PDA

View Full Version : Mo to play in WBC?

DaPip1998
01-03-06, 11:59 AM
I didn't see a thread on this, forgive me if there is.

I just came back from a Carribbean cruise (don't hate me) and when I was in Panama and Costa Rica, the big news was that Mariano was going to play for Panama in the WBC. I haven't seen anything in the media since I've been back, other than the following from ESPNDeportes' web site.

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/story?id=394876

My Jr. High Spanish is rusty, but it looks like he is playing. Can someone confirm that?

Yanknut023
01-03-06, 12:03 PM
Where you able to do any scouting on the trip. Maybe you found Mo replacement?

I can't help with the Spanish, sorry.

JeffWeaverFan
01-03-06, 12:04 PM
I've taken many years of Spanish and still know nothing. Either way, I definitely do not want Mo pitching in the WBC. I don't want any of our players, especially pitchers, playing in the WBC.

Paul O'Neill Forever
01-03-06, 12:14 PM
This article is a little suspect. It says he is playing or at least signed an agreement to play.

spiritof27
01-03-06, 12:20 PM
I feel pretty sure we filed to have Mo blocked from playing, as we did with Posada, Pavano, Wright, RJ and Wang. Not sure if Mo's was upheld, though. Wang's was not.

Dr. Gonzo
01-03-06, 12:31 PM
Mo also said that he wouldn't play unless he really thought they could win. He say no pointi n the extra stress.

LilChief
01-03-06, 12:48 PM
I was sure I saw somewhere that he was NOT playing, but I can't for the life of me recall where I saw/read it..sorry

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-03-06, 12:49 PM
I feel pretty sure we filed to have Mo blocked from playing, as we did with Posada, Pavano, Wright, RJ and Wang. Not sure if Mo's was upheld, though. Wang's was not.
Mo's was not. Only Posada, Moose and RJ were successfully blocked by the yanks.

3 weeks ago Mo said he'd start throwing sometime in January, and make his decision then. And as Dr. Gonzo said above, he also said he probably wouldn't play if he thought the team's chances weren't good, which they almost certainly are not. I have no idea what that spanish article says, but I find it awfully unlikely that if a high profile guy like Mo had said he'd play that it wouldn't quickly be reported on english websites, so I doubt he's made any kind of announcement yet.

Bub
01-03-06, 01:26 PM
Is anyone on the team definately playing? Does anybody think this event is a big deal?

grabick_luca
01-03-06, 01:30 PM
i do, i'm pretty psyched about it. I really wanna see the U.S dominate with their pitching and seeing guy like smoltz, clemens, oswalt, and willis on the same team. :drool: Oh yea our hitting won't be too shabby

Babe Rules
01-03-06, 01:35 PM
According to the article he'll pitch.

JeterRodriguezSheff
01-03-06, 02:41 PM
I dont want the best closer of all time getting injured.

LuckyLopez
01-03-06, 02:46 PM
Is anyone on the team definately playing?
MLB is continuing to report Jeter, Damon, Cano, and Bernie as participants. The rosters on the WBC page also now list Wang as being in even though I haven't read any articles that said anything besides he's "expected" to play (but that's not necessarily a definitive list since A-Rod was on it intially). Miguel Cairo's also listed, for what that's worth.

Sheff_Rod
01-03-06, 03:07 PM
I didn't see a thread on this, forgive me if there is.

I just came back from a Carribbean cruise (don't hate me) and when I was in Panama and Costa Rica, the big news was that Mariano was going to play for Panama in the WBC. I haven't seen anything in the media since I've been back, other than the following from ESPNDeportes' web site.

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/story?id=394876

My Jr. High Spanish is rusty, but it looks like he is playing. Can someone confirm that?

Well, in the article they say that he's playing but there's no quotes from Mo or anything so I don't know how official it can be.

WTH do they spell it Yanquis?

keithf1
01-03-06, 04:19 PM
How many games would he even have to close anyway :)? They'd probably overuse him like hell because of his name. They don't care about the Yankees.

