PDA

View Full Version : Sturtze moves to 55th Street

Bxboy
01-03-06, 01:17 PM
http://www.nypost.com/realestate/58872.htm

Yankees' bullpen

There's at least one noteworthy play that Yankees pitcher Tanyon
Sturtze made during the offseason. Word has it that he struck out a
higher bidder on a fancy rental apartment at 300 E. 55th St.

Sources say the hurler will be shelling out $9,500 a month - with an
option to buy - for a three-bedroom, three-bath pad in the Milan
building, where he'll be moving over the weekend.

"The owner of the apartment actually turned down an offer of $11,000
per month to rent to Tanyon," says our source, who adds that the
apartment could sell for about $3 million. And Sturtze won't have to
drive to the stadium alone, since fellow Yankees pitcher Carl Pavano
owns an apartment in the same building three floors below.

Sturtze's broker is Paul Anand of Citi Habitats.

Steph19
01-03-06, 01:20 PM
Kind of surprising as he doesn't have a lot of job security with the Yanks but good for Tanyon. Maybe he and Carl can stay up late together and try to figure out that pitching thing.

BrooklynBotz
01-03-06, 01:20 PM
this should really help the stalkers out there.

hellonewman
01-03-06, 01:44 PM
I hope he's not tied to a 1-year lease.

Evil Empire
01-03-06, 01:45 PM
He and Pavano are gonna get trade together, too.

gdn
01-03-06, 01:46 PM
Why is this news?

RobRiv
01-03-06, 01:59 PM
I recall a Manny Ramirez homerun off Sturtze that landed somewhere near 55th Street (Tanyon's new 'hood), before it bounced across the East River into Queens.

Anyway, I hope the change of scenery helps the Tanman find his groove again.

Theee Yanks win
01-03-06, 02:04 PM
the only thing missing is the floor #

pretty cool though, my friends live in a dorm on 55th.

hardrain
01-03-06, 02:11 PM
Why is this news?

Cuz it's winter? :dunno:

Hitman23
01-03-06, 02:15 PM
well I'll certainly sleep better tonight!

ShaneTravis
01-03-06, 02:16 PM

This isn't Boston.

webassign
01-03-06, 08:05 PM
This isn't Boston.
But stalkers are stalkers, no matter where they're from. :lol:

DontHateOnNumber2
01-03-06, 08:08 PM
But stalkers are stalkers, no matter where they're from. :lol:

Only super ultra stalkers would know Tanyon Sturtze. Maybe your everyday joe stalker would know Johnny Damon, but he'd definitely be the guy shadowing Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, or Jason Giambi.

JavyVazquezIsSick
01-03-06, 08:33 PM
He and Pavano are gonna get trade together, too.

:lol: Good one...

StaceyRosie
01-03-06, 08:42 PM
I recall a Manny Ramirez homerun off Sturtze that landed somewhere near 55th Street (Tanyon's new 'hood), before it bounced across the East River into Queens.

Anyway, I hope the change of scenery helps the Tanman find his groove again.

That would be kind of impossible but okay.

keithf1
01-03-06, 10:21 PM
I wish I lived there instead of him.

38Special
01-03-06, 10:59 PM
That would be kind of impossible but okay.

no way!

StaceyRosie
01-03-06, 10:59 PM
no way!

Shut up.

ChrisV82
01-04-06, 01:18 AM
$114,000 a year when the man doesn't even make a million dollars a season? Come on, Tanyon, don't blow all your cash. I know it's nice to live large but one day you won't be playing baseball and selling your autograph for $5 in the mall isn't going to pay the bills. Come on, dude, you really don't need three bathrooms. You could probably find a really nice apartment for 1/3 the price.

drjeckyl
01-04-06, 06:05 AM
Come on, dude, you really don't need three bathrooms. You could probably find a really nice apartment for 1/3 the price.

He could have a family though...

-tz
01-04-06, 08:07 AM
At least he's saving money on the movers ... ;)

http://users.erols.com/kcoblenz/SturtzeMovesIn.JPG

ryanthe13th
01-04-06, 08:09 AM
Mapquesting right now...

Jersey Yankee
01-04-06, 01:49 PM
For that price, why doesn't he just get a co-op, or a nice house somewhere in Joisey?

Bxboy
01-04-06, 03:31 PM
This one lists addresses for Giambi, Jeter, Matsui, Posada, RJ, A-Rod & Sheff.

http://www.observer.com/finance_observatory.asp

Johnny Damon Is Looking For His N.Y. Luxury Box

By Michael Calderone

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a baseball player in possession of an eight-digit contract with the New York Yankees, must be in want of an expensive condo on the eastern edge of the Upper East Side.

