's already there.

Bub
01-16-06, 01:47 PM
No word about A-Rod as of now, but the 60-player team will be announced tonight at 7:00. I guess we'll find out then.

obsessedyankeefan
01-16-06, 01:59 PM
No word about A-Rod as of now, but the 60-player team will be announced tonight at 7:00. I guess we'll find out then.
Maybe they'll announce that the Bud games have been canceled.

I know, I know, not gonna happen, but hey, one can always hope. :D

yankeebot
01-16-06, 02:08 PM
No word about A-Rod as of now, but the 60-player team will be announced tonight at 7:00. I guess we'll find out then.I bet Arod is named to both the US team and the Dominican team. Only 30 players will be on the actual rosters so they can afford to waste a spot on him on the chance that he decides to play. Although it will piss me off if they do that.

The Q Bomb
01-16-06, 04:33 PM
I bet Arod is named to both the US team and the Dominican team. Only 30 players will be on the actual rosters so they can afford to waste a spot on him on the chance that he decides to play. Although it will piss me off if they do that. What's he going to do? Make a Xerox copy of himself for one team? Jeez. Why does everything have to be a saga with him? He better just stay home, have a beer, and call it a day.

Bub
01-16-06, 06:54 PM
Update - 42 named to the team so far, A-Rod not on the list. However, they have until 5:00PM tomorrow to bring the total up to 60.

yankeebot
01-16-06, 07:02 PM
Thanks, Bub. Here is the list so far:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060116&content_id=1296192&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Starting pitchers
Bonderman, Jeremy, RHP -- Detroit Tigers
Clemens, Roger, RHP -- Free agent (formerly Houston Astros)
Halladay, Roy, RHP -- Toronto Blue Jays
Hudson, Tim, RHP -- Atlanta Braves
Leiter, Al, LHP -- New York Yankees
Peavy, Jake, RHP -- San Diego Padres
Pettitte, Andy, LHP -- Houston Astros
Sabathia, C.C., LHP -- Cleveland Indians
Willis, Dontrelle, LHP -- Florida Marlins

Relief pitchers
Cordero, Chad, RHP -- Washington Nationals
Fuentes, Brian, LHP -- Colorado Rockies
Jones, Todd, RHP -- Detroit Tigers
Lidge, Brad, RHP -- Houston Astros
Nathan, Joe, RHP -- Minnesota Twins
Shields, Scot, RHP -- Los Angeles Angels
Street, Huston, RHP -- Oakland Athletics
Timlin, Mike, RHP -- Boston Red Sox
Wagner, Billy, LHP -- New York Mets
Wheeler, Dan, RHP -- Houston Astros

Catchers
Barrett, Michael -- Chicago Cubs
Lo Duca, Paul -- New York Mets
Mauer, Joe -- Minnesota Twins
Moeller, Chad -- Milwaukee Brewers
Schneider, Brian -- Washington Nationals
Varitek, Jason -- Boston Red Sox

Infielders
Counsell, Craig -- Arizona Diamondbacks
Ensberg, Morgan -- Houston Astros
Hall, Bill -- Milwaukee Brewers
Jeter, Derek -- New York Yankees
Jones, Chipper -- Atlanta Braves
Lee, Derrek -- Chicago Cubs
Rollins, Jimmy -- Philadelphia Phillies
Teixeira, Mark -- Texas Rangers
Utley, Chase -- Philadelphia Phillies
Wright, David -- New York Mets
Young, Michael -- Texas Rangers

Outfielders
Berkman, Lance -- Houston Astros
Bonds, Barry -- San Francisco Giants
Crawford, Carl -- Tampa Bay Devil Rays
Damon, Johnny -- New York Yankees
Griffey Jr., Ken -- Cincinnati Reds
Wells, Vernon -- Toronto Blue Jays

