PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Zone marathon

Barb51850
01-01-06, 08:29 PM
I've been enjoying the Twilight Zone marathon on the Sci-Fi channel this weekend. That was such a great show - excellent writing, direction, and acting.

Evil Empire
01-01-06, 08:31 PM
That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

Big_E
01-01-06, 08:44 PM
I TiVo'd two of my favorite episodes -- Time Enough at Last and To Serve Man. :)

Archer1979
01-01-06, 08:45 PM
I TiVo'd two of my favorite episodes -- Time Enough at Last and To Serve Man. :)

To Serve Man is on at midnight tonight.

Evil Empire
01-01-06, 08:49 PM
The only episode I saw was something about the word dinosaur and it replacing another word in the English language or something. It was weird.

Maybe that was something else :dunno:

Barb51850
01-01-06, 08:53 PM

Those are two of my favorites also. If I had to pick my #1, it would be "Walking Distance" but there are so many good ones. The one starring Telly Savalas about the talking doll is a hoot - "My name is Talkie Tina, and I'm going to KILL you."

Barb51850
01-01-06, 08:55 PM
To Serve Man is on at midnight tonight.

I'll be watching. Even though I know the ending, it still gives me the creeps.

Snatch Catch
01-01-06, 09:33 PM
I used to be a fanatic about that show, taping the marathons on WPIX when I was younger.

The writing is just brilliant. I remember going to the MOTV&R a number of years ago when they had an introspective on Serling. Great, great stuff.

S2
01-01-06, 09:44 PM
I have two of the DVD box sets. I haven't watched all the episodes yet, but I love the ones I've seen.

__starr69
01-01-06, 10:16 PM
"Number Twelve Looks Just Like You", "The Obsolete Man", and "He's Alive" are my favorites.

I remember being younger and watching this late at night with my mother sometimes, not having any idea what was going on. :lol:

I thought the marathon ended at midnight, but I see it ends at 6AM. I probably won't make it that long, but at least it's not almost over.

Jersey Yankee
01-01-06, 10:34 PM
Can people describe some of their favorite episodes, rather than just naming them? It would be great for those of us who aren't Serling fanatics?

Two of my favorite was one in which a man complained that people were so much different than himself, and wanted everyone to be just like him. He got his wish, and then had a small army of folks who were just like him. Made him rethink that last thought.

Then there was the man who didn't ever want to die. He had his wife on the roof, and she backed into the ledge, and then she fell. Someone saw them, so the police said he'd pushed her, so he had to spend his life in jail. Just when he thought his idea was foolproof.

Any more from others? I also loved the ideas and writing behind this series.

Barb51850
01-01-06, 10:38 PM
Can people describe some of their favorite episodes, rather than just naming them? It would be great for those of us who aren't Serling fanatics?

My personal favorite is "Walking Distance" - in this episode a man (who is 36 years old and under great stress at work) goes back in time to see his home town as it was when he was a boy. He suddenly sees a boy, and realizes it is himself. He chases the boy, who falls under a merry-go-round and hurts his leg. The man says "Martin, I only wanted to tell you to enjoy this time of your life." Go here to read more about this episode.

http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tz/twilightzone1-5.html

Here is Serling's closing narration:

"Martin Sloan, age 36, vice president in charge of media. Successful at most things, but not at the one effort that most men try at some time in their lives—trying to go home again. And also, like all men, perhaps there will be an occasion—maybe a summer night sometime—when he'll look up at what he's doing and listen to the distant music of a calliope, and hear the voices and the laughter of the people and the places of his past. And perhaps across his mind there'll flit a little errant wish—that a man might not have to become old—never outgrow the parks and the merry-go-rounds of his youth. And he'll smile then, too, because he'll know it is just an errant wish. Some wisp of memory, not too important, really. Some laughing ghost that could cross a man's mind—that are a part of The Twilight Zone."