Indeed, now that the ink is dry on former Red Sox player Johnny Damonís $52 million contract and the razor applied to the scraggly center fielderís feral beard and mane, itís time for him and his wife, Michelle Mangan, to find a place to settle down.

snip

Jeter Kid
01-04-06, 04:07 PM
My thoughts exactly. :P

PerfectCone
01-04-06, 04:36 PM
Speaking of homeruns, anyone remember Juan En"HolyCrapThat'sWayGone"carnacion jacking a LEFT FIELD bleacher shot off Ramiro Mendoza? That was awesome!

RhodeyYankee2638
01-04-06, 04:39 PM
I can post a 5.10 ERA and 1.35 whip with the Yanks too. I hope they give me a couple mil

bobbymagee
01-07-06, 06:21 AM

Let this be a reminder to the stalkers!!!!!!!! :D

Linkage----------------->

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2004/07/24/6dk7ArTM.jpg

CyYoung4Vazquez
01-07-06, 07:20 AM
He used to live somewhere else on the upper east side. The first week I lived in New York, I met a girl out who was his ex-girlfriend. Needless to say that intimidated me a wee bit and things didn't work out.

yankeegeek
01-07-06, 09:25 AM
Kind of surprising as he doesn't have a lot of job security with the Yanks but good for Tanyon. Maybe he and Carl can stay up late together and try to figure out that pitching thing.

That is one of the best lines ever on this site. You made my morning!

penguin4
01-07-06, 12:25 PM
Dude! That's only seven blocks away from where I live -- I think I even know what building it is!!

I'll keep my eyes open....:D

JeffWeaverFan
01-07-06, 02:12 PM
$114,000 a year when the man doesn't even make a million dollars a season? Come on, Tanyon, don't blow all your cash. I know it's nice to live large but one day you won't be playing baseball and selling your autograph for $5 in the mall isn't going to pay the bills. Come on, dude, you really don't need three bathrooms. You could probably find a really nice apartment for 1/3 the price.
He's making $1.5 million this year and made $1 million last year. But yes, I agree with what your saying.

gszabo
01-07-06, 03:41 PM
Speaking of homeruns, anyone remember Juan En"HolyCrapThat'sWayGone"carnacion jacking a LEFT FIELD bleacher shot off Ramiro Mendoza?

Yes. I think that there was a Chock Full of Nuts coffee billboard out there at the time, and it landed kind of near the billboard. i can't recall any other HR near there, though i'm sure a few people must have in the dim past.

JeffWeaverFan
01-07-06, 04:41 PM
Speaking of homeruns, anyone remember Juan En"HolyCrapThat'sWayGone"carnacion jacking a LEFT FIELD bleacher shot off Ramiro Mendoza? That was awesome!
Giambi's was better. It went about 20 rows into the LF bleachers. I was sitting about 18 rows in and it was about 5 feet to my right. It was quite a shot.

HouseThatRingsBuild
01-07-06, 10:41 PM
This one lists addresses for Giambi, Jeter, Matsui, Posada, RJ, A-Rod & Sheff.

http://www.observer.com/finance_observatory.asp

Johnny Damon Is Looking For His N.Y. Luxury Box

By Michael Calderone

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a baseball player in possession of an eight-digit contract with the New York Yankees, must be in want of an expensive condo on the eastern edge of the Upper East Side.

Indeed, now that the ink is dry on former Red Sox player Johnny Damonís $52 million contract and the razor applied to the scraggly center fielderís feral beard and mane, itís time for him and his wife, Michelle Mangan, to find a place to settle down.

snip

Damm, allot of them live on the upper east side. I guess because that's the best closest neighborhood to the Bronx.

gEO3b4
01-12-06, 03:59 PM
The Milan building.

Maybe he and Carl can stay up late together and try to figure out that pitching thing.
Maybe they can invite Jaret Wright over as well and make it an all-nighter :D

Is this goiung to be Sturtze's primary residence or just in-season? If it is just in-season then it's kind of odd in my opinion, considering that, like Steph19 said, he doesnt have much job security and I dont expect him to be here much longer. Maybe gets traded this year, and definately wont be here next year.

...wait, nevermind. The Yankees' Media Guide says that he resides in St. Petersburg

Kiwiwriter
01-12-06, 04:13 PM
Hmmmm...300 East 55th Street, three bedrooms, three bathrooms. Well, obviously he'll sleep in one, watch TV and relax in the living room, and probably turn one of the other bedrooms into a workout room with Nautilus and suchlike.

Does Tanyon have wife and kiddies? Is he planning to bring them to New York during the season? Why else do you need three bathrooms? Two should be plenty, assuming you have guests and pals.

