PDA

View Full Version : Two members of JCPD (Jersey City) died Christmas night ...

Jersey Yankee
12-26-05, 10:04 AM
when their ESU (Emergency Service Unit) drove off the drawbridge connecting to Kearny, I think. It was by Communipaw Ave and the 1-9 driveway, near Route 440 in Jersey City, NJ. An ESU is like a swat truck about the size of a medium-sized ambulance.

It was on Fox News last night, and there were the Coast Guard, cops from Bergen County, even the NYPD there. The water temperature was about 41°F, so the hope for survival was very low.

Very sad news to hear.

R-I-P :( :( :(

R-I-P :( :( :(

Our ESUs look something like this:

http://nycfire.net/messar/albums/police/WPESUb.jpg

Jersey Yankee
12-26-05, 10:33 AM
The department chief said that it was the Hackensack Bridge, and that the bells sounding the bridge's coming up weren't working, from something on December 23rd, so I guess that between this, the fog and being late at night, they might not have had a chance to stop.

Man, that's rough.

chanman7483
12-26-05, 11:49 AM
Rip :(

Tifoso
12-26-05, 12:21 PM
May they RIP

Barb51850
12-26-05, 01:13 PM
This is so very sad. They, and their families, are in my prayers today.

Jersey Yankee
12-26-05, 07:36 PM
Rip :(
Strange thing is when returning from the FP, we'd driven right past that location. After we went past Route 440, made a right on Communipaw, we went right past there, where the right turn is.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think that only the Post carried it on their cover page. Not even the Jersey papers did, of what I've seen (Bergen Record, Jersey Journal, but haven't seen the Star-Ledger).

http://www.nypost.com/img/animatedc.gif

http://images.viacomlocalnetworks.com/images_963793526/lg

Two Jersey City Police Officers Dead (http://wcbs880.com/topstories/local_story_360073359.html)

JERSEY CITY, NEW JERSEY (WCBS-TV/WCBS-AM) Two police officers in an emergency truck plunged more than 40 feet off an open drawbridge in dense fog, and authorities said Monday they believe both died.

The body of one officer was recovered and authorities searched the frigid Hackensack River Monday for the second.

The vehicle fell into the river Sunday night, after the officers crossed the Lincoln Highway Bridge and placed flares to warn motorists the bridge's safety warning system was not operating, said police Chief Robert Troy.

The safety bar and bell used to warn motorists when the bridge is open had not been working for two days, Troy said.

Before the officers turned around and drove back across the river, the bridge's middle span was raised to allow a tug boat to go under.

"As dark as it was, as foggy as it was, as rainy as it was, they had no idea," Troy said.

hobokenfish
12-27-05, 09:43 AM
Just awful. I drive on the 1-9 truck route all the time, and it is chilling to think about what happened. :(

Jersey Yankee
12-27-05, 11:11 AM
Just awful. I drive on the 1-9 truck route all the time, and it is chilling to think about what happened. :(
That was the talk of the town at a watering hole I frequent, and this is a place w/some old-timers who've been living there for awhile.

First, we couldn't figure out why, if cops are assigned to a spot to put up flares, warn others, they didn't realize the bridge was going up. That part got me.

Another was that someone mentioned that this bridge had been having mechanical troubles for about 20 years. This is from a guy I know, so I'll take his word.

They've gotta fix that bridge. Oh, and each of the Jersey Journey and the Bergen-Record did have cover stories on this, but I didn't look hard enough. You'd a thunk something in front of my nose would've been visible. :o :(

The location is where the 1 & 9 meets Route 440, which is at Communipaw Ave, a major block in Jersey City.

hobokenfish
12-27-05, 11:28 AM
The location is where the 1 & 9 meets Route 440, which is at Communipaw Ave, a major block in Jersey City.

Was it the bridge just before getting to the light (where 1-9 hangs a left, 440 is to the right, and then 1-9 turns into Communipaw)? Whenever I drive on that bridge I wonder how old it is and how safe. And last winter, I remember that the damn bridge was up during a rush hour snow storm. It was completely infuriating, and traffic was backed up all the way to Newark.

Jersey Yankee
12-27-05, 07:33 PM
Was it the bridge just before getting to the light (where 1-9 hangs a left, 440 is to the right, and then 1-9 turns into Communipaw)? Whenever I drive on that bridge I wonder how old it is and how safe. And last winter, I remember that the damn bridge was up during a rush hour snow storm. It was completely infuriating, and traffic was backed up all the way to Newark.
I'm not too sure, since I only know the locale, but don't use it at all.

Unlike other drawbridges which rise at 45°angles, this one rises vertically like an elevator straight up.

I'm tired of searching nj.com for some article whose name I don't know, so this is from today's Bergen Record:

2 cops in death plunge (http://northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk1MjgmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY4NDY2NzkmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXky)

State officials on Monday defended the soundness of a bridge whose malfunction led to the Christmas night deaths of two Jersey City police officers.

Divers, meanwhile, searched for one victim's body in the Hackensack River.

"We don't think there's any problem from an engineering perspective or a structural perspective," said Brendan Gill, a spokesman for the state Department of Transportation. "The bridge is safe."

The Routes 1 and 9/Lincoln Highway Bridge, between Jersey City and Kearny, was raised for commercial boating traffic twice on Saturday and once Sunday without incident, he said.

DontHateOnNumber2
12-29-05, 05:00 AM
I didn't see this earlier, it's so terrible. My condolences to their families and may they rest in peace. :(

Yankeees
12-29-05, 09:23 PM
They found the second cops body.

I heard it on the news.

Jersey Yankee
12-30-05, 01:38 PM
They found the second cops body.