JDPNYY
01-16-06, 07:04 PM
Thanks, Bub. Here is the list so far:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060116&content_id=1296192&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Starting pitchers
Bonderman, Jeremy, RHP -- Detroit Tigers
Clemens, Roger, RHP -- Free agent (formerly Houston Astros)
Halladay, Roy, RHP -- Toronto Blue Jays
Hudson, Tim, RHP -- Atlanta Braves
Leiter, Al, LHP -- New York Yankees
Peavy, Jake, RHP -- San Diego Padres
Pettitte, Andy, LHP -- Houston Astros
Sabathia, C.C., LHP -- Cleveland Indians
Willis, Dontrelle, LHP -- Florida Marlins

Relief pitchers
Cordero, Chad, RHP -- Washington Nationals
Fuentes, Brian, LHP -- Colorado Rockies
Jones, Todd, RHP -- Detroit Tigers
Lidge, Brad, RHP -- Houston Astros
Nathan, Joe, RHP -- Minnesota Twins
Shields, Scot, RHP -- Los Angeles Angels
Street, Huston, RHP -- Oakland Athletics
Timlin, Mike, RHP -- Boston Red Sox
Wagner, Billy, LHP -- New York Mets
Wheeler, Dan, RHP -- Houston Astros

Catchers
Barrett, Michael -- Chicago Cubs
Lo Duca, Paul -- New York Mets
Mauer, Joe -- Minnesota Twins
Moeller, Chad -- Milwaukee Brewers
Schneider, Brian -- Washington Nationals
Varitek, Jason -- Boston Red Sox

Infielders
Counsell, Craig -- Arizona Diamondbacks
Ensberg, Morgan -- Houston Astros
Hall, Bill -- Milwaukee Brewers
Jeter, Derek -- New York Yankees
Jones, Chipper -- Atlanta Braves
Lee, Derrek -- Chicago Cubs
Rollins, Jimmy -- Philadelphia Phillies
Teixeira, Mark -- Texas Rangers
Utley, Chase -- Philadelphia Phillies
Wright, David -- New York Mets
Young, Michael -- Texas Rangers

Outfielders
Berkman, Lance -- Houston Astros
Bonds, Barry -- San Francisco Giants
Crawford, Carl -- Tampa Bay Devil Rays
Damon, Johnny -- New York Yankees
Griffey Jr., Ken -- Cincinnati Reds
Wells, Vernon -- Toronto Blue Jays

WAY too many Yankees on that list.

yankeebot
01-16-06, 07:05 PM
WAY too many Yankees on that list.I have no great objection to Al Leiter playing.

JDPNYY
01-16-06, 07:30 PM
I have no great objection to Al Leiter playing.

Neither would Al.

Bub
01-17-06, 09:27 AM
I have no great objection to Al Leiter playing.Well, if he does make the 30-man squad, what does that say for the USA pitching staff?

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-17-06, 09:52 AM
Well, if he does make the 30-man squad, what does that say for the USA pitching staff?
Nothing good.

mentalgidget
01-17-06, 10:33 AM
A-Rod has been placed on the Domincan Republic roster and he's not sure he'll play.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2006/news/story?id=2295141

Bub
01-17-06, 10:47 AM
A-Rod has been placed on the Domincan Republic roster and he's not sure he'll play.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2006/news/story?id=2295141 Well, this muddies it all up. He can change his mind all the way to late February.

chelloveck
01-17-06, 10:59 AM

ARod is pretty annoying with this.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-17-06, 11:17 AM
ARod is pretty annoying with this.
I agree that he's been a little annoying with his back and forth, but him being put on their roster has nothing to do with him. He's said he's not playing, they put his name down anyway. That's not his fault.

Bub
01-17-06, 11:58 AM
I agree that he's been a little annoying with his back and forth, but him being put on their roster has nothing to do with him. He's said he's not playing, they put his name down anyway. That's not his fault.I just put him on my 12 year-old all star team roster. What the hell, eh? :)

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-17-06, 12:45 PM
I just put him on my 12 year-old all star team roster. What the hell, eh? :)
Good thinking. I'm putting him down on my office softball team. We won't be losing by knockout rule this year.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-17-06, 01:22 PM
I thought this was an odd quote from Bob Watson about the US team:

"There's only one player on the club that will probably play nine innings on any given day and that's the first baseman," Watson said. "We're going to probably flip-flop shortstop, second base, third base after five or six innings, and bring in the backup, who's an All-Star in his own right."
First of all, I thought no major leaguer could play an entire game. But ignoring that, the first basemen are Derek Lee and Mark Teixeira, who are both sorta good. In what world are those guys not good enough to both get playing time every day?