If memory serves, that's over around 2nd or 3rd Avenue. I think Jackson Hole Wyoming, home of great hamburgers is there. At any rate, he and Carl can save a bundle on gas by walking over to 59th Street and Lexington and taking the No. 4 train five stops to 161st Street. I know Chuck Knoblauch liked to do that in his Yankee days.

It's important for players to interact with fans. I know fans can be monstrous pains in the neck, asking for 50 autographs, asking fatuous questions, in some cases, saying, "Boy, you stank last night," but these guys are earning more money than Davy Crockett, and they're getting isolated from reality by the already permanent adolescence that is major league baseball.

Don't David Cone and Keith Hernandez live around there, too? Rusty Staub's restaurant is near there, too. So is Bloomingdale's, what used to be Alexander's, and that crazy three-story brownstone that stood up to the huge building at Lexington and 59th. The Playboy Club was at 60th and Fifth Avenue, too. Of course, that's gone now. :D

GiambiRocks
01-12-06, 05:51 PM
Tanyon's in the middle of a divorce...I'm assuming that's why the high $$$ apartment. He has no kids.

penguin4
01-12-06, 11:24 PM
Hmmmm...300 East 55th Street, three bedrooms, three bathrooms. Well, obviously he'll sleep in one, watch TV and relax in the living room, and probably turn one of the other bedrooms into a workout room with Nautilus and suchlike.

Does Tanyon have wife and kiddies? Is he planning to bring them to New York during the season? Why else do you need three bathrooms? Two should be plenty, assuming you have guests and pals.

If memory serves, that's over around 2nd or 3rd Avenue. I think Jackson Hole Wyoming, home of great hamburgers is there. At any rate, he and Carl can save a bundle on gas by walking over to 59th Street and Lexington and taking the No. 4 train five stops to 161st Street. I know Chuck Knoblauch liked to do that in his Yankee days.

It's important for players to interact with fans. I know fans can be monstrous pains in the neck, asking for 50 autographs, asking fatuous questions, in some cases, saying, "Boy, you stank last night," but these guys are earning more money than Davy Crockett, and they're getting isolated from reality by the already permanent adolescence that is major league baseball.

Don't David Cone and Keith Hernandez live around there, too? Rusty Staub's restaurant is near there, too. So is Bloomingdale's, what used to be Alexander's, and that crazy three-story brownstone that stood up to the huge building at Lexington and 59th. The Playboy Club was at 60th and Fifth Avenue, too. Of course, that's gone now. :D
Scores is still around, though...

I'll really keep my eyes open for ballplayers now, during the season, lol.;)

Kiwiwriter
01-13-06, 05:09 PM
Tanyon's in the middle of a divorce...I'm assuming that's why the high $$$ apartment. He has no kids.

Well, that would explain the desire for separate bathrooms. One for him, one for his girlfriend du jour.

Obviously, part of the high expense is that ballplayers need concierge, cleaning, and valet services...they're gone half the time...someone has to clean the apartment, check their phone messages, do the laundry, re-fill the refrigerator, and so on.

Being a narrative historian and having an MFA in creative writing, I get more interested in the life of ballplayers and such....sort of as characters in a novel, rather than either the "gee-whiz" style of "The Baseball Life of Mickey Mantle" or the "everything stinks and I'm ripping the lid off of it" style of "Ball Four" and "Juiced." How do you cope with adulation and 50,000 people booing you? How do you balance the need for a private life with the need to relate to the public? How does a not-too-sophisticated 19-year-old or 40-year-old deal with having to be a role model and media entertainment? And how do you cope when it's all over?

StaceyRosie
01-13-06, 05:55 PM
Why would he have his girlfriend in a separate bedroom?

And hell I'll be his roommate I have to get the hell out of my apartment before I end up killing my upstairs neighbors.

iWant27
01-13-06, 07:40 PM
$9500 a month !!!!!!!! :eek:
I have never lived in a city . Is it that expensive .

StaceyRosie
01-13-06, 07:41 PM
New York City's rent prices are insane.

penguin4
01-14-06, 12:25 AM
$9500 a month !!!!!!!! :eek:
I have never lived in a city . Is it that expensive .
I guess it's kind of what I expected (or maybe a little cheaper) for a "luxury" apartment. To put it in perspective, it's about 5 1/2 times more than my little one-bedroom rathole in the same neighborhood. Another one of my friends, who lives farther uptown, has a three-bedroom for $2700... and by NYC prices on the Upper East Side, that's a steal!!

Kiwiwriter
01-14-06, 11:37 AM
Why would he have his girlfriend in a separate bedroom?

And hell I'll be his roommate I have to get the hell out of my apartment before I end up killing my upstairs neighbors.

No, he'd have his girlfriend in a separate bathroom. The second bedroom would be for male pals or rellies (of both sexes) coming through.