SoCal Pinstriper
01-03-06, 04:28 PM
Is anyone on the team definately playing? Does anybody think this event is a big deal?
I have tickets for the Semis and Finals. I don't expect to see Panama there, but stranger things have happened. I think that players should play if they want to. I trust Mo, and his dedication to the Yankees. He can decide what is best for him and the team.

hellonewman
01-03-06, 04:31 PM
His strategy of taking it easy last winter appears to have been a master stroke, and he's a year older now. I will be enraged beyond description if he plays.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-03-06, 04:59 PM
Does anybody think this event is a big deal?
In theory I think it's a big deal. I think it would be a lot of fun to watch the game's biggest stars compete against each other along country lines. (Of course, I think making the all-star game North America v. World would have accomplished this without all the injury concern, and made the all-star game legitimately interesting to boot). But as guys are bowing out, I'm skeptical about how exciting it will be. I'm not sure what obvious starters besides Matsui and A-Rod have already decided not to play, but I'm sure more will, particularly pitchers who face more injury risk and who I imagine will be pressured by their major league teams not to go. It's a lot less interesting to me if half the guys are minor leaguers. But if a lot of top major league guys go, then yeah, I think it's a big deal. I'm sure the latin american teams will take it seriously and compete very hard, and I think that will be fun to watch. I don't want to see any yankees get hurt, but I would like to see the game's top players battling each other.

shroud
01-03-06, 05:04 PM
The article says he signed an agreement with the Panama league officials saying he will play.

JfromJersey
01-03-06, 05:36 PM
I don't want Mo to play, but even if he does, how many 9th inning save opportunities will Panama have in this tournament? The concern would be bringing him into a game in the 7th or 8th inning to try and save a game. I don't even want to think about that. :eek:

LuckyLopez
01-03-06, 05:39 PM
Considering that they're going to carry pitch counts there's no real reason to fear Rivera being brought in for 2 or 3 inning saves. The Panama manager may try it, but the earlier he brings in his closer he just runs the risk of having to end the game with someone else.

silverdsl
01-03-06, 05:45 PM
I think that players should play if they want to. I trust Mo, and his dedication to the Yankees. He can decide what is best for him and the team.I have to agree. If there's one player who has given everything he has to the Yankees it's Mo (and Jeter for that matter) so if he decides that it's not a bad idea to play then I trust that he knows what he's doing. Especially considering there will be a strict pitch count that he will have to adhere to.

-Deborah

YankeePride1967
01-03-06, 05:49 PM

This could be a point of contention. I heard a few weeks ago on WFAN that Mo said if he plays or doesn't play in the WBC that the Yanks would have no say in it.

ChocolateGirl
01-03-06, 08:59 PM
Either way, I definitely do not want Mo pitching in the WBC. I don't want any of our players, especially pitchers, playing in the WBC.

Ditto. :o

YankeePride1967
01-03-06, 09:01 PM
The only thing about the WBC that I like is that there will be more baseball on TV in March.

JDPNYY
01-03-06, 09:07 PM
This is some truly bad news.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-04-06, 12:00 AM
This could be a point of contention. I heard a few weeks ago on WFAN that Mo said if he plays or doesn't play in the WBC that the Yanks would have no say in it.
Mo's right. As I posted above, the yanks lost in their attempt to block Mo.

yankeebot
01-04-06, 06:00 AM
From the same article about Arod changing his mind

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/04/sports/baseball/04chass.html
Rivera was another Yankees player who insulted his country. He said he would not play for Panama because Panama didn't have a chance to win the tournament.

shutout
01-04-06, 06:17 AM
From the same article about Arod changing his mind

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/04/sports/baseball/04chass.html

lol yeah you don't make friends in your own country by saying stuff like that....

ryanthe13th
01-04-06, 09:07 AM
This tornument is a joke. The only way I will watch this is if I get free tickets to go, which is unlikely at this point.

Hopefully this can serve as Spring Training for the guys who do go. If they play in the WBC, I doubt that they will be worked real hard in Spring Training.

MassNYYfan
01-04-06, 10:00 AM
This tornument is a joke.

Sure is. :mad: