PDA

View Full Version : Stay Away From Munich

CyYoung4Vazquez
12-27-05, 01:28 PM
I saw Spielberg's latest this weekend and was very disapointed. It was way too long and almost boring. It had no flow and the ending was thrown together. Eric Bana is pretty good, but other than that save your money.

gdn
12-27-05, 01:53 PM
I thought you meant the city....

RhodyYanksFan
12-27-05, 02:08 PM
2 of my friends saw it and said it was wonderful.

ZYanksRule
12-27-05, 02:29 PM
It was decent, but my mother was GREATLY offended, she thought it was extrememly, blantantly anti-Israel and anti-Semetic, and I do not disagree with her on that one.

There were alot of moments where the Palestinians are almost glorified in the film, which was weird, to put it mildly...

RhodyYanksFan
12-27-05, 02:37 PM
It was decent, but my mother was GREATLY offended, she thought it was extrememly, blantantly anti-Israel and anti-Semetic, and I do not disagree with her on that one.

There were alot of moments where the Palestinians are almost glorified in the film, which was weird, to put it mildly...

A guy named Speilberg, who directed Schindler's List, would not make an anti-semetic movie. Your mom is way off.

Jim F.
12-27-05, 02:37 PM

There were alot of moments where the Palestinians are almost glorified in the film, which was weird, to put it mildly...Yeah, considering:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1445237

corynnmarie
12-27-05, 02:43 PM
I really wanted this movie to be good. I've seen almost no reviews on it, however.

JWHIII
12-27-05, 02:47 PM
Any fans of Bana should rent "Chopper" which is a great movie. I plan on seeing Munich, anything with Spielberg involved is usually worth my money.

BronxByTheBay
12-27-05, 02:47 PM
A guy named Speilberg, who directed Schindler's List, would not make an anti-semetic movie. Your mom is way off.

Probably not anti-semitic, but possibly misguided. I haven't seen the film yet, so who knows. Spielberg, however, did use Tony Kushner to write the screenplay. Kushner is a well-known leftwing playwright so that doesn't bode well.

Tifoso
12-27-05, 02:50 PM

I won't be seeing it, Seth. Too many Jewish friends.

I must say, now you guys know what we Catholics feel like after almost every movie made which portrays the Church. :(

RhodyYanksFan
12-27-05, 02:50 PM
Probably not anti-semitic, but possibly misguided. I haven't seen the film yet, so who knows. Spielberg, however, did use Tony Kushner to write the screenplay. Kushner is a well-known leftwing playwright so that doesn't bode well.

What playwright/artist isn't leftwing?

BronxByTheBay
12-27-05, 02:52 PM
What playwright/artist isn't leftwing?

Good question, but this guy's stuff is usually very politically-motivated. His name attached to the project doesn't suggest balance. Then again, as I said, I haven't seen the film so I certainly can be way off on the finished product.

Perhaps I'll go later today.

ZYanksRule
12-27-05, 04:46 PM

I saw it too, and as good as Schindler's List was, that's how bad this was from a Jew's POV....

nahzo
12-28-05, 11:55 PM
I didn't think it was a bad movie, per se, but then again, I wasn't born yet when the events in the movie transpired, so I have no idea as to how accurate it was or how favorable the movie was towards either group. I thought the story and the acting were good.

It seems to me that just about every movie made that is even remotely based on something controversial, is controversial. If that surprises anyone, get a clue.

There is a scene in the movie where Avner (Bana) converses with a Muslim of some such in a stairwell and they go back and forth about Palestine and Israel, their "causes," etc. I thought the Palestinian side was kind of overplayed, but that might be just me.

Nearly all of the graphic footage of Israeli athletes and Black September terrorists getting killed was in a dramatic slow motion type of sequence, and since they all pretty much die, I don't see how anyone can say one side was more glorified than the other, at least in regards to that.

Maybe if the reasons for people saying one side was more biased than the other were posted, I'd be more inclined to agree.

Mark19
12-29-05, 12:50 AM
Eric Bana put together an incredible performance but the movie was a bit underwhelming. It was a inconsistent mix of a political thriller, a human drama and an action-suspense film.

penguin4
12-29-05, 12:43 PM

Yeah, considering:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1445237Maybe that's what makes it such a landmark film, because both sides think it's anti-them. I haven't seen it yet, but Spielberg obviously did well to capture both sides.