S2
01-01-06, 10:46 PM
I liked this one. It's about a hitchiker who keeps showing up during a woman's cross country drive. Creepy.

http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tz/twilightzone1-16.html

__starr69
01-01-06, 11:08 PM
I liked this one. It's about a hitchiker who keeps showing up during a woman's cross country drive. Creepy.

http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tz/twilightzone1-16.html

Also a really great episode (IMO).

He wasn't a hitchhicker, though.
Spoiler:

He was death. She died during the car accident in PA.

Snatch Catch
01-01-06, 11:08 PM
I love "Night Call."

It is one of the most heartbreaking and depressing situations I could ever think of.

Plus, it's REALLY creepy...

Miss Alva Keene is a bitter old woman who lives a lonely existence in rural Maine. She is confined to a wheelchair due to an automobile accident she suffered in her youth. Her only companion is her nurse, Margaret, who stolidly endures Miss Keene's frequent complaints and demands. One storm-lashed night, Alva is awakened by a phone call. She asks who is there but receives nothing but static. More calls of a similar nature follow, leading to fear and exasperation on Miss Keene's part. A telephone repairman finds no problem with the phone. Then a call comes and an unearthly groaning is heard on the other end, like someone trying to speak with a mouthful of dirt. Further calls bring intelligible words..."Hello?" the quavering voice asks. Terrified beyond reason, Alva screams for the caller to leave her alone. Soon, Alva and Margaret find the reason for the strange calls...an eerie reason that has links to Miss Keene's troubled past.

"Night Call" is a masterpiece of weird and moody suspense. Lacking anything that could be called action, the episode is full of foreboding from the first minute to the last. Much of this is due to the superb direction of Jacques Tourneur, a student of the great Val Lewton. Like Lewton, Tourneur is a master of light and shadow and the subtle touches that cause gooseflesh to creep in on the viewer.

Veteran actress Gladys Cooper, who was also in the TZ episode "Nothing In the Dark", does well as the crotchety Miss Keene. She plays a woman of strong will who has let her stubbornness make her bitter. Miss Keene can never escape her past, even when she is given a second chance. Much as Serling's narration states, she has made her bed and now gets to lie in it. Even so, she evokes sympathy.

The eerie voice on the phone completely creeped me out. Even after the initial viewing, it causes the hair to rise on the back of my neck. There's something just completely morbid about that wavering, watery "Hell...O? Hell...O?" that makes me look over my shoulder when hearing it.

The next time you pick up the phone, picture that ghostly voice on the other end and see if you can repress a shudder!

JfromJersey
01-01-06, 11:11 PM
My favorite is "Eye of the Beholder". Pretty shocking ending for it's time.

Snatch Catch
01-01-06, 11:12 PM
"A Stop At Willoughby" is another one that I love.

Barb51850
01-01-06, 11:22 PM
I love "Night Call."

It is one of the most heartbreaking and depressing situations I could ever think of.

Plus, it's REALLY creepy...

I saw this one earlier today during the marathon. It was very creepy and sad. That voice on the phone is so chilling.

__starr69
01-01-06, 11:23 PM

"Number Twelve Looks Just Like You" - In order to eliminate uglyness, a doctor/surgeon makes operations (the Transformation) that makes everyone look like everyone else. This Transformation also changes the way people think. Marilyn doesn't want to go surrender to the Transformation -- she feels that what makes her beautiful is what she already is.

http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tz/twilightzone5-17.html

"The Obsolete Man" -- Religion and books are banned, and punishable by death. Woodsworth was a religious librarian. He was deemed "obsolete" by the Chancellor of the State.

http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tz/twilightzone2-29.html

Barb51850
01-01-06, 11:25 PM
To Serve Man is on now.

S2
01-01-06, 11:40 PM
I am so watching some episodes tomorrow.