JfromJersey
01-17-06, 01:48 PM
Arod is treating this decision like it's WW3 and he's trying to decide which army he's going to join. Fer Crissakes Alex, it's only baseball. You're not going to offend anyone, no matter which team you play for. Make a decision already! What kind of ego does this guy have to think that a whole country will be offended by his decision?

Bub
01-17-06, 02:17 PM
Arod is treating this decision like it's WW3 and he's trying to decide which army he's going to join. Fer Crissakes Alex, it's only baseball. You're not going to offend anyone, no matter which team you play for. Make a decision already! What kind of ego does this guy have to think that a whole country will be offended by his decision?He's going to offend me. I want to see him in Tampa on March 6.

yankeefan24
01-17-06, 02:22 PM
A-Rod is not playing in the WBC. Gene Orza on MLb.com told Buck Martinez that he will not play in the event at all.

DiMaggio5CF
01-17-06, 02:56 PM
Fer Crissakes Alex, it's only baseball.
It's WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-17-06, 03:02 PM
Fer Crissakes Alex, it's only baseball. You're not going to offend anyone, no matter which team you play for. Make a decision already!
Hasn't he made his decision? Just because the DR put his name on their roster doesn't mean anything has changed from his publicly announced decision not to play.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-17-06, 03:03 PM
A-Rod is not playing in the WBC. Gene Orza on MLb.com told Buck Martinez that he will not play in the event at all.
Got a link?

effdamets
01-17-06, 03:04 PM
Yeah, yeah yeah... Do whatever you want Alex because that is not the most annoying part of this dopey money-grab (anymore)...

The most annoying thing, to me, is that Nomar is going to play for Mexico! Has he ever been to Mexico? This is so stupid... Maybe I'll just put myself into a coma for this stupid event!

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-17-06, 03:36 PM
The most annoying thing, to me, is that Nomar is going to play for Mexico! Has he ever been to Mexico? This is so stupid... Maybe I'll just put myself into a coma for this stupid event!
Why is that any more annoying than a bunch of italian american players playing for Italy?

NYYBombshell
01-17-06, 03:45 PM
Yeah, yeah yeah... Do whatever you want Alex because that is not the most annoying part of this dopey money-grab (anymore)...

Considering he has family there, I would assume he's been there at least once.

Sheff_Rod
01-17-06, 03:46 PM
He has said he's not gonna play for the longest time now, it's all these guys in MLB that are trying to convince him, that's the annoying part.

He's not talented enough to make the US team. Maybe next year Alex... ;)

BronxBombers2005
01-17-06, 03:48 PM
He's been put on the Dominican Rep. team, but he is unsure if he will play or not....If im not mistaken isnt the dead-line to decide is today??

Yankees1962
01-17-06, 04:05 PM
He's been put on the Dominican Rep. team, but he is unsure if he will play or not....If im not mistaken isnt the dead-line to decide is today??
According to XM Radio, Buck Martinez who has a show on that satellite radio service told them that the United States could've place Arod on their team if they wanted to according to the officials running the tournament. Also, he said that Arod won't be playing for anybody in that tournament.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-17-06, 04:17 PM
The deadline to name your 60 eligible players is today. But up until like 24 hours before the game you can name your final roster, so there's no rush for either the teams or an individual player to make up their minds. If the DR wants to risk a roster spot on the chance that he changes his mind and decides to play, they're free to do so. I doubt they'll be hurting for that 60th spot.

LuckyLopez
01-17-06, 05:09 PM
I thought this was an odd quote from Bob Watson about the US team:

First of all, I thought no major leaguer could play an entire game. But ignoring that, the first basemen are Derek Lee and Mark Teixeira, who are both sorta good. In what world are those guys not good enough to both get playing time every day?
I don't think the actual limits and restrictions have been decided or announced. They've been pretty clear that there will be pitch counts and the mercy rule and there were even a few discussions suggesting where the pitch count will end up. But I don't think anything definitive has been said besides that there will be some sort of restrictions. But honestly, I'm not sure I've ever read anything about their being restrictions on the position players and I figured that idea just sort of developed out of the pitch count thing. I'm not sure if anyone connected to the WBC has actually spoken of it, but I could have easily missed it.

That being said, he could have just tossed out that comment without actually thinking of it. Just trying to make a point by saying everyone would get rest except for the stereotypically least put upon player. I wouldn't put a lot on the statement. I doubt anyone's worked out their roster moves this early (at least not beyond just fantasy managing). Or, Watson could know what he's saying and maybe they'll slide the other 1B in at DH.

YankeePride1967
01-17-06, 06:17 PM
It's funny seeing some people get on A-Rod when he has said that he isn't playing and that hasn't changed. It's the reporters writing stories with questionable validity that is causing the confusion, however of course, that's all A-Rod's fault.

StaceyRosie
01-17-06, 06:23 PM
A-Rod sucks.

yankeefan24
01-17-06, 06:29 PM
It's funny seeing some people get on A-Rod when he has said that he isn't playing and that hasn't changed. It's the reporters writing stories with questionable validity that is causing the confusion, however of course, that's all A-Rod's fault.

I agree. He Told the Ny post a month ago he wasn't playing and that hasn't changed. Murray Chase of NY times thought he had a source but the source was only trying to change A-Rod mind and wasn't based on facts .

BronxBombers2005
01-17-06, 07:11 PM
A-Rod sucks.

Are you kidding??

YankeePride1967
01-17-06, 07:12 PM
Are you kidding??

I know you're relatively new here, but stick around and you'll see Stacey's posting style and know that she is.

yankeebot
01-17-06, 07:20 PM
A-Rod sucks.
You just made me giggle. Thanks.

Yankeeah
01-17-06, 09:13 PM
In that bottom right box on ESPNnews it says that A-Rod will play for the US, according to hsi agent

rock
01-17-06, 09:42 PM
Boras says he's playing for the US.

gEO3b4
01-17-06, 10:00 PM
I really hope this is final. I am going to scream if he changes his mind once more.

stephsamps
01-17-06, 10:03 PM
Seriously?

JDPNYY
01-17-06, 10:03 PM
Please let this thing get cancelled. I'm begging.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-17-06, 10:08 PM
Sucks for Chipper Jones.

stephsamps
01-17-06, 10:15 PM
^ I am sure he will volunteer to play the OF for the good of the team :)

Sheff_Rod
01-17-06, 10:38 PM
:-po'd-: Why couldn't MLB just leave him alone after he first decided to not participate.

Oh well, hopefully by tomorrow he'll change his mind. :gulp:

Stryder2929
01-17-06, 10:39 PM
well looks like my post was premature but right afterall

MiamiKat
01-17-06, 10:48 PM
Looks like Selig & Orza finally got to A-Rod.

Dammit.

Yankees1962
01-17-06, 10:53 PM
This guy doesn't know if he's coming or going.

Kulish29
01-17-06, 11:44 PM
Please let this thing get cancelled. I'm begging.

Here, here.

Bub
01-18-06, 06:58 AM
Please let this thing get cancelled. I'm begging.Is there any chance left at all? Does anybody know the latest with Cuba?

LuckyLopez
01-18-06, 04:22 PM
The last bit of news says that the WBC resubmitted the bid to let Cuba play after Cuba agreed to donate all proceeds to charity. The Treasury department hasn't made a decision on it, or at least hasn't said anything publicly.

BronxBombers2005
01-18-06, 07:11 PM
I know you're relatively new here, but stick around and you'll see Stacey's posting style and know that she is.

Why is she like anti a-rod?