JfromJersey
12-29-05, 10:11 PM
The film wasn't blantantly pro or anti Israeli, nor pro or anti Palestinian. Both points of view were expressed. It was more a film about violence breeding further violence, revenge breeding more revenge, and how humanity is lost in it's vicious cycle.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-11-06, 03:43 PM
I saw the movie last night. Not a big fan of Speilberg, but this was one of his best, right up there with Ryan and Schindlers List. He is a very good story teller

GiambiRocks
01-11-06, 04:03 PM
I saw Munich at a special screening when I was visiting California last month. Not sure how many of you are old enough to remember back to that time. This movie is a fitting tribute to the brave athletes who lost their lives on that fateful day in 1972. The recreation of the tragedy is shot in graphic detail and there are no punches pulled in showing the horror and confusion of the whole event. Political debate aside, the movie works brilliantly as a spy thriller with characters, photography and music that sucks you into that world.

I think Spielberg deserves kudos for having the courage to come out with this movie at a time when the peace process is at a halt, and violence has shown itself to be an enemy of a Palestinian-Israeli peace effort.

RhodyYanksFan
01-11-06, 04:27 PM
I saw the movie last night. Not a big fan of Speilberg, but this was one of his best, right up there with Ryan and Schindlers List. He is a very good story teller

Did it finally have a wide release up here? I saw in the paper it was only in Warwick last week.

NYDCYankee
01-12-06, 06:16 AM
The film wasn't blantantly pro or anti Israeli, nor pro or anti Palestinian. Both points of view were expressed. It was more a film about violence breeding further violence, revenge breeding more revenge, and how humanity is lost in it's vicious cycle.

I completely agree. I thought the movie was riveting and really did not feel that the movie was anti-Israel at all.

Is it wrong for Speilberg to say maybe all the fighting isn't worth it for either side and that maybe there is a more effective way to reach peace rather than violence. Is that anti-Semitic?

Is it wrong to show that terrorists have families and that some carry normal lives outside of their evil doings? I say no, because terrorist DO have families and lives outside their evil. Does that make me feel sympathy for them? No.

Another important theme I thought was that the violence breeds paranoia.

No matter how you view the film though Rush and Bana were both fantastic and deserve Oscar nominations.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-12-06, 09:37 AM
Did it finally have a wide release up here? I saw in the paper it was only in Warwick last week.

It went into wide release on the 6th. It was at 3 theatres last week, its only at the PPM and Warwick Showcase now. Its close to 3 hours, so we hadda wait to find a good time to see it

JWHIII
01-12-06, 09:49 AM
Just curious what you don't like about Speilberg?

RhodeyYankee2638
01-12-06, 02:47 PM
Just curious what you don't like about Speilberg?

He is a very good story teller, and his early work is fantastic. But he gets some pretty easy scripts that don't require much skill at directing. He is a good directory, but I dont think he can be put into the same category as a Hitchcock, a Kubrick or a Capra

PeteRFNY
01-12-06, 11:23 PM
I don't plan to see this, mainly because I have several Jewish friends that were absolutely furious after seeing it. Not because it's blatantly anti-Israel or pro-Palestinian, more because of the film's naieve take on the incident; the refusal to portray things as "right" or "wrong".

Guess I'll catch it on HBO one day and decide for myself.

Secondly. I remember fondly when Speilberg used to make films like "Jaws", "Close Encounters", "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "1941" and "Back To The Future". I'm not exactly in love with "super-serious-Stevie-Spielberg". The guy has definitely started taking himself WAY too seriously.

NYDCYankee
01-12-06, 11:37 PM
I don't plan to see this, mainly because I have several Jewish friends that were absolutely furious after seeing it. Not because it's blatantly anti-Israel or pro-Palestinian, more because of the film's naieve take on the incident; the refusal to portray things as "right" or "wrong".

I thinks saying violence is "wrong" is taking a strong stance.

What did your friends think was naive?

JfromJersey
01-13-06, 12:10 AM
Secondly. I remember fondly when Speilberg used to make films like "Jaws", "Close Encounters", "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "1941" and "Back To The Future". I'm not exactly in love with "super-serious-Stevie-Spielberg". The guy has definitely started taking himself WAY too seriously.

I'm not sure what you mean by "taking himself way too seriously". He has made films that address very serious subjects (Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Munich) that are very good films, and some recent films (War of the Worlds, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal) whose subjects weren't serious, and weren't especially good Spielberg films.
BTW.. Back to the Future is not Spielberg. It's Zemeckis.

penguin4
01-13-06, 12:12 AM
BTW.. Back to the Future is not Spielberg. It's Zemeckis.
Zemeckis directed, but Spielberg was the executive producer.

PeteRFNY
01-13-06, 07:39 AM
Zemeckis directed, but Spielberg was the executive producer.

That's what I was aiming at. I guess what I should have said was "fun" movies of all genres. Jaws was a good, FUN horror flick. Stuff like War of the Worlds, Catch Me If You Can and The Terminal, while not super-serious were missing that spark of his earlier work.

I once read a great quote and I forget who said it, so I'm paraphrasing - but some famous director once said, "You have to make films for the fun of it. Once you start trying to win an Oscar every time you make a movie, then you're missing the whole point of filmmaking". And that's kind of how I feel about Speilberg these days.

Having not seen the movie myself, I can only go by what friends have told me, which was basically the "naieve" tag was based on the underlying (but admittedly unspoken) theme that if the Palestinians were just left alone then everyone would get along, which IS naieve thinking.

Like I said, when it makes the rounds on cable, I'll judge for myself.

NYDCYankee
01-13-06, 08:07 AM
Having not seen the movie myself, I can only go by what friends have told me, which was basically the "naieve" tag was based on the underlying (but admittedly unspoken) theme that if the Palestinians were just left alone then everyone would get along, which IS naieve thinking.

I didn't get that vibe. But then again I am not Speilberg so those could have very well been his intentions.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-13-06, 08:09 AM

I also agree. As a person that watches a lot of films, he definitly doesn't have his own style. You can't tell one Spielberg picture from another. His old stuff was awsome

yankeebot
01-13-06, 08:22 AM
I am not a big fan of Speilberg's historical movies. Not anything really against him but too many people take them to be historically accurate when, in fact, they are not. I also dislike the way he so blatantly attempts to manipulate the viewer's emotions. All movie makers manipulate but the really greats are much more subtle.

JWHIII
01-13-06, 08:57 AM
I am not a big fan of Speilberg's historical movies. Not anything really against him but too many people take them to be historically accurate when, in fact, they are not.
I agree, as a historian myself, I know that the Nazis actually captured Indiana Jones and had him killed.

yankeebot
01-13-06, 08:58 AM
I agree, as a historian myself, I know that the Nazis actually captured Indiana Jones and had him killed.
Well, duh!

Kiwiwriter
01-13-06, 09:25 AM
My brother tells me the city isn't too hot, either, except for the giant chessboard in a platz, with oversized chess pieces. People play chess games there until 4 a.m.

Dachau, nearby, is harrowing. :(

QueenGRH
01-13-06, 11:39 AM
I completely agree. I thought the movie was riveting and really did not feel that the movie was anti-Israel at all.

Is it wrong for Speilberg to say maybe all the fighting isn't worth it for either side and that maybe there is a more effective way to reach peace rather than violence. Is that anti-Semitic?

Is it wrong to show that terrorists have families and that some carry normal lives outside of their evil doings? I say no, because terrorist DO have families and lives outside their evil. Does that make me feel sympathy for them? No.

Another important theme I thought was that the violence breeds paranoia.

No matter how you view the film though Rush and Bana were both fantastic and deserve Oscar nominations.

I completely agree with everything you said! Rather than the purpose of the movie being some kind of political statement, I felt like it was more of a statement about the cycle of terrorism, paranoia and retribution.

NewAmsterdamYankee
02-22-06, 03:56 AM
Saw the movie last night.
A great movie in my opinion.
Especially luved the link (showing the Twin Towers in the closing shot) from the Israeli/Palistinians conflict to the Iraq / El Quada conflict and of course Spielbergs opinion about how the US government chose to respond.

Arod for President
02-22-06, 08:45 AM
I just love all the mixed reviews we get on these movie threads..