I heard it on the news.
Yeah, I just heard this today. About 90 ft from where the F550 fell into the water. I spoke to one of the guys from Hudson County and he said that there was sewage like tires and all kinds of junk, so it's like a garbage disposal down there. He hadn't drifted into Newark Bay after all.

I met one of the cops from the NYPD Scuba unit, who said they were the ones who got the 2nd cop out.

Meanwhile, the funeral for the first cop was held today from around 9am to 11am. He'll be buried in Union, NJ, from what I got from the JCPD cops there.

Tons of cops from all over. Ever city in NJ, NYPD and even from Hartford, CT. Bagpipes and various fire departments from NJ, EMTs. I even met a few cops I'd known already.

For the Honor Guards in the first row, I took a picture of someone who identified him as the 1st cop's regular partner (the cop in the procession was off on the fateful night), so it's a potpourri of emotions I'm feeling right now.

In the attached, 2nd from the left on the Honor Guard was pointed out to be the deceased officer's partner.

Jersey Yankee
01-04-06, 02:27 PM
Funeral for the 2nd cop, Robert Nguyen, whose body was found last Thursday, will be this Saturday.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--riverplunge-funer0104jan04,0,6502000.story?coll=ny-region-apnewjersey
Funeral for second Jersey City officer planned for Saturday

January 4, 2006, 10:52 AM EST

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) _ A funeral is to be held Saturday for one of two police officers killed Christmas night when their emergency services truck plunged off a fog-shrouded, open drawbridge.

The body of Officer Robert Nguyen was found last week in about 50 feet of water under concrete pilings in the Hackensack River.

Nguyen's funeral will be held at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday at the Jersey City Armory, Lt. Thomas Comey said.

Viewings for Nguyen are to be held Thursday from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday from noon to 8 p.m. at McLaughlin Funeral Home, police said.

Nguyen, 30, and Officer Shawn Carson, 40, died Dec. 25 when their truck plunged 45 feet from the Lincoln Highway Bridge and into the frigid river. Carson's body was found 90 minutes after the crash; his funeral was held Friday.

The officers had gone to the Kearny side of the bridge to drop off cones and flares to warn drivers that a warning system used to alert drivers when a boat is passing was broken. Before they returned, the bridge's operator raised its center span to allow a tug boat to pass. On their return trip to Jersey City, the officers' truck plummeted into the water.

CoyoteYankee
01-04-06, 03:56 PM
I just found out that Robert Nguyen is the ex-boyfriend of one of my good friends' sister. She went out with him for a couple of years and they were still friends. She is devastated and spent several days out there helping to look for his body. I feel really bad. The whole thing is very sad.

Jersey Yankee
01-04-06, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the info, CY. :D

An obit and funeral info from the Jersey Journal:

ROBERT NGUYEN
Services for Robert Nguyen Saturday at 9 a.m. at Armory (http://www.nj.com/obituaries/jjournal/index.ssf?/base/obits-3/1136369449165960.xml&coll=3)

By STEVEN LEMONGELLO JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
Wednesday, January 04, 2006
The Jersey Journal

Services for Officer Robert Nguyen, 30, a six-year veteran of the Jersey City Police Department, will be Saturday at 9 a.m. at the Jersey City Armory, 678 Montgomery St., at Summit Avenue.

A funeral procession will begin at 8 a.m. at McLaughlin Funeral Home, 625 Pavonia Ave., Jersey City, and proceed along Pavonia Avenue, John F. Kennedy Boulevard, Bergen Avenue and Montgomery Street to the Armory.

Viewing for Officer Nguyen will be tomorrow from 2 to 8 p.m. and Friday from noon to 8 p.m. at McLaughlin Funeral Home. Burial will be at Rose Hill Cemetery, Linden.

Nguyen died with his partner, Officer Shawn Carson, when their Emergency Services Unit truck plunged off an open liftbridge and into the Hackensack River on Christmas night.

Nguyen graduated at the top of his class at the Jersey City Police Academy in 2000. He was the leader of his squad and the recipient of an Excellence Award for achieving the highest overall rating in the fields of academics, physical fitness and firearms training.

Nguyen "was determined to be a Jersey City police officer," recalled his brother, Mason Nguyen. After an earlier stint at the academy was cut short due to a knee injury, Nguyen joined the New Jersey State Police for a short period before returning to the academy to fulfill his dream of becoming a Jersey City police officer.

"He took advantage of every opportunity he could to join the force," his brother said.

Nguyen started out in the department with the Special Investigations Unit, then was transferred to the Emergency Services Unit - which specializes in rescues, hostage stand-offs and other situations.

His brother said he wanted to be in a job where he could help people, "rather than someone who just busts people."

Nguyen was born during a stopover in Guam in 1975, when his family was in the process of moving from Vietnam to the United States. The Nguyens lived in Vermont and in Union City before moving to Jersey City in 1980.

Nguyen attended School 23 and School 11 in Jersey City, though he played basketball, football and baseball at St. Aedan's School, Jersey City. He also played those sports while attending Hudson Catholic High School.

He received a Bachelor of Science degree in criminal justice at Rutgers University.

"He was the kind of guy everybody wants to know," his brother said. "Someone you can trust .[thin].[thin]. a good friend."

Surviving are his mother and father, Bichvan and Trinh Nguyen; two brothers, Mason and Phe Nguyen; and many other relatives.

krystl
01-04-06, 11:43 PM
I actually just heard about this yesterday. I was away in Florida over Christmas vacation and didn't watch much news. How sad.

While in Florida, we encountered several draw bridges. The kind that go straight up. I can't imagine how they could drive up the span without knowing what was going on. It's so bizarre.

RIP :(