DontHateOnNumber2
01-02-06, 12:12 AM
I was just about to start this thread, but thanks for beating me to it. Great stuff, every New Year's Eve I start watching some of the marathon, since I was probably 9. Last night me and my girlfriend watched it until about 2am then went to sleep. One of the best shows I've ever seen. The stories in them were so deep that they pretty much stay fresh even now, but I love when Serling says things like "The time? 1999." rather than "the present" just because none of those crazy things have actually happened......or so it seems. :eek:

DontHateOnNumber2
01-02-06, 12:15 AM
I liked "Death Ship" (I only knew the title because I saw it today!) which is when a ship crashes on Mars(?) and the men find another downed ship, they board it and realize that the men that are dead aboard the ship are themselves, but the captain is in denial and tells them it's not true. His subordinates follow his orders on refusing to admit that they are dead and they spend eternity reliving their deaths.

DontHateOnNumber2
01-02-06, 12:19 AM
I was also telling my girlfriend that I pretty much thought Serling was a flippin' pimp with words. His opening and closing narrations are so articulate and detailed. It really made me feel like I was watching a show much more sophisticated than I was at a pretty young age, but since I understood what was going on I think that's what drew me in.

Barb51850
01-02-06, 08:40 AM
I was just about to start this thread, but thanks for beating me to it. Great stuff, every New Year's Eve I start watching some of the marathon, since I was probably 9. Last night me and my girlfriend watched it until about 2am then went to sleep. One of the best shows I've ever seen. The stories in them were so deep that they pretty much stay fresh even now, but I love when Serling says things like "The time? 1999." rather than "the present" just because none of those crazy things have actually happened......or so it seems. :eek:

I had the same thought. Most of the topics in those episodes are still relevant and most of them do not seem dated - "Number 12 Looks Just Like You", or "He's Alive" where the Neo Nazi hears the ghost of Hitler talking to him.

thecaptain
01-02-06, 10:28 AM
Time Enough At Last http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tz/twilightzone1-8.html http://www.tv.com/the-twilight-zone/show/237/episode_guide.html&season=1 i like seeing all the people who were on the show before they became stars. http://www.scifi.com/twilightzone/episodes/index.html

Tifoso
03-31-08, 05:40 PM
When does it start?

JDPNYY
03-31-08, 06:26 PM
When does it start?

Drudging up old outdated threads again Lou?

If you want to see a Twilight Zone marathon just do a search of Brad's posts. Sit back and read away...

BronxBaumer
04-01-08, 07:45 AM
8am on 12/31...we have some time luckily to get the popped corn ready.

Big_E
04-01-08, 08:38 AM
You'd think an administrator would be able to see that this thread is over 2 years old

Tifoso
04-01-08, 12:36 PM
You'd think an administrator would be able to see that this thread is over 2 years old

An administrator would have caught it in a minute.

We mods are a dumb lot, though:D

xenadanielle
07-03-09, 06:20 PM
Do we need a new thread? "Night of the Meek" will be on @ 7:30 & "Walking Distance" 8pm...

:gulp:

NYYDragoon
07-03-09, 06:53 PM
They were showing the 80s revival yesterday and early today. A lot of them weren't half bad.

xenadanielle
07-03-09, 07:00 PM
They were showing the 80s revival yesterday and early today. A lot of them weren't half bad.

This is the second time I have watched "Night of the Meek" and just realized how "The Santa Clause" sort of plagiarized.....Art Carney is so great in the former.

NYYDragoon
07-03-09, 07:20 PM
I honestly am not a fan of the episode.

Casey37
07-03-09, 07:23 PM
Meh. I've watched almost every TZ episode at least twice. Been there, done that.

Barb51850
07-03-09, 07:24 PM
Do we need a new thread? "Night of the Meek" will be on @ 7:30 & "Walking Distance" 8pm...

:gulp:

I am watching "Walking Distance" now. It makes me cry every time, especially when he says to his childhood self - "Martin, I only wanted to tell you that this is a wonderful time of life for you. Don't let any of it go by without enjoying it"

Rocketbooster
07-03-09, 10:38 PM
I am watching "Walking Distance" now. It makes me cry every time, especially when he says to his childhood self - "Martin, I only wanted to tell you that this is a wonderful time of life for you. Don't let any of it go by without enjoying it"

I like the episode, but it's not my favorite.......not by far. I can't tell if Martin is going to be happy afterwards or not. I thought maybe so after the father tells him that his regular life has carousels and ice cream if he looks for them (or something like that), but the ending is rather bittersweet.