I always leave this thread more confused about wanting to seeing the movie than I do comming in ;)

JfromJersey
02-22-06, 12:17 PM
I just love all the mixed reviews we get on these movie threads..

I always leave this thread more confused about wanting to seeing the movie than I do comming in ;)

I usually go to see films made by directors I respect. Then I form my own opinions. If it's made by an unknown director, and gets almost unanimously excellent reviews (MRQE), or a friend recommends it, I might also see it. I went to see Munich because I like Spielberg, and I thought it was a good film, regardless of whether or not you agree with the POV.

RIyankee
02-22-06, 12:59 PM

This is why I didn't watch it and never will.

BTW There's a little known movie about the Munich tragedy that came out in 1986. It's called Sword of Gideon, with Michael York. The only time I saw it was about 18 years ago, but I remember enough to know it was a great movie. I just found out that Netfix has it.

Nome
02-22-06, 01:23 PM
Anti Semitic? You gotta be nuts. Do you think Speilberg would do an anti Semitic movie?

Anyway, I saw it and thought it was a great movie. One of many great movies I've seen this year.

Andy

NYDCYankee
02-22-06, 07:12 PM
BTW There's a little known movie about the Munich tragedy that came out in 1986. It's called Sword of Gideon, with Michael York. The only time I saw it was about 18 years ago, but I remember enough to know it was a great movie. I just found out that Netfix has it.

If you think Sword Of Gideon was a great movie than you shouldn't be so upset by this movie. It was based on the same book and from all accounts is pretty much the same film.

RhodyYanksFan
06-08-06, 07:32 PM
I just watched this on DVD and I want to know when it sympathized with the Palestinians? To me it showed how monstorous some of these people can be. To hate a people that much that you feel the need to senselessly murder a bunch of athletes at the Olympics makes me feel even more less optimistic about the future of the middle east. Add on the fact that the same thing is still going on today shows proves that revenge doesn't breed peace, but watching the movie and seeing his take on the events (I wasn't alive in 1972) I wholeheartedly agree with what Israel did, even if it didn't bring about the end of terrorism.

As far as the film goes, I think all the principal actors were outstanding. Bana at least deserved a nomination.

Dannman103
06-09-06, 10:13 AM
I just watched this on DVD and I want to know when it sympathized with the Palestinians? To me it showed how monstorous some of these people can be. To hate a people that much that you feel the need to senselessly murder a bunch of athletes at the Olympics makes me feel even more less optimistic about the future of the middle east. Add on the fact that the same thing is still going on today shows proves that revenge doesn't breed peace, but watching the movie and seeing his take on the events (I wasn't alive in 1972) I wholeheartedly agree with what Israel did, even if it didn't bring about the end of terrorism.

As far as the film goes, I think all the principal actors were outstanding. Bana at least deserved a nomination.

nice bump...saw the movie in theaters and thought it was good and very powerful...didn't see the anti-semitism either...it seemed more to be questioning both sides, but in no way "glorifying" the palestinians

JfromJersey
06-09-06, 12:53 PM
nice bump...saw the movie in theaters and thought it was good and very powerful...didn't see the anti-semitism either...it seemed more to be questioning both sides, but in no way "glorifying" the palestinians

To think that Spielberg would make an anti-semitic film is laughable.

ChocolateGirl
06-24-06, 02:53 AM
My dad rented this movie about 3 weeks ago. I thought Speilberg did a good job as usual. It was in no way shape or form an anti-semitic movie.

In Mo I Trust
06-24-06, 08:57 AM
I saw this movie a while back, it was excellent. Great ending.

penguin4
06-25-06, 09:48 PM
My dad rented this movie about 3 weeks ago. I thought Speilberg did a good job as usual. It was in no way shape or form an anti-semitic movie.100% agree. I can see how easily it can be misconstrued if you're going in with that attitude, but to call it "anti-semitic" jumps to conculsions and misses the point completely. It is, however, a quite Liberal societal/political commentary, in light of current events -- take that as you will. (And seems these days people often misassociate "Liberal" with "Pro-Palestinian", as though if you're one you automatically stand for the other... I'll leave it at that, as to save myself from a political rant.) Still, a very powerful film, and definitely a must-see (or, rather, "must rent", now), whether or not you agree with it and the bigger picture.