I prefer A Stop at Willoughby - kind of a similar storyline. Gart is played by James Daly, Tyne and Tim Daly's father.

shotz
07-03-09, 11:25 PM
Twilight Zone marathon???? no way, theres a Twilight Zone marathon??

xenadanielle
07-04-09, 05:34 PM
"My name is Talky Tina and I love you very much!" bwhahaaaaaaaa

"My name is Talky Tina and you'll be sorry!"

"The Howling Man" was just on and I am sufficiently freaked out...:lol:

OlgMvp
07-04-09, 05:46 PM
SO GLAD the talking tina episode is on right now.

DontHateOnNumber2
07-04-09, 05:52 PM
I've been watching Twilight Zone for about 2 hours. I tend to watch a good couple of episodes during these marathons, which SciFi has for every holiday. Which has me wondering whether they'll continue doing it once they rebrand the network. Stupid rebranding already made G4 nearly unwatchable and almost completely severed the connection to video games.

xenadanielle
07-04-09, 05:55 PM
SO GLAD the talking tina episode is on right now.

"My name is Talking Tina and I don't forgive you!" mwwwaaaahahhaaaaaa

__starr69
07-04-09, 08:42 PM
ugh I totally forgot about this! And I don't have SciFi on my own TV.

Barb51850
07-04-09, 10:30 PM
The episode that just ended was very powerful - about the SS Captain who goes back to visit the concentration camp.

Mantle'sMutt
07-05-09, 09:39 AM
There's someone on the wing......some thing.

I Shot an Arrow in the Air is probably my favorite, though.

dabomb2045
07-05-09, 05:56 PM
My personal favorite is the one where the passenger jet breaks the time barrier....they go back to the time of the dinosaurs....they try to go back thru the barrier again, only to end up in 1939 and have confused convos with the LaGuardia control tower who never heard of a "jet" or "radar".

shotz
07-05-09, 07:51 PM
good ole Rip saved the old man from an eternity of fire and sulpher stench. Good boy Rip!!!!

xenadanielle
07-05-09, 08:15 PM
My personal favorite is the one where the passenger jet breaks the time barrier....they go back to the time of the dinosaurs....they try to go back thru the barrier again, only to end up in 1939 and have confused convos with the LaGuardia control tower who never heard of a "jet" or "radar".

I watched that episode yesterday--I had never seen it before. Of course we never find out what happens....:eek:

Barb51850
07-05-09, 08:27 PM

That episode is so creepy, even with the almost primitive special effects. :eek:

Barb51850
07-05-09, 08:32 PM
I don't know the title of this episode, but it's about a low life guy who loves to gamble and is a womanizer. He dies and goes "somewhere" - in this place he wins every game and can have any woman he wants. Of course, he thinks it is heaven and at first he loves it. Then he begins to get bored due to the lack of challenges. He says to one of the men in charge - "I don't like heaven. It's boring. I want to go to the OTHER place." The man replies - "Whatever gave you the idea you were in HEAVEN?....This IS the OTHER place."

NYYDragoon
07-05-09, 08:52 PM
I don't know the title of this episode, but it's about a low life guy who loves to gamble and is a womanizer. He dies and goes "somewhere" - in this place he wins every game and can have any woman he wants. Of course, he thinks it is heaven and at first he loves it. Then he begins to get bored due to the lack of challenges. He says to one of the men in charge - "I don't like heaven. It's boring. I want to go to the OTHER place." The man replies - "Whatever gave you the idea you were in HEAVEN?....This IS the OTHER place."Eh, it would be good if it weren't so predictable. I saw it coming from a mile away.

Barb51850
07-06-09, 08:22 AM
Eh, it would be good if it weren't so predictable. I saw it coming from a mile away.

I saw it coming also, but I still loved the way that guy delivered the line at the end -

"This IS the OTHER PLACE!"